[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to take a shot at making a comic book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1447601282285.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447601282285.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
I have old grandpa syndrome and I've been thinking since I don't like modern comics maybe I could finally get around to making my own, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I've got character templates and story ideas for issues 0-11, but I don't have any character sketches, storyboards, dialogue or layout panels set up yet and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I can do a lot of the work myself, including the dialogue and layout panels, but the I need somebody for actual background art, character designs, and figure drawing.

From what I remember a lot of comics I read growing up started with pencil sketches then had someone draw an ink outline and fill it in with pen.
>>
>>
>>85758590
Do yourself a favor and don't bother. Nobody can get by without an established IP these days.
>>
>>85758590
I think maybe the truth is that I don't hate comics, I just hate what the left has done to them. I want to make comics that are more relatable to young, white, males who may be struggling with puberty and trying to establish their own identity.
>>
I mean, at some point, superheroes are going to get tired of propping up a society that treats them like garbage.

Not once has a superhero ever advocated violence towards the government, no matter how corrupt or tyrannical it turned out to be.

It kind of makes you wonder why never once has any "strongman" comic ever advocated the overthrow or succession from the United States government.

I mean, these are supposed to be moral people behaving morally, correct? Doing the right thing no matter what others might think of them?

So why has it never occurred to any of them that the government should be overthrown? After all, their every attempt at making a better society is inevitably thwarted by the systems failure to make good on its promises.

It allows criminals to go free, is incapable of keeping the people safe from harm, and stops people when they try to defend themselves or establish any kind of meaningful technological reforms or progress...

So who's funding these comic book companies anyway? You ever think Marvel or DC might be on uncle sam's payroll?
>>
File: 1428459650382.png (251KB, 336x374px) Image search: [Google]
1428459650382.png
251KB, 336x374px
>>
>>85759405
I only mention it because thats going to be the premise for my comics origin story, the succession West Coast from America leading to a near future timeline based in California.

California can be, and often is, a wonderful place to live, but there is a lack of martial pride and a general contempt for the armed forces that pervades here.

I want to change that, give people a real taste of classic liberalism (as compared to the neo-liberal ideology of today's world) and its values, and how they helped shape America into the great country it is today.
>>
>>85759562
lol
>>
>>85759618
You say that, but you really don't know how good you have it. Its true that America has been in a state of decline recently, but the rest of the world isn't in tip-top shape either.

We often forget that 2/3's of the world isn't living in lavish idolatry like most comic book fanatics, that there is still poverty and oppression in the world.
>>
The schism in america is causing a rift in our society that may very well tear us apart. Though its not the highlight of the comic I had in mind, its part of the background story and help shapes the plot and storyline.
>>
comic books are supposed to be fun. I get that. But if all people wanted was to see spongebob squarepants in print, then they could read that instead. I like the funny papers, but we've always had comics that weren't just about laughter they were also about morals, society, and the changing of the times.
>>
What i see is kids playing war. They have their own little gi joes and action figures called "captain america" or "deadpool" and they go on fantastic adventures and do silly things and generally have a good time spilling everybodies blood and guts all over the place.

But you know, war is serious business. Death and violence, crime, these are things that should be taken seriously. And who better to tell you about a war than a soldier? A soldier fighting for freedom, wrapped up in a cause they believe in, in a strange and confusing time where no one is sure who's right and who's wrong?

People are tired of looking to the past at old examples of what war was like a hundred years ago. We are, theoretically, at least, at peace, and the only place we have left to go to place us in the shoes of a veteran is the future.
>>
>3 unique IDs

This is literally just one guy with schizophrenia talking to himself.
>>
Of course, war as we know it, the good ol blood and guts, drop the bomb on em type stuff, its gone for good. New wars are fought with memetics, covert operations, coups, assisinations, sabotauge, with cell phones and riots in the streets.

War now a days is over in a matter of days, hours, or even minutes, but it is also a constant, never ending struggle with one war seeping into another, and another, in a chain that never ends.

What we see, what we imagine as peace, is actually a thousands tiny battles being fought each day, all around the world.
>>
>>85760087
Seriously, what the fuck.

>see OP about wanting to make comics
>thread has nothing to do with making comics
>>
While most of us simply want stability and peace, others ask, "at what price?" how far are we willing to go to preserve that stability? At what point do we ask ourselves when its time for change? Would anybody in todays world, no matter how bad things are where they live, be willing to fight the powers that be in order to create a better world?

At what point do the speeches end, the discussions cease, and the guns start firing, the bullets start flying?
>>
>>85760185
It has everything to do with comics.

In my opinion, a hero is somebody who fights for a cause that they believe and know to be just. How does beating the crap out of some random thug who robs a bank make the world a better place? How does the never ending cycle of violence that pervades the comic book world benefit anyone? Why is it even necessary? Why would any so called "hero" continue to struggle when its obvious that they are on the wrong side?
>>
>>85760301
I'll tell you why.

Its cause they are addicted. Addicted to the money, the fame, and the power. Addicted to the thrill of combat, the pleasure they receive from beating someone senseless and putting them back in their place over and over again.

Everytime the Rhino robs a bank or Lobo throws a party, they get a sick thrill knowing the next 5 years of that guys life are going to be spent in solitary confinement, that the only sunlight they are ever going to see is through the bars in their jail cell.

They don't want justice. They just want a piece of the action.
>>
You never see a super hero advocating the legalization of marijuana, even thought it is the fair, just, right, and sensible thing to do.

If spiderman catches a guy with a pound of weed on him, what do you think hes going to do to that poor slob? Hes going to send him up the Tombs for a royal assreaming, burying him under so much beaurocracy and paperwork that guy is never going to see the light of day.

Even when he gets out, if he gets so much as a fucking thousand dollar parking ticket that he can't afford to pay, he goes back to jail. His friends, his family, they treat him like a ghost.

I tell you what, half the guys these so called "villians" kill had it coming. The rest are portrayed as the "oh so innocent" victims of the villians horrendous crimes. Don't these people lie? Don't they cheat on their tax returns? Don't they buy lottery tickets? Didn't they vote Bush in a for a second term?

Its a classic example of hijacking the narrative to suit your own ends. You're never going to see Aunt May going on about the "negro problem" in NYC, but I bet you dollars to donuts she sure as fuck does.
>>
And this is what I mean by the fact that comic books are teaching kids neo-liberalism. Something that does little to differenciate itself from facism. The differences between neo-liberalism and conservative thinking are mostly cosmetic.

Comics back in the day had superman railing against the Klu Klux Klan, fighting against tyranny, standing up what we, (perhaps naively) thought of as right. Comics back then weren't afraid of saying something unpopular for fear that their profit margins might dry up.

They were teaching the liberal values of their times, which were correct and moral, not the liberal values of today. By todays standard, most comics are so far right wing and most leftist movements are so far right wing that people from the 40's and 50's wouldn't even recognize them as being leftist at all.
>>
>>85758590
Start by reading Understanding Comics. And then read Making Comics.
>>
For years, we fought against censorship in the comic book medium. And what did we do with that freedom? Image basically took that freedom and used it to promote graphic violence, sex, and idolatry, turning our heroes into foul mouth sluts and thugs.

And yes, I'm aware that comic books have always been violent, that Dick Tracy has on occasion shot someone in a dark alleyway, and that a part of it is gratuttous and always will be.

Be the seriousness, the gravity of the situation, that adult sternness that tells you, "This is just a story, this is not real life," is gone, because comic books are being written by kids for kids.

We're no longer trying to raise kids up, to turn them into grown ups and adults, we're coming down to their level and asking if we can play in their little sandbox.

You should never give a child everything they want.
>>
>>85760752
do you have the name of the author?
>>
>>85760825
Guess he's referring to the Scott McCloud books.

Think Will Eisner released a few how-to books as well.

Also heard people recommend pic related for understanding figure drawing, even if it's not related to making comics.
>>
>>85761018
>>85760752
thank you
>>
But i mean, where would i go to find an artist? there is a bulletin board at my local art supply store, and there is a a community college nearby, but thats all i can really think of...
>>
>>85762875
Try deviantart or tumblr.
>>
>>85759326
>I never read The Authority
>>
>>85762991
fuck that, i don't want deal with some hipster primadonna who can't meet deadlines.
>>
>>85763045
I read the wiki. That sounds nothing like what I want to do.
>>
If you're actually serious and not baiting, let me give you some advice.

Stop preaching.

You haven't given us a reason to care about your story because you haven't told us a damn thing about it, the characters, nothing actually important. Just the same canned rant about how everything sucks and this generation is going to be the end of civilization like every generation before yours did. You arent going to get anywhere if the agenda your pushing is more important than the story.

Tell me about your main character. The villain, the supporting cast. The World you're building. Be a writer first instead of sounding and acting just like the people you hate so much.
>>
>>85760825
You don't know Scott McCloud and you're talking about not liking modern comics? Do you know anything about comics?
>>
>>85759126

That already exists man. It's literally most of the cape characters of the big two.
>>
>>85759326
>Not once has a superhero ever advocated violence towards the government, no matter how corrupt or tyrannical it turned out to be.
In Black Summer a superhero walks into the White House and kills the President and his entire cabinet.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.