[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Transformers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 12

File: transformers-30.jpg (218KB, 590x290px) Image search: [Google]
transformers-30.jpg
218KB, 590x290px
Is this franchise dying? The cartoon is languishing in obscurity, and the movies are the film equivalent of McDonalds. something that's popular, but no one admits to watching. And the comics are comics, good as they are, they have a reading audience under seven figures.

How do we Make Transformers Great Again?
>>
>>85657888
Cruise control with remakes of 1984-1992 toys until 2020, then go for a big launch that has a unique look which takes what it means to be a Transformer series to the extreme with a bunch of multi-leveled homages and huge scale.
>>
Nah, its fine. Toy sales are solid, the comics are great, the movies still make millions, and the current cartoon isn't worth watching anyway.
>>
>>85657959
4 years is a long time to go without media, though. Hard to keep a series relevant without constant flow of media.
>>
>>85658381
It has the films and comics to keep the IP in media. Hasbro doesn't need to do any work since done by other groups.
>>
>>85658414
Comics have a really niche user base and barely appeal to kids. Movies are big, but go years without new ones.
>>
>>85657888
A quality animated series that isn't just a stop-gap between films.
>>
>>85658839

Makes me wonder whats gonna happen when RiD ends. If they ever let it...
>>
>>85658864
I think the pendulum is swinging back to another G1 style cartoon, with some movie influences. Mostly in characters like Barricade being worked in, or MEgatron having whatever altmode he has in TF 5.
>>
>>85657959
Sounds good, but does it still take place in 80s or are we going to upgrade Soundwave to an iPhone?
>>
>>85657888
>Is this franchise dying?
I hope so.
>>
>>85659761
>Another G1 style

can we please just have one thing that isn't endless G1 cocksucking
>>
>>85659899
When non-G1 fans actually support the franchise well, maybe things will change.

Strengthening he g1 aspect of transformers is actually in its best interest. Dividing it into outliers like beast Wars just means you have people who are fans of Beast wars,and nothing else.
>>
>>85658381
Hasbro's had cartoons running nonstop idiot. Also they are far more hands on with IDW hence tie in arcs to promote the last two major toy lines (Combined Wars and Titans Wars)
>>
>>85660014
>When non-G1 fans actually support the franchise well, maybe things will change.

How can people support other things if they don't make anything else?

That's like saying Decepticons don't sell when you get like 4 every five years, and three of them are Seeker repaints.
>>
Hasbro is biding its time until Netflix becomes the main outlet for kidsvid and they don't have to deal with CN anymore.

Allegedly Rescue Bots does quite well on Netflix. (It's now in Season 4.)
>>
Hasbro just said this year the current cartoon's toyline profited in a way that allowed them to avoid the usual 50% drop in a non-movie year into a mere 25% drop, and that we should expect more investment in media and toys as compared to previous years.

That's not obscurity, that's the exact opposite. It's doing just fine.
>>
>>85660066
>Hasbro's had cartoons running nonstop idiot.

On dead networks, and 6 am in the morning. Huge hits, right?
>>
>>85660368

Not only you forget that Netflix is a thing nowadays, the crappy timeslot is a factor only in the United States. In China, Russia, South America and more the TF shows rank rather high ratings wise and get solid timeslots with other boy cartoons.

It's to the point where Hasbro LIKES it when the dollar is weak because it boosts their profits even higher due to the cash influx from international waters.
>>
>>85659761

Hm. So Aligned is probably dead?
>>
>>85660414
>It's to the point where Hasbro LIKES it when the dollar is weak because it boosts their profits even higher due to the cash influx from international waters.

Didn't they lose shittons of money last year from currency exchange?
>>
>>85657888
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER
>>
>>85660485

Not quite. According to John Warden they're not trying to force everything to fit into it anymore and want to give people freedom, but the material of the bible is still being used to inspire new media, in particular, the Aligned bible was the centerpiece of the meetings they had with Paramount about the movie universe, and has elements of it coming up in the comics and cartoons soon.

It basically became what it should've always been, a brand bible instead of a story bible.
>>
>>85660524

Interesting. I just want a real, GOOD sequel to Prime.

Or at least see where Megatron went.
>>
>>85660517

They said profits weren't as great as they could've been because of the currency exchange, but they still saw growth thanks to Star Wars making more than enough money to offset the exchange rate loss.
>>
>>85660557

Prime will not be getting a sequel. They already said the series failed to appeal to the demographic and bled money as a production, they're not going to make a cartoon like that anytime soon. Rescue Bots and Robots in Disguise are outperforming Prime while keeping sane budgets while the product aimed at older than 10 kids will continue to be comic books and the specials they're producing with Machinima.

Your best hope is for a cameo from the character in the RID show, which has had it's fourth season confirmed recently, but that is unlikely since Megatron is the big bad in the movies coming up soon and i doubt Hasbro will be wanting to use "good-guy Megatron" out of brand synergy wariness,
>>
>>85657888
Comics are bretty gud. Movies are still shit but they're improving. Prime is nonexistent anymore. RiD season 3 is coming soon.
Transformers seems great as it is desu
>>
Transfags will fellate hasbro no matter how many stupid decisions they make Threads like this are proof of it. There's an "everything is fine" mentality to things.
>>
>>85660851

But things are pretty good right now.

The toys are particularly great. Titans Return, anyway.
>>
>>85660874
You know the deal, Boco.
>>
>>85660929

Yes sir...
>>
>>85657888
Don't let Bay touch the franchise ever again.

That's literally it. Every time there was a Bayformer movie the rest if the franchise suffered as a result. Animated got canned early due to ROTF, Prime was forced to take from both Animated and the movies rather than be it's own unique thing, not to mention Hasbro got greedy and started taking their adult fans for granted and focused more on earning profit from kids who to be honest don't really like TFs anymore so it'd make more sense both principle and economically speaking to appeal to adult collectors who actually have the money to spend on collector grade toys which stopped being a thing and now everything is CW or other hollow cheap plastic bullshit. So yeah, just take out Bay and everything else will reset itself back to how it was in 2005 before the franchise went to hell.

Beast Wars managed to save the franchise without being a huge blockbuster Summer hit, I think they can easily do the same again with another really good cartoon that's not kiddy shit like RID.
>>
File: beastwarswasamistake.png (664KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
beastwarswasamistake.png
664KB, 853x480px
>>85660954
>>
>Is this franchise dying?
- toys that fly off the shelves
- TWO cartoon series, one that had two new seasons announced, another which will outlast the original series when its finale season is done
- popular comic books
- movies series that makes gorillions of dollars

The franchise is dying if you only look at the video game aspect of it, and even then the latest entry was extremely fun and well-reviewed.
>>
>>85661224

RiD got two new seasons? I thought it was 3 and a movie.
>>
>>85660768
The comics are completely unreadable now and Bay is still alive.
>>
>>85660851

The only thing this thread is proving is that when logic and facts are applied we get weak lash out burn outs like you. Is that REALLY the best you can pull out? /co/ has a better shitposting average than /toy/, you should become a little better before coming back here.
>>
>>85661264
Seasons 3 and 4 are confirmed. I haven't heard anything about the movie for a while.
>>
File: 1471655535294.jpg (47KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
1471655535294.jpg
47KB, 621x502px
>>85661224
>Devastation sequel never
>>
>>85661048
KILL THIS MAN
>>
File: screamer.jpg (51KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
screamer.jpg
51KB, 640x853px
>>85661264

Season 4 is being recorded and storyboarded right now, the season 3 episodes + movie are coming on this fall and Starscream is in it.
>>
>>85661281

Oh please. The comics are fine.

>>85661288

Hm, odd.
>>
>>85661224
Where's your proof toys are flying off the shelf more than they usually do? I see the same shit every store I go to. I've noticed kids are only really into TFs around the time of the movies, and they mainly buy characters from the movies that they're familiar with like Bumblebee and Optimus. Also, the comics are only popular with die hard fans, and even within that group a ton of them read them online for free.

Once again, the movies operate as an utter for the franchise to milk on, and whenever there isn't a movie now, the franchise sits in limbo. So when there aren't anymore movies the franchise is just gonna kinda die, unless something else really especially saves it, like a reboot or new cartoon.
>>
>>85661281
Wut happened? I'm not really caught up I think, but the last thing I remember is Autobot City, the return of Sentinel, and Megatron finding his buttbuddy. What changed?
>>
>>85660091
There's a very simple fucking reason why G1 gets all the fanwank in toy form: because most G1 toys, while fun at the time, outright suck compared to modern toy engineering. And they're expensive af on the secondary market, so you have to cut off your arms and legs to afford toys that have arms and legs in only the loosest sense. So fans whose childhood toys are gone/falling apart want EVERYONE from G1 to get ball-joints and shit, even literally-whos like Skids and Trailbreaker. At least be grateful that, with Titan Masters, they're moving on through the '86 and '87 casts, after which there's only a few characters that anyone (in either Hasbro or the fandom) really cares enough about to warrant a new toy.

Conversely, y'know the reason why only a select few BW characters have gotten new toys recently? Because most of those toys have aged like fine wine, they're still fun, the transformations are still satisfying and they look EXACTLY like the show models (which were scanned from the toys starting with season 2), with the exception of a few season 1 characters who have, with one or two exceptions, all been redone at least once in the last few years. So while I would gladly buy a Generations Airazor or Terrorsaur or any new beastie, I don't feel the overwhelming need for it to be redone either.

And every other series you could homage was already an homage to G1 in itself, so... what's the problem again?
>>
>>85661351
Looks like G1 and Animated Screamer's love child.

I dig it. I thought Starscream died in Prime, though? Wonder how they'll explain this without some alien science mumbo jumbo b.s.
>>
>>85661385
especial*
>>
>>85661468
fucking autocorrect bullshit. I can't spell today, you get what I mean though
>>
>>85661388

Theres only been one issue since then. Sentinel went to Luna 1 to raise an army of zombie Titans, Fort Max and Red Alert are trying to stop him.

Oh, and it turns out GB Blackrock is Sovereign.

>>85661428

The last time we saw him the Predacons were looming menacingly over his cowering form.

They apparently just beat the shit out of him.
>>
>>85661428

The show staff said that his ending in Prime was meant to be open-ended because they didn't want to kill of 100% for reals a character so important to the lore, so they went with that "Predaking either killed him or beat him until he was satisfied" non-confirmed ending.

Now that they decided to bring him back, guess the predacons didn't feel like finishing the job.
>>
Transformers were never great
>>
>>85657959
>unique look which takes what it means to be a Transformer series
Oh, something like Beast Wars? Yeah, that could be cool, I'd love to see another ground-up reimagining of-
>a bunch of multi-leveled homages
Ah.
>>
>>85661428
>I thought Starscream died in Prime, though? Wonder how they'll explain this without some alien science mumbo jumbo b.s.
With the simple fact that he never died to begin with. You're misremembering.
>>
Its not dead but its stagnating. Its too comfortable with churning out mediocre movies, cartoon, and toys. The spark that was there around 2008 is gone outside the comics.The whole franchise really needs a slash-and burn simplification and getting back to a core of things. Let IDW continue for a few more years but generally end gracefully, while launching a new book that's more what traditionalists want. Do the same for a new cartoon. Make it one that people who grew up with G1 would enjoy watching with their kids. Get rid of all the extra toy lines and just keep classics.

The movies; well those are a fucking mess. A reboot would be best, but a soft reboot would be fine. they're willing to completely redesign characters and change style will little explanation, so just go with that. Gradually shift things into a more PAcific Rim style design and make line up of classic characters--even ones who've technically "died". Sideswipe was barely named, and guys like Prowl have yet to get adapted.
>>
File: RG1_81_cvrA.jpg (97KB, 383x588px) Image search: [Google]
RG1_81_cvrA.jpg
97KB, 383x588px
>>85661690
>while launching a new book that's more what traditionalists want.
Except everyone's loving the non-traditional stuff that IDW's doing right now. They tried doing what you suggested and it didn't do well. Hell, it had poor reception while it was announced.
>>
>>85661690

>guys like Prowl have yet to get adapted.

They like Barricade too much.
>>
>>85661319
>>85661048

To be fair, warden never went on the record saying that, it was just something he joked about offhand at a convention. and from his perspective, I don't blame him. He was coming from GI Joe, a franchise who's 90's era was a mess of bad ideas. Their fandom generlly dislikes all that stull. And he's not really a hardcore TF fan. So he comes onto the franchise and sees G1 toys being popular, G1 ideas being repeated over and over again, and guesses that BW was just some weird outlier of the franchise like all the 90's Joe stuff was.
>>
>>85661690

But 2008 was terrible. We had a bad movie that made money, yeah, but otherwise all we had going was TFA, which is objectively badly written but got a fress pass for G1 homages and a comic which was bad written but had G1 homages and the classics molds weren't that great even though some of them were good G1 homage choi-

oh.

Right. Fuck off.
>>
>>85661763
Very few people wanted the old Marvel stuff, though. They want all Hail Megatron. RG1 was a niche in a niche, since you needed to have read 80+ issues of a 30 year old comic to read it. RG1, and IDW at this point, are popular among a niche of fans. And that's fine and all, but there's also people who want the classic stuff. Other companies are smart about this stuff, and will offer both a more niche book, and a basic book, for popular titles.

Basically its not enough to be popular among the crop of fans you have, you have to actively get more.
>>
>>85661840

>TFA, which is objectively badly written but got a fress pass for G1 homages

Finally, someone says it.
>>
Forget Transformers. How can we make Challenge of the Go-bots great again? And while we're at it, let's think up ways to drum up interest for M.A.S.K., Bravestarr, Inhumanoids, and Visionaries.
>>
>>85661840
>TFA, which is objectively badly written but got a fress pass for G1 homages

>muh OBJECTIVELY

That isn't a magic phrase that makes you right, you know.
>>
>>85661978

>M.A.S.K.

Getting a new IDW comic this fall, for what its worth.

>Visionaries.

Live action movie in the works.
>>
>>85661928
>They want all Hail Megatron.
Ahahahaha.
(All Hail Megatron was a failure, incidentally.)
>>
>>85660675
>Prime will not be getting a sequel. They already said the series failed to appeal to the demographic and bled money as a production, they're not going to make a cartoon like that anytime soon.

"Too many girls liked it."
>>
>>85661978
Hasbro owns the Go-Bots fiction IP but not the toy designs, so it'll never happen.

MASK is getting a comic book and is being tied into the Transformers comic book, with Miles Mayhem being an ex-G.I. Joe gone evil and using a damaged Blitzwing as the basis for the vehicles.
>>
>>85661928
>They want all Hail Megatron.
>When July sales data came in, it turned out All Hail Megatron #1, the heavily-promoted new-reader-friendly jump-on point to draw in New Readers... had sold one copy less than Devastation #1 in the North American direct market.
>>
>>85661351
> those shoulders
> upside down wings
> grey instead of white

ugly as fuck.
>>
>Nearly entire thread is "Go back to G1!"

I'm struggling to understand this mentality. Between Classics, Generations, CW, and now TR, you'd think there would be enough updates to the same old cast to satisfy the fan base for at least a while. If toys aren't the drive then what is? cartoon? The comics? Both have already been outdone in the present. I'd like to write it off as nostaliga but the premise and the execution of a lot of G1's has been very unimaginative and bare bones.

I understand the desire to make things not shit but shouldn't the solution to that be new ideas or strategies the franchise should use in the modern world rather than succumbing to today's "reboot it" culture?
>>
>>85662064
>>85662111
>Trusting TFWalky, err wiki
>>
>>85662065

Greg Weisman himself said the "Too many girls" thing is bullshit and that Paul Dini was misinformed. What happened is that Young Justice didn't have enough little boys watching, which meant low toyline sales, which mean cancellation.

No channel will cancel something because too many unexpected viewers liked it, they cancel it because it's not making money.
>>
>>85661763
>everyone
Hoo-boy, you couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>85662191
You need to be 18+ to post on 4chan.

I say this because you're obviously still in early high school and having the concept of "don't use wikipedia" drilled into you by your teachers, when anyone with experience actually using sources knows wikipedia is a great collection of sourced information.
>>
>>85662268
... we're talking about transformers, man. Where did you even get YJ from?
>>
>>85662290
>what is hyperbole
It's still a vast majority.
>>
>>85662188
Because for all the complaints about G1 being overdone, its so diluted and half-assed its barely there. Thats why us G1 fans keep wanting more, because we don't have an actual, concise, reboot yet. The closest thing is Classics, a line that's run for 10 years and hasn't made Dinobots that aren't grimlock, and only has IDW retroactively attached to it for fiction. And that's a compromise that manages to piss off IDW fans and leave a lot of us cold. And MP I guess, but that line moves at a glacier pace.

If it was GI Joe ARAH or Voltron or whatever other 80's franchise where every rebbot goes back to the 80's characters nearly exactly, I'd understand. But its not like that with Transformers. You get part of the cast here and there,s me call backs here and there, but rarely actually G1.
>>
>>85662295
Fucking thank you.

So sick of morons thinking Wikis are bad sources simply because they're open to be edited. It shows they don't even know how the fuck it works. The articles usually don't sit there edited for long until someone else notices and fixes it. Like seriously, what a stupid reason to not use it as a source, lol. As long as you can tell whats edited I don't see what the problem is.
>>
A movie that is NOT shit would do wonders.
>>
>>85662295
Fuck off back to Allspark, Sipher.
>>
>>85662173

> those shoulders
Homage to movie appearance.
> upside down wings
True, although it really doesn't make much a differance.
> grey instead of white
I don't think any Starscream had the toy colors represented.
>>
>>85662295
Wikis are fine. Walky's wiki has an agenda to push. Walky would gladly keep the fandom down to his little group of yes-men from the ATT days and his own board. This is why he actively tries to suffocate the G1 cartoon s being of any influence, and why he's laughed off bigger boards like TFW2005.
>>
>>85662495
THE COMIC SALES INFO IS FUCKING SOURCED
>>
Hey, /co/. So, My GF really likes transformers. I want to get her something for christmas, but I'm not sure what to get her. She has a small collection of comics, and a huge collection of the toys. Even has the Optimus Maximus combiner.

What should I get her for her birthday? Something reasonably priced. Not, like, $300 dollars, but not $20 or something.
>>
>>85662546
See if you can find the Last Stand of the Wreckers hardcover. It's FULL of bonus material and the miniseries is widely regarded as some of the best of IDW's run. I have no idea how much it'd be.
>>
>>85662546
Get her a revo SS (or OP, if she's autobot scum). It's like $60.
>>
>>85662528
Does it tell you that the TPB sales did well and that digitally its one of the best selling TF comic collections? Oh of course not. that doesn't push Walky's agenda.
>>
>>85662348

While this is true part of the problem is that G1 fan won't be satisfied with ANYTHING they get.

If tomorrow Hasbro announces a new cartoon that totally G1 in it's design style, like I'm talking Devastation G1 tier animated with the same quality like the '86 movie they will still hate it. Because since it's been 30+ years since G1 and there is new shit in the lore of the franchise like sparks or new characters like Windblade that would most certainly be used there to shill new toys.

And that would cause immense butthurt. Because it wouldn't be a "true" G1 reboot It wouldn't be G1 enough. Because nothing will ever be G1 enough for them.
>>
>>85662348
So out of curiosity, what would said "definitive reboot" look like?
>>
>>85662787
The exact same thing as the G1 cartoon except better animation, I assume.

G1 gets reboots all the fucking time, it doesn't need a carbon copy one. The original still exists.
>>
>>85662630
She's really big into Starscream. Would probably put him as her number one, with Prowl and Blur in the top 5 somewhere. She's very much a decepticon-girl.

I googled that and what came up was the Reveltech Starscream. That what you are talking about?

>>85662609
It's about $20 if what I found is what you're talking about. It a comic or a light novel?
>>
>>85662782
> Windblade

I'm not sure how Hasbro manages to make everything related to her such a clusterfuck.
>>
>>85662844
Yep, the revoltech. It doesn't transform (obviously) but it's a pretty damn good mold and had nice detail.

Otherwise, coronation starscream is $200.
>>
>>85662844
Wait, only $20? Hot damn.

It's a 5-issue miniseries about a rag-tag group of 'bots with nothing to lose going on a suicide mission against a depraved super soldier that's taken over a prison and turned it into a death camp.

>Extras include the 11-page prose story "Bullets", "Out of Bullets" the Transformers: Mosaic "Dead Men's Boots", 7 pages of profiles, series covers, script extracts, guest artwork, a page on Squadron X, a 2-page segment called "Escape", 2 pages of promotional artwork, a page of "Fisitron's Facts," 2 pages of Pin-Ups, a first draft, the 5-page "Zero Point" and "In Word and Deed".
>>
>>85662822
>G1 gets reboots all the fucking time

>le Armada, Animated, and Prime are g1 reboots meme

By that logic, Brave and the Bold is a reboot of BTAS.
>>
>>85662921
No, because BTAS wasn't the first Batman cartoon.
>>
>>85662871

Because she's been in 3 different types of fiction in 3 years and every version is completely different from each other to the point that they have nothing in common except design.
>>
>>85662311

That anon made reference to the too many girls controversy from Young Justice, so I informed him that it was bullshit because, well, why not inform him? Being well-informed is good.
>>
>>85662495
>This is why he actively tries to suffocate the G1 cartoon s being of any influence
Not the guy you were arguing with, but I'm curious what you mean. Walky always struck me as the sorta guy who'd love comfy fun shit like the G1 cartoon, Lord knows he loves to wax poetic about Sunbow G.I. Joe... but I remember him doing a lot of "defending new stuff to infuriating GEEWUN manbaby" strawman comics back in the 00s... did all these arguments finally break him to the point he just takes the anti-G1-homage argument by default?
>>
>>85660954
Combiner Wars sold like hotcakes, you numbskull.

If anything I see Titan Wars not living up to the heights CW achieved merely because there's no longer a 'gotta catch them all' mentality to completing teams/gestalts. Plus the fact the actual headmaster gimmick is a detriment to the main figure just like it was in the 80s when they originally tried it.
>>
>>85661604
Exactly. Beast Wars was the idea of transforming robots applied to organic designs and full of detailing at home with nature or Aliens. Animated had a lot of exagerated shapes which were neither curved or body. Bayformers tried their hardest to feel like an alien organism made of metal and how that would move based on how real-world machinery does.
Going that way.
>>
>>85663020
Titans Return stuff has quickly sold out whenever we get it in my area, and this time around the flaw of "what if you lose the head" has a fix in the form of the Titan Master toy class, which gives you a replacement head AND a little vehicle that turns into a gun.
>>
I'm not a geewun faggot but at this point in the franchise a hype g1 reboot would actually make a lot of sense.

Like Hasbro is split up between making a toyline for the oldfags, a toyline for the kiddies and a toy line for movies. Instead of splitting the budget for 3 fucking toylines with every toyline having like 10 sub-toyline just make one big toyline like they used to.

Make it a very G1 looking one a-la Classics for the old fags, make a cartoon to promote it to the new fags. Put the cartoon on Netflix like all the non retards so that it doesn't get buttfucked in the anus by a 5am death slot. Hire actual poeple to write it and not retarded monkeys

And boom you've got yourselves a moderate Voltron-tier success of a series that will generate toy sales by the entire fandom.
>>
>>85663011

I've been in the Wiki community for years.

The gist of it is this simply, accross years we've had to deal with a fuckload of delusional G1 fanboys, because thats what happens with fanboys they are by definition fanatics, so Walky slowly went from playfully poking fun at them to genuinely hating them and now takes active pleasure at spiting them.

I don't feel that has gotten in the way of our actual articles though. We still make sure to stay objective, I personally pushed against a moron that wanted to put all his complaints about Transformers Prime into the article as if it mattered to anyone but himself even though I personally think that show is a hot mess, no one's pushing agendas, that anon is clearly bitter about something trivial he will never explain properly.

tl;dr. Walky used to be more mature about it but nowadays is an asshole, we don't let it bother us, just ignore him he is pathetic.
>>
>>85662787
2D, visually more in line with something like Young Justice or DC's animated movies than recent styles we've seen. Bring back the 84/85 cast and general looks updated to modern sensibilities. You can trim the cast, but use them and later characters as extras. Keep them faithful to their original bios.
>>
>>85662968
>That anon made reference to the too many girls controversy from Young Justice.

That projecting, anon. Literally nothing about the post referenced YJ either.
>>
>>85663071
I got the Scourge and Galvatron figures the other week, and Galvy would have been so much infinitely better if he wasn't a Headmaster. Scourge's partner wobbles in the head socket, and both headmaster partners have virtually no paints or details on them which just scream cheap (meanwhile Takara actually paints the figures, of course).

Galvatron especially seems like he wasn't going to be a TR figure in his original design as the entire gimmick is halfassed on him. That flip-up face guard is hideous.
>>
>>85663091
I don't think an episodic nature would work well for a Netflix series. G1's strength was that it was a lot of different kinds of stories told with the same backdrop.
>>
>>85663141

The "" around it implies it was a reference to it though. It's certainly not an actual fact for a Transformers cartoon nor line, so he had no reason to bring it up. But now you're assuming and so am I, why not wait for him to explain himself? it could've been just a badly transmited joke.
>>
>>85663091

They're not splitting budget for 3 different toylines. That is not how budgeting and workload are distributed.Making just one toyline that panders to what you think people want to see just guarantees they'll have less variety of product and less interest and selling points to retailers., who are Hasbro's real clients and not us,
>>
>>85662911
$200 is a bit out of my range. I also found this one Starscream. It says "Transformers Generations" and it's Starscream with a crown? It seems to be in the same set that Armada Megatron (which she has) was in.

>>85662916
That sounds pretty cool. Do you know who the main characters of it are?
>>
>>85663137
That sounds like Animated and Prime already.
>>
>>85663142
Galvatron has issues beyond the headmaster aspects and every toyline is bound to have a dud.
>>
>>85663141
The "too many girl watchers" thing was everywhere here for months here on /co/ when that happened. Nothing is said in a vacuum. The fact that the original anon said it in quotes implied a source, and said source was, most likely, that original YJ interview.
>>
>>85661763
That series was such a hot mess it made me think it was time to finally put Furman out to pasture.

at least it had Ravage be one of the final few TFs alive, unlike in main IDW where they just killed him off. ;_;
>>
>>85663227
>guarantees they'll have less variety of product and less interest and selling points to retailers

So how come it worked for the last 30 yeas but suddenly doesn't work in the last 2 years?

Did you legit forget that Beast Wars/machines/Armada/Energon/Cybertron all had a single toyline with no sub toylines?
>>
>>85662782
>While all this is true, G1 fan, YOU'RE really the problem because
>insert a fantasy scenario where you've already decided I'm implacable
Are you just buttblasted that Combiner Wars machinima series wasn't better received? Because that series is crap because it's poorly produced, not because it has Windblade or new concepts in it (and really, who the fuck gets mad at sparks being in G1? They've been in literally every take on Transformers since 1996 including G1 homage-fests made by fans, for fans).

And if you're not passive-aggressively bitching about that show, I don't know what to tell you. On the one hand, fuck you I'd WANT a G1 follow-up to add new characters and elements to the "lore" because that's what the G1 cartoon actually fucking did. It had the "anything goes" attitude of 80s animation, so they added new characters and new planets and new ideas CONSTANTLY. On the other hand, yes, there is ONE other important thing I think they'd actually need to have if they wanted this show to actually feel any more GEEWUN than all the other "Autobots vs. Decepticons on Earth" shows in the last decade and a half- the Sunbow cartoon dumped the idea of "robots in disguise" almost immediately and ran with the idea of Autobots as celebrity-superheroes workingly openly with humans. No other series but Animated has done that, and I'd love to see it again especially since both RiD and Rescue Bots have no real excuse for NOT doing it now. And for the record, I love those shows too. I loved Animated too, I didn't bitch about it being "NOT MUH GEEWUN". I swear, the bitching about GEEWUNNERS is way more prevalent and narrowminded than actual GEEWUNners.
>>
>>85663238

Sshhh. Don't tell him that, with modern sensibilities he meant modern sensibilities that pander to his old-nerd tastes instead of actual kids.
>>
>>85663238
Bulkhead was in G1? Optimus was young and inexperienced in G1? Arcee was a blue motorcycle in G1?
>>
>>85663275

Did you forget to take your medicine Anon?
>>
>>85663237
Good: Ironfist, Pyro, Rotorstorm, Topspin, Twin Twist, Kup, Perceptor, Verity Carlo
Bad: Overlord, Snare, Stalker

If you're looking for character commonality with stuff she has, a good portion of the LSotW cast was taken from obscure parts of the franchise.
>>
>>85663296
Bulkhead is just a green Ironhide and Arcee was there to appeal to the "muh diversity" crowd.
>>
>>85663334
Ahhh, so, nobody I would know. Still. Hopefully she would like it.

All I know is she hates Arcee and Rattrap.
>>
>>85663296
>Bulkhead was in G1?
You never saw the green guy that wasn't Springer or Hound in the background? Sorry your vision sucks.
>Optimus was young and inexperienced in G1?
War Dawn, yeah.
>Arcee was a blue motorcycle in G1?
In the Halloween episode. It was of the all time greats. Up there with Carnage in A-minor.
>>
>>85663362
>hating Rattrap

the cur
>>
>>85663367
That was Hoist you fuck.
>>
>>85663362
Neither are in Last Stand.
>>
>>85663274

I didn't say it didn't work, only that the new way is working better. They're making more money than ever, the worst year they had recently was still miles and miles ahead of the revenue they had back in those days, It is simple madness to suggest to a company "go back to doing it the old way that generated less cash than you have flowing right now." Those people pay for actual market researchs and analysis, they don't fly blind based on bias, Hasbro is hardly shy about cutting off dead weight.

Besides already in Energon days we had toylines aimed at collectors with Alternators while the other line guns for kids with the cartoons, what we have now is simply an expansion of that.
>>
>>85663362
Your GF has shit tastes.
>>
>>85663384
I think it was the cartoon Beast Wars that did it to her, cause she hates Waspinator too.
>>
>>85662188
>I'd like to write it off as nostaliga but the premise and the execution of a lot of G1's has been very unimaginative and bare bones.
Go watch G1 season 2. Then go watch the Movie. Then watch season 3. Then understand that every G1 "homage" series has been a throwback to the first two years, with the occasional nod at the Movie, but nobody ever does anything with the characters, situations or settings introduced in season 3. The G1 cartoon got cancelled just when it was getting good and weird.
>>
>>85663384
How did you cut off the rest of the n and the t?
>>
>>85663237
That Starscream is pretty cool, has a sleek jet mode and would be a good gift unless she has Gen Jetfire/Skyfire, which was the first use of the mold.

If she only has TFs that transform, I wouldn't get her a Revoltech.
>>
File: Monstrosity_issue_1_bulkhead.jpg (46KB, 448x234px) Image search: [Google]
Monstrosity_issue_1_bulkhead.jpg
46KB, 448x234px
>>85663296
>Bulkhead was in G1?
He is now!
>>
>>85663428
She only has tranforming ones so far, but she has a good chunk that aren't opened too.
>>
>>85663414
Because they had all had shit altmodes. Went from amazing looking vehicles and household objects to """future car""" and """spaceship"""
>>
>>85660164
What happened to the Hub?
>>
>>85663459
No one watched it so Hasbro sold some of their share back to Discovery. Existing shows are still on it but they are actively trying new methods.
>>
>>85663275
>swear, the bitching about GEEWUNNERS is way more prevalent and narrowminded than actual GEEWUNners.

These people are outlier fans. They have a chip on their shoulder because G1 always takes priority,and they know it. They resent their nostlagic favorites not getting attention, even though they'll quickly acknowledge their favorites being in part based on G1. They're just contrarians.

Transformers is, and will chiefly be, G1. Other fandoms are just renting space.

this is why I've taken a liking to TFW2005; G1 doesn't get this hate boner you get from places like this. It helps that people there are comfortable adults who can afford to support what they like. Let those 3P G1 toys flow.
>>
>>85663459
Hub is kill. Reverted to it's original Discovery Family status. Still shows horses and RescueBots.
>>
>>85663412
It's physically and mentally impossible to hate Waspinator unless you are a Dire Wraith.

I suggest running.
>>
>>85663459
It was a premium channel. It was doomed from the start.
>>
>>85663493
>this is why I've taken a liking to TFW2005

You mean outside of being a /pol/ak to boot?
>>
>>85663493

And here we have a G1ner who got completely fucking destroyed in verbal argument and retreated to a hugbox licking his wounds. Please don't feed him. Please don't tell him Michael Bay is the reason the brand is strong right now and he doesn't give a fuck about G1. Don't remind him of how stagnant and dead 80s pandering has made HeMan and GI Joe.
>>
>>85662348
>If it was GI Joe ARAH or Voltron or whatever other 80's franchise where every rebbot goes back to the 80's characters nearly exactly, I'd understand. But its not like that with Transformers. You get part of the cast here and there,s me call backs here and there, but rarely actually G1.
Fucking THIS. People act like Transformers is strangled by G1, but really, you never see characters like Ironhide, Wheeljack or Jazz who were big damn deals in the original series getting recurring important roles. At best they appear for a few episodes.

But for the most part, it's just Optimus, Megatron and Starscream - and nowadays Bumblebee, but you need a cool kid appeal character, indistinguishable from Cheetor and Hot Shot - hell, Animated BB *was* actually Hot Shot initially; the original Autobot cast for Animated was more of an homage to Armada than anything! The only reason they went with Bumblebee and Ratchet was because of the movie, and really, the movie Bumblebee has nothing in common with other BBs aside from, again, filling the yellow kid appeal role. He could be called Hot Shot and it would make no difference.
>>
File: ANIMATION.jpg (87KB, 760x574px) Image search: [Google]
ANIMATION.jpg
87KB, 760x574px
>>85663501
I think the animation just scarred her memories of all Beast Wars originals.
>>
>>85663566
Roadblock
>>
Everyone wants to compare G1 against new series, then when people suggest just rebooting G1, they turn around and just say new series are already G1 reboots. So what is it?

Transformers is one of the few franchises where the fandom seems partly hostile to the original series.
>>
>>85663568
TFA season 4 was going to have Jazz and Ironhide join the main cast.
>>
>>85663610
Because Transformers is a lazy rehash of itself and was better when you were a kid.
>>
>>85663610

It's because it's one of the few franchises where the original material is badly made and succesful only through pure marketing.

There is nothing to love about G1 if you're not a mouthbreather.
>>
>>85663610
>Transformers is one of the few franchises where the fandom seems partly hostile to the original series.

Because the G1 fans are fucking poisonus asshole for years that kept whining, crying, moaning, bitching and screaming at EVERYONE who came into the franchise by any other means other than the first two season of the cartoon.

So the fanbase created a kneejerk hate towards G1 as responce to those fans.
>>
>>85663652
I dunno, a lot of old video games were glitchy as fuck.
>>
File: RedDawn+PowersBooth_.png (158KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
RedDawn+PowersBooth_.png
158KB, 400x293px
>>85663566
It's true. I have the force of a billion screaming Chinamen behind me. HeMan and GI Joe don't have the power of 3P innovation behind them.
>>
>>85663610
Because you will always end up with "NOT MUH GEEWUN" if anybody suggests a reboot.

G1's been rebooted so many times now it's not even an argument. The Generations toyline has been a G1 reboot for fucking years now and it's still doing it. Same with the Dreamwave and IDW comics for better or worse.
>>
>>85663566
Part of the reason why G.I.Joe fails now is because you can't really have a "bunch of goofy colorful caricature army guys versus a bunch of goofy colorful caricature terrorists" now because we have real life terrorists that aren't goofy or fun at all. People these days also have a distrust of government and privately funded armies, so that's another strike against it.

He-man's reboot was completely fucked over hard by Mattel's own incompetence coupled with mainstream culture changing to where muscular half naked men aren't seen as exactly something wholesome to get your kid.
>>
File: clearscream.jpg (46KB, 400x559px) Image search: [Google]
clearscream.jpg
46KB, 400x559px
>>85663445
>dating an MIB collector
ew, man

Jokes aside, you know what's a cool Starscream? Fucking Alternity. I forgot all about him until just now, he's on my favorites shelf. Check this shit out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SALzThHKaZc

Henkei ghost Starscream is good if she doesn't mind the Classics seeker mold. I have a knockoff of him and I like it a ton. If you want the real thing it shouldn't cost much more than the Revo.
>>
>>85663871
Ghost Starscream also got a Unite Warriors (JP's version of Combiner Wars) release. Cool looking as hell for what's just a plastic change/repaint.

Careful actually playing with them though as clear plastic is much more prone to breakage, I don't even want to know how brittle a knockoff one could possibly be.
>>
>>85663718
Dreamwave was decently received by G1 cartoon fans. The negativity of it came right out of the allspark, full of contrarians. if you went to places like tFW2005, it was well received.
>>
>>85663831
>where muscular half naked men aren't seen as exactly something wholesome to get your kid.

And so the new He-Man has pants. What a terrible time to live in.
>>
>>85664070
Other than Pat Lee's obnoxious inability to draw anything other than abstract Stay Puft Marshmallow Man homages I didn't have much of a problem with their TF work either. Hell, look at Optimus in the op pic, his proportions are downright fucked.
>>
>>85664070
>if you went to places like tFW2005, it was well received.
>places like tFW2005
>tFW3005

I wouldn't take them as a measuring stick for good taste in fiction Anon.
>>
>>85663831
I loved how Mattel completely killed He-Man's chances in the toy aisle back when the new cartoon was running. If you wanted anything other than He-man or Skeletor you were fucked.

>entire lanes of shelves filled with variants of those two
>nobody else ever

Even the original toyline spaced out the variant He-Man/Skeletor toys instead of unloading dozens of them at once and drowning out everything else.

Never did find Teela..
>>
File: 800px-Patleehowtodrawoptimus.jpg (63KB, 800x243px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Patleehowtodrawoptimus.jpg
63KB, 800x243px
>>85664151
Pat Lee might've sucked, but I can't help but think a lot of the mudslinging at him was in part due to walky's jealously. Its known Walky wanted to draw TF comics for the longest time, and Pat Lee making the accepted "TF style" more complex and detailed basically made it so he'd never be able to draw them. He gets jealous about other people's talents so he takes it out passive aggressively.

he's done the same fucking thing to alex Milne, except Milne is a decent guy and now a long term fan favorite.
>>
>>85664208
Why? Because its not the Allspark hugbox? Because they generally prefer the G1 cartoon to the comic(oh no!)?
>>
>>85664380

Not everything about this fracnhise is about Walky Anon. He's not some grandmastermind that's stopping you getting your G1 transformers. Nobody gives a shit about Walky or what he's saying.

Except you apparently.
>>
>>85664380
>Draw an Optimus
>Then draw more thingies
>ALL THE THINGIES
>>
>>85664380
Could have stopped at 2, but no, had to give him scraplets.
>>
File: TFCon-16-Panel-282.jpg (88KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
TFCon-16-Panel-282.jpg
88KB, 1279x720px
>>85661224

Also

>tons of smaller companies making unofficial figures in Transformers likeness

Transformers is fucking huge in China.
>>
>>85664429
>>85664470
>detail is baaaad

you faggots also complain about "greebles, huh?
>>
>>85661318
It hurts. It hurts so bad to know this is true.
>>
>>85664503
sounds itchy
>>
>>85664503
>ADD DETAILS
>MORE DETAIL
>MORE TINY SHIT
>YES MORE DETAIL

You're one of those Warhammer 40K faggots that think overdetailed blobs = good aren't you?
>>
>>85664503
they serve no purpose compared to simply having a flat sheet of metal
>>
>>85661224
>toys that fly off the shelf

half the time the toys don't even make it onto the shelves because lol Hasbro distribution

I've never even seen any RiD stuff past Wave 1, and
>>
>>85664737
Scalpers had a field day with Combiner Wars.

Couldn't find that Shockwave, Air Raid, or Sky Lynx when they first came out? Enjoy paying more than double their prices if you were really that obnoxiously impatient for restocks.
>>
>>85664835
Yeah, never saw Sky Lynx at all. Most local stores where I am don't even carry Generations figures anymore, except for 20 some odd Silverbolts that have been rotting since CW started.
>>
>>85664835
>>85664896
There's a Sky Lynx at my target. It was there until just a few weeks ago when they moved the Transformers aisle over.
>>
>>85664896
Stores here couldn't keep CWs in stock, I ended up having to order a good chunk of them online.
Never ever saw Onslaught, Sky Lynx, white Prime (what a waste of a toy), and Scattershot on shelves..
>>
>>85664299
>I loved how Mattel completely killed He-Man's chances in the toy aisle back when the new cartoon was running. If you wanted anything other than He-man or Skeletor you were fucked.
And then they did the exact same thing with the latest Max Steel toyline. All Max, all the time.

And to make it worse, EVERY SINGLE FIGURE was some stupid gimmick-type. I would have totally bought a standard poseable figure of his default form but none existed.
>>
>>85665360
It's baffling as while the original toyline did it with a bunch of goofy variations (Skeletor has a water squirting dragon, oh wait, now Skeletor has TERROR CLAWS), it always spaced the variations of He-man/Skeletor out so you wouldn't have a glut of the same character on shelves.
>>
>>85665476
Mattel has shown time and again that they have no fucking idea how to run boy-oriented toylines that aren't Hot Wheels.
>>
>>85665360
>And then they did the exact same thing with the latest Max Steel toyline. All Max, all the time.

They fucked the bad guys. SO. BAD.

I'd have murdered someone for a Naught figure or a Dredd one in his "normal" mode but nope, have Toxon or nothing. And now we aren't getting them, because they disappeared from the new season.
>>
>>85663099
This thread has generally been a meanspirited clusterfucker, I just wanted to say I appreciate you actually answering a question I had in an informative and semi-objective manner.
>>
>>85664896
Silverbolt is a pretty nice figure, much better than the Optimus and Motormaster ones at any rate. Sturdiest torso as a combiner as well.
>>
>>85667119
Aye. Damn shame too. Menasor was always my favorite vehicle combiner.
>>
>>85667919
I still remember my disappointment last year when I finally had all the pieces (Offroad instead of Wildrider/Brake-Neck), put him together, and realized what a piece of shit Menasor was.

A torso that didn't truly HAVE a torso. All chest and then legs..
>>
>>85668162
If it took you until then to figure that out, Menasor isn't the only one with a problem.

Besides, there are fan modes that make him look good
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.