[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sanic Comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: s0.jpg (104KB, 476x750px) Image search: [Google]
s0.jpg
104KB, 476x750px
So I want to get into the Sonic comics, however, I really don't know where to start. The cartoons are fun, but I'm really more interested in modern Sonic. At the same time, I don't want to jump in and not know who's who since I know there are a lot more characters. What's a good starting point?
>>
Read Sonic the Comic. Avoid Archie's.
>>
>>85653154
I'm guessing that's Fleetway or something? And I'm also guessing Archie is the version with Sally and the Freedom Fighters.
>>
>>85653224

Fleetway has Freedom Fighters too. They're just better Freedom Fighters.
>>
>>85653111

There was a reboot in issue 252 of Archie Sonic.

A few pre-reboot characters are still around though.
>>
>>85653289
I see. Well, thank you. What exactly is so bad about the Archie comics?
>>
>>85653398
Ken Penders. "Deranged egomaniacal talentless hack" is somehow inadequate to describe how horrible his reign over the comic was.
>>
>>85653111
There is a Sonic Comic Encyclopedia you can buy on Ebay. It's a pretty interesting read even if you are familiar with the Archie-verse. But I think it is mostly for pre-reboot issue #252
>>
>>85653154
>>85653289
Archie-verse is not that bad. Sure Penders really made things sour, but Ian Flynn has been doing a good job since he. left
>>
>>85653111
>Reply to Thread No.85653111
>[Spoiler?]
You could also watch the two seasons of Sonic Satam as well and then get into the Archie-verse around issue #21 or so
>>
Never worry about continuity in comics. It never fucking matters.

Every issue of a serial story like this is meant to be able to be read in a self-contained fashion. You can just start and stop where you like.

Personally, I'd recommend you read the first 40 issues of the comic and then skip to 171 if you're really worried about wasting your time on bad comics. By 171 the comic is basically back to the exact same status quo it ends on in #40, but with modern characters.
>>
>>85654654
Why the absolute FUCK would you do this?

No, seriously, fucking why? SatAM is an awful cartoon and everything worthwhile you'd glean from it is in the comics anyway. You'd be skipping several great stories and then jumping head first into the worse half of the good part of the 90's run.
>>
>>85654737
I always saw Sonic Satam and the Archie-verse as complementing each other. And what great stories would you miss by starting at issue #21?
>>
>>85654694
>Never worry about continuity in comics. It never fucking matters.
I'm honestly used to reading manga, so western comics are, ironically, foreign to me.
>>
File: THE ALL KNOWING GUIDE.png (1MB, 1320x1001px) Image search: [Google]
THE ALL KNOWING GUIDE.png
1MB, 1320x1001px
>>85653111
BEHOLD!

Either start with the reboot (the sane choice) or go from the beginning (the wild ride choice)
>>
>This fucking thread so far.
the recommended Sonic comic is Archie, starting at #160, when Ian Flynn came on as writer. That's the one that tends to get discussed around these parts, and is still ongoing. Fleetway is alright. Old Archie should be avoided but it's going to be unavoidable getting into it. SonicScansF and Tails Kicks Ass both have scans of all these comics.
>>
>>85654770
A lot of DeCesare's early work? Stuff like the Olympics issue and the Termintenator? Uncle Chuck's Treasure? Sorceress in Distress? The ghost issue directly before the one you're recommending? The magical frog?

There's plenty of really fun stories before that which are cute and give you a good sense for the cast, but you're telling him to watch a cartoon that does a worse job at establishing these characters and then jump into a mediocre issue with good art just because the next issue has a stupid expo-dump that becomes relevant like fifty issues later?

Like, really, fucking why bother? There's fewer good stories in 21-40 (and ESPECIALLY beyond that) than there are from 1-20, so why skip twenty issues (and some side comics) to begin with?
>>
File: croc aint got shit on this.png (209KB, 2000x1674px) Image search: [Google]
croc aint got shit on this.png
209KB, 2000x1674px
>>85654822
>Mindlessly recounting the 160 meme without realizing 160-170 is continuity cleanup that would hardly make sense to a new reader and discounting the gag strips because "muh plot".

Maybe you should actually try re-reading this stuff and making your own opinions.
>>
File: bathog.jpg (204KB, 700x1059px) Image search: [Google]
bathog.jpg
204KB, 700x1059px
>>85654858
You make me want to read the old stuff again. I haven't read those stories in quite a long time. I still like 21-40 run and thought it was epic as a kid back then. Maybe I will have more of a an appreciation of the older, sillier stories now that I am an adult
>>
>>85653111
Archie start at 150 - the Scourge issue - should also work rather nicely.
>>
>>85654981
That's pretty much how it goes, yeah. A lot of the ones from 21-40 that you appreciated as a kid were probably not all that great.

I mean, some of my favorites are in that period, but there were also a lot of real stinkers and it's about when Ken starts becoming a major presence in the book.
>>
>>85653154
I'm guessing you haven't read it in a while, as Fleetway's Sonic was just as weird and embarrassing as Archie half the time. The modern run starting at 252 is closer to "Sonic the Hedgehog" as a casual reader would know him than either.
>>
>>85655027
I really miss the covers by Spaz. Anyone know if he does any of the variant covers post issue #252?
>>
>>85653154
Fuck no. Archie is pretty god tier when it's at its best.
>>
>>85655074
He did some for the second crossover.
>>
>>85655074
He does some every now and again, but he's always been a rare presence.
>>
File: Mecha_Madness.jpg (40KB, 255x386px) Image search: [Google]
Mecha_Madness.jpg
40KB, 255x386px
This is my favorite "epic" moment of oldschool Sonic. What are some of /co/s faves?
>>
>>85654886
Well what would your suggestion to start on Ian Flynn pre-reboot be? I suppose I would have him start at #165 instead, since Flynn is a little less tangled up in the previous writers' works.
>>
>>85655212
Order from Chaos is 169-170, and it's the biggest continuity cleanup story the comic has (with Darkest Storm before it taking 2nd place). Most people suggest 171 for that reason.
>>
>>85655153
It's interesting that each of the core writers got their own "arc", but nobody really identifies them as such.

Gallagher's three-parter was Mecha Madness (#39 - Self-Titled - #40), but most people ignore the finale in #40 despite it being his best issue.

DeCesare got a three-parter with Uncle Chuck, but it's broken up with multi-issue gaps so nobody even notices that it's an arc, and it's actually pretty strong.

Penders...well, he just kinda made everything part of one big confusing arc because that's how he rolls.

>>85655212
Look on up here
>>85654694
Everything prior to that point is tying up old plotlines, and 171 is a really solid standalone issue with a character modern fans know pretty well. Even better, starting at 170 basically puts you back in the exact same place as #41 leaves you: the king is back but comatose, Sonic and Sally have had a bit of a falling out and are healing their relationship, Eggman's about to completely upset the FF's status quo with his plans, etc. It's crazy how well the gap is bridged.

It's almost like everything in the middle is completely worthless garbage. : ^ )
>>
File: SONIC25.jpg (138KB, 495x750px) Image search: [Google]
SONIC25.jpg
138KB, 495x750px
>>85655153
This cover is as much a part of my childhood as the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Mighty Max, and impending Y2K doom.

One of my favorite adaptations they did too although it would have been really cool if they could have somehow incorporated Little Planet and Time Travel. But it's a minor beef.
>>
>>85655024
>Starting him off on DESTINY
Are you retarded
>>
>>85655520

He probably forgot that 150 is not 160.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.