[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Definitive Iron Man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Iron_man.jpg (64KB, 419x640px) Image search: [Google]
Iron_man.jpg
64KB, 419x640px
So is there a list out there of the "definitive" Iron Man books I should read, across the entire existence of his character?

Would like to pick up some of the best old-school Iron Man collections, and some modern Iron Man, but like so many characters I don't necessarily want to sort through decades of shitty/bad/etc stories just to find the best ones.

So, what are the best IM collections I should be looking into?
>>
File: coironmanrecs.jpg (326KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
coironmanrecs.jpg
326KB, 1280x720px
>>85614896
These are the ones that I like the ones with * are considered must reads by a lot of people.

"Demon in a Bottle" Iron Man #120-128 *
"Doomquest" Iron Man #149-150
"Deliverance" Iron Man #182
"Iron Monger" Iron Man #190-200
"Armor Wars" Iron Man #225-232 *
"Armor Wars II" Iron Man #258-266
"Crash and Burn" Iron Man #301-306
"The Mask in the Iron Man" Iron Man (Volume 3) #26-30
"Best Defense" Iron Man (Volume 3) #73-78
"Extremis" Iron Man Volume 4 #1-6 *
"Haunted" Iron Man, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #21-28 (this is post Civil War)

Also pic related, you might wanna check that out too.
>>
>>85616336
Thanks. I'll definitely have to check this stuff out.

Anyone else?
>>
>>85616581
I loved the mark 4 era (retroactively names Silver Centurion), #200-231
Another solid stretch is War Machine up to Crash and Burn, #281-300.
#300 is one of the most bad ass Iron Man comics of all time.

Another good one for some tentpole history is #169-170.
>>
>>85619295
Iron Man does have a pretty average run when you think about it. I think if you read it from the beginning to the latest series you will be fine.

Just skip the Crossing and Teen Tony era. 90s kinda sucked for him.
>>
>>85614896
From what I have read I would recommend:
Warren Ellis' extremis (2005)
Adam Warren's Hypervelocity (2007)
Matt Fraction's Invicible Iron man (2008)
Tom Taylor's Superior spider-man (2015)
>>
>>85621959
>Matt Fraction's Invicible Iron man (2008)
If you stomach the Larroca art outside of the suits.

>Tom Taylor's Superior Iron Man (2015)
Ftfy
>>
>hurr venom ur evil cuz u look like it

Heroes are such shit
>>
File: nothanks.jpg (61KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
nothanks.jpg
61KB, 577x1024px
>>85621959

>Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man
>>
>>85622636
Way to totally fucking misinterpret that.
>>
>>85614896
>>85616336
>>85621959
Inevitable is the best modern Iron Man comic that doesn't rely on Superior-tier gimmicks and still has THE Stark personality
>>
>>85623570
Well it came out during Venom's anti hero era didn't it? that would mean Tony would have said the same line to Wolverine or something
>>
I've been reading some of the old Iron Man stories, and it's weird how they used to get so much plot into a single issue. Nowadays you get 20 pages of spreads and people posing, and 3 pages of plot.
>>
>>85626421
Comic books used to be about telling, or attempting to tell, good stories

That isn't what they're about anymore
>>
>>85627324

Now they're about furthering agendas, and selling you the same issue 5 times through variant covers.
>>
The Epic Collections Marvel puts out have some of the best stuff.
>>
>>85627324
Don't kid yourself. Comics have always been about making money.
>>
>>85627565
No shit, but the audience used to be a niche group of males who cared about comic book stories and the characters in them, so in order to sell books to these people you had to at least try to appeal to them

These days it's about making internet news and pandering to the complete opposite crowd (people who don't read comics) because capeshit has become flavor of the week hip thanks to movies

You will make money by satisfying some 19 year old hipster girl who reads an article about your newest gender swapped character or whatever the fuck, so why the fuck should they bother caring about the comics when the comics aren't the money maker, the BRAND is
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.