[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are they so acclaimed nowadays when in the 90s they were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: image comics.png (16KB, 715x715px) Image search: [Google]
image comics.png
16KB, 715x715px
Why are they so acclaimed nowadays when in the 90s they were the Industry's punchline?
>>
>>85612296
The Walking Dead
>>
They went from a dumping ground for rejected Big 2 pitches to a dumping ground for glorified TV pilots. That's not to say there isn't good stuff at Image, but a lot of the acclaimed series over there right now are basically low key television pilots or film pitches.
>>
>>85612296
Creators finally started telling good stories.
Plus hipsters have to read something other than capes, but finding legitimately good obscure comics is too hard.
>>
The Walking Dead, Saga, Bone and The Maxx. And they ain't completely out of the woods yet, they still publish Youngblood.
>>
>>85612332
>>85612395
>>85612502
That, and other companies wilted into shitpiles around them.
>>
>>85612502
Bone isn't an Image original though.
>>
>>85612395
>Plus hipsters have to read something other than capes, but finding legitimately good obscure comics is too hard.
This. That's why I started reading them. It's either capes, Image, or spending more time hunting for comics than actually reading them.
>>
File: Saga.png (262KB, 650x341px) Image search: [Google]
Saga.png
262KB, 650x341px
>>
>>85612637
Here's the true secret dawg. Hopefully you already know it, but as a hipster you'll claim you did anyway.
Franco-belgian comics
>>
File: Dark Horse.png (11KB, 200x296px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Horse.png
11KB, 200x296px
>>85612637
Well theres always Dark Horse.
>>
>>85612296
>Stuff like Saga and Walking dead.
>More well known creators working for them.
>They're now like the big two of no big two. Don't like capes, Image is the next famous destination.

>>85612395
A lot of Image isn't really good, but people get swayed over by the brand name
>>
Because they are acclaimed for their current creator-encouraging and genre-encompassing form and not the 90s ex-DC shitfest. What a retarded question, OP
>>
>>85612637
Just follow your favourite creator wherever he/she goes,
>>
>>85612668
Overrated hipster trash.
>>
>>85612296

They're 00's Vertigo. They're literally modeling themselves on it. All they're doing is pandering to cultural trends, like vertigo effectively pandered to edgy 90s nihilism.
>>
>>85612757
>A lot of Image isn't really good, but people get swayed over by the brand name
A lot of Image is released on a crappy schedule, because the creators know there's nobody to hold them to it.
>>
>>85612836
Pretty decent hipster trash.
>>
>>85612740
They're great if you like the Mignolaverse. Nothing else ever lasts.
>>
>>85612395
Image does have a lot of legitimately good stuff though.
>>
>punchline

Didn't they have spawn, which was big enough to get his own movie and own HBO show?
>>
>>85613733
Overrated doesn't instantly mean bad. Something can be decent and overrated at the same time. In fact, that's the usual way of things.
>>
>>85612637
Give Action Labs a look.

Lots of legit good stuff recently, especially from their Danger Zone collection.
>>
>>85612296
Vertigo died and Image took the market of non cape funny books
>>
>>85612395
This is a pretty stupid comment, nobody reads just Image and only Image. Unless by legitimately good obscure comics you mean Fantagraphics or eurocomics most people who read Image also look into Vertigo and Boom and whatnot, they are no harder to find than Image.
>>
>>85612740
Dark Horse essentially exists to publish Mignola books and I'm okay with that
>>
>>85612296
Because the industry is now the punchline. At least Image is a good joke.
>>
>>85612707
>Franco-belgian comics
This x1000. When I think back on all the time I wasted with capeshit trash I want to cry.
>>
>>85612296

Image was always a strong third-place contender behind Marvel and DC. Especially in the 90's.

If anything, their place has probably weakened a little since then.
>>
>>85612296
They weren't really the industry's punchline in the 90s. They were much more of a punchline in the early 00s when their Spawn and Top Cow type stuff finally became seen as passe. In the 90s they were hated by Gary Groth types who didn't understand that any steps towards the institutionalization of creator rights was a good thing, regardless of what form it took, and Marvel and DC readers who wanted to get their company war on.
>>
File: emptyzone5_previewpage8.jpg (239KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
emptyzone5_previewpage8.jpg
239KB, 585x900px
I honestly don't understand why image get's so much hate on this board when the Big Two are constantly just putting out shit for the most part.

Image has some pretty high quality books, if not JUST for the art. It's got diverse LOOKING books.

I'm not into too much big two now a days unless it has an artist that pulls me in. DC is pretty much similar across all the titles. Marvel's pulling me with Moon Knight, Dr. Strange, and that's about it.
>>
>>85614573
What are some good BDs with solid stories? I really like Tintin and Blake and Mortimer. I read some Druillet and Moebius and I mean the art was astonishing but I kind of need both.
>>
>>85614598
2008 is when Image tried again to gain traction but they had to compete closely with IDW until spring 2012.
>>
Didn't some bad shit happen to writers at Vertigo and now Image is the preferred imprint?
>>
>>85616799
It's not like a bad incident or anything. It's just that you don't own anything that you do.
>>
>>85616799
>imprint
You what mate.

Anyway, the bad shit at Vertigo is that creators don't get to keep adaptation rights. Instead, Warner Bros keeps a tight hold on adaptation rights for Vertigo comics. So creators go to Image instead if they think that their comics have a chance at film/tv adaptations.
>>
>>85616866
This and Karen Berger leaving begins the era nuVertigo (marked by most ongoings made during that era not lasting at least over a year and more minis made).
>>
>>85616866
I feel like Vertigo must have changed this though considering there are actually people doing comics for them again.
>>
>>85612296

It was hard to take them seriously when Silvestri / Top Cow doing Cyberforce as a lame x men rip off. And Liefeld was at maximum Liefeld, doing Youngblood, Bloodwulf, Bloodstrike, Bloodpool, and Blood blood bloody pouch gun man.
>>
>>85612296
They're still the same garbage quality. Every other publisher just happened to sink even lower than them.
>>
>>85612296
they grew up. Marvel didn't
>>
>>85616951

Yeah, it seems like they're giving more of a shit. Too bad Jamie S. Rich being the new guy in charge means a lot more twee is going to come in.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.