[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do superheroes not exist? How in the millions of years of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

How do superheroes not exist? How in the millions of years of evolution (I guess only about 200,000 if we're talking about human beings) has there not been one man who has been born with mutations that make him more than human? With all these medicines we're testing and all these synthetic street drugs how has someone not become something else? How has someone not been involved in an experiment that gave them abilities?
Also, the drug thing is a possibility , the kid in the news who took bath salts and killed the cop apparently had superhuman strength. It took 3 cops, a stun gun, and a dog, to get him off of the guy he was beating. He was normally a pretty scrawny kid too.
Also, side discussion : How possible is batman? I think the Cape might be a bit of a stretch, but it could be possible, being able to take down 2 guys with guns could be feasible, but I think it's impossible to take down 10 armed men with nothing but your gadgets and fists.
>>
I don't think you understand how evolution works
>>
>>85586333
The Government. Take your pick on which government, they're all probably in on it. Also nice trips.
>>
Because reality is multilayered and complex and simplistic power fantasies only have place in it as inellegant fiction.
>>
>>85586412
This.
And/or the NWO.
>>
>>85586384
>>85586412
>>85586416
OP here, Also think: infinite universe, infinite possibilities. What if a gang of alien nomads with power granting abilities came to earth and gave a guy super cool powers. Sounds impossible, but in an infinite universe, is it really IMPOSSIBLE? HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely yes, but impossible??
>>
>>85586540
in this universe the comics are the superheroes
>>
>>85586540
How many times do I have to tell you that we live in the worst timeline?
>>
File: the future.png (1MB, 1379x591px) Image search: [Google]
the future.png
1MB, 1379x591px
>>85586720
This guy gets it. You've got pic related and the only guy who seems to even want to stop it is fucking Biff in his Back to the Future 2 mode.
>>
File: bigeyecat.jpg (38KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
bigeyecat.jpg
38KB, 268x265px
>>85586333

Because evolution works in very small steps to improve the reproduction of a species, not how strong or fast it is. Stronger, faster, etc, all require the use of more energy, which means that they would need to burn more calories. When for the vast majority of the existence of life almost everything (including our ancestors) was on the brink of starvation most of the time, energy efficiency was the way to go. Being just barely strong enough and just barely fast enough to get what food was around was the best choice. The ones born with too much muscle so that they were stronger than the rest of their species were very, very rare (as in the last one was preagriculture rare) and starved very, very easily, meaning that they and their kids with the gene just died, and the weaker ones who needed to eat less survived and passed down their genes to us.

As for drugs making you stronger, that's not quite true. You're actually that strong right now, sitting in your computer chair. The average housewife could probably lift a car. The problem is that our muscles, bones, and so on can't take that kind of strain all the time. Yeah, the housewife could lift the car, but doing so once would rip her muscles to shreds, shatter her bones, the rise in blood pressure would rupture important blood vessels and give her an aneurysm and all sorts of shit that's basically a death sentence, or at the very least a lifetime of being crippled if she somehow managed to survive. Our brains have hardwired limits in them that you can't break through with force of will any more than you could make your kidneys stop filtering blood through force of will.
>>
File: bigeyewtf.jpg (33KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
bigeyewtf.jpg
33KB, 268x265px
>>85586333

That said, there are ways to remove a little bit of those limits, to allow your muscles to work at capacities that would tear them up if you did it all the time, but you could heal from just fine if you only did it a few times in your lifetime. One of those things is adrenaline, which is why you run faster, react quicker and are generally stronger when you're shitscared and panicking.

Another way to remove those limits is through certain drugs. I'm not sure about the exact effects of bath salts, but back in the day when PCP was a big problem, men were getting shot and not falling down, breaking through walls (and then generally falling down. Not because of the pain, which they couldn't feel, but because their bones had literally shattered and were rubbery and unable to support anything), beating people and objects with "superhuman strength" (and shattering their arms irreparably, but also seriously harming the other person). They still mostly died after shit like that, but dying takes a minute or two and they could keep going until their bodies were mechanically unable to.

Batman isn't possible. If he was, he would be a fantastic weapon and we would be using him as a military option instead of the more typical special operations forces that most countries have (which are about as batmaneque as is possible). There's also the fact that "high-tech" doesn't always mean "better," which is why gadgets aren't really used as weapons. Yes, a batterang that can use sonar to home in on a criminal to hit him is neat, but a chemically propelled bullet that wreaks havoc on the body it hits, and probably kills the person it hits, and also travels faster than anyone can swing a batterang? And on top of that, you can make the gun and more bullets than you will ever need for the cost of a single batterang? That's just the better choice in a fight. All the other kinds of gadgets that are remotely useful are already used, like tasers, laser pointers, tear gas, etc.
>>
>>85586333
Look up Micheal Phelps' mutations
The dude is basically a dolphin, he was born to swim
>>
File: diabeetuscat.jpg (66KB, 496x447px) Image search: [Google]
diabeetuscat.jpg
66KB, 496x447px
>>85586540

The same physics that make multiverses possible mean that technically anything is possible. Not in a multiverse way, just in a way that randomly, for no reason, out of sheer chance, your atoms could instantly reform into a perfectly normal peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. That's just mildly unlikely compared your several times highly unlikely universe hoppers visiting us, too.
>>
File: muscle hypertrophy.jpg (95KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
muscle hypertrophy.jpg
95KB, 700x525px
>>85586333
Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy.

Myostatin is a substance in the body that inhibits muscle growth. People can rarely be born with a mutation that prevents the body from producing myostatin, which leaves them with way more muscle mass than regular humans. Like, twice as much.
>>
>>85587943
is there a downside
>>
>>85587974
i bet the stresses on bones are way higher
>>
>>85587974

Your muscles grow all the time, without stopping. Not just your arms and legs, but also your heart, blood vessels, intestines, all of them. Hearts get too bulky and can't bend far enough to pump blood, blood vessels squeeze too hard and increase blood pressure until an aneurysm, intestines get so bulky that food can't fit through them, all sorts of nasty shit.

Also yes, as >>85588040 said it would be a tremendous strain on your bones, causing stress fractures and brittleness. You probably wouldn't live long enough to really worry about that, though. It's unlikely that you'd see 25.
>>
>>85588154
Total bullshit. Last I checked it just slightly increases your risk of heart conditions. It doesn't fuck up your bones or intestines.
>>
>>85587974
You have to wear lots of pouches and grimace constantly.
>>
>>85588200

It considerably increases the risk of heart conditions in animals that normally have very short lives, and it greatly reduces their lifespan compared to nonafflicted members of the same species. In even the short time it has to work on them, it fucks them up massively to the point where the medical treatment is just too expensive to use them as anything more than a novelty.

In humans, which are much longer lived, it's stupid, stupid rare. Too rare to even make statistics about the effects of it, as in you could count on your fingers the number of recorded cases there are. All we have are case studies about various cases of poorly understood organ degradation at an early age as well as a abnormally large number of childhood accidents. If it were /fit/: the gene, you would think it would be a bit more widespread, no?

There are other forms of hypertrophy that you could have used, and one or two of them aren't even that bad as long as you don't want kids and don't mind a little bit of disfigurement along with a slew of nasty-but-usually-not-fatal health problems, depending on the kind. Although I guess you went with one of the most newly discovered and least understood ones because then you can fill the gaps with how cool it sounds in your fantasies.
>>
>>85587943
That's incredibly depressing. How would you even handle that if he was your child? Just let him think it's cool? Let him enjoy it without worry? Silently shoot him in the head in his sleep when reaches the age to the point in which he starts to suffer? Or tell him what will happen, let him know he'll die young, but let it ride out on his own terms? I couldn't handle this, I'll never breed until I can genetically engineer my child. If ever.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.