[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are protagonists so hard to write for? Why are they often

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: hercules-clip-art-hercules002.gif (17KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
hercules-clip-art-hercules002.gif
17KB, 445x500px
Why are protagonists so hard to write for? Why are they often times the most boring character in the cast? Is it because they're often times a "goody-goody" character and that's boring?

Can you name heroes who are the best character in their own story?
>>
>>85583917
>Can you name heroes who are the best character in their own story?
Steven Universe
>>
>>85583956
>Steven more interesting than any of the Gems.
Nah.
>>
File: tick.jpg (19KB, 392x295px) Image search: [Google]
tick.jpg
19KB, 392x295px
>>85583917
>can you name heroes who are the best character in their own story?

Pic related.
>>
File: 1448237973678.jpg (138KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1448237973678.jpg
138KB, 960x960px
>>85583917
A goody-goody character isn't necessarily boring, inherently.

Showing their struggle with a world where their ideals are challenged and not always flawless, but perhaps ultimately better, and showing the struggle of their virtue and principle against trying times can be very interesting.

It's hard to write a protagonist because they are the core of a story, they are the foundation on which the rest of the character cast must be built.

Boring protagonists mean a story was written lazily.

Hercules in actual Greek mythology is far more interesting than the cartoon version because the tales were written better, simply put.
>>
>>85583917
>Can you name heroes who are the best character in their own story?
Yusuke Uremeshi? although it's been ages since I've seen that show.
>>
File: 1383785008319.gif (436KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1383785008319.gif
436KB, 500x370px
>>85584872
>being this wrong

You're a meshi, alright.
>>
Protagonists which are universally adored and are always expected to save the day are usually disliked. Liked protagonists are ones that are hated by the people they're saving and usually have to prove themselves in a world full of unappreciative assholes. So it's not so much that the protagonists are bad, it's just that readers don't appreciate heroes in worlds that appreciate them or are in a good enough state to not even need them.

Do something like put Superman in Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and you have a hero that everyone likes.
>>
>>85583956
LOL
>>
>>85584214
>Hercules in actual Greek mythology is far more interesting than the cartoon version because the tales were written better, simply put.
Also because he wasn't held back by the limitations of a children's narrative.

Though kid stories are exponentially better in literature, they really gotta dumb down the amount of personalities they can use in shows and movies. I feel like I can classify most main characters in kids stuff as either "quirky", "goody-two shoes", or "complete asshole".
>>
>>85583956
That's more by default since literally everyone else is such an unlikable piece of shit.
>>
File: 1459737093689.png (376KB, 461x450px) Image search: [Google]
1459737093689.png
376KB, 461x450px
>>85585529
>Do something like put Superman in Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and you have a hero that everyone likes

No you fucking don't. That's been tried countless times, and every time it was horrible. Fuck, that's literally how they're trying to portray him in the DCEU and it's a complete disaster.
>>
>>85585048
>he ACTUALLY thinks Kuwabara is more interesting than my nigga Yusuke
Kek, get a load of this guy.
>>
The protagonist has to carry the plot. Other characters get to do as they please, but overall aren't as important.
>>
Protagonists rarely have charisma, they're usually just bland characters who fit in perfectly with the world around them, thus preventing any proper character drama to unfold. If someone dislikes them, it's usually because THAT character is the jerk, not because the character is actually annoying. We are supposed to like the protagonist because that's the point of the story, that the protagonist is a person we want to succeed, otherwise they wouldn't be the protagonist.

Antagonists, on the other hand, have charisma because they personality for clashing against the world, many times pointing out flaws that deserve to be pointed out. They generate drama, and drama is where growth happens, so as a result a villain becomes the most well-rounded character in a given story. Hack writers who recognize this try to mediate it by simply removing the villain from the story until the very end, thus keeping them as some nebulous force of evil that the protagonists have to stop for no other reason than because they have to.
>>
>>85587343
Yusuke was gonna be what I posted too.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.