[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: TMNT.jpg (66KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
TMNT.jpg
66KB, 500x375px
Anyone see the 2003 TMNT show? I used to LOVE it as a kid, and I never really hear people talk about it except when people whine about how "bad" the new one is in comparison. The newer show hardly refers to it, despite the fact it clearly took inspiration from the same places as 2003. I watched the 2003 series again and I loved it even more than I did when I was little.

>What do you think of TMNT 2003?
>What's your favorite version of TMNT?
>>
>>85579671
>What's your favorite version of TMNT?
IDW, most definitely. 2003 is the best show, but doesn't do as well as a "distillation" of Turtles as IDW does, and also has a really fucking shitty Casey and April. Plus, the IDW origin of the Turtles is GOAT; it ties into all conceptual elements of the franchise in a way that feels "clean".
>>
>>85579671
TMNT 2003 was goat, turtles had different personalities, shredder was awesome and the foot seemed believable threat
>>
>>85579671
this show got shafted pretty hard in a lot of ways. being on 4kids, being pretty censored (but surprisingly not in some ways), being non-union so they couldnt have guest stars even if they could have afforded it, couldnt get the old actors in for cameos or anything..
It's definitely the best TMNT but it's still pretty neutered and not quite as pitch-perfect as the first movie was.
>>
>>85579671
Basically TMNT 87 is like Batman 66
2003 is like BTAS
what people cant agree on right now is whether 2012 is the equivalent of 'the' batman or BatB. not that I like either one but at least the latter deserves some respect. It kind of swings between "stupid dumbass shit we threw on the tv for the little kids" and "put some thought into this, had some respect for what we're adapting"
But really, if you're GOING to go silly, you should do it like the 2nd movie. That remains enjoyable to this day.
>>
>>85579671
>I used to LOVE it as a kid
>2003
You have to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>85579671
desu. i've nener seen the one from the1980's
>>
>>85580221
that was 13 years ago, man. we're old as fucking balls.
>>85580277
it's fun. you should go watch at least the first season. it's all downhill from there.
>>
>>85580221
If I was 5 in 2003 how old am I now?
>>
>>85580221
Not him, but 10 years old is still a kid. I'm 23 years old.
>tfw you realize you haven't watched TMNT 03 for 10+ years.
>>
PARKAAAH
>>
>>85580277
Hey man, Noone can find me wrong if she's good-looking enough.
>>
>>85580678
I gave it a simultaneous rewatch with the 87 series about 2 years ago. that was an interesting time
>>
>>85579671

I was really disappointed by this show. It was trying really hard to play with the DCAU big boys, but it just didn't have the talent. Not in the writing, animation, or voice acting. Just blah
>>
>>85580221
>1990 was 40 years ago
>>
A lot of people whine about some aspects of Turtles Forever, but I think it's less insulting if you consider that that wasn't actually the cartoon universe, it was the toy-commercial universe
>broad characterization
>wrong voices
>constantly talking to the camera
>monsters slightly weirder than usual
>everything's in a perpetual state. April is always being kidnapped, Shredder is always attacking
>everything is resolved in a few minutes by the enemies screwing up
all it needed was the narration and the wrong-melody theme tune at the end.
>>
>>85580795
Leo, Don, and April were fine. but yeah the 4kids voice actors did make it hard to take seriously the rest of the time
>>
>>85580221
The definition of kid has been stretched so far anymore. I just heard something about a 32 year old Olympic athlete being called a kid
>>
>>85580871
and they wonder why people are so dangerously irresponsible in their youth now. This is what you get, grandparents. you insulted our parents' generation unnecessarily, and look what happened to our generation and the one being currently raised by the few of us who found mates
what'd you THINK was gonna happen?
>>
>>85580147
>not that I like either one
Wow, you've got shit taste either way.
Really, it's closest to BtB: A lot of good ideas bogged down by a lot of bad ones.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 318x159px
>>85579671

>2003
>a kid

Jesus, Tony! How old is this kid?
>>
>>85580834
I felt like Transdimensional Turtles was Turtles Forever done right. Everyone was in character, the '87 Turtles actually acted like the '87, the humor was great, and it was an all around fun episode. Though, I kinda wish it had a call back to Turtles Forever

>Turtles get to Turtle Prime
>They see the Mirage Turtles
>'87 Donny: Oh hey guys, what's up?
>'12 Donny: .....you KNOW them?
>'87 Donny: yeaaaaah, long story.
>>
>>85581130
Go home, grandpa. Not my problem that you're middle-aged.
>>
>>85581061
but btb was trying to be good and serious and do a good job, this show is goofing around hardcore.
>>
>>85581155
all the more reason to think it wasn't them!
i haven't seen that but i can't imagine it had the level of contrast that made Forever so neat. it was absolutely badass seeing Ch'rell get one more shot at villainy, and utilizing the limitless power of a cartoonier universe to cause some serious destruction
>>
>>85581179
it's gonna be your problem when they have to raise taxes to handle all of our healthcare because you collectively didnt make enough money to support us
>>
>>85579671
I liked the short Moo Mesa cameo they did in the "Future" arc.
>>
>>85579721
>has a really fucking shitty Casey and April.
2k3? I have to agree to an extend mainly because April was bland there although I have to admit waifufags mostly hated her because they couldn't fap to her.

Casey was good in the first season, he was intimidating and had a pretty good motivation to fight crime and hate the purple dragons but as the cartoon went he just became the buttmonkey and a clown.

Especially when Eastman left since Eastman really likes Casey.
>>
>>85581569
april was great, the problem is how hard she was shilled
casey... LOOKED cool. A beefy casey with glorious hair and a lantern jaw is always welcome in my book. My headCasey will always be that with just a little more Koteas in
but his personality, voice, characterization, fuckin shite. and then even worse they made him henpecked so they could make april look even cooler. then they did the same thing in the 4th movie, which, while pretty awesome, had that flaw in common with the show, along with its retarded mikey (who inexplicably wasnt allowed to use his nunchaku as if this was 1992 again)

buuut i'm pretty sure eastman wasn't involved in the 2k3 show, that's why it was good. it was the laird one. eastman's involved in the current one. it's kinda like the romero-whoever split of the 'dead' movies.
>>
>>85581155
Krang did seem goofier than usual, although I guess that's better than the completely useless 80s Leonardo in Turtles Forever.
>>
>>85581179
Grow up and have sex before. You must be 18 to post here kid.
>>
>>85579671
I like 2003 but I prefer 2012 for the most part.
>>
>>85581648
I dunno Laird did good on 2k3 but he has always been shit when it came to Casey.

Casey has always been one of Eastman's fav characters and it shows because he co-plots the main IDW series (and does the layout) and besides his arc in the first volume of the Mirage comics (the one where he accidentally kills a punk and gets depression and then involved with Gabrielle) it has been the most Casey has ever got in terms of significant motivations and character development other than "lol Goongala!" and the most he's been involved and important to a main TMNT plot (that shitty April and Casey comic pretty much confirmed he was going to be a major player in the main Pantheon arc).

How involved is Eastman in the cartoon? I know he has done a few episodes here but the monster horror thing is more of Ciro Nieli's doing, he even admits to it being his thing.

Elias Koteas is best Casey but they wasted his potential by not having him in the 2nd movie and in the third one he was barely there.
>>
>>85585627
Made more sense than Splintet doing it though, especially since in that context he wouldn’t have known about the reinassance much less about its painters.

April also is a character that has a connection to the past, her dad owns an antiques shop and she has always been a history buff, made sense she would give them those names.

probably just replied to bait
>>
>>85579721
It's.... interesting. I don't think reincarnation really has any place in this kinda story.. but even if I liked the origin, I wouldn't want it for TMNT. TMNT's origin is pure and beautiful. It's Daredevil's origin from a different point of view!!
>>
>>85585927
Hmm. Well everyone has their blind spots.
I think Eastman is kinda Stan Leeing the new show. He's not super involved with the actual writing.
and yeah the 2nd movie suffered from wesley syndrome badly. Not that I had a big problem with Keno, it's obvious why they wanted to give him his own movie after he had such a minor part in the first one.. he's got a lotta charm. but basically everything about him was just a rehash of themes done better with april's boss's son in the first movie. wouldve been way better to give casey another go
for that matter, wouldve been better if they'd stuck with the 'professor perry is an utrom' reveal, but I can understand why they didn't
>>
>>85586014
Splinter is obviously a hyperintelligent rat even before being mutated. He also lived longer than a rat should, and was able to hide on Yoshi's person as he went all the way across the Pacific and then all the way across America. That requires intelligence. Fucker was able to learn martial arts, fucker could read, I guarantee he was a NIMH rat.
>>
>>85581130
if he was at least 12, he'd be 25 now
>>
Season 3 is awesome. A six-part Triceraton invasion, the Exodus two-parter, the whole Ultimate Drako arc... very cool in general.

They tried way too hard to make Mikey funny. I think he was legitimately funny like once or twice.
>>
>>85586808
Yeah the 21st century has not been kind to michelangelo. Nobody fucking gets him. Sure the 80s toon didnt really get him either but it was intentional.
The movies got it right though. Even the third. he's supposed to be the heart of the team, the bright and artistic one. Creative, athletic, and lazy.. not lazy because he's an idiot, lazy because he gets BORED easily. He's the guy who will NOT tolerate being told to do an hour of training because that's all well and good on his body but his MIND needs something to stimulate it. He tells jokes because his brain is always running, and if he tells a bad one, it should be because that's his only way to cope with the crushing silence
>>
>>85579721
I actually feel the opposite. I think 2k3 is the best distillation of the franchise. IDW does some interesting things that , while they work for what it is, feel too unique to it, namely the reincarnation thing. The spiritual aspect in TMNT always feels just a little weird to me, and I prefer it when it's more mysterious than overt.

What I think makes the best default turtle series is how well woven the sci-fi aspect is with street level stuff. I get the apprehension towards Utrom Shredder, but it helped tie in everything really nicely.
>>
>>85586962
I think the writers had a general idea of what to do with 2k3 Mikey, they just had to kowtow to the need to have quips for commercials and bumpers and have someone be the generic idea of what the TMNT are like. I like how they tease the idea of him being one of the best physically, just undisciplined. If the show got to continue in its natural course we probably would've seen more of this.
>>
>>85586962
That's a pretty interesting way to characterize Mikey. Why can't paid writers figure that out?

Speaking of which, if you read Peter Laird's blog, he used to sometimes post old emails between him and one of the showrunners. Laird is the sole reason the 2003 season didn't suck dick. Some of those 4Kids writers were awful, just awful.

Fast Forward in particular was the greatest disservice to the character of Michelangelo ever. He became an all-time whiny, self-centered dickhead.
>>
>>85587305
Because Mikey's more popular as a childish loon.
>>
>>85587305
i miss the old ninjaturtles.com when it was all laird-run and had all his old sketches and shit. i wish he'd moved that to a personal site when he sold the turtles to viacom
>>
>>85587569
His blog maybe?
>>
>>85587610
maybe, but i doubt it
and no modern blog platforms allow for simple things like pages broken up into categories on a simple menu that you can navigate.
>>
>>85587554
How would they know? The sensible mikey's never appeared on TV, only in the 90s movies
>>
Easily the best animated turtles series.
>>
>>85588613
best toyline too (though that's contentious given how bafflingly amazing the original was). It had playmates' usual shenaniproblems, but at least the sculpts were good and accurate and they bothered with paint apps. At the very least it's the best toyline TRYING to be like the show. the old toyline wasnt really, it was the other way around.
>>
I've been wanting to watch the series again, haven't gone back since it ended..

I feel like the Utrom Shredder is what ruined this show from having wide spread appeal. I personally enjoyed it, but most 87 Turtle fans just shit over the show because of it.

4kids also shouldn't of forced Fast Forward just to sell new lines of toys. It isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, but it basically tried to force reboot a show, and has way to many similarities with Sonic X which 4kids also ran.

I really haven't given the 2012 TMNT a fair shot either, I didn't really enjoy the first season, with a lot of their redesigned bothering me, empty back grounds, and major story elements. I've heard the later seasons are better, but I don't know if it's by much.
>>
>>85579671
That show was the shit man
>>
>>85590870
Yeah is there a word for that? Something which isn't bad on its own, and probably existed to be a surprise, but because it was so different and weird and something your friends can be like "oh, that new show? dude i heard they made shredder an alien. fuckin bullshit" about.. so it can hurt a show.

I don't think fast forward was for selling toys, I mean.. it really could have pushed toyetic aspects a lot more, but didn't. if anything the ninja tribunal arc seemed to have the most toyness to it.

I haven't given the 2012 show a 100% fair shot either, but it just has so many dealbreakers. Raph being terrified of cockroaches? He was raised in a fucking new york sewer! That's like making Clark Kent afraid of corn
>>
>>85591113
I just remember the Ninja Tribunal being short, Leo being Emo, and it was only a DVD release or something.. I think they aired it after or during Fast forward.
>>
>>85591113
and actually I could have forgiven the REdesigns, almost, kind of (Splinter is fine. making him tall is.. weird, but damn if it doesn't kinda work. It just makes you wonder why HE isnt the one out there fighting crime. and to be fair that's true of 2003 splinter too, who is canonically the mightiest warrior in all of existence across all realities.)

the designs I can't forgive are the fucking awful monsters. The "spider" mutant that looks like a rabbids character. The new version of mutagen man who has big eyelashes and a disembodied mouth with big kissy lips on it like some kind of Yoshi's Story boss. There's a fucking cat mutated with icecream. Everything looks so fucking goofy.
even in the goofiest days of the 80s they tried making shit look cool or at least kinda badass in a grossout garbage pail kids kinda way
>>
>>85591206
it was an On Demand release. Which is fucking weird.. but it's happening more and more often lately. Korra, Regular Show, etc.
>>
Why did they make him suffer so much?
>>
>>85591750
They were so happy to have him back to his original canon self instead of making him a nerdy little ginger because you can't have a black mad scientist! That'd be nutty and/or get us in trouble!! but they did it anyway.
maybe someday we'll get April in her original frizzy-haired, big-lipped, melanized form instead of the ginger she's been in every version since.. I mean in fairness her last name is o'neil
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.