[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust is settled can we all agree that his Batman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160628_083055.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160628_083055.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
Now that the dust is settled can we all agree that his Batman is mediocre?
>>
>>85571378
Fuck off back to /Pol/ Damifan (yes I will not call him with a derogatory homophobic name)
>>
>>85571378
>that half-assed headgear edit
>>
>>85571378
Batman is literally holding up DC on his back, they can't possibly give him someone like King to do anything legitimately interesting with
>>
>>85571398
Fag
>>
>>85571415
They allowed both Morrison and Snyder to do whatever they want. even King's Batman is different than a traditional Batman story. Hurr durr DC's fault for King not writing good.
>>
>>85571398
Knobgobbling Fuckmint
>>
No Op you're just a raging homosexual. King's Batman us already better than Snyder's entire run.
>>
>>85571378
Yeah it's shit.

He is over the top with unknown dialogue boxes that line up to a big reveal and setting up for the death of batman is boring.

On top of that he calls the league in just to have them job to a nobody and flips between what Bruce is capable of between issues.
>>
>>85571378
Nope, it's really damn good so far.
>>
>>85571502
>better than Snyder's entire run.
I don't understand how /co/cksuckers think this helps their argument when you faggots pretty much declared Snyder's Batman was the worst piece of shit you've ever come across. By your logic it being better than Snyder's Batman isn't much of an achievement.
>>
>>85571548
Gotham was not an interesting character and the arc hinged on him entirely. The Waller/Pirate/Strange thing may go somewhere, but holy shit it's a slow build.
>>
>>85571564
To be clear, this was billed as the "sure thing" in rebirth. Tom "never a bad issue" King with batman.

Yet his Batman falls well below even Jessica Cruz book let alone big hitters like Titans, Flash, Aquaman and Superman. WW is slow out of the gates too, but the characterisation is spot on.
>>
>>85571576
Dude, you have seriously awful taste if you think any of those 4 are legit good.
>>
>>85571588
>Dude, you have seriously awful taste if you think any of those 4 are legit good.
All of them shit all over King's Batman.
>>
>>85571599
0/10
>>
>>85571613
That's what I score the run so far too.
>>
>>85571588
Not him but Superman is generic but really enjoyable and fun. There isn't much to criticize there. Green Arrow on the other hand, that book is beast. Art, concept, pacing. Everything is great.
Batman had serious issues with pacing, art is definition of mediocrity and concept was good but execution became utterly predictable.
>>
I don't know, his issues actually leave me looking forward to the next one, and excited about what'll happen. Which the previous run didn't. Maybe that's mediocre, but I'll definitely take it.
>>
>>85571639
Concept is weak but execution is what's great with Batman. Pacing is fine.
>>
>>85571502
That's not a very high bar to hit.
>>
>>85571649
Within 1 issue we went from Gotham who is trying to save Gotham and is purely batman inspired to Gotham who wants to destroy the world.

Strange, Waller and Pirate all got one panel each, all at the end of an issue to bait you into the next but it was never expanded on again. The end of #5 even tries to bait you into the next by telling you that Batman is going to die.

It's boring, slow (except #4 in which everything happened) and relying on end of issue gimmicks to keep people going.

How is calling in the JL just to have the whole team job a decent execution of the end of the arc?
>>
i like it
>>
>>85571670
Also Batman knowing to go to Gotham's parents house and deducing that Gotham took his mask off and got caught was bullshit.
>>
>>85571649
>Pacing is fine.
No it isn't. King wasted 5 pages on Batfred and unnecessary fluff which ended up being the best part about the book even though it was useless. Justice League getting solod in 2 pages and Gotham being defeated in one page isn't what I'd call fine pacing. That aside Gotham was underdeveloped character and that's a fault of the pacing too.
I wish King would stop using unnecessary splash pages and tell a compressed story if he doesn't have too many issues.

And how is concept weak and execution good?
>>
King's book is just uneven. There are good moments followed by bad ones. I like his concept of a campy action movie Batman, but some things just need fixing. King has said that six issue arcs is something he's new to, and prefers 12 issue arcs. Morrison's first Batman arc was weak and a setup as well. His end of the issue hooks aren't strong enough. Nothing wrong with pacing really.
>>
>>85571670
>Strange, Waller and Pirate all got one panel each, all at the end of an issue to bait you into the next but it was never expanded on again
Maybe it'll be expanded in that BATMAN'S SUICIDE SQUAD arc?
Nice shilling there with Skwad, DC.
>>
>>85571685
OP here, I like it too. I just don't think the quality is quite there.
>>
Also introducing the concept that for a few bucks you can get a pill that lets you destroy the whole justice league is garbage.
>>
>>85571670
Your "arguments" sound retarded.
>>
>>85571709
Yeah Morrison hit his stride with the Black Glove arcs. Only good thing about Batman and Son was issue 666 with future Damian being an edgy Batman.
>>
>>85571740
At least he's intelligent enough to form an argument. Not that you're capable enough to counter them fuckwit.
>>
>>85571740
You have no problem with, for example, the Justice League getting called in just to job for two pages?

You have no problem with the introduction of a pay to win pill that lets anyone take down the Justice League?

You have no problem with big teases being dropped at the end of every issue but then never being followed up on?

You have no problem with characters doing complete 180's on their development thus far in the space of one issue?

You have no problem with Batman magically working out that due to their being one surviving soldier that he must have been a) at the fight b) faked his death c) fooled Gotham's super senses d) snapped a photo (again, alluding a character who said he could see everything) e) must have decided to go and kill Gothams parents (lol what?)

You have no problem with the introduction of more characters to the bat family bloat?

You found the Gotham and Gotham Girl concept to be an interesting arc?

You enjoy 6 issues of shilling "monster men are coming" to advertise an upcoming cross over?

I've got some magic beans to sell you
>>
>>85571704
That has nothing to do with pacing. The only legit point of yours was killing Gotham without any character development. JL and Avengers appearing for a few panels has always been a thing. So has been villains being defeated out of nowhere.
>>
>>85571770
This
>Within 1 issue we went from Gotham who is trying to save Gotham and is purely batman inspired to Gotham who wants to destroy the world.
is not an argument. It's a pathetic and clumsy attempt at summarizing past events.
>>
>>85571792
>JL and Avengers appearing for a few panels has always been a thing
Appear is different to appear and job to a threat to make him seem stronger.

It's very weak writing to say "look how strong my villain is, he can go around beating up all these other established characters".
>>
>>85571806
Back in the day we used Alpha Flight and Doom Patrol for that.
>>
>>85571791
Another anon, but most of your arguments don't actually make much sense. Watch Nolan's or Snyder's cape movies if you want some reality.

>>85571806
It actually made sense. Gotham used up most of his limited power against the league, which ultimately killed him.
>>
>>85571795
>One punch
>Whoosh, OMG Flash is down
2 punches, holy shit Superman is done for
That's not the kind of writing that's particularly good, captivating or immersive even. You have to let it breathe a little to make it believable. I don't have problem with JL jobbing but at least make execution about it good or intelligent.
>>
>>85571834
>but most of your arguments don't actually make much sense. Watch Nolan's or Snyder's cape movies if you want some reality.
Get your fingers out of your ears.

>It actually made sense. Gotham used up most of his limited power against the league, which ultimately killed him.
Who is Gotham and why the fuck can he take the league down? King had not developed him enough and come the end of the arc he didn't have a good enough villain. So he calls up the league, has them all job, now Gotham is suddenly a literal God tier threat from nothing (in the space of two pages) when not 1 issue ago he was a hero.

It's all over the place, it's not good writing, it has nothing to do with the movies.
>>
I hope he'll write another book with more unknown/less popular characters, he's much better at those.

He's exclusive, he should write more than Batman.
>>
>>85571863
Powerfaggotry is not an argument. Nobody cares about DBZ. It was even explained by gotham girl that his powers were limited and he exhausted them all to reach Justice league's level. I can agree with Gotham not being enough of a developed character, but powerfaggotry is fucking retarded. Most of your arguments are that King didn't follow up on everything in 5 issues in a run of 24 issues, or it's too campy for you. Complaining about pills that give you Superman powers in DC universe is just autistic.
>>
>>85571378
I'll take mediocre over Snyder's reign of terror.
>>
>>85571791
>You have no problem with, for example, the Justice League getting called in just to job for two pages?
If they hadn't shown up, you'd bitch about "where's the JL during all this" if they'd show up and save the day, you'd bitch about "why is the JL saving the day in a comic called "Batman"?
>You have no problem with the introduction of a pay to win pill that lets anyone take down the Justice League?
Why should it? a lot of the way these comic book characters get powers are shitty failed experiments and yet they get the powers to obliterate cities. considering this power kills you I don't see the problem.
>You have no problem with big teases being dropped at the end of every issue but then never being followed up on?
such as?
>You have no problem with characters doing complete 180's on their development thus far in the space of one issue?
such as?
>You have no problem with Batman magically working out that due to their being one surviving soldier that he must have been a) at the fight b) faked his death c) fooled Gotham's super senses d) snapped a photo (again, alluding a character who said he could see everything) e) must have decided to go and kill Gothams parents (lol what?)
I have no problem with batman being smart and having unbelievable deductive skills. That sequence was hype as hell.
>You have no problem with the introduction of more characters to the bat family bloat?
If you ask me I'd kill off your stupid fan favorites like Steph, Harper and Tim/Damian but it is what it is, at the very least Duke has been well written in Batman.
>You found the Gotham and Gotham Girl concept to be an interesting arc?
I was skeptical at first but I greatly enjoyed the arc.
>You enjoy 6 issues of shilling "monster men are coming" to advertise an upcoming cross over?
I like it when future storylines are teased, yes. Makes the threat feel larger. Do you have a problem with comics that aren't written for the trade?
>>
>>85571912
>Powerfaggotry is not an argument
It's not power levels.

There is a difference between a villain that can take on Batman and a villain that can bitch slap the league. King took Gotham from A to B in 2 pages using one of the worst story telling mechanisms ever.

A magic pill is not a compelling plot element.

>that King didn't follow up on everything in 5 issues
He didn't even dedicate another panel to Psycho Pirate, Strange and Waller got one which was setting up Batmans unbelievable detective work because King had written himself into a corner. If you drop a big character on the last page of a comic, then don't even mention it again, it's a gimmick. If you do it on 4 out of 5 issues, it's a blowout.
>>
>>85571882
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/750470231118651392
>>
>>85571949
>If they hadn't shown up, you'd bitch about "where's the JL during all this"
Then don't create a character that is a God to take on Batman. It's not compelling storytelling and lead him into a garbage situation.
>Why should it? a lot of the way these comic book characters get powers are shitty failed experiments and yet they get the powers to obliterate cities. considering this power kills you I don't see the problem.
There is a pill you can buy that allows you to stomp the league. 100% repeatable.
>such as? [teases]
Psycho Pirate, Waller and the Suicide Squad, Hugo Strange, death of batman
>such as? [180's]
Gotham issue 4.
>I have no problem with batman being smart and having unbelievable deductive skills. That sequence was hype as hell.
There was no link between any of the steps. There was no way of connecting a living soldier to be a surviving soldier who took a photo and looked it up in a special database and tracked down the parents.
>If you ask me I'd kill off your stupid fan favorites like Steph, Harper and Tim/Damian but it is what it is,
And what it is is bloated
>>
>>85571963
>There is a difference between a villain that can take on Batman and a villain that can bitch slap the league. King took Gotham from A to B in 2 pages using one of the worst story telling mechanisms ever.
That's nothing but power level faggotry. Notice how only powerlevelfags are complaining.

>He didn't even dedicate another panel to Psycho Pirate, Strange and Waller got one which was setting up Batmans unbelievable detective work because King had written himself into a corner. If you drop a big character on the last page of a comic, then don't even mention it again, it's a gimmick. If you do it on 4 out of 5 issues, it's a blowout.
How new are you to serial comics?
>>
>>85571995
>Then don't create a character that is a God to take on Batman. It's not compelling storytelling and lead him into a garbage situation.
Why?
>There is a pill you can buy that allows you to stomp the league. 100% repeatable.
For maybe one hour and then you die. Great trade off.
Sounds like you're a powerlevelfag. Ew.
>Psycho Pirate, Waller and the Suicide Squad, Hugo Strange
Jesus Christ are you retarded? this is just the first arc, they'll be followed up later. How hard is that to understand
>death of batman
literally last issue...
>There was no link between any of the steps.
There was plenty. Not a stretch to believe one of the surviving soldiers knew Gotham's identity and that he'd go after his loved ones. Deductive skills.
>And what it is is bloated
Literally not King's fault. And it's not a recent problem either.
>>
>>85572045
>Notice how only powerlevelfags are complaining.
No. You are just actively ignoring.

>How new are you to serial comics?
Not new

>>85572071
It's no believable, it's not compelling and it can't be resolved in a meaningful or satisfying way.

>p-powerlevels
Again, no. It's not good world building to establish shit like that. Theres no reason for Batman not to go and get the same thing done. He can be Batman forever but when the need arises go God mode. Why won't he do that?

>Jesus Christ are you retarded? this is just the first arc, they'll be followed up later. How hard is that to understand
They literally JUST got the teaser panel. If you drop a character in for one panel and then drop it for 4+ issues it's poor pacing.
>literally last issue...
Literally a gimmick
>Literally not King's fault. And it's not a recent problem either.
He just introduced new characters and relationships whilst sidelining a number of existing ones.
>>
>>85572103
>it's poor pacing.
It's the opposite of poor pacing. especially for something that double ships. You clearly don't know shit.
>>
>>85571378
Whatever it is, it's better than Snyder.
>>
>>85571378

Nope.

Each issue of King's Batman has been a good single issue while also telling a larger story, something few comics even try to do anymore.
No idea about Pirate or Waller but Strange is largely off panel because he's the big bad coming up in the Monster Men crossover.
As for the pacing, if you don't like getting your comics in bite sized chunks, there are these things called "trade paperbacks" that collect all the issues together, I think that should solve your pacing issues.
>>
Time for the /co/ntrarions to show themselves.
We get it, you want to be a special snowflake by hating Rebirth. Epic.
>>
>Within 1 issue we went from Gotham who is trying to save Gotham and is purely batman inspired to Gotham who wants to destroy the world.

I kinda wish King did this in the second arc, First arc would be about something else, have them testing waters and getting used to work together and get along, but not mainly. Then Gotham turn bad. It's still cliche but would made more impact.
>>
It would be fine if he just ditched the sidekick shenanigans. I could not give two shits about the batfamily anymore and the idea that we can't just get a straight fucking batman story anymore without all of this robin drama is just aggravating. King had some good stuff going with Gotham and his story but all of the Duke drama fucking derailed it.
>>
>>85571378
This meme is mediocre.
>>
File: Hugo Strange 2.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hugo Strange 2.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>85571709
>>85571752
Yeah, I'm liking it so far, I just hope he picks up a little after this "Gotham" stuff. I really want to see Hugo fuck Batman up next arc.
>>
How did Batman know about the Pirate in issue 5? I genuinely dont remember them meeting
>>
>>85573958
Waller told him about using Pirate to control criminals and using Strange to control Pirate.
>>
>>85571378
He should've had Bats drop his tired "no guns" rule (he did it in the golden age, amirite?) and had him become a spy. Him and Dickie could've ran around in tight leather pants shooting zombies in the head.
>>
>>85573579
Duke is barely featured in King's Batman. He does nothing but sit in the batcave and look shit up on the computer.
>>
>>85571378
Yes. It's a freaking mess.
>>
>>85571442
The last time Morrison did something interesting with Batman was when he was """dead""" and even then he wasn't dead and then Morrison made a bunch of other Batmans.

Also they weren't riding on Batman carrying an entire film franchise back then either.
>>
>>85574696
>Also they weren't riding on Batman carrying an entire film franchise back then either.

>2009

Uhhhhh
>>
>>85574624

"Barely featured" still means he's featured. And every time we cut to him, it kills the pacing and momentum. Getting rid of the cuts back to the cave would make the story flow in an infinitely more smooth way.
>>
>>85571709
I like to remind myself that Duggan-Posehn's Deadpool didn't have the Good Bad Ugly until arc 3.
This is the first time King's gotten the chance to play the long con on an ongoing, without limits of cancellation. The arc and his previous writing has given me faith in future stories.

Next issue is a oneshot epilogue with Ivan Reis, and was written inspired by the death of his Grandmother, so I trust in the suffering level to push up quality.
>>
It's uneven, that's all. There's some pretty good scenes, but the overall plot and its execution are spotty at best. And in this case there isn't even Capullo's art to enjoy at if you don't like the writing.

Maybe I just expected too much, maybe it's just King getting used to the format. Who knows. We will see, for now I'm following it.
>>
>>85574770
Don't worry about it anon, underage b&s don't remember how big of a powerhouse Nolan's trilogy was.
>>
>>85574797
Every time Duke is normally involved he is part of a dialogue with Bats. As such, the cuts are not hindering the pacing.
But you're just trolling anyway.
>>
>>85574797
I don't think you have any idea what pacing means.
>>
His Batman is fantastic. While there were flaws the first arc was great and memorable, and it seems it will only get better.
>>
>>85571378
No not at all. Fuck off.
>>
>>85571378
Its starting to hit its stride
>>
as if the biased opinion of this board about anything related to Batman has any value
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.