[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching? Is it canon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 38

File: star-trek-the-animated-series.jpg (150KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-the-animated-series.jpg
150KB, 1440x900px
Is the Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching?

Is it canon?
>>
>>85563201
Who gives a shit if its canon, good stuff is good. You read Elseworld stories don't you?

Solid writing, cancerous animation
>>
>Is it canon?

More or less. For what its worth, the reboot lifts some dialogue from an episode.
>>
It's worth a look, yeah.

As far as canon goes, it's all non-canon EXCEPT the episode "Yesteryear". A lot of Spock's backstory was developed in that episode.
>>
>>85563201
Parts of it are canon because they've been mentioned in other shows like Enterprise, but not the entire show is canon.

I like it, it's a lot like a radio drama.
>>
>>85563201
>Is the Star Trek: The Animated Series worth watching?
Yes

It's ridiculous and really fun

>Is it canon?
I think so? The episode Yesteryear at the very least is
>>
Wished they brought some of the new TAS cast into the NuTrek verse by now.
>>
File: 1425091087406.png (204KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1425091087406.png
204KB, 707x1000px
>>85563201
Worth watching? Yes. Canon? Sort of. Several key aspects of the canon were spelled out in TAS, like Kirk's middle name, Spock's back-story, etc. Highly imaginative plots from some of the best sci-fi writers of the era, like Larry Niven. Also, it's the only Trek series with half-hour episodes, so they're punchier, faster paced. As for the cheap animation, well, it's by Filmation (the same guys who did He-Man), so it's a classy and stylised kind of cheap animation.

TAS is honestly and unironically my favourite Trek series.
>>
>>85565163
what on earth is that picture
>>
>>85565898

What's wrong with it?
>>
>>85565163

Wasn't someone in charge of it color blind?
>>
>>85563201

Yeah, I guess, if you enjoy TOS. It's basically condensed episodes of TOS in poorly animated Filmation form, with all the variable quality of TOS writing.

>Is it canon?
Nothing is canon anymore after JJ Trek.
But more or less, yes.
There's important Spock/Vulcan stuff in one episode that informs a lot of the Vulcan stuff from the movies and beyond.
>>
>>85564302
They should replace Chekov with Erichs in the next movie.
And have him blow up a fucking asshole car with shitty brakes.
>>
>>85563277
TNG isn't a reboot. It's a direct sequel.
>>
>>85563201
There's only like 3 songs. There's a tense song, a action-y song, and a happy song. It gets unbearable later on in the series.
>>
>>85568404
It can be both.
>>
>>85568685
No, it can't, its a sequel you retard.
>>
>>85568721
The new movies actually are both because of time travel.
>>85568685
But TNG is not.
>>
>>85568685

It's not though. The Abrams movies are both. TNG is just a sequel.
>>
>>85568721
A reboot can absolutely be a sequel.
>>
>>85570612
Fucking fieldfag visually polluting the thread again.
>>85571654
It chronologically happens after the original serie, so no, not a reboot. Williams' movies qualify as a reboot, though.
>>

Some of the episodes are made by the same writers as the old series. Rejected because they were too expensive to film or were just fuking nuts.

It also has more Harcort Fenton Mudd, and Cyrano "I have a tribble to sell you" Jones.
>>
If you love cat girls, certainly

>TFW You were born too early to travel the stars and fuck ayyliens
>>
>>85571730
And Walter Koenig wrote an episode for some reason
>>
>>85571702
Reboots don't have to reset the timeline or story.
>>
>>85563201
Definitely worth watching.

Canon? Roddenberry always said no but since he's been gone it has been slowly filtered into continuity.
>>
File: Retcon THIS, you nerds.jpg (62KB, 781x615px) Image search: [Google]
Retcon THIS, you nerds.jpg
62KB, 781x615px
Try and STOP it from being canon, you miserable faggots

Did anyone else here Captain Edison's line as fighting in "the Romulan and Kzinti Wars" and geeked out, only to be told "Naw man he said Xindi"? Cuz I'd rather TAS be canon than Enterprise any day.
>>
>>85563201
You can essentially call it the final two years of the five year voyage.
>>
File: 1390733743622.jpg (673KB, 2569x1449px) Image search: [Google]
1390733743622.jpg
673KB, 2569x1449px
>>85572944
Into Darkness referenced that one episode of Enterprise when Phlox had a cure for a plague and decided not to save them because the other humanoid species on the planet might one day evolve to be smart enough for space travel.
>>
>>85572944
I don't see why it can't be canon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p03jG546GQc
>>
>>85567145
>Nothing is canon anymore after JJ Trek

Branching timelines anon. Reboot is its own universe.
>>
>>85563201
>Is it canon?

Let's see...

>5 Year Mission

>Original Series = 3 seasons/years
>Animated Series = 2 seasons/years

>5 Year Mission Complete

I don't see a problem.
>>
>>85573019

>Andoria Prime

What. Why Prime?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-07-30-11h22m39s519.png (445KB, 768x578px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-30-11h22m39s519.png
445KB, 768x578px
Is it canon? Yes, and no, really.

Gene Roddenberry was promised 5 seasons and he got far less than that. He wasn't satisfied with a lot of the show and he always was of the mind that canon shouldn't interfere with a good story plot. He declared most of the show not canon because it didn't live up to what he wanted it to be.

For good reason, there's an episode of Spock summoning Satan and declaring that magic is logical. A lot of the episodes weren't very creative either and just were rehashes of TOS episodes as well.

However the episode of Spock time-traveling back to rescue his child self is pretty much considered canon by fans and Star Trek writers later. The new movies playup up how Spock was teased as a kid, as the episode showed, with Sarek disappointed that Spock got provoked, not that his son was bullied.

The kind animal Spock kept as a pet was shown in Enterprise where it tried to kill Archer and Tu'pal. Tu'pal mentioned she had one as a pet when she was young and they're safe as long as you feed them on time.

The episode had Spock messing with time and creating a time paradox where he died as a child and the first officer of the ship was an Andorian who was hostile to Vulcans. That got picked up and played up in Enterprise.

The episode was written by DC Fontana as well.

So yeah, TAS is both canon and not canon because later writers picked bits and pieces of it they liked and ran with it.

Is it worth watching? Yes. The major pitfalls for the show is that Filmation did it and cut their usual corners when it came to animation. They were picked because they were the ONLY studio that didn't insist on having a stupid cute animal sidekick OC pushed for the kids.

Most of the original cast except Walter Kronig is back, but they all mailed in their lines, so audio quality is mixed.
>>
>>85563201
It's been considered canon for awhile now it's specifically intended to represent the the fourth and fifth years of the five year mission.
At the very least you owe it to yourself to watch the second episode which may be among the best star trek episodes in the entire franchise, other than that it's about as good as the original series with the same writers and cast although with pretty terrible animation.
>>
>>85575395
>For good reason, there's an episode of Spock summoning Satan and declaring that magic is logical
No they were advanced aliens that had tech that was indistinguishable from magic, Spock admitted he was just rolling with it.
Also it's not like that's out of place with the original series where every other episode involved aliens that were completely indistinguishable from god and had completely inexplicable powers or the bizarre assumptions that some of the less talented writers had spock declare as logical.
>A lot of the episodes weren't very creative either and just were rehashes of TOS episodes as well.
A lot of the TOS episodes were just rehashes of TOS episodes as well.
>and the first officer of the ship was an Andorian who was hostile to Vulcans.
No he wasn't, he was pretty friendly with Spock.
>>
>>85574812
Not to mention the new show is prime timeline
>>
>>85575395

Weren't the cat-people from the Animated Series canonized as an alien species and showed up in the Original Crew movies, too?
>>
>>85577260
Nu Kirk had sex with two cat-people, but I don't remember there being any cat-aliens in the original series movies or any of the live action tv shows.
>>
>>85574971
Why not? It's been common since the days of E. E. "Doc" Smith to have the word "Prime" in a capital/homeworld name. B5 had Centauri Prime, etc.
>>
>>85577298
A cat alien showed up in ST4, and was a lot furrier than the body paint the ones in the reboot.
>>
This is a pretty great parody of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXW4CktofY
>>
>>85577260
>>85577298
>>85577446

Yeah, those were the ones I was thinking of; the cat people from Part 4. They weren't prominent characters and had a lot of facial prosthetics to make them look more alien than cat, but they were deliberate callbacks to the Animated Series.
>>
>>85577387

Because all previous references to Andoria never called it Prime.

Maybe they renamed it to rub the fact they still have their homeworld in the Vulcan's faces.
>>
>>85577730

I can see an aged Shran doing that.
>>
>>85576503
He did mention that his people dislike Vulcans. I bet if it had the time of a full original series episode we would have seen him being hostile to Spock for a bit before learning what had happened to him.
>>
>>85577730

That shit always seemed weird to me in trek. All these species with their homeworld named after the species......

>Vulcans come from Vulcan
>Ferengi come from Ferenganar
>Cardasians come from Cardasia
>Romulans come from Romulus
>Bajorans come from Bajor

>hur dur dur, humans come from Earth
>>
>>85578219
Universal translator, anon. I bet whenever humans introduce themselves it sounds like "Terrans from Terra" to the ayys.
>>
>>85578219

Huh. Wonder where the Borg are from.
>>
>>85578219
In Stargate don't most aliens refer to Earth as the Tauri Homeworld? Which is odd, because they refer to all the other planets by names
>>
If this episode is canon there's a giant clone of Spock hanging out somewhere
>>
>>85578596
I want it to be canon

There's just a second, 20ft tall Spock they left on some random planet
>>
>>85578321
Depends on how that shakes out. Star Trek has about four different origins for the Borg.
>>
>>85578810

Heh, I haven't really kept up on the varying theories, the only one I remember was the one that connected them with V'ger.
>>
>>85574957

This has always been how I understood things.
>>
File: 413414-wc3_21.jpg (105KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
413414-wc3_21.jpg
105KB, 640x480px
>>85577446
I miss big practical effects for aliens.
>>
>>85563201
Just saw a few clips on youtube to see how it is. It's actually super comfy.
>>
>>85568404
>>85571654
It's neither, because a sequel has the same characters as the first, but TNG is set like a century later - it is an "indirect sequel".

The only bits of TNG that are direct sequels are Generations and the episode where Spcck tries to unify Romulus and Vulcan. Saw it a couple of days ago. Prety good.
>>
>>85563201
So what was the story with the fella that looked like ETs Grandpa?
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 450x320px
>>85577298
>Nu Kirk had sex with two cat-people
Oh yeah the two Asians with cgi tails and some light makeup.
Fucking JJ.
>>
>>85579000
Arex? He was Chekov's replacement as navigator since they couldn't afford to keep Walter Koenig
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (19KB, 567x266px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
19KB, 567x266px
>>85577446

There was also a cat alien in Star Trek V, rocking a third breast a year before Total Recall.
>>
It's worth watching for M'Ress' random purring.
>>
>>85578700
>BEHHHHOLD THE DAWNING OF A NEW ERA, SPOCK 2

They should've let Chekov write more episodes
>>
>>85578219
Humans are clearly using the nomenclature version of Imperial units. Fucking terrans.

>>85578321
Borgia?
>>
My favorite episode was the one where they got banned from Argo
>>
>>85578219
Klingons are from Qo'Nos, guess they put all the effort into that weird ass spelling
>>
>>85579415

First it was called Kling, then they decided to call it Kronos, then they decided to call it Qo'noS.
>>
>>85579067
And I guess we get the answer as to whom will replace him in the new films :-(
>>
>>85579480
And then JJ said fuck it and went back to Kronos
>>
>>85563201
This >>85563242
I'll never understand why people were sk butthurt when the Star Wars EU got retconned. Most of it was garbage that cheapened the movies
>>
>>85563201
Nothing after Enterprise is canon except the Abramsverse.

The new series even going to be set just before the Abrams movies.

>>85568404
TNG never happened any more, jerk
>>
Any word on Star Trek Discovery. Is it supposed to be a contemporary of TOS or the new timeline?

Ship design in the SDCC trailer was apparently a placeholder using Ralph McQuarrie's Planet of the Titains sketches.

Which is a shame because the idea of a ship cobbled together from Federation and Klingon parts would have been interesting. Like DS9 and Miles having to get the systems to talk to Federation tech. Always touch and go, until some trap in the alien system was set off.
>>
>>85580064
The new universe is set in the Prime time line, it's 10 years before Kirk's five year mission.
>>
>>85580084
It takes place in the original timeline ten years before TOS
>>
>>85580084
I'm amazed that they're calling it STD. I'm too tired for a pimp kirk std punchline here though.
>>
>>85580644
They're calling it DSC or DISCO
>>
Long as the Female Lead isn't a lunatic like Janeway. Woman has four mass exterminations under her belt I think at last count.
>>
>>85580823
But Janeway being batshit was third only to 7 of 9's ass and captain proton in entertainment value.

I'd rather have them be entertainingly crazy, than say Chakotay boring.
>>
Watching Star Trek Beyond made me want Shohreh Aghdashloo as a captain

That movie was a mixed bag for me (the only thing I really liked was Jaylah) but her character in her small appearances had a real presence
>>
>>85574957
yes
>>
>>85577168
Is it? I didn't thunk anything was official exept the title yet?
>>
File: 1470363050182.jpg (943KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470363050182.jpg
943KB, 1200x1200px
you were born just in time to fuck alien cat girls (male)
>>
>>85581148

There was an interview about a week or two ago, wherein we got the timeline, the gender of the captain and that there would be a confirmedly gay character
>>
>>85581148
They revealed some stuff at SDCC

Prime timeline, ten years before TOS, there's probably an Andorian character, they confirmed a black female character and a gay character, the "lead" character won't be a captain
>>
>>85581183
SPAAAACE BECKY!!!!!

Because knowing whom you fuck (Riker would fuck anything he thought looked good) is top importance to being a starfleet officer.
>>
>>85580384
only because they don't own the rights to the movie designs

the closest it's going to get to the old shows is endless cameos from Dorn and Spiner
>>
>>85563242

It's not animation it's "animation"
>>
>>85581332

A large part of Star Trek has always been making progressive moves, this is in line with how the series has always been
>>
>>85581375
Spiner again playing a Soong
>>
>>85581332
Well considering that the sum of pop culture knowledge about Kirk is that he's a slut I'd say who's fucking who is surprisingly important
>>
>>85581398
Well yea but not on the nose about it and having it be the most important part of their personality.

I'm just concerned with how that sounds like that is their primary purpose to the gay character. Because those are always kinda shit.
>>
>>85581470
That's because pop culture is shallow garbage and not to be payed attention to.
>>
>>85581473

Thats a pretty quick assumption to make considering how sparse the details are
>>
File: 1469788393204.gif (265KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469788393204.gif
265KB, 320x240px
Check this out motherfuckers! Some chuckle head went ahead and made lost episodes.

https://youtu.be/7Q_Po_ZVO70

I thought they were based on scripts that never made production but I don't see that in the descriptions.
>>
>>85581183
>>85581222
Thanks I missed that, good to know.
>>
File: Arex.jpg (52KB, 217x300px) Image search: [Google]
Arex.jpg
52KB, 217x300px
something amazes me that the voice in this show are the real deal and not just sound alikes or someshit
>>
File: MRess.png (167KB, 862x689px) Image search: [Google]
MRess.png
167KB, 862x689px
This is the only type of Star Trek I tolerate.
After it's been edited.
>>
>>85581398
Right, but the current line of progressiveness is actually pretty regressive. MLK vs BLM protestors demanding segregated housing on campus, or Extreme ghostbusters vs the new movie.

>>85581473
Some of them were pretty close. I mean they eventually gave Sulu cool shit to do like fencing topless, and being a negative universe badass jobber, but Chacotay and uhura were pretty thin, and I still can't remember a damm thing Maywether did, and I barely remember Sato at all.

I want them to be entertaining. At LEAST as good as the Riker very special bisexual episode, or that one with the woman in the wheelchair, who dates I think Bashir, and orders klingon food.

>>85581518
If the normie shit is going full retard over these ideas, I'm somehwat dreading them going to full warp speed on trek.

I mean Dax was functionally a trangender two spirit or something close to that. Saying "we have gays now" is almost quaint.
>>
>>85582555
>Saying "we have gays now" is almost quaint.
Maybe, but plain old gays have never happened on a Trek tv show before and not in the movies until like a month ago so I can see why they'd advertise it
>>
>>85582555
>Saying "we have gays now" is almost quaint.

You ever wonder what happened to the convenience stores that thought refrigeration was a fad, or the ones that didn't bother to let potential customers know they had ice-cream and cold drinks at the back of the store?
>>
>>85567032
The director saw pink as light grey, so there's a lot of places where stuff is hot pink when it shouldn't be.
>>
>>85578219
Trek missed out on making an "Ah, humans! From the planet Hum." joke.
>>
>>85582555
That, beings who's gender is pretty much nonexistent. Hermaphrodites that use zhe or similar pronouns way before it became a fashion.

Have a dude that sleeps with dudes or a lady that likes ladies. This is Star Trek what would anyone even care about that since that would be a personal matter.

Though it is notable that they've wanted to for a while but the network has been dodging it for a long time.

Just don't put them in a relationship. That usually means death for at least one of them before the end of the show. Poor Root.
>>
>>85582555

They missed a trick by not saying Sisko and Dax had fucked then heavily implying it was Curzon.
>>
>>85582655
Advertise it? Fine. Feed the hypebeast. But if we discover that the Federation is full of shitlords, or they load up this piles of crap like the half dozen or so Sisko black pride/racial discrimination episodes, I'm going to have to go Kal-e-fe on some bitches.

It just occured to me imagining the Federation's stance on transexuals. Genetic engineering might be banned like for the Augments. Or they might have a perfect surgical or chemical cure. Or they might not give a fuck at all.

But I can't imagine a Very Special trans episode being handled well by the current enviornmnet. I'l love to be proven wrong though.

>>85582893
Thats subtle enough that it probably would have got past the network censors and the FCC
>>
>>85568672
>songs
You mean pieces of music. Songs are sung, pieces are played.
>>
>>85583658
Thank you Mr. Data.
>>
>>85563201
it's a meme show favored by reddit
>>
>>85579315
>Borgia?
>>
>>85563201

Yes it is canon, and original cast too

It being animated gave the creators room to create extravagant alien/planet designs that they couldn't pull off in the show

There's an episode where they become friends with satan
>>
>>85582043

Based Nimoy made it happen. He stuck his neck out for the cast quite a bit over the years.
>>
>>85581389
So like Hanna-Barbera -type stuff?
>>
>>85582043
>>85584470
Hiring more actors would have been just as expensive, but would have lowered the chances of success.

If anybody can be said to have made it happen, it's Roddenberry. Dude was relentless. Never took no for an answer.
>>
Why did the Federation in Star Trek 2009 know about and have info on Romulans but in TOS which would technically take place at a later date they didn't even know what Romulans would look like.
>>
>>85584569
Worse, Filmation.
>>
>>85563201
Serious answer - parts of it have been treated as and therefore have become canon.

Per Gene and now per Paramount/CBS, only the aired live action material is canon (so all those novels and comic books, etc.? Glorified fan fiction.)

It was on Netflix, you can skim a few of the episodes. It has all the defects of the cheap animation of that time frame, but it can be fun times with some weed and some brownies (or as a drinking game with a group of friends).

They did get most of the voice work done by the actual cast.

>>85563242
I wouldn't agree that the writing was solid but yeah, that and the voice work were the two strongest points, the art being the weakest.
>>
File: spock-unicorn.jpg (99KB, 640x820px) Image search: [Google]
spock-unicorn.jpg
99KB, 640x820px
>>85565163
>>85565898
>>85566629
>>
>>85578321
Sweden?
>>
>>85585079
Because JJ is a hack who doesn't care about lore.
>>
>>85578986
Spock and Scotty make early appearances, as do many minor characters. And Kirk shows up in the first movie. It's a sequel.
>>
>>85580064
But it will have happened again eventually in some form, and don't imply otherwise.
>>
>>85579415
It's a whole, living language now. You better believe they put in effort.
>>
>>85581398
But this isn't progressive. They've had main characters be gay/bi/Riker sexual abundantly already. It's a step backward, if anything. They should have a disabled, atheist or alien captain instead.
>>
>>85583056
Bashir had no qualms about changing Quark's sex for shits and giggles, no questions asked. I'll bet it's no big deal at all.
>>
>>85581470
He didn't used to be a slut. He just had a very high stress job.
>>
File: spock-satan.1339411174254.gif (954KB, 330x220px) Image search: [Google]
spock-satan.1339411174254.gif
954KB, 330x220px
>>85576503
>No they were advanced aliens that had tech that was indistinguishable from magic
No, they were in a different universe with different physical laws where magic actually worked. He said as much. Actually watch the damn show.
>>
>>85577446
Which kind of cat alien was it? There were at least 2 in TAS. One had psychics and non-sentient females, the other was just sexy catgirls.
>>
File: KifAndZapp.jpg (70KB, 997x759px) Image search: [Google]
KifAndZapp.jpg
70KB, 997x759px
>>85577513
It's been done to death.
>>
File: scottie.png (836KB, 731x558px) Image search: [Google]
scottie.png
836KB, 731x558px
>>85578968
It was on Netflix. Is it not anymore?
>>
File: star-trek-hentai.1411075447593.gif (437KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-hentai.1411075447593.gif
437KB, 250x188px
>>85577513
It's more than a parody. It's an abridged.
>>
>>85585870
and Bones has a cameo in the pilot
>>
>>85585870

Bones is in the very first episode, too.
>>
File: spock1.1177481439659.jpg (60KB, 481x361px) Image search: [Google]
spock1.1177481439659.jpg
60KB, 481x361px
>>85585368
Let's not get too silly.
>>
>>85586539
>>85577446

There are many kinds of cat aliens, apparently.
>>
File: catgirls.1393656520691.jpg (1MB, 880x2580px) Image search: [Google]
catgirls.1393656520691.jpg
1MB, 880x2580px
>>85586993
That's a whole other thread.
>>
File: tumblr_lnl0edXXjB1qbwmdbo1_500.jpg (155KB, 500x652px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lnl0edXXjB1qbwmdbo1_500.jpg
155KB, 500x652px
>>85585368
I don't see anything wrong here
>>
File: 1432359490172.star_wars_rape.jpg (307KB, 876x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1432359490172.star_wars_rape.jpg
307KB, 876x1079px
>>85587195
I had forgotten this, but isn't the earliest recorded English slash fiction about Star Trek? Kirk/Bones or something.
>>
>>85587271
I think the first Trek slash fanfic was a little vague snippet about Kirk and Spock

it was basically the fandom that spawned slash as a thing
>>
>>85587271

Kirk and Spock gave it the name, Slash Fiction, but I'm sure people were writing Romeo/Mercutio fiction long before.
>>
>>85587471
Back before e-mail they surely didn't share it, though. It would have been penned and hidden away in the floorboards, except possibly at what weren't called cons yet.
>>
File: spock bones tng.jpg (176KB, 800x1206px) Image search: [Google]
spock bones tng.jpg
176KB, 800x1206px
>>85586773
>>85586799
>>
File: theinfinitevulcan_125.jpg (114KB, 712x530px) Image search: [Google]
theinfinitevulcan_125.jpg
114KB, 712x530px
>>85578700
>>85578596
>it ain't gonna suck itself
>>
>>85573019
Into Darkness referenced one of the worst episodes of Enterprise, one that might be even worse than the finale? Seriously, evolution does not fucking work that way.
>>
>>85577730
>Because all previous references to Andoria never called it Prime.
Prior to Enterprise it was never called Andoria either, it was just Andor.

When they realize their mistake during Enterprise, they retconned it to Andor being a gas giant and Andoria being its moon that the Andorians live on.
>>
>>85575395
So? Spock's half-brother summons "God" and that movie, as horrible as it is, is considered canon.
>>
>>85579856
Jaylah. She will replace Chekov after her tour in Engineering, where she annoys and turns Scotty on simultaneously.
>>
>>85563242
>>85580012
Are you guys autistic, or can you just not read? Nobody asked if you care for it to be canon, they asked if it was canon.
>>
>>85587602
And then the the Shatner books he got a exosuit and Kirk Spock and Bones went on old man adventures. Kirk destroyed the Borg and Bones regenerated a couple of times along with Kirk.
>>
>>85589017
I can dig it.
>>
Didn't Glen Keane work on this show?
>>
I'm a bit confused here. I've seen some people in this thread say that TNG isnt canon anymore.
I don't think thats true at all. Is there some information that was released that said otherwise?
>>
>>85589162
I'm so glad they decided to publish Shatner's fanfic
>>
>>85589314
No, they're just casuals who can't accept that they made some movies of an alternate universe that is explicitly labeled as such
>>
>>85589342
Some people are just too dumb to understand that, even though alternate universes have been part of Star Trek since forever.
>>
>>85563201
>space furry and ET prominently behind Kirk
>Is it canon?
Of course not you fucking idiot.
>>
>>85579338
I wonder why ... ?
>>
>>85586505
Better quality re-cap when
>>
>>85590201
I think TAS is getting put on bluray for the first time this year

I hope there are webms
>>
>>85586122
I forgot about that.

If it's easy and nobody gives a fuck, then they can't really go off about discrimination. And they can't have that.
>>85590226
How can you NOT have webms of satan, giant spock harvey mudd, and Uhurra taking the Conn and leading an all female away team?
>>
>>85563201
Some are OK and where actually recycled into TNG episodes later on.

>Is it canon?
Not really, although the cat girl later shows up again in the DC comics published in the 80's.
>>
>>85591572
Yesteryear is a good episode but I think my favorite is the one with Satan
>>
>>85591676
TAS Satan was a bro. He should have joined the crew.
>>
>>85563201
Shows great, Spocks episode (Maybe 2 or 3) is 10/10.
>>
>>85589317
He had a whole series of Kirk nearly dying and then coming back from the dead to have adventures and save the Federation.
>>
File: startreck-rule-34.1218668596222.jpg (86KB, 298x484px) Image search: [Google]
startreck-rule-34.1218668596222.jpg
86KB, 298x484px
>>85591572
There's always the Ferengi views on women to rehash.
>>
>>85592027
I am not surprised

Also I think he wrote one where Spock and Kirk meet at Starfleet Academy and do stuff. Literally high school AU fanfic
>>
File: 2012-07-11_Arex.jpg (373KB, 1200x817px) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-11_Arex.jpg
373KB, 1200x817px
>>85589428

Arex is cool, faggot!

I bet you like star wars!
>>
>>85592169
I did like the story of Punished Nog they did during the series. We need to know more about the wonders of Ferengi society and their naked women
>>
File: image.gif (941KB, 330x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
941KB, 330x220px
Totally canon.
>>
I don't remember much from the cartoon, but I feel like there was some lore about Spock's childhood in there, which is referenced in an episode of Next Gen.
>>
File: MRess-Scott.jpg (35KB, 596x552px) Image search: [Google]
MRess-Scott.jpg
35KB, 596x552px
>>85591629

Mress actually appeared in some novels as well.

I think MRess should be canon just because she laid Scotty, and that's important.
>>
>>85589317

I liked techwars myself.
>>
>>85571702
Just because something happens after something else doesn't mean it's not reviving interest and creating new content. Reboots can be sequels. These are mutually exclusive concepts.
>>
File: damned gays.png (156KB, 864x540px) Image search: [Google]
damned gays.png
156KB, 864x540px
>>85581183
Don't forget about backlash over this *PC Bullshit*
>>
>>85592169
They already had like 6 episodes on that. WHile they were good to fucking awesome, you can only ride that warhorse so much.
>>
>>85578321

We got a glimpse of the Borg origin planet in TMP

THats right. The Borg were the machine race that upgraded V'Ger
>>
>>85563201
>worth watching?
no
>canon?
no

also there is no canon anymore, not since 2009

if you're the right kind of person you'll watch it anyway though
>>
>>85594521
>doesn't mean it's not reviving interest and creating new content.
A reboot is to cut everything and start from scratch, just like the electronic reboot process the name comes from. You're defining a revival.
>>
>>85578219
Earthers come from Earth.

This term was used in one original series episode and then forgotten.
>>
>>85592169
Is this the one where the Bajorans set up concentration camps for non-Bajorans and sent Quark to Bajoran Auschwitz?

Because that novel (by Armin Shimerman) was amazing.
>>
>>85587271
It was Kirk/Spock, but yes.

Hell, I read a Spy Magazine article about the whole thing back in the 90s when it was still relatively new. It was pretty hilarious to a then-teenage me. The article, that is. I don't think I've ever actually read the fic.
>>
File: 506-Renard_woged.png (790KB, 805x756px) Image search: [Google]
506-Renard_woged.png
790KB, 805x756px
>>85595827
>Caring about debated canon.

Let me break that for you: 90% of the time a series canon is determined by a fat guy that takes showers 'as needed.'
>>
>>85580064
>TNG
But TNG was the only series actually worth watching.
Picard for lyfe.

>>85582425
Why is M'ress swearing in polish?
>>
>>85573019
it's going a bit far to call those references, like suggesting anything seen on-screen in an Okudagram is canon

>>85585903
not anything like the form it did happen in

canonically the differences in the new movies are due to the dissemination of future technologies spread by the Borg from that one episode of Enterprise and changes made by the Temporal Cold War

you're correct to call it a paradox (the original series must have existed in order to give rise to the now current timeline/s) but it's not a predestination paradox; the original timeline still ends up orphaned

frankly all you're really losing is a lot of goofy technobabble and about five hours of Wesley being told to shut up, so it's not a problem; Star Trek shouldn't be about lore and canon, it should be about telling thoughtful stories that get you to reconsider your position on whatever those stories are about, even if you don't ultimately change your position

ie it is a drama
>>
File: Trapped outside my ship.jpg (412KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Trapped outside my ship.jpg
412KB, 1920x1080px
>>85577513
>The space window

How very right he is.
>>
>>85596907
only ever really liked Voyager, found Enterprise passable

DS9 took itself too seriously and TNG was a bad series we all gave a pass because it was new Star Trek that wasn't bad movies (except for all those bad movies it later made)

First Contact was good, in a hokey, over-acted sort of way
>>
File: cat_butt.jpg (683KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cat_butt.jpg
683KB, 667x1000px
>>85586993
Either that or they're all Khajit.
>>
>>85596907
>Why is M'ress swearing in polish?
She's been hanging out around the captain too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_m55PkrcDE
>>
>>85593019
They used it as part of nuTrek Spock's background too
>>
>>85586993
As many cat aliens as primate aliens?
>>
>>85596981
Voyager had good episodes, but was mostly terrible. TOS and TNG are the exemplars that other series must live up to. DS9 was ok from season 3 on. Enterprise is retarded shit.
>>
File: 1405764680573.gif (793KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1405764680573.gif
793KB, 320x240px
>>
>>85597980
There are barely any primate aliens in Star Trek. Humans and the ones from Enterprise are about it.
>>
File: 1454364858462.jpg (33KB, 525x469px) Image search: [Google]
1454364858462.jpg
33KB, 525x469px
>>85592764
>Claims to be tos fan
>Celebrates the injection of OC
>>
>>85597026
>The Enterprise encounters a Dwemer ruin on a planet with no apparent remaining sentient life.
>It contains an Elder Scroll.
>Spock tries to read it.
>They all lose their minds and teleport to the surface.
>Their descendants populate Nim.
>>
>>85593043

>Scotty had sex with a space cat woman

Further evidence as to why Scotty is the best fucking character from TOS.

For more information on the subject of Scotty being awesome, see the classic TNG episode "Relics".
>>
>>85585079
Because Nero was a Romulan
>>
File: A_21_SerpentsTooth.jpg (314KB, 1024x729px) Image search: [Google]
A_21_SerpentsTooth.jpg
314KB, 1024x729px
>>85563201
Does anyone here read Planet of Hats? They're covering the Animated Series right now.
>>
Scotty, bump me up!
>>
File: A_19_ThePracticalJoker.jpg (297KB, 1024x729px) Image search: [Google]
A_19_ThePracticalJoker.jpg
297KB, 1024x729px
>>85599044

Kek
>>
>>85585319
>so all those novels and comic books, etc.? Glorified fan fiction.
Whilst I don't 100% agree with this decision (seriously, everyone go read Peter David's Star Trek comics) I can at least sympathise. At the risk of starting yet another fandom war, anybody remember the hot mess the Star Wars Expanded Universe was in before Disney bought out Lucasfilm? Trek's method may be harsher, but it's a hell of a lot simpler...
>>
File: Garak.jpg (34KB, 391x299px) Image search: [Google]
Garak.jpg
34KB, 391x299px
I remember watching a TV special where the cast of TNG were laughing about how much slash fiction they got in the mail every week.

Turbo autists would write out entire scripts for episodes about characters falling in love and then in great detail describe how they have sex, and then beg them to make it into a real episode.

They received hundreds and hundreds of all sorts of crazy ass fan scripts apparently.

>MFW the amount of garak slash fiction scripts the crew got while DS9 was filming
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.