[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When the wind blows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpg (33KB, 260x383px) Image search: [Google]
When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpg
33KB, 260x383px
I'll be honest this was one of the few cartoons to make me cry
>>
The Graphic Novel is better
>>
>>85542693
I believe I've seen this as a kid but I'm not completely sure, are they dead at the end?
>>
>>85542693
I saw this once and I know I'm never going to watch it again. Not that it was bad, exactly the opposite. It just hurt too much to see what these characters were going through and sadness doesn't even begin to describe what I felt at the end.
I'm glad I saw it but given the choice I'd rather not feel that way willingly.
>>
>>85542693
>>85543569
Read that in the school library as a kid, really gave me nightmares.

Technically they didn't die, but they were approaching radiation death by the end of the book.

Watching cuddly cartoon character die a slow and painfully detailed death was terrifying for a kid
>>
>>85543686
Near the end when they were forgetting how to pray was heart wrenching
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBMZicJjc4
>>
I watched it recently with my dad, and something bugging me was these people were kids during WWII, so they were at most ten years older than my old man. And, it's set in the 80s... so they should, if anything, be in their early fifties or sixties at the most... why were they so goddamn senile and idiotic? They weren't old enough to be so out of it.
>>
Watched it when I saw Roger Waters and David Bowie were in the soundtrack. It was good, but I did have a problem with how much the couple forgot about all the instructions the husband had read in the days prior.
>>
>>85545575
>>85545712

wasn't it implied that the radiation was fucking with their memory too? Or does radiation not do that?
>>
"The cake will be burned!"
>>
>>85545575
>>85545712
Brain cells don't reproduce, so I'm fairly sure that seeing that they're getting radiation doses strong enough to cause death relatively soon, it's a symptom of the radiation eroding their brains

>Acute radiation syndrome (ARS), also known as radiation poisoning, radiation sickness or radiation toxicity, is a collection of health effects that are present within 24 hours of exposure to high amounts of ionizing radiation. The radiation causes cellular degradation due to damage to DNA and other key molecular structures within the cells in various tissues. This destruction, particularly because it affects the ability of cells to divide normally, in turn causes the symptoms. The symptoms can begin within one or two hours and may last for several months.
>Relatively larger doses can result in neurological effects and rapid death.

>Classically acute radiation syndrome is divided into three main presentations: hematopoietic, gastrointestinal, and neurological/vascular.
>Neurovascular. This syndrome typically occurs at absorbed doses greater than 30 Gy (3000 rad), though it may occur at 10 Gy (1000 rad).[1] It presents with neurological symptoms such as dizziness, headache, or decreased level of consciousness, occurring within minutes to a few hours, and with an absence of vomiting. It is invariably fatal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_radiation_syndrome
>>
>>85542693
I didn't think I would be too affected by this movie but it really ended up fucking with me. I kept expecting them to die but the movie just kept going on and on forcing me to watch them suffer.
>>
"Come back, you stupid bitch, and get in the shelter!"
>>
>>85545740

The living cells are amazingly tolerant to radiation, it "just" destroys the DNA, especially the chromosomes, meaning the cell connot reproduce anymore. SO the next time it woulddie and normally replaced by a new copy it cannot and THAT is when the body starts to fall apart. Brain cells however are long living, they are only replaced in a very tiny amount over life (<1%) so they never rapidly die whichis why radiation sickness never really affects the memory and nervous system.
>>
Is this the same deal as Grave of The Fireflies?
>>
It was sad and all but I hate it when people use it as an argument against having nuclear weapons
>>
>>85545712
It isn't necessarily that they forgot. They may have just thought the instructions weren't as important as they were.
A big part of the story is that these people grew up dealing with World War Two bombings and expected the new ones to be comparable to that.
>>
Did someone say David Bowie?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.