[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Healers in superhero comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Why are there no healers in superhero comics?

In-continuity it just seems weird how rare a powerset it is, and from a writer's standpoint it'd enable much more grimdark action sequences for arms to be pulled off only to be repaired next issue.
>>
File: fake elixir.png (462KB, 371x676px) Image search: [Google]
fake elixir.png
462KB, 371x676px
>>85516901
>>
>>85516901
Much like resurrection, the idea that "who cares if you got your arm ripped off, Healbot will just make it grow back tomorrow" lowers the stakes by subtracting consequences.

Granted, everyone seems to recover from the ridiculous bloodsheed in Invincible anyway, but at least they're out of action for so long that Kirkman mainly uses it as an excuse to do a timeskip.
>>
I like this thought, the only problem I could see with having healers is that they'd likely go OoM at the worst times. Anyone have a Mage table?
>>
>>85516901
Couldn't Angel heal people for a while? There was also that gold X-men for a while.
>>
>>85516955
I am going to break you, MMO nerd.
>>
My oddest bit of comicbook healing trivia is that the U-Foe member Vapor, who normally turns into offensive gases such as toxins or acids, can also turn into anesthetic gas and has done so to ease the pain of her wounded teammates.
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 208x242px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 208x242px
>>85516901
Because it lowers the stakes if nobody can be seriously injured and die from it. It's already bad enough that the possibility of a protagonist dying is almost zero, if you add that they can get healed at any time there's almsot no conflict.

What you could do is give the healer limitations like they can't heal themselves or have a limited range.
>>
>>85516901

There was the morlock actually named Healer. I'm not sure, do morlocks exist as a thing anymore or is that a bygone relic of late-70s, early-80s NYC decay?

The number of healers seems to have gone up in the past decade or so when they were darn near nonexistent for the longest time.
>>
File: 221067-48649-saint-anna.jpg (14KB, 144x400px) Image search: [Google]
221067-48649-saint-anna.jpg
14KB, 144x400px
My favorite obscure healer.
>>85516968
>Couldn't Angel heal people for a while?
Yep. Angel blood.
>There was also that gold X-men for a while.
Yep, Elixir. Died, came back, died.
>>85517083
Morlocks are still around, I think Uncanny X-Men had them.
>>
>>85516933
L...Lucio?
>>
>>85516985
You're welcome to try, pathetic normie. You will fail in your endeavor
>>
File: Red_Hood_(Jason_Todd).jpg (37KB, 250x330px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Hood_(Jason_Todd).jpg
37KB, 250x330px
>>85517048
I don't see how a healer lowers the stakes any more than the fact that no one ever dies and stays dead
>>
File: Chiyo_Shuuzenji_Full_Body[1].png (22KB, 250x389px) Image search: [Google]
Chiyo_Shuuzenji_Full_Body[1].png
22KB, 250x389px
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 640x331px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 640x331px
Raven was a healer for awhile. Touching her caused immense pain to her, but healed all your ailments.

So some AIDs and leprosy-addled tribals tied her to a post and used her abilities one by one, thinking she was the Virgin Mary reborn, until it drove her back to Trigon again.

She gains and loses healing powers, and exorcism powers, and the ability to squeeze 10 years of PTSD counseling into a hand on the cheek, as the plot demands. Sometimes it almost kills her, other teams its just something she does after fights.
>>
Could Dagger (from Cloak & Dagger) heal sometimes? Seem to recall her using her white light or positive energy or whatever it was for healing sometimes.

(btw, what is the source of Dagger's power? Cloak is tied to the Darkforce dimension, right, is Dagger tied to some Lightforce dimension we never hear about?)

Is Elixir still dead in the X-books?
>>
>>85517649
>what is senzu beans
>>
Sentry once resurrected his wife by laying hands tho
>>
>>85516901
because comic books aren't video games, good characters aren't written into architectural MMO roles based on their powers, healing isn't a cool power, it's just a lazy storytelling device
>>
>>85521396
In the big two everyone has some form of healing factor anyway, they survive and recover from deadly wounds all the damn time, which is pretty lazy
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.