[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to read comics for a beginner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Hey /co/ I want to start reading comics and decided to start with spider-man. Thing is im a little confused with how to actually read comics, i had a look at a wiki and it seems there is the main story Amazing Spider-Man, but there are tie ins, annuals, team-ups, alternate versions like spider island and a whole heap of things that are kind of going over my head.
Would any kind anons mind explaining what those are and if they are important to the main story or can i just read Amazing spider-man and completely ignore team-ups, tie-ins etc?
>>
>>85507862
On Amazing Spider-Man just read anything from the 60's to the early 90's, after that things start to go down hill. If it's a bit too campy for you at the start you can start in the late 70s. If you want to be introduced to the concept of the shared Marvel Universe and want to stay up to date I recommend Vision, Uncanny Avengers, and Spider-Man/Deadpool.
>>
>>85507862
start with a one-shot. move onto a specific arcs that people like that you think have elements that will appeal to you. there is no such thing as true continuity. writers and artists change every few years or months. Each tell their own story that will generally be forgotten by the others.

If you want a specific arc, I'd suggest Kraven's Last Hunt.
>>
>>85507862
Superhero comics do not have coherent "stories". They just go on forever and have the occasional story that can be read on its own.

For Spider-Man just read whatever. Just don't expect it to make any sense because it won't.
>>
>>85507862
I like to read the words and look at the pictures. Read the up pictures first and then the down pictures. Read the words on the up pictures first and then read the words on the down pictures.
>>
Look at the letters that make up these things called words
>>
>>85507862
I saw your thread on /b/ look there
>>
>>85507862
You're safe up until Captain Stacy's death, so go crazy.
>>
>>85507862
Start from the beginning, stop at Clone Wars, there is nothing redeemable past that. If you're looking for something that's less of an investment then Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is a good read.
>>
Read Ultimate Spider man, it's all his most famous stories in a more modern condensed way.

The old comics have aged horribly, you'll hate them as a noob.
>>
>>85509204
>The old comics have aged horribly

They've aged better than any of the newer ones.
>>
Buy this...

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01-NEW-PTG/NOV150933
>>
>>85507862
Why would you decide to start with Spider-Man? Just curious on how you'd reach a decision like that.
>>
>>85510305
Because he's arguably the most famous hero, his comics are generally fun and you don't have to read his 80 sidekicks comics to get the story, you pretentious fuck
>>
>>85510305
>>85512689
purely because i remember growing up watching the animated series in the morning as a kid
>>
>>85507862
Pick up an issue of something, did you like it? Yes: Find out when the current arc or run started, work your way from there. No: pick up another book.

How is that complicated?
>>
>>85514594
Because there's at least four books that could star Spider-Man out right now.
Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, "Spider-Man", and Spidey.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.