[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Dated 2000s References/Series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 272
Thread images: 48

We can all look at Jem and think "That's so 80s" or look at Hey Arnold and go "That's so 90s". What are some 2000s series that are period pieces, that are certainly products of their time?

Kim Possible is one that comes to mind. The fashion and technology is very 2000s - 2004. Plus, I'm 20 and I barely even know what pagers are. I only remember them from when I was very young. I don't think Kim ever even used a pager in the cartoon.
>>
>>85491212
isn't the kimmunicator basically a pager?
>>
The Nutshack
Loonatics Unleashed
>>
adventure time is the most early 10's thing ever
>>
The Proud Family is pretty much "Black American Culture Circa 2002: The Animation". It even had a Napster episode, months after Napster died.
>>
6teen easily
>>
Everything that was anime-esque
>>
>>85491239
pagers are 80s

smartphones are 00s

>>85491278
Napster is still going; Napster as a dirty word was OK right after they lost their big case because there was no way they could sue, so you could tell a file-sharing story without worrying about making up ridiculous shit, and it's not like Napster was even relevant as a file sharing program by then
>>
File: not rugrats.jpg (114KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
not rugrats.jpg
114KB, 720x544px
The Fairly Oddparents is both a 2000s period piece and a 2010s period piece.

Early episodes like the Tron parody and Channel Chasers are very 2000s. Just look at the shows in CC: Rugrats, Blue's Clues, Dragon Ball.... Newer episodes are very 2010s dated. I saw a few of the Chloe episodes and I doubt duckfaces and smartphone games will be relevant in ten years.
>>
>>85491251

How so? Earth is nit even the same, I even get weirded out when they get cars to work.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
Any early 2000s show that parodied The Matrix, even Conkers Bad Fur Day referenced it
>>
>>85491568
>Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Hunger Games, etc are super popular in like 2010-2013
>Millennial nerds who got picked on for liking nerdy things strike back and start finding people on the internet like them
>Ending of the "internet is for hipsters and nerds lol secret club" mentality, but still kind of there, most of these kids browse 9Gag
>Nerdy shit becomes pop culture, abstract,out there humour becomes popular
>After a few years people get bored of it, millennials are growing up
>They get lazy and don't want to actually have to read/watch things to be fans
>Drop the nerd shit and "a true fan" shit
>Eventually it dilutes into pretty much saying it's okay to be stupid
>Raunchier rap becomes pop music
>Plain clothes become popular as opposed to graphic tees
>There's a sense of sameness with normies
Tl;Dr
Pop Culture of 2010-2013: Nerdy, colourful, retro, a tad elitist but not much, comfy as shit. Popular shows are shit like Doctor Who and Merlin.
Pop Culture of 2014-present: More "adult" for lack of a better term, quiet, "it's okay to be dumb" mentality, emojis, sameness, fetty wap. Popular shows are shit like Law and Order SVU or The Flash
>>
>>85491541
>Channel Chasers
>Early episode
This is either wrong or fak I'm old
>>
>>85491961
Hate to break it to ya, but you're old.
and so am I
>>
>>85491416
>pagers are 80s

I still use pagers at work. But I guess it's a bit different if you're in health.
>>
>>85491903

okay, I'm getting old, because i had to look up what dabbing was the ofher day, and now I don't know what fetty wap is.

Behold, the ravages of age.
>>
>>85491903
It's so fucking weird how the trend in the early 2010s was "BE DIFFERENT N GO AGAINST THE GRAIN" but now it's trendy to be the same as everyone else and you get a "Tf is wrong with this nigga smfh" if you don't follow all the trends.

It's also cool to be petty now, and block/beat people up for not liking the same shit you do
>>
>>85492001
...y-youre right
FoP is almost 20 years old...

That internet episode was pretty early 2000's right?

Also I have a feeling Danny Phantom and America. dragon fit this, but I'm trying to come up with examples.
>>
>>85492017

Doctors are the only people who still use pagers.
>>
File: tumblr_m7epswNJde1rziwwco1_400.gif (610KB, 340x231px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7epswNJde1rziwwco1_400.gif
610KB, 340x231px
>>85492063
>>
>>85492063
Is it that bad now? I haven't really been paying too much attention if so. I guess what in saying is, what is a good example of this shift?
>>
>>85492084
Danny Phantom felt pretty 2000s with the Technus/internet MMO episodes. Even the fitness craze Ember episode felt like it was trying to show off a 2006 fad.
>>
>>85491416
>smartphones are 00s
Smartphones are late 00s, and 10s. They were nowhere near popular until the iPhone was released in '07.

00s was more flip-phones, to be honest.
>>
>>85492260
Hm, well,
2010-2013: The world felt pretty big and diverse. People liked different things, and it was cool to be nerdy. Differences weren't made fun of, either embraced or tolerated. So say you didn't go to college, but had a nice paying job at a call centre or a bank, and travelled a lot, and were genuinely happy. People would be like "Aah shit man that's cool, here's what I'm doing"
2014-Present: If you have a life like that or a PoV that lift isn't so bad, everyone jumps on you like "NIGGA YOU DONT KNOW THE FUCKIN STRUGGLE. IM OUT HERE WORKIN TWO JOBS TRYNA GRADUATE COLLEGE."

Following the crowd also became a good thing.
Everyone just feels so angry and on edge.
>>
>>85492300
This. I had a fucking flip phone until this time last year.
>>
As Told By Ginger is glaringly early 2000s. It and Mean Girls are all about popularity yet you never see any mentions of the internet.

>>85492377

I still don't see a use for smartphones. I only need a phone to talk to people. I've thought about updating so I can play Subway Surfers and Pokemon Go though.
>>
>>85492369
>>85492063
It's amazing how in less than four years, there was a change in the zeitgeist that shows all the markings of a generational gap, and yet obviously isn't.

It's almost the same with people born early 90s and those born mid-90s. It's usually the latter group who are more into all this Diversity™ crap, for instance.
>>
>>85492369
2010-2013: Social Media as we know it was new
2014-present: Social Media is everywhere and people learned people suck, and so all dreams of Diversity and Globalism died quickly.

Basically, the Internet forced mankind to look at itself in its entirety for the first time in history. Mankind didn't like what it saw.
>>
>>85492502
I was born in '98 (18 don't worry), and when the "nerd shit is cool lol rainbows and skinny jeans" thing happened, I thought I was in the clear.

I never really kept up with trends, so it was weird going to school junior and senior year and seeing it change form that to, "Everyone is good friends with each other, everyone is exactly the same, likes the same music, everyone wears joggers and plain black t-shirts". It was weird, anon.

It seems like everyone born in the early 90s/late 80s still has the "I'm gonna do my life my way and if you do it differently that's cool man. Need any help?" And people born in the late 90s are like "IM OUT HERE WORKIN TWO JOBS BAKA NIGGA"
>>
>>85492610
This desu. Social media back then was in a golden stage. Not too little, not too much. You could still go about your day without putting every second on your snapchat story. Now, I see snapchat stories of girls at restaurants, and all of their friends are just on their phones, and no one is phased by it.

The "Cool until proven a cunt" mentality changed into "Don't trust you unless you can do something for me". It's like everyone tried to become a seasoned action hero.
>>
>>85492611
>Literal teenager trying to be insightful about the human condition

Come on, man.
>>
>>85492063
Remember back in the 90s when if you were a grown adult with too much free time then SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH YOUR LIFE
>>
>>85492476
Smartphones basically have the portability of a laptop while combining the features of things like a watch, a GPS, a phone, a calculator, etc.

Their biggest use is rendering numerous other things obsolete, because it's stupid to have like 40 other devices doing different things when you can have an omnibox that does all of those things better.
>>
>>85492724
Cut the kid a slack. At least he can witness youth's current first hand. I have trouble with all this new slang like lit, bae or gub.
>>
>>85492747
For all the shit Honest Trailers gets, that bit in their Fight Club vid was spot on.
>>
>>85492094

You guessed my job then. But we've got some nurses with pagers too.
>>
>>85491416
>pagers are 80s

And this is how I know you're a younger millenial rather than an older millenial like you're pretending to be.

Pagers were popular all the way up to the mid nineties faggot.
>>
>>85492611
I was born in 91 and I've definitely noticed this. I want to know what caused this all to change. Some people have posed that it has to do with how old you when 9/11 happened, but thats US centric so I'm not sure.

The thing that bothers me most about it all is that it's cool to be angry and a passive aggressive dick now. Why?
>>
The Boindocks comes to mind as well.

>>85492796

I don't need all that. If I want a calculator, I'll bring a calculator.
>>
>>85492978
Overreaction became the natural response to everything. Nihilistic, "I don't give a fuck" "bad bitch" attitude took over.

One of the lyrics from Trap Queen is literally "IF U FUCK WIT MA BITCH U GON TAKE 2 TO THE HEAD"
>>
File: Rocket_Power.jpg (39KB, 400x361px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket_Power.jpg
39KB, 400x361px
Even though it came out in the '00s, Rocket Power is basically a '90s wet dream.
EXTREME!
>>
>>85493038
I never watched the biondocks is it like smash it sam or avator:the last gasbender?
>>
>>85493038
I think his point is that you'll never actually know when you might need a calculator, GPS, watch, flashlight, etc 40 other devices, so you might as well just bring one tiny one that does it all.

Shit have a dumbphone and I still pull it out all the time because I suddenly needed a calculator for some reason.
>>
Holy shit you Leddit "le wrong generation" faggots need a fucking life.

>>85491212
Getting back on topic, these answers are really shitty.

Let me put it this way. If a kid born today asked you in 18 years what life and pop culture were like in 2016, you wouldn't show them an episode of Steven Universe, that wouldn't tell them anything. You also wouldn't show them nuPPG, because it's a shitty show and it's more representative of what out of touch executives think kids like.

Bojack Horseman S3 had a fantastic period piece episode about 2007 that really nailed that authentic shitty 07 flavor. Kim Possible and American Dragon are pretty good examples as well. Dammy Phantom less so, because Butch Hartman loves his stock 80s high school drama tropes too much.
>>
>>85491568
>>85491903
What? What does that have to do with AT?
>>
>>85493860
/thread
>>
>>85493860
I'd show them MOBAs. I'd show them LP vids of people playing MOBAs and interacting with other MOBA players.

Oh, and tumblr.
>>
>>85493860

I don't know any 2010s kids but I always thought modern kids were into their smartphones, internet memes, blah, blah. Shows like Steven Univeree and Gravity Falls feel like 90s/2000s kids with some minor modern technologies. Heck, Mabel is an 80s fangirl.

PPG oddly enough probably feels the most 2010s. Bubbles makes stupid meme references and acts like a fangirl
>>
File: mgid-uma-image-mtv.jpg (39KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
mgid-uma-image-mtv.jpg
39KB, 660x495px
phil of the future tbqh senpai
>>
>>85493622

they used the weirdest affects and voices.
>>
>>85493973

Not /co/

>>85493860

Danny Phantom had 2000s elements, like the clothing and Ember.
>>
File: a.png (271KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
271KB, 400x400px
>>85493860
>Bojack Horseman
And he calls others ''Leddit''
>>
File: image.png (16KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16KB, 200x300px
>>85492063
>>85492369
>>85492611
>>85492669

I'm 24 and was in college when this shift you guys talk about apparently happened, and I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

The years around 2010 were just as vapid as they are now. There is barely any difference aside from the proliferation of more internet-based jokes and culture. People were are still welcome and encouraged to be different, but only on an ostensible level. That's why you have all these people trying to outdo each other on Instagram, Tinder and the like, because being different is what gets you followers.

Yeah, you've got dabbing and Fetty Wap now, but you had the dougie and Lil Wayne back then. Mainstream culture has been completely hollow with a different shade of paint over it since the 80s, when the corporate climate changed in favor of formulaic, guaranteed profits rather than organic growth through consumer-focused practices. The Internet has just gave the new shade of paint a striped pattern.
>>
>>85494084
You're replying to kids. Everyone thinks the world magically changed after their formative years.
>>
>>85494084
>because being different is what gets you followers
Not really. Most everyone on social media who's really popular does the exact same thing. It's more like being different became the mainstream so boring one is different any more
>>
>>85493860
>>85494084
I acknowledge that I'm probably being really "back in my day" here, but back in my day, fans didn't drive creators off social media. They didn't drive other fans to suicide based on what harmless thing they liked. They didn't jump at the first chance to completely disown and ostracize someone for the smallest thing. Some people just want to blame the SJW for ruining everything, but I think it's deeper than that. Young fans now are different than the young fans 6 years ago.

I also recognize this is nothing new because cultural shift like this is completely normal.
>>
>>85492063
It was always "cool" to be a vapid, jaded narcissist who thought they figured life out and hated everything while being "comically sardonic".

This isn't new in any sense of the word. And sure as shit is still obnoxious to everyone else as it was whenever it first hit off.
>>
>>85491212
I miss early 2000s fashion.
People forget so easily how good cargo pants looked on girls
>>
>>85494609
Holy fuck this. I'm 20 and I couldn't wait for high school and middle school for that. I saw it freshman year and it was only with juniors or seniors. I came up right at the start of skinny jeans and trip pants. I just wanted to live freaks and geeks
>>
We need another 9/11, and an even bigger one.
>>
>>85494135

It did, is the Mandela effect, they are falling to worse and worse realities.
>>
The early acts of Homestuck, the good parts of the comic, chronicle the twilight of the Web 1.0 days. The Internet used to be an untamed frontier where people who didn't have much going for them offline could forge meaningful bonds of friendship, and to this day, Homestuck is the most faithful, honest, and relatable depiction of Internet friendships in media I've ever seen. Now, the last half of Homestuck, where shit starts going downhill and staying there, will soon enough be a dated collection of references to the dawn of Web 2.0. The difference in quality of the two halves of the comic mirrors my opinion of Web 1.0 and Web 2.0. I really do miss the way things were, I miss the virtual cowboys, I miss our refuge from the normies. But I think I would admit, when all is said and done, that the normalization of the Internet was necessary. It just needs to be something better than what it is right now.
>>
>>85492300
You're forgetting that rich people had Palm Pilots and Blackberries too. It just didn't catch on for normies until the iPhone.

That Razr fad was awful though, I literally never got a flip phone. Fuck those ugly things.
>>
>>85493860
No, manchildren like you are the ones who need to get a life.

I have a fucking job and take good care of my family, what the fuck do you do, you sad virgin?

>>85491293
Oh, god, I forgot about 6teen
I only recall seeing it on Nickelodeon
>>
>>85495429
Flip phones are awesome though. I'm still waiting for a smart phone that uses that format. I hate carrying around something with an exposed screen especially on the job when I know stuff's going to be smashing against my pocket.
>>
>>85491212
Doctors still use pagers
>>
File: doc.png (24KB, 704x704px) Image search: [Google]
doc.png
24KB, 704x704px
Another '98 fag here (also 18)

Everyone, every single generation always says things like "this new generation is awful/different and kids have changed these days." See https://xkcd.com/1601/ and https://xkcd.com/1227/.

I would need evidence to back this up, but really people never change. It's never been really popular for people to really be really really original or go against the grain too much. Like, it's good to make original content and ideas within the culture, but you shouldn't be going out on your own and doing weird stuff. You're either going to be way behind or ahead of everyone else culture-wise if you do that. That's how it's always been. It's not like there was some switch that flipped in the early 2010s or whatever and suddenly everyone wanted everyone else to be like them.

People have always been like this, it's just so much more visible now than it was before due to social media being everywhere. Everyone wants to blame it on the SJWs or the redditors or /b/tards or whatever, but all of those groups are pretty much the same, they all have witchhunts, they all have slight NPD... The only real difference are the specific cultural memes and ideas they talk about.

We're all the same on the inside, the only difference is that now you can read about someone who lives halfway across the world. I think >>85494084 comes the closest to what's really going on, just that it didn't start in the 80s, culture was always like that.
>>
>>85494686
Skinny jeans are terrible, you get neither the sexiness of legs or the chest/torso emphasizing power of cargos and flares.
>>
>>85496077
skinny jeans are mostly for girls to show off ass it doesn't work on guys who don't usually have asses for them.
>>
The first two seasons of Static Shock is very late 90s early 2000s
>>
>>85493860
I thought the Bojack episode was a parody of period piece episodes. How they always just awkwardly force in the most obvious pop culture references in a really unnatural way.
>>
File: 350px-US_Birth_Rates.svg.png (13KB, 350x264px) Image search: [Google]
350px-US_Birth_Rates.svg.png
13KB, 350x264px
Yo dawg, it is all about the big baby booms and the marketing surrounding it.

The 1950's was when this "mass marketing culture" came to be. After the war, housing became affordable, nuclear families and television controlled the family dynamic and mass marketing started to evolve, which pushed people to conform and buy the same plastic shit as everyone else. Since so many people were having children in the late 40's - 50's, the baby boomers became what most of the marketing focused on. The rebellion against this conformity took hold in the 60's, following this age trend until the 70's were the marketing became really mature and adult. However, the next generation (gen x) born in the 70's was the last biggest one because of the mainstream acceptance of birth control methods the came after this time. Marketing in the 80's turned back to a 50's mentality to follow gen x'ers as well as because of Reagan and the rise in conservatism. The 90's were like the 60's as rebellion against this, aimed at teens and college age gen x'ers. Movies like "This is 40" in 2012 are made to market at these gen x'ers.

If you follow the trend in birth rates, the marketing and culture makes perfect sense over time. The next trend will follow the millenials born in the 90's as shown in this chart.
>>
>>85492084
>That internet episode was pretty early 2000's right?
Oh god, back in the day with Scooby Doo Cyber Chase where writers trying to make stories off technology like computers and video games was popular.
>>
File: galo sengen.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
galo sengen.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>85498588
>The spike in 1972
>"This is 40" made in 2012
>>
>>85498588

"Millenial" refers to 80s babies too
>>
>>85498874
The graph shows the 80's and the spike in early 90's was the last high birth rates for a while, so you are definitely right in that regard.
>>
Da Boom Crew
>>
>>85495429
>razrs are aweful
Poorfag who couldn't afford the sexiest phone design detected.
>>
>>85491690
I wonder how much you could recreate the first Matrix film just by editing 00's references of it together together .
>>
File: shitposting since 1989.png (15KB, 360x253px) Image search: [Google]
shitposting since 1989.png
15KB, 360x253px
>>85494538

Everything you're talking about can be attributed to technology advancing instead of people changing.

Also, internet harassment is not new, SA used to have a forum dedicated to it.
>>
>>85500540
>Also, internet harassment is not new
Seems to be a lot more "mainstream" now though.
>>
>>85491416
Smartphones got big in late 00's but it's definitely very 10's.
>>
File: clone.gif (280KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
clone.gif
280KB, 500x383px
clone high
>>
>>85493965
What about WBB instead of nuPPG? I've heard it's not as bad while still containing a crap load of 10's references.
>>
File: a58.jpg (25KB, 337x404px) Image search: [Google]
a58.jpg
25KB, 337x404px
>>85495737
>an 18 year old is lecturing about generational culture changes.
Please teach us wise sage.
>>
>>85495589
What I really hate about modern phones is the touch screen keyboards. Physical keyboards felt so much more intuitive.
>>
>>85500540
At least the people harassing each other back then were other super-nerds.

Now it's just any random overzealous elementary/middle schooler with a smartphone making "sick burns" when they're supposed to be fucking learning in class.
>>
>>85491251
In terms of references? I don't think it counts, it makes up it's own slang and shit, which is mostly retarded. Shit like...

>"Shmao-wow! That was totally math, but the rest was total butts. I'm starved, let's go get our munchichi's on!"
>>
>>85500702

Thats because the internet is more mainstream now.

>>85501818

Why does it matter who does it? It's still happening and it's been happening for a long time.
>>
>>85501818
sick burns?
>>85502022
still happening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
>>
>>85495360
This is probably what I miss most of the 2000s and what is so difficult to depict. The internet was smaller and while popular, the bulk of internet culture did not come from 'the masses' or mainstream but from a smaller subsect of the the population. There was a greater emphasis on anonymity and/or screen names and interacting with strangers in disparate communities. Those small communities got gobbled up and consolidated and people now are more apt to use their real names and use the internet to augment their interactions with people they already know. The internet is simultaneously bigger (more people) and smaller (people visit fewer sites). Were I a young teen now I'm not really sure how I'd go about making friends online, my younger cousins pretty much only communicate with people they already know in school save for one became he games. So I'd agree Homestuck is a great representation of this, mirroring my own teenaged online friendships and while I'm glad to have been able to experience it I'm also sad that its aging into a relic of the era.

on smartphones: The iPhone didn't drop till mid 2007 and Android didn't drop till late 2008 so smartphones are *very* late 2000s. When I graduated in 2011 the most common phone was still a slider.
>>
>>85498874
"Millennial" is fucking stupid. They keep changing the year limits. According to some dumb studies and op-eds I'm squarely in the Millennial camp and according to others I share so little in common with the definition I'm more apt to be the next youngest generation.
>>
File: _1464465298304.jpg (158KB, 890x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_1464465298304.jpg
158KB, 890x1000px
>>85497383
>>
File: 1470951752131.png (342KB, 1186x477px) Image search: [Google]
1470951752131.png
342KB, 1186x477px
>>85492611
>>85494084
>>85495737
>>85501270
>>85492502
When people on 4chan reference or rant about "millennials" (i.e. "millennials don't know what this is [insert 90s/early 2000s things that millennials clearly know about]", "millennials are spoiled", "millennials are quivering teen tranny twinks" ignoring the fact that most millennials are 20-30 and not teenagers), they are always insulting *just* the tail-end Millennials. Saying "millennials" is just simpler and catchier than saying "late millennials" or "ending millennials".

Earlier millennials (born 1980-1994) grew up pre-9/11 and played outside. Older millennials grew up without social networking, smartphones, and wifi. They can remember when it was ok to homophobic publicly. They knew what things were like before the world was flooded with east european immigrants. They are more right wing than other generations, more likely to start their own business or be self employed than other youth generations. They grew up having crushes on Britney spears, Christina aguilera, Sailor moon, Misty, and Dark magician girl - having crushes on girls is something that any normal boy who's not mentally ill should have. They actually look like men and have testosterone, unlike the end millennials.

Tail-end millennials (born 1995-2000) grew up in the post-9/11 society and seem to be effeminate, promote SJW shit more than older millennials, and they also shout memes in real life. They don't remember life before the Interent and social networking. They are mostly quivering twink mealymouthed faggots and transgenders. They grew up having crushes on Justin bieber and Harry styles, not girls, because the liberal media told them it was "cool" to be effeminate and "experimental". They are the liberal brainwashed, lazy ass, entitled degenerate fucknuggets that you see on news stories or comedy shows about college campuses.

See the difference?
>>
>>85503321
t. guy who was born in 1994
>>
You guys aren't even talking about cartoons anymore.

Anyway, Foster's Home has some references to Wii's and NGC's but otherwise it feels timeless. It could be set in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s.
>>
>>85503424
You must admit, there's a clear difference. Most of the forum posts I've read, as well as sociologists and researchers, say 1995 is the clear birth year where there's a breaking point.

The Internet first came into the public consciousness and mainstream popularity in 1995. Those born from 95-2000 were literally born "on top of" the Internet, and it affected their upbringing real badly.
>>
>>85503523
There's a difference, but it's not as simple as your post claims even if you ignore the insane amounts of projecting in it.
>>
>>85503321

>Earlier millennials (born 1980-1994) grew up pre-9/11 and played outside.

They also act like 80 year old men telling kids to get off their lawn despite being in their 20s and 30s.
>>
File: they bare bears.jpg (31KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
they bare bears.jpg
31KB, 640x360px
We Bare Bears has a homophone character almost obsessed with being popular on social media, several episodes based around a koala character who is a literal meme, and so many hipsters it's actually set in San Francisco. Pretty decent show desu but it'll be really dated a few years down the road.
>>
>>85503321
>people born before MY YEAR are literally all gay and crushes don't happen anymore

You don't even deserve a "wew lad", just okay.

Okay kid.
>>
i have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say "new" change in mentality. This mentality of trying to be different from everyone else is the norm because it promotes personal growth (which is why it overlaps with puberty). Don't be fooled by the "its ok 2 b common" mentality of recent times, that's just a different way of saying you're different from everyone else if you support the idea. As soon as it becomes the actual norm so that the message doesn't need to be spread, people will move to something else.

Social life has always been about trying to outrun everyone else and ending up being just like everyone else in the process, because everyone is doing that exact thing. It's just a race to the meta. Daria not only depicts one of these people, it depicts her as a satire of these people. If a cartoon from the 90s not only recognizes the edgy teenager but makes fun of its irony, it sure as hell isnt a new thing.
>>
>>85503321
the faggotry was still there nigger in earlier millenials

born in 1991
>>
>>85503842
>They also act like 80 year old men telling kids to get off their lawn despite being in their 20s and 30s.
Yes, because the world got fucked up after 9/11.

We now live in a world where everything is sick and wrong and everybody is miserable deep down
>>
>>85491239
More like a PDA
>>
>>85503321

That post got way closer to a good point than I expected considering how fucking insane it got
>>
>>85504307
>Being this Burgercentric
>>
>>85504307

>projecting your personality onto other
>>
>>85494084
Thank you. I was getting cringed out at all the stupid shit people were posting in here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVUlb7fpF8
This film came out in 2011 and it's dated in a lot of ways (e.g. she uploads a "hipster photo" to facebook rather than instagram, she listens to indie rock rather than hip hop) but it also shows the shit tonne of similarities (e.g. fashion being nostalgic for the 90s; you were not really seeing that in the 00s, which was all about nu-rave and 80s revivalism).
All the sjw stuff really started kicking in around about that time too. You only saw it things like LGBT societies at universities, but over time it started filtering out into the mainstream.
18 year olds trying to generalise about the differences between the early 10s and now really don't have a frame of reference - they were 12 at the start of the decade. A lot of posters in this thread seem to think we've entered a new age of misery since the early 00s, but frankly I remember the early 2010s as still reeling from the financial crisis of '08.
The biggest difference in pop culture between ~2010 and 2016 is that people have given up using "hipster" as an insult.
>>
>>85503321
You really don't deserve a reply, but here it is.

(You)
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 240x180px
Literally nothing has become more dated than Invader Zim

Literally NOTHING

Try to prove me wrong

>protip: you can't
>>
>>85505822
The Mighty Boosh?
>>
>>85505709
it's just gone from "hipster" to "millennial" now
>>
>>85492610
>Rorschach's Journal, October 12th 2015.
Falafel sandwich in alley this morning, tire tread on burst wrapper. This internet is afraid of me, I've seen its true face. The sites are extended blogs and the blogs are full of shit. And when the blogs finally stop trending, the slackivists will drown. The accumulated bullshit of all their retweets and reblogs will foam up around their waist and all the femnazis and SJWs will look up and shout "Follow us!" And I'll whisper ..."No."

>Now the whole movement stands pn the brink staring down into harsh reality. All those bloggers, petitions, and triggers and suddenly they all realize nobody actuallu gives a shit. Beneath me, this awful network screams like an abbatoir of retarded adolescence. And the night reeks of shitty opinions and bad fact checking.
>>
>>85503321
I think you're suffering from confirmation bias. I'm not even going to argue with you about whether or not SJW shit/memes are good or bad, because I think that's really subjective and I don't really think there's much that separates "objectively" good culture from "objectively" bad culture... No, what I really think is the problem here is the classic form of "kids these days suck" that happens to literally every single generation (see the xkcd comics I posted above). Then whenever you see something that supports that instinct, you take it to reinforce your narrative, and disregard anything which doesn't (ex: I have never known a single boy who liked Justin Bieber and Harry Styles).

Plus, all you've seen of the tail-end millennials so far are their awkward teenage years, made even more weird because now we're growing up with this new technology and everything for which there isn't much of a (mainstream) cultural precedent. Whereas for earlier millennials, you not only have the nostalgia effect, but you also have all of the stuff after the awkward teenage years to remember.

Sure, some people are entitled, and some people are idiots, but that's been true for every generation. People don't change, it's just a lot more visible now because any little faggot with friends and a strong opinion now have the power to force people off Twitter. If this tech were around eight years ago, the earlier millennials would have done the same thing, just with different people and a different cultural backing.
>>
I'm 28. Obviously I can't relate as closely to someone who's 18 because there's a 10-year age gap. When I went to college people still used myspace and AIM, and smartphones didn't really come into emergence until after graduation.

Things come and go in cycles. I'm sure whatever is next will alienate the next round of young people.

As for 2000's cartoons, I'm going to say Jimmy Neutron. There's something unsettling and simultaneously charming about that early CGI.
>>
>>85505822
Captian N: The Game Master.
>>
>>85505822
Ren and Stimpy's Adult Party Cartoon
>>
File: yo_yogi_by_kuro_risu.jpg (68KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
yo_yogi_by_kuro_risu.jpg
68KB, 600x459px
>>85505822
>>
>>85505993
Not really. The whole hipster bashing thing was people the same age. "You listen to indie rock? Fucking hipster. You DON'T listen to indie rock? What, is it too mainstream for you, you fucking hipster?". Hipster was mostly a thing you called someone else than a thing you admitted to being, and the word basically started meaning "vaguely trendy person who does something I dislike".
Millennial is a completely different thing and it's all about old people not liking young people and technology. You don't tend to get millennials complaining about millennials in the way people complained about hipsters.
>>
>>85506249
>>85506251
>>85505709
Something that separates the early 2010s from the mid 2010s is that I haven't heard anyone say "YOLO" or "swag" in 2-3 years. Also, I haven't seen any bronies in 2-3 years either.

Also, the career progression of late 2000s/early 2010s artists, like Justin Bieber and Katy Perry, seems to mirror that of late 90s/early 2000s artists like NSYNC and the Backstreet boys.

In 2000/2010, you couldn't get away from them, they were everywhere, on the radio, television, etc. But by 2006/2016, they are all but irrelevant in popularity. They've released a few singles which have been decently successful on the charts, but don't really make a splash anymore.
>>
>>85505822
Sonic Underground
Rocket Power
>>
>>85492063
>It's also cool to be petty now, and block/beat people up for not liking the same shit you do

Who is this cool with? Would you yourself beat someone else up just to look cool? Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds? (Oops, looks like I'm next to get beaten up.)
>>
>>85492084
>FoP is almost 20 years old...

what
no
its only been..

what the fuck man
>>
>>85506839
No, FOP is only 15 years old.

Unless you count the Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts, then it's 18 years old.
>>
File: 1468699835472.jpg (219KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1468699835472.jpg
219KB, 800x533px
>you will never be a young lad in a flat in the post y2k, watching cowboy bebop and flcl, listening to gorillaz and Delton 3030, playing jet set radio and cave story, browsing newgrounds, early 4chan, and early something awful, reading keenspot webcomics, operating big fuck off bulky electronics and feeling inner city post millenium ennui, taking off on your skates and a cd rip of the Tony hawk soundtrack to fuel your soul

Why does it gotta be like this, lads
>>
How is this show dated?
>>
File: 1468815930032.gif (306KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1468815930032.gif
306KB, 600x450px
>>85507282
https://youtu.be/dEspxEte8S8
>>
>>85507315
meant for
>>85505822
>>
>>85507282
That kinda was me, anon, and I remember being sad I'd missed the golden age of BBS
>>
File: 0410.tonyhawk2_sm_screen004.jpg (50KB, 555x459px) Image search: [Google]
0410.tonyhawk2_sm_screen004.jpg
50KB, 555x459px
>>85507282
SO HERE I AM
>>
>>85507282
at least i won't have to deal with the EDGE and RADICAL that came with it
>>
>>85507282
Im 22 and everything you posted resonates with me on a spiritual level since I experienced all these things as a child.

Its strange but I cant relate these feelings to anyone my age, whenever I reminesce about these things its always with someone in their 30's. It makes me feel like I experienced a magic that was'nt meant for me. I blame my uncle for introducing me to these things as a child and for pushing me a decade behind my peers.
>>
>>85492063
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComplainerIsAlwaysWrong
>>
File: 1470780162264.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470780162264.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>85507656
I swear there's nothing more late 90s/early 2000s as Ska

https://youtu.be/XeNKhm09Q88
https://youtu.be/VBj1aONf_sA
https://youtu.be/QHpU0ZfXZ_g
https://youtu.be/pea3oPEgCho
>>
File: 1468809231196.png (363KB, 420x392px) Image search: [Google]
1468809231196.png
363KB, 420x392px
https://youtu.be/CnqI8T2nhMY

3:33
>>
File: 1471122834533.gif (360KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471122834533.gif
360KB, 500x375px
>>85507727
97fag here, in the same boat as you. Grew up in south america where everything was basically a generation behind. Playing ps1 games when shadow of the colossus and other classics were coming out, the dbz hype still lingers, many cyber cafes still have kids coming in to play original counter strike, people still make ska music and dance beats right out of Europe circa 1999, and to some extent that weird innocent jovialism is still there, and social media isn't quite as ever present since not everyone is rich enough to be able to flaunt a smartphone. There's a lot of archaic technology still being used just cause of how cheap it is compared to smartphones.

Still, it's fucking depressing moving to the states where that's all absolutely fucking gone and nobody, fucking nobody has ghat dumb innocent fun, everything is so hyper cynical thst even the "fun" stuff has its head up its own ass.
>>
File: 0hh yeah.jpg (19KB, 407x342px) Image search: [Google]
0hh yeah.jpg
19KB, 407x342px
>>85507832
Jezus Fuck that's the good stuff.
>>
>>85491903

>SVU
>2014-present

Does anyone actually give a fuck about it? I figure Law and order is something you watch when there is nothing else on and you find it on one of a billion channels. Not to mention in SVU the only good old guard character is Ice-T, then it's literally whos newbies and rape-baby.

Late 90s- early 2000s Law and order regular best anyway
Best L&O detective pair, GO
Lenny Brisco and Ed Green hands down. Jewcop and Blackcop best cops with black-lady Police Commissioner and District Attorney Jack mcCoy too
>>
>>85507832
makes me want to watch mystery men
>>
>>85492502

>It's almost the same with people born early 90s and those born mid-90s

Bull fucking shit. I know your types and you exist in droves on 4chan. You're a different manifestation of "I was born in wrong generation :^)". Instead, in the most pathetic, unseemly and mealy mouthed way you try and divvy up a generation so that conveniently you end up just falling within the chosen elect, the anointed ones, the gnostic wise ones.

Your first line is spot on but the second is full of crap and I'm almost certain you just -happen- to be a early 90s birth. It's so damn pathetic, just imagine a boomer clinging desperately to the claim that "Oh I'm not actually a boomer I'm really just part of the silent generation or generation X even though by every metric I fall into the same birthyears as other boomers and experienced the same major cultural experiences"

Of course a generation is a broad and difficult to truly generalize thing. Consider how the greatest generation (if not meant to simply mean "was 18 and able to serve at some point in WW2) is used to encompass births from the 1900s to 1920s. Technically speaking this means A could have fought in WW1 when B was not even an embryo, and B is now 20 in WW2 and A is +40 year old married man, yet they are the same generation.

>>85503321 Repeats the gesture albeit with some broken-clock is right twice a day goig on.
>>
>>85509028
I see what you mean but I think the "boomers" born in 61-64 can rightfully claim to be Gen X.

For a while in the 90s, they actually WERE considered Gen X, before getting lumped into the tail-end of the boom generation.
>>
>>85491690
Allison to the commentary on this episode and they said that they had the pirate a copy of the movie before it made it to home video just to get the references right.
>>
Thats SO Raven
>>
I can't even think of what "00s" culture is. '10s culture is everything being ironic. But what's '00s?
>>
>>85499287
Someone should do it.
Any takers?
>>
>>85491239
seemed kind of like a BlackBerry
>>
>>85492978
>it's cool to be angry and a passive aggressive dick now.
>now
It's always been cool, it's the signature style of all fiction's most beloved badasses.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 544x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 544x626px
>>85504307
>now
Hahaha,ahhhhhh. Yeah, now.
I'd say it's just so much more noticable with the current prevalence of communication. Not that things didn't get pretty bad after that, nor am I saying things are just peachy now. But latent misery, aggression, and bitterness are part of humanity's being, just like the positive stuff. But the constant dull pain and suffering of this excrutiating existence? That's more fun to post about than appreciating ones brief and valuable time in this universe.
>>
>>85492610
Hmm. Yeah, hey yeah that's pretty cool, now there's less ability to ignore the scope of our imperfections. That's amazing, what a time to be alive.
>>
>>85494835
At this rate we might just get it, sadly.
>>
>>85495471
>take good care of my family
That you honestly think that is why it's all going to continue spiraling down.
>>
>>85505822
Invader Zim is dated as shit, but not in a bad way by any means.
>>
>>85494609
In exchange we gained spandex as common fashion, regret nothing.
>>
>>85498588
The millennial generation begins with the 80s
>>
>>85507380
It's stylized with goth/emo teen culture, which is much less popular now
>>
>>85491212
Early Phineas and Ferb is bound to be looked back on with the 2007-08 vibe. Episodes like Traffic Cam Caper and Lights Candace Action come to mind in how 2010s technology could've drastically changed how those episodes were told.
>>
File: image.gif (543KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
543KB, 400x300px
>>85506251
>charming
>>
File: 1435521659577.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1435521659577.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>85507952
Shit dude
>>
>>85504031
I don't really see teens having crushes on girls or female celebrities anymore.

They only care about twinks and traps.
>>
>>85509824
Essentially the 90s but with more emphasis on comedy, CGi and references in pop culture.
>>
>>85510636
>>85491212
>>85507282
>>85507656
>>85507832
>>85508835
When it comes to 00s cartoons, 2000-2006 was pretty good.

2006-2009 was mostly flash and CGI horseshit that tainted the whole decade's reputation.
>>
File: 1452020586931.jpg (164KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452020586931.jpg
164KB, 800x600px
>Was born in 1997
>Best time of my life I was lifting weights when I was 16 and alternating between playing Arma 3 Epoch and DoW 1 for 48 hours straight
>Enjoyed a huge catalog of anime
>Celebrated Christmas with /co/ every year
>Did half assed drawings and never bothered to draw people
>Everyday was awesome

I think it was just because I was lifting weights.

As soon as I stopped lifting I fell and never got back up to that point.
>>
People literally wont believe how much the internet and the cultural zeitgeist changed within the last decade. 2010-11 was the breaking point

Even 6-7 years ago, internet was for nerds and kids, memes were an imageboard thing, feminism had support on par with radical anarchism, facebook was one of the many social networking sites instead of the face of the internet, bush jokes still lingered, people fucking finally realized the middle eastern wars were not for spreading democracy, WoW was literally THE pop cultural thing and face of vidyo along with Mass Effect but vidya was still for nerds, e-sports were barely becoming a thing outside of korea, steaming was a very rare thing and it was community rather than game based etc.
>>
>>85511154
This is pretty spot-on with how the internet has changed.

Remember the meme "The Internet is Serious Business"? It was just that: a meme. We said it and we laughed, because it was a joke.

It's not a meme any more. Now the internet actually IS serious business. Or it is to some people.
>>
>>85511194

Oh yeah, the time when sharing your NAME on the internet was a serious breech of your powerlevel. Getting to know someones name, hometown and face was solid doxing. And now people share entire databases worth of their activity, contacts and tastes and gleefully share all their info. And people still wonder why e-mobbing became such a huge thing.
>>
>>85510800
>19
>talking about the best part of your life

You haven't even lived yet
>>
File: despair cat small.jpg (4KB, 171x158px) Image search: [Google]
despair cat small.jpg
4KB, 171x158px
>all of these young cunts

damn
>>
>>85511271
>>85511194
>>85511154
>>
File: 1465959751059.gif (473KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1465959751059.gif
473KB, 500x275px
>>85511271
>Getting to know someones name, hometown and face was solid doxing.
>Tfw you still can't get over the "don't use your real name on the internet" rule from 2001
>>
>>85511547
I do the same thing. Nothing goes on the internet. You never ever EVER put anything on the goddamn internet. I don't care what fucking year it is, I see people's lives getting fucked up left and right because everyone is eager to rip you a new asshole if you so much as make their nose crinkle. Fuck them. I have plenty of friends and activity in non-internet life, my online friends can stay that way.
>>
>>85511271
Anyone have that picture of a website advising you to never reveal personal information on the internet, and then years later that same website wanting to know everything about you?
>>
File: 150304_consumer-internet1.jpg (762KB, 900x2002px) Image search: [Google]
150304_consumer-internet1.jpg
762KB, 900x2002px
Modern internet feels soulless because it's not in the hands of the common people any more.

It's really cool nowadays to mock and jeer at awful geocities sites with red text on animated gif backgrounds, with a midi version of Breakfast at Tiffany's playing, but to me that's what it was all about.
>>
>>85491903
>harry potter
>2010
mother fucker those things were late 90s to the release of deathly hallows in 07
mid 2000s is prime potter territory when the movies and the books where both coming out
>>
File: TSDASTO_EC001_H[1].jpg (511KB, 1821x2310px) Image search: [Google]
TSDASTO_EC001_H[1].jpg
511KB, 1821x2310px
Spongebob is undoubtably the most iconic 2000s cartoon, but it doesn't too much in the way of showing a microcosm of fashion and technology of the time. When I think of children's shows with 2000 fashion I think of disney channel live action series like lizzy mcguire and that's so raven. The closest animated show I can think of is As Told by Ginger, but that one didn't really have the staying power to persist in the public conscious.
>>
>>85493622
>came out in 00s but feels like 90s
so true
>>
>>85511154
>2010-11 was the breaking point
This is exactly how i felt after highschool i began to notice the waves in the summer of 12 couldnt go a day without an ad playing on the frontpage on youtube. I feel that the death of Michael Jackson sorta pushed the idea of staying connected too social media i remember everything going slow on the internet.
>>
>>85511711
who the fuck uses yahoo and why does microsoft get so much traffic? Is this just talking about people checking their emails? shouldn't youtube and twitter be up there?
>>
>>85511956
Yahoo and Microsoft are entrenched, balls deep, never pulling out no matter how long they've been in there, into the corporate structure. Every old fogey uses Outlook and Excel and the like, and they will never give it up until they literally die.
>>
>>85491212
Miraculous Ladybug is the most "modern" cartoon I've seen so far. That is to say that it doesn't feel like a writer is trying to shove in their "childhood" in it (like Steven Universe's episode where they were playing a Gamecube).
>>
>>85511956
Bing xbox live, skype, the rest of the shit microsoft has it's fingers in, yahoo is a bit of a mystery to me but I haven't used them for email in close to almost....10 years?
Holy shit
>>
>>85511332
Good to know

>tfw abandoned a "friend" because he was a toxic person
>He tried to blow his brains out, but now he's doing good
>He's 19 too

Man, why do people call 19 year olds adults?
I don't understand it.

There's clearly a bias towards 21.
>>
>>85511711
this makes a lot of sense. I remember seven or so years ago i visited so many websites that sometimes i couldn't even remember the one I was looking for when i went to type it in the address bar and got frustrated. now 80% of the time i'm on one of 5 websites
>>
File: 960.jpg (85KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
85KB, 960x540px
This show is going to be dated as fuck in 3-5 years.
>>
File: tradewars1.gif (13KB, 724x500px) Image search: [Google]
tradewars1.gif
13KB, 724x500px
Come home, white man.

In all seriousness, watch the BBS documentary and take special note of the part talking about the corporate influence on BBSs.
>>
>>85512122
It's just the novelty wearing off in a lot of cases. I still love to cruise the info highway and check out all kinds of sites, but most people have simply migrated to the major sites because it's understandably easier when a framework is provided.
>>
>>85512305
It already is dated except ironically. It's also kind of meta at times and also really fucking stupid especially with references and plots.
>>
File: help.jpg (6KB, 378x54px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
6KB, 378x54px
>tfw you were there for and witnessed the birth, growth, maturity, change, and now the absolute cultural integration of the internet, and how the long years are already flying back too far to clearly recall, making you wonder if some of the shit you saw was a just imagined, save for those awful moments when they show up again somewhere
>>
>>85511793
That show deserved for 3 more seasons.
>>
>>85511711

I for one dont want the nineties and web 1.0 back. Sure, it was interesting to witness all the dinky sites but it was a nightmare to use it for anything useful and consolidation was bound to happen.
>>
Can I instead say that Gumball and We Bare Bears are perfect snapshots of today?
>>
>>85492502
>>>85492369
>>85492610
t. completely non-self-aware morons ages 18-21

None of you faggots had myspace did you? "Social media" has been around for over a decade. People have known people sucked for all of man's history. This genuinely reeks of recently graduated high schoolers/early college students who think they have everything figured out but are so fucking clueless it's laughable.
>>
>>85506699
wow it's almost like fads pass and no one gives a shit abut stupid vapid sayings from 2-3 years ago.
>>
File: 1460961610278.jpg (19KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460961610278.jpg
19KB, 450x360px
>>85511711
I have such a nostalgia rush for the old internet.
I miss typing something new on google and discovering a bunch of sites for the first time

>>85512314
>the info highway
What's that?
>>
File: 1363776787197.jpg (121KB, 772x610px) Image search: [Google]
1363776787197.jpg
121KB, 772x610px
Dat ass is 2000s.
>>
I miss meme not being a word in mainstream usage. I also really hate this post post ironic meme thing where it's impossible to express hate for memes without people thinking you're going along with them.
>>
>>85513042
The second part of your post invalidates the first part.

>>85513072
404 ass not found
>>
>>85501966
In terms of nauseating quirkiness.

It more encapsulates the attitude than solid references
>>
>>85501966
Tumblr cartoons have a distinct style that makes it dated 2010s.
>>
>>85493622
SHOOBIES
>>
File: 1300738354264.png (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1300738354264.png
26KB, 400x400px
>>85503073
>>85495360
>after 2000
>early days of the internet
sorry children, the "wild west" of the internet was the 90's, anything after 1999 was developed internet, arguably anything after 96 really.
>>
>>85513042
>>the info highway
"The Information Super Highway" was the common buzzword to hype anything going on the internet in the 90's, that you don't automatically cringe upon seeing the term means you are too young to think you were an internet pioneer.
>>
>>85492476
>all about popularity yet you never see any mentions of the internet.
Thats probably a good metric to go by few people will write a story about popularity without mentioning the internet anymore.
>>
>>85511956
>who the fuck uses yahoo
That was my first email service but then never used them again when they deleted my entire account because I hadn't logged in in more than 30 days. This was in 2001 or thereabouts. Even for high school me with no responsibilities this was a huge pain in the ass.

Fuck Yahoo forever. Now it's just housewife games and shitty chats all the way down.

At least not using yahoo meant my friend got me in on the ground floor of gmail when it still required invites so I snagged up a [email protected] email which looks professional as fuck now.
>>
>>85511956
>>85514206
Just a reminder, Yahoo owns Tumblr.
>>
>>85514226
Well they were made for each other. Good for them.

The only reason they aren't worse than microsoft or apple is because they don't have the market presence to force people to use yahoo on smartphones, but they would do exactly that and worse if they could. I hope the company burns, but it probably will be around for the rest of my life regardless of my impotent rage.
>>
>>85514279
yahoo is teetering on bankruptcy, it's weird to me that it took this long, yahoo never really had a functional advantage at anything, it basically had a 4 year period in the mid 90's where is was popular among non internet users due to it advertising its hand build search catalog (yes really, it advertised and actuly used humans manualy adding and categorizing websites to their search pool) and a name that was "fun" and easy to remember, thus being easy to decide by older people who wanted to "get in on this internet thing" to pick up their land line phone and call their stock broker and tell them they wanted to buy that 'woohoo' stock.
>>
>>85493622
It's pretty much a given that a decade's culture doesn't start at the beginning and end at the end.
>>
>>85514446
Yeah, it's just momentum from that brief period of growth. It was also odd in having an old media marketing campaign almost as large as aol back in the day.
My mother-in-law still uses yahoo because she's always used yahoo. I assume most people that do nowadays are the same. I just don't think it will completely go away any time soon, because the number of people still holding out are large enough that even if it gets bought and resold a couple of times the people in charge will just keep that part steady as she goes to keep that user base so long as it remains a net positive.
>>
>>85491212
Invader Zim
Kids Next Door
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
Love Hina
TMNT 2k3

Those are just shows that definitely were in that limbo of "not 90s enough and definitely modern" . There is no real early 00s "flavor", it was a shitty time where it tried to be 90s or tryhard trendy shit like Boom Crew

Early 00s was literally anime, because that's how utter shit it was, the world looked to the East for its animation and it worked like a fucking charm

So fucking shit, the decade didn't even end before people wanted "the good old days" and brought in retro and hipster shit like Scott Pilgrim
>>
>>85514508
yep the tard money was at just the right time to give them enough inertia to keep jumping and tagging along, their instant messenger was almost okay about 2-3 years after the instant messenger peak, then when they left everything open for bulk spammers for 10 years, though it was funny seeing the chat rooms full of pointless spam bots because the spambots totally pushed out all the human users so there was no one to spam to. their interest forums were almost okay then got edged out by the actual social media surge, then became known as a pedo haven and again left to rot.
it's like a living fossil of the dotcom and tailing era.
>>
>>85514548
>There is no real early 00s "flavor",
you can't really distill a decades flavor till at least a decade after it's over, and it really doesn't get locked in till about 30 years later when the kids from that generation hit middle age nostalgia with enough purchasing power to drive merch.
>>
File: image.png (93KB, 320x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
93KB, 320x232px
FIVE O'CLOCK GET A CALL TO GO BLADING AT THE SKATE PARK DOWN BY THE MALL
BUT MY MOM SAYS I GOT TO PREVENT HOSTILE ALIENS FROM ANNIHILATING US ALL
>>
>>85514508
>I assume most people that do nowadays are the same.
Yep. Made an e-mail account back in 2003. Never fully abandoned just because it's been around for so long.
>>
>>85514548
>Early 00s was literally anime, because that's how utter shit it was, the world looked to the East for its animation and it worked like a fucking charm
>I have never watched a single second of anime
>>
>>85505822
That HB cartoon with The Beatles
>>
>>85507282
Never got around to Cave Story. Not sure if it's worth it now.
>>
>>85515438
Are you seriously arguing that anime didn't utterly take over in early 00s?

When 4chan was founded? A Japanese image board branch?
>>
Somehow my thread about 2000s shows is 65% not about actual cartoons.

>>85508841

I wanted to watch last season but none of the episodes appealed to me besides the finale. Some guy I don't know died.

>>85512031

Steven has a N64 and a Gamecube. I don't think he owns modern consoles. He probably only has hand-me-downs and stuff from his early childhood.

>>85514126

Yeah, if ATBG was set in the 2010s it would have internet as a huge factor.

>>85514548

Love Hina is /a/.

>>85491239

I thought it was a cell phone.
>>
>>85515746
It is, still better than most indies
>>
>>85491541
This sequence actually makes me think of how Rick and Morty looks. Weird.
>>
>>85492476
I'm on my smartphone using my internet browser right now. Pretty useful.
>>
>>85499287
Oh my god, this is an awesome idea.
>>
>>85513962
You reminded me of a dated cartoon film. Thank you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7KjE1XRw8
>>
>>85505957
Hey fuck you, that shit is classic.
>>
>>85510621
FUCKING THIS

MUH THIQQQ TRAPSZZZ

REEEEE
>>
>>85507282
You would like this.
>>>/wsg/1247231
>>
>>85491212
Imagine Pokemon Go in a decade.
>>
File: Unacceptable.jpg (26KB, 218x254px) Image search: [Google]
Unacceptable.jpg
26KB, 218x254px
>>85513042
>the old internet
>typing something new on google

Bloody whippersnappers coming here thinking google isn't part of the new internet. In my day we had to ask jeeves or worse, and we took whatever terribly answer he had!
>>
>>85491568
He means it is representative of that period stylistically, not that it literally takes places in the early '10s.
>>
>>85492024
My girlfriend and her sister are only 5 years younger than me and I don't know what the shit they talk about is half the time. I thought Fetty Wap was a dance.
>>
>>85492063
Whenever "be yourself" is a trend, what people actually mean is "be this very specific thing that is contrary to what was popular before, but is trendy now". Like being a hippie in the 60s or a grunge kid in the 90s. It's not rebellion, its just newer conformism.
>>
File: Demoralising Ass.jpg (33KB, 119x204px) Image search: [Google]
Demoralising Ass.jpg
33KB, 119x204px
>>85512122
>want to go to that site a friend had shown me a funny video at
>just get gay porn site after gay porn site as I try different variations of the address I remember, always forgetting the hyphen
>mfw

It was such a relief when Big-Boys.com changed their name to Break.com. Right before it became obsolete because you could find funny videos on youtube or just google them.
>>
>>85492300
Yeah in the late 90s even basic cell phones were a thing that mostly rich kids and people who had to be on call for work had in my experience. It was around 2001ish that it became a thing for everyone over a certain age to have a phone and it wasn't until like 2010 that everyone got smartphones.
>>
File: youtube privacy.jpg (218KB, 1436x674px) Image search: [Google]
youtube privacy.jpg
218KB, 1436x674px
>>85511618
>>
>>85492747
That pre-9/11 "greed is good" "work is life" attitude that carried over from the 80s was a nightmare.
>>
>>85492796
They should stop calling them phones honestly. Call them like an omnivice or something.
>>
>>85491903

SVU started in the fucking 90s
>>
>>85494609
I miss that period when girls would wear XXXL shirts like grunge dresses and some stupid part of your brain would always wonder if there was anything underneath.
>>
>>85491212
Clone High
>>
>>85491212
Man, I almost forgot about those metallic trench coats every band wore
>>
>>85495737
Nah dude. What you're saying used to be true, but we've experienced a technological singularity. You're too young to have experienced it, but the proliferation of the internet changed the human experience fundamentally. We're still going through that change.
>>
>>85491690
>Any early 2000s show
do you mean: every early 2000's show
>>
>>85500540
>right wing garbage
Kek. Lefties were bootybothered even then.
>>
>>85507656
>>85507832
My niggas. Third wave ska is love and life.
>>
File: 1470421761336.jpg (91KB, 736x991px) Image search: [Google]
1470421761336.jpg
91KB, 736x991px
>>85495429
>Not wanting to look like Captain Kirk asking Scotty to beam him up
>>
>>85503152
Millenial is 85 - 01.
>>
Samurai Jack. Best cartoon of the early 2000's hands down
>>
>>85505486
>Implying anything other than America matters after 1950
>>
>>85505709
I love Detention so much.
>>
>>85506816
If you're "on the right side of history" a lot of young people see it as pretty much fine to harass you. Social zealotry is huge now.
>>
>>85509824
90s, but "slick" rather than grungey/poppy
>>
What are some 2010s series that will age like milk?

PPG 2016 cannot take place outside of the 2010s. It's too filled with current culture. Likewise with We Bare Bears.
>>
>>85491212
> 30 year olds complaining about 17 year olds pretending to be 19 year olds complaining about 14 year olds: The topic
>>
>>85509824
Kids drinking mountain dew and customizing their paintball guns, buying a discman that plays MP3 CDs (!!!) and being amazed that they can carry around an artist's entire limewired discography on one disc. Going skateboarding. Getting a computer in your room instead of having to use the family computer. We had Green Day. What do kids today have? Nothing.
>>
>>85520357
That's always been a thing, kid.
>>
>>85494084
>Mainstream culture has been completely hollow with a different shade of paint over it since the 80s, when the corporate climate changed in favor of formulaic, guaranteed profits rather than organic growth through consumer-focused practices
Hahahahaahaaaaa

Look at this kid who thinks he was LE BORN IN THE WRONG DECADE

Protip culture has ALWAYS been consumerist and shallow in the Now. All the way back to the days of monarchy. If you think there was some sort of shift away from the genuine in the days since your dad was a kid let me remind you of things like the disco cover of the Star Wars theme that was a hit in '77. Or if that's not far back enough for you, how about The Archies? Or the fact that the Beatles were the 60s equivalent of Justin Timberlake, ie a manufactured pop sensation that broke out and gained legitimacy? They didn't end up on Ed Sullivan because they were PUSHING BOUNDARIES and SHAKING UP THE MUSIC WORLD, they ended up on there because they were pretty boys who sang inoffensive pop tunes about wanting to hold "your" hand, girl.

Hey you know that stereotype in Japanese period pieces of the corrupt official who acts effeminate and has weird eyebrows? Did you know that was because there was an emperor hundreds of years ago who was a flaming homo and the popular court styles of the time changed in that way to curry favor with him?
>>
>>85495589
?
>>
Fillmore is pretty early 2000s even if it did give me false hope for middle school
>>
File: 1427344645207.jpg (69KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1427344645207.jpg
69KB, 450x450px
>>85495737
>literally links to xkcd comics
>Reddit: the webcomic
>doesn't just state the number of the comic, actually links it
>on an anime imageboard
>when he could just post the comics as images

Summerfag, newfag, or just retarded? You decide.
>>
>>85492941
pagers were already completely replaced in my first job during the late 90s by mobiles, which cost about the same to provision and actually meant you could get hold of someone, meaning all those people who liked to ignore their pagers and cut productivity could be identified and dumped

we were still working from dumb terminals in the office at that time

>>85500750
>>85492300
smartphones really kicked off with the iPhone, but there were increasingly complex pre-smartphones in the years leading up to that - offering cameras (i think even 3mp by 2004, full color screens, large storage caps etc and with data access, though the access depended mainly on the networks which were usually very unready - data was seen as a fad that wouldn't catch on)

it's correct to say that many of these were flip-phones

>>85492377
you're an outlier

>>85492476
it means you don't need that shitty old netbook that won't run a modern OS any more

>>85492094
>>85492017
>>85492880
medical professionals have relatively low rates of unproductive employment because just ignoring a page can result in something that ends your career, and pagers may be a better choice because they don't offer as much distraction or a large surface area or keypad on which to get boogers and shit to track around the wards

also there often genuinely isn't the budget to update the tech, or it's left to people with no purchasing experience who can't compare the lifetime unit costs of an obsolescent technology to the lifetime unit costs of a relatively new and commonplace technology, usually through lack of data

there may also be resistance to change within the workforce, and unlike my first place, it's much harder to replace talented medics than talented salesmen, because people don't usually come into hospitals already getting better, whereas they'll walk into salesrooms and actively seek to buy shit
>>
>>85507727
>>85508310
Ditto, country childhood was truly a gift. Moved to suburbia recently and it's a culture shock. Every fucking kid in their 20s is living at home with no idea how to take care of themselves nor have any intent to learn to do so. Most new acquaintances end up being late 30s-50+.

Feel even worse for the kids growing up today who will never experience "stick battles" with friends.
>>
>Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
>Invader Zim
>Edd Ed and Eddy
>Jimmy Nuetron
>Codename: Kids Next Door
>Teen Titans
>Avatar: The Last Airbender
>Ben 10
>Futurama

Come on, are you guys even trying?
>>
>>85509824
>But what's '00s?
Reality television, the ipod, pop-punk (or "emo"), and the rise of social media
>>
>>85521627
Reality Television is 90's, what little of it there was. "Reality" television is 00's. """"""Reality"""""" Television is 10's. Reality television isn't even trying to be real any more.
>>
>>85520727
>Protip culture has ALWAYS been consumerist and shallow in the Now. All the way back to the days of monarchy.
Nigga how the fuck did peasants engage in consumerism when they had effectively no purchasing power? You think Riderch tending a fee out in the marshes was going to ride into town and risk getting kicked off to the badlands by his lord, or disemboweled by bandits, to buy some artisan drinking goblets so the other gruel-suckers would be impressed? Lower classes didn't participate in that sort of dick waving. That shit didn't start happening until well into the 17th century, after different systems started coming into place.
>>
>>85494527
he's right though. You're confusing subject difference with tonal difference.

Everyone 'popular' on social media fills some sort of niche that encourages people to follow them, but all of them also fit into a larger category of Tone -- let's take some popular "normie" youtubers.

Casey Neistat (A Vlogger) - Upbeat, Good Vibes, Outspokenly divorced from politicization while keeping casually liberal

Phillip DeFranco (Daily News and 'challenge' vids) - Upbeat, Good Vibes, 'Keeps it real' while being unpolitical while still comfortably left wing.

John Green (Gen. Knowledge, Authorship, Politics) - Upbeat, Good Vibes, Writes YA novels and is outspokenly left wing (while keeping it 'neutral' and 'open-minded')

They change in subject matter, but the tonal constant -- the thing that's defining each change every couple of years is this; it's the 'feel' of the era.

It isn't just one tone, either. For prevailing mainstream there's the flip side; constant upbeatness and "you've gotta be positive" (with a lean towards the authoritarian side of the left-wing) is tempered by the contrarian viewset of the era: rampant cynicism and the subtle lean towards the right-wing that's masked by a flood of self-referential jokes and intentional irony, trying to poke fun at previous iterations like 'edginess' while making constant jokes about self-destruction (just as a meme, obviously). You have things like Filthy Frank and dank memes, or milo yiannopoulos and the alt-right, or 4chan.

It's cyclic.
>>
>>85503986
I can give credit to WBB for being one of the few shows that tries to be current
>>
It is legitimately bothering me the amount of people being all "born in '95-'98 here" and thinking they're all old and shit. Like I was literally born in 1990. The quintessential 90s kid
>>
>>85523832
Being born in 1990 doesn't make you old either.
>>
>>85514226
>>85514446
>>85514508
Yahoo just got bought out by Verizon a couple of weeks ago
>>
>>85510800
That's just me
college wrecked my life
Thread posts: 272
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.