[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So exactly what does /co consider doomwank?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: WEWUZDOOM.jpg (213KB, 1279x2026px) Image search: [Google]
WEWUZDOOM.jpg
213KB, 1279x2026px
So exactly what does /co consider doomwank?
>>
>>85481228
Like I get Batwank since it's usually Bruce upstaging characters all the time, but since Doom is a villain isn't he suppose to create odds that seem steep?
>>
>>85481228
Anything that has Doom acting in-character is generally considered doomwank from what I've seen.
>>
Any situation where Doom is victorious or experiences a positive outcome.

It's funny that people that hate Doom think that something like the end of Secret Wars with Doom's loss and admittance of it somehow flies in the face of Doomfags, but in reality Doom losing is as integral to the character that you can't be a Doomfan without reveling in.
>>
File: Doomternity.jpg (583KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Doomternity.jpg
583KB, 1988x3056px
>>85481228
This much.

That time when he fought the Avengers and F4 in that cartoon was just right.

I haven't read Doomwar, so I don't know where that falls on the scale.
>>
File: 1408339531722.jpg (188KB, 500x361px)
1408339531722.jpg
188KB, 500x361px
>>85481228
Wank in general is when you have characters Worf to each other in order to show who's the best at what they do.

It relies on taking the piss out of an existing character which angers fans and now with the massive amount of background material tends to be a retcon of existing character strength, or it relies on something a new reader doesn't have context to get and will completely shape how they think of the characters within the universe which leads to them starting pissy internet fights down the road when fans who got in under a different Worfing complain about it.

Its also a stupid storytelling crutch, and in fact is one of the cheapest ones you can rely on. Which unfortunately is how comics tend to work, and honestly is a large part of why they don't get as much respect.

So its not just Doomwank and Batwank. Its stupid no matter what character you do it with. Sure, there's a handful of times when it has worked, but its about as done to death as you can get.
>>
That time he stared down the Purple Man just because.
All those Elseworlds where he takes over the world and makes it a utopia even though he's always been depicted as a despot.
All the retcons that make him scarring his face because of his ego not his fault.
>>
>>85481228
How dare you talk about glorious leader of glorious latveria like that
>>
>>85482046
It's well within Doom's character to stare down Purple Man though. He's established as someone of indomitable will who will not let anything stand in his way. He's killed loved ones, stood up against gods, etc. Some wannabe rapist isn't much of a match for him. As for the elseworlds yeah those are pretty dumb, only Doom utopia is one without free will. You get peace and "happiness" but only so long as you follow Doom's rules.
>>
>>85482697
>He's established as someone of indomitable will who will not let anything stand in his way
Not how that works. Purple Man's power is "he has mind control over you." You can't just will power your way through that, especially in a setting with other of similar mental strength. Doom doesn't get a free pass just because he's super cool. And to not even struggle with it? It's just dumb wanking. Especially sense people "stand in his way" all the time and, since he's a villain, they beat him.

What would make more sense is him having shielded himself, and pretended to just powered through it to look good and/or scare Purple Man. Or better yet, just not have the encounter at all if you're just going to use it for "but Purple Man's mind control powers don't work on Doctor Doom because he's just that good."
>>
>>85483835
>You can't just will power your way through that
Doom can.
>>
>>85481333
I would say it's less him winning and more him being treated as right. Doom is a rather odd character, because most of what people love about him is more about what they see in him. Think about your average nerd: they value their intelligence, they tend to think they know better than other people, they usually think a lot about ethics and morality, and they like the idea of earning things. Doom is a character who is both a super-genius and a self-made man, who has a code of honor and seen others profit from his genius.

So when people talk about how great Doom is, it usually doesn't have much to do with the actual comics-Doom. It has more to do with their idealized image of "what I would be if I had Doctor Doom's power and influence." So of course Doom should take us all over and rule as a benevolent dictator - never mind that he only did it because of mind control, and he quit out of boredom, and that people who stick pieces of red-hot metal onto their faces are probably ill-suited to government, because if I - I mean, if Doom were a benevolent dictator, he would do a great job. Even Doom's primary flaw - his swollen ego - is ignored by these people, because to them, Doom's ego is only reflective of my - I mean, his utter righteousness and genius.

It's the same thing with Batwank, really. Batman's powers come from his training and intelligence, and people think "Hey, that means I could be Batman! And if I were Batman, I'd totally be able to kick Superman's ass, because I'd have Kryptonite hidden in my earhole for just such an occasion!"
>>
>>85481228
Like all pejorative terms it's subjective and so superficial in it's application that no clear definition of any consequence could possibly be attributed to the phrase.

In short: These are merely the ravings of lesser minds.
>>
>>85481228
This IMO is bay far the wankiest doomwank that ever wanked. You can practically smell the hand lotion from here.

It's also the best Doom comic ever made, and my favorite starring that character. And in my head it's canon. Fuck the haters.
>>
>>85483984
And that's Doomwank kiddo.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.