[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Canary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: black canary.png (720KB, 750x502px) Image search: [Google]
black canary.png
720KB, 750x502px
I was watching the Justice League episode with all the thinly veiled Golden Age character parodies and... Was Black Canary ever as wussy as that character that was based on her? From the few Dinah Drake stories I've seen she was pretty actiony.
>>
IIRC DC didn't let them use the actual golden age characters because they didn't like the DCAU versions, so this might have been an aspect that they felt didn't match well.
>>
>>85471466

I thought it was due to legal issues.
>>
>>85471639
They said in the commentary that it was a creative thing. I can't remember the specific wording though and I'm too lazy to dig out the DVDs.
>>
File: allstar14b.jpg (235KB, 644x531px) Image search: [Google]
allstar14b.jpg
235KB, 644x531px
Not Dinah, but I found this.
>>
>>85471466
>>85471639
>>85471792
IIRC Levitz argued they shouldn't use the JSA because they just recently got JSA as a sustainable franchise and it would reflect badly on the characters. So they made the Justice Guild instead.
>>
>>85471466
>>85471639
>>85471792
>>85471861
>The Justice League staff originally intended to use the Golden Age Justice Society of America, but access to the characters was denied by DC Comics as Paul Levitz felt the story as written disrespected the JSA and the characters' portrayals clashed with the post-Crisis JSA's portrayal in current comics. However, Levitz agreed to a compromise: the producers could change the names and designs just enough to make the team not quite the JSA, but still get the point across.[2]
>>
>>85471281
From the wiki:

The Streak resembles the Golden Age Flash. His role as leader of the Justice Guild mirrors the Flash's role as the first chairman of the Justice Society. The Streak reflected his era's racism by telling John Stewart "you're a credit to your people, son".
Tom Turbine is a combination of the Golden Age Atom and the Golden Age Hourman.[1]
Green Guardsman resembles the Golden Age Green Lantern, with his weakness to aluminium a homage to Alan Scott's weakness to wood. His alter ego is given as Scott Mason.
Catman is a combination of Wildcat and with the personality of Adam West's over-the-top live-action Batman series from the 1960s. He is not to be confused with the Batman villain Cat-Man, whose name was Thomas Blake. However, his real name is T. Blake, a homage to Cat-Man.
Black Siren resembles the Golden Age Black Canary. The name given on her tombstone, Donna Nance, is similar to that of the original Black Canary, Dinah Drake Lance. She reflects the sexism of early superhero comics (such as the fact that originally Wonder Woman was only the secretary for the Justice Society of America), when she asks Hawkgirl to join her in the kitchen so that "the men can talk."
>>
File: allstar13.jpg (266KB, 862x533px) Image search: [Google]
allstar13.jpg
266KB, 862x533px
>>
File: Alll_Star_Comics-048-1200-35.jpg (56KB, 320x260px) Image search: [Google]
Alll_Star_Comics-048-1200-35.jpg
56KB, 320x260px
>>85471853
>>85472023
By the time BC joined she was allowed to be a bit more useful.
>>
>>
>>85471911
Its a good thing they made the change. If they hadn't, we probably wouldn't have gotten BC in JLU
>>
>>85471853
>>85471950
the stuff with Wonder Woman being secretary had nothing to do with sexism. Justice Society was originally a revolving door for new heroes they wanted to become popular enough to get their own headlining features. Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman were honorary members, and Green Lantern and Flash eventually got "promoted" to being honorary members too. Also her creator Marston had a lot of say in adventures starring Wonder Woman.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.