[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on the Avatar comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

File: LrjocAq.jpg (719KB, 1280x1924px) Image search: [Google]
LrjocAq.jpg
719KB, 1280x1924px
What's your opinion on the Avatar comics?
>>
>>85458578
Full of edgy bullshit, but still want Uber back
>>
>>85458578
middling, but Rift is geniunely good and addressed spirit-humans conflict better than either of series

I also like Smoke and Shadow because it is a better resolution to FN royal family drama than rather retarded Search
>>
Mostly a source of wasted potential when it isn't just aggressively mediocre.

Yang was a poor fit for the series.
>>
Art: Gorgeous. Gurihiru are goddesses.

Writing: Not fun or funny enough, Yang's done much better work.
>>
>>85459596
Gurihiru is not a single person?
>>
Just like the show: everything looks really great and the concepts are all compelling, but in the end the writing is schmaltzy and unoriginal. Literally the only one I enjoyed was the one about colonialism and how after the war there were lots of Fire Nation colonies who had been that way for so long they didn't fucking want their independence and Aang and Zuko couldn't make them take it.
>>
>>85458578
Toph and Sokka still haven't got together so they're pretty shit
>>
>>85461059
It's two women
>>
>>85458578
They're great
>>
The Search is the only one on par with the show and it's a damn shame that it never got the movie it deserved.
>>
>>85458578
I like them, the artwork is fantastic but they've been fairly hit and miss story wise.
I think the Rift was definitely the best of the series and the most similar to the cartoon, it looked like it was carrying an upward trend in quality from the previous two comics but Smoke and Shadow was a really lacklustre disappointment.
I've really want North and South to be good because I think Katara and Sokka have been brilliant but underused so far, but the descriptions for the comics don't fill me with hope. Seems like Sokka doesn't really have much to do and I was hoping it would be him and Katara working together. Also, they're getting Aang, Toph, Zuko and Kuei involved which threatens the focus.
I think the other issue is that they're too infrequent. 3 issues a year means everything has to be crammed into a small number of pages. The comics can simultaneously be overstuffed and unfocused while also ignoring characters. They've been going for four years and Zuko and Toph haven't spoken to each other once.
>>
>>85458578
I like it fine.

I like the issues with removing the colonies brought up in "The Promise."

The other ones were okay.

My only problem is how in The Rift they had completely modern, non-stylized or antiquated forklifts. Also, that one guy's glasses were an anachronism.
>>
korean animu
>>
Hey /co/ is there a better quality version of the series than the official DVDs? I want to rewatch but this is aaawwwfuuul
>>
>>85458578
Has anything notewhile actually happeend? I read the first 3 graphic novels, but haven't read anything since.
>>
>>85462381
wasn't there a blu-ray of the first season? Either way, it won't get much better, series wasn't made for HD like Korra.
>>
Terrible. That anyone thinks Gene Yang is a competent writer after writing these disgusts me.
>>
>>85462421
I know, but it did not look this bad on TV. All the lines look jagged like they have aliasing problems and there's ghosting, I guess.
>>
>>85462410
The first three issues or the first three series?
>>
>>85462442
He's more competent than Bryke. At least he can wrap a story up most of the time.
>>
>>85462446

gotta get a better copy mate, mine looks a lot better than that. plus the image is stretched
>>
File: anime.jpg (124KB, 656x610px) Image search: [Google]
anime.jpg
124KB, 656x610px
>>85462540
The snapshots come out the wrong aspect ratio, but in player its correct, but how is yours so much better looking? Did they do a reissue or something? Is that a web rip or something? I notice it's an .mp4.
>>
>>85462755

What's your source, that's not directly from a DVD is it? Mines just a 3GB rip from a certain "kickass" site
>>
>>85462381
The DVDs STILL have this shitty problem with the first few episodes.

The episodes you get from Amazon are much better.
>>
>>85462828
It is. I have the little set right in front of me. Also gimme a magnet for that torrent si'l vous plait.

>>85462829
I put in the first episode from Disc 5 and it's still go the same issues. I'll go try the second season now...
>>
>>85462882

looks like they're using some shitty edge enhancement or something, might be some way to get rid of that but I'm surprised the DVD are that bad. There's also exists an upscaled version of the show but I never bothered myself
>>
File: season_2.jpg (105KB, 656x610px) Image search: [Google]
season_2.jpg
105KB, 656x610px
>>85462960
Season 2's lines are a better but it still has that ghosting sort of effect. I can't believe this cost money.
>>
Is that legend of Korra comic ever coming out.

They mentioned it right after the series ended and how it would explore the tact on lesbian relationship
>>
>>85462977

Are you just using the default renderer? Try madvr or svp if your computer can handle it
>>
File: tai_lee.jpg (121KB, 656x610px) Image search: [Google]
tai_lee.jpg
121KB, 656x610px
>>85463008
I don't want to rely on filters or whatever.
>>
>>85463052

well, from what I've read all the dvd releases for atla have this problem but digital releases dont. so going digital is your only option
>>
The Search > The Rift > The Promise > LoK > Smoke and Shadow
>>
>>85463004
never, because pre-orders got very disappointing numbers as did dvd sales.
>>
>>85458578

They are poor, and serve only to remind me of how much of a fluke its success actually was.
>>
>>85459497
Smoke and Shadow is only good if you pretend that Azula is trying to get Zuko to fuck her.

It's a mess of a plot that wastes too much time on retarded relationship drama that doesn't even get resolved
>>
>>85462960
>There's also exists an upscaled version of the show
That sounds pointless
>>
>>85462828
Huh, the torrents I find seem to say they're DVDrips. How is it possible that they're higher quality than my own DVDs?
>>
>>85462381
the best quality sources are webrips from itunes/other Video on demand services

then ironically enough -- certain TVRips because they transmit clean picture from official TV channel master tapes that obviously don't have DVD transfer artifacts

official DVD transfer was godawful in all of the first season discs and first disc of season 2 -- lods of ghosting and artifacts galore

>>85462421
>wasn't there a blu-ray of the first season
not going to happen because complete remaster will require too much money
>>
>>85463004
They lost their artist and haven't bother to replace her yet. Shi's been in limbo for months.
>>
>>85458578

They really need some variety.

An ongoing about the 100 year war with a different cast would be pretty sweer.
>>
>>85462755
DVD resolutions are always in 720x480. Both fullscreen and widescreen videos are stretched to this resolution when they're put on the disc. The DVD player then stretches it back to the right aspect ratio when it's playing the video.
>>
>>85462540
>>85462755
Downloaded that upscaled one, since it was the only torrent that mentioned ghosting, and this looks p. good. Only the first handful of episodes have the ghosting in this rip. Piracy wins again. Makes me wanna scream! Glad it exists.

>>85465179
Figured, but you'd think MPC would have the proper AR on the snapshot.
>>
>>85465509
Link me up hotman
>>
File: 1468056666397.jpg (64KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1468056666397.jpg
64KB, 640x640px
>>85459059
Kek
>>
>>85462442
I can tell you aren't reading New Super-Man, Yang is a god
>>
>>85465540
You have a license to sell hot dogs, chico man?

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6326872
>>
>>85462882
for the sake of completeness
>>
>>85465737
das it maang
>>
>>85465825
guess what else I have on dvd (for some reason)
>>
>>85458578
They're interesting, but only because I'm emotionally invested in the characters already. On their own they're kind of boring and the dialogue reminds me of Archie comics for some reason.
>>
>>85466245

Its all the "Sweeties"
>>
>>85465950

>Past fucked by lolRava origin story.

>Future fucked by LoK.

>Live action version completely poisoned any further attempts.

>Comics are pretty, but very meh storywise, and refuse to expand upon the setting.

what god did ATLA piss off to deserve this?
>>
>>85466355
They were only in the first one.
>>
>>85463272

Azula is getting her redemption. What's not to like?
>>
>>85463155
The Rift > The Promise
that's the only wrong part.

And only because Aang goes full retarded trying to destroy the city because a spirit lost his Waifu.
>>
>>85466738
the fact that her entire plan was meaningless and goes nowhere. there is no objective. That's worst than the joker.
>>
>>85467195
It is in character for Aang to put spirit needs over human needs, especially if the humans are messing with the enviroment.

At least in the end he told the spirit to go fuck himself.
>>
>>85467195
The Promise began with Aang agreeing to kill Zuko.
Pacifist Aang, who spared Fire Hitler, agreeing to kill Zuko.
It was so out of character it hurt.

Personally, I go The Rift > The Search > The Promise > Smoke & Shadow
>>
>>85467222

She wants her brother to be stronger
>>
>>85467636
And harder
>>
>>85469455
better
faster
>>
>>85463052
I thought that was Aang from the thumbnail
>>
>>85458578

I would have preferred a different resolution with Azula. Oh, I know things are still open, but ... it was just dumb.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.