[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck does it work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

File: Future Vision.png (626KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Future Vision.png
626KB, 1366x768px
How the fuck does it work?
>>
Guessing.
>>
>>85245194
Her mind is a super computer that makes 1000s of simulations of scenarios in fractions of a second.
>>
Literally magic.
>>
>>85245194
It's just a fancy way of saying "if you don't pay attention to what you do you may die"
see the beginning of the episode. garnet was here and saw the ball on the stairs
if steven doesn't pay attention to where he walks, he may fall and get hurt
>>
How far ahead can she see?

Is she using it constantly? Because in Winter Forecast it looks like you have to consciously look into each possible future.

How accurate is it? Because Garnet seems to be far from knowing everything.
>>
File: alakazam-mega.jpg (31KB, 281x320px) Image search: [Google]
alakazam-mega.jpg
31KB, 281x320px
>>85245194
>>
>>85245314
>How accurate is it? Because Garnet seems to be far from knowing everything.
She can see all possible outcomes, but isn't sure which one will actually happen until it happens. Note how Sapphire saw the baseball game as a possibility, but didn't think it was a likely outcome.

>Is she using it constantly?
I recall reading somewhere that any time you see Garnet adjust her shades, it's usually a tell that she's using it.
>>
>>85245314
Its not true future sight, and more importantly its not a locked future. Basically, her brain runs millions of scenarios and sort them based on probability calculations.

Esssentially her future sight doesnt give her information she doesnt have(it wouldnt tell her that a homeworld fleet is on the way), but allows her to process information she DOES have, aswell as reasonable assumptions, to let her make a number of qualified guesses when it comes to the future.

This is why she describes the future as a river with tons of branches, and her futuresight as trying to steer the boat down the right one.
>>
>>85245504
I love how I've seen more SU fags try to pretend they're show writers in the past couple weeks than I've seen any other fandom attempt to defend unexplained plot holes in any other show in my whole time posting here. Its actually kinda funny how often I see it happen, especially how quick they are to give explanations for questions that clearly were never fully elaborated on in the show but they just assume it makes sense based off of observations rather than actual confirmations.
>>
First you create a save point, then you play through and keep reloading until you get an optimal outcome.
>>
>>85245587
What?
>>
>>85245516
why does she even need the powers then/ sounds like she's just super smart to me and her brain thinks at a much faster speed than normal and can analyze every scenario. so its technically not future sight, just super fast thinking? lol. kinda lame if you ask me. whats the point of the third eye then
>>
>>85245597
But Garnet often doesn't get the optimal outcome. Like with Sardonyx.
>>
>>85245587
Maybe you're obsessed with Steven Universe? That stuff happens with everything.
>>
>>85245602
Let me translate it for your feeble brain: you don't actually know what you're saying, you just think you do, and you're making up for shitty writing on a children's show. that easier to understand, Jimmy?
>>
>>85245618
No its very logical because the future can be changed at any moment so there are millions of possible futures but only one will be the actual future.
>>
It works like in Dune. Read Dune if you want to understand. Or, read Dune just because.
>>
>>85245516
So she's more of a mentat and less of a seer?
>>
>>85245194
The part thats Sapphire sees the future from her perspective. So for example if Garnet has a vision of Steven making a sandwich it's because in 10 minutes she walks into the kitchen and sees Steven making a sandwhich.
>>
>>85245663
so her brain is like a computer?

another question that just popped into my head: where exactly does Garnet's power originate from? Ruby and Sapphire? both of them when combined? can they use future sight on their own or only when fused, and if so why?
>>
>>85245685
But that's not at all how future vision works in Dune. Garnet never said she locks a certain future into being the true future because she looks at it too closely.
>>
>>85245734
>where exactly does Garnet's power originate from? Ruby and Sapphire?
Have you not watched The Answer?
>>
File: TheIncredibleAetheist.png (376KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TheIncredibleAetheist.png
376KB, 1280x720px
>>85245656
>Let me translate it for your feeble brain
>>
>>85245734
It comes from Sapphire. They've stated this multiple times.
>>
>>85245734
Garnet gets future vision from Sapphire.
>>
>>85245734
It is shown in an episode that Sapphire was brought to Earth because of her future powers. Garnet gets it from her.
>>
From what I understand, before Ruby changed fate, she pretty much ad 100% clear vision, but once that happened she had to re-think everything so now she has to weigh literally every option in her brain.
>>
>>85245698
Yes, though thats only how i have interpreted what we have seen and heard.
>>
>>85245742
Paul was obsessed with the future he was trying to prevent, but could still tap into possibilities of other futures, which he used in hand-to-hand combat. That second variation is closer to how Garnet works
>>
>>85245194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nNzNo_Xps
>>
>>85245799
Before Ruby did her thing, she was operating under the assumption that every gem she met would do exactly as they were told.
Much easier to predict shit that way
>>
File: human beings.png (723KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
human beings.png
723KB, 1280x720px
>>85245194
>>85245314
>"No one can see the future. I can see options and trajectories. Time is like a river that splits into creeks, or pools into lakes, or careens down waterfalls. I have the map, and I steer the ship."
Short version - Garnet doesn't see the future, she sees possible futures, and the extent of her vision is limited to the choices and events within her control or which are reliably predictable.

The really interesting thing is what this implies about the place of Sapphires in the Homeworld hierarchy and why Earth is such a threat to their order.

Everything we've been shown or told about Homeworld society is that it exists as a rigid caste system. Every gem type has a specific purpose and every Jasper/Ruby/Bismuth/etc can be relied on to react like every other Jasper/Ruby/Bismuth/etc in the same situation. This makes Homeworld society orderly and predictable and makes gems like Sapphires invaluable. In a civilization where the behavior of every member of society is that reliable, the predictions of Sapphire's are essentially 100% accurate.

Which is why our Sapphire is caught off guard when her prediction in The Answer is wrong, why Homeworld had such a hard time dealing with Rose's Rebellion, and why Humans play such a prominent role in a story about gems.

Humans are a curious lot. We fight when we should run. We'll protect people and objects of sentiment at the expense of resources and territory. Unconventional thinking is encouraged, not punished. We change, we grow, we evolve, we rebel. We do things because we choose to, not because we're made to, and we'll stubbornly fight wars and topple empires in the name of preserving that freedom. Our compassion, creativity, and ingenuity makes us wholly unpredictable by gem standards, and like some kind of infectious disease, our "humanity" seems to rub off on any gem that spends enough time around us.

And for a society built on rigid order and predictability like Homeworld, that makes us dangerous.
>>
>>85246185
>muh HFY fags
fuck off
>>
>>85245587
but that literally happens on the episode, she says that.
>>
>>85246614
What
>>
>>85245194
Profiling.
>>
>>85246719
>even pretending that the people you're arguing with watch the show
>>
>>85247166
"Humanity, Fuck Yeah"

Fucking losers who act like humanity is some big fucking deal when we're just the worthless scum that stumbled our way into running this planet through dumb luck.
>>
>>85245708
It's worth mentioning Garnet/Sapphire cannot see futures they won't see. For example Pearl evaded the future vision in the episode with Saradonyx because Garnet was only looking for futures with Peridot.
>>
>>85247166
I think anon is referring to "Humanity Fuck Yeah" threads, which are popular on TV Tropes and Reddit. Basically, people masturbate over how great their species is.
>>
File: tmp_23896-8f01493584014.png (1MB, 680x1101px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23896-8f01493584014.png
1MB, 680x1101px
>>85245194
IT
JUST
WORKS
http://youtu.be/Jm2D7ohWos0
>>
>>85247264
I think anon is trolling
>>
>>85247238
How does that work, though? If she's looking through all the possible futures trying to find Peridot, wouldn't she see that Pearl tricks her?
>>
>>85247364
She wasn't focusing on Pearl, she was focusing on Peridot.
>>
>>85247399
But she said that there were no futures with Peridot.
>>
File: Unity Consciousness.png (224KB, 447x489px) Image search: [Google]
Unity Consciousness.png
224KB, 447x489px
>>85245194
The same way in works in real life for those who achieve a state of awareness within an unconscious state. Your consciousness exists outside of 3 dimensional space/time, and so all laws of 3 dimensional space/time become irrelevant. Meaning it's possible to perceive not the future, but possible futures.
>>
>>85247227
>>85247264
>being this ashamed of your own species
Fuck off.
>>
>>85247238
It's also very likely she just didn't want to consider the possibility that Pearl was the one responsible. Precognition, especially such an open form of it, seems like a great power to make you paranoid as fuck; she HAS to be able to trust in her friends not to go behind her back. That was made clear enough in Secret Team.
>>
>>85247364
Wouldn't the odds of that be extremely low? "Maybe none of this is real" isn't the first thing people think of when something goes wrong.
>>
>>85247452
How is the second one ashamed?
>>
File: 598.jpg (100KB, 623x674px) Image search: [Google]
598.jpg
100KB, 623x674px
>>85247452
>WE BRETH ROKIT FUUL N SHIET!!
>>
File: HeresyStamp.png (81KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
HeresyStamp.png
81KB, 350x350px
>>85247227
That's some heresy
>>
>>85247452

>Not being 100% ashamed of everything you do or think simply because you exist

God, Liberals would have such an issue with you
>>
>>85246614
Its hardly HFY that we have self determination, and that members of a totalitarian robot-esque regime might get ideas looking at us.

We do represent an idea which is threatening to the power of the diamonds, but it isnt neccesarily specific to us (gems can develop it too, evidently)

[Spoiler]Most likely the creatures that made the gems in the first place had self determination too[/Spoiler]
>>
>>85247743
>Most likely the creatures that made the gems in the first place had self determination too
You mean the diamonds?
>>
>>85246185
It's an interesting argument. Clearly humans had a major impact on Rose... the desire to be more like humans convinced Rose to give up her physical form, and probably inspired her to rebel in the first place.
>>
>>85247743
Hell, Rose herself made the same gushy spiel about humans in Greg the Babysitter. It's more like self-determination comes naturally to us, but for Gems it's a learned behavior.

What's interesting is that even those that fought against the Crystal Gems back then had to break from their own ingrained orthodoxy and adapt in order to survive their battles. We see how readily the veteran Jasper ignores her assigned mission as soon as she spots Rose's shield, and again when she's willing to fuse even after decrying it as a "cheap tactic".

To make an even fucking nerdier comparison, Earth was to the Gem Homeworld what Malachor V was to the Jedi Order. And yes, I realize what I'm inviting to this thread by saying that.
>>
How does Garnet sense activity that isn't based on previous knowledge? For example, in Gem Hunt, Pearl says that Garnet sensed corrupted gem activity but how can she if Garnet couldn't know those corrupted gems were there or if something was happening? Garnet also failed to sense Jasper who initially inspired the corrupted gem activity?

How does this fit in with Garnet's presumed mentat abilities?
>>
It should also be noted that Sapphire's future vision is only accurate when she doesn't act on it. Since the Ruby half of Garnet makes her more prone to try to lean toward a certain outcome, her future vision is a lot weaker.
>>
>>85248327
We saw in the Return that it also had the power to locate things by foreseeing the result of searching. She probably just scans areas near portals and gem structures from time to time.
>>
>>85247770
I mean the beings that made the diamonds.
>>
>>85248465
but that would mean gaining new knowledge from future vision, which, as Garnet says, she can't actually do. I mean, she can't see into the future, but only see how previous knowledge acts through guessing. Garnet can guess there might be gem activity, but that would be a leap of knowledge.
>>
>>85247227
sorry but it's like the main theme of this show. humans are so great, Rose died to be one.
>>
It's NOT just based on things she already knows, although situations with a lot of unknown factors can foil it. She's able to predict the movements of corrupted gems all over the planet, as said by Pearl in Arcade Mania. I assume fully sapient gems are harder to predict since they don't just run on instinct, which is why Peridot, Malachite, and later Jasper have been able to evade the team for so long.

Finally, it's an activated ability, unlike Sapphire's version that seems to be running all the time. She...seems to either forget or choose not to use it often.
>>
>>85249751
Oh and also its a blatant plot device to be invoked when she needs it. Let's not pretend it isn't.
>>
>>85249810
I mean when the writers need it. fuck
>>
>>85245639
Sardonyx had an auto-save,
>>
>>85249751
I tcould be that Gems on home world act so predictably there was only ever one possible outcome before Rubis acted radically.
>>
>>85249927
its surprising that the rebels were equally predictable, though
>>
>>85245587
You mad a children's show is equal to or deeper than your "graphic novels"?
>>
File: 1371758452840.jpg (219KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1371758452840.jpg
219KB, 1000x800px
>>
>>85245587
But anon, it's a cartoon.
>>
>>85247227
Humans invented nukes, a weapon that can destroy a planet; how can you not recognize the power of humanity?
>>
>>85248621
How do you know they were made? They could have arose naturally.
>>
>>85250295
No nuke has ever destroyed a planet though.
>>
>>85250369
Well, we could confidential say launching them all at once wouldn't be great for anything they hit.
>>
>>85245866
So her power is basiclly Midnighter from authority. She knows every move you are going to make do having a super computer in his brain.

Just a bit looser in rules though as she seems to be able to take into account outside factors to a degree
>>
>>85250295
We can't destroy a planet. We can kill off ourself and a bunch of other megafauna.

But the universe does things of much grander scale all the time. We're not a big deal.
>>
File: DC-Comics-Vintage-Pint-Glasses.jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
DC-Comics-Vintage-Pint-Glasses.jpg
96KB, 600x600px
>>85250369
Crystal IS a fragile substance. The old "blow up the fault line" tactic, or nuke-propelled rocks from orbit should sufficiently damage Gem Homeworld. Then it's up to the parachute-delivered glassblowers to set up shop and ship their wares to the galaxy.
>>
>>85250580
What in face are you even talking about?
>>
>>85245194
>How the fuck does it work?

I honestly have no idea. I mean, there's no outlets up for them to plug into and I don't see any extension cords or anything. There's not even any water hookups for the washing machine.

My best guess is that the washer and dryer don't actually work. I mean, the clothes are hung out to dry instead of just using the dryer, So I figure maybe they just use the machine as a water basin and wash the clothes by hand. But that begs the question of why they'd even bother to drag the washer and dryer up there or why the dryer is there at all.

It's a conundrum all right.
>>
>>85250718
Garnet powers the house herself; She has electricity powers.

Maybe she also uses Sapharries cold powers to make water somehow?
>>
>>85250718
Like the mirror, there's a lapis gem embedded within the washer. If ruby and sapphire weren't fused all the time, the dryer would work with a ruby attached to it.
>>
File: tumblr_nj60fee44S1u9bhcro1_400.gif (241KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj60fee44S1u9bhcro1_400.gif
241KB, 400x225px
>>85245587
>everyone is repeating the literal explanations from the show
>"lol, you stupid SU cucks are bending over backwards trying to fill in the plot holes!"
>>
>>85245194
It essentially knowing 5 dimensions and watching them play out to make a definite guess.

You see, in the realm of theoretical physics, there are 10 dimensions, of which I can only really describe 6. They are, Point, Planar, Vector, Duration, Variance, Causality; the remaining four being advanced reiterations of Variance and Causality.

Sapphire's gift is essentially 5th dimensional thinking or "Variance" thinking. She is aware of all the possibilities that can happen from the action currently being undertaken in the present. Which can lead to success or failure due to the nature of Reality's combined laws. (Murphy's, Newton's, Diogenes', etc.) However, as time progresses and the present moves forward in the 4th dimension known as Duration, the possibility gets closer or further away from the original prediction made moments earlier. If during Time's progression, it goes off track too much, or it leads to a deadly situation, then Garnet steps in to save Steven, or at least redirect him to a path more suitable. It's a very powerful talent.

As per the "How", you'd need a computer about the size of the the 1950's calculator that runs on today's current processing power. Give it about 30=40 years and you can shrink that down to a personal server size.

It's just a lot of calculation, observing, and constantly taking in new factors every microsecond or so to eventually reach a ballpark conclusion. As per "Causality". that opens the can of worms further because you'd need to apply "Variance" thinking to all of the possibilities not undertaken by a decision in a given "Duration" and how those progressions of inaction would play out in the current Variance Duration. I don't think you could make something like that coupled with a singular Variance machine, however you could attach Causality host machines that deal with that specifically figure out Causalities and gives feedback to the original machine.

Hope that explains a little bit!
>>
File: 1457915786491.jpg (33KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1457915786491.jpg
33KB, 408x439px
>>85251608
>>
>>85245194
>How the fuck does it work?
Like most powers/super powers in fiction, it probably needs to be turned on by the user and since it's a seeing into the future type power, I'm sure it's like watching live feed on multiple monitors like a security camera. You're just not going to be able to catch all the shit that goes on at the same time without some kind of rewind button.
>>
>>85252855
I'm sure it's like watching live feed on multiple monitors like a security camera
This is the best explanation I've heard.

Though the question of how far ahead she can see is still there.
>>
How does spacetravel work in SU? Pearl mentioned it took 50 years to get to Homeworld with the crappy space ship they built, but later it seems as if space travel is considerably faster when Peridot arrives at Earth and with the Ruby squad. This brings into question why Homeworld would need the galaxy warp, although it does seem to be instantaneous and more advanced than ftl space travel.
>>
>>85254616
Pearl's ship was far, far more crude than modern homeworld tech.

The galaxy warp can only transport to other warp pads. To warp somewhere new, you have to fly there and build a warp pad first.
>>
>>85254710
Yes, Pearl's ship is crude compared to modern homeworld tech, but is able to travel how many lightyears in fifty years? How long would it take Homeworld to reach earth with modern technology? A year? A month?

Homeworld feels like it's just outside of Homeworld's backyard, so why isn't there much more of a gem presence in the solar system? Surely Mercury has value for the Gem hierarchy to mine.
>>
>>85255285
>why isn't there much more of a gem presence in the solar system
do we know that there isn't? do we know that no authorities on earth are familiar with gems and their mining?
>>
>>85245194
It just werks
>>
>>85247227
Just because humans have that feature doesn't mean they've done a very good job using it.
>>
>>85255285
They might need life energy to make new gems, in which case most planets are practically useless since one you get space travel you're pretty much good on minerals.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.