[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Disney still ignore this film? I heard it was a bomb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Why does Disney still ignore this film? I heard it was a bomb but I doubt any modern fans were even born when the film came out. Plenty of dark animated films exist. This film is not surprising now.

It could probably be popular with modern audiences.
>>
What is it? Does she get turned into a pretty princess?

She has the holierthan thou additude of one it seems. Does she hate her daddy too?
>>
>>85152104
It is probably their best movie of the dark ages honestly, or maybe Fox & the Hound

That might just be because I love 80s d20 fantasy cheese though
>>
>>85152287
cont. My favorite thing about it is the animation dick measuring. After Bluth left and Disney actually got some competition they actually put some effort into a movie for the first time since Walt died.

That scene where the ball of light is circling around her and throwing shadows everywhere. It might as well be circling around a giant 'YOUR MOVE, DON'
>>
>dark

I caught a few minutes on TV the other day and there was some cartoony pig and maybe a song and it struck me as the worst sort of Disneyish saccharine cheese.
>>
>>85152104
Disney ignores many things. But Black Cauldron deserves to be ignored.
>>
>>85152436
why?
>>
>>85152104
Disney doesn't want to stain it's family-friendly image with those stuff he made in mid 80's.

>>85152398
Titanic animated movie also had a rapping dog but it didn't change the fact that 2000 people died on there.
>>
I dunno, I'm enjoying the running joke of "I AM a Disney princess! Why does no one REMEMBER ME?!?" jokes more than any Black Cauldron revival.
>>
>>85152592
First the movie is just plain bad, both critically and in box-office, I mean Oliver & Company-tier bad. Second is >>85152658 this. Disney just doesn't have any reason to pull that thing from the dusty shelves.
>>
>>85152266
It's the fucking Black Cauldron you fucking pleb.
>>
>>85152104
Only contrarian shits like this movie. It was bad. It was bad and it deserves to be forgotten.
>>
it was a great movie.

Fucking normies
>>
>>85152104
They're greenlighted a live action remake though right?
>>
>>85152796
>just plain bad

What on Earth are you talking about?
>>
>>85152104
I watched it a couple years ago. It's a poor movie because of several factors.

The pacing is bad. No two ways about it. With as little as 5 to 7 more minutes of transitional animation scenes, it would have been much better. But the jumps between major scenes is often times jarring, when it's not laughable. Something needs to happen? BAM! It's done, next scene? Need to travel scores of miles into super dangerous territory? BAM! He's already there.

Two is the movie starts with a plot device, the pig, and doesn't tie it into the final climax.

Three is the random thrown in Princess. Why? What purpose does she serve? She isn't even a damsel in distress for most of the film. She's tacked on for much of the film.

Four, the hero never really comes into his own. He doesn't really connect with the audience. He's not close to the right mixture of weak yet plucky unfortunately. He then becomes fairly over powered but how he got said powers is entirely unsatisfying/unfulfilling, perhaps even shallow.

He has it better than even Aladdin getting the lamp. The Genie wasn't 100 wishes, just a few, and we saw Aladdin be caring, skilled and clever before all this. This movie's hero does none of that.

He just stumbles across a magical item that gives him the boost he needs. Sure, in the end he's supposed to learn the value of being a quote "true hero" and maybe if I had been 10 when I saw the film, this would have impressed me. But it's so painfully obvious, due to being hackneyed, from so early on, that you're just glad they don't dwell on it overly much.

Fifth, the villain might look imposing on first glance, yet he literally does nothing but glower and stride around. We never see him do magic or kill anyone; never see why he's so feared. He simply looks scary.

Overall film is not visually bad but character & storywise it fails to come together. No single element is poor on its own, but none of the mixing & execution of the story gels. It's a jumbled mess at best.
>>
>>85152796
Fuck you Oliver & Company was my shit!
>>
>>85152354
To be fair, Disney had been struggling as a company to handle their budget. In the late 60s, they were pouring money into construction for Disney World. They were recycling a lot of animation and the 70s was a really rough time for animation in general.

And to be fair, Walt really put a lot of heart into Pinocchio, which was a pretty bad flop.
>>
>>85152658

It's pretty family friendly. PG at worst.
>>
>>85152104
It bombed and it's not good. It has good aspects, like the villain being scary, but it's not that great as a movie.
>>
>>85152796
Nice b8 m8
>>
File: fuck this faggot.jpg (22KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this faggot.jpg
22KB, 210x240px
I seriously hope that nobody here actually thinks the Black Cauldron is a good movie. If you do then I can only guess that you've got some serious nostalgia goggles on. Watch it again and this fucker will drive you up the wall.
>>
>>85156761

>It's a jumbled mess at best.

Probably because it's a mash up of the first two books in a five book series.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.