[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watchmen - Adapting the Unadaptable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: watchmen.jpg (26KB, 398x329px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
26KB, 398x329px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oltd-Jsi2I

Come listen why Moore was GOAT and Snyder is a hack
>>
OP is a fag
>>
>>85051653
Are you mad that someone criticized your precious capekino?
>>
Having recently re--watched it: it's a pretty good movie, as a comic book movie, but it does not do the novel justice.
>>
>frankjavcee soundtrack
Man his music is so unironically good
I wonder if Kaptainkristian stills visits /co/, he became pretty big.
>>
'Ozzymandayas'?

Anyway, I agree. For years I have been saying that an adaptation should have been a mini-series, not a movie.
>>
>>85052640
>but it does not do the novel justice.
So like just about every adaption ever then.
>>
>>85052796
Some adaptations are better than the source material

The Godfather
Jurassic Park
Jaws
No Country for Old Men
American Psycho
etc
>>
>>85052937
Agreed. But American Psycho is not better than the book.
>>
>>85051569
Hadn't heard about this guy. Watched a few of his vids after this one. I enjoyed the hell out of them.
>>
>>85053103
He's a /co/mrade. He has a video about Spider-Man not made for his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fO1sY_Dg-M

He also has an unlisted Calvin and Hobbes video that kept being flagged or some shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xzzQVk5IfE
>>
>>85052937
>American Psycho

Kek confirmed for stupid faggot that never read the book
>>
>>85052937
Or maybe they're two separate mediums and aren't really (directly) comparable.
>>85051569
"Unadaptable" is a huge stretch.
>>
>>85052109
because no where in the video it is implied that Snyder is a hack.
>>
>We finally have a good Youtuber that discusses cartoons and comic
Sweet Jesus finally. The only other okay guy we had was RebalTaxi and he wasn't so much popular because he was great as he just wasn't as mediocre/terrible like most.
>>
This guy's videos are so great, always nice to wake up to them
It's nice to see that these informative and concise channels are blowing up recently
>>
>>85051569
>Adaptations are usually more well-known than their source material
Only movies. Since he gave examples of comic adaptations, you'd think he'd be more deliberate in his wording.
>Some might never check out the comic.
If they aren't willing to read the comic, they never would've in the first place. Who came up with this unsubstantiated idea that adaptations DISCOURAGE readers? If someone was the type of person who wouldn't check out the original work because they already know the story, they wouldn't have gotten anything out of the comic, anyway.
>adaptations are only supposed to be supplementary
That would mean something if everyone was interested in everything, but they don't. Less people like comics than films. Regardless of whether it's replacing the original, the idea that an adaptation can't stand on its own is ludicrous.
>authenticity
The example given is terrible. Th r e's nothing wrong with that choice, especially when it's actually a very small aspect of his character. Adaptations have no reason to remain the same; those that try to too hard are much worse for it than those that outright forget the original. One of my favorite film adaptations of a novel is Howl's Moving Castle, which changes a lot.
>>
>>85053652
This video really didn't say much of anything though, and certainly nothing new.

A much better channel is the Strip Panel Naked anon, who actually talks about comics, not movies, and goes ino their structure and formal qualities.

https://youtu.be/KQzXcFmf98I

In this video he talks about the 9 panel grid and has something more to say than simply, Alan Moore used it, and it's good.

If this video is your idea of quality, it's not surprising we don't get much in the terms of actually quality analyis, idiots are simply ok with watching meaningless vids tht conirm their own thoughts and don't bring nything new to bare.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Honestly the only point I disagree with is Ozymandias' costume.
That shit looked silly in the comic, not powerful. But that was ok because everyone looked as silly.
And in the new movie it preserves that silliness, but also it is adapting all costumes to movie looks. If the comic was using regular comic superhero looks to its setting, the movie was doing the same for its medium.

For that matter the batnipples not only represented Schumacher's adaptation of the batcostume, but old greek armor, which fits with his theming.
>>
>>85053941
>this video is your idea of quality, it's not surprising we don't get much in the terms of actually quality analyis
What a fucking pretentious cunt.
That video in the OP is pretty good. It's not discussing the 9 panel grid more so than Watchmen and its adaptation, for comparison sake and to understand what made Watchmen great on a basic level.
>>
>>85053992
The point is Ozymandias is supposed to, initially, look like a good guy. The comic costume had nothing special going for it, just fitted his "wise egyptian-like" theme, while the movie's version either makes you laugh for stuff like the batnipples and general apparent nudity or comes off as creepy and evil because of all the dark colours
>>
>>85054072
It's hardly saying anything at all, except the idea that watchmen is "unadaptable", which he states in the video has already been said for 2 decades. And the he goes on to give very few, already well tread and very shallow surface level reasons as to why. So what's even the point of the vid?

The video's not bad, but it's pretty meaningless and certainly not worthy of praise
>>
>>85054142
>while the movie's version either makes you laugh for stuff like the batnipples and general apparent nudity or comes off as creepy and evil because of all the dark colours
Completely disagree, because the color palette of the whole team is gray and brown, except for Manhattan and Spectre. Ozy never looks off or out of place. You could say the same about how Nite Owl costume is creepy because it's full of browns and the owl theme is offputting.
>>
>>85051569
>Snyder is a hack
Ever sine Batman vs Superman
>>
>>85051569
Based Kristian.
>>
>>85051569
Moore has lost his touch and has always been a unlikable hypocrite who would fuck over his own friends.

At least Dave Gibbons has taste.
>>
>>85052937
>Some adaptations are better than the source material
In the case of Civil War, most definitely
>>
>>85054648
Civil War wasn't really an adaption of the comics event. Yeah, there were similar themes and a few plot points that were similar but not much else.
>>
The casting in this movie was nearly Spot on if not for Ozymandias. His actor doesn't have the look of a "good guy", even those who never read the source material would see he's the villain on looks alone, especially in the trailers.

I think someone like Brandon Routh would have been a better fit for Ozy.
>>
>>85054695
I'd say a "loose adaptation" but an adaptation none the less. For the most part the motivations of the characters were pretty much the same. Difference being that act far less retarded and don't do so much completely OOC bullshit as the comic.
>>
>>85052937
I haven't read The Godfather or No Country, but for the others.
American Psycho does what the Watchmen movie does: it's a great condensed version that hits similar highs and lows while not getting bogged down. That said I don't think I'd necessarily agree with "better" than source material.
Jurassic Park is one of the only times a book and movie were so completely different while being equally great, so again "better" is just not a great word for this.
You're 100% right about Jaws. The book is less scary, less stylistically unique, didn't make an impact the way the movie did, and has a not insignificant amount of focus on Brody's wife nailing the biologist.
>>
>>85051653
hello I can't read comics because of muh current year. Have some (you)
>>
>>85051569
came here to post the video, glad to see a thread is already up

I love kaptiankristian's stuff and he hits every nail poking through the adaptation right on the head
>>
>>85052766
>mini-series
>what we could have had

I think Terry Gilliam expressed interest in adapting Watchmen a long time ago but he thought it would have to be done as a series as well
>>
>>85055150
Gilliam had some interesting casting choices. De Niro as the Comedian and Robin Williams as Rorschach.
>>
>>85055150
>Terry Gilliam
his script was utter shit, anon
>>
>>85051569
You can't make a good adaptation out of a bad work without making some differences.
>>
File: 1367869589818.gif (975KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
1367869589818.gif
975KB, 290x231px
>>85055229
>Robin Williams as Rorschach.

That could've actually work
>>
>>85053208
I find it kind of ironic his Calvin & Hobbes video got flagged.
>>
File: 135436645364.jpg (19KB, 234x224px) Image search: [Google]
135436645364.jpg
19KB, 234x224px
I love all the videos and channels coming out that talk about how cool of a medium comics are.
>>
>>85054738
Not really. Cap and Iron Man's motivations are more personal and centered around Bucky in the movie as opposed to the comic where it's Cap's beliefs in personal freedoms and Stark being deeply affected on a personal level by Stamford and having foreseen the greater ramifications of SHRA. And of course Peter being much more important in the comic.
>>
>>85056340
Who could even flag it? Doesn't Watterson completely own the rights?
>>
>>85057863
Youtube's flagging system is completely broken, I remember this one shooter trailer set in the middle east got a copyright taken down from al queada
>>
>>85052980
>>85053238
>butthurt B.E.E. fans
Come on, guys.
>>
File: Born_(2003).png (1MB, 586x911px) Image search: [Google]
Born_(2003).png
1MB, 586x911px
>people still defend the ending of the movie
>people defend Snyder vision of Ozymandias
>mfw
>>
>>85051569
I agree with the video, I watched the movie and loved it, later I read the comic and now I love both, I even think the movie did some things better than the comic but overall the movie made me appreciate the comic even more and likewise I love the movie more because I did read the comic.
>>
I remember you, OP. You don't have to pretend not be yourself though, I remember when you came here a while back to show your Superman video and as for feedback. It's interesting to see where you went.
>>
Watchmen reminds me a lot of LotR. Not perfect and missed the point in a lot of ways but also it's basically the best adaptation we could have hopped for.
Only Moorefags dislike it just because Moore hates everything
>>
>>85051569
I've kinda been sour on you since your cartoonfag video on Spidey
>>
>>85059416
OP here, I'm not KaptainKristen and I'm not sure why you think he'd hide his identity. Back when he was posting his videos on here, he openly stated who he was.
>>
File: bw1.jpg (28KB, 221x280px) Image search: [Google]
bw1.jpg
28KB, 221x280px
Alan Moore in 2002 interview for Wizard

1/2
>>
File: bw2.jpg (82KB, 224x854px) Image search: [Google]
bw2.jpg
82KB, 224x854px
>>85060723
>>
What would /co/s ideal youtube channel contain?

Ive got some budget to throw around to get the quality beyond shit and know my stuff when it comes to audio
>>
>>85060736
>im not going to sell out by creating a cheap continuation of the story
>his text is overlayed above the image of a powerpuff girl
>>
>>85058394
As someone who'd read the comic, I had low, low expectations of the movie, which I think helped me enjoy it more. It wasn't amazing, but it was decent.

>>85052691
I'm glad he did, though. It surprised me a little, back when he posted his [as] video a few months ago, that this seeming startup had such slick production values. Good to see his channel getting the recognition it deserves.
>>
>>85062416
ideally the same content than the guys in this thread but presented with the same humor than YMS, Plinkett or this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adetEssKxlk
>>
>>85062416
A mix between analysis of older works, creator interviews, and a spotlight vid each week for new releases and collections
>>
>>85062803
>>85062925

would being a britfag ruin this?
>>
>>85051569
I just discovered this guy today and watched all of his videos. I haven't seen a good YouTuber in ages
>>
>>85055546
>That could've actually work
No it wouldn't. You would notice Robin Williams walking around in the back of scenes waving an end of the world poster.
>>
>>85062984
depends, would your accent stop you from delivering your lines in a casual, relaxed, sarcastic, humorous, deadpan way?
as opposed to slow, petulant, overdidactic, fast paced, hypekinetic, quirky way?
honestly as long you dont sound like bad movies beatdown, pbs idea channel, jeremy jahns or errant signal youll be ok
>>
File: tropic-thunder-tom-cruise.jpg (31KB, 425x315px) Image search: [Google]
tropic-thunder-tom-cruise.jpg
31KB, 425x315px
>>85063302
A little make up in the right places
>>
>>85060736
That is just bleed through of printing of the ad on the page behind it look at single issue scans you see it all the time.
>>
>>85063397
Probably not. When i get around to it i may just review some random odd issues i have laying around (got some reasonably rare stuff), I may post it up on here for feedback
>>
File: meme_cuisine.jpg (137KB, 612x450px) Image search: [Google]
meme_cuisine.jpg
137KB, 612x450px
>Youtube criticism
>>
>>85051569

>deconstructed the entire comic book medium.

Yeah if the entire medium is just cape shit. Why do you guys like this moron? Comics aren't just capes.

Hey kaptain, you're just making videos of mainstream easy click topics and mention Gibbons, it's disgusting that you didn't, he's literally HALF the book, the paneling, the pacing, etc so much of that is him. Not mentioning him is ridiculous.

Get better and respect comic artists.
>>
>>85059466
I dislike it because it condenses a narrative in 12 parts to a movie and is full of that slow motion then sped up bullshit Snyder cums to that gives people unfamiliar with the story the impression that everyone has super strength and super speed when they are just well trained humans.
>>
>>85063873
did you watch the video? he credited Gibbons pretty much equally and pointed out that he chose the color palette
>>
>>85062563
New PPG is a reboot not a continuation.
>>
>>85063873
> you're just making videos of mainstream easy click topics

Fucking this, I can't believe this thread is so enamored of such a lazy, brain dead "analysis."

Also,
>>85062416
Don't listen to this fag
>>85062803
his ideas are shit
>>
>>85053992
Synder's comment on Watchmen being a deconstruction/critique of superheroes is boiled down to him saying something like, -They had goofy costumes, I think Moore was trying to say superheroes are kind of funky.

It was a direct reference to Batman 4 which would have only made sense if Synder wanted to change it to be a critique on superhero movies instead of comics, which he doesn't do cause Synder is a hack.
>>
>>85063589
That makes less sense.
>>
>>85065150
>I think Moore was trying to say superheroes are kind of funky.
No he wasn't. He asked "Who would realistically pull on a cape and go fight crime".

If you try and answer that question you have just come up with all of the characters in Watchmen.
>>
File: outofthisworld.gif (363KB, 490x249px) Image search: [Google]
outofthisworld.gif
363KB, 490x249px
>>85053208
Based. Calvin and Hobbes is the best newspaper comic.
>>
>>85065356
Synder obviously didn't understand that. Or didn't care.
>>
>>85065443
True.

By making the characters cool and the action amazing he took away from the core of the story.

Nite Owl isn't confident, he is a pathetic rich kid in a mid life crisis. He is a 'hero' as a vehicle of escapism.

Rorschach isn't Batman, he is mentally unstable. He is a 'hero' because he is delusional.

Spectre isn't an empowered female vigilante, she is the superhero version of a beauty pageant girl. Trying to forge her own life. She is a 'hero' because her mother forced it on her.

The Comedian doesn't have super strength. He is a government propaganda piece.

These people are not heroes, they are flawed people who for their own reasons picked up a mask. It's no wonder "who watches the watchmen" is such a key theme in the book, it loses its meaning in the movie though when the characters ARE actually heroes and apparently have super human stats.
>>
>>85051569
Thanks to Kristian, I've grown a better understanding and appreciation for Fleischer's Superman and Calvin & Hobbes. I don't know if he stills lurks /co/, but I thank him.
>>
the stuff about why Watchmen changed comics and the movie is just sort of a footnote in the history of comic book films is all good. the tangents about adaptations being supplemental material is a little silly. I doubt anyone would consider Hitchcock's Psycho supplemental to the novel.

Watchmen as a comic is undisputedly influential and revolutionary, the movie is just another comic book action movie. you can nitpick the little reasons why, but ultimately the comic was lightning in a bottle and it's pretty unrealistic to try to reproduce that - it's more than just talent, the comic was at the right place and the right time.
>>
>>85064520

>did you watch the video?

lol no. I just based it off the blurb on the video, it's good that he talks about him though.
>>
advertising your shit is against the rules
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.