[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this show good at world building and character development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: venture brothers.jpg (99KB, 641x361px) Image search: [Google]
venture brothers.jpg
99KB, 641x361px
Is this show good at world building and character development?
>>
Not so much the former, but definitely the latter.
>>
>>84971614
I get what you mean I think, it's more world-hinting than worldbuilding.
>>
>>84971644
it's more like retroscripted worldbuilding
throw out some weird names and concepts, then go back and flesh them out as real actual stories
>>
I tried to watch a bit of the first season and a lot of the jokes went wasn't enjoyable

Is there any episodes I can skip If I'm there for the character developments and the story?
for example a episode like the tv episode in rick and morty
>>
>>84972649

First season is the weakest and you must soldier on through that to get to the good seasons
>>
>>84971552
8 episodes a season really fucked up the pacing
>>
>>84972765
but the 1st season is pretty damn enjoyable tho
>>
Why do you keep asking this for all these shows. Stop making threads
>>
>>84972649
It pretty much becomes Character Development: The Show starting in Season 2. Literally everyone goes through a massive personality makeover at some point in the series except maybe Rusty, but even he gets a ton of backstory.
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84972765
I dont disagree, but season one has some great episodes. Past tense is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series.
>>
>>84971552
Watch it and make up your own mind.
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84973074
that nice to hear because that was my fear when I first saw it (knew nothing about the show and thought it was more development heavy and not a comedy)
>>
I don't recommend skipping anything, they use everything they put down I would say
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84971552
World Building is obviously just Doc and Jackson throwing shit at the wall, what's fun and what works sticks around. They're pretty open about not having a concrete plan for their whole world they just like to keep things in the back of their heads then just plug it in where they think it might fit. Like if they made a one off joke about a villain, then a season down the line they find somewhere to make that joke into an actual character they'll do it. But there's no giant plan from the jump to make that character that character.

They're actually very good at character development though. They know how to give a lot of characters their own voice, flaws, and motivations and have them react and evolve to the story.
>>
>>84976764
Is there a rule that says world building needs to be planned from the get-go to be considered "good"? Isn't it suppose to be like it doesn't matter the process, as long as the final product has a really well-rounded and logical world?
>>
>>84977178
No I suppose not but ultimately I think the world at large while fun isn't as cohesive as people make it out to be.
>>
>>84977325
It's one of the more organically evolving shows I've ever watched though. They are not afraid to shake up the status quo wildly from season to season, which is awesome.
>>
>>84977490
True.
>>
>>84977490
They are definitely not afraid of shaking up the status quo. Rusty just gained everything while Monarch list everything. And how long was it that Brock wasn't the bodyguard?
>>
>>84973859
It's still more comedy-based.
>>
>>84973074
even then Rusty gets an enormous personality makeover based on his pilot episode appearance. Even THEN you can explain it as a change in the dosage of his happy pills.
>>
>>84977666
>while Monarch list everything
>>
>>84982621
At least bump with image.
>>
>>84977178
>Isn't it suppose to be
>>
>>84973859
>that nice to hear
>>
>>84972967
>/co/ is one person
>>
>>84971985
I would count that as legit world building because I think it worked well in the early seasons. Action johnny was honestly just a throwaway character.
>lol rusty was a boy adventurer who grew up to have daddy issues and a heavily flawed personality, could you even imagine if johnny quest grew up in this world?

but that's not bad because it says a lot about the show's tone. most people were ruined as kids and everyone's an asshole And it fits into the whole alternate history hannah-barbara theme
>>
Hey I've been looking for a while but now I'm starting to wonder if I imagined it.
Wasn't there an animatic for the Venture Bros Next Season/Special?
It had JJ in a tent in the desert and an Arab boy runs up to him to tell them they found something then it pans over to a giant ominous pit unconvering a giant artifact or something.
Was that real?
>>
is the cumulative Venture Bros so far the best cartoon property ever? I think the only actual competition is The Simpsons and maybe DC's Timm/Diniverse
>>
>>84985563
Avatar: The Last Airbender is just as good.
>>
>>84985563
Well since both crashed and burned, I'd say Venture Brothers is the current best.
>>
>>84985467
yeah, that was real, I remember it too.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.