[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if Johns never left Marvel and completed his Avengers run?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: geoff-johns-rings.jpg (89KB, 300x325px) Image search: [Google]
geoff-johns-rings.jpg
89KB, 300x325px
What if Johns never left Marvel and completed his Avengers run?
>>
>>84922869
Really gay subtext between Cap
And Red Skull
>>
>>84922869
Would Marvel be the SJW platform it is today?
>>
>>84922879
So, Zemo?
>>
>>84923080
Did you read the black panther speacg he wrote before he broke Red Skull's jaw?
>>
>>84923382
This. Geoff would know the real ship there.
>>
Pic related wouldn't happen.
>>
>>84923564
Disassembled was already in the plans before Bendis arrived, but I doubt it would be as shitty with Johns writing.
>>
>>84923501
Except he has since admitted that he didn't do his research for Avengers. He probably didn't.
>>
>>84923564
Fuck Benis
>>
>>84926173
Jeff Jones is a hack
>>
>>84922869
I think they'd still have done Disassembled, maybe Bendis wouldn't have done it but somebody would have.

Johns' run was a very uneasy compromise between the very traditional style of Kurt Busiek's run, and the more modern style Quesada and Jemas were trying to impose on the company. It was like Busiek's run (basically the same team) but without the thought balloons and captions and continuity wank.

But Johns is not as strong a Marvel writer as he is a DC writer, he knew it, everyone knew it. Eventually they would have rebooted it.
>>
>>84926875
This
>>
>>84926875
THIS!!
>>
>>84926875
this
>>
>>84926875
This...
>>
>>84926875
tHIS.
>>
>>84927686
>>84929163
>>84929195
>>84929230
>>84929283
t. Bendis
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 560x856px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 560x856px
>>84926875
>>
>>84932659
>>84932848
samefag ...
>>
>>84934015
I agree, they're Bendis as pointed out by >>84932659
>>
>>84922869
>What if Johns never left Marvel and completed his Avengers run?

Chuck Austen never works on Avengers. In turn Bendis never gets to write on Avengers until maybe after Johns leaves. If Johns' Avengers run becomes acclaimed and Bendis follows, Bendis' Avengers would be a sales disaster instead because fans would compare it to Johns' Avengers.
Johns never works on Green Lantern, Infinite Crisis, or Flash Rebirth. In turn the Green Lantern film might not've been made.
>>
>>84934537
Also, without Johns DC might be in even more trouble unless Didio makes nice with Waid and Rucka early on. If he does then Waid might end up overseeing DC.
>>
>>84922869
emotionally colored hulks?
>>
Johns' Avnegers was... interesting.
>>
>>84936247
>implying you wouldn't do that if you and your wife had those powers
>>
>>84936247
That page is actually censored from all reprints of the story.

It's so weird coming in the middle of a run that had no particular family-unfriendly sex or violence. It was like Johns and Brevoort were trying to prove they could be edgy and Ultimates-style (since that was the hot thing at the time) for one single page.
>>
>>84937267
and Johns isn't even a lewd guy normally, it's weird
>>
Love him or hate him, I'm not sure we have the Marvel Cinematic Universe without Bendis's Avengers run. Bendis ran with Quesada's vision of the Avengers being the Marvel answer to the Justice League and from my understand and reading of the comics the Avengers weren't really Marvel's premier super team before.
>>
>>84937359
That's pretty much correct. The Avengers had been popular sometimes (they were in the top 10 of sales while Kurt Busiek and George Perez were on it) but they were always kind of an old-fashioned book and team.

By putting Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team and promoting it like crazy in every book and crossover event, the Bendis era made it seem like the center of the Marvel Universe in a way that it wasn't before.
>>
>>84937359
>>84937445
That's because at the same time they were pushing the Avengers they were deemphasizing the X-Men.

>Love him or hate him, I'm not sure we have the Marvel Cinematic Universe without Bendis's Avengers run. Bendis ran with Quesada's vision of the Avengers being the Marvel answer to the Justice League and from my understand and reading of the comics the Avengers weren't really Marvel's premier super team before.

Doubt it, I don't see as much Bendis influence in the Avengers films. Bendis didn't even use Hulk and Thor until far later (like Siege and afterwards) and by then his run was getting stale.
>>
>>84937359
>he thinks bendis shit had anything to do with the mcu
They were the premier team they just weren't the most popular
>>
>>84922869
Scarlet Witch would have never been bastardized by Bendis' bullshit. Vision, Hawkeye, and Scott Lang wouldn't have briefly died. Also Jack of Hearts would have probably come back instead of being used as a human bomb. Overall it would have been a good thing.
On the other hand, you have to see the result this would have had on DC. Not Johns means no Green Lantern rebirth. No Hal coming back. No Blackest Night. Bad stuff.
It's a coin flip. In one universe the DC universe loses the rebirth of the GLC. In another the Avengers get fucked over for years by Bendis' bullcrap.
>>
>>84937756
Even if he was planning to kill him I thought Johns used Jack of Hearts way too much. The character was so obscure and has such a silly costume that it fed into the objection that the Avengers spent too much time dealing with characters most readers had never heard of.

This was always a problem with the Avengers, there are stories of artists who signed up thinking they'd get to draw Cap and Thor and wound up drawing B and C list characters most of the time. But it was a risky thing and probably helped lead to the Bendis reboot (Bendis pointed to Jack of Hearts as an example of where the book had gone wrong in his opinion).

On the other hand if Johns had stayed we'd probably have got Songbird as a full-fledged present-day Avenger.
>>
>>84937926
Bendis also wanted to kill off Scott Lang in Alias and was told he couldn't because Johns was using him as a major focus in Avengers. That's why his first act was to kill Scott via Jack of Hearts. He thought that whole storyline was symbolic of what had gone wrong with the book.
>>
>>84936247
That's Millar's Ultimates
>>
>>84938170
No, that really is Avengers (the art is by one of Johns' old JSA cronies, Steve Sadowski). It's definitely imitating Ultimates though.
>>
>>84937267
>It was like Johns and Brevoort were trying to prove they could be edgy and Ultimates-style
What? It's not even edgy
>>
>>84937926
>This was always a problem with the Avengers, there are stories of artists who signed up thinking they'd get to draw Cap and Thor and wound up drawing B and C list characters most of the time. But it was a risky thing and probably helped lead to the Bendis reboot (Bendis pointed to Jack of Hearts as an example of where the book had gone wrong in his opinion).
Didn't Bendis put Luke Cage on the Avengers?
Team books are where you're supposed to put B-Listers and C-Listers. If you're an A-List character you have your own book. Team books are for smaller guys. So yeah you put your pet characters on books so they can get some fleshing out. And yeah Bendis put his own favorite lesser known heroes on his Avengers.
He also put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team so... I dunno. Bendis is kind of a train wreck.
>>
>>84938170
>casual tries to fit in
>>
>>84938729
Bendis and Millar both pitched that the Avengers should become Marvel's real star team by adding Spider-Man and Wolverine. Brevoort had long objected to this but eventually came around (like he came around with bringing Bucky back).

The publisher told Bendis if he put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team he could use anyone he wanted for the remaining slots, so he picked two pet characters (Luke and Jessica, sort of) and one recently-created character (the Sentry). But the big selling point was just having those two stars who had never really been Avengers before.
>>
>>84937926
>On the other hand if Johns had stayed we'd probably have got Songbird as a full-fledged present-day Avenger.

She was set to join the team in Avengers/Thunderbolts but Busiek and Nicieza changed the end of the story to save the character from Disassembled and Bendis.
>>
Will Johns ever be a great green lantern and fight by side with Grant Morrison in the hyper crisis war.
>>
>>84939195
Yes but if Johns had stayed around, ideally Bendis would've never taken over Avengers.
We could have avoided Disassembled entirely.

>>84939167
Do we have any confirmation that Civil War I was Bendis' idea? I heard someone on 4chan say that, but I have no confirmation of it's validity.
>>
File: 1455126278065.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1455126278065.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>84939615
maybe
>>
>>84939688
Hahahahahahajahahhahahahaha
>>
>>84939687
Millar has said he came up with it by retooling an old idea he had for an X-Men story (Xavier vs. Magneto, I think).

What everyone involved has said is that they came up with it at the last minute when another idea for a big crossover (which eventually became Planet Hulk) wasn't working out. So Millar, Bendis and some other writers put this new idea together at a retreat.
>>
>>84940013
Do we have sources for this?
>>
>>84941433
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bendis-marquez-march-iron-man-down-the-path-to-civil-war-ii

> When the original "Civil War" came about we were at a Marvel retreat that was actually about another project and it just wasn't going well. After two days of us banging our heads together to try and make something out of it we all, for the first time ever, literally turned to each other and went, "I hate this! I wouldn't buy this book! I don't like this at all." We all went to dinner and we were like, "This is like the worst retreat we've ever been at."

> It wasn't that anybody was misbehaving or anything like that. It was just that we didn't like what we were talking about. So I talked with Joe [Quesada] and Dan [Buckley] and said, "Nobody likes this. It doesn't match what we've been doing." So they told me to bring it up in the room the next day. I said, "Some people are going to be mad." And they were like, "No, bring it up."

> So, I brought it up and enough of the room agreed wholeheartedly. Then the wheels started turning. It was like, "If we're really going to do an event the stakes are going to be high and the audience will want so much from it." I said, "It should be like Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D versus the super heroes." Then Mark Millar said, "No, it should be the heroes versus the heroes!" Then Jeph Loeb said and the audience goes, "Whose side are we on?" That's how fast "Civil War" came together, and Mark Millar was clearly the person to do it.

Millar mentioned the revamped X-men idea thing somewhere but I can't remember where.
>>
>>84941727
Thx anon.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (21KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
21KB, 306x306px
>>84934537
>>84934633
Damn it, this the worst timeline.
>>
>>84937926
Even so Austen was the real problem with Avengers and not really Johns' usage of Jack of Hearts.
>>
>>84945018
Austen was just filler in between Johns and Bendis, I don't think he was supposed to be the permanent writer. His last few issues are just a lead-in to an Invaders series.
>>
>>84947042
Was he? I thought they'd just place him there like they did with Uncanny X-Men.
>>
>>84937359
>Love him or hate him, I'm not sure we have the Marvel Cinematic Universe without Bendis's Avengers run. Bendis ran with Quesada's vision of the Avengers being the Marvel answer to the Justice League and from my understand and reading of the comics the Avengers weren't really Marvel's premier super team before.

I'm not sure that's really an example of how Bendis is important to the MCU.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.