[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the killing joke supposed to be one of Moore's great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 12[1].jpg (845KB, 989x782px) Image search: [Google]
12[1].jpg
845KB, 989x782px
Why was the killing joke supposed to be one of Moore's great works? I read the hard cover version ( I think the one where they decided to fuck up the colors) and I didn't find it very extraordinary. Around the time I read it I had been reading Watchmen, V for Vendetta, What ever happened to the man of tomorrow?, For the man who has everything, Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, and Alex Ross's books. I didn't find the Killing Joke as interesting as Moore's other works, the other Batman stories I had read at the time, or Kingdom Come and Justice.

Why is the Killing Joke held in such high regard?
>>
>>84908007
It was revolutionary for its time. And the effects of the event altered the status quo for many years.
>>
You're not alone, OP. Moore wonders the same thing.
>>
>>84908007
>Why is the Killing Joke held in such high regard?
Because people really like The Joker.

Alan Moore isn't a fan of it either, though he will always mention how beautiful Bolland's art is
>>
>>84908160
That could have also been why, because I am pretty sure the version I read was the George Lucas version of the book where they "digitally enhanced" the art
>>
>>84908238
Not really a "they" Bolland went through and recolored it using modern coloring tech to bring it closer to what he always wanted. The more surreal and dreamlike colors of the original were done by the same guy who colored Watchmen and his work was effectively erased by Bolland which is shitty because unlike most colorists at the time he was chosen for the book by Moore and Bolland since they were all former 2000AD mates
>>
While this is here I'll mention an anon misunderstood or oversimplified several remarks I made om an opinions thread. TKJ, the trade and movie, was simply used as a reference frame based on the changing shape of the shadow of its reception when under different spotlight over the ages, but I was chiefly talking about 3 points relative to it not just related to it, the agency and legacy of writers, the nature of characters and the differing philosophy of audiences over eras.

Just saying Batman should be more witty wasn't the only point.
>>
>>84908328
Well either way the best thing the comic had was the coloring
>>
Why do people feel the need to know where Joker comes from? What difference does it make? Like I just saw the new Tarzan film and they kept showing flashbacks to when he was a kid. Who the fuck doesn't know Tarzan was raised by apes and why the fuck do we have to see it?
>>
File: homosexual pride pepe.gif (289KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
homosexual pride pepe.gif
289KB, 320x320px
>>
>>84909934
Did not science prove that Trazan was the product of an Ape fucking an Orang Outang?
>>
>>84908007
It gave the definitive portayal of the Joker and cemented the relationship between him and Batman in a way comics and adaptations are still influenced by it. No other story about the character made such an impact.
>>
Watched the movie with friends the other night.

Found myself yelling "JUST FUCK ALREADY" whenever Bats and Joker were on screen.
>>
>>84910878
>>84908083
Not really, by the time The Killing Joke came out the Joker had already had his own comic at one point, The Dark Knight returns had already been printed and Death in the Family was only a few months away coming at the end of 1988.

Other Joker stories that had already been out at the time
>the laughing fish 1978
>The Joker's Five-Way Revenge! 1973
>>
File: 81122805[1].gif (176KB, 1776x2901px) Image search: [Google]
81122805[1].gif
176KB, 1776x2901px
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.