[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing Joke OVA: WTF??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: joker.jpg (44KB, 575x727px) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
44KB, 575x727px
I'm sure that the animated version of TKJ has been talked about here already. Not gonna bother searching for them though since I just wanted to give my own 2 cents worth here.

I got a chance to watch my copy last night and I have to say that despite all the comic con hype, this OVA has to be one of the worst Batman OVAs ever. The first half of the video involves a bunch of shit dealing with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl that has FUCK NOTHING to do with the Joker part of the story. And the biggest letdown is the flat, almost monotone delivery of the Joker's lines by Mark Hamill. I've heard Mark deliver readings of the "Madness" monologue and the KJ at convention panels that had far more emotion and impact. But in the actual animation itself, his performance was luke warm (pun intended).

In short, what could have been one of the best Batman OVAs based off of one of the best Batman graphic novels turned out to be instead a slapped-together cash grab by Hollywood suits who knew they'd make a shitload of money off of this thing no matter what anyway. No wonder Alan Moore (who's name I didn't see listed int he credits) feels the way he does about media adaptions of his scripts intended for graphic novels only.
>>
>>84886137
>Not gonna bother searching for them though since I just wanted to give my own 2 cents worth here.

Are you such a special snowflake that you honestly think your opinion is too good to post in one of the other dozen KJ threads?
>>
>>84886137
>OVA
Hey ma! I spotted the weeb!
>>
>>84886137
>In short, what could have been one of the best Batman OVAs based off of one of the best Batman graphic novels turned out to be instead a slapped-together cash grab by Hollywood suits who knew they'd make a shitload of money off of this thing no matter what anyway.
To be fair, I wonder how much they lost in refunded ticket sales between the leaks and last night alone.
>>
File: 1467276197186.png (113KB, 364x336px) Image search: [Google]
1467276197186.png
113KB, 364x336px
>>84886137
>OVA
>>
File: 1429084136062.jpg (23KB, 238x309px) Image search: [Google]
1429084136062.jpg
23KB, 238x309px
>OVA

Please stop you're embarrassing us
>>
in murrican's term, OP, it is called DTV.
>>
>>84890021
Yeah, but that usually comes with the stigma of being absolute crap.

Gonna have to use special terms to make that special snowflake status more special.
>>
>The Killing Joke had a bunch of bullshit with Batgirl and Batman before the Joker shows up

Yeah, they had to do something because the comic is short as hell (and vastly over-rated, but that is just my opinion).

People were pissed that Batgirl and Batman were fucking. While it is bullshit that Bruce is fucking his 'best friend's' daughter, it was established in the DCAU that they were lovers.

I will watch this movie, but I now I have really low hopes so that is awesome.
>>
>>84890216
>it was established in the DCAU that they were lovers
This isnt the DCAU
>>
File: 1455409772082.jpg (423KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1455409772082.jpg
423KB, 960x540px
>>84886137
>OVA

Also, newflash, Mark Hamill is sick of being typecast as the Joker. Actors often get bored of roles, details at 11.
>>
>>84890257

I am aware, but the concept that batman and batgirl have been fucking each other is already established and nobody batted an eye then.
>>
>>84886137

Yeah. It's a piece of shit. You can tell Sam Liu dropped the ball very fucking hard with this one. The animation is TERRIBLE, the voice actors were wasted (specially Mark Hamill) and Timm just had to put his fetish into the movie.

5/10.
>>
>>84890271
He was always saying he'd love to do TKJ. The voice directing was just bad for everybody in this film really, there were a few lines that just seemed mumbled.
>>
>>84890322

The DCAU comics are not nearly as popular as the Killing Joke.
>>
>>84890322
>is already established and nobody batted an eye then
Where have you been? People on /co/ have been bitching about that for years.
>>
>>84890383
He has said that, but the years take their toll.

You cannot blame the VA director for fucking everything, when it'd likely just have taken a single email from Mark Hamill to head execs to get the director replaced or overruled.

Instead people took their paychecks and went home. This was not a passion project, this was likely some sort of contractual obligation.
>>
>>84890322
Not really, it's been widely disliked even then. And everyone makes fun of that dumbass comic storyline where he gets her pregnant.

I'm not even one of the people who think it's wrong or whatever, but it's not a popular pairing of characters by any means.
>>
>>84890422

Yeah, but /co/ bitches about everything really so I don't use that as a metric to judge overall dissatisfaction.
>>
>>84886137
>Alan Moore (who's name I didn't see listed int he credits)
For years, Moore has been asking his name to be removed from the adaptations of his works. Moore knows he can't stop DC from making crappy adaptations but at least he can maintain distance from them
>>
File: cyber city oedo 808.webm (3MB, 648x480px) Image search: [Google]
cyber city oedo 808.webm
3MB, 648x480px
>>84889695
>>84889913
>>84889922
>>84890271
there are similarities to the 90s and 80s ova market and the dc movies. they were both stand alone shorts movies aimed at a niche but fervent fanbase

Really wish other studios and properties would jump on this bandwagon. Look at scott pilgrim, it has its hardcore fanbase. They should try animating a single episode, sell the BD and if its successful it can fund the next entry.

downside is that we may end up like a lot of 80s and 90s ova series which were based on manga and never finished due to lack of sells or were just poor adaptations
>>
>>84890778
Japanese market != Western market.

Do not try to apply terms where they do not belong. It's like calling western feudal lords 'samurai'.
>>
>>84890504
Still, don't act like people disliking the Bruce/Babs pairing is anything new.

There are people who didn't like it back when it happened in the DCAU and there are people who don't like it now in the KJ.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.