[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing Joke got 3 millions of $

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: killingjoke.png (89KB, 810x764px) Image search: [Google]
killingjoke.png
89KB, 810x764px
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/batman-killing-joke-grossed-3-million-monday-141873.html
------------------------------
Is this good or bad? My english is not very good and yesterday we had a huge conversation about Killing Joke being destroyed by feminists and they were implying that this is a bad movie and it probably will be ignored by "normal people".
Im not very compitent about box offices and terms.

D-does this means that Killing Joke is a super successful movie?
>>
My guess would be that it cost 2 or 3 times as much to make, but we'll see if it recoups its budget at the end of its theatrical run
>>
>>84870824
in few theatres it managed to place as the third highest grossing film in theatres. percentage wise it performed the best. it's a modest number but it's good for what they presented. take into account that it also was released on bluray so nobody had to go to the theatres to see it anyway and it's already piratable.

it outperformed ghost busters even.
>>
>>84871084
Its a DTV film anyways. The theatrical run is just extra money.
>>
>>84871425
>Outperformed Ghostbusters
That's not that impressive.
>>
>>84871545
i know it's just something to giggle about. also that's just for monday. we'll have to wait for the whole week/end
>>
>>84871650
It's just a 2 day screening
>>
>>84870824
do i guess the "anyone who criticizes this movie is a Feminazi" campaign worked....
>>
>>84871084
>>84870824

The Dark Knight Returns part II cost a reported 3.5 million to make (and was also basically not very good).

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Part-2#tab=summary

Across 1,325 theaters (which we assume is roughly in line with the number of actual theatrical engagements, unless they decided to open to empty houses during the day) that's about $2300 a theater, which equates to maybe around 261 average-ticket-price patrons at each theater, or a total of around 346,000 average-ticket-price patrons nationwide. This probably represents the highest audience it will enjoy.

For comparison, TDKRII sold around 149,481 units (DVD and BluRay, the majority BluRay, about 3/5 of all units sold) in its first two weeks of release, grossing $3,920,711 (or an average $26.22/unit, about three times higher than the average movie ticket). It probably continued to sell units beyond that first week, but in the initial period when most sales are made it sold significantly less than TDKRI, which released four months earlier (rather than a month after the holiday period, when everybody spent their money) and sold almost 300,000 (3/5 DVD) units in the same two-week period.

Assuming the evening showing (one or two per theater) was the only showing on Monday, and assuming this was at a more premium-rate evenings-and-weekends cost of around $12 (rather than the average, which is dragged down significantly by daytime showings), that would equate to not 346,000 patrons for The Killing Joke on Monday, but just 191/theater and 253,958 nationwide.

So from the sound of things it was a little treat from the fans that hopefully will go out and buy it anyway, like they always do, but you never know. Certainly you could target those 1,325 theaters to areas where Batman cartoon movies have sold well in the past.
>>
>>84872851
It's also, just to add to this, worth noting that Mark Hamill's name on a poster is probably enough to convince a lot of casuals to sit through anything, even though he's basically been in four good movies.
>>
>>84872913
three star warses, return of the joker, this movie, jay and silent bob, comic book the movie. that's 7 dude.
>>
File: pepenonrare.jpg (39KB, 396x381px) Image search: [Google]
pepenonrare.jpg
39KB, 396x381px
>>84870824
Woooooowwww....SJWs BTFO!
I can't wait for more AWESOME ''''''''''''WRITING''''''''''' and QUALITY ''''''''''''''ART'''''''''''''
>>
>>84870824
It was successful but I don't think I'd say super successful. I imagine a lot, if not all, of the showings were sold out and a lot of that had to do with the novelty of it (an R rated animated Batman movie based on a popular book with a theatrical release) and the very limited release (smaller number of screens, one night only, only one or two showings per cinema). It still seems like something very niche and I don't know if the numbers would be much higher if it had more showings or a more regular release schedule.

That being said the production budget was only $3 million so even if it did only slightly better it still would be a financial success and that might encourage WB to try this again with another animated DC adaptation. It certainly could be something they could expand on but I don't think it would be profitable unless they kept the budgets small.
>>
>>84873276
oh and mask of the phantasm
>>
>>84870824

Well, the added material is at least pretty good. It's unnecessary, but it's still fairly decent.
>>
>>84873359
>It certainly could be something they could expand on but I don't think it would be profitable unless they kept the budgets small.
plus they're going to run out of good old comic stories to plunder
>>
>>84872913
most casuals remember btas.
>>
For once I'm glad I watched the leak. I normally like doing these one night events, but I would have been so pissed if I went to the theater and watched this butchery on screen.
>>
>>84873421
>It's unnecessary, but it's still fairly decent.

That sounds contradictory to me.
>>
>>84873343
Okay now go cry in the corner, "muh Barbara ruined the movie"
>>
>>84873503
How so ? The killing joke part of the movie was good I think he means that, he doesn't care for the prologue
>>
>>84873503

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake was well acted, directed and written. It was a good movie. It was still totally unnecessary, seeing as how it was basically a word-for-word adaptation of the original film adaptation.
>>
>>84873438
But not that Mark Hamill was in it.

We're talking about walk-ins who were just looking for something to do supplementing the first-night superfans who don't want to miss it or be the only guy in the theater (which is how a lot of even very popular movies are shown during daytime). Maybe they see a poster, maybe they see an online ad, whatever - but of the tens of millions of people who watched BTAS, there is clearly no sign.

>>84873395
>>84873276
weird that you'd only count three of the four of his good movies and then list all those bad ones

you'd have been better off listing the times he's played himself
>>
>>84873624
it's 2016, if you're going to have sex on camera you've got to at least go anal
>>
File: 54q5q5e.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
54q5q5e.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>mfw DCfags are so starved for a good movie they're willing to give money to this shit and pretend garbage it's gold
This is just sad at this point.
I'm hoping Suicide Squad is good if only to give them something to actually be proud of this year
>>
>>84874196
>it's the current year meme
>anal not meme sex

Jesus, anon, step your game up.
>>
>>84874360
I read the killing joke. it was neat and all, but it was basically just "edgy shit happens, good guys show they won't let it fuck them up, the end kinda falls apart"
but I wanna see this because it has hamill and conroy
i would listen to them reading the phone book
>>
>>84874501
Just look them up on YT, that won't cost you anything or shit one of the most important Batman stories ever created.
>>
>>84870824
It's over ... /Pol/ won ...
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.