[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /co/ when did you start reading comics? Why did you start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

Okay /co/ when did you start reading comics? Why did you start reading them? and what keeps you reading them? inb4 escapism
>>
>>84640690
I started this year when SW 7 came out.

Bceuase the hype

I already stopped, Comics are now full of SWJ, Cringy talk and 90% of all of them are Hero Comics.
>>
>>84640758
/thread
>>
>>84640690
Grow up with manga back in China
Came to America around Nu52 and started reading comics

I still do, but dropped Marvel
>>
>>84640690
Aliens
Aliens and predators
>>
File: Varrick_looking_smug.png (109KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Varrick_looking_smug.png
109KB, 444x250px
>>84640690
I would stop at a book story when going to school at 16 to read all their comics.

Them I managed to get a lot of stuff for free, and got more into it.

So I kept pirating it here.

I read because reading stories is fun.
>>
I started after seeing Spider-Man (2002)
I'm not sure what keeps me reading them, but it probably has something to do with the fact that I browse /co/ for 1-3 hours a day
>>
>>84640758
>90% of all of them are Hero Comics

Most comics are sci-fi, fantasy, or hipster faggotry. Only two companies are cape publishers, three if you count Valiant. Most books are non-cape.
>>
File: 1338889126125.png (310KB, 397x601px) Image search: [Google]
1338889126125.png
310KB, 397x601px
>>84640858
>I browse /co/ for 1-3 hours a day

>not literally LIVING on 4chan like people used to do back in the day before moot banned "board culture"
>>
>>84640690
I started reading comics with my parents's super old Peanuts collections. In 1999-2002, I was reading NML and Bruce Wayne: Murderer at the library. When I got to college in 2004, TPBs were a huge thing in bookstores, and I read a ton there, and I was hooked!

I stay because I love certain characters (Stephanie Brown, Helena Bertinelli, Mary Jane Watson).
>>
>>84640690
When I was rally small with Disney Comics.
But if you're referring just to capeshit it was around the 90's with X-Men
>>
File: PANTHERinterior_25.jpg (1MB, 2000x1643px) Image search: [Google]
PANTHERinterior_25.jpg
1MB, 2000x1643px
I started in like 2004 as a kid because it was a plastic man comic and I thought it looked cool, I read them because of the art mostly, subject matter and execution come into place but I don't put them ahead of how much I enjoy the art
>>
>>84640690
about three years ago
web of shadows made me wanna read more spider-man
I love all the unique circumstances that are only possible when you have fifty years of continuity spanning many different writers to work from, the way metacommentary and character development bleed together into some crunchy deepest lore when the right writer comes along
>>
Got into the MCU, came here for the movie threads, started reading storytimes and gradually got more into comics.

Thanks for being nice to newfags /co/, all those recommendations when I started reading helped a lot.
>>
>>84640690
>>When did you start reading
I think around 1996
>>Why did you start reading
I was bored while at my grandma's house, and found some shit with superheroes on it that caught my interest
>>What keeps me reading
Good art and clever/comfy dialogue
>>
I started with Chew, Hack/Slash and Ultimate Spider-man in like 2010 or something. I have no idea why other than Hack/Slash which I started cause I wanted to read some cheesecake. Not a very good reason in retrospect.

>>84640785
no fuck off
>>
>>84640690
Met a guy who also was interested in comics, but neither of us took the step into actual comic book readings.

Interest mostly, I don't read anything special, just Injustice, some nu52 and Rebirth.
>>
I was a kid, my mom bought me clone saga, i laready loved the cartoons so i fucking ate them all.

i was like 11 or something when reading the carnage shit by ellis.
boy it fucked me up good.

fast forward to now, i'm tired of the unending battle but i read the pretentious hipster shit that will END!... if the creators care to do so.
>>
>>84641093
They got the gist of it by the time Whities found 'em.
>>
>>84641093
the black panther of the time beat everyone up.
>>
I've been reading for a little over a decade (even longer if I include manga). The art interested me at first. I keep reading because it became my entertainment medium of choice.
>>
>>84641131
It was certainly a bit of both. Once they found the Maleria vaccine they could go in guns a blazin.
>>
It was a little before Fear Itself happened. I can't remember what year that was.

I was at the library and picked up a few trades because I couldn't find anything else that looked interesting. Few months later I had read all they had and went to my LCS for more.

I don't know. I don't think I can stop.
>>
>>84640690
>when did you start reading comics?

LONG time ago. I'm old as fuck.

>Why did you start reading them?

I used to be a hobo drifter. In the day we would wander the countryside doing crazy shit like exploring abandoned places or walking miles into the woods with no idea of how to get back and having to live off the land until we rediscovered civilization. Or we'd just break stuff and camp out in sandlots or sleep on top of people's sheds. Whichever. Meat a lot of people that you'd never believe were real, like a guy who thought he was a superhero like that Artie guy from Pete & Pete, exactly like that in fact even with the suburban setting and everything. Used to hang out with a lot of midgets and retards. Tried to become the new Slim Jim spokesperson (unsuccessfully). Got into an amateur competitive farting league at one point. Crazy times.

Anyway, all we had in those days to keep us company was a can opener and raggy Superman comics. We'd just eat beans and talk about who we'd kill if we were The Punisher.

But anyway now I'm getting nostalgic. Point was those were some fucked days, but we had a lot of adventures and read a lot of comic books. And Wizard Magazine once that came out.

>what keeps you reading them?

Ain't got nothing else to do, nigga.
>>
>>84641131
well, people from one tribe would trade away POW's from rival tribes
>>
>>84640690
Started reading when I was 6 (about 13 years ago now), used to pick up back issues of Peter Parker: Spider-Man and those double-sided Ultimate comics (mostly USM, a little Ultimate F4 and Ultimate X-Men too though).
Never really got into DC as a kid, always felt like their stuff was way too complicated (bearing in mind I was just a kid and stuff like Final Crisis and 52 would've been way too heavy for me).
Got into DC during just before Flashpoint with the War of the Green Lanterns, never looked back since. I mostly read DC these days, but I still read back issues going as far back as the Golden Age whenever I can.
>>
>>84640690
Early 90's
Used to be I could go to the dollar store and get a stack of comics.

Lots of crazy sci-fi and fantasy antics

I don't know. Big2 tends to piss me off for a few months but every now and again I see something recommended here like Animal Man and start reading again.
>>
>>84640690
>Okay /co/ when did you start reading comics?
Started reading the Dragon Ball manga at 8 years old along with Asterix (I live in a french country) and a few other BD. Starting at 12, my older brother had like 4 volumes of Inu Yasha and the complete collection of Blame! so I also read that. Blame! particularly hooked me and I started buying books around that while getting the popular series at the time (Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Battle Royale).

At 17, my friend came back from a trip in New York and brought me Watchmen. It was my first american comic book and that followed with everything I could find by Moore and any Batman or Superman trades that were in store. I recently got into Marvel when they did their first Marvel Now! but I'm probably gonna drop them as soon as I'm done collecting the remaining trades to finish my ongoing series.

I like the medium and I like to see how every nationalities (japanese, americans, british, french and so on) interprets it. There is so many differences between a manga and a BD that it seems incomparable but yet, it still basically remains the same thing. Everyone one has something to bring in this art and that makes for something really rich. Collecting comic book, beyond the big two or mainstream stuff, is like discovering each time another piece that constitute a bigger world. Comic books represents humanity as a collective.

>What keeps you reading them?
Because everyone worthwhile as something new to bring to the table. The medium is always evolving and I want to see where it goes.
>>
>>84640758
So why are you here?
>>
>>84640690
Capes specifically? The mid-'90s due to the X-Men and Batman cartoons with the first comic I ever bought (well, my mom let me buy since I was still a kid) was Generation X #6. I didn't get a lot of comics at the time for that reason though but got the cards and played all the games and shit and did what I could to try and keep up with things that were happening.

By the time I was in high school and able to buy my own comics, I started around 2003 or so with New Mutants v2.

I don't read as much comics anymore because I'm mainly an X-Fag and the X-Men have been so shit on the last few years with terrible books and now whatever the fuck they're currently doing that it's killed a lot of my interest since I'm not into indie stuff.
>>
My path went: Beano > Our Wullie/The Broons > Calvin & Hobbes > 2000AD > manga > eurocomics > American markets. I still read new stuff of all of the last three, I dropped out on 2000AD a while ago but I have love for its best strips.

When I got into American stuff I started with like Preacher, Watchmen, Sandman, a lot of Ellis comics. I didn't really read cape stuff until a year or two after.
>>
Freshman Year of high school, I sat next to a kid that always bought Tradeback books to class Our teacher sucked ass and just made us watch movies instead of actually teaching anyways we started talking and he lent me some of his Batman books and that same year my sister moved into NYC and there was a LCS a block away from her apartment so that just gave me more opportunities

> Why did you start reading them?

I got really invested into the characters and the wacky adventures they went through, Welcome Back Frank will forever remain one of my favorite arcs in comics because it's one of the first stories i read and fell in love with

>what keeps you reading them?

Too invested in my favorite characters to really stop
>>
>>84640690
I started whenever the first Star Wars Tales trade came out, 2001-2002 I think? I just really liked Star Wars.

I'm still reading them because holy fuck there's so many good comics you guys
>>
>>84640690
>Okay /co/ when did you start reading comics?
5 or 6 years ago, freshman in high school. I had read a few comics as a kid but didnt start actively reading them until 14

Kick Ass came out and brought comics to the normies

>and what keeps you reading them?
I like the stories, humor, and escapism.
>>
>>84641790
>when I got into American stuff I started with the British authors
I know what you meant but it's still funny
>>
>>84640690
I started reading them in 2003/2004; my gf was huge into Magic: the Gathering and she played in a gameshop/comic book store combo, one night I was waiting for her to finish in a tourney and I picked up a Thunderbolts issue. I keep reading them for the same reasons I read any other type of fiction.
>>
>>84640758
Fpbp
>>
>>84642109
>girlfriend playing in MTG tournament while boyfriend flips though a comic book because he's bored
Are you from some sort of Bizarro world
>>
>>84640690
I started reading at around 9 years old or so in 89 probably.

Back then I read because I thought the super heroes and the super villains were cool. I loved the art And the fantastical stories and the style of it all. Got into marvel with spider-man and silver surfer and have been a marvelfag ever since.
I still read them for the same reasons as when in was a kid and more.
I also now enjoy non cape books and the kind of storytelling the medium provides. I love how even the panels and their placement And emphasis is a form of art in and of itself. I love the self referential metacommentary from folks like Morrison. Or even just the simplicity of the hero saving the day by punching the bad guy in his Turkey neck or else extending a helping hand to someone in need.

I love that spiderman is still crackingwise, surfer is still lamenting over the foolishness of mankind, the flash is still doing the impossible, superman is still a beacon of all the good qualities a human can possess, batman is still a pinnacle of human excellence constantly on the edge of sanity. Same with moon knight...but over at edge. I love the no nonsense cruelty of te punisher, and the familial bonds of the fantastic four. I love seeing grand villains carrying out grand schemes, mad scientists, cruel alien overlords, strange mystical realms, and cool vehicles and gadgets.

I honestly love comics today with a passion as great as when I was a child. Read em every day. And living homeless on the street they're honestly what keeps me sane. They let me forget about the crack and spice heads, the heat, the shitty food, the hopelessness and sense of rejection that settles like a fog on you. Instead I'm with aquaman trying to broker a peace between the sea and surface, or Kamala Khan just trying to balance being a hero and a teen.
So yeah I guess escapism too.
>>
Been reading stuff on and off for roughly a decade now. Started reading because the cartoons were GOAT, keeps reading because some books are interesting and because I don't have enough time to read proper books these days.
>>
>>84642345
She played a monoblack zombie deck.
>>
>>84640690
>when
somewhere around 2000, i think it was thanks to the xmen movies, irnoically i dont like xmen comics
>why
mom was going to a beauty salon and needed something to waste time on, so she bought me a couple of comics for that
>why am i doing this to myself?
espc.. am, i mean they are fun stories and and i want to learn how to draw in that format some day
>>
>>84641668
Movies and cartoons
>>
heh OP's picture got deleted
>>
I can't pinpoint the timeframe but the very first comic I purchased was the spider-man issue when the carnage symbiote bonded to the silver surfer and became the Carnage Cosmic. It happened look it up.
>>
>>84640690
When I was about seven or eight
Why did you start reading them?
I liked the X-Men, Spider-Man, and DC cartoons
what keeps you reading them?
I don't really have a reason, if there's a story that interests me I'll read it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.