[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's all this motherfuckers fault.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: AlJean.jpg (254KB, 761x525px) Image search: [Google]
AlJean.jpg
254KB, 761x525px
It's all this motherfuckers fault.
>>
Didn't he give us the Critic?
>>
I'd say it was more Mike Scully's.
>>
>>84382577
Yes, and it sucked. Never have I seen so many jokes fall flat.
>>
You're all wrong, it's the fault of people who actually still watch Simpsons.
>>
>>84382591
Scully may have been the cause of the decline, but Al Jean's 15+ year reign on the show has done absolutely nothing to make it better.
>>
File: tumblr_lkdpw84YY01qd58j4o1_500.gif (496KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkdpw84YY01qd58j4o1_500.gif
496KB, 500x385px
Man I've been watching old Simpsons eps and I love old and new, I don't really understand the haters. The Simpsons has always been a satire of television at the time. The only difference between then and now is most of you were kids and didn't catch the references to Cheers, Taxi, Dick Van Dyke, Honeymooners, Brady Bunch, etc.

The only noticeable difference in structure is that older episodes tend to be more focused on telling a story than getting a punchline out in every scene, but that, too, is a reflection of contemporary television. Ever since Seinfeld, modern sitcoms build every scene as a setup to a punchline. Shows like Family Guy, South Park, It's Always Sunny and *retch* Big Bang Theory (the Simpson's current contemporaries) completely inflated that structure and the show reflects that.

Sure, there's the odd satire of non-comedy shows that come along as the writers think of jokes involving them, including current politics, network news shows, and heavy hitter dramas ranging from blockbuster Hollywood to cable shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

I really don't get the "Simpsons needs to end" folks either. The beautiful thing about the Simpsons is that it doesn't ever have to end, as they always have content to draw on for satire. Sure it's hit and miss with every episode, but the same is true of every season (with the arguable exception of the first). Even this most recent season had one of the most brilliant, touching character driven episodes the series has seen in a while; "Halloween of Horror".
>>
>>84383331
Get off of /co/, Al.
>>
>>84383358
Meh, fwiw I think Al Jean's kind of a dope. When you see him in interviews it's clear he just wants the show to be an expensive megaphone for the writer's jokes, rather than trying to push the show in a tonally consistent direction.

The benefit of his approach is you sometimes get writers that turn in episodes that are fully conscious of who the characters are and why they're that way, but you also get a lot of "lol meme" from the writers whose hobbies are almost entirely congruent with the average 4chan anon (i.e. masturbating to hentai and anonymously shitposting in public forums)
>>
>>84383021
Al Jean years are much better than Scully years.

>>84383331
I honestly agree. I never watched it growing up and I'm seeing both the old and the new right now. I honestly don't see a BIG difference. Except the teen seasons where everything is weird.
>>
>>84385026
>I honestly agree. I never watched it growing up and I'm seeing both the old and the new right now. I honestly don't see a BIG difference.

I'm not being antagonistic here, but you must be a fucking idiot.
>>
>>84383331

Thanks for pointing out why old Simpsons is better and concluding, said reasons don't count.
>>
>>84382502
Regardless of context, if you posted that guy's face and told me "It's all this motherfuckers fault." I'd be inclined to believe you.
>>
>>84382606
not a fan of dry humor i see
>>
>>84386300
You really ought to do like I and >>84385026 have done, and *actually* watch the first few seasons of this show with today's eyes. You'll be surprised how seldom you laugh out loud. It's not a sin to be critical of your own nostalgia.

It's brilliantly written, but its more just satire played straight with occasional cartoon wackiness. Next to modern seasons, it's not radically different. I'll admit, the flanderization is a real thing but it's not the only show that suffers from it, nor is it the worst.

Also I know this is 4chan, but you could try to argue a point instead of ad hominem.

>>84387573
If you think old Simpsons is better, do you think old TV is better too? Because imo it is what it is. There's always good and bad, it's just easier to see what was good in the past because hindsight.
>>
>>84388051
dry humor? More like try humor
>>
>>84389344
I can sort of agree with wha your saying. I watched a lot of the teen seasons of the Simpsons while it was on TV, and I found myself liking it more often than not, but that may have also been because I watched the reruns at the same time and never really checked to see what season it was.

It wasn't till years later that i sat down and watched the older seasons in their entirety, and while i could appreciate what they were doing, I didn't find the first 2 seasons that funny. Around season 3and 4 things started to pick up and get funnier.

I disagree though that Simpsons is only a satire, as a lot of the modern shows you mentioned feel like they take a lot of influence from the Simpsons. Watching seasons 3-9, the jokes, structure and setup of scenes in those episodes are very similar to modern comedies, which were written by people who I'm sure grew up watching the Simpsons.

Maybe the reason people don't enjoy modern Simpsons as much is similar to why many people don't enjoy Seinfeld: what once was new and innovative was adopted by others who did it better. Simpsons style humor is kind of the norm now, but newer show writers realize this and either try to push it even further or put new spins on it.

The Simpsons hasn't really changed that much in it's 20+ years on TV, but TV comedy has adapted and evolved and the Simpsons just doesn't stand out anymore.
>>
>>84382502
It's really not. A number of factors led to Simpsons becoming shit. He deserves some blame, but not all.

https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs1/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.