[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Air "Nomads" >with permanent temples

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 17

File: AirTemple.jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
AirTemple.jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
>Air "Nomads"
>with permanent temples
>>
>>83966464
Those are really only for paperwork. Ya know citizenship and stuff.
>>
>>83966464
Do you think the entire Air nation lived in those four tiny temples?
>>
>>83966544
Why else would genocide be so easy?
>>
>>83966464
Look if you sit and meditate on a mountain long enough, legally you'll own it.

Plus not every air nation person could airbend, so I'm sure many of them weren't traveling people.
>>
>>83966544

>Do you think the entire Air nation lived in those four tiny temples?

Actually yes I did think that.

I always figured that the Airbenders were a pretty small group. How else could they have been wiped out so easily?
>>
>>83966464
Yeah, those liars should live eternally in the air, floating like a fucking cloud, how dare they!
>>
>>83966571
>Plus not every air nation person could airbend,
Factually incorrect.
>>
>>83966464
The majority of them traveled from temple to temple. How the Fire Nation managed to wipe them all out is a total mystery tho. I remember seeing a theory that the genocide destroyed their spirits and they failed to produce bender children and over time they faded.

>>83966571
Actually, iirc, all nomads were Airbenders before the extermination.
>>
>Genocide 1/4 of the planet over the course of a generation

Completely fucking illogical
>>
>>83966687
The Air Nomads were likely the smallest of the four nations. It's probably more like 1/10.
>>
>>83966464
>>83966589
Actually, only the kids and the eldest lived on the Temples. Masters and teenagers had to go around the world as nomads, until old age, when they go live on the Temples and teach the younger generation.

Its not a hard concept.

>>83966589
About being wiped out, there was a non specified canon card game with some informations, among them the fact that the Fire Nation made "safe locations" for the nomads that were actually traps to attract airbenders. False Temples and camps for refugees.

They impersonated safe places where air benders were hiding, and killed them. Even if it isnt canon, its one good idea on how things might have worked.
>>
>>83966464
Many nomads have several permanent sites that they use in different seasons.
>>
I don't know if this has been covered or what, but how are air nomad babies born? I thought monks can't have sex? Where do they come from then?
>>
>>83966902
>I thought monks can't have sex?
Who said that?
>>
>>83966687
Industrial genocide isn't that difficult.
Millions of jews were killed in only a few short years.
>>
>>83966976
Besides, air benders have literally a big arrow pointing to them.
>>
>>83966657
Their low population, low population density, and highly fragmented society means that if the Fire Nation can take one temple without anyone escaping they've got a while before any other Air Nomads will realize what is going on. Their continuing migration means that small groups of Air Nomads will continue to arrive at the Fire Nation occupied temple and be killed for awhile before they realize something is wrong. After that it's a matter of isolating their temples and exterminating the sky bison to prevent mass movement.
>>
>>83966902

Did you just forget the part where Aang had multiple children?
>>
>>83966589
Because they're a bunch of fucking hippies
>>
>>83967037
Didn't they say the Fire Nation launched simultaneous attacks on the temples on the day of the comet? I want to say it was either in the Footloose episode or the episode about Zuko's grandfathers.
>>
>>83966902
They can have sex and relationships. They just traditionally raise children as a community instead of as a family unit
>>
>>83966975
I thought all monks were celibates?
>>83967038
I figured Aang was the exception cause the entire air nomad people were slaughtered.
>>
>>83966464
Nomad doesn't mean no-Steady place to live.

They probably migrated around each temple.
>>
>>83967167
Thank you. I've been wondering about this for a while. Is this cannon though? Or is it your own theory? I mean its honestly the only theory that sounds plausible.
>>
>>83967243
No, there is no indication the Air Nomads had restrictions on gender relations. Monks and gurus in our world aren't even celibate. I'm sure if you go back through history you'll find sects and orders that get freaky.
>>
>>83966464
Children are raised at the temples. When they reach adulthood/become masters they go out and see the world and sow their seed, dumping children off back at a temple.
When they grow old they return to the temple to train the children.
>>
>>83967243
Monks choose not to be slaves to their physical desires.

Wanting a kid and to raise them is not entirely a physical desire, it's already genetic imperative to protect the young, even if they're not your own.
>>83967294
>Is this cannon though? Or is it your own theory?
Not that guy but considering that Aang says "the monks raised him" and that we hear not a peep about any parents, it seems understandable.
>>
>>83967294
*canon
>>
File: Ozai2.png (299KB, 539x537px) Image search: [Google]
Ozai2.png
299KB, 539x537px
>Still believing the nomadhoax

Yeah, an entire nation of flying nomads was hunted down and/or tricked into being killed by the Fire Nation, the same nation that which did not possess any air power at all until a century later

Do tell how they managed to attack all the temples? Hell at least 2 of the temples looked untouched, the only ones with evidence of Fire Nation activity were the Southern temple, which is where Aang is from so thats to be expected, and the Northern temple, which was actually empty before it was settled and the Fire Nation started threatening them. The only other temple the Fire Nation set foot in was the western temple and that was well after this supposed genocide.

Clearly what happened was the Fire Nation attacked the southern temple to capture the next Avatar, and airbenders, being nomadic as they are, fled and told their fellow airbenders of the attack. After this they most likely sought refuge in the Earth Kindom, hiding their identities as to not draw attention from the Fire Nation, and over a century their culture and teachings were lost. If nobody ever told you your heritage you wouldn't know what you were, would you?
>>
>>83966902
You're making an assumption about a fictional culture, based on an assumption about a real culture that you're not fully informed of. Like you said if that were true, the entire race would die off with only ever having 1 generation.
>>
>>83967393
Oh boy another Airocaust denier.
>>
>>83967308
Well the Air Temples were sex segregated.

Males in the North and South, females in the East and West. I assume that having to travel across continents discouraged regular hookups between Air Nomads or encouraged homosexuality and hooking up with locals from other Nations
>>
File: Ozai.png (72KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ozai.png
72KB, 333x250px
>>83967432
Oh yeah, because airbenders "magically" coming back after "Harmonic Convergence" totally isnt convenient or ridiculous. Obviously they were all airbenders to begin with, and the White Lotus concocted this entire scheme to bring down the Fire Nation and keep it weak, which is exactly what happened. Zuko and Izumi are incredibly ineffective leaders and the Fire Nation is in massive debt, the White Lotus own the banks and the media. Of course with the Fire Nation in disrepair the Earth Queen was ready to fill the void, and thus was assassinated by Zaheer, a former White Lotus member, though he went rogue and was captured, and his accomplices executed to tie up loose ends. They of course did not expect Kuvira to rise up afterwards, but you already saw their work popping up, what with all those stories of "concentration camps". Where were these camps? Probably next to the Air Nomad mass graves I'm guessing
>>
>>83967540
I didn't remember that. Like someone said the temples were mostly children and elders, so I'd say most of the hooking up came about on the roads between temples. Either that or that was the purpose of traveling from temple to temple.
>>
Reminder Fire Nation got no punishment aside from losing their colonies
>>
>>83967971
They got Zuko as a Firelord and they became globalist cucks
>>
>>83968010
Everyone is a globalist cuck and it only seems like something is funny because the prince of the Fire Nation is an admiral for the united army
>>
>>83966464
The Mongols were nomadic and they build several permanent settlements and cities under their rule.
>>
>>83968195
Pure coincidence you say?
>>
So who is getting wiped out the next time Sozin's Comet comes back?
>>
>>83966464

>What are pilgrimage centers and cultural nurseries.

you gotta think before posting OP.
>>
>>83968484
Well that should be about ~25 years after LoK, during Korra's lifetime

So based on her track record, Everyone.
>>
>>83967432
>muh 600,000 air benders

Aang and his buddies faked "evidence" and greatly exaggerated the numbers to justify Republic Cities existence.
>>
>>83966976
Trillions of Jews, goy
>>
>>83968535
Some Red Lotus agent is just waiting for Sozin's Comet to come around so he can get a cheap shot in and kill her without any effort.
>>
>>83966902
Monks and nuns are raffled into couples, fuck until she's pregnant, baby's born, they split and continue Air Nomading and baby is raised by monks.
>>
>>83967393
I know the joke is "fantasy holocaust denial" but that makes sense.
>>
>>83968839
What if a monk and a nun want to raise an individual family?
>>
Fire nation airocaust deniers need to leave this thread now

I'm an educated northern watertribe bender and this is really triggering me
>>
>>83966976
but not all of them. that's the important part.
>>
>>83968958
why would they want to? that's not a norm in their society.
>>
>>83969071
Same reason why Aang would want to start a nuclear family with Katara rather than spreading the air gene inside as many women as possible.
>>
>>83968958
They don't. Sex Ed in Air Monastaries is VERY emotionless. Sex is seen as a purely reproductive act.
>>
>>83968972
>educated northern watertribe
I didn't know you needed to go to school to learn how to properly fuck your sister and how to club baby turtle-seals
>>
>>83966464
>Balance
>The light should always win
>>
>>83966464
>Show is called The Last Airbender
>Aang's not actually the last airbender
WOOOOOWW
>>
>>83969269
you're thinking of the south tribe, anon.
>>
>>83966902
I assumed that the island chains where the temples were located were large enough to host a population of nomadic peasants who had normal families. a % of the children would be handed over to the monks to train as airbending masters, but most air nomads would have grown up in normal families that moved around their barren island chains in search of food, probably following the seasonal ebb and flow of fisheries. i find it implausible that an entire ethnic group could be trained in four temple facilities as children, then retire en masse to those same four building complexes in old age. the monks and children in the temple must have just been a sort of religious order, and the reason we only get their perspective of Air Nomad life is because that's the only life Aang ever knew.
>>
File: Hunky Watertribe bf.jpg (853KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hunky Watertribe bf.jpg
853KB, 1000x1000px
>>83966863
Damn, we need more hourglass r63Aang
>>
>>83969955
Oh sorry.

I didn't know you needed to go to school to learn how to properly rape, then beat-up your sister and how to club baby tiger-seals
>>
>>83966464
I assumed they moved from temple to temple with the seasons.
>>
>>83966566
They were a relatively peaceful nation. Genocide would be pretty easy on buddhist monks nowadays.
>>
>>83967971
The Earth and Water tribes should've taken a bunch of Fire Nation land and made them pay off the damage they caused. Not so flameo now, eh hotman?
>>
>>83968535
>during Korra's lifetime
Fantastic, and you just know she'll be the one to exterminate a race of people this time around.
>>
>>83970250
Tell that to China with their Taiwan problem.
>>
>>83968010
the impression i got is that they are basically still running the world behind the scenes. the UR navy was mostly firebenders and the prince of the fire nation was the republic's highest ranking commander. the fire nation probably never even downsized its own military, in addition to running the republic's. the united republic is still effectively their colony, kind of like how france officially ended colonial rule in west africa but still run the whole region behind the scenes
>>
>>83970090
And who told you there were schools in the south tribe?
>>
It really did not make sense how there were no airbenders in hiding. They could have just disguised themselves as other people & hid their bending ability.

According to official sources for the original series, apparently all offspring of airbenders were also airbenders. Because airbenders were, by nature, flaky, you would think airbender dudes would travel town to town hooking up with some whores that a few of them would successfully father a bastard.
>>
>>83967632
>he doesn't know about Pon Farr
>>
>>83968535
Korra would get convinced to pull the comet towards the planet of some shit
>>
>>83970549
Also reminder that Tenzin basically got to do whatever he wanted as a world leader at the start of Korra when he represented just his wife and kids

Then the Air Nation becomes the world police and everyone just has to bend over

Nobody says nothing about the second point
>>
>>83967243
>I thought all monks were celibates?
You are too fixed on christian understanding of monks

Eastern monks can have sex, can wage wars, can drink and can self-immolate
>>
>>83970549
Isn't that what happened to the Colonies that eventually became the United Republic?
>>
File: relics 1.jpg (318KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 1.jpg
318KB, 1089x1634px
>>
File: relics 2.jpg (277KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 2.jpg
277KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974060
>>
File: relics 3.jpg (252KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 3.jpg
252KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974065
>>
File: relics 4.jpg (280KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 4.jpg
280KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974080
>>
File: relics 5.jpg (277KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 5.jpg
277KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974095
>>
File: relics 6.jpg (269KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 6.jpg
269KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974105
>>
File: relics 7.jpg (272KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 7.jpg
272KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974139
>>
File: relics 8.jpg (301KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 8.jpg
301KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974146
>>
File: relics 9.jpg (355KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 9.jpg
355KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974156
>>
File: relics 10.jpg (276KB, 1089x1634px) Image search: [Google]
relics 10.jpg
276KB, 1089x1634px
>>83974166
>>
>>83974175
Well that's depressing
>>
>>83967160
Yes, and in some of the comics you find out that the genocide wasn't just settled in that one raid.

The Comet Day attacks wiped out a decent chunk of the AN, especially most of their more powerful leaders, and they spent years afterwards laying traps to capture and kill the rest.

Apparently one tactic was paying locals to spread fake rumors about Airbender survivors, in the hopes of getting real survivors to gather in the area and then be taken out all at once.
>>
>>83974223
How did the Fire Nation figure out that the Avatar hadn't just been reborn in the Water Tribe?
>>
>>83974286
Because the cycle goes fire, air, water, earth. The last avatar; Roku, was fire.
>>
>>83974357
I meant after the Air Nomads had been wiped out.

How did they know they weren't successful in killing the Air Nomad Avatar ?
>>
>>83974286
>>83974400

They didn't know.
At the end of Avatar and the Fire Lord, Sozin heads towards the SWT and it was part of the justification for the Fire Nation killing all the waterbenders there.

They were laying traps for the remaining Air Nomads, killing any bender they could find in the South and trying to invade the North, just to cover their bases.
>>
>>83972142
>Korra puts the comet in orbit around the planet
>declares it the 6th nation
>>
>>83974197
Genocide usually is.
>>
>>83970250
Yet Yangchen was one of the most violent Avatars ever.
>>
>>83974616
Yangchen wasn't some violent monster, she was just really, REALLY good at her job.
Then a typical water tribe Avatar came next and had to fuck it all up like usual.
>>
>>83974616
We don't know exactly how violent Yangchen was, we just know she was good at keeping the peace. She was more violent than Aang/the average Air Nomad but was she more violent than most Avatars?
And besides, the reason she was able to be more ruthless than Aang is because the Air Nomads weren't under any threat in her life, they'd survive with or without her, so she could relinquish their philosophy a little and commit to the Avatar thing more. Aang didn't have that luxury, he carried the future of the Air Nomads on his shoulders and needed to act accordingly.

>>83974681
Kuruk wasn't actually outright awful, he just didn't have anything to do in his era. The only thing that went wrong on any significant scale was Koh fucking with his wife's face and that only really effects Kuruk. On a wider scale, Yangchen's peace endured until Chin the Conqueror and Kyoshi completely botching that entire incident.
>>
File: 1466407423295.jpg (55KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466407423295.jpg
55KB, 640x640px
>>83966464
After the Harmonic convergence, alot of people suddenly became benders, specifically air benders.

I believe that normal humans contain the necessary genes to become any type of bender, but arent active. Thus harmonic convergence activated this gene. Similar to a solar eclipse blocking the sun and causing fire benders to lose their bending. The sun activates this gene and allows them to bend, this we can infer that without it, thus they are still benders, but the protein (sun) to activate this gene is no longer there.

Also when that General killed one of the fish, a spirit of the moon, and "killed" the moon or at least mortally injured it, thus the sky turned red like blood and blocking the light reflecting off the moon. Waterbenders were no longer able to bend due to no longer being affect by the moon as something in the atmosphere was blocking it.

Finally, each of the benders live in a society that suits their powers. Water benders live in the poles, Earth in deserts and plains, Fire near volcanoes (the vacation island and where the eclipse invasion happened) and the Air tribes lived in the highest mountains, also in canyons where the wind goes down and is funneled like a sideways hurricane. Possibly these environments may increase the chances of activating these certain genes, but that mostly depends on your stance on Nature vs Nurture. Still I think a show as smart as ATLA wouldn't go for the cliche route of stereotypical elements=cities if not for a certain reason.

I think these events can prove either of these theories

1.Aang had multiple wives and spread his seed, passing down his air bending gene.

2.Humans carry the genes for bending and its not decided by magic mumbo jumbo.

3.Some air benders survived and during those 100 years before Aang, they had families and hid their powers from the rest of the world.

I prefer 3 because I think it would be cool to have a show where an air bender survived and tries to live a normal life.
>>
>>83966544
>>83966566
>>83970250

I like to think that the Air Temples and the monks who inhabited them only represented a fraction of the Air Nomad population. Like in Thailand, where most people become monks for a while but only some of them end up being monks for life.

>>83970665

Not all Asians are Buddhist. Taiwan's a mostly secular country.
>>
>>83966566
>Fire Nation genocides every Air Bender in the Fire Kingdom and parts of the Earth Kingdom they can find
>remaining Air benders flee to temples thinking it was a safe haven that the Fire Nation possibly couldn't get to
>they get to there and kill the air benders
that being said i find it weird even after 100 years that they were able to kill ALL air benders
seeing how they could have just as easily fled to Northern Water tribe, inner Earth Kingdom areas untouched by Fire Nation influence, like Ba Sing Se, the desert, swamp
but then again air benders dying was just a plot device
>>
>>83967971
their punishment was not getting to get featured in Korra (some punishment, but it would have still been nice to see what it'd look like in the next generation)
>>
>>83970250
>>83970250
> Genocide would be pretty easy on buddhist monks nowadays.
IRL, it's buddhist monks doing genociding usually
>>
>>83966464

>All the "Nomads' died in one attack
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.