[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this seriously a problem with the last Guardians movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: Gunn Female characters.png (73KB, 685x295px) Image search: [Google]
Gunn Female characters.png
73KB, 685x295px
Was this seriously a problem with the last Guardians movie?
>>
>>83904998
Does Gunn have any power over this?
>>
File: Jeff Shigging.jpg (39KB, 252x424px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff Shigging.jpg
39KB, 252x424px
>>83904998
>More DUDE I'M AN ANGRY BLUE BALD WOMAN LMAO
>>
Yeah, Gamora was cut out of a lot of stuff. Market segmentation is a bitch.
>>
There wasn't a lot of merch based around Gamora or Nebula, so yes.
>>
>>83905033
No one gave a shit about green ugly black widow.
>>
Yup, they conspicuously cut Gamora out of a lot of shit. Comforters, t-shirts, toys, and the like just excised her all together.

They do a similar thing for Avengers merch with Widow and now Wanda.
>>
>>83905038
Probably because 99% of the GOTG merchandise sales are Groot and Rocket.
>>
>>83904998
For a long time you could only get Groot, Drax, Starlord, and Rocket. Enough of a fuss was made that Gamora is now available. I'm not sure about Nebula, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is purchasable now.
>>
Nebula toys would be cool, especially if her limbs resetting were built into them.
>>
>>83904998
Yes
>>
Well, with the "GRILLS DONT LIKE ACTION MOVIES" shit, they are missing a lot of potential customers, both girls and dudes looking for a physical version of their waifu to hotglue
At best, they add girl merchandise, it's successful, they get more money and feminists pat themselves on the back. At worst, it's not successful, proves they're still firmly in "we whine about it but we won't actually support it" territory, and confirms the marketing dept's traditions as right.
>>
>>83905070
True, but having barely any merch for at least Gamora is a bit weird. She seems to have become decently popular off the movie.
>>
>>83904998
In as much as 'you only have merchandise of three of the six pivotal characters' can be a problem
>>
>>83905048
I mean it makes sense why she was cut out (they think there's not a market when it comes to boys merch with her on it), but it still happened. They're just trying to maximize their profits by fixing that for the second movie. If it doesn't sell they'll adjust again in the future. It's not a big deal.
>>
Gotta wonder how much money companies are losing because they are forced to push muh diversity.
>>
>>83905089
To be fair, you make it sound as if there's no consequence in the decision. If girl toys fail then that's money lost and in the long run it doesn't really convince dissenters of shit. Even if they're willing to bite the bullet so they can say they tried and then stop trying in future endeavors these people are hardly swayed by past events. Though really do kids even buy toys anymore? I thought the money was all in shitty phone games and apps.
>>
> there's going to be a bunch of merch of Mantis in stores
What a time to be alive.
>>
File: gotg.png (334KB, 690x525px) Image search: [Google]
gotg.png
334KB, 690x525px
>>83904998
It is an old mentality that products with girls/women on them will not sell to boys. Decades ago, waves of action figures would come with MAYBE one female figure, and it was always more rare since they'd only come one per case or box. Even stuff like a shot of the team on a t-shirt, they would remove Gamora from the team.
>>
>>83905260
Merchandise goes beyond toys. School supplies like backpacks and folders and shit make money too. And of course clothing.
>>
>>83905324
If Mantis has a design as ugly as Gamora's it's nothing to be excited about.
>>
>>83905387

Is there any evidence to suggest that it's a wrong assumption though?
>>
>>83905387
Isn't Barbie a giant "no" to that mentality or do people consider that an isolated case?
>>
>>83905448
Barbie doesn't sell the boys in large numbers and there are some parents who flat out won't buy Barbies for boys.

That's the main problem. Once you put anything for girls it's seen as a girl toy.
>>
>>83905387
From someone who complained to Children's Place, the company that made these and other shirts.

>>83905445
Hard to say. Maybe years ago, but it has been in place for a long time so there's no telling if things had changed. Companies won't risk losing a bunch of money to find out (until now maybe, if Gunn gets his way).
>>
>>83905153
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-earned-94-million-this-weekend-dot-now-what

>44% of the audience was female

I'd say they'd be making money.
>>
File: spacefu.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
spacefu.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
I wanted more of my waifu so I'm hype

>>83905324

I'm so happy for Steve Englehart
>>
>>83905448
Barbie is for girls, its only marketed towards girls, but superheros are still seen as 'boys only club' thing and apparently boys don't want female hero's too so no female action figures. There are some but they have one box versus every 20 Caps/IM.
>>
>>83904998
If I get Mantis merch I'll be happy :)
>>
>>83905153
>making merchandise based off one of the main characters is "muh diversity"
>>
>>83905324
>>83905415
>>83905519
She won't be barefoot, and she'll look as gross looking as gamora did. It's really nothing to get excited over.
>>
>>83905592
>She won't be barefoot

Good
>>
>>83905022
Probably not
>>
>>83904998
The fuck does Gunn have to do with toys?
For all I know, the toys aren't even in the same branch of the company as the movies.
>>
>>83905617
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>83905022
Probably not. But nobody thought that guardians was going to do as well as it did, and they thought it was going to do much worse with women than it did, so they were probably extra conservative on the merch.

>>83905445
Not much in the west. Even places like Sweden are heavily segregated, and that's with decades of hard pushing on this front.

The biggest counter example is Japan.

>>83905448
Barbie has pretty much never successfully sold to boys. At best they've made some inroads into the gay fashonista crowd, but that's even lower than girls into Hot Wheels.
>>
>>83905387
I just spent all of last weekend arguing with my mom about whether or not she bought me the Trini and Kimberly action figures to complete my Power Rangers set when I was 5 (she didn't but she swears she did) and her reasoning was some shit about she didn't think I wanted a girl toy and it has stuck with me for decades now.
Bitch it was a Power Ranger's toy.
>>
>>83905022
The guys at Marvel can't meddle anymore.
However, Disney still holds power over the movies.
>>
>>83905701
You're saying this like he's making the decision and not just that he might have been in a meeting with the marketing people once or twice. It's not that complicated.
>>
>>83905592
Zoe is neh looking and yeah they made her ugly with Gamors but Pom is cute so it will be hard to make her ugly.

I don’t care about the barefoot Mantis thing. She wasn't barefoot in DnA's run, also footfags are the worst.
>>
>>83905728
If only she knew ahead of time that you were in the closet.
>>
>>83905734
Ah, right. That sounds a whole lot more reasonable.
>>
>>83905740
>also footfags are the worst.
Yeah, why can't they be as sophisticated as us fart inflation furfag fetishists?
>>
>>83904998

I don't see how merchandising bullshit is a problem with the movie itself.
>>
>>83905701
He's the face of the movie production. He does have the power of the bully pulpit. And he gets to decide whether characters get emphasized and in what kind of light they're shown.

I mean he can make sure gamora or mantis or whoever get at least one good action figurey scene in, for a simple example.

Also, he's probably got an advance look at the merch.

>>83905792
Because professional whiners will go after any exposed target, and know jack shit about the industries they want to change.
>>
>>83904998
Disney bought Marvel and StarWars specifically to sell more merch to boys. What they they don't want is those IPs competing with their existing girls lines to the point where they have reduced or removed the role of female characters in some movies. The big bad in Iron Man 3 was originally a female scientist instead of Killian.
>>
>>83904998
It didn't have Mantis you quintuple faggot
>>
>>83905048
>ugly

dis nigga
>>
>>83905916
Gamora was fucking hideous, dude, and the prosthetic shit they put on her eyebrows made her look like a neanderthal.
>>
>>83904998
>merchandising debacle centering around the lack of Rey products.
I don't think it was that. Infact, I see plenty of Rey products sitting on the shelves at the store along with all of the other figures nobody wants even at the 50% off the store slapped onto them because the garbage is clogging the shelves and won't sell.
>>
Make more boy action figures.

Make more girl t-shirts.
>>
Who the fuck thinks this is a bad thing?
>>
>>83905073
Gamora was in the first waves of kid toys and Marvel Legends. Not as much as the boys but not non-existent either. Dunno what you're peddling.
>>
>>83905984
Just people who can't see beyond "wins" and "losses" in some internet war with SJWs.
>>
>>83904998
i dont get the problem
nobody liked gamora or nebula anyways
if there's a character girls want in their merch its most certainly Groot anyways
>>
>>83905941
>4/10 would not bang

You guys would make shitty space explorers.
>>
>>83905952
They were trying to downplay Rey before the film's release to make spoilers harder to piece together. The Rei stuff was set to come out a couple weeks after the film's release.
>>
>>83906030
They are reacting to the lack of Rey and Black Widow merch not necessarily to the GotG stuff.
>>
>>83906030
>girls make a fuss about wanting Gamora
>"nope you don't like Gamora cause I don't, you want Groot"

see this is why they make up stupid words like mansplaining
>>
>>83904998
It's gonna be hilarious seeing all those Gamora action figures gather dust on shelves with "75% OFF" signed on top.
>>
>>83906222
Girls should stop acting like retarded masses of hivemind drones then.
>>
>>83905952
This seems more an issue with the metric fuckton of Star Wars shit they dumped in stores than any particular character not being popular
>>
>>83904998
while everyone was bitching about the lack of Black Widow toys WB was shoving Barbie Wonder Woman all over the place so yeah, they need to somehow save face now
>>
>>83907234
Don't forget the DC Superhero Girls
>>
>>83906222
nah that was so they could win arguements by saying "muh vagina"
>>
>>83907340
That Katana doll looks so good. I'm upset it seems to be a con exclusive.
>>
>>83905592
>She won't be barefoot
Then she's not Mantis.
>>
the only real problem with GotG was that it had a shit villain.
otherwise its a pretty fun flick.

(also the marvel tie in stuff was awful)

Hopefully they cut that out of the sequel and give it a better plot.
>>
>>83905984
No problem with more Gamora merch. But designing products, licencing deals, managing production deadlines, coordinating with movie release dates, integrating with marketing campaigns is already fucking hard enough without considering the political needs of people who aren't your target market, and were probably weren't going to buy your product in the first place, and are easily triggered bitches who will fuck with whatever business partners are in reach?

Any time you get away from "Make shit that people want to buy", things get sideways really fast.

GOTG merch was made when the movie was tracking to be a who gives a fuck, and was made by people who don't have access to the script or movie. They ended up leaving some money on the table by being conservative. That's not some patriarchy conspiracy bullshit. It's a no brainer that they'll open it up more for the next movie.
>>
>>83905916
Gamora was not attractive in the movie, m8.
>>
>>83905048
Delete this.
>>
>>83907817

There was some shitstorm that happened about a lack of a female character figure they attacked the company about when it turns out the actress didn't approve her likeness being used so they didn't bother.

Toy industry is just as held up in red tape as any other industry.
>>
>>83907817

Isn't the consistent shitstorms over no girl toys showing that there's a want for these things? It's happened with Black Widow multiple times, Gamora, Rey, maybe other examples?
>>
Fuck the females and the males
Give me more raccoon and tree
>>
>>83908306
I like how you think
>>
>>83908306

i'm pretty sure i read Groot is gonna be all over all the merch
>>
File: black-widow-toys[1].jpg (75KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
black-widow-toys[1].jpg
75KB, 640x456px
>>83908232
The activists, and the people with the megaphones aren't the people buying the shit, or bothering their parents to buy the shit, and they're not strong influences either, even less so when you get out of the ettingvile anime club level and into the mass market.

This is proven time and again in the sales numbers. Specific example. There actually is a significant amount of black widow merch made. If there was pent up demand for the stuff, you would expect people to cross toy lines and get, something from some other figure line, say disney infinity, I know, bad example, but whatever.

But she sells like garbage. Even the boost with replacement product sales she still sells poorly. Bad enough that it's not worth the cost to make them and bring them to market, and avoid the bitching.

It's not like she or the avengers are an unknown at this point, or she's short shifted on scenes. She's more funko pop than nerd demand.

Now there actually IS a want for more actiony girl dolls. But simply tacking them on to the existing boys toy lines hasn't worked. You need the whole ecosystem, from the ground up.

DC superhero girls, is tracking to do fairly well so far. But it seems to be canibalizing sales from Barbie from women who think barbie's a bad role model. And they aren't getting the neckbeard love they were hoping for.

>>83909014
I wouldn't be suprised to see Groot Gardening of the Galaxy products next movie cycle at this rate.

>T shirts
T shirts have a much faster, simpler production process, so you can take a lot more risks with them. And they do much better with girls and women than toys.
>>
File: 1392788601130.jpg (656KB, 1440x2206px) Image search: [Google]
1392788601130.jpg
656KB, 1440x2206px
Gamora is cool. Wanda is cool. Mantis is cool. Nebula is cool.

MCU Black Widow sucks though
>>
>>83908232
None of the shitstorms are by people who buy action figures.
>>
>>83909405
Black Widow sucks in general.
Was never a particularly good or interesting character.
>>
>>83904998
Gamora was a shit character. You can make action figures and t-shirts of her all you want, but nobody will buy unless you give her better memes so the casual audience will actually remember her after they leave the theater.
>>
>>83907598
Wonder Man is going to have a background cameo
>>
>>83907234
>>83909254
I was actually going to ask. Is there any sign of how successful (or unsuccessful) Super Her Girls is so far? I passed by an endcap recently with a lot of empty spots, but I don't know if that was popularity or just stuff being moved. I like that they did both action figures and dolls.
>>
>>83911094
apparently the dolls sell out a lot, but /toy/ might know more about if there's a way to pull data for a particular line
>>
>>83910121

i remember a lot of tweets and stuff of sad kids and things like "She just wanted a Rey/Whoever doll"
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.