[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about SCAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: scad.jpg (523KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
scad.jpg
523KB, 992x558px
Hoe good is it for an animation degree? Doe they help you get your foot in the door? Are they good at helping you to meet others in the industry? What is the quality of the education?
>>
>>83661915
I can tell you it's in Georgia, so there are probably lots of peaches. Millions of peaches, peaches for free.
>>
>>83661954
Millions of Peaches, peaches for me?
>>
>>83661954
>>83661978
Oh anons, everybody knows that peaches come from a can.

They were put there by a man, in a factory downtown.
>>
File: 1461582648025.gif (2MB, 245x335px) Image search: [Google]
1461582648025.gif
2MB, 245x335px
>>83661997
If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches every day.
>>
>>83661997
Don't trample my dreams. I'm going to the country and I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches.
>>
>>83661915
The classes at SCAD are really good. The professors know their shit, and if you're diligent you can put out some really good work there.

HOWEVER the school is ludicrously overpriced, and they give you absolutely zero support in trying to land a job. Lots of industry people avoid the school for various reasons so it's pretty much impossible to network with anyone but your classmates.
>>
>>83662084
Are they avoiding the school or are they just avoiding Georgia?

Because I cannot see many reasons for industry people to want to travel to Georgia if it is not a stopoff between flights.
>>
>>83661915
It's an interesting and fun gem in one really shittastic ghetto.
>>
>>83662606
Avoiding the school specifically. No reason to avoid Savannah, it's a beautiful town. Especially in the spring.
>>
>>83661915
Had the chance to go but the money costs were too much even with me not paying for dorm/food.
Its a great school at least the local campus and the Atlanta one. Haven't asked about the overseas campuses.
>>
School is shit. There's a whole website dedicated to how awful it is: http://www.scadsecrets.com/2015/09/scadly-madison/
>>
>>83663398
But how are the peaches?
>>
>>83663398
Website constantly name calling the president Dear Leader and Hitler over and over again sort of kill the credibility.

It looks like that person got pissed off at something the president did and is wasting time bitching and moaning about it.
>>
Can anyone name a popular animator or series creator that went there at all?
>>
>>83662606
>I cannot see many reasons for industry people to want to travel to Georgia

Well Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are located there.
>>
>>83665583
But their studios are in Glendale California.
>>
...didn't expect a thread here about this.

It spends it's money weird. It hires properly experienced people to teach but how good they are at teaching can vary. Yet they feel oddly cheap when you've been on campus/using busses long enough. Monty (animation building) feels like they decided to stop remodeling part way and excuse themselves as being "artistic" about it. End result is that it feels like a prison.

They use quarters and every teacher gives assignments like they are the only ones doing so. So 10 weeks and tons of work. I knew many people that never got sleep and ran themselves ragged. Oh and they boot people out of the dorms on Friday by noon after finals end on Thursday.

Overall I'd rate their ability to teach a bit low but they are great at criticism. The distinction is how hard you work on your own. It's a far more useful school if you walk in having started your own portfolio of projects and react to different lessons as opportunities to expand range / find new perspectives.

Atmosphere wise. It's an art school. Can't quite put it in better words then that.

As far as animation degree specifically. At SCAD it's specifically a storytelling degree. You need to get a firm foundation on drawing and animating shortly into the major or there will be trouble. There's a ton of working on your own to learn things so you can get something with a coherent and appealing story out.

Animation industry itself is very competitive in that you need to really stand out to get into a position to even fight for jobs. If you want to do anything technical then an art school like scad won't teach you the math or programming you need.

Oh and SCAD as an intuition isn't a diploma mill but they have a very lenient admissions process. The freshman class is huge and I'm certain a large % drop out.

From what I've seen I'd actually rate the industry connections well. The school itself isn't as well connected as individual professors are though.
>>
>>83666196
I don't know if I'd recommend SCAD without asking many probing questions to determine if I think you are the type of person that can do well there. (There is a type that excels at SCAD) Though it's also expensive.

Here's what I will say about that though. It's fucking hard work and even more work because you need to self motivated at SCAD.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.