[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't decide if this movie is amazing or terrible.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: hunchback.png (727KB, 1139x611px) Image search: [Google]
hunchback.png
727KB, 1139x611px
I can't decide if this movie is amazing or terrible.
>>
It's good... just good. The soundtrack stands out on its as as incredible and one of Disney's strongest I think, but the movie as a whole was just good.
>>
I didn't like it as a kid
I rewatched it last year to give it another chance and I still didn't enjoy it.
Its not terrible, but its definitely on a lower tier than lion king, Aladdin, beauty and the beast.
>>
It's a mixed bag.
Hellfire is one of the best villain songs and the other songs are generally pretty good.
But it seems like they wanted to make a darker movie (due to, you know, the source material) but decided to cut it with too much levity.
It kept flip flopping between talking gargoyles and a villain who's motivation was raping the main character's beloved.
>>
>>83206301
It would be my favorite Disney animated movie if it weren't for those stupid fucking gargoyles
>>
File: deiv_frollo_artjamsm.jpg (359KB, 776x1200px) Image search: [Google]
deiv_frollo_artjamsm.jpg
359KB, 776x1200px
It's my favorite out of all the 90's disney movies, though I admit it not the best. I think it mostly suffers due to its script, which isn't as consistent or consistently good as the music and animation. But the music itself is perfection, even the score that plays during action scenes is chilling (see: 'And He Shall Smite the Wicked').

Apparently in the new stage musical version they kept most of the music from the original but completely rewrote the script (and cut he fucking gargoyles) and it works way better. No Tony Jay though, so I can never truly love it.
>>
>>83206301
It's... okay.
>>
>>83206301
Relating to the main character does bring a lot of immersion OP.
>>
>>83206984
>>83206981
>>83206806

I think they originaly planned on revealing the gargoyles as imaginary but disney may have tought it was too dark
>>
>>83207108

God for me the hate for the guy was huge, i couldnt hate him more! i really wanted him dead. I had an irrational hate for the fat fuck, i wasnt kinda an asshole when i was a kid and used to bully a dumbass that looked a lot like him, i did punch him so hard once his eye actually looked like quasi.
I really hated fat cunts back in the day.
>>
>>83207135
I mean they pretty much are right up until they inexplicably start spitting bullets at frollo's soldiers.
>>
Pic Unrelated? Isn't she from game of thrones?
>>
File: frollo.jpg (45KB, 682x391px) Image search: [Google]
frollo.jpg
45KB, 682x391px
You gotta admit Frollo is a pretty fucking GOAT villain.
>>
>>83206301
>>83206806
Try watching the stage show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gPLXUPv7Sg
>>
>>83206806
>Hellfire is one of the best villain songs
Only just recently upon reading the lyrics did I realize the latin chants are contrasts to what Frollo frantically responds to and says, and only after do I now recognize someone composed this knowing it would go over the head of most audiences well those without some sort of catholic upbringing with exposure to the prayers in Latin, and it's not exactly a rare prayer either, but still but did so knowing simplifying it would do no favors.
It's a small thing but I've got to admire that.
>>
It's good but man reading the actual story was pretty shocking.
>>
File: 1439859963673.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1439859963673.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
It basically is both amazing and terrible. Like >>83206806 said, it keeps flip-flopping and the quality is all over the place. The main thing that saves it are the visuals and Tony Jay.

Primarily, I feel it's because the movie stats its focus on Quasimodo, then swaps over to the others while glossing over Quasimodo way too much. Too many characters to put in the spotlight and learn about, while Quasi becomes this flat doormat of a character really really hurts the movie's overall delivery. I found myself not giving a shit about Quasi halfway through.

And Frollo is overrated as fuck. Like, he is the definition of overrated villain. His villain song is one of the best, that's for sure, but in terms of actual villainous work, he suffers horribly in that department. Yeah you could argue realism with him, but you also could do that with most of Disney's villains too. Jafar was a better villain, honestly. Not that it doesn't detract from Frollo's own accomplishments (His death was GOAT).
>>
It's amazing fuck you.
>>
If they didn't force the gargoyles in, or at least didn't make them Broadway shoe-ins and maybe pulled the twist that >>83207135 mentioned, it would have been one of the best Disney films from that era by far. Maybe THE best as far as more serious Disney movies go.
>>
>>83206301
Quasi, Frodo and most of the songs are great, but the gargoyles, Phoebus and Esmeralda are all terrible.
>>
Incredible soundtrack and visual direction. Including comic relief characters really was the only thing holding it back.
>>
There's a fan edit of this that removes the gargoyles. Helps the movie a lot.
>>
File: d-guy-8.png (600KB, 940x500px) Image search: [Google]
d-guy-8.png
600KB, 940x500px
The Gargoyles breaking the fourth wall and shit really fucked up the movie's tone. ESPECIALLY when they were putting on a music number while Paris is burning. What the fuck were they thinking?

If they just gave Clopin a bigger role (even though his humor was definitely darker, he was still the narrator and could've provided some levity in their place) I think that could've at least slightly passed as "Disney" enough for them to get away with. It was still a solid movie overall, but they made it really clear they were too chickenshit to commit to a serious movie being marketed towards kids.
>>
The gargoyles broke up the tone too much. Frollo was literally burning down Paris because he couldn't get his dick wet and the gargoyles decided to sing about how Esmerelda would totally like Quasi for his personality. This was pulled again in Frozen with the trolls. They all started singing about convincing Anna to let Kristoff bone her when she was turning into a human popsicle.
>>
of the 90's Disney movies, Hunchback is definitely the most memorable, even if it isnt the best one. it just has so much going for it. the villain, the music, its all pretty good.
>>
>>83206301
I'm annoyed by the fact they added some blond guy to the story so the hunchback wouldn't have a romance. Disney, man.
>>
File: 0034.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0034.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>83206984
The stage musical version is inspired by the Disney film and follows the same paces with almost all the same music (No A Guy Like You) but yes, it's a completely different script. Some of the songs have different lyrics, mostly Bells of Notre Dame since the backstory is totally different, and Court of Miracles has different orchestrations. Some songs are reworked concept/deleted songs from the film (A Place of Miracles, Someday) and others are totally new.

>Quasimodo is Frollo's nephew, from his brother Jehan who ran off with gypsies and died of some disease
>Frollo is the archdeacon of Notre Dame
>Frollo tries to get Esmeralda to stay in Notre Dame because he wants to teach her about Christianity and convert her because unlike other gypsies she appears "to have a heart and soul" (this is after she defends Quasimodo and criticizes Frollo and the public's behavior towards him)
>Phoebus is a bit of an asshole at first because the wars he just returned from were horrible as fuck
>"Gargoyles" are now the statues of saints, they are all in Quasimodo's head
>Esmeralda dies, Frollo is killed by Quasimodo, Quasimodo's body is found years later wrapped around Esmeralda's skeleton
>general darker material: there's a reference to a hard-on, Frollo visibly gropes Esmeralda, etc
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.