[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else dropping DC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 53

File: file.png (565KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
565KB, 800x450px
I'll still read King but this is the last straw for me, not going to even casually follow mainline DC anymore.
>>
>>83186996
Yeah, same. Rebirth literally raped my childhood.
>>
Really? THIS is the last straw? Not all the garbage from the last 5 years?
>>
>>83186996
>not thinking this isnt awsome as fuck
Im gonna start gollowing dc because of this.
>>
>>83187040
Report and ignore.
>>
>Dropping DC.
Nah.
>>
>>83186996
Enjoy Nazi Cap, OP!
>>
>>83186996

Why? Explain what's wrong with this. Is no like they are rewriting watchmen, they are using a character from it who is omnipotent and that's all. Nothing changed.
>>
>>83186996
Why?

With these creative teams this is likely going to be the best DC's been in like a decade.
>>
>>83186996
John's line of thinking for using the Watchmen characters in Rebirth is justified.
>>
>>83187100
I doubt it'll just be Manhattan.

But I'm also not some sperg who thinks Watchmen is sacred because people always lazily think of it as the best cape comic ever.
>>
File: no-thank-you.jpg (34KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
no-thank-you.jpg
34KB, 960x720px
>it's a retard complains about retards being retarded episode
>>
>>83187040
I care about Watchmen a lot more than any of the characters fucked over by nu52, I loved a lot of New 52 or DCYOU titles such as WW, Dial H, Grayson, Batman & Robin, Batwoman and Omega Men. I also casually followed Batman and Justice League.

>>83187098
I don't read Marvel except for Ewing, you realize there are many comic book publishers who don't publish this kind of shit?
>>
>>83186996
I'm adding more DC books to my pull list actually
>>
>>83187100
Watchmen was never ever part of the DCU and they are explicitly disrespecting Alan Moore by using his story in a way that the clearly does not approve of. This storyline, based on what we know, is a sequel to John's storyline in Watchmen, which is really pointless and basically just a cash grab.

>>83187126
I don't care, I refuse to read any comic that will be forced to tie in to this schlocky event.

>>83187142
No it isn't. DKR is the comic that made the industry grim and gritty, and there are many ways to respectfully make a point about Watchmen via the Pax Americana world or the existing DCU versions of Charlston characters. This is a cash grab because they are out of ideas.
>>
>>83187308
Oh damn them, a comics publisher using their characters to tell big, exciting stories while attempting to appeal to old and new readers.

How dare they not bow before the Almighty Alan Moore?
>>
Oh look it's another "I don't read comics I just like to get mad at news articles about them" faggot.
>>
>>83187251
With the DCYou cancellations I'm pretty much evening out, but the overall direction of the DCU makes me goddamn giddy.

Since the reboot it's all felt so small.
>>
>People are getting offended for Alan Moore
How pathetic can you get?
>>
>>83187308
>Watchmen was never ever part of the DCU
This I don't get at all.

Sure it didn't explicitly cross over much, but wouldn't any comics published by DC be considered part of their multiverse by default?

>>83187308
>they are explicitly disrespecting Alan Moore by using his story in a way that the clearly does not approve of
Would Moore have been explicitly disrespecting the original creators if he'd gotten to use Charlton characters like he wanted?
Of course not, that'd be stupid.
>>
>>83187398
1) It's not their characters, they actually broke their deal with Alan Moore a long time ago but he's too much of a fucking hippy to sue.

2) It doesn't appeal to anyone who actually read and fully enjoyed Watchmen because it's superfluous, schlocky and stupid. Why would a fan of Watchmen (a comic known for it's finesse) enjoy this unsubtle trash?

3) It's not about Alan Moore's status, it's about showing respect to the people who made their famous stories. Marvel are much bigger clickbaiters than DC, but they would never be as disrespectful as to take a popular IP like Powers and shove it into an Avengers crossover against their creators' wishes. It's fucking rude to shit on someone's story like that, a comic like Swamp Thing is a legendary run written within DCU that Alan knew would go on to be written by others, but Watchmen was not a story he intended to be continued. Certainly not by a writer as shit as Johns.

>>83187442
I read the comic and I fucking hated it. You don't seem to have an actual argument for why this plotline is not terrible.
>>
>>83187621
>Sure it didn't explicitly cross over much, but wouldn't any comics published by DC be considered part of their multiverse
No, we don't consider Sheriff of Babylon, Transmetropolitan or Punk Rock Jesus to be in the DCU, it would be just as offensive to shove any of these self-contained works into an event.

>Would Moore have been explicitly disrespecting the original creators if he'd gotten to use Charlton characters like he wanted?
He created new characters based off of Charlton, it's not the same thing. It's why (as I said in that very post) Pax Americana is an acceptable Watchmen story. It doesn't present itself as some sort of prequel or sequel to someone else's story, it's another writers take in a respectful way.

>>83187680
>if you don't like drinking this shit that must mean you are a piss drinker!!
I have never in my life read mainline Marvel apart from some Thanos saga stuff because I fucking hate mainline Marvel, but even they are above this.
>>
>>83187644
1) Considering it was published under their imprint, they are indeed DC's characters produced as work for hire.

2) Powers is published under Icon, which is creator owned. Watchmen was not. Also Watchmen was already expanded upon in Before Watchmen, newfag
>>
>>83187818
Above what?
>>
>>83187818
What's with you and human excrement?
>>
>>83187818
>No, we don't consider Sheriff of Babylon, Transmetropolitan or Punk Rock Jesus to be in the DCU
Who's "we"?
>>
The watchmen characters were cool enough that I'd be interested in seeing them show up in another book.

>dont mess with Alan Moore HES THE BEST
literally a filthy casual's opinion
>>
>>83187881
They are above inserting a self-contained work from another universe into their mainline events against the author's wishes just because it got popular.

>>83187874
>1) Considering it was published under their imprint, they are indeed DC's characters produced as work for hire.

No, Moore transferred the copyright to DC and they broke the contractual agreement by selling unapproved merchandise when the movie came out. He has a legal right to reclaim his copyright much like Siegel and Shuster did with Superman.

>2) Powers is published under Icon, which is creator owned. Watchmen was not. Also Watchmen was already expanded upon in Before Watchmen, newfag

I know it was you cretin, but at least Before Watchmen titles were (apart from Nite Owl) bland and inoffensive and basically just retelling what we already knew. I hate before watchmen but I hate this a lot more.
>>
>>83187680
>tfw love Marvel movies and DC comics, hate Marvel comics and DC movies
Come at me, breh.
>>
>>83187985
Do you consider Sheriff of Babylon, Transmetropolitan or Punk Rock Jesus to be in the DCU?
>>
>>83187644
>1) It's not their characters, they actually broke their deal with Alan Moore a long time ago but he's too much of a fucking hippy to sue.
That's just a lie. The contract may have been dickish, but Moore signed it and DC owns the characters as long as the book is in print.
And again, they were just alternate takes on established characters.

You're just like the thousands of others pretentious douchebags who take Watchmen way too seriously because casuals have called it the greatest comic ever for the last thirty years.
>>
>>83186996
Looks cool. If they do it right I might actually buy a few.
>>
>>83188100
There are plenty of unaccounted for earths.
>>
>>83188123
kill yourself 2bh
>>
>Alan Moore's fans getting mad on his behalf not realizing he doesn't give a shit anymore
>Getting offended on Moore's behalf even though he's proven he's fully capable of getting more than offended enough on his own if he desires
>>
>>83188175
Waiting on you, Mr. "gets offended for other people"
>>
>>83188100
Pretty sure DC doesn't own the characters.

And if they do, it's a big multiverse.

"Kid Eternity Meets Punk Rock Jesus," why not?
>>
>>83188058
hes significantly better than Johns and its disrespectful to anyone to write a sequel that presents itself as canon to their self-contained story.
>>
File: 1389750256174.jpg (65KB, 430x357px) Image search: [Google]
1389750256174.jpg
65KB, 430x357px
>>83187644
Welcome to comics, we have had Avengers vs DC, Spawn and Batman, Batman and Judge Dredd, Dredd and the Main Man, the point I am getting at is comics are open game to everything, thinking Watchmen wouldn't be touched is hilarious.

Also you preaching of respect to Alan, nigga you ain't an art critic or some big almighty connoisseur of fine arts, you probably had mcdonalds today. The thing is they are comics, to most people they are for kids, and no matter how adult themed they are, they will always just be comics.
So just sit back and enjoy the new thing with fav characters, or ignore it.
>>
File: Chris Chan CWC.png (12KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
Chris Chan CWC.png
12KB, 336x330px
>>83188058
>Taking characters who were specifically created to deconstruct the medium and put them in the world they were created to deconstruct, even though the world they were created for, specifically with all the cold war fears, is integral to their character

When you eat shit do you enjoy it, or just tell yourself you do?

I agree that there's nothing wrong with revisiting Watchmen, but to take them out of their world defeats the point
>>
File: 1435346730256.jpg (21KB, 600x309px) Image search: [Google]
1435346730256.jpg
21KB, 600x309px
>>83186996
>I care about Watchmen
>>
>>83187644
>It's not about Alan Moore's status, it's about showing respect to the people who made their famous stories

So... the same sort of respect Alan Moore's shown to other writers in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I mean, that's some mighty respect he gave to J. K. Rowling when he made Harry Potter the Anti-Christ. Or how about Ian Fleming? Or Harry Enton? Can't forgot about Luis Senarens and Edward Stratemeyer, too.

Oh wait, it's OK when Alan Moore does it but not OK when DC supposedly does it?

You seem like a smart guy but your fanatic love of Alan Moore is blinding you from the fact that he's as guilty as the same thing what you're accusing DC of. Not to mention if you really wanna be brutally honest... the whole fucked up situation with Watchmen and him all comes down to him making a naive and stupid mistake.

He has no one but himself to blame for signing a shitty contract. A company has one goal: to make as money as possible and do it as legally as possible. That's sad, brutal, and unfair but so is reality. If Alan's stupid enough to sign a contract with a loophole like what the Watchmen contract has, he has only himself to blame. He should've gotten himself a lawyer to go over the damn thing.
>>
>>83188109
>That's just a lie. The contract may have been dickish, but Moore signed it and DC owns the characters as long as the book is in print.
not true, read into it. he has legal precedent to get his characters back because DC broke a contractual agreement.
>And again, they were just alternate takes on established characters.
And there are alternate takes on his established characters in Pax Americana that Johns could have used if he cared about showing respect to another creator. Analogues of characters are a respectful way to do this, it doesn't present itself as canon.
>You're just like the thousands of others pretentious douchebags who take Watchmen way too seriously because casuals have called it the greatest comic ever for the last thirty years.
It's not my favourite I just like it a lot, and btw if someone wrote a comic about Stargirl getting fucked up the ass and DC published it as canon you would get annoyed lol. You seem like the kind of guy who isn't very intelligent and whenever someone criticizes something you enjoyed they are 'pretentious'. Probably a correlation between low IQ and liking Johns.
>>
>>83186996
I did it with Flashpoint now i just torrent shit, i only bought Multiversity.
All the stuff i buy now is either indie. Morrison's or old trades. I quitted Marvel during civil war.
>>
>>83188205
I'm actually offended that DC thinks I am stupid enough to clap at this lackluster story just because it has a Watchmen badge at the end, and yes I do actually care about creators getting mistreated by big companies because it's fucking rude. As I said to the other guy you would likely get upset if someone wrote a really disrespectful Stargirl story.
>>
>>83188186
>Thinking Moore is genuinely seriously offended

He's legit doing it for that bullshit artistic integrity wank. If you actually listen to him talk about it, he's very tongue in cheek about the whole thing, its just his sarcasm and warmth gets lost when its written down
>>
Is this always the same guy or something?
A myriad theories have been presented as to why they're using the Watchmen, but no.
>hurrrrr they're pissing on Alan Moore and his snake god altar

I'm not ecstatic about their inclusion necessarily, but the direction this could lead has potential. All I want is Rebirth to be just as good as its been hyped up to be and I'll be content, Watchmen or no Watchmen.
>>
>>83186996
>kept reading after Before Watchmen
>somehow this is too much for him

top wew
>>
>>83188224
because not every story needs to be a fucking IP ready to be farmed you corporate dick sucker
>>
>>83188457
What about rebirth disrespects the Watchmen?
>>
>>83187818
>No, we don't consider Sheriff of Babylon, Transmetropolitan or Punk Rock Jesus to be in the DCU
Yeah, because half of those books' rights are owned by the creators. Alan Moore never owned shit from Watchmen. Watchmen was simply the by-product of Wen Lein's attempt to put the Charlton heroes on the post-Crisis universe. He got Moore to write the title, and gave him freedom to do what he wanted. So much freedom, the book ended up becoming what we have today.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>83186996
OP show me your physical copy of Watchmen. Here's mine. I dont mind this story line at all. Now show me proof you bought and paid for Watchmen since you love it so much and hold it in such high regard.
>>
>>83188326
If you don't have any respect for comics as a medium and think it's just funny picture books then please never post here again. You are a philistine and should probably kill yourself. And no, the long running series Judge Dredd that has been open game for anyone to write from even the first two stories is not the same thing.
>>
>>83188378
To be fair to him, the contract said that the rights would revert back to him when Watchmen went out of print. No comics remained in print back then, the whole idea of the trade paper back started with The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen which came out around the same time and after he signed those contracts
>>
>>83187621
>Would Moore have been explicitly disrespecting the original creators if he'd gotten to use Charlton characters like he wanted?

Watchmen arose out of his work on Miracleman, a forgotten character he'd revamped. Because of that revamp, the property was considered to have a value again and a protracted series of legal problems eventually arose.

As a result of a separate case involving Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane - who, over the character Angela, tried to rely on the "work for hire" argument beloved of publishers since the 1930s, but which has rarely stood up to scrutiny in the courts - Gaiman discovered that in fact another copyright McFarlane claimed to own, Miracleman, was in fact never the property of the people who he thought he'd bought it from. He therefore did not own it; it was, and had always been since the dissolving of L. Miller & Son Ltd., the property of creator Mick Anglo.

On learning this Moore immediately dropped his objections to Marvel Comics or any other party buying the Marvelman/Miracleman rights that he held (as creator of later works) on condition that all moneys from the sale be paid to Mick Anglo, and to his estate after his death. This was two years before Mick Anglo died and we can only assume that, had arguments like >>83187874 been examined with appropriate scrutiny decades before - as McFarlane should have had done before "buying" the rights - Anglo would have been rather better off in his final decades.

Creator-owned doesn't mean shit even at Image. It never did. The only way you get recognition is if you sue for it, which Moore has stated he doesn't feel the need to do over Watchmen - but it seems probable that he could indeed shut down DC's Watchmen over that breach of contract.

You're talking about a guy who'd rather smoke a big fat joint in his comfortable home than go to court and talk to assholes about shit he signed half a lifetime ago. Wouldn't we all? He doesn't need the money or the hassle.
>>
>>83188532
Bonus points if Alan Moore signed it.
>>
DC has been great for the last 5 years
>>
>>83188366
Because it's a reconstruction.
>>
>>83188641
Definitely not true, but they've been upping their game for like a year and a half.
>>
>>83188378
Did he work with the Harry Potter publishers to create League of Extraordinary Gentleman and present it as an actual sequel? LOEG is SPECIFICALLY ABOUT taking classic (public domain) characters out of their contexts and shoving them into weird mashup adventures. DC is disrespecting a man who WORKED FOR THEM IN LIVING MEMORY and wrote a comic that made them fuckloads of money, it is not a nice thing to do. J.K. Rowling has also never spoken out against people writing around her stories, in fact she has encouraged it.
>>
>>83188667
But the characters are so integrally tied to cold war fears. If you remove them from a world where that is an issue, they cease to be those characters and become something that looks like them, but isn't
>>
>>83188457
>implying the Watchmen badge is the good part
>not Legion, Johnny Thunder, Atom and one of the best Wally/Barry scenes ever
>>
>>83186996
Rebirth #1 handled this much better than I expected, so I'm kind of interested in where this goes.
Also, with Priest, King, Ostrander and Orlando on Rebirth, there's no way I'm dropping DC anytime soon. To be honest, I'm kind of glad for Marvel's Civil War event, cause I'm not really interested in it, which means I won't be spending more than usual on books since I'll be skipping all the event tie-ins.
>>
File: Alan Moore.jpg (168KB, 435x300px) Image search: [Google]
Alan Moore.jpg
168KB, 435x300px
>>83186996
If not for DC shafting him with Watchmen, do you reckon he'd of remained working in the industry with Marvel and/or DC?
>>
>>83188491
Johns killed 3 people in one week which is not consistent with his character.

The story is a cynical deconstruction of the superhero comicbook, it is disrespectful to turn it into a superhero comicbook crossover event bonanza.

The story is self-contained and not intended to be expanded upon, it is disrespectful to try and write what happened next and publish it as the official canon against the creator's wishes.
>>
>>83188716

This, with the force of a million clenched tumblrina anuses.
>>
Call me when Moore writes something not shit.
>>
>>83188708
I'd argue that that is truer of DKR, which is really a period piece. Watchmen plays on more core human emotions, which are still very relevant today. It wouldn't take much work to rewrite it to be set in the modern day.
>>
>>83188769
>The story is a cynical deconstruction of the superhero comicbook, it is disrespectful to turn it into a superhero comicbook crossover event bonanza.

Moore has mistreated other writers stories his entire career.
>>
>>83188567
On one hand, I'm willing to concede that since I did forget that aspect of the conversation.

But on the other... it's still a huge fucking loophole and one that would've been pointed out if Alan had taken some time and money and had a lawyer consulted on the damn contract. Anyone of them would've pointed it out and said 'Hey, this can be exploited!'

>>83188705
In other words, it's OK when Alan does it and not OK when DC does it. Nice to know.

Guys, either this is just your typical troll bait thread or this guy has his head up his ass with his delusional love of Alan Moore.
>>
>>83188366
>Making a flagship character of an iconic deconstruction the main antagonist of a reconstruction is somehow a bad idea.
>Making a character from a book that caused a tonal shift in the dc universe the antagonist of an event that tries to go back to the tone watchmen rejected is a bad idea

You really shouldn't be questioning the inteligence of other people here.
>>
>>83188675
Some books were good early into the NU52 (Aquaman), others after about 20 issues and others picked up later

There was always a decent amount of quality
>>
>>83188769
The story isn't beng expanded on. This is after the fact. Its not a sequel. Please see >>83188532
You stupid fucking hipster scum.

>the story is a cynical deconstruction of the superhero genre

Exactly, and THIS story is a deconstruction of that deconstruction and the terrible influence it has had on superhero comics.
>>
>>83188463
>has potential.
For a new movie directed by Hack Snyder and produced by Geoff Johns. Watchmen is considered to be the best comic by normies so this will attract hordes of them, Johns is just making excuses as to why he is using them, "comics are too gritty because of watchmen" my ass, just check his latest JL issue to see how edgy and violent HIS stories are, shit, just read this issue to see how he treats his OC character Pandora the imporant.

...too bad Captain Hydra will still have more presence in both sales and the media.
>>
>>83187040
Not them, but I stopped back when Nu52 raped Jaime.
Before Watchmen reaffirmed the decision to drop them.
This is what convinced me to never give them another chance.
>>
>>83188828
In his ongoings? It's not the same thing. He doesn't complain about Snyder's Swamp thing because it doesn't matter that it doesn't have much to do with his Swamp Thing. He never ever in his career wrote a sequel to someone else's self-contained passion project.
>>
>>83188769
>Self contained and not intended to be expanded upon

Nothing ever ends, anon.

Also I'm pretty sure that the same could be said about the characters that Moore used for League of extraordinary gentlemen.
>>
>>83186996
Yes, I got into DC view New 52 and don't want to be burdened by a bunch of convulted old comics. I'm done and so are several of my friends.
>>
>>83188857
It is not a deconstruction. It is rebuilding what was deconstructed.Johns has said it himself.
>>
>>83186996
>he doesnt realize the whole point of Rebirth is Watchmen was a mistake for the industry
>>
>>83188877
Please, please pick up the new Giffen Blue Beetle when it comes out, even for just one issue

Jamie and Ted: Together again for the first time
>>
File: trump.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>83188920
>>
>>83188574
This.
I honestly doubt gives a single shit about it.

You would have to literally shove the comic in his face and hold a gun to his head for him to even entertain the notion of reading Rebirth.

And even if he did read it, I don't think he'd do much except feel a little more bitter on the inside, which is not hard to do. He probably gets more bitter on his way to the grocery store.
>>
File: 20160526_220503.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160526_220503.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Here is a post for whichever fucking inbred tried to discredit me by saying i dont own the comic
>>
>>83188951
>missing the point this hard
It's not a criticism of Watchmen, but of the lesson's everyone else learned from it. Which, ironically enough, is a point Moore has tried to make many times.
>>
>>83188768
I imagine he would have kept doing DC stuff, yeah.
Would have probably put out a lot for Vertigo.

>>83188841
Yes, but it was an editorial disaster. Bad decisions coming from higher-ups at the last minute was practically a constant, and big, terrible stories would come and go.
Remember the Wildstorm integration and the creative team changes?
Oh Christ, remember the Deamonite event they were clearly building up?

Good comics happened, but it was by luck as much as skill, and even they had the stink of editorial on them.
>>
>>83188951
Not a mistake. But what a lot of people got from it was "It's good because it's dark". Also Johns has expressed that as good as it was it does not represent what superheroes should be.
>>
>>83188996
Somebody's mad. Also, what a shitty cover.
>>
>>83188862

It's okay that you've made up your mind about this.
I like Watchmen, too, but I think maybe for different reasons. I'm gonna wait and see what kinda soup the cook out of this, but I can promise you, I'm not gonna be eternally butt-blasted because they used characters based on other characters.
>>
>>83188920
I got into comics in 2013. While new52 created an easy jump-in point, there's no rason to ignore what came before it.
>>
>>83188947
Watchmen was 20 years ago anon, Nu52 just happened in 2011, there is hundreds of stories between those 2, are you saying they were all gritty and dark? Shit, they only thing Johns is doing is bring back characters that were retconed by the reboot, and that was Watchmen's fault why?
>>
>>83188962
Why bother supporting it, they'll just fuck it up again in time.

I'd be better off mailing Giffen and the artists checks for the issues I pirate.
>>
>>83188523
>Alan Moore never owned shit from Watchmen
this is not true, you should do your research
>>
>>83188998
>>83189020

Thats a mistake. The influence it had on the industry was negative. It had a negative impact on superhero comics. The superhero industry, not the comics industry, would have been better of if it was never made.
>>
>>83188109
I mean Watchmen is pretty great

Not for the reasons casuals think it is, but still
>>
File: Liquid Shag meets Solid Shag.jpg (28KB, 444x334px) Image search: [Google]
Liquid Shag meets Solid Shag.jpg
28KB, 444x334px
>>83188817
The entire plot of Watchmen revolves around Ozy trying to bring about world peace because Doc Manhattens very existence amped up cold war fears given that he's a walking WMD

Hatred of commies is a central part of Rorshcach's character

Increased tension with Russia had turned America violently towards the right, leading to society wanting a ban on masks. Nite Owl and Silk Spectre's entire arc is them lying to themselves about how they don't need the capes when really its the only thing that doesn't make them feel impotent, literally in Nite Owls case

The Cold War is central to the book, I'd say even more so than in The Dark Knight Returns, though it's definitely a big part of that book too
>>
>>83188996
>Bought within the last couple years
>>
>>83189051
its a dustcover with the original issue 1 cover underneath you fuck bucket
>>
>>83188996
>that awful cover
>bought it after he saw the movie

My sides
>>
>>83189067
>20 years
Check your math
>>
>A single page with The Comedian's button
>A couple pages of Adrian and Doc talking off panel
Wow, it's nothing
>>
>>83188996
Come on, >>83189051 >>83189099 this is like basic trolling. It doesn't matter if you own a copy or not, they're just shilling for Johns.
>>
>>83189092
Yeah, but there's still heavy tensions with Russia today, which would certainly be amped up if we had a Doc Manhattan.

Rorschach could be ranting about Islamic terrorists and the threat they supposedly pose without it changing too much.

And who says the American left wouldn't be heavily for a ban on vigilantes?
>>
>>83189184
But don't you see? Even MENTIONING it is LITERALLY RAPING everything Alan Moore has ever written!
>>
>>83188963
No this isn't bait, I and others only care about New 52 onwards, DC has tossed us aside for their aging fanbase who only like to sit around and complain. This is a terrible decision on DC's part and it is going to cost them in the long run, screenshot this and look back in a years time, you know it's true.

To us "normies" DC comics just went full bullshit again and back to being a confusing approachable mess, it has nothing left to offer.
>>
>>83189150
Fuck you, i still live in 2006.
>>
>>83189106
Hey, buddy, I'm not insulting you, okay? I just happen to not like that cover.
>>
File: Feels good man.jpg (4KB, 142x116px) Image search: [Google]
Feels good man.jpg
4KB, 142x116px
>>83189147
I finally got around to getting my own copy literally just before they changed it from the rad close of up of the smiley face to the shitty new one

Feels good man
>>
>>83189226
It's a slippery slope, bro. We're gonna get Nite Owl vs Batman, and Ozy rivaling Lex as the smartest man in the DCU! Also, the Comedian will be in charge of the Suicid Squad!
>>
>>83189232
Kek no one cares about normies faggot
>>
File: Fight of The Century.png (1MB, 1125x794px) Image search: [Google]
Fight of The Century.png
1MB, 1125x794px
>>83186996
I know how it ends.
>>
DC:

Is Morrison writing it?

Yes: Will buy

No: No thanks
>>
>>83189226
Well Alan Moore did love to inject his stories with rape and wrote several stories almost exclusively about rape, like Lost Girls.

So does that mean this is raping the rapist in some metaphorical way?
>>
>>83189232
But it's still the New 52 universe, except now, the reboot was messed up by Doc M, the classic Teen Titans were a thing and the JSA was a thing. That's all that was changed.
>>
>>83189232
It's still the same continuity, just without the branding and with a few characters from the old continuity introduced
>>
>>83189232
they aren't even undoing the new52. everything that happened still happened
>>
>>83189287
Honestly, I would 100% buy an Ennis-written story about the Watchmen characters.
>>
>>83189232
I agree with the confusing part but i doubt DC is not going to do his homework and introduce properly the old stories and characters. The only thing that bothers me about this is the watchmen thing, other than that i think it will be great to see other characters and stories long forgotten being developed again.
>>
File: Bueno_Excellente_001.jpg (114KB, 595x659px) Image search: [Google]
Bueno_Excellente_001.jpg
114KB, 595x659px
>>83189294
Therefore, by the transitive property of rape, Bueno Excellente will save the multiverse
>>
>DC is so totally incapable of producing interesting new stories that they're bringing shit from a totally unrelated work into their main universe as the reason behind their big reboot as click bait, good writing or the source material be damned.

Cape comics are a joke.
I haven't even read Watchmen and even I can tell this will be a bad decision in the long run.
>>
>>83189367
It's like Longshot saves the Marvel Universe, only with slightly less rape
>>
File: wonder woman earth one.jpg (73KB, 318x473px) Image search: [Google]
wonder woman earth one.jpg
73KB, 318x473px
>>83186996

As always, I only read when Grant Morrison writes something. I don't care about being a "casual" fan because it means I read more good comics than bad comics, unlike the "hardcore" fans.
>>
>>83189206
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't fit together as well

The cold war is a unifying thing behind all the characters.

To say Russia today is fine, but they aren't communist

To say Islamic terorists is fine, but they aren't hidden in plain sight like communists are to a paranoid fuck like Rorschach

While the left could work as a force wanting the removal of masks, the idea behind it being the right is their supposed desire to turn the clocks back to a simpler better time before all this shit happened works a little better.

Plus the right having a problem with people dressing up in gaudy costumes makes more sense.

And also having the right want the ban ties back into the cold war fears
>>
>>83189379
>totally unrelated
Watchmen is actually a comic in the DC Universe
>>
>>83189379
>hasn't even read Watchmen
What the fuck are you doing with your life, faggot? I'm fine with Rebirth, but I can still agree that it's fucking great and a must-read.
>>83189401
H- how much rape was there in that?
>>
>>83189110
This
>>
File: 1463471785536.png (76KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
1463471785536.png
76KB, 198x198px
>>83186996
>2014
>Start reading comics
>Read some Marvel, Judge Dredd, other stuff
>More than that read DC
>Start with Crisis on Infinite earths as a jump-in point
>Read almost everything DC published from 1985 up to Infinite Crisis
>Start running out of DC stuff to read, consider starting new 52
>Rebirth appears on the horizon
mfw I can't wait for rebirth
>>
>>83189417
>Islamic terorists aren't hidden in plain sight like communists are to a paranoid fuck like Rorschach
I want you to pause for a moment and think about this statement a little more
>>
File: 1464205736001.jpg (59KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1464205736001.jpg
59KB, 500x375px
>>83189367
Sounds like a solid plan to me.
>>
>>83189417
Alright, I'll concede you have a point, but I don't think removing the characters from their universe inherently damages them. Especially Manhattan. With Rorschach, or Nite Owl, or especially Comedian you'd probably be right, but I think Manhattan can work in other contexts too.
>>
>>83186996
You are going to follow Young Animal though, riiiight?
>>
>>83189496
I mean in the sense that islamic terrorists tend to be asian.

Commies can be anyone of any race gender religion or creed.

When I say they aren't hidden in plain sight like communists, I mean to the extent communists are.
>>
So how much does it pay to shill for Marvel on the internet?
>>
>>83189456
>hasn't even read Watchmen
I'm not avoiding it or anything, don't get me wrong. I'd like to read it but every time I remember I haven't I don't have money for it, and I generally try to avoid pirating good comics if I can get them in a book format.

I splurged money on all six volumes of Akira a month or two ago. I'll get to Watchmen eventually.
>>
>>83187308

Who cares if they disrepect Moore? He clearly doesn't respect them and it was work for hire he did based on their characters.

Almost everyone likes Watchmen. If Alan Moore never declared it should be standalone everyone would happily read more stories about these characters. They're cool.

If it ends up being good, then it'll be worth it. If not, we can bitch and moan and then eventually ignore it.
>>
>>83189598
Ah, I know that feel all too well. Fair enough then.
>>
File: Bueno.jpg (734KB, 1804x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bueno.jpg
734KB, 1804x1080px
>>83189367
If Bueno Excellente exposed himself to tachyons, he really could beat Dr. Manhattan. Big Blue would never see him coming.
>>
>>83188708
>they cease to be those characters and become something that looks like them, but isn't

You mean like every reboot and interdimensional crossover story ever has done with the characters involved?

Watchmen characters ain't special snowflakes, they don't get to be exempt from the rules of being fictional characters in the comic book medium just because their story is more popular than most or just because a grumpy old British man who hasn't shaved in a decade is your man-crush.
>>
>>83189636
>Big Blue would never see him coming.

Heh
>>
>>83188947
In order to reconstruct what Watchmen deconstructred, you have to tear Watchmen down.

This should be kinda fucking obvious.
>>
>>83189147
i have never seen it
>>
>>83186996
>Anyone else dropping DC?
I'm not, but my pull list is getting shorter.
>>
>Caring about disrespecting Moore.
You poor sap.
>>
File: 1445530985411.gif (1021KB, 240x179px) Image search: [Google]
1445530985411.gif
1021KB, 240x179px
>ITT: R-Rebirth will be good we swear
It's like nobody ever learns anything

That being said, I'll give the new Supes run a shot
>>
>>83186996
Out of curiosity, how much does Disney actually pay you to make these threads? What's the workload like? Do you consider it a viable source of income? I'd love to get into professional shilling, myself, but only if it's worth the effort.
>>
>>83189738
well yeah, they're not putting out as many books

>>83189769
>Rebirth will be shit!
>But I'll keep reading Jurgens AND Tomasi
you're making my brain hurt
>>
>>83189067
It' better explained in the story. The influence of watchmen had been there for several years before flashpoint, but it was after that it finally jumped the shark, when dc took away elements like legacy characters and relationships and the only thing they had left was edgyness.
>>
File: 1459731004377.jpg (55KB, 757x820px) Image search: [Google]
1459731004377.jpg
55KB, 757x820px
>>83189767
>Go ahead and shit on one of the classics of the medium some more I don't mind
>>
>>83189830
>Shit on
>With 3 whole pages of nothing
Let it be disrespected first.
>>
>>83189769
>ITT: R-Rebirth will be good we swear
I am actually now wondering how people reacted to new 52 before it came out.
>>
>>83189716
Not necessarily. Think of the superhero genre like, I dunno, a car engine. A deconstruction, like Watchmen, takes apart that engine, examining why it works, and pointing out the flaws inside it. A reconstruction, like, say, All-Star Superman, puts the pieces back together, conscious of the flaws, and says: "Sure, it doesn't work perfectly, but it's still a damn good engine". Basically, what I'm clumsily trying to express is that deconstructionism and reconstructionism are two approaches that, when well handled, can learn from each other and build of each other instead of contradicting each other and tearing each other down.
>>
>>83189598
Have you tried going to the library, mine has it.
>>
File: 70% of Rorscach's dialogue.jpg (18KB, 151x188px) Image search: [Google]
70% of Rorscach's dialogue.jpg
18KB, 151x188px
>>83189683
Oh you misunderstand me, I in no way think that they are special snowflakes who will be exempt from the inevitable tide of the comics industry

I do however think that even if it is a futile effort, one should rage against the dilution of characters, especially when they are put into the very stories they are a deconstruction of.

Because even though you don't have to read it, or any comics with these characters in if one were to be that autistic about it, if you don't complain when DC or Marvel or whomever attempt to feed you shit, they'll try to do it again thinking you like it.

"Never surrender, even in the face of armageddon" or whatever the fuck the quote is
>>
File: 1438389889369.png (179KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1438389889369.png
179KB, 540x304px
>>83189805
What the hell do you want from me?

If they want to restart, then show me they can fucking restart. I want to like Superman again dammit.
>>
>>83190006
they're not restarting
>>
>>83187308

Was JK Rowling OK with her character being the Antichrist and blamed for modern literature's downfall?
>>
>>83189891
yeah deconstruction is supposed to be a tool for analyzing things to gain insight, not a way to say "here's an edgy explanation of why the things you love are SHIIIIIIT"
>>
File: Six Pack saves Earth.png (3MB, 1864x885px) Image search: [Google]
Six Pack saves Earth.png
3MB, 1864x885px
>>83189287

Six Pack seriously has a chance against the fucker, if we're going by the fact that his powers are pure heroism, alcoholism, and being the drunk in "real" New York who's passed out hallucinations are the entire DC multiverse, Manhattan included.
>>
File: 1435853874304.png (59KB, 415x423px) Image search: [Google]
1435853874304.png
59KB, 415x423px
>>83189851
>Using the Watchman name as a gimmick and clickb8 bucks while missing the point of the book isn't shitting on it
neo-/co/ everyone
>>
>>83190103
it's ok when Moore does it
>>
>>83190058
You know what I mean
>>
>>83190120
>I dont like it
>therefore it's gimmicks and clickbait
actual neo-/co/, everyone+
>>
>>83190119
wait, so he's like the psycho pirate from animal man?
>>
>New52 was handled awfully
>this somehow won't

I can't wait to see the weird mashup of putting everything back to normal and what's happened in the time that New52 has been out
>>
>>83190145
well I don't know why you'd expect Superman to be good "again" when it's being written by Tomasi and Jurgens, while implying that Morrison, Pak, and parts of Yang weren't good
>>
>>83190165
Alright. Explain to me how isn't then, explain how this was an organic inclusion to the storyline and DC universe and not a desperate attempt to get attention and use the Watchman name?
>>
>>83190120

DC had no intention of marketing the Watchmen thing and actively told people not to look for spoilers. They only caved after the Reddit leak. That's not very clickbaity.
>>
>>83189989
>Because even though you don't have to read it, or any comics with these characters in if one were to be that autistic about it, if you don't complain when DC or Marvel or whomever attempt to feed you shit, they'll try to do it again thinking you like it.

This

I don't get the "you don't have to read and complain, bro! The original story is safe, bro!" excuse. I mean, i get it, but it's hypocritical, where was that attitude when everyone was bitching about the New52, BvS or anything? Bitching about things is the very reason we're getting Rebirth
>>
>>83186996
No, Rebirth got me to start following. I couldn't care less about Watchmen, but fucking Wally West is back!
>>
>>83190287
What? You don't need to advertise a big twist to turn a profit out of it, Marvel didn't need to advertise Hydra-Cap to make people talk about it, Disney didn't need to advertise Solo's death to make the new SW "shocking"
>>
>>83190165
Not that guy, but if you don't think the whole "shocking reveal" at the end that WE WATCHMEN now wasn't done for click bait in a vain attempt to generate hype then you're deluded
>>
>>83186996
I dropped DC right after Flashpoint
>>
>>83190273
>Watchmen is the seminal cape comic deconstruction
>arguably started the Big 2 on the path that eventually led to New 52
>Rebirth is a specific pushback against the failings of the New 52
>an almost-literal reconstruction of the DC universe
it's ~*symbolic*~
>>
>>83189889
Well, Nu52 did have flashpoint preceding it, which wasn't the worst thing ever. So it was kinda mixed.

Once we saw the trainwreck though..... it was pretty obvious how shit it was gonna be.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Lol get fucked.
All of you.
>>
>>83190505
I might go to an LCS tomorrow and get it myself
>>
>>83190505
The fucking sold out of the other cover at my LCS too in so pissed.
>>
File: 1402937881914.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1402937881914.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
>>83190260
I don't expect it to be good.
I "want" it be, I wanted a lot of things to be good from DC, still salty over Darkseid War but whatever.

Point is, I have no expectations for this. I have no reason to be hyped about anything Rebirth does. The only reason I'm picking the books I am is out of some misplaced optimism that MAYBE I'm wrong and all this hoopla is justified
>>
File: 1460477461777.jpg (102KB, 916x690px) Image search: [Google]
1460477461777.jpg
102KB, 916x690px
>>83190120
>getting offended on someone else's behalf
Tumblr everyone
>>
>>83190536
Dude I called three stores today. Sold out.
>>
>>83190461
So there's a fascinating new narrative that cape comics NEVER recovered from the edgefest revolution that started after DKR and Watchmen, and that only now DC is very bravely acting against such pervasively depressing times
>>
>>83190573
Fine, I'll buy World War Hulk
>>
>>83190598
Why not Gwenpool instead?
>>
>>83190505
>THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
>ROBIN
>SUPERSON
>BAT-girl...? ok
>Is that the Flash? Why is he black?
>Wait, why is Harley there? Isn't she a villain?
>>
File: 1461007533492.png (40KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1461007533492.png
40KB, 152x254px
>>83190611
Oh, I'll definitely be doing that
>>
>>83190615
Lol now post the current marvel now roster so I can fucking laugh at you.
>>
>>83190540
well there's at least three or four guaranteed-good books, depending on how much David Finch is a turnoff for you
>>
File: 1460247373006.jpg (15KB, 250x267px) Image search: [Google]
1460247373006.jpg
15KB, 250x267px
>>83190555
>Criticism is now being 'offended' and acting like tumblr
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 478x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 478x640px
>>83190615
>>83190647
Gotu family
>>
>>83190647
I was just joking anon, those last three just seem out of place
>>
>>83190721
What the fuck is marvel even doing anymore?
>>
>>83190615
>Is that the Flash? Why is he black?
>BAT-girl...? ok

I can understand you being upset at Harley, but you can't really be upset about bat girl and one of many flashes who have existed
And at the same time, you're totally fine with Supersons

what's wrong with you?
>>
>>83190721

Oh look all the white people are back. Bet it was OK with people who complained about Kent, Ted, Wally, and Ray being back.
>>
>>83190816
that's the old Marvel NOW! roster, the new one hasn't been released yet
>>
>>83190764
I mean, Damian and Supertyke, they're there with their dads, they have a reason to be there, they're fine

who invited Batgirl to hang out with the Justice League? Why not use Barry?
>>
>>83190711
Thinking that your feelings matter is acting like tumblr.
If you don't like Rebirth or think is not the right direction for DC that's fine( just be coherent and don't buy it), but the only person who has the right to be offended is Moore and he doesn't care( not anymore at least).
>>
>>83190950
See

>>83189989
>>
File: laughing hitman.jpg (78KB, 440x564px) Image search: [Google]
laughing hitman.jpg
78KB, 440x564px
>>83189636
>exposed himself to tachyons

He never misses a chance to expose himself to anything, or anyone
>>
>>83186996
Yeah this is really making me consider abandoning the medium altogether. As a lifelong fan I've tolerated DC's terrible decisions for the past few years but now I feel bad supporting them in any way (namely buying old reprints of stuff I like). I just got a shelf for all of my trades and was proud of how they all looked on display. Now with recent developments and the way people have responded to them I'm actually somewhat embarrassed of owning them, which is something I thought I had gotten over a long time ago. The constant stupidity is bringing the stigma back to comics being a garbage medium. My hope that the ship would be righted has been completely snuffed out. Thanks for everyone at DC for making me sad for once enjoying their wonderful output.
>>
>>83189989
>>83190975
you realize Rorschach was meant to be super-unreasonable and wrong when he said that, right?
>>
>>83191077
>the medium
cape comics are a genre, not a medium
>>
>>83189683
Kill yourself you fucking idiot, not every comic book has to be in the dc universe fucking hell. Does Jimmy Corrigan need to have a Batman crossover because of some bullshit you made up about the laws of comics? Does the cast of We3 need to come back and steal 10 years away from Krypto the Superdog because they arent allowed to be "special snowflakes"? Alan moores characters were meant to stand alone and DC literally does not have the legal right to keep printing this shit, they only get away with it because Moore doesnt like lawyers. The contract specifically required Moores approval for further merchandise, they have as much right to fuck with his story as they do to add transmet into their universe.

People like you can spout as much as you want about LOEG but if any one of the writers behind those characters asked moore not to use them he wouldnt, he had the respect and decency to hand over his miracleman work to mick anglo because unlike geoff johns he is not a corporate hack and has some fucking respect and principles for those who paved the way for him.
>>
File: mfw i am behind a face.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mfw i am behind a face.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
>>83191040

>yfw Manhattan may have been responsible for bringing Six Pack back into Earth 1
>>
File: That's not digital sytle.png (131KB, 371x256px) Image search: [Google]
That's not digital sytle.png
131KB, 371x256px
>>83191079
I don't think he was at all. The point of the book is the deconstruction of the superhero genre, and with that comes its primitive view on right or wrong.

Is he wrong for sticking to his ideals and believing in the truth? I personally think ultimately yes, but he wasn't "meant to be wrong" any more than Ozy was "meant to be right" for killing all those people

Its supposed to be morally grey.
>>
>>83189790
I also hate how disrespectful bendis is towards the work of his peers, i have made threads about it before but it is not a topic of interest at the moment. Please stop diverting the subject to marvel under some false assumption that anyone dissatisfied with dc is in the marvel fanclub
>>
>>83191147
>Does Jimmy Corrigan need to have a Batman crossover
didn't he though? Like, fairly recently?
>>
>>83188996
>post movie edition
>how to lose credibility 101
>>
>>83189851
Dr Manhattan evaporated 3 people in the same week, at least one of which did nothing wrong.
>>
>>83186996
That's because you have shit taste.
>>
So?
Were you also assblasted over Martian Manhunter in Sandman?
>>
>>83191111
I'd like to add the pedantic arguing about continuity and semantics over an objectively desperate and rote idea from a company that has repeatedly demonstrated it doesn't care about trying to be anything more than a financial corporation and places no emphasis on creativity and figuring out the somewhat simple task of how to tell good stories in the medium it helped define has gone from being a tedious toleration to something I can't even stomach anymore.
>>
>>83190171
You know this will probably still have me be less bitter than Steve Rogers AGENT OF HYDRA
>>
>>83191347
ok anon

send me your books if you don't want them anymore
>>
>>83186996
Jesus is DC so desperate now they're trying to bring Watchmen into one of their shit crossovers?
>>
>>83191274
Shut the fuck up, Owlman, you did everything wrong.
>>
>>83186996
>Droping Marvel, Dc and the movie shit.
>Becaming Image and Dark Horse fag
>>
>>83191246
JIMMY Corrigan not Jim Corrigan
>>
>>83191428
And people in this thread are unironically defending them.
>>
>>83191457
>>83186996
Rebirth was outright beautiful though.
>>
>>83191428
>>83191546
Hail Hydra
>>
>>83191323
better analogy would be Daniel in JLA or Death in Action Comics
>>
>>83191610
Ikr, it's almost as if both the big 2 are shitty companies surviving on cheap gimmicks
>>
>>83191274
You don't know he killed Pandora or that Metron is dead
>>
>>83191610
The red skull has psychic powers dumbass, that memory (with the woman dressed IN RED) was obviously fucking implanted jesus christ. Thanos with a gun is a much better thing to make fun of
>>
>>83191693
It was literally in the rorschach pose
>>
I can't tell if people who are for Rebirth genuinely like it or are just DCfanboys and Wallyfags who'd like anything if it meant he was coming back
>>
>>83191766
I'm for it because the creative teams look really good

except on Superman, but that's half to be expected
>>
>>83188366
>characters specifically created to deconstruct
incorrect
>>
>>83186996
Im just going to bother with vertigo.
>>
>>83191716
Red Skull with Xaviers powers at all is retarded
>>
>>83191766

Rebirth gave me more than just Wally. It is an 80 page mission statement more than anything. Was happy to see all the missing characters and relationships.
>>
>>83191819
They were, they are literally nothing like the charlston characters.
>>
>>83191833
Which belongs to DC
>>
>>83191860
Rorschach and Question are both right wing mouth pieces and Ted and Dan are nearly dead on the same person.
>>
>>83191860
Rorschach was pretty much the Question but cranked up a bit

fuck, O'Neil Question had an issue all about how Vic used to be like Rorschach but is now glad he isn't as much
>>
>>83191906
Dan is basically Ted stuck in the real world, with a fetish.
>>
>>83191709
It was a very beautiful and touching way to bring back Wally which was executed really well.
The story also merges post-New52 with pre-New52 in a way that allows it to draw on strengths from both without completely dismissing anything from either. In a neat way that makes sense and doesn't feel hamfisted.
The very narrative itself following the perspective of a character fluctuating outside of space and time was both an interesting and effective method of covering the characters and events related to the upcoming arc.

And I really like the Watchmen. But this doesn't destroy the Watchmen by any means, it will just be another rendition of them with the old Watchmen still existing just fine. There are several renditions of Superman and other charcters that I outright dislike but it doesn't stop me from loving Superman.
Besides, I honestly believe that it is an interesting opportunity for Watchmen and main DC to complement eachother for better or worse. I am almost certain I'll see things I'll dislike or even outright disapprove of, but I also figure I'll see several things involving them I'll genuinely find interesting. And I repeat, it's not like they're ruining Watchmen or anything. It's not like they'll start to print new Watchmen ongoings and run the damn thing to the ground to the point where it has no soul left. It is but yet another multiversity crossover like the many others before this one.
>>
Just you wait one they the big two will make an huge crossover event that will be the new crisis event for BOTH once Marvel and DC don't know what else to do.
>>
>>83191927
Question is the more extreme one, he'd kill you for lying
>>
>>83192262
One day one of the two will buy the other. Probably not anytime soon. Perhaps not even in my own lifetime.
But one of them will outlive the other, and at that point they may buy the rights of the other and crossovers will merge.
>>
>>83191709
Shill is officially a meaningless word, like Autist, Cuck, and a myriad of other terms
>>
>>83187100
We've also seen Ozymandias and there's a possibility Gotham and Gotham Girl are Laurie and Dan.
>>
>>83192498
You're an idiot

WB and Disney will not ever need to sell DC/Marvel
>>
>>83192498
Could you even imagine Batman in the Marvel world?
He'd want to slap everyone's shit.
>>
>>83192609

Mr Oz is black you retard he isn't Ozymandias.
>>
>>83192641
Nothing lasts forever. DC and Marvel won't still be a thing the last days of man.
And before both of them inevitable perish, one will probably have absorbed the other somehow.
>>
>>83192106
>But this doesn't destroy the Watchmen by any means, it will just be another rendition of them with the old Watchmen still existing just fine.

Be honest: How depressing does it feel to live every day as the only sane man on /co/?
>>
>>83192705
Ozymandias was at the very end
>>
>>83192106
Yeah, I don't hate this, it seems interesting
>>
>>83192751
But anon, I'm not crazy, I just like Gwenpool!
>>
>>83191147
Jimmy Corrigan and We3 didn't affect the cultural milieu at all.
>>
>>83192788
or Manhattan was speaking to himself
>>
>>83192498
whats stopping warner and Disney from merging peacefully?
>>
>>83192822
meant for >>83192782
>>
>>83189232
Get the fuck out right now
>>
>>83188996
>DC killed my childhood
>comic bought in the last few years

Are you like 16?
>>
>>83192833
Ego.
There isn't much hate though. That's between Fox and Disney in a way that Fox would rather lose money than give Disney and Marvel back their rights.
>>
>>83191147
>Alan moores characters

Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' characters.

Dave still gets along with DC because he's not a whiny, entitled little bitch.
>>
>>83192919
They gave back Daredevil
>>
>>83188920
>a bunch of convulted old comics
The irony here is that the New 52 was literally more convoluted than the continuity preceding it.
>>
File: 1460227713225.jpg (8KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
1460227713225.jpg
8KB, 258x196px
>>83188996
>>83188532
>Being this upset about some comic books
>>
>>83187308
>Watchmen was never ever part of the DCU and they are explicitly disrespecting Alan Moore by using his story in a way that the clearly does not approve of
Based
>>
>>83189232
The phrase "you won't be missed" is thrown around a lot in situations like this...

But seriously. You, your friends, and people who think like you were an unwanted element and I'm glad you're going away.
>>
>>83192106
If you plan on posting this ever again, please, please do one touchup. Use "pre Flashpoint" and "post Flashpoint" rather than pre and post new52.
>>
>>83192782

That was a quote from Watchmen. It wasn't a real appearance.
>>
>>83193055
I considered whether or not I should have. And I guess I should have. But I didn't really want to get into any specifics about the nature of how things were rebooted but I also guess I wouldn't have had to.
>>
>>83186996
maybe we can have ozymandias vs batman
or Batman reading the diary of rorschach.
>i'm dropping DC
dude...
>>
>>83192944

Not by choice. The planned reboot fell apart in preproduction and they missed the deadline.
>>
>>83187308
>and they are explicitly disrespecting Alan Moore
Good. He's a hypocrite and a hack who built his fortune off the backs of other writers, and he deserves every taste of his own medicine he can get.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>83192705
Hard to tell.
>>
>>83193149
I mean, I get why you said it. But new52 is the editorial change, and Flashpoint is the in universe event where everything
>>
>>83192721

We have been saying this for 30 years. Has it happened yet?

They will die the same time as everyone else. When Disney fails to keep pushing the copyright date back.
>>
>>83186996
I'm going to read Young Animal, Vertigo and anything that doesn't hvae the old continuity they brought back
>>
>>83189577
>I mean in the sense that islamic terrorists tend to be asian.
He doesn't know.
>>
>>83189232
>us "normies"
>>
>>83192833
Antitrust laws. Actually, they also stop Warner and Disney from merging at all, not just peacefully.
>>
>>83193194
It's obviously going to be Cosmic Boy and not related to Watchmen at all.
>>
>>83193513
Too smart for /co/
>>
>>83190505
Try reading the book before posting retarded comments.
>>
>>83193663
Was meant for >>83190615
>>
>>83187818
>He created new characters based off of Charlton

After he was told he couldn't use them.
>>
>>83190721

Five of those characters are missing, dead, or in Sue's case, helping rebuild the multiverse.
>>
>>83187308
Yeah, because I'm sure all the original creators gave Moore express permission to use their characters on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Lost girls.
>>
>>83193513
I thought that only applied to situations where the new company would get a monopoly
>>
>>83186996
I didn't follow DC before, but rebirth has me interested enough to follow. I want to find out about the three jokers, and I love Manhattan as a new villain. It might diminish the impact of Watchmen itself a little but, but it's still an incredible stand alone story so its fine.
>>
Before I read Rebirth I was really annoyed about Watchmen being involved. But after reading it, I realised that Watchmen being involved isn't going to effect the original Watchmen comic in any way. It's just using the same characters for what seems like a really good comic.
>>
Reminder that Manhattan won't actually be the bad guy, it'll be Ozy who somehow stole Manhattan's powers.
>>
>>83186996
I dropped DC comics back when the Nu52 hit, only reading what /co/ determined to be actually worth it much later like Dial H For Hero or Gods And Monsters
I've been sustaining myself on classics I never got around to like Rucka's Wonder Woman and L.E.G.I.O.N.
>>
>>83193869
Disney is already a monopoly that just has the judges in their pockets. They could do it if they want.
>>
>>83192919
Why would Fox give up rights to potential multi billion dollar franchises?
>>
Whatever OP.

>tfw Abnett is DC exclusive
>>
>>83189232
But the New 52 is still canon, it hasn't just been tossed aside. It's just that now pre-52 is canon as well. Literally everybody wins.
>>
Starling back when
>>
>>83193931
So Adrian was talking to himself about himself in the third person on the past page?
>>
>>83194241

Fox's stocks will drop if they do another FF movie and they still want to keep the rights.
>>
>>83194419
Only if it's another big budget flop. They should do another shitty extra low budget one for the sole purpose of keeping the rights. It would be beyond fucking dumb of them to give up the rights, they should just sit on them until they get an actual good idea/team to make a good movie.
>>
>>83194509
>Only if it's another big budget flop.
why would it not flop?
>>
>>83194509

You can't do ashcans anymore Marvel can sue if they don't put effort into it. Hell Marvel can sue for the flops under the claim that it harmed the brand.
>>
>>83186996
So I take it you are one of the waterheads who enjoyed the nu52? By bringing back the good stuff, Rebirth could salvage DC. I just hope they remember to fix the dumpster fire that they turned Lobo into.
>>
>People pretending this is sacrilegious towards Watchmen when Before Watchmen is already a thing.
>>
File: Arthur.jpg (18KB, 330x495px) Image search: [Google]
Arthur.jpg
18KB, 330x495px
>>83194159
>Letting /co/ determine your taste

I know /co/ claims to be patrician, but really honestly sometimes it isn't.
>>
>>83188920
>several of my friends
Somehow this is the line that killed my sides
>>
>>83195161
Before Watchmen at least had the slim pretense of respecting the lore.

That whole deal with teasing Manhattan of all people to be an active villain shows this has all the chances of being a complete mess of a story.
>>
>>83192106
Very well put.
>>
>>83192782
That was the last exchange between Manhattan and Ozy before he left to another galaxy. It was just a memory.
>>
>>83195467
Johns has said he's not a villain. Barely even an antagonist. He's more of a "presence" or "entity".
>>
Johns is going to forget about this and Watchmen will never be mentioned again until the next relaunch where he kills Manhattan.
>>
>>83193696
just a joke, anon
>>
>>83195615
>tfw Pandora was in the first issue of every New 52 title
>>
>>83188769
Exactly, watchmen was used as a deconstruction of comics, and now it's characters are being used to deconstruct and criticize the state of comics today. They're serving the same purpose so what the fuck is really the problem here other than "don't disrespect muh Alan Moore"
>>
>>83191111
nice quads
>>
>>83186996
No. Now fuck off
>>
>>83195467
>That whole deal with teasing Manhattan of all people to be an active villain shows this has all the chances of being a complete mess of a story.
Johns has said explicitly that he is not a villain.
>>
File: 1463875740170.jpg (60KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
1463875740170.jpg
60KB, 706x706px
>>83198543
>It's being a deconstruction by being unironically what it's deconstructing
The mental gymnastics here is astounding
>>
The last DC book I bought new was Pax Americana

So I was already out, and nothing announced so far has me with any desire to go back.
>>
>>83191457
Does Image have anything readable yet? Pretty much forgot they existed while after reading Cyberforce/Hunter-Killer.
>>
>>83201720
PROPHET
R
O
P
H
E
T

and some other stuff, but Prophet's the best
>>
>>83201398
Implying it's mental gymnastics to see what is obviously right there in the book.

Rebirth 1 criticizes the tone of the new 52 because it's the product of an era of comic storytelling that came about as a result of successful books like watchmen. It's not mental gymnastics to notice the obvious fucking allegory.

Even Moore hated the fallout of watchmen which is why he went off to write supreme
>>
>>83186996
Yep, I'm not reading their desperate moneygrab, by buying every single title for 2 years.
>>
>>83186996
Uh, no? DC has been good overall for years and this is just saying that they're getting rid of some of the bad shit.
>>
>>83187308
Watchmen was fucking awful. Stop putting a shit comic on a pedestal
>>
>>83188769
And Rebirth is a reconstruction of what Watchmen shit on.

Only normies like Watchmen anyway. It's a pretty shit book.
>>
>>83188877
>Jamie

nobody liked spic beetle
>>
>>83188996
>mfw the salty faggots defending watchmen are all Post-Movie Secondaries

proof once again that only normies like Watchmen. It's the book you read when you hate superheroes, don't want to read comics, but want to pretend to be someone who reads comics
>>
>>83186996
I don't buy any modern comics, so I've got nothing to drop. There's just too muchbullshit going on at both of the big two. DC can's seem to figure out what overall tone or consistency they want to strike with their universe, and Marvel can't go 2 days without a new event or renumbering.
>>
>>83189232
You retards don't read comics.
>>
>>83189290
>Marvel
>Don't buy it
>>
>>83190120
There is no point to watchmen. It's a shit book.
>>
>>83190171
>I didn't read any DC books nor listen to anybody's actual complaints about New52
>>
>>83190383
>Marvel didn't market agent of Hydra

lmfao
>>
File: all-new-all-different-marvel.png (292KB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
all-new-all-different-marvel.png
292KB, 620x300px
>>83190721
That's Marvel Now, not current Marvel familia. This is current Marvel.
>>
tfw they didn't learn from Before Watchmen that no one wants this type of shit
>>
>>83187251
same here, after what Marvel did in the fucking Cap book I'm dropping that shit and going DC for the first time in years
>>
>>83186996
>Dropping DC when they're the only decent capecomics around
>muh nu52 was bad meme
Fucking pleb
>>
>>83186996

KEK

No. I just added like 12 books to my pull. Moore lost any right to complain about MUH CHARACTERS when he had Wendy Darling take massive amounts of dick
>>
>>83187040
muh forever evil was good
>>
>>83187126

This. I don't even care about all this rebirth stuff. But the comics look solid.

DC is just snatching up all the good writers and putting them on the best books with solid artists.
>>
>>83205126

This. Fuck we're even getting an Ostrander special in August and another Section 8 mini focusing on Dog Welder. Never mind all the good shit at Young Animal. I'm not big on Manhattan being used but everything else looks solid
>>
>>83191147
Aw, somebody's been triggered.
>>
Yeah fuck DC. Fuck the Big 2 in general. Anyone who is ok with this didn't understand Watchmen at all.
>>
>>83205302

Fuck Moore
>>
>>83191323
You know the sandman came out of moore's run on swamp thing, no?
>>
>>83205312
Ah, there's nothing wrong with Moore.

There's plenty wrong with people who treat him like Comics Writer Jesus.
>>
>>83205302
Watchmen sucks
>>
>>83205375

I know, I'm baiting. The guy doesn't give a fuck so why should I. This is so far away from how scummy comic companies can be that I can't believe the outrage. You guys getting mad at DC should be mad as fuck at 2000AD for what they robbed us of an how they treated all their creators
>>
>>83205445
Do tell. I don't know shit about 2000AD.
>>
File: daroa.gif (78KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
daroa.gif
78KB, 500x377px
>We're going to have to sit through a storyline where a DC hero outsmarts and kills/depowers/defeats/contains Dr. Manhattan the omniscient god

I am really not looking forward to this
>>
>>83205445
>The guy doesn't give a fuck so why should I
He's a whiny shit, he gives a huge fuck, he's just too baked and old to do anything
>>
>>83205478
Omnicient gods get beaten all the time. Why would Doctor Manhattan be special?
>>
>>83205478
New 52 Captain Atom alone could do it, but he tricked his past self into thinking his powers have limits when they effectively don't.

>>83205536
He's from Watchmen, and therefore the best ever.
>>
>>83205473

Well just one thing is that they used original artwork to plug holes in cracks to stop drafts, level tables and soak up spills and floods
>>
>>83205478

Yeah they have never done that before
>>
>>83205478
You mean like the original story where a normal human beats him? You're a complete fucking moron.
Or like a classic JLA/Legion/Avengers/Crisis story?
Commit suicide Watchmen casual
>>
>>83205625
>You mean like the original story where a normal human beats him?

Not him and you're the moron. He just pulls himself back together and says how disappointed he is in Ozy. What's impressive is that he found a way to stop Manhattan from seeing his plan. So Watchmen does show that Manhattan can be tricked and if he can be tricked he can be beaten
>>
Why is this happening? I mean with HYDRACap, I understand, because it's controversial and will get peoples attention, because it makes them angry, but this? It's not the sort of thing people are likely to more than grumble about, so I have to assume someone thought this was a good idea, and would make a good story. Why would anyone think that? Why would anyone think mixing Watchmen with the rest of the DC Universe was necessary or good, or would result in more sales?

From a purely creative standpoint, it's misguided, because you're taking characters that were defined by Moore to exist in a very specific context alternatively and socially, and you're giving them a role in a wider shared universe with a very different "standard operating procedure" so to speak.
>>
>>83187042
Yeah really, New 52 made me leave DC, now I may finally come back because I want my original characters back damnit. Based Geoff Johns, thanks for finally getting this shit rebooted back.
>>
>>83189232
Oh goddamnit, you know, we all jumped into DC comics after there was a lot of backstory,... unless we have some geriatric people in /co/. Suck it up instead of being a bitch who wants comics rebooted just for your convenience.

You're like a kid who thinks movies that came out before they were born aren't worth their time.
>>
>>83205691

>I mean with HYDRACap, I understand, because it's controversial and will get peoples attention, because it makes them angry

Hate reading is everything wrong with comics
>>
>>83205478
>Watchmen itself has Ozymandias outsmart Manhattan long enough that he fails to intervene with the grand plan
>Watchmen itself shows that all you need to get the drop on Manhattan is tachyons
>>
>>83205478
Johns said that it wasn't going to be an actual fight.

Remember, Watchmen is a comic in the DCU
>>
>>83205830
I don't think you understood the purpose of my post.
>>
File: t b a t.jpg (177KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
t b a t.jpg
177KB, 450x450px
>>83186996
>>
>>83205823

See if New 52 was a complete restart he would have a point but it wasn't. It was a complete mess that I thought would never get straightened out. Short of doing a complete reboot Rebirth was the only think DC could have done
>>
>>83205671
>What's impressive is that he found a way to stop Manhattan from seeing his plan. So Watchmen does show that Manhattan can be tricked and if he can be tricked he can be beaten
So you agree with me? Jesus.
>>
>>83205849

He also said that Manhattan isn't a villain but try getting /co/ to understand that
>>
>>83205881
Yeah the fact that the GL and Batman universes sort of just kept going while most of the rest restarted for New 52 was weird. I'm guessing because those two were selling pretty consistently well up to that point.

The sad thing is the only good comics out of New 52 were ones that did not require DC to wipe the slate clean and start over, like Dark. I'm game for Rebirth, anything is better than the current. All I've given much of a shit about lately is Grayson and Midnighter anyhow.
>>
>>83186996
why?

i see it as the same thing they did with Shazam where rhey published his solos and eventually integrated them into the main universe

Moore can fuck off, if its good ill read it
>>
>>83205900

No because he didn't really beat Manhatan. Ozy thought he killed him but Manhattan came straight back. My point was that while he did succeed in tricking him Adrian wasn't able to do anything beyond that. The main DC universe is full of people who can though
>>
>>83205941

>The sad thing is the only good comics out of New 52 were ones that did not require DC to wipe the slate clean and start over

Now we can take a glass half full look though because that also means that all the good runs won't be changed if the continuity goes further pack to post crisis. Swamp Thing wasn't changed at all which is great
>>
>>83189232
All they're really doing is reintroducing a bunch of stuff from before the New 52 back into it.

Which is nothing but a positive as far as I'm concerned. Ollie is better when he's with Dinah, Dick's better when he has his friendship with Wally, Beast Boy's better with his past from the Doom Patrol, friendship with Cyborg, and relationship with Raven in place. If basic shit like this is too convoluted, then I honestly have no idea how you managed to read the New 52.
>>
>>83205691
Are you retarded?

Watchmen is a comic that, since the 90s, people have been able to point to as the number one influence for modern comics being edgy deconstructions. Watchmen is why Captain America is a nazi.

Rebirth is a reconstruction; it's countering Watchmen and saying that Watchmen is not the be-all end-all gold standard for comics. It's just one story of many.

Watchmen is not special. It does not deserve special treatment, nor does it deserve to be treated as the sacred cow of comics. Watchmen characters are direct ripoffs of Charleston characters, not some kind of magical archetypes that should exist only in one story.

If you bitch about Watchmen being in DC you should probably also bitch about Harry Potter (who was "created to exist in a specific context") being the Antichrist in LoEG or the entirety of Lost Girls.

Pretending Watchmen deserves special treatment is ignorant and shows the typical lack of respect for the arts for people who use art as a fashion accessory.
>>
>>83205953
There's a major fucking difference between a timeless character like Captain Marvel and the self-contained period piece of Watchmen.
>>
>>83206151
well sure but what can we do, like i said it could be cool
>>
>>83206151
Captain Marvel's world was self-contained though. It had its own rules and status quo to it.
That all changed when it merged with DC, for better or worse. It has its pros and cons.
>>
>>83206135

Fucking this
>>
>>83206151
well DC both owns them, so they can do that if they want
>>
>>83205975
>beat= killed
then Batman has literally never beat an enemy since 1943
>>
>>83206135
>Watchmen characters are direct ripoffs of Charleston characters, not some kind of magical archetypes that should exist only in one story.
Right, we all want to see the continuing adventures of Nite Owl. Not like that was huge criticism that Moore was making toward the genre if we are to take superheroes seriously.
>>
>>83206194

Same for Action Comics and Detective comics.

>You know what should be added to our detective stories? An alien god jumping around in his underpants shoots lazers from his eyes
>>
>>83206212
They don't own watchmen, they stole it
>>
>>83189290
Morrisonfags are honestly worse than Moorefags
>>
>>83206262
no they own them, it was all in the contract
>>
>>83206240

Except his goal was to kill him fucking moron
>>
>>83206008
That's true but most of the good runs ended at least a couple of years ago, so it probably doesn't matter either way.
>>
>>83206242
Watchmen ends saying nothing every ends.
>>
>>83206135
B...but if Watchmen is just another comic how can I read it and pretend to know everything there is to know about comics?
>>
>>83206280
DC would lose them tomorrow if they forgot to print more copies.
>>
>>83206328
lol but they wont so its theirs
>>
File: 1358732754130.jpg (224KB, 1325x312px) Image search: [Google]
1358732754130.jpg
224KB, 1325x312px
>>83205691
>Why would anyone think mixing Watchmen with the rest of the DC Universe was necessary or good, or would result in more sales?
Because it's interesting? It's a chance for the characters of both sides to complement each other. Picture somewhat related.
>>
File: 1040461-superman_reeve.jpg (27KB, 445x363px) Image search: [Google]
1040461-superman_reeve.jpg
27KB, 445x363px
>>83206328

Good thing thanks to Rebirth sales of the trade will skyrocket. My LCS already sold all their back issues of Before Watchmen
>>
Alan Moore is in this thread
>>
>>83206242
Moore is irrelevant.
>>
>>83206285
Don't see how that contradicts what I said. Dan still wants to be a hero even though he knows he can't do anything meaningful.
>>
>>83189769
Didn't Supes die again? Thought I read that up someswhere
>>
>>83205478
>a storyline where a DC hero outsmarts and kills/depowers/defeats/contains Dr. Manhattan the omniscient god
So a typical Batman storyline in a company wide event?
>>
>>83206359

That's fucking great
>>
Dropped 5 years ago.
>>
>>83206392
Which is why they're still raping Watchmen
>>
>>83206328
And yet they won't.
>>
>>83206430
I honestly don't see how anyone could still read DC after the abortion that was Flashpoint
>>
>>83188996
>got the post movie version

W E W
>>
>>83206441
You still don't get it?

Johnsfags had been shitting on GAIMAN for 7 years already, they hate Sandman, now they want to shit on watchmen, they want every book to be simple dumb action like Johns stuff they don't give a fuck about nothing more.
>>
>>83188366
>war between hope and despair

Watchmen: despair
Pre-52 DC: hope

I am genuinely excited to see the good guys start winning again.
>>
>>83206441

>Raping

I don't see you making this thread everyday for Superman. Do you not care about Siegel and Shuster, men who are far more influential than Moore ever was.
>>
>>83206399
Old new Supes died because the last time he was exposed to kryptonite was just oooooone time too many.

But don't worry, now there's new old Supes to pick up after before Flashpoint.
>>
>>83206135
>Are you retarded?
Actually, no. I just have a different opinion than you.
>Rebirth is a reconstruction; it's countering Watchmen and saying that Watchmen is not the be-all end-all gold standard for comics. It's just one story of many.
Then they've done something stupid to make a point. I don't care about "deconstruction or "reconstruction" as ultimate goods in themselves, I care about what makes sense. You're saying it makes sense to link Watchmen to DC's larger continuity, because...it shows Watchmen fans that Watchmen isn't special? It doesn't have to be "special", in some way pertaining to quality you ninny. It exists in its own world to tell a very specific story in that world. My point about Cap is that it's stupid, but stupid in a calculated way. This seems stupid in a rather miscalculated way, that suggests someone thought it was smart.

>Pretending Watchmen deserves special treatment is ignorant and shows the typical lack of respect for the arts for people who use art as a fashion accessory.

That is a very overreaching statement, and you would realize that if you took a second to assess your arguments. It barely even makes sense as an insult. "Art as a fashion accessory"? I said Watchmen doesn't belong in wider DC, not that it's some special thing precious to me. I was puzzling over why this was done, and why it's a good idea, and you've illuminated nothing that shows that, but you have shown that you are very angry, and think that Watchmen fans need to be taken "down a peg" or something, so I think you should probably examine that.
>>
>>83206495
I dropped DC during Flashpoint. But I still decided to check out Rebirth.
I like what I am seeing of Rebirth, so I am finally in again for a while. I'll see where this goes and whether or not it will indeed redeem DC.
>>
>>83186996
I'm actually diving farther into DC now.
>>
>>83186996
>i'm not reading DC except for Batman anymore
The worst kind of people
>>
>>83206523
I've only seen Gaiman fans shitting on Blackest Night, never the reverse
>>
File: its alright to cry.gif (1MB, 431x321px) Image search: [Google]
its alright to cry.gif
1MB, 431x321px
>>83186996
OP was crying.
>>
>>83205975
we are clearly operating on different definitions of 'beat'

Ozzy had a plan. Manhattan posed a danger to his plan. Ozzy launched a campaign of psychological warfare, overt manipulation, and strategic use of tachyons to make sure Manhattan did not interfere with his plan.
His campaign worked, and his plan worked, Ozzy's plan came to fruition, and when confronted about it, Manhattan conceded that 'what's done is done' just like Ozzy knew he would.

Ozzy won, he bested Manhattan.
>>
>>83206552

Same. Even if Manhattan turns out to be shit the rest of the books look good
>>
>>83188396
As far as I'm concerned, Watchmen / Watchmen 2 is now canon within the DC multiverse, but the original Watchmen is not affected.

How many stories have featured the Mona Lisa being stolen, replaced, or destroyed? Does that make those events canonical to our universe's Mona Lisa? No. Just because Watchmen is the same medium as a story based on it, doesn't mean it is affected by it.
>>
>>83206495
Do you only read Events or something? What the fuck is wrong with you? DC has had a ton of amazing books. Out the gate New52 had one of the best Wonder Woman runs we've ever had. Omega Men just ended.

DC isn't like Marvel where you can just read events. Christ, eventsfags are cancer.
>>
>>83206545
Your opinion is wrong and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>83206592

I'm with you until
>Ozzy's plan came to fruition, and when confronted about it, Manhattan conceded that 'what's done is done' just like Ozzy knew he would.
Because it was shown that Ozzy was planning on killing Manhattan but he failed. He didn't know that he would agree with him and if he didn't Manhattan would have unraveled his plans. He lucked out
>>
>>83206592
You can't best someone who doesn't care about the outcome.
The ending of Watchmen made it clear that if Manhattan had intention to stop him, he could.
Without condoning or condemning, he let it happen and let it continue to happen.
He could have appeared in every political office in the world, instantaneously, and told them what the deal was.

Hell, Ozzy's last line was asking Manhattan whether he was right. He was looking for justification.
You don't ask the "loser" for justification
>>
File: data dice.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
data dice.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>83206661
Try to prove me wrong them.
>>
>>83206545
But Watchmen does belong in DC. It's a superhero book that belongs to DC, therefore it belongs in their universe.

Give me one good reason the Watchmen comic book should be separate from all other DC comic books.
>>
>>83206633

Well you're a sensible guy. I saw a complaint that "Watchmen is a comic in the DC universe" and that "Action Comics and Superman were comics in Watchmen" and that's when I know when I'm dealing with casuals who didn't read Multiversity
>>
>>83206552
Same to be honest.
>>
>>83206545
But it is smart.
>>
>>83206523
Give me one example of this happening, nignog.

Fuck me if the Disney Defense Force isn't out in droves today.
>>
>>83206495
But anon, flashpoint was made by johns and was forced by editorial to get rid of the old universe
this is totally different this is about johns being forced by editorial to get rid of the old universe
>>
>>83206441
Watchmen was asking for it tbqh.
>>
>>83206633
Hypertime.
>>
>>83206760

Johns wasn't forced this time
>>
>>83206800
Johns just wanted Morrison-sempai to notice him
>>
>>83206746
Johnsfags are insane.
Just go to the Darkseid war thread on the archive about Black racer and see the kind of retarded comments talkinhg about Sandman, people claiming Johns is better than fucking gaiman and that sandman was crap
>>
>>83206697
>Give me one good reason the Watchmen comic book should be separate from all other DC comic books.
Because it doesn't require you to come up with a likely sloppy reason an unrelated story ties in with a shared universe, that's the first reason right there. There may be others, depending on how well or badly the characters are integrated, but unless there's some compelling reason to outweigh the first "It requires taking up time and energy to do something unnecessary" It's already stupid.
>>
>>83206800
>wasn't forced

kek, sure that's why he went with Doc as the evil guy and we have bruce holding the fucking pin
>>
I really like how Rebirth just made New 52 into a more detailed Battleworld..
>>
>>83206859

That was his idea. Didio and Lee were going to relaunch anyway
>>
>>83206860

New 52 continuity is still going though.
>>
>>83186996
I might give Teen Titans a try because I kind of like their new designs, but yeah I'm pretty lukewarm on DC at the moment.
>>
Watchmen is a fucking masterpiece and nothing will ever top it. That being said, I'd like to see DC try to incorporate them into a new grandiose storyline. Woese-case scenario, they fail, but that that doesn't make Alan Moore's graphic novel any less provacative. I'd rather see DC try something epic and fail than to just leave such a great mythos to gather dust.
>>
>>83206915
So are a few things from Battleworld
>>
>>83206240
Batman has killed more recently than that, anon.
>>
>>83206849
So your reasoning for them not being in the universe is because people might make a story about them?

Genius
>>
>>83206968

Yeah "A few". 98% of New 52 is still going
>>
Finally got around to reading the issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it essentially saying that the post Crisis and the New 52 are one and the same universe? It's just that everyone's had their minds fucking with......that's kind of fucking genius by Johns.

He literally undid an entire reboot.
>>
>>83206991
Still don't change the fact that it's just basically a Battleworld with a bit more care put into it.
>>
>>83206989
I'm not going to insult you by acting like you are actually that bad at reading comprehension, so I'll just assume you're intentionally avoiding my point.
>>
>>83206860
Hah! Mind if I use that?

So, DC Rebirth 1 is the first DC comic I've been happy to read since Batman Beyond killed off Terry. Some dark hand has been crushing the positivity out of DC: an over reliance on Darkseid, and challenges the heroes cannot succeed against. They tried to out-Marvel Marvel, and lost. They even lost Captain Marvel.

Comics were born in a time when hope was needed, and seen as possible. Watchmen was from a time it seemed hope had died, and realpolitik was the future - not as bad as "1984", but inevitable.

And considering the politics of today, I think we're ready for Symbols Who Punch Evil once more.
>>
>>83207006

Yeah but it's not that their memories were fucked it's that Manhattan took complete sections of their timeline away. They can't remember something that didn't happen. It's why I accept that Barry was the only one that could help Wally because Speed Force fuckery always trumps time
>>
I love deconstructionist/satirical cape comics and Watchmen is one of my favorites.

I never read normal cape comics.

I still won't.
>>
>>83207081
Symbolically and metaphorically, speed beats time. Heck, speed is distance over time, so even linguistically, it makes sense. Good catch!
>>
>>83207006
yeah it's like convergence showed it's the same world, just altered.

also Im betting this is gonna be a Thy Kingdom Come kinda thing with it being Dr. Manhatten in the middle of his story and after the DCU convinces him hope and legacy are great, he decides to create life
>>
>>83207042
You didn't make a point.
>>
>>83207081
>>83207170
So if they are the same world and the same characters then what's the deal with New 52 Supes? Did Manhattan create and entirely new one since the original was plucked from the world and hidden away on Telos' world?
>>
>>83207051
Not at all, feel free, because that's exactly what it is
>>
I think you guys like talking about continuity more than reading comics
>>
>>83207199
>>83206849
>but unless there's some compelling reason to outweigh the first "It requires taking up time and energy to do something unnecessary" It's already stupid.
>>
>>83207125
>>83207081

And I think we just figured out how they will beat Manhattan. The speed force stretches all across time and creation and Barry and Wally combined are masters of it. Using that they will be able to attack Manhattan at every point in the universe, every attosecond, every molecule . Manhattan can see all of time and all of creation now all he's going to see is Wally kicking his ass.
>>
>>83207228
someone created a new one. possibly a new lois too.
>>
>>83207228

Superman was plucked out of his universe by brainiac before Flashpoint hit. This is all theory right now but the consensus is that that since Superman wasn't there Manhattan used either conner of Kal-L in his place
>>
>>83207097
There's no way you can appreciate deconstructions if you don't understand what they're about.
>>
>>83207299
is lois fake too then. And Lex I guess because he was outside the universe when it got flashpointed
>>
>>83187051
450 posts and 11 hours later how's that working out for you?
>>
>>83188523
shameful. just shameful.

you know theres a wikipedia about this right?

>Watchmen is an American comic-book limited series published by DC Comics in 1986 and 1987, and collected in 1987. The series was created by a British collaboration consisting of writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. Watchmen originated from a story proposal Moore submitted to DC featuring superhero characters that the company had acquired from Charlton Comics. As Moore's proposed story would have left many of the characters unusable for future stories, managing editor Dick Giordano convinced Moore to create original characters instead.
>>
>>83207341
Lois yes Lex no. You get too much of your info from /co/ instead of reading comics.
>>
>>83207372
But I do read comics. The last time Lex was seen before Flashpoint the Zone Child dragged him out of the universe because he couldn't get over his hate boner
>>
>>83207341

Was Lex outside the universe? And no even if he was in the bottled city he would still have been Flashpointed because Braniac put all the cities back. Superman escaped it because he went back to fight Anti-Monitor.

Oh which just reminded me of something. If Hal is and always has been the one who turned into Paralax what will they do with the Paralax who escaped convergence?
>>
>>83207347
To be fair it's turned from a shit post into an actual discussion thread.
>>
>>83207397
He wasn't dragged out of the universe by the zone child. Is this your first changed timeline story?
>>
>>83207097
Typical watchmannigger
>>
>>83205975
"He beat him by not beating him. So he really didn't beat him, but he did."

Jesus Christ I hope you're pretending to be this fucking retarded.
>>
File: we did it boys.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
we did it boys.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>people complaining about Rebirth
>no one talks about the best thing that could happen
>>
>>83207420
>>83207400
He fell into the portal and wasn't seen again till after flashpoint, it had been a while since I read it.
>>
>>83207607
He has now never fallen into that portal.
>>
>>83207551
What? What happened?
>>
I'm surprised nobody else has clicked that because of double shipping the two years until the Manhattan event perfectly aligns with Action Comics #1000
>>
>>83207674
No.

We never saw Pre-Flashpoint Lex again. He was removed, a bit like Pre-Flashpoint Superman & Louis
>>
>>83207925
Not at all like them. Time travel made it so that event never happened. Why are you too stupid to get this?
>>
File: Hows the fam.jpg (690KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hows the fam.jpg
690KB, 665x1000px
>>83207551

We all know how that goes.
>>
>>83207956
Except thats generally not how it works with DC you casual. See: COIE
>>
>>83207975
Not even Robins are safe from KILL CHILDREN OF CAPES curse.
>>
>>83207990
Getting a little defensive there. Worried that people figured out you get your info from /co/?
>>
>>83207956

Have you never read a comic? Being outside spacetime/the multiverse protects from time travel shit like that.
>>
>>83208014
Im not even the guy you replied to i just think youre a cunt, it makes perfect sense for him to have thought that Lex didnt get affected by flashpoint
>>
>>83208014
It is believable that if Lex was out of the universe he survived Flashpoint as-is.

See pre-crisis Brainiac
>>
>>83193829
So DC used those Charlton characters in the earlier COIE.
>>
>>83207551
What?

After what he did to barda and scot? why should i care?
>>
>>83208094
Justice League 50 was so fucking weird.
>>
>>83208113
>Female Furies in episode "Diapers for Darkseid!"
>>
>>83208094
They still love each other. Just a long distance relation now.
Still a step up from the Earth 2 shit that came before.
>>
>>83204718
What the fuck is Citizen V doing there, that was such a huge fucking cocktease
>Red Wolf
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Who the fuck is guy in the hoodie nex to to Thing?
>>
>>83208278
Karnak.
>>
>>83208094
Why? Barda came back for Scott, there's literally nothing stopping Scott from going back to Apokalips to be with her, Darkseid's a fucking baby. She let pass the chance of liberating Apokalips so she can team up with the Furies to save him (and yes save Darkseid but still her intention was to save Scott)
>>
>>83208313

Don't expect /co/ to understand simple motivation
>>
All this discussion and not a word about the one page that has all of my attention.
>>
File: 1460074707972.png (471KB, 525x337px) Image search: [Google]
1460074707972.png
471KB, 525x337px
>>83209785
Here's hoping they get some serious talent on this one
>>
File: 2158181-alan_moore.jpg (22KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
2158181-alan_moore.jpg
22KB, 320x320px
I guess this old interview is particularly relevant these days

>I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn’t look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.”

>I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night… That’s a good image, isn’t it? They weren’t even particularly good ideas.
>Pick up those ideas and do something new with them. Make them shine again. But, I think that it’s been a long time since the comics industry had any talent that was capable of doing that.
>I tend to see the people who run the comics industry as being largely like some variety of tapeworm or some other parasite. But, they’re not very good at it. Any self-respecting tapeworm or parasite never kills the host.

Was he right?
>>
>>83209948
>Makes a prophecy story up to explain a silly continuity issue (why did Abin Sur have a ship to crash on Earth when the ring allows you to fly)
>Gets mad when people flush it out
>>
File: smiley.jpg (143KB, 398x452px) Image search: [Google]
smiley.jpg
143KB, 398x452px
>2016
>defending Alan "fish rape" Moore
>>
>>83210016
What happened to that comic? What was the end of it?
>>
>>83186996
Fuck DC
>>
>>83210189
Now, what's your favorite comic book publisher?
>>
>>83210189
Waid please go.
>>
>>83210189
I know that's you, Quesada.
>>
What was the point of Manhattan, the only thing he did was kill off 3 people for knowing stuff Manhattan suposedly doesn't want to know for REASONS and then went back to his home planet.
All that hype pre release for this.
>>
>>83210235

Image.
>>
>>83186996
>moorecucks on suicide watch
About time.
>>
>>83192106
>In a neat way that makes sense and doesn't feel hamfisted.
Ok, dropped your post, dc/john chill
>>
>>83206135
You are retarded.
Its just another story, but its special in the context it was written, what it inspired.
And it showed what comics are able to pull off.

If you just devalue like yo do it in your post shows it, that you are the other end of the extreme. You oppose the "watchmen is the non plus ultra".

But reading your
>Harry potter in LoEG

it shows that you are subpar inteligence.
Have a nice day in your simple world, sheep anon, getting shit served because "the industry does so".
>>
>>83206262
>>83206280
>>83206358
Technically they dont own it, they have it commisioned it.
>>
>>83210566
Can't you see, dude? Comics are as edgy and dark as ever! The situation is so critical, using any sort of OC or parallel like it was done about a dozen of times in the past would fail to deliver this absolutely necessary message of hope. DC needs to slay the dragon known as Watchmen right now, only such a brave marketing mov-- i meant, metatextual commentary could make it happen!
>>
>>83207313
I've read a few bits of comics here and there before and seen enough cape cartoons to understand it perfectly, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>83187098
>Being this retarded.
>>
>>83210950
>ignorant and proud
>>
>>83210746
Watchmen fucking sucks.
>>
>>83210633
Within the confounds of the world itself it makes sense. Simply having people remember while having the old world slowly creep up on the new one without discarding the new one, is a fairly elegant execution.

Now outside of the world itself, if you start to look into the real life business economics behind all the decisions. The success versus the failure of the reboot, the demand for the old continuity, then it becomes a whole other issue entirely and one could argue it being hamfisted. But within the world itself? No.
As far as reboots transforming worlds are concerned, this one looks like it has a very elegant execution.
>>
>>83186996
good, one less retard
>>
>>83211759
You probably have a low iq if you enjoyed dc rebirth
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.