[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic Book Collecting/Hoarding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: th.jpg (27KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
27KB, 300x225px
How do you manage your comics? Do you simply throw away the ones you don't like? Go after variant covers? Trying to save every single issue in hopes you'd strike rich?

Tell me your secrets on organizing and collecting.
>>
I buy what I enjoy reading. Fuck variant covers.
>>
>>82557504
I was asking about how do you maintain your collection and organization or do you throw them away when you're done?

Why the hate for variants?
>>
>>82557504
This. The only value I place on a comic is my enjoyment of it. If I end up not enjoying a series then I put it in the trade/sell box to take back to my LCS for credit. As for storage, it's just longboxes.
I am steadily working on collecting all of v2 of Daredevil. I'm down to like 15 issues needed.
>>
>>82557625
stupid /qst/ making me keep posting with a name.

>>82557578
Some are nice, and even tempting to buy, but comics are a storytelling medium, not a collection hobby. Variant covers reinforce the wrong concept.
>>
I treat any singles I get as trash. They're not precious objects.
>>
>>82557625
Do you ever re-read the issues? I find myself never touching my comics after reading them once.

>>82557662
but variants could make a bad cover into a good one, and if the story is good wouldn't it be better to have a good looking cover?

>>82557665
They could become precious but it happens very rarely and takes a long time depending on the importance of the issue.
>>
I only buy collected editions. Makes up for a nice looking library, guarantees that I won't miss an issue, featurees special content, and is less of a mess alltogether
>>
>>82559229
Makes sense, I should probably start doing that myself.
>>
>>82557811
>They could become precious but it happens very rarely and takes a long time depending on the importance of the issue.

That speculator shit ruined the comic industry.

> Do you ever re-read the issues?
Yeah all the time. I only keep something if I think I'll want to read it again
>>
>>82559229
If you follow a series to its completion, it will still stack up to a lot of volumes, but you know... better to have 9 n52 batman booklets with variant covers and annual issues included, than 50 issues +extras
>>
>>82559358
>That speculator shit ruined the comic industry.

but it also HELPED the industry as well

>Yeah all the time. I only keep something if I think I'll want to read it again

What if the issues are iconic? Like Spiderman issue 700, or reprints of important first appearance of certain villians or events, are those worth keeping to you?
>>
>>82559296
sorry, this >>82559429 was meant for you
>>
>>82559515
Do you follow the series regardless who is currently writing? I can see how it could stack pretty quickly but it wouldn't be as bad if you know you hate a specific author.
>>
by the time they pull out collected stuff, the reviews are already everywhere and I might have a decent knowledge of the quality of the run, or even seen it here in some story time.

I can measure myself so I can wait for a long time between purchase and purchase. Even if sometimes it sucks to wait, it steel feels awesome to be done with a whole arc in just one/two booklets tops

also, the shit you get in classic graphic novels is really worh it
>original scripts with writer commentary
>early sketches
>etc.
>>
>>82559556
again, this >>82559718 was for you
I don't know wtf is wronf with me today, sorry
>>
>>82559742
Thanks for the suggestion ill probably start doing that since i dont mind waiting.
>>
File: 1461101042753.gif (1MB, 386x286px) Image search: [Google]
1461101042753.gif
1MB, 386x286px
>>82559785
there's always new stuff to try out while you wait. For example, if I'm waiting for a volume, I take a "sneak peak" at things I might be interested in that are already out, and if it feels right, I buy the arc . That's my usual MO.
glad I could help
>>
>>82557811
>but variants could make a bad cover into a good one, and if the story is good wouldn't it be better to have a good looking cover?

The problem is that variants exist to get people to buy multiple copies they don't need, and even though yeah, that's those people's choice, it still feels exploitative. Plus (correct me if I'm wrong) variants increase scarcity, driving up the prices of the comics in the aftermarket, screwing over people who want to buy the comic but not immediately when it comes out. And if people know it'll be more expensive to buy in the aftermarket, it drives them toward buying directly from the publisher, which just feels disrespectful and exploitative.
>>
I know alot of /co/ read comics on pc/tablet either legally or otherwise. And this is what i do. Except for one addition. I have about a terabyte of comics wich is about 50k give or take, i have about half of them in my tablet. I do this by converting every cbr/cbz to its archive file en mass, extracting them and converthing then to smaller files getting about a 50mb comic to anywhere from 2-4 mb per comic. I do this because i read mostly on my tablet and honestly i see little differance in quality.i also buy comics, i have a monthly pull list of at least 20-30 that i download on my tablet and read. i just put them in my army of short boxes for storage. I do this because i do care about collector value and they do get me money back if im in a tight money spot. But the main reason i do this is to support the comic industry including my lcs, artists and writers. I also buy key issues of characters i like. i am a small scale comic seller on ebay so i buy peoples collections keep what i want and sell the rest which are usually doubles of what i have.which gets me a couple hundred a month that put about half back into comics.
>>
>>82557625
>The only value I place on a comic is my enjoyment of it

Agreed, hence why I tend to just buy stuff out from the quarter bins when I go to comic book stores. A lot of the comics I read are older ones, particularly Malibu Ultraverse and Valiant. They have more meaning to me personally than any modern comic could ever have
>>
>>82560115
I understand what you're saying, but at the same time it's nice to have the option between covers. The aftermarket is not done by the company itself but the consumers that drive up the prices and others simply follow suit.

>>82560209
Atleast you're actually buying them to support the industry and not completely shafting everybody by being a cheap skate.
>>
>>82560347
yea, i spend about 3-4k a year, recently my husband has been having medical issues so he doesnt have a job atm so i have had to stop my pull list in march. but as soon as he is well again i'm going to bring it back
>>
>>82560347
>The aftermarket is not done by the company itself but the consumers that drive up the prices and others simply follow suit.

That's just supply and demand. By reducing supply (increasing scarcity using variant covers), the companies increase demand, which raises prices in the aftermarket. So, if people want to avoid the aftermarket spike, they're forced to buy comics immediately upon release directly from the companies.
>>
>>82560325
Do you keep the issues or do you toss them after you're done?

>>82560428
sounds good
>>
>>82560456
Well yeah, anything after a period of time is considered a financial loss so of course they'd need to try and get people to buy the comics asap
>>
>>82560459
sorry that 3-4k shoud be 2-3k, typo
>>
>>82560497
That's still an awful lot.
>>
>>82560581
yea, but its because i support it from selling comics as well.
>>
>>82560601
So basically you're a scalper
>>
>>82560648
well, i buy collections from people, and if there is a valuable comic i will sell it if i already have it or dont want it. i dont buy 20 comics that just came out and resell them if they are valuable after a week or two like edge of spiderverse 2 or what ever
>>
>>82560805
oh ok. Do you collect out of the need to have certain issues and never touch them again to retain value or do you go back to certain issues every so often? Do you have a limit how many issues you keep?
>>
>>82560868
im just a Obsessive-Compulsive collector that is obsessed with having perfect comics and my favorite issues.
>>
>>82560954
Would you say you're a hoarder of comics?
>>
>>82561041
eh idk. i have 30 short boxes, stacked and organized nicely used as a counter/shelf.
>>
>How do you manage your comics?
Used to read everything right away then bag and file in long boxes. My current method is: PILES!
>Do you simply throw away the ones you don't like?
Been giving the ones I don't want to keep to my cousin's kids.
>Go after variant covers?
If I like it better than the regular and it isn't marked up more than a buck or two, sure. Otherwise no.
>Trying to save every single issue in hopes you'd strike rich?
No, hence the piles.
>>
File: 20160430_082007.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160430_082007.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I try to buy just trades and hcs, but I maintain a pull list at my lcs to help support them, it's the first comic shop we've had in town in the past 20 years! What I've been doing is using thumb tacks to hold up the sides of the comics to display them on my wall since I don't have the right sized frames yet. The others that I don't hang up are stored inside a few boxes that I got from the Marvel Collector Corps. As shit as the items in those boxes are, the boxes themselves are sturdy and just the right size to hold trades or single floppies.

The spider island comics I got in a big ass box of singles that a friend of mine traded me for a pair of broken dusty paint ball guns.
>>
>>82561524
>>82561775

both unique ways of dealing with collecting.

So far each person who has answered me has given me a completely different answer besides bag and board and store in a box.

This has been very inspiring, especially with >>82561775 idea of openly displaying comics on the wall.
>>
After two months of going deep into comics, I stopped buying floppies.

Now I pirate and buy trades.

Comics aren't a 'profitable' hobby for me. I hate seeing that aspect being treated like the most important (like on that Comic Book Men or whatever it is called show. I fucking hate that show.)
>>
File: 20160405_104504.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160405_104504.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>82562047
They are still bagged and boarded, and the tacs don't go through the plastic at all which is nice. I just hate the shade of green my room I and wanted some wall art other than my Freddy vs Jason teaser poster. I really like the idea of comics covering my wall. Makes for some good wall-art, I would suggest getting frames, while tacs are working for me, it would be less tacky if they were actually framed.

The boxes shown here are what I was talking about
>>
>>82556525
I read them, then i have some vertical filing boxes I organize them alphabetically. Otherwise i have shelves for trades and hardcovers.
>>
>>82562218
I'm aware of the boxes, I have recieved Marvel Collector Corps in the past.

Are you planning to frame them based on story arc? art?
>>
>>82562282
When I finally do get frames, the ones on display will change week by week, I think switching it up will be a great way to help keep things fresh.

Boxes are not worth 30 fucking dollars...the villain shirt was cool, and the patches are cool, and my Venom bobble head Keychain is cool, but I don't give a shit about the pop heads, and so far each comic that has been shipped with them was a huge dissapoint. Why the fuck was Ironman 1 in the villains box??
>>
File: 1234.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>82562047
i hang some of my fave,expensive comics on the wall
>>
>>82562450
Im actually jealous by a couple of those and actually own a few myself.

>>82562425
I don't mind it, you get a shirt, a comic and pop stuff that equals the value. I stopped getting it because I'm more into DC. If you don't like your pop stuff you can sell them on ebay for a decent price.
>>
>>82562525
lol yea, this took some time and luck. as you can see my obsessive compulsive collecting, i have every robin first appearance except for dick, which is 10-20k for a decent copy. plus every major TT first appearance save a couple
>>
>>82562644
What frames did you use?
>>
>>82562835
ok thanks
>>
>>82562768
the 4x4 comics are called comicbook showcase frames from BCW i think. the 3x4 are in toploaders being held in by c-channel bars you can get at home depot for 8 bucks for 8ft
>>
File: shadowman19.jpg (97KB, 457x700px) Image search: [Google]
shadowman19.jpg
97KB, 457x700px
>>82560459
>Do you keep the issues or do you toss them after you're done?

I torrent a lot of comic books, as I'm sure most of /co/ does. When I read something that I enjoy, I almost always go out of my way to buy a physical version of it. My collections of the Malibu Ultraverse and 90's Valiant are fairly sizable, I have almost the entire runs of numerous series, namely Shadowman, Prototype, and Rune

My collections of Bloodshot and Shadowman are so dear to me that I actually keep them tucked away in the drawer of my bedside nightstand so that I can have them close to me
>>
>>82556525
I own about 500 comics, excluding graphic novels. I keep the individual issues in a trunk, and order them by number and series.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.