[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDGAR WRIGHT'S "ANT-MAN"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 4

File: 1462273274954.jpg (537KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1462273274954.jpg
537KB, 1000x1500px
We dodged a bullet.

>In Wright's draft, Lang is an petty criminal who has been arrested multiple times and Pym is a mad scientist obsessed with his legacy. Both characters were much less sympathetic than their movie counterparts.

>Hope Van Dyne had a minor role.

>Scott's crew was formed by eight different criminals, who all had minor roles.

>Darren Cross would become the Nano-Warrior rather than the Yellowjacket.

>Maggie and Paxton had larger roles. Scott, Maggie and Paxton would be childhood friends, and Scott and Paxton would have always competed for her affections. Paxton would been a petty crook before becoming a policeman, and much less sympathetic towards Scott.

>The final battle between Ant-Man and Nano Warrior would've taken place at a high-speed car chase.

>Reed's revisions added Scott's sympathetic backstory; Pym's more sympathetic characterization; a larger role for Hope; Scott's crew being condensed into Luis, Dave and Kurt; the Quantum Realm; Ant-Man fighting the Falcon; and reduced roles for Maggie and Paxton, with Paxton being a more sympathetic character.
>>
>Hope Van Dyne had a minor role.

Sounds better already
>>
Sounds like we would have gotten a Mark Millar type of story.
>>
>>82438097
>The final battle between Ant-Man and Nano Warrior would've taken place at a high-speed car chase.
Why would shrink powered people fight in a car chase?
>>
>>82438097
So where is the source on this?
>>
>Juan Punch Man would have been a minor role
Best timeline confirmed
>>
>>82438166
Because it's zany.
>>
>>82438097
>Nano-Warrior
Can't find anything on this guy. Is he an OC?
>>
File: ARE YOU KIDDING ME.png (193KB, 327x431px) Image search: [Google]
ARE YOU KIDDING ME.png
193KB, 327x431px
Ant Man was great, but you seriously don't think Edgar Wright would have made it the GOAT capeshit?
>>
>>82438252
Yes.
>>
>We dodged a bullet.
maybe if you're a faggot. this sounds way better than what we got.
>>
>>82438097
>>Maggie and Paxton had larger roles. Scott, Maggie and Paxton would be childhood friends, and Scott and Paxton would have always competed for her affections. Paxton would been a petty crook before becoming a policeman, and much less sympathetic towards Scott.

Sounds way better than
>Look at me, I'm a stereotypical new and douchy boyfriend and I don't like you, mr. ex-con
>so you brought a murderer to my house and nearly had my step-daughter killed, but I guess I have to like you because the plot needs everybody to have a happy ending

The role was complete waste of Bobby's time.
>>
>>82438356
I enjoyed it. It's rare for movies to portray the ex-wife's new husband/daughter's new stepfather so sympathetically
>>
>>82438097
That sounds fucking horrible.
>>
>>82438097
>>In Wright's draft, Lang is an petty criminal who has been arrested multiple times and Pym is a mad scientist obsessed with his legacy. Both characters were much less sympathetic than their movie counterparts.
That's really not much of a change.

And considering Hank's entire character was "hah, remember that dumb kid I mentored? let me screw him over so he can never be as good as me" and scott was "dur, sure thing" it probably wouldn't have had much an effect on how sympathetic they were
>>
>>82438097
Thank you based Peyton Reed

I like Edgar, but this sounds like him phoning it in. If he had been minimally confident in the result, he wouldn't have taken 8 years to start filming it.
>>
>>82438368
The guy in 2012 seemed to be a decent man but of course he had to die so the protagonist and his wife can get back together.

I was half-expecting Paxton to die too.
>>
>>82438252
Just like Yellowjacket is an OC is this movie
>>
>>82438263
Edgar Wrong is a shit.

He does action comedy well, but that's it. His humour in general is not that good either, just as I've said, his visual comedy.
>>
>>82438368
Agreed, it was subtle but a nice positive portrayal of a family dynamic Hollywood always screws up

Didn't try to force the parents back together, didn't portray the ex wife as a bitch, didn't portray the step dad as a douche, didn't portray Scott as a total deadbeat (he had been, but his redemption was his motivation for most of the film)

It wasn't a big part of the movie but it's nice to see them do something right
>>
>>82438496
Yellowjacket is at least a name/power set grafted on from another character, I couldn't find anything by the name of nanowarrior
>>
>>82438097
Is anything that the MCU canĀ“t do well?
>>
>>82438346
>calls him a faggot
>yet he has a name for no reason
>>
>>82438713
The Mandarin
>>
>>82438484
Which sucks because they totally set him up with the Russian's wife.
>>
>>82438097
Source op's ass. There weren't these big rewrites.
>>
>>82438713
Superman.
>>
>>82438097
I don't know, I'm not sure how much Hope Van Dyne help the plot along.
>>
>>82438263
only if like like more pot smoke drunk humor
>>
Finally watched it a week ago. Pretty fun ride personally. I'm honestly more happy they seem to finally be embracing the weirdness/goofiness of the world. Have to see if they really do but I was happy they didn't try to make it fairly serious like with most of MCU.
>>
>>82438746
then they had to kill her too
man for such a shit movie, it's mildly unforgettable due to how annoyed it made me
>>
>>82438097
>>Scott's crew was formed by eight different criminals, who all had minor roles.
Ha. And some of you said three was too much

>Maggie and Paxton had larger roles. Scott, Maggie and Paxton would be childhood friends, and Scott and Paxton would have always competed for her affections. Paxton would been a petty crook before becoming a policeman, and much less sympathetic towards Scott.
Wow, this sounds like the stuff I was afraid was going to be in the movie but wasn't.
>>
>>82438097
Wright fucking blooooooooooooooows and I'm glad he and his fans got BTFO
>>
As much as I like Wright, his version seems extremely cynical.
>>
>>82439689
It doesn't surprise me, his sense of humor is quite cynical. Just watch The World's End, one of the most cynical comedies ever.
>>
>>82438751
There notoriously were, Edgar.
>>
>>82439779
The characters in that were still likeable. Everyone in his Ant-Man movie sounds like kind of a dick.
>>
>>82439779
But World's End was funny as hell and had endearing characters despite making fun of them
>>
>>82438097
Sounds like shit.
>>
File: 1458835669362.jpg (255KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1458835669362.jpg
255KB, 1200x900px
I don't know if this is true or not, but I read on /co/ somewhere that the original script had Pym as the surprise twist villain at the end. Any truth to this?

I'd be down with it.
>>
>>82438484
Fuck that movie
>Kill the nice guy boyfriend
>Kill the qt nice russian woman
>Treat the fat government guy as evil even though he made the right call everytime
>>
Edgar's Ant-Man probably wouldn't fit inside the MCU but I'm still interested in what the end product would be, it could make a good standalone movie.
>>
>>82439779

>The World's End
>Cynical

Nigga what fucking movie did you watch.

The World's End celebrated extended adolescence just as much as it condemned it.

So Why don't you get back in your rocket ship and fuck off back to legoland, ya cunt.
>>
>>82439961
That was true. And personally I hate it.

Top dad Pym is best Pym
>>
>>82439961
Nope. People like >>82440113 like to claim it is, but there has never been anything saying this.
>>
>>82438097
>In Wright's draft, Lang is an petty criminal who has been arrested multiple times
As opposed to Reed's draft, which depicts Lang as a petty criminal who has been arrested exactly once.
>>
>>82440020
Which would have been a great film in itself just a "cool guy" coming to understand he needs to grow up.

Then the fucking aliens enter the picture.
>>
>>82440507

The Aliens were a pretty obvious metaphor for growing up and conforming.

And the film was critical of that too.
>Starbucking man, its happening everywhere.

The World's end is fucking 10/10.

Fuck off ya big lamp
>>
The World's End is worth it just for the build up to this moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEk2ZBZGsa0

Sorry sorry - I'll stop. I just love this movie so much.
>>
>>82439779
The World's End is one of my favorite movies of all time. Like, in my top three. It's a genuinely emotional story on top of being a fun sci-fi action-comedy. This idea that everything has to either be a comedy or a drama stops the kind of movies that I actually enjoy from taking on subjects that I'm able to relate to. Wright is one of the most entertaining directors there is, but The World's End is his only movie with substance, in my opinion. I want all his future movies to be like that.

tl;dr I hate your opinion.
>>
>>82438733
Well played sir
>>
>>82440507
Good fantasy stories use the fantastical elements as allegories for real things. You've been so exposed to bad fantasy stories that you've become incapable of detecting allegories when they stand you right in the face. I take it you saw Shaun of the Dead before seeing The World's End.
>>
>>82438097
thats a nice story OP its just having 75% of the movie filmed in Wrights style kinda disagrees with you.
>>
>>82439966
Oliver Platt had a good point, but was going about it in a needlessly dickish way.
>>
>>82438097
infinitely better.
>>
Don't mind me, I'm just in the thread to collect the salt from bitter Wright-fags.
>>
>>82438173
This

imma need dat link
>>
>>82438346
>cqcbro
Nice troll post
>>
People that defend Marvel's decision to fire Edgar Wright are everything that is wrong with our culture.
>>
>>82440791
You're projecting.
>>
>>82441189
People who believe the behind-the-scenes drama of a superhero movie can in any way reflect culture are what's wrong.
>>
>>82441221
CARLOS
>>
>>82441241
It's a classic example of creativity being stifled for financial reasons, I'm not sure if you're aware but mainstream movies in general are being significantly streamlined and dumbed down as the bottom line becomes the only thing that matters. And people who defend decisions that result in more of the same shit that reinforces a status quo that is fast approaching complete creative bankruptcy are a big problem.
>>
>>82441360
That's entirely based on perspectives
Sure, the studios also have to work as a company and reason as such, but I'm sure a lot of people would agree that allowing Ant-man to be part of the MCU counts as a creative decision

Plus holy shit, get outside and try think of some real problems, Hollywood has always been like this, particularly unique movies were never the norm no matter how many examples from the past decades you can think of
>>
>>82438097

Sauce on this one, because I'm pretty sure that Peyton said that they just added the Quantum realm and that the Thomas TTE fight was from the previous draft.
>>
>>82441360
Where exactly is there any dumbing down in this movie? Please, do oint out the examples.
Wright was a primadonna faggot and wanted a separate movie from continuity. If you were writing an event-tie in for the big two that's about 8 years late and then started throwing bitchfits over continuity I'd imagine editorial would also fire your ass immediately.
>>
>>82441446
Edgar Wright was working on Ant-Man for 12 years, long before Iron Man came out. They booted him from a passion project of his largely because he wouldn't place a blatant advertisement in his movie. If you don't think this is emblematic of larger problems, and can't see a consistent decline in creativity and ambiguity in popular culture in the last decade then I don't know what to tell you. But props on the irony of telling me to go outside and think of real problems on the internet.
>>
>>82441189
>fire Edgar Wright

He wasn't fired, it was mutual. They made a joint statement.
>>
>>82441587
8 years, and it was a project he kept putting off to do other shit. So when he came back and Marvel wanted something different, since you know, it was 8 years after he started working on it, he quit
>>
>>82441566
Yes, everyone must adhere to the strict tenets of large corporations or else they get shunned and labelled primadonna faggots. God forbid we ever get a superhero movie that stands on its own or has actual substance.
>>
>>82438097
I myself never had a doubt in his scripts, but when Whedon said he liked it and it was one of the best cape scripts he read, little to say I had some worries.
>>
>>82441587

>advertisements

He quit over the Peggy and Howard scene in the beginning of the movie, which was seriously like 90 seconds long.

If you're that unwilling to bend on any aspect of your Hollywood film you probably shouldn't be making Hollywood films. Pretending that any and all compromises are the death of art is a child's mentality.
>>
>>82441603
>>82441629
I think the fact that he kept coming back to it for a decade before the MCU was even a thing speaks much louder than a "joint statement" or "wanting different things".
>>
>>82441446
I would claim that an Ant-Man movie being made at all is testament to the astounding insight the producers at Marvel have.
Defending their overall creation from the encroachment of a director seems more than justified.
This is not an idea pitched to the studio, this is one part of an overarching concept that needs to fit in with the other parts.
You simply can't insist to make a square peg for a round hole.
This really isn't some old farts demanding the film to have more tits and explosions or to drop an offensive storyline.
>>
>>82441659
He had a decade to make his movie and he wouldn't had to adhere to any continuity at all.
Your aeteur faggotry system doesn't work with these kinds of movies, doesn't mean there's any stifling of creativity, Gunn's having the time of his life making weird space shit right now.
All of the phase 3 directors and writers work in the same building now and consult with each other constantly on how to keep their respective characters consistent.
>>
>>82441587
>Edgar Wright was working on Ant-Man for 12 years, long before Iron Man came out. They booted him from a passion project of his largely because he wouldn't place a blatant advertisement in his movie.
He could have had made the movie any way he wanted, had he not waited this long. He could have made his film then everyone else would have to work around his work. But he ended up wanting to do something else and they let him, but when he came back MCU became a connected univerese while he was gone. He didn't want a connected universe, so he is gone.
>>
>>82441702
Pretending that you know the exact inside baseball of a multi-millionaire dollar movie is a pretty childish mentality too. And so is arguing that art isn't dying on the mainstream cultural scale.
>>
>>82438097
>Paxton finally gives Scott the benefit of the doubt and even bends the rules a little so he won't go to jail again
>Scott falls in with the fugitive Avengers and wrecks an airport the very next year

Astonishing Ant-Man? More like Irredeemable!

Seriously, Scott. That's a fucked up thing to do to Cassie just so you could shake hands with Captain America.
>>
>>82441770
>>82441777
Enjoy the next decade of your factory-made Disney products.
>>
>>82441702
Yeah. A director forced to compromise gave us the good Star Wars movies. An unbound Lucas gave us the bad ones.
Directors on big projects going bonkers or mad with power is a common event.
That's why some kind of opposition is always healthy to reign in the raging ego you need to make a movie.
>>
>>82441831
>Enjoy the next decade of your factory-made Disney products.
I just watch what I like to watch. I don't care if it is "artistic" or not. Bad is bad, good is good, I don't give a shit about art.
>>
>>82441857
>I don't give a shit about art

Thanks for summing it up for me
>>
>>82441874
I'm sorry but you're the biggest faggot in the universe for searching for art in the first place in a disposable summer tentpole movie.
Fuck off back to /tv/ already.
>>
>>82441843
And the newest Star Wars was a paint-by-numbers remake of the originals. Nothing will ever be allowed to fail again. Risky ventures are virtually non-existent. Nothing matters except the bottom line. This is not a good thing.
>>
>>82441831
>no retort
gg no re
>>
>>82441799

>Art is dying

You're on drugs, we're in a fucking golden age of indie filmmaking and TV. Anyone with a digital camera can make a film for ten grand and throw it on VOD or submit it to film festivals and it can get recognition. And there's something liek 400 scripted TV shows coming out this year, there's literally too much TV coming out and the creative floodgates have been open.

Your argument only works for big--budget Hollywood films.

>>82441831

>factory made

Oh grow up. Working for Disney does not automatically mean your creativity is sucked out of your brain and you're a corporate zombie, creative people are creative people even if they work for big mean corporations.

You remind me of those retards that get triggered every time someone wants to talk about the deeper thematic elements of TFA, because you decided it was going to be formulaic before it came out and anyone who wants to talk about it beyond shitposting must be some Disney-shill.
>>
>>82441923
You're on a comics and cartoons board you oblivious moron. Two of the most historically deemed artistically bankrupt mediums that miraculously have countless people finding artistic merit in them. Keep telling people what is and isn't art you miserable ignorant fuck.
>>
>>82442024
You're the only miserable person here, you bitter clown.
>>
>>82438097
infinitely horrible
>>
>>82442024
Then what are you doing on it? Shitposting? Yeah thought so
>>
>>82441993
>Anyone with a digital camera can make a film for ten grand and throw it on VOD or submit it to film festivals and it can get recognition. And there's something liek 400 scripted TV shows coming out this year, there's literally too much TV coming out and the creative floodgates have been open.

Bullshit.

Distribution is a massive pain in the ass these days. Its not easier ask anyone in the business and they'll tell you that in many ways its more difficult.

There are no mid budget studios and production companies anymore.

Canon Films is the perfect example.
They used to rely on territories and Blockbuster rentals because the box art was interesting.

No one sees a movie blind anymore. No one rents from a shelf.

The internet has made access easier for the consumer but for anyone looking to distribute and experiment is a fucking nightmare.

You're competing with the entire world and internet now.
Thats why film makers are forced to play it safe. They can't risk scaring off potential viewers because of how easy it is for them to find something else.
>>
>>82441551
It was, but it led to the chase.
>>
>>82442077
I'm miserable too.
>>
>>82441993
The golden age of TV is over, YouTube is dragging down instead of elevating artistic discussion, and mainstream movies and media still dictate a larger portion of public consciousness and thought than indie movies ever will. Despite thematically complex mainstream movies having been proven to be successful in the past they have all but disappeared because they require more effort. And you're fucking detached from reality if you think that there was an effort put in to the deeper thematic elements of TFA.
>>
>>82441929
I am sure the similarities of events to A New Hope were not a decision from cowardice but a bow towards the originals. At the same time the tabula rasa approach to the EU is equally bold and committed to the movie.
I am quite certain "the character in the cool armor isn't really important before the second movie" was not demanded by the studio, but kind of an injoke.
Also, aside from touching upon major milestones, there is nothing really copied there.
I experienced it as a demonstrative passing of the torch, which is a bit hammy, but with the amount of movies to come it is not entirely unwarranted.
I will take a good bike from the factory over the abomination you cobble together in your shed any day.
>>
>>82438134
why?
>>
>>82442156
>There are no mid budget studios and production companies anymore.
A thousand shitty monster movies and Christian prayer-flicks a year would disagree.
>>
>>82442309

>Not Seeing "God's Not Dead 2: This time we get the bastard"
>>
File: 1452357042425.jpg (38KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1452357042425.jpg
38KB, 500x370px
>>82442219
God, what is it about TFA that triggers people so fucking much?
90% of the EU was either shit or perfectly mediocre and skippeable
>>
>>82442367
>GOD'S NOT DEAD YET3 - RESURRECTION
>>
>>82442443
>3 Days Later - A 'God's Not Dead' Story
>>
>>82442218

>And you're fucking detached from reality if you think that there was an effort put in to the deeper thematic elements of TFA.

Yes anon, I'm sure the movie where every major character is obsessed with the legacy of the characters and organisations of the original trilogy made a story that followed the major beats of ANH entirely by accident. It sure couldn't have fit in thematically with a post-war universe made up by people obsessed with living up to the legacy of people they couldn't ever hope to live up to despite trying their best to do.

This was clearly the biggest coincidence in writing history and not a story talking about the gigantic influence the Original Star Wars trilogy had on popular culture and how frustrating it is to have to be the follow-up act on one of the defining pieces of pop culture.

And I'm sure it's also a coincidence that the two biggest heroes are the ones ones who stop obsessing over their past and finally decide to live on with what they have and who they are, clearly this couldn't have been talking about how the only way this series can continue on is if they branch out from the OT at some point.

Clearly this is just the biggest coincidence of all time.
>>
>>82442437
I wasn't triggered.
>>
>>82442513
This might be the biggest projection I've ever seen. They didn't even spend time establishing basic character motivations and backstories, had incoherent and inconsistent world building which is arguably the most important aspect of the series, and you're arguing that it was a meta-commentary on the cultural reception to Star Wars? It was a fucking commercial. You are a fucking commercial.
>>
>>82442625
>This might be the biggest projection I've ever seen
Then you haven't seen that 14 post copypasta defending BvS. Which is weird because it gets posted like five times a day.
>>
>>82442625
I am positive I can identify the motivation of every character just fine and I only have seen it once.
>>
>MUH COMIC LORE

god forbid we get something different. Ant-Man was a generic by-the-numbers superhero movie and i'm surprised so many anons prop it up as something better
>>
Gunn pointed out that alot of directors had a tough time because of the creative comitee, and Feige and Wright pretty much had a long lasting relationship.
>>
>>82442565
Oh, shit, I totally misread your post, sorry
>>
>>82442651
>>82442687
Are you guys shills? It's weird that you tried to shift the topic of conversation to another Disney product.
>>
>>82442625

>movie is about a set of villains who are obsessed with the legacy of people who they are desperate to live up to but they need to make it BIGGER and SCARIER and are shown to be pathetic and weak because of it

>heroes are obsessed with their won pasts but are shown to succeed when they finally throw off the shackles of their past and live in the present and define their own destiny

>just projecting

It's literally what the fucking movie is about. I don't have to talk about how it connects to religious symbolism or fucking Russian poetry or Excalibur or any other outside source, this is the literal plot of the story.
>>
>>82442792
You are projecting the villains motivation. We have no idea why the Empire still exists and why the people at the top give a shit. There is nothing to indicate that the heroes are obsessed with their own past. The only one who throws off shackles is Finn and he does it in two fucking seconds and forgets about it immediately. The plot is the plot of A New Hope. It's a commercial designed to sell the next ten Disney Star Wars movies. You are projecting so hard.
>>
>>82442625
>hey didn't even spend time establishing basic character motivations and backstories
so, uh, just like A New Hope?
>>
>>82441821
>implying cassie wasn't absurdly proud of her dad teaming up with captain america to kick iron-man ass
>>
>>82443355
It's funny how people complain about TFA for taking all the good stuff from ANH, but suddenly when it comes to the "bad" stuff it's all a TFA exclusive

The easiest example is how, somehow, Luke saying "fucking around in the desert made me a pilot!" is different from Rey saying "fucking around in the wrecked spaceships made me a fixer!"
>>
>>82439817
That's because Simon Peg and the fatguy are good actors, know how to work things out and have a great dynamic going on between them.
>>
>>82439779
yeah there's a reason for the dour tone in that tho, his best mate he had done the others with was dying so he wanted to get out one last hurrah
>>
>>82442928
So...you haven't seen TFA?
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.