[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sports comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Fantasy_sports-cover.jpg (402KB, 721x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy_sports-cover.jpg
402KB, 721x1000px
Anyone know of any western sports comics? I know there's plenty of mangu for it, but for Western stuff I've only come across pic related and Harlem Heroes
>>
>>82414723
With recent developments in aquaman I would expect some sports in the next few issues
>>
>>82414723
There were a few mediocre ones in the Golden Age. Not really any now.
>>
>>82414723
Marvel tried a manga-tennis comic and it was shit
>>
The Boxer by Reinhard Kleist
>>
>>82414723
Nobrow always put out dope shit and I quite like Sam Bosma.
>>
>>82414890
Shut up, casual

>>82414723
Strange Sports Stories by Vertigo
Mara from Image
Play Ball by Oni
Superman Vs Muhammad Ali, a DC classic
Southern Bastards by Image has a very good arc based around CFB
Andre the Giant by First Second (daily reminder wrestling is not a sport, but it's a great comic nonetheless) and there's a sequel I haven't read.

There's a bunch I can't remember right now.
>>
Someone pls dump OP's comic

On the Meinwhile I'll rec OP Play Ball, it was B&W from a small publisher but it was amazing.
>>
>>82415704
One or two of those at most are "sports comics", you retarded faggot.
>>
File: fantasy.jpg (449KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy.jpg
449KB, 700x466px
>>82415571

The first Fantasy Sports was mostly OK; the fancy big euro album format wasn't really suited for Bosma's artwork, but I think it was originally a self-published thing.

I'm a bit disappointed the series is going to be just the girl being great at everything instead of self-contained stories though
>>
>>82415704
If you're counting biographical comics about sports figures then those two Wilfred Santiago did about Roberto Clemente and Michael Jordan are great. Again they're biographies and aren't really focused entirely on a single game or even entirely on the sports they played.
>>
>>82414723
>>82416433
Shit looks exactly like Zac Gorman's art. Do these new artists all copy eachother? Or are they all students of the same sensei?
>>
File: Heart TPB.jpg (77KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
Heart TPB.jpg
77KB, 309x475px
>>82414723
"Heart" written by Blair Butler (yup, the former G4TV host) is probably one of the best sports comics I've read in the past five years or so, and I say that even after taking into consideration the fact that artist Kevin Mellon's is merely "adequate," to be polite about it (I actually wish that Butler would remake the comic, but with a different, much more polished artist).

It's about a young man in a dead-end job who decides to take a chance on his dream and try to make it as a professional MMA fighter. It's very earnest and honest (sometimes brutally so) about how the hurt business actually works at the minor league level. It does a great job of humanizing the no-name fighters you see in the undercard of regional MMA events.

That said, I'm a lifelong combat sports fan so I might be overselling the comic a little. But if you have any sort of interest in boxing, kickboxing, MMA, or any other professional combat sport at all it's a great comic with a surprising amount of personal drama.
>>
>>82416433
>>82414723

Is Fantasy Sports scanned? I got the first volume in my house, that I could do a rush job with if it isn't.
>>
>>82414723
Muuuuaaaah the French.
Michel Vaillant is a famous motorsports comic.
Not comics, but cartoons: some soccer/football cartoons (Foot2Rue, Galactik Football) and also some basketball (Baskup, Kangoo).

>>82415704
>wrestling is not a sport
I like you.

>>82416580
>Michael Jordan comic
HNNNNNNGGGGH, I need to read that. Art looks nice too.
>>
This got way more response than expected

>>82415571
Fantasy sports was the first I've heard of either, but I enjoyed it so I may check out some more stuff

>>82416433

That is a bit disappointing, but as long as the tone stays similar I'm on board

>>82415704
I'll check them out, thanks anon

>>82416950
I'm not super familiar with MMA or any combat sport, but I'll add it to my list to check out

>>82417109
Huh, looking at some pics on google for Michel Vaillant, it actually does look very familiar; I wonder if I've seen it somewhere before and just forgot
>>
>>82418949
>Huh, looking at some pics on google for Michel Vaillant, it actually does look very familiar; I wonder if I've seen it somewhere before and just forgot
It and its spinoffs have been storytimed before.
>>
>>82416580
I really don't like Santiago's art at all.
>>82418949
So FS is worth getting, then?
>>
File: Strange_Sports_Stories_Vol_1_1.jpg (140KB, 685x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Strange_Sports_Stories_Vol_1_1.jpg
140KB, 685x1018px
>>
File: sullivansslugger5292012.jpg (307KB, 550x846px) Image search: [Google]
sullivansslugger5292012.jpg
307KB, 550x846px
>>
>>82417089
Do it!
>>
>>82421914
Didn't the artist get completely ripped off and saw none of the money for this?
>>82419554
I liked it but it all depends on how much you care about $15. It's 56 pages and light on dialogue so it's a pretty quick read
>>
>>82424550
I know there was some shadiness with the kickstarter, wasn't there?
>>
>>82426021
Yeah i think i remember the artist saying not to buy it if you actually wanted to support him?
>>
>>82429105
found it https://orcstain.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/sluggers/
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.