[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SJW Pandering Comics Flopping - Don't Blame SJWs!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 538
Thread images: 62

File: Tumblr Pandering Was A Mistake.png (424KB, 550x750px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr Pandering Was A Mistake.png
424KB, 550x750px
https://archive.is/jgHFE

>Diverse comics aren't selling.
>N-not everyone buys their comics from places you can track like bookstores or Walmart!
>S-some borrow from their friends or read from a library!
>C-comic shops aren't friendly and inviting so we can't buy the comics there!
>C-comics are too expensive to buy!
>C-comics need MORE diversity to make me want to buy them! They're just not diverse enough!
>>
Well they should know it's a niche market. If they want to pander to squirrelkins they need to wonder how many squirrelkins actually buy comics on a regular basis.
>>
>>82209965

3 of those are correct tho.
>>
Why Ms M of all people? She's not a top seller but she's always pretty solid for a newbie.
>>
>>82209965
She even admits that she doesn't buy comics, has no intention of buying comics, that no one else on tumblr buys comics or ever will, and then says that Marvel should keep making comics for people who don't actually buy them.

This is like saying that Marvel/DC should do whatever pirates want. IF YOU DON'T ACTUALLY BUY THE COMICS THEN YOUR OPINION ON THEM DOESN'T MATTER.
>>
File: ca35.jpg (88KB, 460x610px) Image search: [Google]
ca35.jpg
88KB, 460x610px
>>82209965
>SJW Pandering Comics Flopping
Are the Dark Ages coming to an end?
>>
Can we blame the readers for those used cars for sale?
>>
>>82209965
Ms. Marvel isn't SJW pandering though, it just so happens to be the one diamond in the turd pile.
>>
>>82210107
Nope. They're just gonna try harder.
>>
>>82209965
>N-not everyone buys their comics from places you can track like bookstores or Walmart!

This is partly true, though. Ms. Marvel does well on Comixology, IIRC. And Bookscan is good enough for getting a rough estimate of how well TPBs sell at non-comic shops.

That's definitely not gonna help sales enough.

This might be true in some areas. There's a lot of better comic shops now, but some places may still have really bad comic shops that look like the worst of the 90's shops.

This is true, though. But I think that means they can go get the TPBs instead. Problem is, if the monthly doesn't get supported, it's less likely to get collected.
>>
>>82209965
Diversity is good. It can't replace quality writing and content, but anyone that actually gets upset over it just nauseates me.
>>
>>82210090
She's always at a safe 30-35k.
>>
This is amazing, Secret Wars and Convergence are the gifts that keep on giving.
>>
>>82209965
>Latonya
It is amazing she is not unemployed with that name, what the fuck is wrong with black people?
>>
>>82209965
>>Diverse comics aren't selling.
True
>>N-not everyone buys their comics from places you can track like bookstores or Walmart!
True. I've never even seen a paperback at a Wal-mart. Maybe a trade or two.
>>S-some borrow from their friends or read from a library!
This is a poor excuse. If you like comics, you buy them.
>>C-comic shops aren't friendly and inviting so we can't buy the comics there!
This is without a doubt true. There needs to be a normie ambassador program or something set up in most of these nerdhavens. Comics are going the way of the movie. We need normies to increase the margins.
>>C-comics are too expensive to buy!
You KNOW this is true. Comics should be 2.50 tops.
>>C-comics need MORE diversity to make me want to buy them! They're just not diverse enough!
This is retarded. This is only ever said by strawmen. No actual "progressive" says this because they know the rebuttal.
>>
>>82209965
Nevermind that shit, there's used cars for sale.
>>
>>82209965
>it's another "let's bitch about SJWs ruining comics" thread made and perpetuated by people that likely don't read comics either
Oh joy.
>>
>>82210090
The article's from the Mary Sue, so their image is to show a title with diversity that's actually consistently successful.
>>
>>82210090
Because she's the flagship "DIVERSITY" character.
>>
>>82210112
>Ms. Marvel isn't SJW pandering
>>
>>82209965
>MUH DIVERSITY
No. Fuck you. I like Kamala because she's a good character and her stories and supporting cast are great as well.

Saying that one should like a fictional character only because of their skin color is racist.
>>
>>82210226
y-you too?
>>
>>82210183
>Diversity is good.
Diversity is a marketing buzzword.
>>
>>82210112
lol, it's not popular in the slightest, people just want lewds and 34 of Khan.
>>
Here's the article the article linked in OP is responding to.

https://archive.is/cQukL
>>
>>82210107
It is simply The End Anon.
Soon the industry will crash, and in its ruins, it will be reborn or wither away.
>>
>>82210224
Here is a reply for your mediocre effort at flamebait. You can now feel you had social interaction for the day.
>>
>>82210107
No. They haven't tried putting more diversity into their diversity yet.
>>
>>82209965
Is this Mary Marvel's niece or some shit?
>>
I still question if this implied someone at Marvel had a bit more self-awareness than most of them.
>>
I felt betrayed by Ms. Marvel as a fan of Alphona.
>>
>>82210101
>The way I buy comics now is somewhat influenced by how I purchased comics growing up. Every birthday or Christmas, my mom would take me to buy manga from Barnes and Nobles. Occasionally, she’d buy me a cheap Archie Digest comics from the grocery store counter. While I don’t buy these kinds of comics anymore, I still remain frugal when I buy digital comics from Comixology.

stop fucking lying fag. You don't need to lie to win a argument you stupid fucking loser.
>>
>>82210240
Subjective opinion. I think media and creations that anti-SJW cattle approve of are boring, samey and depressing overall, while stuff they hate is often fun or at least harmless. Plus, anti-SJW attitudes just ruin societies as far as I can see.

I just see anti-SJWs unpleasant to listen to or be exposed
>>
>"Sometimes, accessibility is also tied into whether or not people can afford to buy comics. As a comic fan on a budget, I rarely buy comics more than a few times a year (birthdays, a couple personal treats, and Christmas). All the extra money I have is on my Amazon gift card, and I even have to budget that in case I need to buy something more important. As a result, the best way for me to read comics is to either buy them digitally or borrow them from the library"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>82210310
That's just someone trying to tackle an issue he doesn't understand
>>
>>82210310
Why is Gante fatter?
>>
>>82209965
Who the fuck should they blame BUT the readers for low sales?

COMIXOLOGY
This is true.
>>
>>82210341
Cry some more.
>>
>>82210310
That's just Bendis playing both sides for kicks and giggles.
>>
>>82210160
Those who work to hasten the end may wind up delaying it, just as those who work to delay it, may bring it sooner just as well.
They'll flounder about and whine but eventually they'll move on when not enough people pay attention. That's not exclusive to this situation either.
Patience.
>>
>>82210305
She's a fangirl of Carol Danvers who got Superpowers and noticed that nobody's using the name Ms. Marvel anymore.
>>
File: 1459431829053.png (271KB, 519x319px) Image search: [Google]
1459431829053.png
271KB, 519x319px
Wow, for a second there I thought that Ms Marvel wasn't selling well. I don't care if she's the "SJW flagship" hero, don't bunch her in with the failures.
>>
>>82210378
Bendis uses the same magic as Stan Lee, but instead of leaching the life of celebrities, he feeds off of nerd rage
>>
>>82210310

Self awareness isn't really always a good thing.
Him pointing out that he doesn't see himself as THE BLACK SPIDERMAN doesn't suddenly not make him THE BLACK SPIDERMAN if his personality doesn't have the extra layers it needs

They're basically just point at a criticism but not actually working on it
>>
>>82210344
Christ, I have problem of being not American when it comes to buying comics, but even I buy more often than her.

>comic fan on a budget
Yeah, to save up those tickets to next Disney movie or pay for Netflix subscription.
>>
We should always cancel books like Omega Men because they don't sell well in stores but sell well online.

Fucking retarded logic. I think more than the diversity thing, this article shines more light on the insanely antiquated method of keeping track of comic sales.
>>
>>82210344
What's so funny?
>>
I thought the only reason people were excited for "diverse comics" was that they could get the subsequent "diverse branded merchandise". Are the merch sales high? Maybe if they're selling more of the merch than they are the comics, then the companies could cater to those fans by putting the comics in the merch. Y'know, sort of like those trading cards they used to pack in with toys. That seems about their speed.
>>
I've always wondered about this, how did the woman Thor sell?
>>
>pander to full time opinion mongers who don't actually buy comic books
>why aren't they buying the comics??????

The people who demand diversity in comic books don't read comic books because their only hobby is finding things to complain about, and they'll complain about it no matter what.
>>
>>82210361
>BLAME THE READERS!!

ayyy, when I order a big juicy steak for dinner and the waiter brings out the house salad imma be pretty fucking upset.
>>
What are the diversity titles anyhow?
I don't count Ms.Marvel because it is actually good, not great, but it is one of the 3 marvel titles that have not caused me cancer.

I stopped reading muhvel after Superior Spider-man. I knew for a fact SW and Hickman run would not pay off, but the parody was worth all of it.
>>
>>82210206
>Latonya
That's actually not a bad name. A lot of those names sound mythical and cool, it's just the stereotype around the name that's bad.
>>
>>82210239
If I were diverse I would find things like even having a flagship diversity character to be insulting. Diversity pandering itself should by logic be offensive to the people it's aimed at. Because how is being put in a box for racial marketing purposes not offensive?
>>
>>82210431
If that's true, then Bendis truly is immortal.
>>
>>82209965
>Comic shops aren't inviting

Literally what?

You go in. You buy comic. You go out.

Why does that need to be inviting?
>>
>>82210431
Isn't that Dan Slott?

>>82210441
She basically says that Marvel should make sure that it'd be convenient for her to buy comics at all times when she buys them once or twice in a year.
>>
>>82209965
I could agree with not tracking all possible sales but then you fail when you turn around and explain the reasons why it's not selling, choose a side.
This legit pisses me off because I don't often follow comics as strong as my other hobbies but never once did I ever feel out of place or unwelcome in any comic shop at any age.
>>
I don't get people whining about comic being too expensive.

Unless you buy a massive amount of comics every month, it's a super cheap hobby. You don't need to buy any special equipment or resources, you don't need to pay membership fees, nothing. Just a few bucks per book. The vast majority of hobbies is far more expensive than reading comics.
>>
>>82210488
>food analogy
Kill yourself.
>>
>>82209965
I have never once from the '80s till now had someone loan me a comic or see a library that carries them to check out
>>
>>82210488
>Food analogies
If you knew that Bendis was cooking that steak, would you still order it?
>>
>>82210488

That analogy doesn't really apply here.

It's more like them taking an item off the menu that no one even you never ordered but then you saw it was gone and decided you want it
>>
>>82210440
>refuse to correctly measure how comics sell
>TV still uses outdated ratings systems
>Movies cautiously start keeping track of digital sales, but even then they can claim making millions isn't enough to justify more or things like it
What is it with media and always being streets behind?
>>
>>82209965
>>C-comics need MORE diversity to make me want to buy them! They're just not diverse enough!

I can't take this as a serious argument when you are lying

>Of course, you can’t buy or read any comics if you don’t even know about them. This particularly applies to new comic book fans and fans who get interested in comics through their films or shows. Both the Marvel and DC films aren’t as diverse as their comics. Even television shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Jessica Jones aren’t as diverse as they could be, with characters of color either relegated to the background or killed off. Animated series aren’t doing too much better, especially with some superhero cartoon executives not wanting a large female audience.

she says. The comic books main source of advertisement don't advertise the comics with advertisement in question.
the comics with low sales probably also have little to none advertisement to the actual comic.
>>
>>82209965
That stuttering meme is fucking stupid. At least randomly do more than just stutter the first word.
>>
>>82210498
There are good and bad comic shops. Writing them all off as uninviting is as dumb as saying " the one I go to is fine so all of them must be"
>>
>>82210339
>Every birthday or Christmas, my mom would take me to buy manga from Barnes and Nobles. Occasionally, she’d buy me a cheap Archie Digest comics from the grocery store counter.
late '90s/'00s child. How disgusting
>>
File: Greatest Detective.png (230KB, 334x381px) Image search: [Google]
Greatest Detective.png
230KB, 334x381px
>"Sometimes, accessibility is also tied into whether or not people can afford to buy comics. As a comic fan on a budget, I rarely buy comics more than a few times a year (birthdays, a couple personal treats, and Christmas). All the extra money I have is on my Amazon gift card, and I even have to budget that in case I need to buy something more important. As a result, the best way for me to read comics is to either buy them digitally or borrow them from the library"

Batman here figured out that hobbies cost money.
>>
>>82210443
>I thought the only reason people were excited for "diverse comics" was that they could get the subsequent "diverse branded merchandise".
No. Comics aren't selling because, like most print media, it's an outdated entertainment source. Young kids aren't buying them like they were in the past. The average comic reader is in his mid 30s.

Comics need to expand their audience in order to survive. So they're trying to put out more diverse and female-led comics to appeal to more people and because SJWs are a thing right now. Unfortunately, as the article illustrates, those people don't actually buy comics in the first place. So the effort on them is largely wasted.
>>
>>82210537
I can kind of understand the TV and movies thing because there aren't a lot of good online TV streams and movies don't release the same day online as they do in theaters.

Comics however are released everywhere simultaneously
>>
File: 58.png (250KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
58.png
250KB, 480x368px
>>82210498
>Comics...merch...atmosphere...
>>
>>82210506

see that only works until they eventually do their mega summer crossover event of the year. Then you're stuck getting only a partial story for 3 to 4 months and if the event has a major impact on the shit you do follow you're in trouble down the line when the new status quo is relying on stuff that happened in a book you didn't read
>>
>>82210310
Its Bendis saying he wants Miles to replace Peter.
>>
>>82210488
BULLSHIT
Demon Knight wa a fucking good capecomic that was in my opinion the most SJW ever and no one bought it. Amethyst was also a god comic with a female lead and no one bought it bearly lasted 6 issues. Batwoman well before the writers change was a fucking good comic and no one bought it.
>>
>>82210492
Those names are a red flag to employers. It is proven that vanilla names like Kate, Karen, and Joscelin are more likely to get hired. Unless her parents are loaded, which could be the case, naming a kid with anything that sounds weird can damage future opportunities. I remember watching a video about these women who submitted the same curriculum under two names, their real one and a vanilla one, and the vanilla one was picked up without a fail.

Then again this was a long time ago, I don't know if that can lead to a lawsuit nowadays, and the field has been balanced since.
>>
>>82210479
>09/14 Thor v5 #25 – 53,047 ( 38.4%)
>10/14 Thor v6 #1 – 150,862 ( 184.4%)
>11/14 Thor v6 #2 – 89,131 ( -40.9%)
>12/14 Thor v6 #3 – 72,563 ( -18.6%)
>01/15 Thor v6 #4 - 69,497 ( -4.2%)
>02/15 Thor v6 #5 - 69,513 ( +0.0%)
>03/15 Thor v6 #6 - 70,569 ( +1.5%)
>04/15 Thor v6 #7 - 71,372 ( +1.1%)
>05/15 Thor v6 #8 - 86,222 (+20.1%)
>11/15 Mighty Thor #1 - 112,053
>12/15 Mighty Thor #2 - 70,331
>1/8 Mighty Thor #3 - 60,345
>Mighty Thor #4 - 56,568
>Mighty Thor #5 54,568

tl;dr Better than normal Thor until they relaunched it. Relaunched Jane Thor sells about the same as normal Thor did.
>>
>>82210506
>4 bucks for a 10 minute book
>$10-15 for a trade worth an hour or two
>$10 a month for netflix
Comics are one of the less cheap options as far as "nerd" entertainment goes. Games cost more at the start, but have way more longevity
>>
>>82210625
Sadly, there is this anti-DC bias.
>>
>>82210488
That's not the right analogy, you dipshit. A better one would be having a restaurant that has a declining business, so they decided to revamp their menu to have more gluten-free options because that's a big thing right now. They eventually make half their menu gluten-free and people in Yelp and other websites talk about how they have so much gluten-free stuff and how they're so awesome. But in the actual restaurant, nobody's buying any gluten-free food because they just like to talk about it more than actually buying and eating it.
>>
>>82210441

She's saying that a for-profit business should keep making a product for people who don't buy it in the first place.
>>
>>82210582
A lot of people have digital cable and boxes that could send that data, but hard, concrete evidence can't be twisted to support a producer's own ideas
>>
>>82210631
Try getting into Warhammer or something, then come cry to me about paying $4.

Besides, I'm not just talking about "nerd" hobbies.
>>
File: 1361080987959.jpg (404KB, 700x643px) Image search: [Google]
1361080987959.jpg
404KB, 700x643px
>>82210573
>Comics need to expand their audience in order to survive.

The problem their isn't "diversity" though so much as it's those 30 something fans and writers refusing to let the new fans have their own stories and characters

To bad young readers, the writer doesn't want to let Kitty Pryde go so any character you might latch onto is either gonna be wallpaper of event fodder so the writer can jack off his 30 year old stiffy
>>
>>82210616
Trying too hard
>>
>>82209965
> comics are too expensive to buy!

Yeah it's real inconvenient that the people making them want to pay the bills and not starve
>>
Problem is Comic Fans hate change even when its good.
>>
Half of /co/ seems to take it on faith that the comics industry is 'dying' (whatever the fuck that means) but is that actually the case?

>>82210378

Fucking Bendis. "Skin colour isn't important" says young black man (says middle-aged white man).
>>
>>82210650
How much is Gotham Academy selling?
>>
>>82210684

Floppies are what drive a series though. They're not gonna suddenly do trade only releases. If the floppies bomb then even if they make trades the series will still get cancelled much sooner rather than later

Look at the Runaways. That series is constantly selling big in trade but because the floppies do meh the series gets tanked and shelved
>>
>>82210112

Yes it's good but it's following the same route of "take a white character and replace them with a person of color because that character wouldn't be successful on their own."
>>
>>82210698
If you want money you shouldn't work in comics.
This has being the actual deal since the days Siegel and Shuster were screw over and the reason Watterson cried like a bitch.
>>
Maybe people don't want to read these books
>>
>>82210717
About 14-17k in floppies, but the first trade sold 7k in 2015.
>>
>>82210381
No one claimed this when people shilled Waid's middling DD run for being fun.
>>
>>82210675
The very picture you posted proves you wrong, since it nicely shows that new fans do have their own stories and characters.

God forbid a story or character arc getting its natural conclusion and ending, instead of being milked for years...

You complain about writers still using Kitty Pryde while complaining they are not using anymore those other now old and used characters.
>>
>>82210763
>Most people don't want to read comics
ftfy
>>
File: 1311701663385.jpg (231KB, 878x679px) Image search: [Google]
1311701663385.jpg
231KB, 878x679px
>>82210669
But comics aren't a hobby, they're just entertainment. I mean, I guess you can consider them a hobby if you go deep, but to most people they have more in common with lower priced movies and TV than they do with /tg/ stuff
And table top games, have multiple aspects to them as well that can justify their high price tag.
And don't talk to me about warhammer sempai, I know how it feels to buy dozens of plastic men for their weight in gold
>>
>>82210631
>Games cost more at the start
Bullshit Steam offers good games starting at the same price, $60 USD buys you a full year worth of free videogames on PSN. I got Demon's Souls, and LBP2 from the service and those were 100 hours each.

Comics cost more and have gotten worse. Anyone who paid for any book written by Bendis is upside down retarded.

>>82210669
>I am gonna name one of the most expensive games you can get into, that will show him
wew lad, it is a shame you did not use a food analogy too, you were down on retard alley already
TCG and such are only expensive if you do plan to go competitive and yet there are people who can tell you how to get a competitive build under $60 USD
>>
>>82210506
>$4 for 5-10 minutes of reading
>multiply that by 10

Shit gets expensive. It's like buying a new video game every week. Some people can afford it but most can't.

Digital comics need to be universally cheaper.
>>
>>82210705
It's hard to see if the floppy part is dying since variants and #1s have been happening so much lately. But floppy sales ARE up from what they were years ago, like before New 52 and Marvel Now.

Trade sales on the other hand have skyrocketed, no doubt about it.

And digital had tons of growth over the past few years, but the growth is starting to stagnate.
>>
File: alpha-cover-3_4.jpg (72KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
alpha-cover-3_4.jpg
72KB, 534x712px
>>82210727
>Yes it's good but it's following the same route of "take a white character and replace them with a person of color because that character wouldn't be successful on their own."

alpha is a direct opposite with that

create a new white character that mentorship of a legacy character. and not direct name that can connection with his mentor

AND HE FAILED SO HARD.
>>
>>82210495
Racial profiling is apparently isn't racist so long as it's done by people trying to sell you something.
>>
>>82210840
Good thing DC is lowering their prices
>>
Things should only pander to me.
>>
>>82210882
Should every christian character talk about the Inquisition?
>>
>>82210675
This. We need new content by contemporary artists.

Let all the old super heros, and their concepts, just die already. What is even the point when they go on forever? Aside from money.
>>
>>82210840
Diamond has a stranglehold on the big 2 and by proxy everyone, they force the price parity with digital.
>The US government ruled that diamond did not have a monopoly because they do not distribute regular books, just comics
>literally the only time in the history of the united states that comics have been considered to be on the same level of the prose novel
>>
>>82210886
They should pander to the reader rather than an audience that doesn't care.
>>
>SJW jani damage control in this thread
>>
>>82210830
you still have to buy the systems, (assuming current gen stuff) can cost you a year worth of comics
But with everyone having a phone or ipad/laptop its way more accessible now
>>
>>82210846

But Alpha was shit and used as a gimmick to generate sales by fooling people into thinking the status quo was changing.

Not only that but it actually worked at first.

Imagine if Slott actually wrote a good story and gave Peter a sidekick?
>>
>>82210112
>I like her so it's not SJW pandering!

Face it, she started Marvel's new trend of legacy heroes who aren't white. Sam Nova didn't even get this.

They didn't expect her to be such a success, but after people threw fits over her existing, more people came to know about her, and marvel started pushing her hard, her sales in general got fantastic for a new character, legacy or not.
They repeated with it Thor by announcing it on the View and got some success there too, but every attempt afterwards has been middling.
>>
>>82210919
If the Inquisition was contemporary...
>>
>>82210882
are you the same anon that would be mad when a black character brings up racism in america?
>>
>>82210413
They put her in the mix because she doing well so it them trying to make a point but it falls flat if you look at the numbers.
>>
>>82210101
>IF YOU DON'T ACTUALLY BUY THE COMICS THEN YOUR OPINION ON THEM DOESN'T MATTER.
Nah. If you've read them your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's. But your opinion on the kind of comics that should be produced definitely don't matter
>>
>>82210630
No, Jane sells on issue 5 as well as normal thor did on 25
>>
>>82210935
...then /co/ is out of the picture since most of /co/ don't buy comic books.
>>
>>82210675
>>82210920
>writers want to make their own characters
>publishers want the best sales so they push the most popular, older characters
>readers only buy popular, older characters because of the name on the cover

The whole industry fights against the concept of new. Status quo is god.
>>
>>82210777
Man that blow don't Trades usually have more ales than floppies?
>>
>>82210989
"Anything I don't agree with", usually.
>>
Well yeah, that's the whole SJW M.O.

They care more about the message than the practice. As long as you've *got* diversity, who gives a shit if it's good or successful or makes sense.

And it's not that diversity in of itself is bad, it's that the people demanding it are often selfish and short sighted. Like this person, who flat out admits that she isn't the target, but still wants to be in the sights.
>>
>>82210628
>It is proven that vanilla names like Kate, Karen, and Joscelin are more likely to get hired.

Guarantee you the parents didn't think their daughters name would be a reason she'd be unemployed. When picking baby names you usually go with the one that means a lot to you or holds the most weight in you community. The parents didn't think the name would be a burden on their child's life and judging by the matter at hand, it doesn't look like Latonya had any trouble being hired.
>>
>>82210174
The thing is those facts apply to all comics, so it doesn't explain why the comics with diversity are selling worse than others
>>
>>82210788

way to miss the entire point of the comic. All those new characters get benched as soon as someone feels nostalgic for the 70s or 80s.

Cyclops, Wolverine need to actually retire for the new generation to take over, grow up, pass the tourch to their own successor.

That comic shows 4 NEXT GENERATIONS and THREE of them are still treated as students. The first one is lucky to be viewed as STUDENT TEACHERS.

Cyclops Storm and Wovlerine are still the main X-men and now we have the time displaced Original X-men running around too

>God forbid a story or character arc getting its natural conclusion and ending, instead of being milked for years...

Indeed.
>>
>>82210160
Then they're gonna fail harder.
>>
>>82210979
Marvel and DC are not in the business of making "opinions". If you don't buy their product then you are irrelevant to them.
>>
>>82209965
ok I regret even giving this article a click. Does this idiot even know how supply and demand even works
>>
>>82210698
There are two issues here:
First off pulp and comics used to be cheaper, and the quality used to be better, even nu52 started at $2,99.

Then Marvel shit on everything with $4,99 titles, especially since some real idiots would read Bendis X-men or Slott Spider-man. Now the standard is $3,99 to $4,99. When Dc had "draw the line: they explained they did not want to offer a line that might as well become a line of Graphic Novels for $19,99 if anything Based DiDio prevented DC titles from getting too expensive, for all that served when media shat on DC and put Marvel bullshit on a pedestal. Indie titles also helped to increase the price with their bullshit, and then we got Image.

Today, You need to get four $3,99 comics to form an arc that any writer a decade and some could had done in two issues including a nice wrap up. Bendis titles are down right a scam.

Second, at THAT price, you can pay for literally better forms of entertainment. Either older, collection comics, or any other hobby.

Marvel has become such a fucking cancer it is ridiculous that people fall for it.
>>
Problem is anytime there i a new "sjw" comic mainly from marvel people will initially buy it because of curiosity and not being seen as racist but then they realize the comic is crap and not buy it anymore. with two exceptions
Harley Quinn
Spider-gwen
I have no problem with a new Sjw character if the comic was good and the go to ethnic was something than than black
>>
>>82210216
totally agree with you m8. Especially about the 2.50 dollar tag. I actually do buy comics from a comic book store and I can't believe how quickly a few comics add up. Also they never seem to go down in price no matter what. At my local comic book store they still charge the full price for comics they literally can not move.
>>
>>82210216
$2.99 is the most I'm willing to pay for a comic.
>>
>my comments were deleted
What's the fucking point then of keeping this thread up if we can't even discuss the subject matter with opposing views? Are we all just meant to agree with one another? Close the fucking thread then in that case.
>>
>>82210783
Waid's DD was half decent at first. After the Ikari arc it just got straight up boring.
>>
>>82211149
$2.99 is the basic cost for most DC comic issues, DCs bigger titles and Marvels titles go for $3.99
>>
>>82210965
Do you really think Marvel would ever open that can of worms in their comics? Whens the last time Marvel or DC tackled issues like that? those 9/11 comics? they were crap, patronizing, and offensive.
>>
File: DCUDrawingLine[1].jpg (348KB, 1024x799px) Image search: [Google]
DCUDrawingLine[1].jpg
348KB, 1024x799px
Friendly reminder that DC has your back.
>>
>>82211162
"RON PAUL can still win RON PAUL"
>>
>>82211122
>media shat on DC and put Marvel bullshit on a pedestal
See? There is an anti-DC bias, I told you.
>>
>>82210955
You can use whatever you use to shit post on /co/ to play binding of isaac or spelunky, any laptop these days can run Diablo 3.

Comics aren't worth it because the quality dropped hard (Compare George Perez art to the awful bullshit on Marvel titles, and no, Alex Ross Covers do not count as the quality of the comic inside is severely lacking both from the narrative pov to the drawing pov, comics have never been this bad and neutered since the days the CA ran rampant)
>>
>>82211045
They don't care about buying the products. They care about making others buy the products they approve of.
>>
>>82210919
The Spanish Inquisition was a relatively limited persecution of Protestants by the spanish government between the 1400s and 1800s. It killed around 1000 people, or less than 3 per year.

The version of it that you're used to seeing in movies is literally 100% fiction.
>>
>>82211189
Yep, with Rebirth DC is acknowledging that the bulk of their audience is white men and most of their comics should be geared to them. I imagine the next Marvel relaunch will follow suit given how ANAD is a DCYou-esque disaster.
>>
>>82210216
>>>C-comic shops aren't friendly and inviting so we can't buy the comics there!
>This is without a doubt true. There needs to be a normie ambassador program or something set up in most of these nerdhavens. Comics are going the way of the movie. We need normies to increase the margins.
I will agree with this, but I don't think it is gender based in the least, like the article is portraying. I personally think it just isn't inviting to the newbie in general and that hurts the demographic

Outside of that I agree completely with all your points and I think comics have been more than doing their part to try and pander to their market, and at this point it is in part their fault for not being regular buyers
>>
>>82211185
So they'll let Waid do an absolutely terrible Trayvon Martin inspired arc, but they won't dare touch on muslim terrorism?
>>
>>82211054
>look like Latonya had any trouble being hired.
>"I am a blogger at the Mary Sue"
No further comments.
>>
Comics sell low regardless. They're incredibly niche. Have been for decades. It's not a new phenomenon - SJW pandering or not.
>>
File: sinestro-face-when-2.jpg (47KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
sinestro-face-when-2.jpg
47KB, 450x450px
>>82211205
>Marvel movies are great, so their comics must be great, too!

People actually believe this.
>>
Just as many white male books are flopping

Articles like this are retarded
>>
So how do you make comics cheaper?
Hard mode: No comparisons to manga production
>>
>>82210524
I do both of those things all the time. It really doesn't sound good in this context, though.

>comic journos write over 5 years worth of "if you pander, they will come"
>a couple of people come

>one person (rightly) points out that it would help if people bought the books they said they wanted to see, in the metrics that they measure
>another person use observable behavior as excuses for the void where big sales were supposed to be

No matter how you spin it, the results don't match the hype. The hard sell wasn't "if you publish digital sales, make comics easier to buy and tweak the prices, then you'll breath new life into the industry" - it was "your business is dying because you can't tear yourself away from filthy neckbeards, and if you want to survive, you need a more diverse lineup for a more diverse clientele." The cultural critics botched the call, plain and simple; the things that comic publishers need to do to pull them in were the things they've always needed to to, and the mythical hordes of savvy, woke readers they wanted to court was never a factor in that.
>>
>>82211117

That couldn't be more wrong. If you don't buy their product then they will scramble to try and get you to buy their product. They are a business and most as big as marvel/dc want to grow and expand their audiences while maintaining their numbers.
>>
>>82211236
Funny you say that, I'm not even white and I am more than happy with the Rebirth changes coming. I think DC is just smartening up and realizing what fans really want
>>
>>82211243
pretty much yeah
>>
>>82210934
Actually they ruled that it wasn't a monopoly because the industry was so small that it simply was literally IMPOSSIBLE for more than one distributor to profit and Diamond just lucked out.
>>
>>82211278

Digital only. Injustice sells very well and they are only 99 cents an issue.
>>
>>82211189
It also was the best time for DC.
Cereal Lord GL was brilliant from beginning to end.
>>
>>82211054
>Guarantee you the parents didn't think their daughters name would be a reason she'd be unemployed.
Maybe they should've.
>>
>>82211273
Talking about that, what exactly ISN'T flopping right now?
>>
>>82211265
>Marvel movies are great,
People actually believe this.
>>
>>82210524
Do torrents count?
>>
>>82211017
That's because most of /co/ is here for cartoons.
>>
>>82211317
>right before the reboot was best time for DC
Nigga you don't remember grounded do you?
>>
>>82211278
give good writers/artist a chance. A real chance
focus on advertisement.

how did american alien do?
>>
>>82211022
Trades sell FAR less than floppies.
>>
>>82211342
Oh shut up.

>>82211375
Or JMS WW. Or Eric Wallace's Titans.
>>
The just should remake the Inhumans movie int Ms. Marvel focused.
>>
>>82210524
My hometown library has an expansive collection of older comics, including all of Hellblazer through Carey's run. It's pretty awesome
>>
>>82211367
That's doesn't stop them from shitposting,,,
>>
>>82211273
This is undoubtedly true, however they see the world with their skewed idea that everything is racist, misogynistic and there is no way to escape it

>>82211326
Big name books aren't flopping, pretty much any big Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. The regular titles that are just a must among general audiences and big time comic fans. Mind you even their sales dip and rise at times, but it's usually guaranteed enough to keep going
>>
>>82211432

Supes Bats and Spidey are such pop culture Icons theres there's 4 people to buy it for every three who drop
>>
File: giant size x-men cover.jpg (400KB, 925x1300px) Image search: [Google]
giant size x-men cover.jpg
400KB, 925x1300px
If marvel didnt hate the x-men they would push diversity inside the x-men, I have read stories of how gay people in the 90s/20s loved the x-men stories because it tackled issues they were dealing as teenagers.

X-men also deal with race issues and I am sure in 2016 America that will attract a lot of SJW into buying comics.
>>
>>82211401
Where is that?
I live in Canada and I can confirm here that trades sell much better than floppies, though we don't have a good gauge on digital sales to make a comparison
>>
>>82211353
>Cape movies are great.
>>
>>82211257 has a point, that's kind of a low point.

I don't think it matters much. Everyone's coming up with tryhard spellings of their names to try and set their kids apart from the crowd nowadays, just like in ancient times. Between the phonetic names and the stupidly-spelled names, everyone will have a dumb name in the future - and once everyone's name is dumb, no one's name will be.
The Flips were ahead of the curve when they started mashing their first names together for their kids as a general rule.
>>
>>82211375
does anyone? I do remember NU Krypton arc which was going places before DC had the entire run, changes, and characters be placed under order 66.
>>
>>82210573
>No. Comics aren't selling because, like most print media, it's an outdated entertainment source
>2016/04/11- 17, 455,713 Shingeki no Kyojin
sure outdated
>>
>>82211481
See all of Claremont's storytelling was hamfisted so when he hamfisted social shit it didn't seem out of place.
>>
>>82211405
Oh yeah because Titans got good right after that...
Dc had good and bad titles on almost the same measure back and now.

Not gonna say Geoff JL isn't great or Injustice ain't fun, but I feel nostalgia over DC era 2008 - 2010.

why does it feel like LESS has happened in comics compared to the previous decade?
>>
>>82211532
Ok, weeb shit still sells. Good taste is dead.
>>
>>82209965
They can buy this shit online too if LCS is full of scary people for them.
>>
File: 6bhm0.jpg (7KB, 222x225px) Image search: [Google]
6bhm0.jpg
7KB, 222x225px
>>82211481
>I have read stories of how gay people in the 90s/20s loved the x-men stories because it tackled issues they were dealing as teenagers.

And Marvel had them all GASSED.
And in favor of the inhumans no less, you cannot make this shit up.
>>
>Omega Men not talked about
Kyle is latino you fucks
>>
>>82211466
exactly they are guaranteed and always will be because of their worldwide statuses.
However other characters need the marketing to float, and even then that only gets you so far before your book flops. There needs to be something that keeps these heroes in peoples eyes if they even expect to sell. Hell floppies are probably not even the best option, but they need to make sure that the general audience is at least aware of the product in some way if they want it to sell or even do well
>>
>>82211635
Latino is too close to white so they barely get any minoripoints.
>>
File: 1455885281545.png (1MB, 513x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1455885281545.png
1MB, 513x1117px
>>82211575
>Good taste is dead.
>Big two cape comics
>Good taste
>literally the same idea repeated over and over that is predictable as fuck
>Good tastes
>>
>>82211523
This is indeed a problem and true. There are books that overly place their political agendas into their stories and forget to write, well stories.
Then there's the artists who want to do their tumblr art. I mean shit I like differing art styles, but there's a difference between "I tried" to "can it go on the fridge mommy?"
>>
>>82211635
Kyle is one of those Latinos that passes for white so it doesn't count.

Like Diaz who goes around telling everyone he's Hispanic when he's a ginger cracker.
>>
>>82211739
>I will never understand
Well, that part was true, anyway.
>>
>>82210573
But why just add dark skinned people in Superhero costumes and minorities, is that REALLY expanding and updating the medium? It just sounds like it's tacking racial diversity into an already niche box.

When Superheros start to fade and western comics become more than just capeshit, we can say they've expanded. Make them diverse in topic and genre, not in who you code your characters as.
>>
I'm not white, but I'm not gay or Latino either, and I still enjoyed Giffen's Blue Beetle and Orlando's Midnighter. On the other hand, I can't read half the diversity stuff Marvel puts out without feeling like everyone involved should be dragged out back and shot.
>>
>>82211572
You don't know shit about the relaunch if you think that Injustice is even related to the new 52
On relaunch there were a lot of good titles that either didn't exist or were shit before the reboot Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein, Demon Knights, WW, Action Comics. The only book that was really killed by the reboot was Morrison's Batman, which finished, albeit a little incongruously and Secret Six.
>>
>>82211756
>political agendas into their stories
the only comic i can think of is Thor and it tanked what comic else did this

not saying you are wrong but I actually want to see it myself instead of believing the same repeated argument.
>>
>>82211643
Probably less important heroes having frequent team ups with Bats, Supes, and Spidey. Cartoons too
>>
File: 668982img000024.png (31KB, 293x244px) Image search: [Google]
668982img000024.png
31KB, 293x244px
>>82211575
>Cape shit
>Ever being good taste
>>
>>82211541
Compared to modern soapboxing, Claremont's screeds are drops in the bucket. The navelgazing of modern creative teams is protracted, smug, presumptuous and overhyped by a brown-nosing clique of journalists. But that's how most social commentary is nowadays, and that's been flopping pretty hard lately too, so I guess the works reflect the times pretty well.
>>
>>82211762
His name is Diaz though.
>>
>>82211611
>They can buy this shit online too if LCS is full of scary people for them.
If you read the comments, they complain about the inconvenience of digital comics because Comixology requires you to use your credit card.
>>
>>82211792
>When Superheros start to fade and western comics become more than just capeshit, we can say they've expanded. Make them diverse in topic and genre, not in who you code your characters as.
There are a large number of webcomics that aren't about superheroes.
>>
>>82211850
Are they all crims or illegal immigrants? How the fuck are they paying for the internet?
>>
File: 3ad021aa2c3b225c3582c17b55db2c4e.jpg (317KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3ad021aa2c3b225c3582c17b55db2c4e.jpg
317KB, 1920x1200px
>>82211848
So is hers. But she's not actually who they have in mind when they say there should be more Hispanics in Hollywood?
>>
>>82211848
Could easily be a Spaniard. A lot of people forget that Spanish comes from Spain.
>>
>>82211850
Amazon
>>
>>82211823
Angela Queen of Hel and bombshell from DC, funny enought the same writers is doing those.
>>
>>82211880
They're bloggers, baristas and college students. Money isn't exactly flowing

>>82211902
He's Cuban
>>
>>82211817
I said here and now, I collected Dial H, you don't need to tell me you overeating autist.

>Animal Man
Those were some great 6 issues, weren't they?
>>
>>82211792
they do though. every year more non cape comics comes out but the problem is that people don't even know about it. There are people in this thread that don't know about it and this is a freaking comics board

when was the last time we talked about nailbiters or birthright. Fuck even Preacher
>>
>>82210727
She didn't replace Carol. Carol's still doing her thing.
>>
>>82211850
>SJWs are useless fucks nobody would hire
>this also means they don't meet the requirements to possess a credit card

P.S. You can use a debit card like Visa Electron for the same shit so these people are just retards.
>>
>>82211892
Stage names are really common, I have no idea if she's actually hispanic. Aaron Diaz, while being a general shitter and a deluded hypocrite wouldn't lie about that shit because he would get buried if it were ever found out.
>>
>>82211918
With the way he looks he's probably 90%+ Spanish conquistador though.
>>
>>82210700
Brown hero's don't sell , their books always end early or get shit canned
Vibe and Blue Beetle.
The new Wally and Power girl are mostly hated.
>>
>>82211823
Thor wasn't the only one, take a look at Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and more do exist.
>>
>>82211918
So what, they still have an ATM card, if they can spend money on comics at all the electronic payment v cash is kinda irrelevant.
>>
This worked out so well for indie games.
>>
>>82211880
Starbucks has free WiFi.
>>
>>82211803
>At this point diversity means black or muslim.
>muslim
not really. only blacks to be honest. we got alot more asian characters including silk and the new superman. black people is probably the famous choice well after white people
>>
>>82211926
You only liked the first arc? How? It was good until at least rotworld
>>
>>82211941
According to wikipedia, Cameron's family is Cuban and they originally came from Spain. Aaron probably has a similar history.
>>
>>82211974
But you cant tell how much indie games sell, also indie game are now published in steam, where everyone around the globe can buy it, comics, modern comics can only be bought in american, north americans, comics stores.
>>
>>82211949
>Brown hero's don't sell , their books always end early or get shit canned
This is true for the most part,
>Vibe and Blue Beetle.
Man I miss Vibe, he was awesome
>The new Wally and Power girl are mostly hated.
With good reason, these characters felt forced and were just pushed in for diversity and it's painfully obvious
Hell even original Powergirl is around on Earth 2 and she was bastardized as well, but Earth 2 is just a mess anyway
>>
>>82211620
Oh god. Your image is /pol/ as fuck, but I imagine an inhuman terrigan mist gas chamber.

>>82211635
Not only that but Omega men actually takes on political issues like repression, colonialization, and the problems that cultures have dealing with the power imbalances between them head on. It deals with this better than any comic I've seen in decades. Maybe Transmetropolitan and V for Vendetta.
>>
>>82210506

It's four dollars for 15 pages. That's hard to justify
>>
>>82211939
They can use paypal and Skrill.
They want to be acknowledged, they don't care about comics.

I live in Mexico and I still managed to get my grubby hands on Multiversity trades, several HC, Omnibuses and that is not taking into account the Marvel / Viz translations.

I got a HC edition of Starman, most of Morrison Batman Run, and then my digital comics. I even got Battle Pope.

They don't care, period.
>>
>>82211941
Her father is Mexican. People like Odette Annable and Aubrey Plaza are Hispanic too, but they look white and so no one thinks of them as Hispanic because everyone's image of Latinos is just uniformly brown people who fill some Danny Trejo/Sofia Vergara stereotype. There are plenty of Hispanics who are indistinguishable from your everyday cracker.
>>
>>82211880
Payment kiosks and check cashing stores?

I mean, I know what you're getting at, and I'm sure most of them are bums, but people use their card info online too much as-is and they could stand to use gift cards more often.
>>
>>82210700
This is untrue, but the vast majority of the time that 'change' is for the worst. So there's a very good reason why comic fans would be adverse to change.
>>
>>82211949
>The new Wally and Power girl
are shit that's why also comic fans hate change every other day we have 300 post threads begging for Superman red trunks back.
Also new 52 earth 2 old alright even though it immediately turned to shit
>>
>>82212060
Despite that, it sells about as well as Gail Simone's The Movement which handled political issues about as well as you'd expect her to.
>>
>>82211905
Already tackled. They need the Amazon gift card bucks for necessary stuff. So you have that situation and apparently digital comics are inconvenient because you have to spend their own money on it. But don't you dare take away their diverse comics that they can read an article about in The Mary Sue, io9, etc.
>>
File: inhumans vs mutants.jpg (108KB, 528x813px) Image search: [Google]
inhumans vs mutants.jpg
108KB, 528x813px
>>82212060
>Magneto a literal survivor of the Holocaust will confront the inhuman, a superior race in x-men civil war
>>
>>82211941

He would make it about himself if someone called him on his ego wanking.
>>
>>82212081
Her father is Cuban, sorry
>>
>>82211933

No, she really did. She took the name Ms. Marvel and Carol had to scrape up some other name because she's a shit character Marvel still wants to push.
>>
>>82212060
>an inhuman terrigan mist gas chamber.
It kinda was, the context is as simple.

Inhuman terrigen gas kills off mutants, or severely fucks their shit. Possibly the editors did not think that they were gassing minorities in favor of the inhuman "Master Race" possibly because any company that read their own comics would not have Bendis on board.

I have lost count of how many extinction events the x-men have gone through these past 16 years alone.
>>
>>82211813

Milestone is fantastic. I loved Hardware despite being whiter than an albino.
>>
>>82210506
it's not about the total dollar number it's about the entertainment per dollar. For $10 a month I can watch as many films and television shows as I'd like on netflix. For $10 on comics I get less than three issues most of the time, 30 minutes of entertainment. No one is going to spend that when these other options are available.
Fuck, comics are less price efficient than movie tickets, which is really bad when you're supposed to be pulpy populist media.
>>
>>82210407
>Fangirl of Carol Danvers
That's how I know it's fiction
>>
>>82212124
yeah but you are forgetting that all the characters that had the ms/cap marvel mantle had some kind of cosmic power, Kamala is part of the exception along with Monica.
>>
>>82212171

Also, Cyclops is worst than Hitler for some reason.
>>
>>82212167
>A used car is actually cheaper than collecting hickman's run
>>
>>82212120
is he 100 now?
>>
>>82210107
Yeah, and maybe the outspoken comic writers will keep their political views to themselves instead of forcing it down towards an audience full of children and manchildren. And before some idiotic SJW from /co/ thinks I'm kind of Nazi Terrorist from /pol/, I think all political rumblings from all sides of the political spectrum is fucking retarded. I'm here to read comics, not be lectured by the moral police about what I should feel about certain controversial political issues. I literally see politishit everywhere, in my video games, my television shows, my cartoons, my films, and on the internet. I don't want that drama shit on my comics. For heaven's sake, you want me to take the opinions of fictional posthuman characters who wear goofy costumes and solves their problems by knocking out other costumed freaks seriously?
>>
File: 1459801261386.jpg (38KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1459801261386.jpg
38KB, 413x395px
>>82212195
>>
>>82212113
Hey, slow your roll there, pal. Living up to the standards of the current year and reposting something from social media is one thing, but we can't expect people to spend credit on comics. You know what you can do with a gift card? You can buy stuff other than comics! That's way too much power to waste.
>>
>>82212089
Very true
>>
>>82212242
He is going to die this or next year.
>>
>>82212242
Chronologically he's probably in his late 80's to early 90's

Physically there's a lot of comic book fuckery involved
>>
>>82212209

Even if it's been done in the past doesn't mean it's not being done now.
>>
>>82212280
okay but is he actually 100 years old like he should be
>>
>>82211792
Only three companies specialize in superhero comics, and one of them is Valiant so it's more like two and a half.

The rest of the industry is almost all sci-fi, supernatural fantasy, and "indie"/hipster shit. THAT is by far the most common types of comics and what there is "too much of" if anything.
>>
File: 1459011912752.jpg (93KB, 456x386px) Image search: [Google]
1459011912752.jpg
93KB, 456x386px
>>82211958
>Captain Marvel
>Spider-Woman,
>Spider-Gwen

spider woman was about her being pregnat and helping a villain change his ways so he could be reunited with his dotter. it was a solid comics with fun jokes

spider-gwen was about a superhero that tried her best to make good so she could feel clean with the guilt that she killed her friend (peter parker the lizard) it was pretty great but stoped because of the art.

haven't read everything with CM so i can't say much there.

But man I don't know why people is even in this thread when they just spout so much bullshit. fucking christ. everyone screams forced diversity and political agenda.

you see memes like thor fighting Misogynistic Odin and you think that's every fucking comic with woman.
>>
>>82210174
>>82210216
Comics cost $4 an issue, plus a Quarter if you buy Bag n Board for it.
If I were employed, I'd buy the lastest issue of my favored periodical every time a new one came out.
>>
>>82212308
Technically close, or there, but he's been deaged more than once I think
>>
>>82212181
I think this is why comics need to offer a monthly subscription service of some sort, hell even have them set a month or two behind from current floppies if you want.
I mean look at services like crunchyroll, netflix, or lootcrate. They offer a monthly solid rate that covers everything monthly, sure it's not always the greatest stuff but it's not overly expensive and it offers something you may like on occasion
>>
>>82212326
>it was a solid comics with fun jokes

No, it was mediocre at best, and I say that as a bitterly disappointed preggo fetishist who approached the book with optimism
>>
>>82211850
I'm not talking about digital comics, I mean buying physical hardcopies online and getting it delivered to your doorstep.
>>
File: 4959227-0+swoman2015002_dc11_lr-0.jpg (1014KB, 2199x3338px) Image search: [Google]
4959227-0+swoman2015002_dc11_lr-0.jpg
1014KB, 2199x3338px
This is all kinds of fetish fuel.
>>
>>82212245
>For heaven's sake, you want me to take the opinions of fictional posthuman characters who wear goofy costumes and solves their problems by knocking out other costumed freaks seriously?
But of course. After all, when you get lectured by your social betters, through the magic of narrative, you "know" stuff - and "knowing" things is way more important than silly stuff like entertainment.
>>
>>82211875
The hilarious part is that EVERY writer, penciler, inker, colorist, and letterer at Marvel is either white or jewish. They have ONE muslim editor and the rest of the company is 100% whites and jews.
>>
>>82212326
I actually don't, I mean it's more subtle in those titles, also I was talking about Spider-Woman before the pregnancy thing more than anything. That shit was stupid, an entire place for moms of deadbeat villains to escape their husbands and they even make the husband steal shit for them, come on that shit was messed
>>
>>82212356
Marvel already does that with unlimited for $10/month, with a wait period of six months for new issues.
>>
>>82212356
Yep, I pay 20 dollars a month I get to pick 10 titles per month I want, I pay 30 I get to pick 15 titles, I pay 40 I get to pick 30 titles, I pay 50 I get to pick 50 titles. Some other number for ALL OF THEM INCLUDING ANTHOLOGIES/EVENTS ETC
You also get people because they won't cancel their subscriptions in time, and you'll make more money.
>>
>>82212326
>memes like thor fighting Misogynistic Odin
>memes

It's literally panels from the comic.
>>
>>82210530
I'm trying to imagine how Bendis would fuck up a steak. Help me, /co/.
>>
bitching about le ess jay double us is so old at this point

like what can you argue that hasn't been argued, I don't see the point in constantly getting this mad at people drawing comic books
>>
>>82210705
>Half of /co/ seems to take it on faith that the comics industry is 'dying' (whatever the fuck that means) but is that actually the case?
No. That has been said since probably at least since Wertham and the CCA. Even Jack Kirby told a young Neal Adams not to get into comics as it was a dying medium
>>
>>82212447
Yeah Marvel Marvel made a decent move with that decision, but they don't market it enough. I think DC needs to follow suit with something similar

>>82212475
See that could work if a third party service like comixology or someone does it, and they can even email you with titles you may be interested in based on your reading list
>>
>>82212441
No many, many pencillers and inkers across the industry are south american and a few are black or asian (including Copiel, Cheung and Yu some of their big guns) and they have two black editors on top of the one brown girl one.
>>
>>82212525
At this point people are doing it because it makes the mod cry.
>>
File: 1386535885756.jpg (54KB, 354x364px) Image search: [Google]
1386535885756.jpg
54KB, 354x364px
>Thor is a coalburning white woman
>Hulk is Asian
>Spider-Man shares the spotlight with a black kid
>Ironman is a ginger woman
>Wolverine is an Asian woman
>Captain America is a black man
>Ms. Marvel is a teenage Muslim girl
>>
>>82210501
Bends feeds on rage
Dan feeds on tears
>>
>>82212608
putting so much energy into arguing over semantics over people just drawing non-white super heroes to make a /co/ mod cry is kind of ridiculous, if you just sit and look at it.
>>
>>82212326
>But man I don't know why people is even in this thread when they just spout so much bullshit. fucking christ. everyone screams forced diversity and political agenda.
>you see memes like thor fighting Misogynistic Odin and you think that's every fucking comic with woman.

Because smarmy shit like that is the norm! Stuff like Ms. Marvel and early - EARLY - Spider-Gwen are the outliers! The majority of that shit is stuff like Fearless Defenders, or A-Force, or The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, or KSD Captain Marvel, or Bombshells, or Angela, or Hellcat, or Black Canary, or Batgirl, just to name a few recent ones - self-satisfied tripe.
>>
>>82212556
DC has a lot of financial incentives not to do it, especially since Marvel Unlimited didn't exactly take off.
>>
>>82212630
>Thor is a coalburning white woman with cancer

FTFY
>>
>>82212660
Yeah, but the more this guy prunes at times entire threads with relevant discussion, the more they crop up. If he just let it die, it'd have been over days ago.
>>
>>82212442
but couldn't you argue that the comic itself showed it was wrong.
especially when one of the husbands was in focus.

again I'm not trying to protect the comic i'm more curious how other took it i saw it as pretty cool idea and liked that the only one of the wifes that actually had a strong reason why they did why they did was the lady leader that had a abusive husband the others was dicks.
>>
>>82212523
>Bendis buys a steak
>Peppers the steak
>tenderizes the steak
>does some more preparing, and even marinates it
>starts to cook the steak
>the steak is half done and he throws it out
>Bendis screams "The Steak was not diverse enough"
>He goes to the market and buys a Chicken
>He hires someone to prepare it like they would a steak but demands that it be treated better than the steak
>Bendis refuses to consume the Chicken
>Asks someone that he thinks is less pivileged eat the Chicken
>When asked about the Chicken he will say "it was always Steak", "it's better than the Steak", " You only think you like the steak better"
>>
>>82212670
>Thor is coalburning cancer
FTFY2
>>
>>82212630
>>Ironman is a ginger woman
what?
did mj take tonys suit
>>
>>82212666
True, I mean the Marvel didn't market unlimited properly so it looks bad to DC. Maybe if a third party company takes over that service and does it for both companies it may turn out better, but at that point it's more about what works financially for all groups involved
>>
>>82212745
>Thor is cancer
FTFY3
>>
>>82212630
So...?
>Hulk is Asian
So...?
So...?
So...?
So...?
So...?
So...?

You see, all of these concepts can work great if written well, the problem is they're not.

When for the past twenty years you've been reading comic books about alien celestial villains bent on genociding for whatever contrived reason, in a convoluted story arc where people die for it only to be reset ad nauseum

There's no reason why any of the above should be unbelievable, save the writing is well written.

Thor could be a fucking ftm, I really don't give a shit.

The problem is comics are shit, they've been shit for aeons now, and you're angry at the thinnest detail of it.
>>
>>82212713
This is all happening way too fast for Bendis to be behind it.
>>
>>82212794
That's why he hired someone else to make the chicken
>>
>>82212481
Angela Queen of Hel meme was the actual thing that I wanted to say but forgot the titel but yes it's garbage I'm not arguing that I am arguing that not every female/poc comic is not about that.
>>
>>82212593
Not at Marvel, they aren't.
>>
>TheMarySue on suicide watch

Can that site just fuck off already. The amount of bullshit they post is like the equivalent of a political site.
>>
>>82212707
Maybe I am overly reading into it, I just felt it was a stupid gotcha moment stating that all men are bad and woman are better off without them or some bullshit.
I mean i never really liked the writing of the title to begin with and maybe I was looking for an excuse to stop reading it all together, I am more than willing to admit that
>>
>>82212849
>before ANAD it was a pisstake on white feminism.

You must be joking.
>>
>>82211236
>DC is acknowledging that the bulk of their audience is white men
And the people who arent "white men who buy comics" honestly dont really give a shit. The whiners got their chance to prove everyone wrong, and yet the diversity comics struggle to sell. A new skin color wont replace a good story, ever.
>>
>>82212865
We have to wait for their subscription model to fail.
>hardly anyone wants to buy diverse books
>hardly anyone wants to pay to read clickbait trash
Thank goodness for time.
>>
>>82212885
So in the past spiderman has gotten pregnant but you're suddenly acting like le degeneracy of comic book characters existing in a shit comic book is a tragedy.

it's not, comics have always been shit. People who take them too seriously to get politically charged about it are probably friendless, ergo cuck
>>
>>82211236
Is asian superman and black handicaped boyfriend for supergirl for the white male audience?
>>
>>82212941
But previously shit comics weren't hailed by the industry and its critics as important, progressive must-reads for the good of all comic book fans

Spider-Man got pregnant and at best it wound up on a Cracked article about all the Stupidest Things You Won't Believe Marvel Did with Spider-Man.
>>
>>82212940
good for you. I'm sure you'll get somewhere with bitching about superheroes someday.

Hey, maybe they'll listen to you someday if you moan hard enough about captain america being black, and not the content of the comics themselves being poor.

I'm sure if you scream "NIGGGGERR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" loud enough people will definitely listen to you
>>
>>82212991
Covered by
>most of
Some diverse books do sell, you just have to find the saturation sweet spot. And then there's stuff that doesn't sell but they're going to support it anyway because Didio enjoys it like volume 2 of Prez.
>>
>>82212909
Most white men who buy comics didn't give a shit either, until people forced tokenism for diversity's sake. The backlash is appropriate.

If these "diverse" characters were actually well-written (like Angela in her original franchise: SPAWN), they'd sell well. Instead, they're just tokens to appease the newest trend. Thinking people won't notice and will buy anyway is just braindead. If you drop in quality too much, people stop buying your product. That's true in any industry, barring the few diehard fanboys who couple their ego with a brand name.
>>
>>82210011
>reading comics
>not stashing your comics in a hollow tree trunk
What's it like to be a non-squirrel?
>>
>>82211236
>Just whit men
It's really not just white men. The issue is that diversity for it's own sake, is like affirmative action. It's not actually a good thing but it makes people who feel bad think that they've done a good thing. Instead of being so good you didn't care who the protagonist is, 9/10 the characters didn't deserve the book or the space they were taking.

>>82212991
I'm fairly sure it's Chinese propaganda. I'd piss of the chinese myself by making him gay.
>>
>>82212829
Ah, of course, that makes way more sense. Brilliant stuff.

>>82212847
I don't know. I mean, not all of them were like that before, but they're like that now, and they will continue to be that way for as long as the writers feel the need to stick it to somebody. That's not much better.
>>
>>82212859
Carlos Pacheo
Jesus Moreno
Mike Dedato
Ariel Olivetti
Humberto Ramos
just off the top of my head
>>
>>82211236
>>82212909
Historically comics with female characters were made for males. It's only recent that the "males don't like female characters" meme started.
>>
>>82212792
Thor being Jane Foster was stupid, who even asked for that?

Amadeus Cho Hulk is pretty fun, but I think that's because Cho on art and Pak writing is awesome and works well

You know Miles wouldn't be so bad if Bendis wasn't writing him, I personally want Pak on the book

Are you saying that Mary Jane is taking over as Iron Man, if that happens Bendis will continue to be a cuck

To be fair I am ok with X-23 taking over as Wolverine, but the writing has been weird, I especially hated that line about men online not liking her be Wolverine, that was forced as fuck

Sam taking over from Steve made sense, they've been friends for awhile. I think the things that really hurt it were the political agendas that Sam tried to address which were not necessary.

meh her book is cute, but it's not great. I really don't have much to say here
>>
>>82213076
All these South Americans working at Marvel and they can't be assed to make an A-list Latino that isn't leeching someone else's legacy.
>>
>>82213088
Well, a lot of those series did struggle. Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl ended up being Marvel's longest running female solo, I don't know if it's been surpassed yet.
>>
>>82213121
Well they're artists, it's post crash it's a writers game now.
>>
>>82212765
>"and like it or not she's not going anywhere"
yeah, until she dies of cancer
she's either gonna die as a human bc she keeps resetting her chemo or she's going to be close to death and decide to become thor full time until she inevitably will have to revert at some point (knocked out, blocked out of the hammer, etc) and once she reverts to human she'll die
Odinson will have the 616 hammer back by the time thor 3 comes out in cinema
>>
>>82213036
The problem is that comic book characters not being white is somehow a shock to the medium itself and its readers.

It shouldn't be, it's more of a statement on comics themselves that they make these characters outside of the racial norms they were previously in, not to explore them, but for marketing purposes.

It's the same strategy they always had, just tweaked for obvious purposes, to sell you on the above idea, that isn't really there. It's the same badly written comic book we've always gotten.

So I suppose we're in agreement for different reasons.
>>
>>82212877
>character gets thing for no specific reason
>is touted as better than male peers for no specific reason
>incredibly stupid MUH SOLIDARITY plot, something that has largely been rejected by third wave feminism and is a specific critique of white feminism
>assumes everyone doesn't like her because she's a woman and acts shittier because of it
It's pretty much all there.
>>
>>82213121
could you name any new marvel character of any race that got his on solo without connections to any other comic.
>>
>>82213152
It's NOT a shock to the readers. The issue has never been "diversity", it's always been tokenism. Kamala in the OP is a prime example of this. Well-written sells well. Token shit is just that: Shit. And shit doesn't sell.
>>
>>82213202
How new are we talking.
>>
>>82213089
See

My point is. You can mix and match races all you want, and explore the characters from different perspectives.

But that's not what's happening. Same cheap shit from the mid 2000's all over again
>>
>>82213225
mm 2014 because that's when miles and Kamala came out.
>>
>>82213290
I got nothin.
>>
>>82210344
Is it bad that I spend around 20 to 90 dollars on floppies?
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 350x525px
>we want the "people who don't read comics" audience

Bravo marketing ploy
>>
>>82210101

Actually pirates do read the comics. What you would ask them is "how much would you pay?"

SJWs just want tokenism. They want the comic there so they can say it exists to further aggrandie themselves and their agenda.

SJWs are worse than pirates.
>>
File: 1461207186692.png (4KB, 203x231px) Image search: [Google]
1461207186692.png
4KB, 203x231px
>>82211575
The ironing
>>
>>82213275
Yeah your right, it is indeed what is happening right now. However it doesn't help that most of these writers will shun any form of criticism or suggestion as some kind of racism or misogyny instead of taking it as a possible good change to character development
>>
>>82213317
2010?
i'm actually curious now
>>
>>82213327
Hey as long as your happy with you purchases and it isn't financially hurting you then it's not a problem
>>
>>82210112

No, it is. You can think it's good but you can't say the Islam Jersey girl angle isn't the point of the comic.
>>
File: intrigue.jpg (51KB, 468x306px) Image search: [Google]
intrigue.jpg
51KB, 468x306px
>>82213287
But what if Mark is actually Sandy? This could just be a consecutive double heel turn.
>>
>>82213463
if you replaced it with new york catholic male you get daredevil and that's apparently fine.
>>
>>82213414
Marvel doesn't really make spanking new characters anymore, the last new characters I can think of were the Avengers Academy kids
>>
>>82213447
It's a problem for the world that such people exist while white people are starving in Africa.
>>
>>82210101
pirates read and buy collections though. I've spent probably upwards of 10k on comics in my life but it's all collections
>>
>>82210407
Is Carol's rape public knowledge in universe, now?
>>
>>82213693
Likely not public knowledge, but everyone in this room knows. Carol lost her memory again so she might not even know anymore.
>>
>>82213693
of course not
kamila would call herself spider-woman if that was the case.
>>
>>82210524
My library has a whole long shelf for comics, and a whole other one for manga. I've discovered neat stuff just by perusing. It also has vidya consoles and paintings to check out. Your library sucks ass.
>>
File: 1442775895494.gif (480KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
1442775895494.gif
480KB, 250x309px
>>82210310
They have a point here though.
I'll never get over how unfathomably retarded the "Person of Color" trend is.

You're literally going back to calling them "Colored People," just now you're using passive voice.
They're literally judging a person with complete disregard to their actual cultural heritage by lumping them together with everyone else AND they're defining that person's existance on HOW THEY FUCKING RELATE TO WHITE PEOPLE.

I mean jesus christ, how can people not see this? Is there anybody that this gets applied to that actually enjoys it?
>>
>>82213861
are you an actual south park watcher
>>
>>82210675
So you're saying we need a new Runaways. Runaways didn't sell, so no.
>>
File: 1411495764976.jpg (230KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1411495764976.jpg
230KB, 600x800px
>>82212630
>>
>Diverse comics aren't selling.
a.) you're not buying them. You are your own market. b.) the market that currently does buy things is obviously going to be the one that dictates what sells
>>N-not everyone buys their comics from places you can track like bookstores or Walmart!
But all sales are trackable in some sense. Even something online like Ebay or comixology or Amazon retains the data of a sales transaction and a memory of the item existing, regardless of whether the money goes to the buyer. Amazon, or one of the comics companies
>>S-some borrow from their friends or read from a library!
Borrowing is literally theft in a comic company's eyes because its taking away from a potential profit. Library is a government institution in which most cases you pay for a membership so its okay
This is true in some sense, but there are those attempting to rectify this even as we speak, hiring less obese sweaty unhygienic nerds and more normal people for lack of a better word. and that they basically have a monopoly on comics physical distribution well tough shit then. Make your purchase and leave. A place doesn't necessarily have to be a place where you talk with a worker for several minutes. I know when I worked a retail job I hated talking to customers for 10 minutes about their lives, especially during a rush
>>C-comics are too expensive to buy!
this is very true.
Make a series of non-abstract criteria and present them as diversity markers, and then we'll seriously talk about this
>>
>>82213861
Progressives by nature do not self-examine. They judge the outcomes of their thoughts and ideas based on how others are physically affected, not by how logical or reasonable their thoughts and ideas may actually be.

This results in their lovely brand of doublethink where if they cannot physically see an outcome of progressive thought, they cannot acknowledge it exists, but they must acknowledge that progressivism exists or else there is no progressive thought to inflict on others.

And so it goes. They can't ever stop being, well, exactly what they are because if they so much as slow down and think about what they're doing for even a minute the illusion collapses and they OD on ketamine.
>>
File: 2012-07-23-Shadows.jpg (120KB, 675x520px) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-23-Shadows.jpg
120KB, 675x520px
>>82210793
More people read webcomics. Nothing can pander to your specific tastes at a reasonable price like something drawn by your fetish circle that you can see for free on your phone whenever you want.
>>
I absolutely refuse to buy single floppy issues, and instead buy a trade paperbacks every once in a while, am I a part of the problem?
>>
>>82213974
What a crock of shit.

This is about a marketing ploy, not the philosophy of some vague "oooOOooOOoO multicultural bogeyman" shut the fuck up.

This is literally about the dead medium which is comic books

If given enough time you could probably write a dissertation on the attitudes of posters you don't like on /co/
>>
>>82214039
I never said anything about multiculturalism, you projecting so-and-so you. If you like poorly written comics which justify their existence on the color of their characters' skin, hey, good on you. I'm still going to comment on it.
>>
>>82210945
They shouldn't allow threads that mention them in the subject/comment. It is clearly a troll thread.
>>
>>82210727

To be fair, nobody gives a shit about Carol fucking Danvers.

As opposed to heroes like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Hulk, etc. who are widely known as Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, etc. Making new characters replace the most iconic heroes in your universe is just setting yourself up for failure.
>>
>>82214032
Yes.
>>
>>82214079
I never implied I liked the comics.

I don't like them for actual reasons, like the writing is shitty and doesn't live up to its initial promise, not blaming people for wanting characters who aren't strong jawed grizzled white stereotypes as in on some sort of evil conspiracy to ruin everything you like.
>>
>>82209965

>Don't blame readers for low sales of diverse comics

I bet this will be DC's fault somehow
>>
File: vm11c0bnlgwczfl4lmjx.png (749KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
vm11c0bnlgwczfl4lmjx.png
749KB, 800x450px
On the subject of SJW comics, how's Gwenpool?

I judged it by the cover and shrugged it off as just another meme-filled, forced diversity loaded, Skwerlgurl-esque, OH SO QUIRKY xDDD pile of SJW faggotry, but a few friends have told me it's not like that at all, and it's actually pretty good.

Can anyone confirm?
>>
>>82214139
Oh, that backpedaling. Love it. Sure, you just happened to be browsing a thread about comics and you just happened to respond to a post criticizing comics that you just happened to disagree with.

And your racialist projecting just makes it all the more hilarious. Toss another strawman on that fire from your bothered booty.
>>
>>82209965
Holy shit used cars for sale
>>
>>82210107

For DC it already has with Rebirth. Marvel is going to double down though
>>
>>82214183
Read the first issue up to the very last page.

I promise you up and down that last page is worth whatever quirky shit happens before it.
>>
>>82214183
it's not
listen to your friends

just don't read any other responds because spoilers.
>>
Bitching about sjws bitching is worse than sjws bitching.

Bitching about bitching leads to bitching about bitching about bitching until everyone isn't arguing about shit.
>>
File: scorbydu.jpg (13KB, 338x405px) Image search: [Google]
scorbydu.jpg
13KB, 338x405px
>>82210107
>It's called the dark ages because all the white skin was replaced by various darker shades of brown

wew
>>
>>82212245
To be honest I wouldn't actually mind politics in comics if it was handled better, and if the amount of politics was proportional to how political the story itself was, instead of having a primarily non-political story with huge amounts of political distraction.

I mean you look at 1984, you look at animal farm, they're political tracts against the excesses of the Soviet Union written by a Socialist. They're incredibly political works, but they're still enjoyable stories, even now that the USSR is gone the message against totalitarianism and on how often revolutions go awry is strong.

It doesn't even have to be as high-minded as that, but when you approach the "that was a thing" issue of the month in a comic, or you mention gamergate, or you handle race/sex relations in an SJW style it almost always winds up putting politics far ahead of an interesting story (often to the point of outright detouring from the main, non political story to deliver the John Galt speech.)
>>
>>82214183

its written by the guy who does Dr McNinja. if that means anything to you?

The back-ups in Howard the Duck (with a different artist) were pretty solid. The first issue was kinda weak, but had some lovely Gurihiru art.

Hastings has said they're gonna delve into the fact that she essentially knows everyone's secret identities, so it could get more interesting depending on how they take that.
>>
File: 1436721091187.png (84KB, 245x316px) Image search: [Google]
1436721091187.png
84KB, 245x316px
>>82214175
Quit shadow boxing.

>>82214234
>it's not good don't read it
>also don't spoil it for yourself for when you do read it
Kinda giving me mixed signals there, buddy.
>>
>>82214183
I'll have to wait for more issues, but it ends with the implication that shit got real just then, and she's been wrong about how the world works.
To butcher a scenario from a comic I saw here, it's like she realized that she's not the Badass cop in a John Wayne movie, she's the idiot hick who dies in a monster movie.
That's not as much of a spoiler as it sounds.
>>
>>82214190
I like the idea of characters being explored from different perspectives for fucking the first time in 20 years. It honestly gave the promise of some kind of originality.

But you're not complaining about the writing, or the execution, as always awful you've always gobbled up.

You're bitching about the above chance to actually explore the characters because you're a loser on the internet who cares about the race of your favorite character staying white.

Not the marketing ploy that this all rests on.

It's just as shallow, it's kind of pointless with no motive besides, "the old days were better!" even though comics haven't been that great in general for decades now.
>>
>>82214234
WHOOPS, ignore my reply >>82214321
I misread your post.
>>
>>82210350
I disagree, it's perfectly valid for a black person not to want to feel tokenized and I think it actually gives Miles some personality to have him take a stance on something like this.
>>
>>82214353
>You're bitching about the above chance to actually explore the characters because you're a loser on the internet who cares about the race of your favorite character staying white.

I never said or even implied this.

> "the old days were better!" even though comics haven't been that great in general for decades now.

See above.

Your fractured ass and poor grasp of argument brought you here and you're none the better for it. You illustrate perfectly the type of shitty, reactionary "fan" of the comics you so desperately defend as new and original, despite only being palette swaps of established characters.

You've done nothing but air out your racial insecurities and toss strawmen. Shine on, you crazy diamond.
>>
>>82210378
>>82210705
the most hilarious part about it is that he literally said he created Miles so his black kids would have a young hero to look up to
>>
>>82214488
>Your fractured ass and poor grasp of argument brought you here

this isn't debate team, this is /co/. I'm free to generalize you and have awful arguments, because going through it again and again for tens of posts is exhausting and not worth it.

>You've done nothing but air out your racial insecurities and toss strawmen. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I don't think I've never seen a post so pretentious
>>
>>82212280
I expect they will eventually have him escape the holocaust through a time portal or something.
>>
>>82214587
>I'm free to generalize you and have awful arguments

And I'm free to point them out and laugh at you for being an idiot.
>>
>>82214039
>his is literally about the dead medium which is comic books
Fucking capefags I swear
>>
>>82214611
They're adopted buddy calm down
>>
>>82213553
Daredevil doesn't sell on Matt being a new york catholic male you ableist.
>>
>>82209965
Why the fuck isnt this thread deleted?
>>
>>82214615
I guess it's fair since I'm doing the same since you have no real purpose for arguing in the first place besides open buzz words free to be interpreted as a fair number of stereotypes.
>>
>>82210049
which 3?
>>
>>82211485
>movies are great
>>
Shit sucks cause I love Ms. Marvel. She's actually really interesting and they don't overblow her nerdyness to much.

The balance between her wanting a normal American life vs a converative muslim one is handeled very well. They aren't afraid of pointing out that muslim faith has a lot of flaws to it or portraying muslim characters as bad guys.
>>
>>82214726
I did, but you didn't read. Now you're marginalizing the argument you just participated in. Wonder why that is?

Could it be because you're a fucking idiot?
>>
>>82214723
because it's actually discussing things in a competent and intelligent manner and discussing a real article instead of just being a SJW or anti-SJW bash thread made to bitch about politics
>>
>>82209965
Kamala only sells when Alphona, Miyazawa and Gurihiru draw her.

Rest not cute enough
>>
>>82211278

You do what DC did and make your comics cheaper
>>
>>82209965

So buy then in a magazine stand you fuck
>>
>>82214810
Ms Marvel is only in that image for attention grabbing purposes.

Not only is she a solid seller, but the article that OP image is rebutting lists like 15 books that are 24k+ sellers. That's a niche audience, not 100k sellers or anything.
>>
>>82210488
>starting off with a meme
>food analogy that doesn't even apply
Retard/10
>>
>>82214975
>So buy them in a magazine stand

A what, grandpa?
>>
File: 1461534920392.jpg (61KB, 624x594px) Image search: [Google]
1461534920392.jpg
61KB, 624x594px
>>82214267
Comics have been in the dark ages since the 90s, retard.
>>
>>82211278
literally just make it cheaper. There's no reason for Marvel books to be $4 and $5 standard price when DC can do it at $3. Literally the only expensive book DC has is Legends of Tomorrow and it's like $8 for the equivalent of 4 books which evens out at $2 each.
>>
>>82209965
>don't blame the readers

No, I certainly wouldn't. I'd blame who-ever thought it was a good idea to cater to a nonexistent niche.
>>
>>82214975
People do that. Print is something like <50% of Ms Marvels sales.
>>
File: 1457669012292.jpg (18KB, 258x322px) Image search: [Google]
1457669012292.jpg
18KB, 258x322px
>>82215043
Think you got a little lost there.
>>
>>82214963
>90 years of comic books across the planet
>Have they always been like this?

Of course not idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 380x261px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 380x261px
>>82214186
>If you disagree with me you must be from /pol/!
>>
>>82212666
DC has absolutely no reason to give away their digital back catalog for free instead of selling it per issue like they're doing now. Marvel Unlimited loses money, for sure.
>>
>>82210506
It doesn't help that the comic companies charge put the ass for something that's so easy to pirate
>>
>>82214461
And yet Miles's selling point for Marvel has basically been "Hey! It's black Spider-Man!" all this time.
>>
>>82213036
Yes huh. It was called being topical. All the rage in the 70s.
>>
>>82213955
C U T E
U
T
E
>>
>>82215038
DC's drawing the line at 2.99 again because they're double shipping practically everything.
>>
>>82210101
>This is like saying that Marvel/DC should do whatever pirates want
That's actually pretty silly, since at least those pirates read comics. They're likely to start picking up series' they like if they know they won't get cancelled at issue 4.
BTW Nu52 OMAC called and said to tell you: FUCK YOU
>>
>>82215368

No, they're double shipping the books that are guaranteed to sell so they can afford to publish books like Blue Beetle and Gotham Academy. And they are absolutely right to do so
>>
>>82214242
I don't understand why the thread is even still up. It's off-topic and a troll. X comics is a thread about X, not comics.
>>
>>82209965
>>82209965
Can someone explain to me the allure of diversity in the media? Because all i see from it are shoehorned ghetto retards, and man hating women coming from said "diverse" media outlets.
>>
>>82211481
>gay people in the 90s/20s loved the x-men stories
The X-Men were around in the 1920s?
>>
>>82214856
That conversation ended an hour ago. It is just trolls and off-topic bitching, now.
>>
>>82215204
Yes, the character in the comic not liking that in universe is very different from marketing tactics out of the comic anon. Separate fiction and reality.
>>
>>82215437
Because this is 4chan, not some Disney outpost like OP's site where anything that criticizes the narrative must be quashed.
>>
>>82215508
yet you keep bumping the thread
>>
>>82215435
Double-shipped Cyborg, Deathstroke, and Suicide Squad don't seem to me like sure hits. And double shipping is definitely a factor in the price reduction back to 2.99
>>
>>82215566

This. I don't agree with deleting posts unless it's awful shit like CP. Censorship is not what 4chan is about
>>
>>82215589
Actually, no, I don't. But it's against the rules to go into details as to how.
>>
>>82210341
>while stuff they hate is often fun or at least harmless.

Not so much fun as bland. It's what you end up with when not trying to offend anyone.
>>
File: 1201407407305.jpg (58KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1201407407305.jpg
58KB, 400x600px
>>82215566
>>82215604
Don't tell me where I am, little lamb. This thread is the cancer.
>>
>>82215597

Suicide Squad does about 30,000 and Deathstroke 25,000 not great but reliable. Cyborg is the only Double shipping book that is likely to tank
>>
File: Whatev.jpg (31KB, 512x381px) Image search: [Google]
Whatev.jpg
31KB, 512x381px
>>82213861

>They're literally judging a person with complete disregard to their actual cultural heritage by lumping them together with everyone else

I don't see the problem with that, we do the same thing with "White People".
>>
>>82215682

Then you're free to leave
>>
File: 1446675578708.jpg (177KB, 626x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1446675578708.jpg
177KB, 626x1250px
>>82215604
>Censorship
There's that word again.
>>
>>82215604
I delete my posts all the time
>>
File: 1343956545184.jpg (133KB, 756x564px) Image search: [Google]
1343956545184.jpg
133KB, 756x564px
>>82215604
>shitting up the threads with off topic garbage
>censorship
There are rules on boards that aren't /b/.
>>
>>82215566
The thread is off-topic. It is not about comics or cartoons. It is a troll.
>>
File: 1433334310520.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1433334310520.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>82215772
why don't you delete your head from your shoulders and save us all from your future shitposting...
>>
>>82215516
And that's not remotely hypocritical?
>>
You're all faggots, and should never breed.
>>
comic books flop because they are fucking gay as fuck.
>>
>>82213861
I had a run-in a few days ago with a black girl that calls herself a "PoC".

I'm latino. A brown-skinned, black-haired, black-eyed, Spanish-as-first-language latino. By SJW logic, I should be a Pea o' Sea as well. But if it were so black-and-white a situation, that girl and I wouldn't have gotten into an argument concerning races in the first place.
>>
>>82215684
Why do they keep pushing him? He's fucking boring. He has zero personality.
>>
>>82215778
Yeah, but jumping around the thread deleting random individual posts for being "bad" just disrupts conversation even more than leaving them in place. Unless it's all coming from the same person, in which case they should just ban the faggot and be done with it.
>>
>>82215837
Well..when you look at most superheroes and heroines...yeah kinda.
>>
>>82215784
Nigger please, /co/ doesn't talk about either of those things, it talks about shitty cape movies. At least this thread is actually about fucking comics.
>>
>>82215922
>She-Hulk

wait, what?
>>
>>82215889

Because they needed a diverse member for the JL. And Cyborg had the most potential. It's just been poorly handled
>>
File: 039.jpg (39KB, 316x343px) Image search: [Google]
039.jpg
39KB, 316x343px
>>82215922
>>
>>82215920
The thread is off-topic. It is not about comics or cartoons. It is a troll.
>>
>>82215889
He's someones pet favorite and fills a diversity gap
>>
He's right in a way. After all, it's not our fault that the comics aren't selling well. Assuming of course, he's referring to "the readers" as in the comic audience in general and not the SJW audience they're trying to pander.
>>
>>82215956

It's a troll image. Don't put too much thought into it.
>>
>>82215974
This thread is about comics.
>>
File: image.png (229KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
229KB, 500x305px
So going back on the topic of doing things right/wrong, anyone else excited that DC is putting Priest on Deathstroke and not shuffling him onto sone random black superhero because he's black himself?
>>
>>82215983
Why not make Vixen into that? Turn her into FemPanther or some shit. I honestly don't know much about her, isn't she African? You could do some cool shit with that.
>>
>>82215889
He's more popular then basically all superheroes that aren't on television or feature in a lego game.

If you put Cyborg next to anyone that's outside of the trinity or someone who's been in a lego game they'll not know who the other person is but they'll instantly recognize cyborg.

He both fills the nonexistant diversity quota and is popular and makes money. In comics? Not really.
The loser neckbeards and creepy legbeards don't like him because he's too normy.
>>
>>82215922

Fuck me that image is hilarious
>>
File: 574545.jpg (32KB, 315x323px) Image search: [Google]
574545.jpg
32KB, 315x323px
>>82216025
>>
>>82216046
I'm happy and I hope he does well. I'd be interested in seeing him write Superman considering how awful Jurgens will be.
>>
>>82210216
>aren't friendly and inviting

So fucking what? Your money is still money, go in and buy what you want. What a bunch of pussies.
>>
>>82215728
Oh, certainly.
But you don't ever see them going about heralding white people as a positive term that needs exposure, unlike them underpriviliged colored people.
>>
>>82216046

Yes, Very. Rebirth looks great but I just know /co/ is going to fixate on small problems and blow them out of proportion
>>
>>82216063

That would where the "someones pet favorite" bit comes in. They really, really want Cyborg to work, despite the fact that he doesn't.
>>
>>82209965
>Diverse comics aren't selling
>Diverse comics
>comics
>>82216082
>/co/ - Comics & Cartoons
Images and discussion should pertain to media of Western origin.
And again if you don't like this thread stop bumping it.
>>
>>82215604
Do not criticize 4chan moderation outside /qa/.
>>
>>82216120
Money doesn't matter to them. Only FEELINGS matter. I bet every one last of them uses macs and ipads.
>>
>>82215922
>X over the the X men
don't they have like 4 books, and about 5 others starring prominet X-characters
>>
>>82216186
how doe it feel t suck moderators cocks? you kow even if you do that you will never become one yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 400x600px
>>82216063
Vixen would actually be my preferred 7th for the JL. She's black, actually African and a woman. That's all sorts of progressive points and I think she can be more interesting than Cyborg.
>>
>>82216025
No, it's about a website some idiots don't like. The people discussing comics ITT should report it instead, and start a thread about comics.
>>
>>82216237
yet you keep bumping it
>>
>Ms. Marvel is doing well because the book is well written and has a damn good artist.
>Hellcat is flopping because its boring as fuck
>Squirrel Girl looks like she came from the ancient Deep One city of Y'ha-nthlei
>Femthor is just terribly written
What is so hard to grasp? Good writing and art makes sales. Pandering to the lowest common denominator on Tumblr doesn't.
>>
>>82216223
Is she from Blacktopia like Panther or is she from a "realistic" place? She honestly strikes me as perfect for diversity purposes. Rework her costume a little, give her a solid writer and she sounds like she could be good.
>>
>>82216309
Vixen enjoys having sex with men.
>>
>>82216368
So does She Hulk.
>>
>>82216309
No, she's from actual "Africa" Africa. Small village from a fictional nation.
>>
>>82216208
yeah, 3 of them dealing with the inhuman bullshit mist and the other 2 are wolverine and wolverine.

of there is also x-men 92 which is fun
>>
>>82216223
They can't have a woman that's more interesting then WW. Some loser broad/queer with a WW fetish will bring up the fact that in some continuity WW can talk to animals and say she's redundant.

Besides, Vixen being african is never brought up, her animal powers are really interesting but never explored outiside of her using feline powers and the odd going into heat joke.

Cyborg? He's actually more well known with the target toy buying demo and is in a very popular tv show right now.
As a matter of fact, they should replace GL with Cyborg.
No one outside of guys that even the most stereotypical comic losers out there give a shit about GL and their obvious attempts to push him in every single thing they have have all fallen flat.
>>
>>82216073
You do realize that it's real though, right?
>>
>>82216445
That sounds fucking great. Why not have a comic about her cleaning up her shithole country? You could have her beating down dictators and what not and it wouldn't feel forced. Could do shit like having her fight against mercenary meta humans and what not.
>>
>>82216306
>Squirrel Girl looks like she came from the ancient Deep One city of Y'ha-nthlei
Its the art on that book really that bad?
>>
>>82216540
Yeah Storm, who is a prominent x-men, had an ongoing where the first arc arc was about her helping the village she grew up, by the time the arc was done the comics was selling like shit with 22k sales
>>
>>82210183

Considering that this is big business we are talking about here, diversity's considered a buzzword because usually in execution, they concentrate on that and less on EVERYTHING ELSE that makes a comic good.

Like selling a car that has a body of a Lamborghini but the engine of a jalopy.
>>
>>82210550
>Agents and JJ don't have colored people

JJ had fucking TWO OUT OF LIKE 6 main characters black, and they were around the whole time. Agents has May, axe guy, and more! The fuck is she on about?
>>
>>82216593
Ah of course how silly of me to forget. Even if it was well written it wouldn't last 12 issues. But fucking hell its not like Cyborg will either.

Wish they'd switch him for Vixen since she sounds somewhat interesting.
>>
>>82210495
I had this talk but on /lit/

That was about writers, this hardly even counts, as in I can't even think of anyone who goes out of their way to find anything they "can identify with", except women searching for fiction books as pseudo therapy. People sort of just gravitate towards good media

I'd be legitimately offended but honestly more hurt and bitter if I had my work published and even praised just for not being white. It would be the cheapest success and I wouldn't even be able to argue against it
>>
>>82216558
She looks retarded. Not even an exaggeration, her face is "stylized" enough in some panels that she literally looks like she has some kind of chromosomal disorder.
>>
I just hate that they use previous brands into new characters. This shit is stupid.
>>
>>82212245
What really saddens me is that the writers and many other artists for every medium now actually justify that by believing their work is basically the teachers and parents for people, kids or not.

It's like they accept with no hesitation that today, kids or teens have no parents or role model or anyone to teach them, so they go into their work with that in their minds and create those replacements
>>
>all these deleted posts
Did someone hurt the janitors feelings?
>>
>>82216822
They're not even new characters though. Jane Foster and Falcon have been around since... when? The 70s? 60s?
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 360x553px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 360x553px
>>82216540
>>82216593
Her mini-series awhile back was just that if I remember right. Unfortunately it wasn't all that well done.
>>
>>82216645
well she did manage to get 12 issues but the numbers were low but they were never lower thank 10k
>>
1. With the exception of Robbie (and Kamala to an extent), all of these new diverse characters are pandering, and very lazy pandering at that.
We (people of color) don't want spinoff heroes or temporary changes to popular characters, it's lazy and obvious.
And most of the time these companies don't even bother to hire writers and artists of color, making the writing stunted and unrealistic.
Robbie works because there's always been a legacy thing going on with Ghost Rider.
Kamala works because she's not a spinoff character. "Ms. Marvel" is only her name because she's a huge fan, which is interesting, but it would've been better if she had a different name.
Marvel and DC probably have tons of interesting non-white characters (that aren't legacies) left behind in the shadows. Like Blade, what the fuck happened to Blade comics?
Explore/reinvent characters or if you need to create a new character introduce them in another comic first and don't have them be a legacy.

2. Comic books are too expensive. There's a lot of poor people of color, we're not gonna spend 3 dollars on 20 fucking pages, 3 of which are advertisements.
Comic companies need to take the Arizona Iced Tea approach. If it's cheaper you're gonna make a greater profit.

3. Comics are hard to find. You can't find comics anywhere (unless you're looking for Archie), except for comic book stores and Barnes & Nobles.
You're only going to search out digital comics if you're already a comic reader.
>>
>>82217023
>Robbie

I really don't get why people liked the All New Ghost Rider that much, just didn't click for me.
>>
File: cringe0157.jpg (103KB, 600x585px) Image search: [Google]
cringe0157.jpg
103KB, 600x585px
>>82214285
I think this hits the nail on the head.

It's not that comics CAN'T be a medium for politicizing and social commentary, it's just that the people trying to do that are fucking terrible at it.
>>
>>82217023
>With the exception of Robbie
Kek he was pandering to the core. He bastardized the Ghost Rider mythos with his stupid lowrider
>>
>>82216822
If they did make new characters no one would buy it
>>
>>82210049
>>82214730

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that you're referring to tracking difficulties for certain outlets, borrowing, and comics being expensive?

Unfortunately, the comics industry can only control one of those factors, namely the price. Borrowing really is entirely on the lender and borrower. Consumers choose their comic-buying venue.

So blame the readers.
>>
>>82216673
>That was about writers, this hardly even counts, as in I can't even think of anyone who goes out of their way to find anything they "can identify with", except women searching for fiction books as pseudo therapy.

Personally, I think lots of people like seeing someone similar to them in the fiction they consume, but most people aren't willing to consume something they're not interested in just because of that character.

Like, I like the idea of having Latino characters like me, and hope that they continue to exist, but I'm not going to buy stories I don't care about, and so I'm not going to be shocked if sales drop.
>>
File: 1401180369059.jpg (56KB, 218x381px) Image search: [Google]
1401180369059.jpg
56KB, 218x381px
>>82217122
>>
File: thri-kreen art.jpg (185KB, 750x1110px) Image search: [Google]
thri-kreen art.jpg
185KB, 750x1110px
>>82216673
>>That was about writers, this hardly even counts, as in I can't even think of anyone who goes out of their way to find anything they "can identify with"

Maybe not amongst people you know and maybe not consciously, but I do think there's a lot of normies out there who avoid things that have characters that aren't similar to them.

Which is fucking terrible, because it means I'll never be able to play an Elder Scrolls-like video game where I can make a tribal mantis-person warrior who devours the hearts of his enemies to gain their strength, since he's not a generic human.
>>
File: 1451197363238.jpg (269KB, 700x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1451197363238.jpg
269KB, 700x1065px
>>82215837
This pretty much sums it up
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 236x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 236x315px
>>82217154
>Personally, I think lots of people like seeing someone similar to them in the fiction they consume, but most people aren't willing to consume something they're not interested in just because of that character.
Basically. Creating a hit new character is already difficult enough and it's completely a lightning in a bottle sort of situation. You can't just say "make a good new character" because it's just not that easy. One of the surer ways to pull at least initial attention is to make a minority legacy character or tweak an existing character. Hell, as a brown femanon I'm fucking thrilled they're insisting on making sure Wondy's got more of an olive Mediterranean skin-tone and the live action depictions are turning casuals onto the fact that she canonnically has an accent. Those are just minor tweaks but really round her image.
>>
>>82216558
>Its the art on that book really that bad?

It's putrid. It looks fucking awful and not in an endearing or cute way so you can't excuse it as stylized

Third rate web comic level bad.
>>
>>82212245
Holy shit, well written and well said.
>>
>>82217446
>Hell, as a brown femanon I'm fucking thrilled they're insisting on making sure Wondy's got more of an olive Mediterranean skin-tone and the live action depictions are turning casuals onto the fact that she canonnically has an accent. Those are just minor tweaks but really round her image.
It's funny you mention Diana, because I actually find her interesting (I'm a sucker for fantasy comics, and Wonder Woman's one of the few still existing DC fantasy characters). Meanwhile, all the actual latino characters DC publishes, while nice, aren't really in anything I care about.

I like a Mediterranean character more than a latino character, and I just roll with it. I wish more people did this, on multiple sides of the "debate."
>>
File: heaven's on fire.jpg (2MB, 2560x1959px) Image search: [Google]
heaven's on fire.jpg
2MB, 2560x1959px
>>82217122
It's not even the car that bothers me.

The last Johnny Blaze stories before Alejandra shows up managed to tie together all the random shit about the origins of GR into something that was relatively easy to digest and also gave us some of the coolest GR scenes to ever hit the pages.

Then along comes Robbie (who isn't a bad character himself) and his 'Satanic Serial Killer' possession throwing a wrench right back into the continuity RIGHT AFTER it got pulled out.
>>
>>82212245
Entertainment is inherently political and comics books especially so.

You're just upset that you're now seeing politics that aren't the dominant ones you and have been surrounded with for decades appearing.
>>
>>82210107
Nope, they're gonna double down until it almost kills them.
It's the comics cycle.
>Stories start of being written to be just that, stories
>Then for no fucking reason other than a vocal minority they start pushing a certain aspect that the majority of comic readers don't enjoy (EDGEY GRIMDARKNESS for the 90's PC "What's between your legs and what color your skin is is more important than being well written" bullshit now
>Comics crash because the head hancos refuse to admit they were wrong and barely survive on a couple of good titles
>Some people come along and breath new life into comics, causing their popularity among the niche to grow healthy again because it's back to being about good writing setting the cycle back to it's start.
>>
>>82217534
Worst """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""art"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ever in comics.
>>
>>82210284
No, Diversity is a wooden Civil War battleship.
>>
>>82216558
No, it's an insult to the ancient Deep One city of Y'ha-nthlei.
>>
>>82210537
Infrastructure. The movie/tv/comic business has been built around the numbers they get from these antiquated systems; changing the old systems will change the business, putting those companies at risk. Accurately measuring and accomodating the needs of your consumers < easy money
>>
>>82209965
>Buying comics
Yes please take my 4 bucks for an ad filled pamphlet that I'll finish in 5 minutes.
Comics are a horrible fucking value and everyone knows it.
>>
>>82212245
I wonder who could possibly be behind this
>>
DEAD
E
A
D
>>
>>82216046
I hope they were like "He wrote Deadpool and did well, Deathstroke looks like Deadpool. Let's put him on that."
>>
File: firstiwaslike.jpg (103KB, 420x650px) Image search: [Google]
firstiwaslike.jpg
103KB, 420x650px
>>82209965
So, how do we go from this...
>>
>>82211278
Make it black and white edition for cheap and color edition for collect
>>
File: theniwaslike.jpg (132KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
theniwaslike.jpg
132KB, 600x555px
>>82218097
... to this?
>>
>>82214183
The creative team is Ghiru and the Dr McNinja dude. Which was my dream team for Squirrel Girl. I would expect quirky, lolrandom out the ass, but tightly executed, and less waypool kind of stupidity. They're not known for polticics eitheir.

But you should read it for your damm self.
>>
>>82217706
>Things only liberals believe.
I don't think Steamboat Willy was made with the intention of getting people to vote.
>>
File: logan is a weeb.jpg (150KB, 459x700px) Image search: [Google]
logan is a weeb.jpg
150KB, 459x700px
>>82213955
He's half right.
>>
File: 1449168396281.jpg (270KB, 860x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1449168396281.jpg
270KB, 860x1152px
>>82218222
Huh. I might just do that.
T. Hanks, guys,
>>82214226
>>82214234
>>82214313
>>82214340
>>
>>82218258
>the way things worked in the 1920's was ideal

Things conservatives believe.
>>
>>82216368
That's disgusting. You can't have a female character be openly heterosexual in this day and age! Think of the triggered!
>>
File: yotsuba-retarded.2006-02-222p40.gif (82KB, 781x1154px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba-retarded.2006-02-222p40.gif
82KB, 781x1154px
>>82218222
>the Dr McNinja dude
They should be pushing this more. That is an actual reason to be interested in the comic.
>>
File: babyasgard-short[1].jpg (123KB, 584x480px) Image search: [Google]
babyasgard-short[1].jpg
123KB, 584x480px
>>82218719
The concept sounds retarded as fuck to me, but the creative team is fucking amazing. Ghiru is perhaps the best at cute in the big two.
>>
File: tumblr_mkujfwx8uB1snz589o1_500.png (125KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkujfwx8uB1snz589o1_500.png
125KB, 500x286px
>>82218899
>The concept sounds retarded as fuck
That is a good sign.
>>
>>82218899
and it'll suck because a lot of people will attribute it to just being a Deadpool Knock-Off/Another Quirky Strong Women Book from Marvel. Like holy shit how many Quirky Strong Womyn does Marvel have? Spider Woman, Silk, Squirrel Girl (If you can call that a woman), Spider-Gwen, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel. Like holy shit, can you even call that experimentation when it's the same fucking premise except with a different skinned character?

Also, holy shit is that a Baby Beta Ray Bill? Man I'm really starting to regret not getting the Power Pack Trades.
>>
>>82217023
Okay I'm a black male and i have been reading comics for years so let me quickly debate you on this.

>>1. And most of the time these companies don't even bother to hire writers and artists of color, making the writing stunted and unrealistic.
there aren't a lot of artists and writers who are POC. Can't hire something that doesn't exist.

>>2. Comic books are too expensive. There's a lot of poor people of color, we're not gonna spend 3 dollars on 20 fucking pages, 3 of which are advertisements
And yet you guys will beg for a few bucks to buy cigs or weed. Learn to spend your money better.

>>3.Comics are hard to find. You can't find comics anywhere.
Really. You young folks can look up the newest Beyonce song on your fucking phones but you can't find the nearest comic book store on that overpriced piece of shit you bought. Top fucking LEL. Oh and have you forgotten? They still send comic books in the mail kiddo.
>>
>>82219130
>the same fucking premise except with a different skinned character

So you haven't read a single one of those books.
>>
File: 1428517409922.png (81KB, 199x272px) Image search: [Google]
1428517409922.png
81KB, 199x272px
>>82215879
That is what bothers me the most about "poc". Not all "POC" are going to or do have the same experience even though they are lumped together. An Asian American is going to have a different experience from an African American, and not just based solely on their ethnicity or "race". But the ass backwards people who push this term don't consider this at all and just want to group all non-whites together, in turn doing what was do years ago.
>>
I don't want to read comics where female thor fucks black captain america while Johnny Storm cucks Black Bolt right in front of his face. It's this kind of shit that had me dropping pretty much everything after Secret Wars, and it was that kind of shit that had me tapping out of the new 52 a year into that shit. And I was only buying a fraction of the books I was reading. If I don't find this shit enjoyable enough to spend the 1-2 hours a week it takes to find, download and read them, imagine how people who actually go out to the fucking store and buy the damn thing feel
>>
>>82215811
No, how the fuck would it be. Miles is a fictional character and is saying this from the persective of a young teenager. Obviously an adult writer would have different feelings about the issue of race. Why would that be hypocritical? It would be cheap if bendis used him as a vehicle to spout his agenda shit in universe. Think critically for more than 6 seconds
>>
>>82219599
dude its gotten to the point where the only thing i'm buying is sonic and Rachel Rising
>>
>>82219130
Power pack goes to asguard, and the asguardians all turn into babies.
>>
>>82219567
I like how "POC" usually means "urban blacks and white college women."

It's especially annoying when they expect me to be super invested in another generic black dude or blonde chick, as if I'm supposed to feel some magical solidarity with those people. Having white creators just forget I don't exist out of ignorance is far more preferable than being lumped in with groups I am most definitely not a part of and don't identify with, then having (usually white) commentators descend from their ivory towers and tell me that I'm supposed to be thankful for being given a black dude or white chick to represent "us."
>>
>>82219171
I don't see how you being black is super relevant but I'm brown and here is my rebuttal (also I'm a different person)

>Can't hire something that doesn't exist.
c'mon thats simply not true there are plenty of POC in the industry floating around. Just google it. And even if their weren't its not as though those people couldn't be commissioned. Especially for the writing part.

>And yet you guys will beg for a few bucks to buy cigs or weed. Learn to spend your money better.
Wat? This makes me think your trolling but even if you aren't then I'll simply say that 3 bucks is almost as cheap as a comic gets Most are 4-6 dollars and what you get for that price is a flimsy comic with about 10-15 minutes worth of reading material. That's not a value that appeals to most poorer people. Also Comics don't really go down in value and when they do they become incredibly scarce (physically at least)

>Really. You young folks can look up the newest Beyonce song on your fucking phones but you can't find the nearest comic book store on that overpriced piece of shit you bought. Top fucking LEL. Oh and have you forgotten? They still send comic books in the mail kiddo.

lol what is with you? You're comparing apples to oranges here m8. Yeah you can google shit on your phone but that doesn't make the comic appear in your hand? And if your talking about downloading a comic then I'd say reading comics on a phone screen is a shitty experience. As for finding a shop yeah I think you're right about that you can find comics.
>>
>>82212124
>Carol had to scrape up some other name

Nah, Marvel really wants to keep a lock on the "Captain Marvel" name, and Carol, for all her faults, is a pretty logical choice to hold on to it. The only better choice would be Rick Jones with powers, because he's the keystone of the Marvel Universe.
>>
>>82214497
Sure, but if handled well that wouldn't be all there is to Miles. It's important that a young black hero exists and is Spider-Man, but it shouldn't be fetishized as the girl in the comic (and as you'll often see on Tumblr) does.
>>
>>82216046
I don't like Deathstroke, but I love Priest and am glad to see he's not being pigeon-holed.
>>
>Complaining about "diversity" in Marvel comics
>90% of their comics take place in the most diverse city in the fucking US
>>
>>82219793
I definitely see what you mean. I was reading weird world and I saw that in issue one they kind of made a point of telling you the protagonist as Hispanic (my group) but they way the go out of their way to do it rings false to me. Like why go through the trouble to tell me her race if thats not important? If you're just pandering to me at least do it smart.
>>
>>82213134
Series restart twice a year nowadays.

Nothing is going to hit 100+ consecutively numbered issues for a long time.
>>
>>82210112

Ms Marvel IS SJW pandering, but it's still a good book, proving that something like that can happen.

Just because something is good doesn't mean it's NOT SJW pandering, and just because something is bad doesn't mean it is.
>>
>>82215507
Back then the stories were mostly about Professor X enforcing the Volstead Act on Magneto, who was an amoral bootlegger.
>>
>>82220447
I preferred the stories about Wolverine's flapper niece, X-23 Skidoo.
>>
>>82218097
>>82218167
A multidecade lawsuit, Neil Gaiman not giving a shit, and Angela being awkwardly bolted onto the Thor mythos like meat grinder on a Volkswagen dashboard.
>>
>>82214032
Yes, in the sense that you're not helping the industry the way Marvel/DC want you to

No, in the sense that the industry itself is broken and it's ridiculous to expect someone to spend 4 bucks on 20 pages of comic when many other forms of entretainment give you more for the same amount (or are free)

That said, diversity-pandring only works in the short run when you get a bunch of leftie sites wirtting articles about how progressive you're being.
Ironic that even a board like /a/ is far more progressive than the SJW community when 90% of what they read is about asian people
>>
>>82210727

Except that Kamala is not replacing Carol, both are different characters that have an admiration relation only.
Both filles roles that are totally different, their powers are different too, everything is different.
I would understand if you talk about Peter/Miles relation. But if you talk about Kamala/Carol is just bait.
>>
>>82221567
But by your own logic, Miles isn't replacing Pete either.

Almost none of the characters racists and women haters endlessly cry about replacing white male characters actually replace them, they just taking a mantle while the original character is still around doing their thing.
>>
>>82221849
>No one owns http://cu.ck/
You are remiss.
Thread posts: 538
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.