[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hickman's Avengers: Was it good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1381513840.jpg (2MB, 1493x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1381513840.jpg
2MB, 1493x1135px
Now that we have a good idea of the post Secret Wars status quo, how do you view Hickman's Avengers run? Was it too dark? Too complex? Did it ultimately lose any narrative weight because obviously the universe is going to get rebooted?
>>
Secret Wars, Infinity and New Avengers was great. Avengers itself was mostly pointless and bland.
>>
>>81669516
It was a means to an end. His FF run was great. Secret Wars and Infinity were good.
>>
>>81669516
It was good but I always felt like it wasn't very ambitious. At the end of the day, nothing was gained or lost.
>>
>>81669516
>hickman
>good

what the fuck do you think?
>>
>>81669516
It started off okay, but I really don't care for the whole 'complex saga carried over two books' concept. I think there's a place to be cerebral and experimental in comics, and it ain't in the main Avengers book. Especially when you've got a rabid potential fanbase in the form of youngsters who just saw the Avengers movie.

Not to mention New Avengers didn't even feature the Avengers. It was a means to an end, like >>81669689 said, but it was a sort of shitty means for Marvel to pull for the sake of whatever Secret Wars was supposed to accomplish.
>>
>>81669516
Avengers were lame. New Avengers were better.
>>
>>81669516
it was bad because none of it fucking mattered.
>>
>>81670261
>continuity fags

Scum
>>
>>81669516
I liked it. It had plenty of flaws and didn't quite execute on what it was trying to be, which even Hickman will admit. But in the end, it was my favorite Avengers run since Johns' and better than any of the current ones. Hickman new how to really build hype.
>>
>>81669834
So... yes?
>>
Which do you guys prefer - the more obscure Avengers line-ups who act as more of a family or the all-star teams working for SHIELD/some other faceless entity?
>>
>>81670417
>implying that anon is talking about continuity
>>
File: 51.jpg (1MB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
51.jpg
1MB, 1200x1845px
Some good came from it.
>>
File: Bravo Hickman.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
Bravo Hickman.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
Of course it wasn't good. It was never gonna be good. All of his runs end up the same way. Solid world building, slow build up to something "bigger", unsatisfying ending.

Whether it's the war of 4 Cities in where 1 city gets removed from the equation from jump street, Captain Universe arbitrarily deciding to save the day at the end of Infinity or the non-ending of secret warriors, you can rest assured that Hickman's stories will always peter out.
>>
It was absolute trash. Endless anti-climax after anti-climax, promising that "no really it'll all pay off!! Just keep buying, you'll see!" When it really, really didn't
>>
>>81669516
No
>>
>>81670417
I'm not talking about continuity, I'm talking about a bloated lineup so full we didn't get any development for almost anyone, and a plot that just killed time with meaningless drivel until it was time to wank doom
>>
File: 586.jpg (465KB, 1440x2216px) Image search: [Google]
586.jpg
465KB, 1440x2216px
>>81670721
how could you not like ff#23? that was a fire ending
>>
>>81670463
If you're that retarded, then sure, Hickman's Avengers is perfect for you
>>
>>81669689
Secret Wars was not good. Nothing fucking happened. Almost nothing that promised to be plot relevant was.
>>
Hickman is filler bullshit
>>
>>81669516
To me it was the best Avengers run in a while and I doubt we're going to get another one as good any time soon. I know it's not what everyone thinks, but I had fun reading Avengers, New Avengers, and even A-World.
>>
>>81675027
Shitman pls
>>
So Avengers World. It was made to be a more one off focused spin off of his two books.

Is it worth reading as part of the core Hickman run? As it does it explain things and feel like part of the overall story? Or does it feel grafted on top of everything else?

In that same vein, do any of the Secret Wars tie ins serve any actual story purpose, or are they all just weird short What Ifs?
>>
>>81675391
You know the answer anon.

You know.
>>
>>81676505

No I really honestly don't. I was really out of the loop for most of Hickman's run, knowing he was just telling one big story that was probably kind of tedious issue by issue. I wanted to wait until it was complete before diving in. And now's that time.

I don't know if A-World or the Secret Wars tie ins are really part of it or what have you.
>>
>>81678147
AW is pointless it exains almost nothinf and the tie ins, while in general better than the main book dont really help out the non existent main story
>>
I liked it just because I enjoy the long, epic superhero storytelling style. But it is deeply flawed because everything was leading into Secret Wars which turned out to be a pile of shit. The journey was fun, even if very bumpy. I don't think I could ever actually recommend his Avengers/New Avengers run though because of how flawed it is and the shitty ending.

If he wasn't hamstrung by having to lead into Secret Wars and it had a proper ending I think it would have been much, much better; like his FF run. That being said his Secret Warriors is probably his most solid Marvel work. Everything in that run felt tight and well constructed and had a good ending.
>>
hickman avengers was based as fuck

haters gonna hate. new avengers is better than regular but only because the concept of the illuminati is one of the best things marvel has done. but his entire mini-universe at marvel; warriors, F4, avengers, and when shield finally is released are some of the best single-author runs in years
>>
File: 1436595525887.jpg (366KB, 655x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1436595525887.jpg
366KB, 655x1010px
I left some months after Fear Itself, I believe the last comic I read in continuity of Marvel was the one where Hulk ask Doom to remove Baner from him.

I read some random comics but never get into continuity until the Secret Wars event, so I start with the "ANAD" thing.
I think I miss AoU, Infinity and Axis.
I dont know if I miss other "event"
So... somebody that is a continuity fag, help me.
What I must read from that time lapse?
I used to read all the avengers books, thunderbolts, anything with wolverine in the cover and some x-shit.
>>
>>81679842
Google "Marvel Events" to see what you missed, but honestly I couldn't recommend anything aside from Secret Wars and Original Sin because everything else is terrible. You are much better off reading Wikipedia if you want to catch up for continuity
>>
>>81678147
Avenger's World takes about 5 minutes to read an issue; definitely not worth buying, but you can read the entire series in an hour and a half. It's light-hearted fun that adds more mythos to the Marvel universe, but doesn't particularly add anything to Hickman's runs.

I hated Hickman as I read him monthly, I admired him as I marathoned through a few months ago. I hope Marvel never takes a risk like that again, because I just want my fun monthly comics, but it was cool in hindsight.
>>
i dropped marvel after hickman and rememder left
>>
>>81679842

the only stand alone event youve missed that was fun was AXIS, Original Sin was shit (and I have the main series, big mistake), all the bullshit leading up to Secret Wars was bloated nonsense that resulted in nothing at the end of it all... Marvel is not only the most expensive book on the shelves right now, both in floppy and tpb and yet all they seem to do is churn out shit.

I'd blame the mouse but this whole trend started years ago, at least they still have the occasional title thats legitimately interesting like the new Vision series, people seem to love Ms.Marvel , theres a handful of other books that are decent...but the rest is shit.

You'd be best off just picking up the new Avengers Standoff event that seems to be going over well and just catch up with the rest on wikipedia
>>
>>81680089
I read a lot of people shiting in Original Sin, to be honest I don't even understand the premise.
And whats the deal with the whole unworthy thing and Marvel killing Fury in favor of Samuel L jackson.

>>81680649
I see a hardcover Axis but the price dont look so good.
You are right Vision and Ms Marvel are based as fuck. I feel like they are the same thing(a quality book) but each in a pole, one being fun as fuck and the other being intense as fuck.
Also im reading Thunderbolts the event, all the avengers(except for ultimates that i feel boring and lacking a charisma as fuck).

My problem is that I see al this guys >>81669516 and I say "literally who"
>>
Looking at it afterward, it was complete waste of time that probably was cut up heavily\changed by marvel. I still really like the two arcs before time runs out, perfect hype on both sides.
>>
>>81683145
>Looking at it afterward, it was complete waste of time that probably was cut up heavily\changed by marvel.
The build-up to Secret Wars was rushed because Marvel decided to kill their Ultimate line and write out the Fantastic Four at Ike's insistence.

>>81680367
Do you read Avengers World's Before Time Runs Out arc (contains prelude to New AIMvengers).
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.