[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was his stuff so successful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: stan-lee.jpg (898KB, 1500x948px) Image search: [Google]
stan-lee.jpg
898KB, 1500x948px
Why was his stuff so successful?
>>
>>81657103
He was a talented writer who worked with talented artists
>>
File: stan van.jpg (925KB, 1280x1879px) Image search: [Google]
stan van.jpg
925KB, 1280x1879px
>>81657103
I'm convinced he did jack shit as a creative and only got rich off Kirby and Ditko's ideas. Sure, he was a very good administrator and knew how to chase money, but his talent is incredibly overrated and deep down he knows it and probably never saw comics as more than just a job. Fuck's sake, even in his movie cameos you can almost feel how he's cringing internally.
>>
Are we gonna ignore the fact he's literally old enough to have fought in WWII?
>>
File: spider-man-shrugs.jpg (111KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
spider-man-shrugs.jpg
111KB, 640x481px
>>81657415
If you think that Ditko was the reason Spider-Man was successful then where the hell are the multi-million dollar Mr. A movies?

I know people like a conspiracy theory, and Stan was definitely a shameless self promoter and glory hog, but he's not Bob Kane.
>>
>>81657119
Stan Lee is not talented. Jack Kirby was.
>>
>>81657561
>Its this guy again
>>
>>81657103
>his
Casual pls
>>
>>81657585
>falling for the "Stan Lee didn't actually do anything. It was all [hack]'s work" meme.
>>
>>81657581
>>81657545
>>81657598
>it's The Sheeple again

>>81657423
But he didn't, he was a coward.
>>
>>81657608
>calls others sheeple
>believes a meme
>>
>>81657598
>Kirby
>hack
How much does Stan pay you for posting this kind of things?
>>
>>81657103
Wasn't it because he did so many different comics, some of them are bound to be successful?
>>
>>81657103
>>81657662
Hey, no samefagging.
>>
>>81657545
Literally every single one of his successful creations are "co-creations", and he himself admits to have a very bad memory so he "doesn't remember who created what exactly". No, there would not be a successful Marvel Comics without him because he had real world and people skills, something Kirby and others admittedly lacked and would have kept them in obscurity without Lee's help, but his creative input was very limited compared to his co-workers. Just take a look at his more recent creations, The Traveler and some other comic no one cared about despite it being penned by the man who is essentially the pope of the comics world.
>>
>>81657608
>irony
>>
>>81657698
Stan is the face of Marvel. Kirby was the brains.
>>
>>81657608
what's being a coward got to do with being a good comics guy

i mean if we're using that metric that just leaves kirby and steranko
>>
>>81657723
>The Sheeple hates steranko too
You're not helping Stan's case, son.
>>
>>81657608
Yea, it's cowardly to not want to get involved in a war that's at this point killed millions at a rate never seen before and one the United States had no real business being in.
>>
>>81657712
Exactly my point. I don't want every movie or comic to have a giant JACK KIRBY'S before the title, but although he's nowhere near Bob Kane's level of douchbaggery, I think it's pretty shitty how he went on to become what he is today without even trying to set things right for the people that helped him.
>>
>>81657712
And Ditko was the talent.
>>
>>81657698
>Kirby and others admittedly lacked and would have kept them in obscurity without Lee's help
Or, they would be working for DC again.
>>
File: heykids.jpg (109KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
heykids.jpg
109KB, 700x525px
>>81657698
I don't think anyone is arguing that Stan is one of comics greatest creators

I mean he's made great contributions to comics with his co-authors (and let's be honest, a lot of those creations are only a big deal because of how fucked up American comics became and remain) but the books he mostly aren't the kind that stand the test of time the way some old stuff does
>>
>>81657803
>a lot of those creations are only a big deal because of how fucked up American comics became and remain
Not that guy but you piqued my interest. Go on.
>>
File: thingyancy.jpg (37KB, 283x400px) Image search: [Google]
thingyancy.jpg
37KB, 283x400px
>>81657736
How is thinking Kirby and Steranko are not cowards the same thing as hating them? You're either projecting or trolling poorly!
>>
>>81657698
Traveller was pretty good...
>>
>>81657762
ah yes the same talent that brought us such amazing characters as Dove, the comically incompetent pacifist that existed as a straw man for how stupid not loving violence is
>>
>>81657712
"The future is two mutants beating the hell out of each other"-Jack Kirby.
>>
>>81657103
He was a Jew
>>
>>81657608
>But he didn't, he wasn't a dumbass
>>
He was successful the moment he stopped worrying about what other people were thinking
and just wrote the kind of comics he wanted.

Now people pout and whine about Jack Kirby and all that, and there's no doubt that they would have continued to make good comics without him, but MARVEL only exists because of Stan Lee's innovation, and what makes it easy to overlook his work is that it was based a pretty simple idea of making the characters more human.
>>
>>81657103

Because he was a shameless self promoter instead of a shut in dweeb like Kirby or Ditko
>>
>>81658266
>only dumbasses fight Nazis
Hey Donald.
>>
>>81658267
>wrote
lol
>MARVEL only exists because of Stan Lee's innovation
Marvel already existed, under other name. Read Sean Howe's book.
>>
>>81657103
Right place, right time, crafty SOB.
>>
>>81657103
What the fuck is with his hairline.
>>
>>81657103
The guy always knew what people like, even if he wasn't able to create it on his own.
Also aliterative character names.
>>
>>81657415
>probably never saw comics as more than just a job
They're not even his job anymore and he's still invested in them. I understand he likes money, but he probably has enough dough already to just sit on his movie producer revenue. Still he speaks of comics all the time and even still helps produce newer talents through his youtube channel https://youtu.be/QjS6e9_F7B0?list=PLcDsLjOhzYoZzz9rYkeQqQGfD5l9mzWbH
>>
>>81657608
>literally only repeats "Stan Lee is a hack" because old grumpy Kirby said it
>calls others "sheeple"
>>
>>81657750
>without even trying to set things right for the people that helped him.
He always credits co-creators and has done so for decades, I fucking hate this meme, the only reason it exists is because Kirby claimed to be sole creator of some of these characters, and Kirby was an old vindictive crumudgeon by the point he made those claims.
>>
>>81659520
>that moment of silence when he learned Bobby is gay
Chilling.
>>
>>81657103
Because he signed his name on much better comic books
>>
File: zXklpz2.jpg (259KB, 780x3029px) Image search: [Google]
zXklpz2.jpg
259KB, 780x3029px
>>81657744
What?
>>
>>81657103
The guy knew how to make a good comic and tell a good story to boot.

>>81657561
which is why nobody knows kirby outside of your memes
>>
>>81657103

The fact is that whether he was a good writer or not, Stan Lee sold Marvel's (and his own) image to the public flawlessly. What he wrote at the start of each comic engrossed you to read a fantastic and epic story in a few pages, even if it ended up being mediocre, Lee just sold you in just one page to buy the whole comic and he made sure you knew he wrote it.
Even after he left Marvel the comics read Stan Lee presents:
>>
>>81657698
Stan Lees run on Avengers with Don Heck was really good. Are you going to try and tell me Don Heck did all the work in those issues too?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.