[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /co/'s opinion on the Spider-Girl series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: 982732-ssg1a.jpg (63KB, 421x640px) Image search: [Google]
982732-ssg1a.jpg
63KB, 421x640px
What is /co/'s opinion on the Spider-Girl series?
>>
GOAT

its a better teen superhero book than every single other one that marvel shit out

and mayday is the best waifu
>>
I read this in like 5th grade, it was okay. I found it kinda dumb that she happened to be friends with Peter's friend's sons and daughters.
>>
>>81629185
It was fun but it got worse as it went on and with each new title
>>
Much like Ultimate Spider-Man, she was the only redeemable thing to exist in her universe.
>>
I read it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Her interactions with Phil and Kaine were great. I'll never forgive Slott for killing off Peter and almost completely ruining Mayday.
>>
>>81629466
American Dream and Stringer were fine, too
>>
File: Mayday 2.jpg (73KB, 988x299px) Image search: [Google]
Mayday 2.jpg
73KB, 988x299px
Amazing

best Spider female deserves more respect.

It did a wonderful job of recapturing the early Spidey feeling and magic while being modern.
>>
>>81629185
Great book, totally captured the spidey feel. She's a fantastic legacy character, and it's so rare to see what amounts to an elseworlds get an ongoing that's THAT long.
>>
File: 1459456160572.gif (623KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1459456160572.gif
623KB, 245x200px
>Be me
>Be first generation superhero
>Have to do a shit ton of work to work out my name, costume and general apearence in the public becuase I will be juged acordingly
>Lots of trial by error
>Finally after all the work it starts paying off
>Next generation incoming
>Not only do they steal my power but even my costume and name
>Mfw
>>
>>81631052
But she's his daughter. He trained her
>>
I wanna fuck Mayday.
>>
File: awesome.jpg (177KB, 554x424px) Image search: [Google]
awesome.jpg
177KB, 554x424px
>>81631052

more like

>Be me
>Be first generation hero
>have to a work
>lots of trial and error
>finally settle down with the love of my life and have a beautiful baby girl
>She grows up inheriting my powers
>Turns she was listening to me along
>developed a sense of justice and responsibility without having to make the same mistakes I did because of how I raised her.
>get worried about her safety and understand what Ive put my wife through for years
>But deep down. I couldn't be more proud
>>
>>81631200
It was more about the general direction of just putting someone new in the suit or getting someone with the same powers and suddenly you have 20 spiderpeople
>>
>>81631274

that's well and good but doesn't really fly in this instance
>>
>>81631339
I JUST NEED THIS VENT, OK
>>
>>81631481

well vent somewhere else. Like the Flash thread.
>>
>>81629401
Who Davida? Courtney? Moose? Jimmy? None of them were any of Peter's kids.

Jack Jameson? John wasn't Peter's friend and he and May aren't exactly tight anymore.

Normie got into her life because he wanted to kill Spider-Man and all the Goblon shit and later he reformed but she didn’t become his friend because he was Harry's kid.

Felicity Thompson kind of butted in her life, I'll give you Gene tho.

All of the other superhero kids made sense since they were continuing their parents' legacy and aside from Cassie Lang (and Scott wasn't necessarily friends with Peter) she's not really buddy buddy with the rest of the characters.

Hell she hangs with mistly random High school kids and it the tights it's mostly Darkdevil and Kaine being all protective or giving her tough love because they're family.
>>
>>81631236
This if anything Spider-Girl was Peter Parker's Happy Ending until Dan Slotted himself all over it.
>>
>>81631200
Not just that he even got a but butthurt because she preffered Ben Reilly's suit more than his.
>>
>>81629466
Be fair, we got the greatest Punisher moment of all time out of Punisher 2099.

Four panels, but four great panels.
>>
>>81631052
That's a common joke between Spider-Man and Spider-Woman she just stole his brand without asking
>>
>>81636133

Wrong universe desu.
>>
>>81629185
antiquated, but still better than any spider book Marvel has published in modern days.
>>
File: i like this.png (174KB, 1138x686px) Image search: [Google]
i like this.png
174KB, 1138x686px
Never read it, but I'm a fan.
>>
File: 9f0wleG1s0e9zjo2_500.png (460KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
9f0wleG1s0e9zjo2_500.png
460KB, 500x468px
Personally I loved it, these two being my favorite characters other than May
>>
>>81629466
J2 was great you fucking idiot.
>>
>>81629185
This is what Silk and Spider Gwen should be, but face plant because they are shit and their fan base are retards.
>>
>>81637760
Silk needs an actual supporting cast beyond Mockingbird and Black Cat.

JJJ just isn't enough.
>>
>>81638244

Well, there's her other co-workers, the dragon armor guy, and her brother...

That's a start, I guess.
>>
>>81637760
Whats even the consensus on Spider-Gwen... like should i give a fuck or what? And is the art good or even the story well planned out?
>>
>>81636413
Darkdevil is such a drastically over complicated origin, but I can't hate a character that is Ben Reilly's son with teleporting Ghost Rider powers and a Daredevil costume,
>>
>>81644325

She's my waifu, but the art is shit, there's better fan art. Apparently her artist is quitting the industry so just wait a bit to start reading it. she's going to be in the 616 universe for good soon so her back story won't really matter.
>>
>>81645385
>she's going to be in the 616 universe for good soon

This sounds like it'll work about as well as that time Nocturne got moved from Exiles into Excalibur.
>>
>>81645655
Parker better get with her and they better go steady only for her to get murdered again.
>>
>>81640377
She needs more than the safest gays ever. Seriously those are the most vanilla fuckers in comics. Make them have shitty break-ups with them on and again on again dating that turn into them developing a fetish for sex in the office and then sex in public places.

Or they like table top games or making booze.

The sex thing is there mainly because lesbian sex is boring and I'd like a writter to commit and not make the required LGBT characters basically Christians who only have sex to procreate.

Sorry for the austim anons.
>>
File: DeathofBenDarkdevil.png (998KB, 1080x657px) Image search: [Google]
DeathofBenDarkdevil.png
998KB, 1080x657px
>>81645240
Yeah hisborigin is just WTF but the character is cool and also endearing in a way, he cares about May

And yeah he's Ben's kid and it always botheref me that Peter never found out (although going by that Secret Wars Spider-Island backup with Spider-Girl it looks like May did because she calls him "coz" as in cousin).
>>
>>81629898
this

also seeing peter finally grown up wasn't something I thought I wanted until I read this

seeing him as a badass professor with rockin goatee was great

so sick of them constantly reverting him to high school age or still going to college and living at home at age 34
>>
One of my favorite comics growing up; one day, when I have the spare cash, I plan to grab the entire collection, as I don't think it ever became over-long.

It was putting newborn May on the bus that initially turned me off Spiderman. One More Day? Fuck you Marvel, now toddler Mayday will never find her way back to her parents, as she doesn't even exist in the main setting.
>>
>>81649105
Peter Parker as a cyborg forensic scientist is a great was to carry forward the "great power, great responsibility" mantra in a Peter Parker that couldn't Spider-Man anymore.
>>
>>81649530
>may gets kidnapped or incapacitated or whatever
>peter goes out and wrecks ass one more time
>his japes are all eloquent and professorial now
>>
File: tumblr_ms7x1x6aBi1rl6qybo6_540.jpg (54KB, 431x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ms7x1x6aBi1rl6qybo6_540.jpg
54KB, 431x810px
>>81648997
Also his mom was a cutey
>>
File: spider-girl 43.jpg (146KB, 400x470px) Image search: [Google]
spider-girl 43.jpg
146KB, 400x470px
>>81636066

In fairness, when she did wear Pete's suit it looked bad and Ben had rocking style.
>>
>>81629185
Pretty fucking awesome.
Awesome in a way that comics never are anymore.
>>
>>81638244
Hey, at least they're trying to keep make Black Cat a character besides her recent "evil gang leader" .
>>
File: tumblr_ms7x1x6aBi1rl6qybo4_540.jpg (41KB, 540x497px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ms7x1x6aBi1rl6qybo4_540.jpg
41KB, 540x497px
>>81649765
I forgot why she has to go to jail but it has to do with her being the daughter of the guy who shot Uncle Ben or some hookey drama.
>>
>>81649345
They have most of the original run in digest collections.
>>
File: reillytyne2_zpscd926574-1.jpg (274KB, 604x461px) Image search: [Google]
reillytyne2_zpscd926574-1.jpg
274KB, 604x461px
>>81650067
Anyway with her in jail and Ben later dead after Darkdevil aka Reilly Tyne is born he ends up having a crappy childhood, at some point he succumbs to clone degeneration (thanks to being Ben's son) and Kaine tries to help him but he summons Zarathos and then Matt gets involved, then Matt dies and his spirit now fights inside Darkdevil against Zarathos for Darkdevil's son.
>>
File: reillytyne.jpg (49KB, 563x562px) Image search: [Google]
reillytyne.jpg
49KB, 563x562px
>>81650272
Amd yeah this is what Darkdevil looks like when he's not all demonic looking, the Parkers don't know he's Darkdevil or Ben's son.
>>
>>81644325
Good idea, not so good execution. I like her costume and universe, but I think the writing is unremarkable and the art is ugly. Maybe the art will get better when Rodriguez leaves, but unless the writing improves along with it, it won't be enough to make me recommend the series to anyone.
>>
>>81645385
>she's going to be in the 616 universe for good soon

Where'd you read this? It's a terrible decision if it's legit.
>>
>>81649345
>>81650170
I wish they'd done a full trade collection of the original series.
>>
>>81655920
one day I'm going to collect the entire series and all MC2 spin-offs and bind them together professionally
it'll be so glorious
Mayday is the reason I got into comics
>tfw some based librarian got me my first comic subscription because she saw me getting picked on once
>>
No Love for Lady Spider?
>>
>>81657090
She's cool, but she hasn't been around for long and hasn't appeared in many stories, so she's not exactly high on my list of favourite Spiders.
>>
>>81629185
The art as not the best. Also, I didn't enjoy the fact that it took Peter losing a leg to stop being Spider-Man. Worse still he rejected growing a brand new one because he didn't feel he deserved it after killing Norman. Dam Parkers.

Aside from that I wasn't ever a fan of a Spider-Person that wasn't Peter or Kaine, so I didn't care for it. As a child, not only did I think "This is a girl... I want to read Spider-Man! Not a book about his girlfriend that I see in coloring books" (I know, I know), but I also saw her as a replacement, an usurper, and I just wanted my hero, not someone Else's.

I've been dipping into the clone saga recently and befoe I felt the same about Ben. But holy shit is he a lot more likeable than Peter in there. Even past the "oh noes I lost my powers AGAIN", he's like Peter without the baggage and he's the optimistic, unbowed get up and swing when you fall own Spidey that Peter deserves to be instead of the unbreakable get up and make a cynical joke when he falls Spidey that I love. Fucked up that they purposefully wrote Peter as an asshole to make getting rid of him easier, I can see why people choose to ignore it.

Still don't like the blonde hair. Take a fox and call it a dog. This ain't my dog.
>>
File: c004p_silk_page104.jpg (260KB, 791x1200px) Image search: [Google]
c004p_silk_page104.jpg
260KB, 791x1200px
>>81640377

And that mysterious intangible dude who keeps showing up at random to help her out.
>>
>>81629185
It was pretty good. This is basically how you should write both legacy character and a female character.

Like, seriously, Peter used to have problems with girls all the time, it makes sense that May has problems with boys, but it doesn't make book girly, it's a perfect equal to Peter's romantic life.
>>
>>81645385
I would shit on the art more if the artist's eyes weren't apparently fucked up. It's so bad he's incapable of drawing analogue anymore and even digitally he still has to wear glasses.

Why Marvel would hire someone with such a severe impairment is beyond me.
>>
>>81658795
I thought Peter rejected the new leg because it would make giving up being Spidey harder.
>>
At one point it got way too crowded.
Also, Goblin God arc was one of the most retarded things I've seen in American cape comics.
>>
I love She-Spider! But it was also my first comic ever, so my opinion has probably been sweetened by nostalgia.
>>
>>81660600
His no kill complex is wishy washy. In JMS's run, he readily put down a monster that as killing mobsters and going after a mob boss and his daughter, but he won't kill predators like dinosaurs. By contrast, in Carnage USA he was ready to kill Carnage in the beginning, but when it came time for the man to kill Carnage for what he'd done to his family and children, Spidey stopped him - even when he found out that one of the guy's kids, the youngest, died. He's been willing to kill for less and that wouldn't stop him, but I think using the guilt over Norman's death was a plot device to keep him in the supporting cast.

It wouldn't normally be a bad decision, to keep him in the supporting cast via a less retarded reason that is, but I prefer Spider-Man and would rather read him, so I disagree with it.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.