[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC animated films

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: animated.jpg (194KB, 634x584px) Image search: [Google]
animated.jpg
194KB, 634x584px
Which to watch (or avoid)?
Is there an order to watch these?
>>
Honestly, there's not many you can go wrong with. DC is formidable in the animated movie arena. Just go to town.
>>
>>81560859
>Is there an order to watch these?
Not really. Most are based on comic arcs and are standalone. I guess just the ones that tie into the DCAU/Timmverse.
>>
>>81560859

Avoid Flashpoint like the plague. God-awful character designs, terrible voice-acting and its drowning in edge.
>>
Don't forget the Spectre and Jonah Hex shorts
>>
>>81560859
Short answer? No.

Long?
Well I'd only really avoid anything you might take issue with the overall message or internal logic of. Superman vs The Elite and a lot of Loeb's adapted stuff such as Public Enemies might raise an eyebrow here and there if you think too much about things.

Now as for order, for DCAU properties there is an chronology, but it all comes down to whether you've actually watched or care about the DCAU to begin with.
Mask of the Phantasm technically comes before Return of the Joker for example, but if you're just going to watch one or other or both without any concern for the animated series their concepts stem from, well it really doesn't matter what order you watch them does it?

I would personally suggest sorting it in terms of character arc direction though. Purely as an opinion for perspective. The Dark Knight Returns for example deals with an older Bruce much like Batman Beyond, so it would be better to see Year One, Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red hood and whatever else where he's younger before those so you can imagine a sense of what sort of bullshit he's possibly dealt with that leads to him tiring out. It's not necessary, the character is NOT the same throughout the movies, some of these are adaptations of comics or one-shots disconnected from all other things but hey it helps to understand a character in a varied way to see where they could come from even in a separate telling.

Speaking of which I'm surprised Conflict on Two Earths isn't on that list. It was meant to be a DCAU JL movie before things got in the way. Its really good in its own right though.
>>
>>81562929
Ignore this. Flashpoint is probably the second most popular, and if you're skipping based on "edge" then you'll avoid Under the Red Hood, generally regarded as the best, period Speaking of which, add Gods and Monsters to your watch list, along with Crisis On Two Earths, and the DCAU shows (BTAS, STAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited).
>>
>>81563024
>Speaking of which I'm surprised Conflict on Two Earths isn't on that list
This guy knows whats up. Also your recommendation for watching the movie with some semblance of chronology is for the best.

For Superman, watch Superman Doomsday, then follow that up with Public Enemies, Superman Unbound, then Superman vs. The Elite. Watch All Star last because its the most "elseworldly" out of the bunch.
>>
Avoid every single movie after and including batman and son. DCAU is shit now and a dumb excuse for damianwanking and shit writing
>>
>>81563222
They're doing Killing Joke next though.
>>
>>81563106

>it's good because it's popular
>doesn't address any of the points

Nice argument you got there.
>>
>>81560859
>Is there an order to watch these?
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies leads into Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

Justice League: War led into Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis and I'm fairly certain that Justice League: Doom ties in there somewhere as well.
>>
>>81560859
Under the Red Hood, DKR, Return of the Joker are all good. Mask of the Phantasm is usually considered to be one of the best, but I thought it was pretty boring.
>>
>>81563106
Not >>81562929, but I didn't like Flashpoint and Crisis on Two Earths.
>>
>>81566459
>didn't like Flashpoint and Crisis on Two Earths.
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE AGAINST CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS YOU HEATHEN?!!?!
>>
>>81563873
Doom is an unofficial continuation of the same league from crisis on two earths
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.