[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the chronological order for Superman comics? I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_m38keeGVKQ1r9cnoio1_1280.jpg (436KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m38keeGVKQ1r9cnoio1_1280.jpg
436KB, 1024x768px
What is the chronological order for Superman comics? I really want to get into Superman now but I don't know how to go from the beginning to end and before anyone ask, yeah it is important to me to read from the very first moments of his life until the reboot in the proper order. So how do I do that /co/?
>>
There is no chronological order retard, except in a specific series. There are tons of different origin comics for him all slightly different. If you want chronological order go read manga.
>>
>>81465755
Just start with New 52
Everything before was essentially erased

Only like, Batman and Flash kept their pre-52 stories
>>
>>81465976
>Just start with New 52
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahahahha
>>
>>81465755
>What is the chronological order for Superman comics?
>chronological order
>cape comics
>>
>>81465976
>Just start with New 52
I started with that and it's not good.

Morrisons run doesn't really give you a feel for Supes and then it gets into crossover hell.

>Flash kept their pre-52 stories
Flash did not keep his history after Flashpoint. That is the biggest problem with the character.
>>
Read

Superman For All Seasons
Superman Birthright
Adventures of Superman (by Waid)
All Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Up up and away
Luthor
Red Son (maybe)

In no real order. Just consume everything.
>>
Obviously not all of them, bu there has to be a way to put a bunch of stories together starting with something like Secret Origin and ending with something like All Star Superman to make a coherent story. He just doesn't have enough stand out stories that let me come up with it of the top of my head. If you want Batman that's easy, just combine Morrison's run with Miller's stuff and add in a few more choice stories like Killing Joke and The Man Who Laughs, then you got yourself an epic.
>>
Don't read DC (or Marvel) if you want a clear, straightforward narrative from beginning to end. Don't look to them if you want a workable chronological order where everything counts and everything has its place.

That is not what they offer. That is not their business model, so that is not what they even try to offer.

Read some other comics instead.

>>81466453
If you want to read something good, then come to us and ask us what is something good to read.

Don't just assume that good things will automatically come to you no matter what you read.
>>
>>81465755
There's pretty much no beginning-to-end chronological order with DC. They do a hard reboot every few decades or so, with soft reboots in between. If you like, I'll list all the hard reboots and you can choose for yourself where to start.

>The Superman who was introduced in 1938 was retconned into existing in the alternate universe of "Earth-2" in 1961's "Flash of Two Worlds". The Superman that was being concurrently published with that story inhabited "Earth-1" (the Silver Age DC universe that was introduced in 1956's "Showcase" #4 alongside the Barry Allen incarnation of the Flash, but only identified as "Earth-1" in "Flash of Two Worlds").
>1986's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" destroyed the DC multiverse, and the last remaining universe, "New Earth", served as the basis for John Byrne's "The Man of Steel" reboot of the Superman mythos.
>Finally, 2011's "Flashpoint" remade the DC multiverse (which was restored on a much smaller scale in the year-long weekly title, "52", running from 2006 to 2007) in a completely different form than before.

While there are soft reboots in between (such as Superboy-Prime's infamous retcon-punch in Infinite Crisis, 52 revealing that the multiverse had been partially recreated, or Convergence completely recreating the multiverse as it was before CoIE and including the post-Crisis and post-Flashpoint additions), you're probably best off starting from one of the hard reboots (or from where it all began in 1938 if you can track down all the material and you have a LOT of time on your hands).
>>
File: Mos1[1].jpg (81KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mos1[1].jpg
81KB, 400x600px
>>81465755
>I don't know how to go from the beginning to end and before anyone ask, yeah it is important to me to read from the very first moments of his life until the reboot in the proper order. So how do I do that /co/?

Read these. There are eight volumes with a ninth on the way. They collect all of Superman's post-crisis comics in chronological order, starting with his 1984 reboot.

While you're at it, squeeze in Superman For All Seasons, because it slots into Man of Steel perfectly and it's a damn swell read.
>>
>>81465755

There's no chronology or "canon" in comics. Just pick a series and dig in

Start with this guy's list
>>81466526
>>
>>81465755
Stick to Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek's runs from the mid 2000s if you want the longest-running quality Superman story era. It's all in trades and torrents.

-Up, Up, and Away
-Secret Origin
-Last Son
-Camelot Falls
-Escape From Bizarro World
-Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
-Brainiac
-New Krypton

Everything falls apart halfway through the New Krypton story after 40something issues, but it does have an ending arc, War of the Supermen.

Lex Luthor's Black Circle arc also happens around here and is really good.

Supes also has excellent self-contained stories like Kingdom Come, All-Star Superman, Secret Identity, Red Son which feature alternate versions.

Mark Waid's Birthright and John Byrne's Man of Steel are other origins for Superman that correspond to earlier points in the modern version of the character.
>>
>>81466937
>There's no chronology or "canon" in comics.
Comics don't begin and end with the Big Two.
>>
>>81467019

Well he's asking for comics about a DC character so that was what I referring to in my post
>>
File: 1358608355979.jpg (579KB, 1102x1442px) Image search: [Google]
1358608355979.jpg
579KB, 1102x1442px
>caring about continuity
>being a DC fan

Pick one, honestly. And I say this is a dyed-in-the-wool Superman fan. Superman's entire post-crisis history got wiped out four years ago and what replaced it is absolute shit.
>>
>>81465755
>it is important to me to read from the very first moments of his life until the reboot in the proper order

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/complete-superman-reading-order-post-crisis/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.