[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So wich comic event was worse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

File: civildoom.png (543KB, 594x453px) Image search: [Google]
civildoom.png
543KB, 594x453px
So wich comic event was worse?
>>
I'd say Death of Superman because it actually damaged the market.
>>
Identity Crisis is more the DC equivalent of a shitty event that went on to infect the entire line at least thematically if not also directly plot-wise
>>
>>81447945
Civil War kicked off the Event Age, so I guess you could say it affected the market
>>
>>81447899
i wonder if any comic nerds back then actually believed that they'd let Superman get jobbed to death by Spiky Hulk
>>
Flashpoint. Let shit like James Robinson JSA, Azzarello Wonder Woman, that awful swamp thing comic and a bunch of other garbage that came from it
>>
>>81447998
>event age

stop making things up
>>
>>81447899
>implying anyone gave a shit about civil war
>>
>>81447998
It launched bad stories, Death of Superman crashed the market. It was like the ultimate pinnacle of the speculator market. It sold tons of issues to people thinking it would be valuable some day and was followed by a giant drop in purchases because why would any of those tons of people come back and buy the next issue? Siuperman was dead
>>
>>81447899
That's tough. At least the established characters in Death of Superman were in-character or approximately in-character. But then it was one of the comics harmful to the market.
>>
>>81448041
It's not made up and you know it
Though I'd argue the date should be pushed further bsck to something like House of M
>>
>>81448031
Nice b8
>>
>>81448041
I mean I did make that up but Civil War was the beginning of Marvel's yearly linewide event cycle
>>
>>81448019
I think they doubted it would happen. Or at least, even if Superman died, they knew he'd come back at some point.

It was just the non-comic readers that thought Superman would die for real.
>>
Civil War by a mile, Dark Reign/Thunderbolts and maybe Frankenpunisher were the only decent things to come out of that shithole. Death of Superman had a weak premise, but the Reign, Return and Emerald Twilight were great.
>>
>>81448110
Maybe Avengers Disassembled.
>>
>>81448041

Isn't it kind of a fair point though? Individual books now building up to a huge multi-book event that basically takes over a line and all assorted spinoffs for a few months? Aren't big events pretty much annual in Marvel at this point?
>>
>>81448073
They still do. For some reason Millar's Civil War is one of Marvel top sellers in the bookstore market for years (even before the movie was announced), beating most of Bendis' comics.

This is not neccesarily a good thing.
>>
>>81448212
I eagerly await the coming of DC's bookstore dominance
>>
What death of superman did to the industry, trust in comics, and character death permanence was worse.

but as a marvel fan i hate civil war far more.
>>
>>81447899
Civil War, by far. At least the fallout of the Death brought in some decent ideas and had potential. Nothing good came from Civil War.
>>
>>81448076

This aspect of old comic books always amazed me. Why did people think this kind of thing would ever be worth money? Why would something printed in the hundreds of thousands EVER be worth money?

My understanding is the ONLY reason the original comics (Spider-Man #1, Action Comics #1) are worth so much is because not only did they introduce icons BUT ALSO because kids back then read them to destruction and there were only a handful of copies remaining in anywhere near close to good condition.
>>
>>81448041
>>81447998
The event age is real but it's not Civil War that started it, it's House of M
>>
>>81448073
Hahahahahaaha yeah right. It's not like it was the best selling book of its time or anything.

Same with Death of Superman. That don't mean they were great though, but both events sold like crazy and at least Civil War, still does.
>>
Same as above. By 'old comics' I mean the 90s stuff that had foil covers, multiple covers, inserts and all that garbage that screamed COLLECTORS EDITION that people put in sealed bags and shit even as they were churned out by the thousand.
>>
>>81448277
Thor kicking Tony's ass in the JMS run was good.
>>
>>81448316
I'm not sure which event i hate the aftermath of more....no house of m. Cos thats the one that fucked up mutants.

Grant morrison sets up this cool idea of mutant population exploding and fearful beings taking measures to prevent that leading to new conflicts.
'no more mutants'
Good job bendis. Good fucking job.
>>
>>81448249
Actually DC dominated in bookstores over Marvel for years, going by the Bookscan listings. Marvel only recently started getting increased sales in bookstores over the past two or three years. They're behind DC and Image, though.
>>
>>81448282
>because kids back then read them to destruction and there were only a handful of copies remaining in anywhere near close to good condition.

That's exactly why, comics from that time were cheap and disposable. Also they had pages that encourage kids to rip out pages and mail things in for prizes

But people saw stories about how much those old comics could be worth and the $$$ made them gullible whenever Marvel/DC printed something with the tag SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S ITEM
>>
>>81448282
>Why would something printed in the hundreds of thousands EVER be worth money?

I ask this too, yet somehow the Snyder/Capullo Batman #1 had an estimated sales of 188,420 (see Comichron) and yet has been sold on eBay regularly for $80-90.
>>
>>81447899
Civil War, no contest.
>>
>>81448277
Thunderbolts by Ellis my nigga.
>>
>>81448412
I eagerly await DC's continued bookstore dominance only now everything's double shipping
>>
File: 1379632253650.png (1MB, 901x522px) Image search: [Google]
1379632253650.png
1MB, 901x522px
>>81447899
Civil War easily. We got Superboy out of Death of Superman. We got OMD out of Civil War.
>>
>>81448516
>Suicide Squad lite with horrible Dedato art
Eh. I always get assmad about that Bullseye fight too.
>>
>>81447899
Civil War, by far. And I'm more of a Marvel fan.
>>
File: 1391781190348.jpg (250KB, 700x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1391781190348.jpg
250KB, 700x1094px
>>81448652
I don't think you can call yourself a Marvel fan if you liked Civil War.
>>
>>81448720
Dude, I know a few...
>>
>>81448720
I don't think even Marvel wants to acknowledge that chapter ever again.

Amazingly, Myspace went out of fashion about a year or two after that comic was published.
>>
File: Cirno eh.png (18KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Cirno eh.png
18KB, 225x225px
>>81448720
>that wall of text
>>
>>81448904
It's an edit

People were really not thrilled with that page
>>
>>81448267
this
>>
>>81448904
original is even worse because Cap just takes it like a bitch.
>>
>>81448986
She really is the worst
>>
>>81447945
>>81448076
Protip: it was Marvel and Image that were crashing the market.
>>
>>81449074
Death of Superman certainly didn't help
>>
>>81449074
It's a combination of all three. And Valiant, in a way (people were so hyped up over the Shooter-era books that the prices on the early stuff went up and caused demand combined with speculative demand even after Shooter left)

Plus you also had the deluge of other companies trying to jump in the game. Malibu lost Image so they set up Ultraverse and Bravura. Dark Horse set up Comic's Greatest World and Legend. And some other smaller companies like Lightning, Legacy or whatever jumped in too.
>>
>>81448986
So to be a REAL AMERICAN you have to use Myspace and watch Zombie Simpsons?
>>
>>81449181
Of course, you commie
>>
>>81449087
>>81449148
No, anon. It's just that you refuse to admit DC was doing great and marvel wasn't.
>>
>>81449202
DC's comics were far better written than Marvel's and Image's but don't deny they weren't event-chasing too.

You know how Marvel got the idea to do the multiple color cover thing for Spider-Man #1? They got it from DC's Legends of the Dark Knight #1, which had multiple outer cover variants.

There's enough blame to spread around for the market crash in the 90's.
>>
>>81449355
Now tells us how DC created 9/11.
>>
File: Dark-Knight-Variants.jpg (380KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Knight-Variants.jpg
380KB, 970x545px
>>81449355
Will they ever learn?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/26/67-covers-for-dark-knight-the-master-race-iii-as-many-as-we-can-find/
>>
>>81449495
>guy says Dc comics were far better written than marvel and images at the time
>Not positive about dc enough!
>>
Both were terrible things that had terrible consequences on the comic book industry.

Fuck them both.
>>
>>81449498
>there were more variant covers for the first issue than pages in the comic

It was pretty funny as literally every artist in the industry came out with their own.
>>
>>81448073
It was one of the first if not the first modern comic event that actually got attention outside of comic readers.

So yes, people gave a shit about Civil War.

Still do, since it continues to be one of the top selling books from marvel.
>>
Flashpoint.
>>
>>81449531
>guy says something positive about Dc comics
>says something negative so as not to look like some dirty DCunt
>>
>>81449608
>m-muh sales
You're going to love Civil War II, man.
>>
>>81447899

I'd need to read Death of Superman to make that judgement.

But I gotta say, out of the many Marvel events I've read, Civil War....was not the worst. Certainly the premise is always good.
>>
>>81449833
>continuous high sales not being evidence of interest

I know /co/ hates marvel now, but come on now.
>>
>>81449921
>interest = quality
Come on now
>>
>>81449980
>quality having anything to do with anything

Come on now
>>
>>81449670
>muh continuity!
Fuck. Off.
>>
>>81449980
>comic books
>having any quality whatsoever

lol
>>
>>81450001
>backpedaling
Come on now.
>>
I mean it took decades for DOS to be a movie and maybe one for Civil War?
>>
>>81450043
>Cerebus
>Jimmy Corrigan
>Spectre v3
>not quality
I have more, just a few of my favorites.
>>
>>81450047
>not understanding the post that started all this
Come on now.
>>
>>81450047
>>81450126
>>81450001
>>81449980
>>81449921
Get a room, you two.

>>81450057
>one for Civil War
I wonder what will be worse, the book or the movie?
>>
>>81449765
Its right. can't have a balanced view on things. Seeing both positives and negatives. Nah we should just all being morons who refuse to see anything bad about the company we back and good about the other one.
>>
>>81450198
Feel free to be a hypocrite then.Good night, suh.
>>
>>81450181
The book, this doesn't even require thought
>>
>>81450236
We'll see. I'm cautiously hyped, especially for Hawkeye and ANTS, but it seems like it'll be kind of overstuffed. Also, I can't bing myself to give a single fuck about Black Panther.
>>
>>81450057
Civil War came out in 2005
>>
>>81449202
Nigga multiple people working in the industry at the time have confirmed that DoS played a huge hand in the market crash. Take your fanboy specs off.
>>
>>81450057
And even then it was a DoS adaptation at the end of the movie and they tried to keep it a secret other than Doomsday's involvement in it, while Civil War looks like they took the title because it's popular but are doing something very different with a similar basic premise.
>>
>>81450234
I don't think you know what hypocrite means. But cool, you do you.
>>
Death of Superman technically crashed the speculator market but that market was already doomed. It was only a matter of time until another big event ala Knightfall or Emerald Twilight did it. Also, death was actually readable and the whole Death/Funeral/Rebirth story-line actually became a classic Superman story.

Civil War kicked off a really terrible time for Marvel that it has never really recovered from. Event based summer stories & relaunches became the norm. It also began the age of Marvel pandering to fans for cheap quick sales.

Both were bad but IMO Civil War wins out for being worse.
>>
>>81450524
It's readable, but it's certainly not good

Like everything Jurgens has ever written ever
>>
>>81450034
Agreed. Ugh, it's so problematic these people who complain about the new Wally West or Harper row...
>>
>>81447899
Speaking as a Marvelfag, Civil War.

Not because of the event age. Avengers Disassembled kicked that off followed by Identity Crisis.

Instead, it gave us the age of the tie-in where most if not all books were hijacked to support the event.

Are you a fantastic four or X-men fan who doesn't care about the pissing contest between Tony and Cap?

Tough luck, Eat shit.
>>
>>81447899
Civil War, no contest. Death of Superman reads good, and Reign of Supermen is glorious
>>
>>81450394
2006. I remember because it was a couple of months before my brother got diagnosed with cancer.
>>
>>81447998
Disassembled did that for Marvel (a shitload of stories were marketed as tie-ins) and Identity Crisis did that for DC.
>>
>>81448135
There were newspaper articles about it. It was covered like a news story on television. Shit, Saturday Night Live did a funeral of Superman sketch in 1993. It was announced that Superman would die. Doomsday was invented to kill him, and he would be brought back to life during an event sometime later. Everyone knew his death wasn't going to be permanent but we all wanted to see how it would happen.
>>
>>81453597
>2006

Fuck, I was on /co/ when it was published. Ten fucking years.

Ten fucking years.
>>
>>81447899
Death of Superman has a non cohesive story, and outdated art.
>>
>>81447899
Death of Superman gave comic companies the idea that they didn't need good stories or even "mistery!" to sell comics and instead could sell them entirely out of shock value.

DoS is directly responsible for a ton of shit that came after it, including that death could be retconned.
>>
Civil War.
>>
>>81448720
The only people I know that liked Civil War are self proclaimed "DC fans" who unironically like Identity Crisis and Batman The Dark Knight Strikes Back.
>>
>>81448986
I kinda want a version of this in civil war. But one where Sally gets buttblassted out of it. Even better if Tony is the one throwing that argument.
>>
>>81455028
a) it's actually "strikes again"
b) it's flawed but good
c) civil war was garbage

what now, champ?
>>
File: 1459712137005.jpg (163KB, 594x594px) Image search: [Google]
1459712137005.jpg
163KB, 594x594px
>>81455541
You have shit taste.

Civil War was still garbage.

>You havin' a giggle 'nig?
>>
>>81455028
Identity crisis and CW are shit but DKSA has legitimate fans and actually has a degree of merit in its bombastic storytelling, layout, caricature and fight art.
>>
>>81455608
Protip: if your only retort is "it's shit cause I said so" and "your opinion must be some joke on my behalf", you are actually the one that was wrong, my friend.
>>
>>81450391
See, that's how I feel about everyone in the movie that isn't Vision, Panther, or Spidey.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.