[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Day Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: fleischer-kent[1].jpg (198KB, 1346x952px) Image search: [Google]
fleischer-kent[1].jpg
198KB, 1346x952px
What would be the most on-the-pulse job that a superhero could have in the modern world? In the late 20th century Newspaper Reporter was surely the answer, but what about in the 21st century? Something that's both civilian, yet would aid in watching out for crime to fight.
>>
>>81388376
moderator on Worldstar
>>
Associated Press reporter?
>>
Blogger.
>>
>>81388376
Videogame journalist, he would have his finger on the pulse of some of the worst criminals known to men.
Gamergaters.
>>
>>81388376
News outlet Social Media consultant or advisor. Whatever the title of the Job that is just stay on top of this news companies Twitter and Facebook posts.
>>
>>81388376
It'd be very hard.
A good one is still being an investigative reporter, but instead of being employed at a print newspaper (which don't sell well anymore) they could be independent bloggers with journalism degrees.
Blogging and good journalism were formerly at odds but now bloggers get to the news faster then print media (who have to wait a day while a blogger can just post and upload) and can still employ journalistic ethics and a decent writer who died good reporting can be independently employed using ad revenue, with of course means he doesn't have to make excuses to his boss.
That said, the closest to finding a job that hears about crimes LITERALLY as they happen are police officers, not reporters. The fiction of a reporter rushing to a crime scene to get a scoop is basically JUST a fiction, since they have to take their sweet time after they get there asking for quotes they can source and corraberate and if it's DURING a crime nobody's going to be taking the time to give you quotes you can use and confirm them.
>>
Pizza delivery.
>>
>>81388620

yep
>>
File: 1452974012689.jpg (224KB, 879x656px) Image search: [Google]
1452974012689.jpg
224KB, 879x656px
>>81388734
...I like this idea for some reason. Plus you'd be expected to be missing from work for anywhere from 30mins to a full hour at a time, and nobody'd think twice about seeing you all over town.
>>
>>81388488
May I ask for some elaboration?

>>81388518
>>81388622
Blogger could be practical, but s' not very exciting/involved as far as I know. aka, I know little about the field, and what I do know suggests it's not very intriguing.

Cop could be interesting, almost Daredevil-esque, but I'd think being almost consistently on-the-clock when you've got a radio on your chest and a camera in your car would make being a vigilant tricky.

>>81388734
>>81388940
Interesting at the very least.
>>
>>81388376
>>81389277

I don't think >>81388518 was serious. Blogger >>81388622 isn't the right word for what you might be thinking of. People on sites like the Gizmodo or HuffPo type models may have journalism degrees but they don't get paid enough to really do investigative journalism. The majority of people on those sites (and similar, buzzfeed, gawker, even sites like Yahoo News, etc.) are not even necessarily educated in anything that resembles professional journalism or writing, except that they might be clever and witty, or otherwise can manage to get an audience (just like a You Tube or Twitter 'personality.')

Anyone who legitimately wanted to be a modern day superhero would be best served being affiliated with a legit organization like The Avengers (or the individual MCU heroes) are affiliated with SHIELD, presuming SHIELD is not a proxy for Hydra, yadda yadda.

In the DCU, they have the Watchtower, but your local hometown boys and girls (e.g. your Daredevil say) needs something local and probably isn't going to want to respond to world-wise level threats, etc.

A team approach as they are showing on the Flash and, to a lesser extent using the DEO and sometimes Winn, on Supergirl, to pin point and advise of local situations, is something and then the hero could have whatever employment would allow for downtime - be that pizza boy/girl, baby sitter, personal assistant, CSI, etc.
>>
>>81389987
While I intend for there to be both a Shield-esque and X-Men/Avengers-Initiative like organization, the prior is very militant and as such many would-be heroes feel uncomfortable signing up to an agenda that's outside of their control, and the later is both A: for younger persons, and B: affiliated with the prior. It raises/trains/experiments on people with powers, and either A: leads them into normal lives, B: recruits them into the prior, C: takes them on as an employee, or D: detains them out of the potential threat of their abilities (of which there are very few; it's a pretty low-power setting).
In setting both are largely forces of good, but the paranoia and truths alike generally lead would-be heroes to steer clear of the independent international military life.
>>
>>81388376
The more important question is: are any of these jobs interesting? ?
>>
It's 2016. An "on-the-pulse job" isn't necessary anymore.

You need to worry about finding something that pays enough while letting you work whenever you get chance (without concern for when you come or go, or how long you're there). The news that you'd need you can easily get as long as you have a smartphone. You would just need to make sure you cover all your bases when it comes to getting all of that information.
>>
Cameraman. Its basically everything journalist was in terms of exploring the world.
As for a actual on the pulse job? There is not really such a thing anymore.
Mostly because independent journalism is sorta weird.
>>
/b/ moderator.

Every dipshit under 25 boasts about the crimes they're about to commit a little bit before doing them, so you'd get the head's up. Plus it seems like /b/ gets information faster than news networks during crises. Plus think about all the pedos you'd be able to round up in a single afternoon.
>>
>>81391777
This thread's actually got me thinking that a field-crew could be a good cast of characters, with one of them being the super, and the other 1-3 being their circle of people that know.
>>
>>81388376
The guy who writes closed captions for a news channel.
>>
>>81389277
>Blogger could be practical, but s' not very exciting/involved as far as I know. aka, I know little about the field, and what I do know suggests it's not very intriguing.
"Exciting" jobs are time-intensive.
You cannot just disappear to go fight crime. Clark Kent would be fired within days by any legitimate newspaper on planet Earth for his disappearing act shit, and that was WHEN print media started cutting costs.

>>81389987
>The majority of people on those sites (and similar, buzzfeed, gawker, even sites like Yahoo News, etc.) are not even necessarily educated in anything that resembles professional journalism or writing, except that they might be clever and witty, or otherwise can manage to get an audience (just like a You Tube or Twitter 'personality.')

Thing is? Majority of print media is mass produced garbage too, not actual news. It just has a better reputation.
"Investigative" journalism is kind of dying anyway, but I'm a self-employed blogger with a journalism degree and I only report legitimate news using legitimate sources that I get quotes from and corraberate my facts. I know quite a few others who do it too, mostly whom I used to work with but were laid off when our local newspaper needed to cut staff by 70%.
In many ways it's a lot like being your own boss and having your own column; if your column is shit and unprofessional, then your blog will be treated as such. If your blog is professional and edited and sourced, you'll be treated as if it were in all but the most old-fashioned newspapers. I've been offered jobs at other papers since then, but I've discovered I like being my own boss WAY too much for that.
To whit; the most recent winner of a major journalism award in the US was a self-employed blogger who did not work with a newspaper.
>>
>>81392424
>*BEFORE print media started cutting costs.
Okay, self-admitted downsides; being self-employed means I get sloppy with my editing and that's starting to piss me off because I routinely needed less at my old job then anyone else.
>>
>>81389987
So something like Rick Jones' Teen Brigade would really be useful to street level heroes?
>>
>>81392424
If I may ask you several questions:
I imagine most blogs operate nationally, if not globally; is there such a thing as a "local," blog though? State-wide I could see, not a town-blog though.

What's the minimum view-count of a profitable news blog? The average?

Blogs surely compete, but would any of it go beyond internet-drama tier? Obviously when it's your lively hood you're taking it more seriously than most hobby/private blogs, but do blogs ever get cut-throat in a fashion that could fuel even one arc of episode of some t.v. drama-teir story?

How do most bloggers get their private blogs off the ground?

Do bloggers often operate in teams?
>>
>>81388376
Paramedic, Police Officer, Search and Rescue Desk Jockey.
>>
>>81393791
> Search and Rescue Desk Jockey
Que?
>>
>>81392812
>I imagine most blogs operate nationally, if not globally; is there such a thing as a "local," blog though? State-wide I could see, not a town-blog though.

My city is the largest in my state, so there's a lot of ground to cover.
I also cover national events sometimes and give opinion pieces, but I clearly label what is news and what is an opinion piece.
I'll admit to still writing a bit informally on my news pieces, but it actually gets me more readers and better reviews, especially when I combine it with actual sources and citations and corroboration.

>What's the minimum view-count of a profitable news blog? The average?
I can't actually tell you that for sure because I don't know that for sure. I'm single and living with others so my expenses are different, as well as add revenues paying differently depending on who's renting the adspace.
It helps that I actually DID work for our paper before and thus had a name in the industry and the town beforehand.

>Blogs surely compete, but would any of it go beyond internet-drama tier?
Yes. Part of it is that people read actual paper shit less and less these days, and that when they like something they tend to follow that ONE thing exclusively rather then branch out, which is probably why Fox News has so many viewers when it's increasingly common knowledge that they have the journalistic ethics of a pile of monkey shit.

>but do blogs ever get cut-throat in a fashion that could fuel even one arc of episode of some t.v. drama-teir story?
Maybe one day, but right now since technically a media blogger doesn't need to interact with anybody that usually doesn't happen.
Usually I get the most shit from people employed at an actual paper (like holy shit can they be vicious), but I take solace in the fact that I can still pay rent and that a lot of it is bitterness.

>How do most bloggers get their private blogs off the ground?
Slowly.
I had previous journalistic experience.
>>
Whoever it is at CNN that sits in front of the phones waiting for the calls to come in from correspondents.
>>
>>81392812
>Do bloggers often operate in teams?
Most journalists don't, actually, because it means sharing credit for stories.
But I know some folks who did and I worked with them awhile before going off on my own, we're part of a website that was basically a newspaper without the actual paper part.

I'm told our old editor hates us, but I haven't met him since I got laid off so maybe it's just wishful thinking.
>>
>>81394772
thank you
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.