[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>$90 on Amazon Why is this trade so outrageously overpriced?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

>$90 on Amazon

Why is this trade so outrageously overpriced?
>>
>>81369590
Because it's out of print. Supply and demand, man.
>>
i bought the whole series (complete run, quarterlies, one shot, annuals) in floppies for $75 on ebay
>>
Out of print. Welcome to comics. I'll sell you my copy for $89.
>>
>>81369639
Do this and get it custom bound
>>
>>81369659
What about pages with ads
>>
>>81369706
You can remove then although I know some people who like to keep them
>>
why doesnt dc reprint the trades?
>>
>>81372477
their trade department is fucking shit
I'm still waiting for spectre and MM vol 3
>>
>>81369877
Yeah some old ads can be charming. I especially love seeing ones for failed video game consoles talking shit to the competition

The Atari Jaguar ads were pretty agressive
>>
>>81372477
They think people will not want it
>>
>>81369659
If you've got a local comics shop desperate to unload old stock to make room for newer stuff, you can get entire runs of a series for well below what they sell on eBay. For those shops, it actually costs more to keep the old stock (because it takes space away from items that move better), so they're practically giving the stuff away. Be savvy about it though. Make it look like you're just a casual collector buying stray issues here and there, because once the store figures out that you really want to complete the run, the price on individual issues can suddenly go up.

Or you can wait until a comics convention rolls into town and try your luck there. There are some pretty crazy deals in the con circuit, especially on the last day when retailers want to get rid of as much stuff as they can before it's time to pack up.
>>
>>81373685
Back issues are the only problem I have with my LCS. They charge way too much comcis from the 90's shoulnd't be going for $4 or more. My last shop had most of the back issues in $1 bins and I loved it
>>
>>81369877
>wanting to remove the ads
This is literally the ultimate in pleb
>>
>>81372477
This is how printing trades works.

Company decides to print a trade. They do so. Unless it sells at astronomical levels, it will eventually go out of print, because they cannot continue to print something that very few people will buy (the reasoning being that most people who want it now own it). They do not have infinite printing machines, they can only print so much so they need to decide where they're going to devote their printing time. A year after release, a Question collection will not sell as many as a brand-new Detective Comics trade.

>Why don't they print a whole bunch?

Because then you have to store them, so unless it is a guaranteed seller, companies are hesitant to do that. Printing 10,000 Question trades only to store half in a warehouse somewhere is wasted money, better to print 5,000 and sell them all.

>>81373685 brings up another good point, as older trades will often go for bargain bin prices depending on their popularity. Look for liquidation sales as well -- Marvel is cancelling their Essentials collection, so they are liquidating their remaining stock for cheap. Ask your LCS if they can get some at a good price.
>>
File: 1368553437603.png (81KB, 262x293px) Image search: [Google]
1368553437603.png
81KB, 262x293px
>>81369639
>i bought the whole series (complete run, quarterlies, one shot, annuals) in floppies for $75 on ebay

You should have just bought all the trades for $8 each at a used book store, like I did.

Why do people always turn to ebay and Amazon when they've got used book stores?

>>81372477
>why doesnt dc reprint the trades?

They do though. Recently at least. I've been picking up a bunch of old series they've been reprinting, like Secret Six and Doom Patrol. And there's a lot more on the way, like Rucka's Wonder Woman, which I'm planning to pick up.

I've been considering reading certain books for the first time because of the reprints, like Birds of Prey.
>>
>>81374604
>Why do people always turn to ebay and Amazon when they've got used book stores?
Not every bookstore has what we need
Especially in a smaller town
>>
>>81374882
>>81374604
My bookstores and thrift shops nearby me are always hit or miss, and are more for novels than they are for comics. I would consider it a fucking miracle to find a volume of The Question in one.
>>
>>81374882
>Especially in a smaller town

Then maybe you should move to a place with tons of comic book stores and comic book readers who are constantly dropping stuff off at used book stores.

That's where I get most of my books. I keep getting awesome out of print stuff. Picked up both Jonah Hex showcases and all of Palmiotti's Jonah Hex last year at a book store.
>>
>>81369590
I'm glad I got it when it was cheap
>>
>>81369590
Go on ebay.
Amazon is full of scalpers. I run into the same thing when buying RPG books.
I recently was looking to pick up Shadow Run: Running Wild and on amazon it was for 150 bucks "used." Go on Ebay find it mind condition for 20 bucks from some awesome guy in germany.
>>
>>81375501
Just went onto Ebay, found that exact book for 20 bucks and there is only a day left for bidding.
>>
>>81375501
non on ebay my friend I will never read vol 1
>>
>>81374604
because i want the floppies?
>>
>>81375660
Used book stores have those too.
>>
>>81375767
The likelihood of me finding the entire run, plus extras in one location is slim to none. So I would have had to drive around town looking for the issues at book stores, instead of buying the lot off ebay for roughly $1 an issue
>>
I know that feel senpai. I want the Stephanie Brown Batgirl trades, but that shit is OOP. I know there are others over the years, but I've managed to forget them.
>>
>>81373685
My local comic shop has gotten internet savvy. I used to be able to find rare OOP trades, cheap overstock comics, rare figures...
Then the owners son got involved and now they run an ebay store and constantly update their prices to match after market prices.
Unless it's something that should be cheaper, which they still sell for full price.
>>
>>81374604
>Why do people always turn to ebay and Amazon when they've got used book stores?
Because not all secondhand bookstores are guaranteed to have obscure comics like The Question, dumbass
>>
>>81374604

I went to Half Priced Books and while they had some older books for cheap, anything that was actually rare was kept under the counter and sold at something close to what they go for on ebay.
>>
>>81376531
>Because not all secondhand bookstores are guaranteed to have obscure comics like The Question, dumbass

Mine is. Jealous?
>>
>>81377388
>sold at something close to what they go for on ebay.

Just wait until no one buys them. They'll lower the price. They do that at my Half Price Books at least.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.