[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbing of Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 521
Thread images: 51

File: 6450384733101480883.png (426KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
6450384733101480883.png
426KB, 1000x333px
Is it just me or does Jocelyn look a little retarded sometimes

Like his eyes are pointing in different directions or staring into the distance while he talks
>>
File: 15482378227943983231.png (408KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
15482378227943983231.png
408KB, 1000x333px
Also
>>
>>81354858
First for your web comic sucks.
>>
>>81354858
wow, sure glad Joyce brought Becky along so they could avoid some of these topics which India mission brother seems genuinely interested on touching on
>>
>>81354912
how dare he bring up a rational point? Fucboi bro should just give up his social because she's a brave lesbian
>>
>>81354912
...Or you could go to the social security office.

You know, instead of using someone elses, use your own actual one that was issued to you and will not show up as someone else when cross-referenced by an employer.

Does Willis legit not know how the world works that he thinks she needs to see it fucking written down?
>>
File: willis general.png (458KB, 551x1076px) Image search: [Google]
willis general.png
458KB, 551x1076px
Daily reminder.
>>
>>81354912
>her house which is locked up

Uh, you could probably get some help with that.
Get the police to give her her dad's keychain that most likely confiscated.

I understand why she's not living there, being unable to pay for the utilities and it being more beneficial for her to wait at her GF's dorm room for the house to foreclose so she can declare herself as homeless.
But she should probably try to get her belongings out of there first. Her dad probably has a stash of cash in there somewhere too.
>>
>>81355340
no, see, you don't understand. This is a small minded town and she's an unwanted lesbian. They're more likely to run her in on vagrancy or plant a murder weapon on her then let her retrieve personal effects from a seized property pending approval from either a ranking officer, bank official, or appropriate government beaurocrat
>>
>>81354858
It's a good thing the universe has Becky's back. Most people would need to work hard enough to fill out employment forms in order to eventually become a scientist. Unless of course he's implying that employment forms require a social security number which is rarely true.

>>81354912
And what the hell even is this strip? Like everyone in it is so stupid. Her brother is retarded for taking (What I assume to be) a joke so seriously and she's stupid for not realizing there are a multitude of ways for Becky to get her social security number if she needed it.
>>
>>81355698
To be fair, it's Becky saying that. We have no idea if she's making a terrible unfunny joke or if she's really just stupid enough not to see the consequences of using someone else's social security number.
>>
File: 16741743425670232495.png (400KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
16741743425670232495.png
400KB, 1000x333px
Today is Willis' birthday
>>
>>81356731
angry joyce is best joyce
>>
>>81356731
possibly the least offensive page in months. Especially if you read this out of context
>>
>>81354912
>Being 18 and not knowing your SS
Ok...whatever. But beyond that.
There's like a billion ways Becky can find out her social security. Does she have a bank account? She's never filed any documents that required it? I get that she's kind of sheltered but FUCK.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, isn't using someone else's social security illegal?
>>
File: 1316823235336.jpg (48KB, 329x313px) Image search: [Google]
1316823235336.jpg
48KB, 329x313px
>>81354858
>split infinitive
>>
>>81356731
>eyes red with rage
Oh please oh please oh please Joyce, start a fistfight with your brother oh please oh please.
>>
>>81356731
Did she just become Kira?
>>
>>81356731
JOYCE SMASH!!!
>>
>>81356918
believe or not tons of young adults never memorize their SSN because they never needed to

kids these days are coddled as hell

my best friend doesnt know their SS and theyre 21
>>
>>81357092
Pfft I bet you don't remember it, can you recite here without looking?
>>
>>81356731
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81357211
>>
>>81356731
Has she brought up the fact she was nearly raped with her family? Or do they just brush it off with Midwest Nice and tell her to persevere.
>>
>>81357427
I don't think they know
>>
>>81356918
Seriously though, even if she couldn't remember there's no way she wouldn't be able to get it. It's not as though a child being left with no guardians and no idea what their SS is is an entirely uncommon situation. Just go to the social security office of whatever.

And yeah, pretty much everything Joyce said is an option too. She could probably contact the school for it even if she was kicked out. It's worth a shot. She could definitely ask her dad, or send someone else to ask him if she's uncomfortable speaking to him. And if she owns the house there's no reason she couldn't get into it somehow to look for any files. Keys should have been confiscated from her dad. Hell, she could bust down the door if she really wanted to since it's her house.
>>
>>81357427
She doesn't want to be taken out of school so she hasn't told them.
>>
>>81357467
Yeaaah... she should probably bring that up as another reason why she's 'bitter' with college life, coupled with "My friend's dad tried to shoot me in the face with a rifle"
>>
>>81354858
>his
>he
>>
>>81356731
I'm glad Becky, having basically started this, is just watching it happen now.

Fucking garbage.
>>
>>81356731
FUCKING NINE-TAILED FOX MODE!
>>
>>81356731
I love how she is freaking out at her brother who has been out of the fucking country for god knows how long. His only news source are the parents, since apparently no one gives a shit about Toe-Dad enough for a college shooting to be national news. So yeah, he may have no idea why you are angry at his comments on Toe-Dad or at your shitty, shitty friend's joke.

FUCK YOU WILLIS FOR MAKING ME DIG INTO THIS.
>>
File: BlutoMad.webm (568KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
BlutoMad.webm
568KB, 480x342px
> Joyce is clearly angry for months.
>>81354912
> "Do you realize how angry you sound."
>>81356731
> Joyce gets angrier!
> "BECAUSE I AM [ANGRY!]" (Bonus red eyes in case you didn't notice)

Yawn.

I wish John had just actually said the shitty thing he was going to say, rather than Joyce interrupting and them going into this discussion about anger. Not looking forward to further adventures in tone policing.
>>
>>81357552

Becky hasn't really *caused* anything to happen since she invited herself on Joyce's trip home. She's just kind of been around and annoying. Joyce is driving most of the plot development for this arc.

Joyce's anger is partially caused by concern for her, but Becky can't be held at fault that her friend cares for her.
>>
>>81359118

becky can always be at fault
>>
Why are Joyce and her brothers having diner without their parents? Usually one would have the big awkward meal and fights with the whole family together when everyone returns home for Thanksgiving.
>>
>>81357527
She doesn't own the house. Her dad does. Him being in jail pending a trial doesn't strip his ownership. Him going to prison wouldn't do it either. Becky doesn't have to wait for the house to be foreclosed upon, she's homeless right now.
>>
>>81356918
>Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, isn't using someone else's social security illegal?
Oh, super illegal. I think it's technically identity theft.
>>
>>81360243
I didn't think we were supposed to take the borrow line seriously, but give how it's spun out into this big argument, I don't even know anymore.
>>
I don't know what's worse, the fact that Kurt Busiek (one of my favorite comic writers) actually recommended this garbage on twitter, or the fact that Willis would rather retweet his Transformers garbage than praise from a legit professional.
>>
>>81360338
I can only assume this woman has never LOOKED for a job before, let alone had one, if she doesn't know her SS#.
>>
>>81360243
Since the owner of the social security number in question would be in on it that would make what they're doing fraud, not identity theft.

>>81360338
Some people just like to bitch. We could be talking about important things like how Jocelyn is super cute or what the lesser tier characters are doing, but we'd rather take everything said by a character in a strip that sticks almost exclusively to a gag a day format literally.
>>
>>81360435
Like I said, "technically". That said, how much time has passed since Toe-Dad was arrested? She made a big thing about having plans to him, but so far, her only plan seems to be "wait for my house to get repossessed to I can declare to be homeless." That can take a while, is she doing anything in the meantime?

Also, going by his twitter, apparently Becky has no form of identification either.
>>
>>81360534
>That said, how much time has passed since Toe-Dad was arrested?

A few days. Maybe a little more than a week at most.
>>
>>81354912
Jocelyn is best girl
>>
>>81356731
>Be eating lunch at favorite family restaurant
>ay, this is some good meatloaf
>See that sweet Brown girl that went off to college yea-I mean, weeks ago
>Hey, MacIntyre's daughter's with her. Well, that ain't your favorite look of hair but what's the hurt of trying something new
>ARYANS.avi
>Beg pardon?
>O-oh these kids and their wacky humor
>[HITLER'S YOUTH INTENSIFIES]
>Fucking what did that cheeto-maned brat just call the Briwn boys?
>LESBIAN
>McScuuuuuuse me?
>They sit down and things seem to calm down. Lord, how times seem to have changed these kids
>Think you'll order some pie
>JOYCE SMASH
>Oh fuck this. Next time you're getting Mexican
>>
>>81360670
>public meltdowns
fuck I never know what to do when this shit happens, just stare awkwardly i guess.
>>
>>81360534
>Becky has no form of identification either
Well that seems extremely dire. In that case, I think she might have to get back in contact with the police to get Ross to relinquish her documents. Actually, that seems like something that would've come up when they questioned her.
>>
>>81360744
It's weird that she wouldn't have her old college ID with her, but her not having any form of ID makes sense assuming that Ross never let her get a driver's license and she left her SS card and birth certificate at home.
>>
>>81360827
Did she even GO to college? I mean, she's home schooled. That said, if you're home schooled, why the fuck would you have never taken a day off to get a state ID?
>>
>>81360921
>Did she even go to college
That's what started the whole Becky Arc. Becky goes to christian college. Her roomate and her experiment. She becomes a muff diver. The school finds out and kicks her out while her roomate throws her under the bus. She goes to Joyce's campus before her dad can take her away.
>>
>>81360921
Yes, she was homeschooled then enrolled in a Christian college because her dad thought a secular college would be a bad influence. Becky is sheltered as fuck and has only been away from the control of her father for maybe five weeks at this point.
>>
>>81360743
jessedrinkingwater.jpg
>>
>>81356731
Oh no, Joyce is going to have her armed chopped off
>>
>>81354858
>>81354912
OP, thanks for reminding me this is a terrible webcomic and not to read it!
>>
File: Sharingan.gif (1MB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Sharingan.gif
1MB, 600x450px
>>81356731
Someone needs to give Joyce the sharingan for the last panel.
>>
I want Becky to die, I wish Willis would start killing off characters like he did in his previous works.
>>
>>81364148
do it yourself
>>
>>81354858
>Is it just me or does Jocelyn look a little retarded sometimes
Yeah no joke he's retarded, he's a trongo. What were you expecting, a Nobel Prize physicist?
>>
Every version of Joyce has always been the worst and most unpleasant person and I don't know why any of you waifu her. She's just your shitty, passive-aggressive racist aunt with creepy age regression undertones. She's not mad because of toedad, she's mad because she has to treat gay people like people now.
>>
>>81364924
>trongo
What
>>
>>81366135
Tranny
>>
>>81359919
It's actually not Thankgiving break, the just left for the weekend. It throws off a lot of people, since this thing started right around Thanksgiving... and the fact that it's been a fall weekend for like six months at this point.
>>
>>81354912

>hey you probably shouldn't break the fucking law

>OMFG CHECK YOUR PRIVILIGE BECKY HAD A HARD LIFE

never change, willis
>>
I like how this thread transformed itself into a consultation from The Law Offices of Chan, Chan, Chan & Chan.
>>
>>81367565

Not really, you don't need to be a lawyer to know that using someone else's SS number is hella illegal.
>>
>>81354912
>don't steal social security numbers
>BUT LIKE I DON'T KNOW IT
>you can't find it
>OMG STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE
>but...
>JUST STOP SHITLORD
>>
File: 4229808-9589009397-mqdef.jpg (9KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
4229808-9589009397-mqdef.jpg
9KB, 320x180px
>>81356731
>>
>>81355123
Of course he doesn't. He's a sheltered, childish liberal who makes a living drawing strawman cartoons for other sheltered, childish liberals to circlejerk over.

He has no idea how to live a life, or how to do anything himself. The fact that he has successfully bred should terrify anyone for the future of our species.
>>
>>81368116
wasn't his wife a former fan of his comic?
>>
>>81368231
Probably, and it's probably a somewhat predatory relationship to boot.
>>
>>81356731
>feminism.png
>>
>>81354912
>well, we have your job application here
>the social security number you put down comes up from the system as a different person who is older than you, a different name, and a different gender
>enjoy prison with your dad, I guess

Does Willis think they work like Netflix accounts?
>>
>>81354912
The worst part is, John seems to be trying to help. He's doing the closest thing to Problem solving and figuring out the sutuation and Joyce is just being reactionary.
Also why doesn't Willis draw the glasses going behind the ears? I know it's a small gripe but it's pretty lazy. Glasses ain't magic.
>>
File: Dumbing of Age thread.jpg (22KB, 464x348px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbing of Age thread.jpg
22KB, 464x348px
>>81355323
I get what you're going for, but frankly I think mine is more pithy.
>>81358173
There was a throwaway comment from Ruth about how Toedad made the news, but of course the police and campus authorities have made zero digging into WHY a crazed gunman decided to show up.
>>81360363
>Kurt Busiek likes this shit
Did... did he say why?
>>81365429
Look, if you haven't read any of Willis' stuff before, you could just say so
David's gotten lazy with his art in recent years. He tried drawing the real-life college where this is meant to take place, and it just looked... off. If he'd just pulled a Dobson and traced from a photo, it probably wouldn't have been as bad.
>>
>>81368769
Ruth didn't know who Toedad was, Billie had to explain the relationship between Becky and the crazed gunman to her.

Also, Dina got into a fistfight with a crazed gunman twice her size about a week ago and her parents have been neither seen nor mentioned. Going by the lack of evidence it's reasonable to assume that they don't know what happened to Dina.
>>
I'm confused, what exactly has Joyce so pissed off?
>>
>>81369226
elves
>>
>>81369226
Her family isn't respecting her homeless dumbass lesbian forced-herself-onto-me friend who invited herself to thanksgiving with them.
>>
>>81368116
And he just cashed in some of his internet cred for 70k. The System is pretty strange at times.
>>
>>81368554
Rimless stemless glasses seem to be a Thing nowadays. See it something positive a lot and it drives me nuts.
>>
>>81369226
It's a whole bunch of things that have been building up for a while her family seeming a bit dismissive of toedad's actions and the consequences for Becky is just the last straw.
I imagine John is genuinely confused by her reaction because he has no context for it. If only he had thought to ask why she's so cranky
>>
File: 1399279805777.gif (978KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
1399279805777.gif
978KB, 500x211px
>>81368021
I'M MAD!!
>>
>>81368436

>mfw I have moved out, lived in a new place for a year, and gotten married but I'm still a guest user on my old roommate's Netflix account
>>
>>81354912
I really wouldn't have written this to have John assume that Becky is being serious.

"Wait, Becky, do you really not have your social security number?" Is a way more reasonable 1st panel, but from there it's hard to paint him as an asshole. So instead, he assumes that she's actually legit asking for someone else to commit SS fraud, instead of revealing her lack of an SS through a super uncomfortable joke(?). Jocelyn already told Becky she's opposed to the idea so John's line should be more of a continuation or reinforcement, than a stand alone statement.

Another option is to not have Becky act like that in >>81354858 , but that's pretty much Becky's MO to be weird and awkward.
>>
>>81369509
Pince-nez glasses are a thing too.
>>
>>81369568
Fuck this is comfy. I miss this. Before he started just making "Bigotry: The comic"
>>
>>81360744
Isn't this a thing in the U.S.? Where voter I.D. laws restrict black people from voting?

Which is it, is there no standardised federal photo identification card in the U.S. (which, me being european, I assume should be as easy qs possible to acquire for anyone over the age of 14), or is it worthless compared to a voter I.D., a driver's licence or a social security card?

I mean, in my country you need a photo I.D. for a public transportation pass.

For that matter, shouldn't asking for a spare social security card be simple as well?
>>
>>81354858
>Not knowing your SS.

Seriously? When I turned 12 my broke as hell single parent told me that this is the one number to remember and she drilled me on it. It's a number I've used countless times since then. It's basically your name.

I'm pretty sure that wild dog woman in Russia knows her Soc.
>>
>>81369685
Now that I think of it, hoow does someone get through high school and get into college without knowing their ssn? I didn't know mine until I had to start filling out a million forms in junior and senior year.
>>
>>81369802
To be fair, Becky is super sheltered and controlled. Toe dad probably wouldn't go around telling her her soc, because then she could make decisions without him.
>>
>>81369818
>>81369802
>>81369779
>>81369685

This can be easily summed up under "Becky is a retard."
>>
>>81369818
Well don't forget, Joyce and Becky were homeschooled and I don't think Becky even has a license.
>>
>>81369685
Willis isn't a good enough writer to work with the background he gave Becky. She should be weird and awkward, she's a sheltered and poorly socialized kid thrust into the world and then had everything go to shit in very short order. But Willis seems unable to really introspect on his characters and have them react logically to each other and their surroundings.
>>
>>81356731
I know shes young and repressed so shes finding it hard to control her emotional but i hope the next panel is her explaining shit even if its in angry tie-raid form, i dont want it just to be hurled insults.
>>
>>81356918
In all fairness, I didn't have mine fully memorized until I was like twenty. I needed to write it down constantly because I'm shit at memorizing numbers.

Still, she should be able to get it. There's a bunch of ways, either through the police or through her local security office. I guess, depending on how cloistered she was, she might have no idea how, and/or be embarrassed to ask.
>>
>>81369937
I hope someone points out how unreasonable she's being.

Becky's causing problems here, she shouldn't be defended. Yes Mom's not helping things but Becky did invite herself to this.
>>
>>81369889
>>81369842
>>81369846

Ironically Joyce seems the super sheltered one.

I think this also reflects on Willis.
>>
>>81369818
Dad ex machina. Becky's dad controlled everything and filled out every form because he's both an unstable psychopath and extremely meticulous? But also Becky, who apparently was always harboring lesbian love for Joyce, never thought to think for herself until alone with some other lady in a dorm.

The comic is bad!

>>81369779
I dunno how it is in the states, but I know in Canada it's a fucking pain to get stuff replaced when you don't have a photo ID, especially when you don't have bank statements or credit cards or a paystub (all things Becky doesn't have because dad ex machina).
>>
>>81369239
Go to bed Pelinal.
>>
>>81369842
Hmm, makes sense. He is a lunatic after all.
>>
>>81368554
>The worst part is, John seems to be trying to help. He's doing the closest thing to Problem solving and figuring out the sutuation and Joyce is just being reactionary.
What is Men-Women conversations.
>>
>>81369998
They're both the same amount of sheltered (actually Becky should be worse, Joyce's dad seems kinda normal now even though he was nutso in the freshman family weekend arc*), but for some reason Becky went from telling Joyce to not let secular college change her, to being super quirky, and accepting of anything for not really any reason.

*Actually, that change came out of nowhere as well.
>>
>>81369996
>Mom's not helping things but Becky did invite herself to this.

Becky is not knowing the basic shit here. To people that comes off as needy subversive.

On the same foot, Becky isn't actually asking for help. Joyce is thrusting Becky around trying to get her help. It's looking like some weird coodependence situation where Becky is assuming the role of Becky's mother and is upset people aren't jumping on to help her help Becky so she can feel good about herself.

This conversation was normal until Joyce(Wilis) decided to cause shit.
>>
>>81370224
>It's looking like some weird coodependence situation where Becky is assuming the role of Becky's mother and is upset people aren't jumping on to help her help Becky so she can feel good about herself.
That's because Becky is a selfish parasite. I know, difficult situation etc. But then she goes out of her way to anger people and does shit like blowing her last $20 on a stupid haircut another student could probably do for free.
>>
>>81369802
If you aren't already in the system it is giant pain.
>>
>>81370012
>>81369779
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHFOwlMCdto
>>
>>81369779
>Which is it, is there no standardised federal photo identification card in the U.S.

Fear of an all-encompassing fascist government having your photo or something.

Or contempt for anyone who doesn't have the money or time to take two buses across town on a weekday to get a new photo ID.

Basically it boils down to "I don't want a federal ID card, 1984, etc" and "well I got an ID easily enough, why should I pay a dollar more in taxes so the old fuck down the block doesn't have to go to the DMV?"
>>
>>81369779
I lived in a state that Wikipedia says has strict voter ID laws for the last election and didn't even have to tell anyone my name. Of course... I'm white?

There should be a federal drivers license and the road rules should be federal as well in America, but state government wants a cut of that sweet sweet money.
>>
>>81369779
>Isn't this a thing in the U.S.? Where voter I.D. laws restrict black people from voting?
Only in the severely retarded states.
>>
>>81369846
You spelled Willis wrong.
>>
>>81355323
B-but I like Mary...
>>
>>81369779
ID cards are set by the states themselves. There is a standardized set federal regulations, the REAL ID Act, but pretty much all state IDs have always had the same information on them. Photo identification cards exist, are easier to get than a driver's license, and are a legal form of identification. And applying for a spare SS card is easy, but you have to know your number.

Getting a non-driver's license ID in my state requires a social security card. two forms of additional ID with at least one having a photo or three forms of non-photo ID, proof of lawful residence if you're a non-citizen, and a $36 fee.

And the voter ID laws don't actually restrict black people from voting. Most studies show a small drop in voter turnout in general rather than specifically among black people. Voter fraud issues on an individual level are little more than smokescreens to mobilize support, most actual voter fraud comes from vote suppression at the precinct level or higher.
>>
>>81369226

In the space of a couple of months: She was almost-raped at a college party and never really had the chance to get over it, but demanded no one tell anyone because her parents would pull her out of college. She's fallen "in love" (really, she's just very conflicted about her sexual urges) with a gay guy and had an unhealthy relationship with him. Her lifelong best friend came out to her and then told her she's homeless if she can't stay in their dorm. Then her best friend's father showed up and kidnapped her at gunpoint. Now she's gone home to visit her family, but overheard her mother telling her father they have to pull Joyce out of school for fear of secular influences. And throughout all of this, she's struggled with reconciling her Christian beliefs with her first experiences of seeing atheists as not just real people, but better than most Christian peers she has to deal with right now.

Pretty much every aspect of her life is falling apart. She doesn't know how to express her anger, but she cares enough for her friends to be protective of them, so that's the only release she's got.
>>
>>81372404
Realistically Joyce needs therapy. I literally can't fathom your entire life going to shit with the speed and consistency Joyce's life has. I'd just kill myself desu.
>>
>>81372404

Honestly though, Joyce's parents are right. She's had a shit time at college, she's fallen in with a pretty bad crowd, and she's gone through a number of traumatic experiences. College is not a healthy environment for her and she really should be pulled out. Of course, this will all get overlooked because MUH EVIL CHRISTIANS but anyone familiar with mental health will tell you that the benefits of Joyce being in college don't outweigh the downsides.
>>
While Willis is still heavy handed as shit, I can't help but at least like how protective Joyce is of Becky.
>>
>>81372831
To be fair though, her home is just as shitty. Like even if she gets pulled out of College I doubt going home would help her either. She'd either need to get her own place or stay at a hostel or something.
>>
ID can be hard to find if you don't have the paperwork (like a SS Card) and getting the paperwork can be a LOT of work since a lot of states (especially those under Republican control and have passed "Anti-Voter ID Fraud" laws*) have it so that you have to have a photo ID (and a decent chunk of change) to get your paperwork.

*Pretty much the entire point of these laws is not to stop fraud, but to basically disenfranchise Democrat leaning voters such as the poor, regardless of skin color and to throw up hurdles to out of state college students who have out of state ID).

Adding to this, is that Department of Motor Vehicles have been slowly but surely closed out in a lot of poor communities (going into the above) and that most of the poor folks that ARE working, don't have the time and luxury to be able to take off the time from work needed to go all over the place to get the paperwork, or the $100 and some dollars for the various documents laying around, to get the documents.
>>
>>81373118

Okay, define "shitty". Like are her parents genuinely abusive or are they just really really religious and impose strict rules on Joyce?
>>
>>81373055
They are being set for sex.
>>
File: 3-3.png (346KB, 1111x333px) Image search: [Google]
3-3.png
346KB, 1111x333px
I've been waiting a little while to post this.

Also, joyce makes me feel sad.
>>
>>81373614
Moreso the latter but you can already see the beginnings of turmoil between her parents. Her brothers a closeted trans person, John is estranged for the most part and she might be about to burn that bridge as well. There's basically no chance of her seeing eye to eye with her mother anymore, and her parents might only stay together so that no one judges them for getting a divorce.
Not exactly a place you'd really want to go to to get away from drama.
>>
>>81374076
>Homosexuality tearing families apart.
I don't think this is suppose to be the message I'm getting.
>>
>>81354858
>>81354912

Wait. Why would she think using someone else's social security number would work? Wouldn't that cause a lot of problems?
>>
>>81374150
Let's be honest. It kind of does. People are super hung up about gays for some reason. If no one gave a shit, everything'd be cool, and just let god sort it out. God was clearly just going through a really tough time and took it out on the gays.
>>
>>81374490
>a lot of problems?
As in it's a crime that both the FBI and IRS would have interest in, yeah she'd be pretty fucked.
>>
>>81374076

Okay, but that still sounds infinitely less shitty and more salvageable than her college life.
>>
>>81374054
Should've waited longer, that way you could have forgotten to post it.
>>
>>81375440
well other than the attempted rape, most of her college life has been fine. She has a lot of friends, she had a boyfriend she broke up with but is still on good terms with. She seems to like her teachers just fine. Beyond that College has been mostly ok for her other than her agoraphobia, which being home wouldn't magically get rid of anyway.
>>
File: 2016-02-29-squeezing.png (335KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-29-squeezing.png
335KB, 1000x333px
>>81375440

If your parents are having this conversation, it's pretty much a given that your home life is not going to be conducive to mental and emotional healing.
>>
>>81375793

Yeah, but the point is that Joyce needs a functional support network, which is a lot easier to have in your own home rather than at school. Really, that she's freaking out over something like this implies that she needs to get away from her current situation.

>>81375862

Okay, ignoring how literally no real person has ever talked like that ever, I'm still of the opinion that she'd be better off having someone making her decisions for her, especially given how everyone in this comic seems to constantly make the shittiest decisions possible. This would be the lesser of two evils by far.
>>
File: 3-4.png (339KB, 1111x333px) Image search: [Google]
3-4.png
339KB, 1111x333px
And another one.
>>
>>81375959
>Functional support network
Walky
Dorothy
Billie
Sarah
Dinah kind of.
Amber
Ethan
Leslie
and probably others.
>Home
Her dad.
Jocelyne.
Maybe John.

>ignoring how literally no real person has ever talked like that ever.
I live in the bible belt, so that kind of talk doesn't really surprise me in the least.
>>
>>81376123
I can never tell. Is she wearing a suit of armor? and if so, why?
>>
>>81376223
Yeah she is, in her first appearence she says she's wearing it because "It's college, I need to be super prepared"
>>
File: 1459483435-2016-04-01-dream.png (356KB, 550x818px) Image search: [Google]
1459483435-2016-04-01-dream.png
356KB, 550x818px
Oh hey, Short packed updated.

Luckily everything that happened was just a dream from jesus.
>>
>>81356731
Oh shit she's going to use heat vision
>>
>>81377487
This comic kinda synchronizes my feelings on Shortpacked!. It was fun and realized how silly it was and then towards the end it just became heavy handed in trying to push Willis messages. I'm glad it's over. It got bad, but DOA's still getting worse.
>>
Why are American webcomics so short? Does it really take 2 ~ 3 days to make 4 panels?
>>
>>81360363
Why should I worry? Busiek's a far, far talented writer than the stuff he recommends. He recommended Funky Winkerbean and Superfolks too. Just because you think DoA is an enormous piece of shit and he doesn't, doesn't take away from his talent.
>>
So the moral her is that lesbians ruin families.
>>
>>81376196
>Functional support network
>Functional

Knowing what we know about the cast, I think we can safety dismiss that notion.

>I live in the bible belt, so that kind of talk doesn't really surprise me in the least.

Whatever you say, Dave.
>>
>>81374873
Maybe if they gays shut up about it every once in a while, things would go better.
>>
File: it was a joke.png (124KB, 571x494px) Image search: [Google]
it was a joke.png
124KB, 571x494px
>>81354858
>>
>>81377655
>Why are American webcomics so short? Does it really take 2 ~ 3 days to make 4 panels?
Well this one updates daily so ~1 day for 4 panels.

In general, the answer is that without an editor or a boss we're fucking lazy.
>>
>>81378714
that would actually be kind funny if that was the punch line but Willis doesn't... understand comedy
>>
>>81354912
>Her social security number has got to be somewhere, like her house
>IT'S LOCKED THO
Holy shit, remind me never to be a brother to Joyce.

Breaking and entering is less of a crime than identity theft btw.
>>
>>81377655
Willis sits down and hammers out about a month of his comic at a time. He works hard to be lazy so to speak
>>
>>81377830

>Knowing what we know about the cast, I think we can safety dismiss that notion.

Pretty much, yeah. General rule of thumb is that peers aren't great at mental health. You have a better chance of getting help from a professional from a church (there are christian mental health practitioners so unless her parents are super into denominational issues she'd be fine) than you do with a bunch of college kids dealing with their own issues.

>>81378804

Plus she'd have plausible deniability saying that it's her house and she was just locked out.
>>
>>81378992
Oh definitely. There's a difference. Home might not offer her support. (A man literally held Joyce and Becky at gunpoint and her mom was like "But do you think he really deserved to go to jail?") but they have the potential to be more functional. If they choose to be, which knowing Willis they won't.
School friends have support but they're mostly 18 who don't know how life works either. Someone like Leslie Bean might be able to help but other than that Joyce would have rely on actual children.

So nah. Going home's not a great option either. That's why I said if she moves out of college she needs to get her own place away from everyone and just see a therapist on her own. Maybe with her dad.
>>
You do get about five requests for a new social security card.

She was born in the state at I would wager a hospital therefore she got a number before she even left the building.

Just get a new card.
>>
>>81360534
>Also, going by his twitter, apparently Becky has no form of identification either.

This ends with them getting deported to Mexico due to lack of proof of citizenship.
>>
>>81379863
FUCKING BECKY ISN'T A FUCKING MENNONITE!

WILLIS YOU HACK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81354912
Welp. Willis did it. Joyce is ruined.
>>
>>81379863
>Toe dad was so possessive that Becky is off the grid.
>>
>>81378824

As someone who does media that requires regular updates, that sounds EXTREMELY unhealthy. Granted, I just write shit, so I don't have a choice in the matter. I used to do some let's plays, and I'd record a week's worth of material in a few hours.

>>81379332

See the problem here is that I'm using real world logic, since that's what Willis seems to want DoA to work with. It's incredibly easy to say "hey Mom, I want to see a christian therapist" and the mom goes ahead with it, then explain to said therapist that your mom is a psycho and talk about methods of coping with an insanely shitty living situation. I know it works because that's what my mom did growing up in Bumblefuck New York.

But ultimately you're right for using Willis logic, which is the "real world" the way Willis sees it, and so you actually do have a better grasp on the somewhat simplistic, childish logic of the walkyverse than I do.
>>
>>81377585
Don't do this! Stop!
>>
>>81359118
Becky's nudging things and being an instigator, inadvertantly or not. I'd say she knows how her friend is right now and presses on but that would require Becky to think about people who are not herself or the consequences of her actions.
>>
>>81382506
would a Willis Superman movie be more or less heavy handed than Snyder?
>>
>>81382620
I'm sure there'd be a prolonged sequence where Supes burns down every single church in the bible belt with his heat vision.
>>
>>81382620
The death of pa kent would be celebrated.
>>
File: edit4.png (314KB, 1003x333px) Image search: [Google]
edit4.png
314KB, 1003x333px
Reminder, always appreciate the mspaintretard
>>
>>81383001
She really knows how to worka the burqa.
>>
>>81380878
Her momma died in childbirth because she's a basement rape-baby.
>>
>>81377487
Apparently he does a comic every April Fools.
>>
File: theeyeshaveit.png (393KB, 1008x336px) Image search: [Google]
theeyeshaveit.png
393KB, 1008x336px
>>81356731

the mspaint retard strikes again
>>
File: addedthemissingeyebrow.png (374KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
addedthemissingeyebrow.png
374KB, 1000x333px
>>81385535

AND AGAIN
>>
>>81386001

Joyce isn't Catholic.
>>
>>81386042

That only makes it work better
>>
>>81386001
I get what you're trying to do, but this is even clunkier than the original.

How about: "Shut up! Just shut the fuck up you fucking dyke! If you ever harass me or my family ever again I will beat you browner then the untouchables I saw on my missionary trip to India! Now what the fuck kind of waffles you tryna eat?"
>>
>>81386127
How?
>>
>>81386144

the main reason why I do them is because I want to encourage others to do better

The second reason is starting to become a drive to add Willis's missing eyebrows
>>
>>81354858

two more missing eyebrows
>>
>>81386180

There's irony to one being at odd's with one's conservative feature's in one's faith, while behaving like a turboconservative version of that same faith.
>>
>>81386390
>that same faith.

Nut they're small town protestants, not catholics.
>>
>>81386443

"The same faith" as meant by "both Christians"
>>
>>81356731
The FUCK does she have to be bitter about?
>>
>>81387337
Dave Willis's parents.
>>
>>81377948
But how would anyone know of their same-sex love?
>>
>>81369802
>>81369818

Most kids only rarely have to use it, so they don't memorize it until they really go on their own. Don't be so egocentric.

It's weird that she doesn't have her card, though.
>>
>>81388329
Not that guy but I knew my ssn by the time I was 12. Similar shit from all my friends. Not knowing your ssn is a extraordinarily extreme case.
>>
>>81388659
You're the extreme case, bro. Most kids memorize it somewhere around 16-22. Around the time they start filling out forms for jobs, drivers licenses, college, etc.

Once again, don't be egocentric.
>>
I'm 22 and barely know my SS number.
>>
>>81388996
Don't project your shitty childhood on me bro.
>>
>>81389108
But it's granted since I'm NEET.
>>
>>81389119
>Shitty childhood
What are you even talking about now?

I'm sorry, you memorized your social security number before most people. I don't know why this information upsets you.
>>
>>81375862

Who's jordan?
>>
>>81389108
I only know mine because it has five of the same number in a row.
>>
File: Angry-Joyce.png (36KB, 118x333px) Image search: [Google]
Angry-Joyce.png
36KB, 118x333px
>>81356860
>>81356731
>>
>>81389533
Jordan is the estranged Brown son who has never been shown in DoA (or ever, I think). He's the black sheep of the family, at least until Jocelyn comes out and Carol fist fights her to death or splashes acid in her face.
>>
>>81354912
The comments for this strip on the site are even more ridiculous than usual. They think John is the biggest piece of shit in the universe for trying to be responsible.

They're also really obsessed over the idea that John's "angry" comment is an assertion of patriarchal oppression or something.

>>81357092
>Kids these days
If this poster is older than 22 I'll buy into the patreon and post the early strips here for the next five years.

>>81369226
anyone who insults Becky is worse than Hitler
>>
>>81390160
I really hope that Jordan is genuinely a basket-case. I'm anticipating that he'll just be a smug liberal atheist who stands up to his parents. Basically, what Willis wishes he was like.
>>
>>81390274
For all the things wrong with this comic, everyone here does get the whole "Becky is one of those 'deflects their insecurities/fears/etc with humor' type people, yes? I mean, she's obnoxious as shit and isn't meant to be looked at as infallible, right?
>>
>>81369154
Parents only exist if their evil kkktistian bigots
>>
>>81369779
There are virtually no restrictions to anyone voting. You feel for a liberal meme, anon.
>>
So when do they get superpowers in this one? Is there any supernatural or scifi stuff at all?
>>
>>81391647
Their superpower in this one is being unrealistic, yet somehow accurate portrayals of the worst human being's alive.
>>
>>81369779
Social security card requires two other forms of ID. One must prove your age, and the other must prove your identity.

Identity can be done by Driver's License or Passport. Becky probably doesn't have either of those. Substitutes exist, but those are also hard for her to have. Most likely is a school ID, from her last school.

Age can be done a lot of things, but they don't come easy. Basically, she needs a birth certificate, or a passport.

So, what she needs to do is obtain a copy of her birth certificate, which requires talking to the state she was born in. After she has that, she can get a state ID (Since there are non-Driving ID's.) This requires proof of residence, which she can get from documents that should've been mailed to her house.(Bank statements and such.) If she gets all her paperwork taken care of, she can have a social security card in two months or so.

Becky is essentially paperless, and that's a hard place to be in. She won't be able to get a job, or actually apply for college, for two more months.
>>
>>81391568

Another anon here.

While we're on the subject of voting, could you shed some light on the registered democrat/republican/independent thing, i know it was somehow important to the fuckery with the arizona primaries.
>>
>>81392214

Being paperless is an absolute nightmare. It's probably marginally easier to deal with now than it has been at any point in our history, but it's one of those shitty recursive 'to get x you need y and to get y you need x' type things. It's a fucking bitch to fix, especially when you're in her kind of situation.
>>
>>81354858
>>81354912
Do they all have cute little dog noses?
Is this a really lazy furry comic?
>>
>>81392539

Rules change state by state, and party by party in certain cases. Arizona's problems are much worse than just 'your party selection/affiliation was magically changed after the cutoff date lol2bad' Why you're asking an obvious troll for further information is beyond me.
>>
hopefully patreanon strip soon
have your social security numbers ready
>>
>>81392633
I lost my driver's license, passport, and ssc all at the same time. Luckily I had some other forms of ID, so it was just time consuming. But if I didn't...

I'm not even sure who you go to if you have literally nothing to prove who you are. Like, do you go to your state and somehow give them your fingerprints so you can get your birth certificate?

>>81392539
Way beyond the scope of this discussion. In Virginia (Where I live.), all you need to do is be in the voting precinct that you live, give them your name, and be registered to vote with that party. So, if your registration got switched around through paperwork magic, you'd be fucked, but that doesn't mean you need an ID, since they pretty much assume no one's going to pretend to be you.

When it comes to the presidential election, you need to be registered to vote, but not for any particular party. This generally happens when you're 18, the same age that you're legally required to register for the draft. Most registration laws kind of just assume that you'll be registering in the system when you get a driver's license.
>>
>>81393044
School transcripts. I had to make a trip back to my Highschool get that, which was enough for the Birth Cert, and from there I could piece enough together to go further. Barring that you really do have to bring down a blood-relative, mainly mother or father. Good luck when you're otherwise estranged and/or they're dead.
>>
>>81392815

I figured I'd ask your half dead-half president all giganigga for information regarding politics.

I mean, from the little I've seen, is the process literally fucked to the level where you can't vote outside of the party you're registered for? Does it fuck with the place you're supposed to vote at for whatever reason? What effect does the party registration have?
>>
>>81393044

Ah thanks
>>
>>81393268
Party registration allows you to vote in the primaries, which are the votes that the political parties have to decide which party member will be their candidate for the general election.

So being a registered democrat will allow you to help decide if Bernie or Hilary will be the democratic candidate. If you aren't a registered democrat, then you only get to decide if the president will be a democrat or a republican, which happens in the actual general election. Of course, theoretically anyone can run for president, so, theoretically, primaries shouldn't be a big deal. In a better world we'd see a general election where it's Trump (Angry Independents) Cruz (Republican party) Clinton (Moderate Democrats) and Sanders (Democratic Socialists.) But we have a de facto two party system, so primaries are actually fairly significant.

Still, if you think 'not being registered as a party member' means an American can't vote for the president, then you've been gravely misinformed.
>>
File: WOOOOOOOORDS.png (367KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
WOOOOOOOORDS.png
367KB, 1000x333px
Oh look, Willis is changing the scene again because he couldn't come up with anything.
>>
>>81383001
That is unironically funny as fuck. Seeing it flipped makes me think, maybe willis really does have talent and I'm just out of his demographic.
>>
File: but sir I'm flaming.jpg (37KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
but sir I'm flaming.jpg
37KB, 512x384px
>>81393846
Why do I still read this shit?
>>
>>81393846
I called this shit.

>>81358326
>further adventures in tone policing
>>
>>81393846
It's frustrating because any viewpoint that doesn't agree with Willis is portrayed in an extremely unsatisfying way.

John isn't completely wrong, but he's wrong enough that it keeps him from digging in and having an actual conversation. Joyce isn't completely right, and we can see that, but we'll never get anyone that can help her to work through this.

The biggest issue is that there's a glaring lack of compassion from anyone that isn't on the designated side of right, and it keeps being an issue every time something like this happens. It's like Willis has written 3/4's of something with an actual characterization and nuance, and then just refuses to write out the rest of it, because.... fuck if I know why.
>>
>>81393846
>i still have concern for other people's property
>except my brother's documents
>>
>>81393268
There's two types of primaries: open and closed. Open means you just have to be registered to vote (so you can be Dem/Rep/Ind), and you can vote in either party's primary. Closed means you have to be registered Democrat for Democratic primary or Republican for Republican primary. There's also caucuses in some states but they're even more retarded.
For the Presidential election it's 'open', you just have to be registered to vote regardless of party.
>>
>>81393846
Oh, and this takes Becky and Joyce to the hotel room, I guess.

I wonder if Willis is going to write Joyce as a lesbian now that everybody hates her.

Or just Fuck this comic, really. I don't know why I keep coming back here. Mr. Bones' Wild Ride, I guess.
>>
>>81393846
Wasn't the older brother the one Joyce's parents had an issue with?
>>
File: 1459489034551.jpg (51KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1459489034551.jpg
51KB, 500x334px
>>81393846
Why doesn't Josh say anything? She clearly worried about Joyce. And why is the older bro being such a dick? Why is everyone in this damn comic an idiot?
>>
>>81394322
Naw, that's Jordan. We still don't know what his deal is, though.
>>
>>81394372
Because Muh Designated Antagonist.
>>
>>81394372
I dunno; I guess because Mom isn't around there needs to be an antagonist.

Conflict is necessary in writing ongoing stories and keeping things interesting. But it doesn't mean there needs to be conflict everywhere you look. Willis could have used this as a chance to let his characters breathe.
>>
>>81394372
>hy is the older bro being such a dick
>sister hanging with a VERY outspoken dyke
>shitting on things you thought you shared
>not giving a fuck about you bro
>threatening to throw things at you
Ayyyyyyy
>>
File: massive_dick.png (30KB, 141x188px) Image search: [Google]
massive_dick.png
30KB, 141x188px
>>81394372
>she
I think he's a faggot, not a tranny. DoA already has one of those, I think two would be a stretch even for a comic as "progressive" as this.
>>
>>81394588
You know, I originally thought he was just a cross dresser, but not really sure anymore.
>>
>>81394519
It makes a ton of sense to want your sister to be calm before you talk through the issues she's facing, but telling her to 'be reasonable' first is how you make people hate you. It's not that things like this don't happen, but continuously building a mountain for Joyce to walk away from just makes everyone with a different viewpoint into a villain, instead of a moderate viewpoint and a sympathetic 'other'.

It's not unrealistic, but it's a very unsatisfying story.
>>
>>81394659
>>81394588
In It's Walky!, she was a trannie (but nobody cared and everyone was cool with it). In DoA, they're drawn extremely feminine. This is obviously a setup for major family drama and giving Joyce the excuse to cut her family out of her life and

oh fuck me it's a setup for her to beat up Mary too.
>>
>>81393846

I can't help but not hate John for being calm and collected the whole time.
>>
Hey guys it's Willis birthday today, he's 37 now and he still has his childhood traumas.
Go wish him happy birthday you sad person
>>
>>81394866
Who cares.
>>
>>81394588
>>81394659
>>81394786
They're tagged as Jocelyn on the site.
>>
>>81394951
>Jocelyn

Seriously, what is up with trans people adding "lyn" to the end of their new name? This is like the third time I've seen that.
>>
>>81394997
How do you make a feminine Joshua?
>>
>>81394997
it's a Willis thing

Most trans people either pick a completely different name to distance themselves from the gender they are getting away from
>>
>>81394322
I think at this point Joyce's parents has issues with all their kids to some degree, and Mom in particular is upset because she can't refill the quiver at this point.
>>
>>81393846
So I guess there's not going to be a family meeting then? What do you know, Becky was there and the exact thing that Joyce's sibling were afraid that were going to happen, happened
>>
>>81395128
Yeah Becky ruins lives.
>>
>>81395055
I know. I mean with their new name. I know a Caitlyn who chose her new name completely independently of Jenner choosing hers, and then Joshua is apparently going to rename herself to "Joycelyn".

It's weird. Is this a meme in the trans community or something?
>>
>>81395226
And by "meme", I mean "contagious thought".
>>
>>81395226
I know some people just slightly tweak their original name so that it's easier to answer to and for other people to remember it

Just depends on the person really
>>
>>81394823

He didn't really do anything wrong. He was right, Becky needs to find her own social security number and there are methods to do it. And all he said about Toedad was he didn't like violence being an answer to a problem. Which there is nothing wrong with that mentality at all.

Even not wanting Becky there can be more than homophobia. I hate when I invite my sister to meet places and she shows up with like ten of her friends because they wanted to do stuff too. He wanted to see Joyce, not her annoying friend.

Fuck you Willis. Fuck you.

>>81394866

I can't he blocked me for tweeting the Toedad edit to him after we made it. Then he went on that twitter rant.
>>
>>81393846

You know, I'm going to admit that Joyce has reason to be angry, but regardless this storyline is fundamentally (heh) shitty IMO, because of how blatantly Willis is just trying to give the middle finger to his upbringing and parents. And probably not even for the sake of "Oh the poor minorities", I have no doubt it's just because he's grumpy they didn't let him watch certain shit and he wants a bit of petty payback.

It's like he thinks no character with hate (and always hate, not even mild disapproval) for some people are incapable of love, affection, or positive traits in general. I've personally known people with completely outdated views on certain people or things that are nonetheless loving, honest, courageous, etc.

And Joyce is far too well-adjusted and too-good-for-this-crappy-family to look at as a self-insert and not think Willy is just stroking himself off. "Yeah, I was a fundie Christian, but I was different from all the rest! I was always kind and open-minded and accepting! As soon as I got away from my parents' influence I blossomed into a good person!"
>>
>>81395128
I think we all assumed family meeting meant 'siblings and parents, the whole nuclear group'.

But, I guess we're wrong, and family meeting meant 'how about we siblings talk about how fucked your life is now, away from Becky, who is responsible for most of your current problems'.
>>
>>81394997
And dying their hair red
>>
>>81374054

>I'm black!
>Oh...I'm so sorry.

My fucking sides
>>
>>81395390

I was really expecting this to be Josh coming out as Jocelyn to Joyce. That John already knew and they were going to figure out a way to break the news to their parents.

>>81390338

Jordan is going to be everything Willis wishes he was. Well almost. He's going to be white after all.
>>
>>81395374

While Joyce does have a point with the violence thing (come on, he had a gun and was kidnapping somebody, even if it was a ridiculous storyline), you're completely right about the family gathering thing.

"Becky is family!" is a nice sentiment coming from the sole person in the family with any connection to her, but to anybody else she's just "Joyce's friend". Wanting a "family meeting" is completely reasonable.

Another instance of Willy giving unintentional ambiguity to a situation that allows people to second guess motives when he means to be clear. Ay.
>>
>>81395374
He fucked up when he told Joyce that he wanted her to be reasonable. Calm is fine, but 'reasonable' is insulting.

Still, fuck Willis. Guy keeps making viewpoints that make sense while being hard for characters to come to terms with, and then pushes them the extra step to where no one would want to actually acknowledge them. John just pushed his sister away because Willis refuses to let the other side look decent.
>>
File: why.jpg (33KB, 323x294px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
33KB, 323x294px
>>81394866
>tfw you share a birthday with Willis.
>>
>>81395601
Scene's not over yet, although, if John is saying things like 'you need to recenter' then, Jocelyn definitely isn't out.
>>
>>81395729
>John was acting like that because he didn't want Joyce to be angry and offbalance when Joycelyn came out

It's not even theoretically possible, because Willis has lost the ability to pull that kind of switch.
>>
>>81393846
John's pretty based, desu senpai.
>>
>>81395900

Huh, are you talking about the Allspark forums? They recently had a stupid blowup about asexuality.
>>
>>81393846
>barely-disguised bigotry

Joyce, sweetie, you never told them you had a gun pointed you, and they're being very polite to your freeloading dyke friend who just asked for your brother's social security number. Calm down for a moment, order your meal, and relax.
>>
>>81395729

Nah Josh has been acting really awkward around his brother.

>>81395900

Same as everyone else. "It's just a phase" and then they shrug it off and then the whiny asexual whines about how hard it is even though it's pretty damn easy.
>>
>>81395902
Your bullet point works until he tells her that she needs to leave school and recenter. The very clear subtext there is that she needs to refocus on her christian faith, which is pretty at odds with 'being cool about your bro being your sister now'.
>>
>>81395377
>I came from a Conservative Christian family
>But now I am liberal
>Did I just BLOW YOUR MIND FOLKS!?

Spoiler: No. Not really. There's at least a half a dozen web cartoonists with the ex-Christian background floating around.
>>
>>81392214
Was it ever mentioned why Becky doesn't have a driver's license?

I mean, I don't, but I'm a weirdo.
>>
>>81395900
They'd probably act that way because they think it's just a phase they'd grow of, like nihilistic teenagers pretending they don't care about anything which is exactly what most "asexuals" are
>>
>>81396125
Because extremely sheltered life and overbearing parent. Considering how controlling Toedad obviously was, it makes sense for her to not have a DL or know her social. She never needed either of them before this month.
>>
>>81396004

That's what I thought too.

>>81396011

No it was, uh... TvTropes.

>>81396058
>>81396128

Would they even care if it wasn't just a phase? I feel like at worst they'd treat it as a somewhat-interesting oddity (which it would be); more common reaction would be a shrug and relief that at least they're not going to knock up a girl or put peepee in pooper.
>>
>>81396044
>Joyce, sweetie, you never told them you had a gun pointed you
Didn't she tell them over that phone call near the end of the Toe Dad Saga?
>>
>>81395900
>literally being chaste

virtuous/10, would be okay with if you explained what it meant.
>>
File: 17726280042073374167.png (252KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
17726280042073374167.png
252KB, 1000x333px
This is a fairly decent Trump joke
>>
File: smug_kang.png (174KB, 265x258px) Image search: [Google]
smug_kang.png
174KB, 265x258px
>>81395226
> Jenner choosing hers
> hers
>>
>>81395226
I thought the trans meme was to pick a ridiculous and flowery-sounding name. That everyone's embarassed to call you.

Twenty year-olds shouldn't be allowed to name themselves, I swear.
>>
>>81395601
What if Jordan is so tanned that he's darker than Walky?
>>
>>81394866
Now I just want to make an optomistically nice and genuinely pleasant birthday card signed "Happy Birthday, love 4chan", but I know he'd just block me
>>
Also as it turns out you can get blocked on Patreon for stealing from the feed and avoiding payment at the end of the month

I didn't get blocked by Willis but by another guy
>>
>>81396340

They don't really get past "It's just a phase" ideal and it's barely an issue. You get sick of hearing it but there's no being thrown out of the house or being told you're going against God. It's just not having sexual desires it's a non-issue in their eyes to be shrugged off.

Also I didn't know Walky was allowed on TVTropes.

Mostly because I thought All Spark and Tumblr were the only communities he was still welcome. Though it doesn't surprise me since TVTropes is garbage.

Got any good screencaps?
>>
>>81396393

Wow. This has got to be the laziest strip I've ever seen him do.

It's literally the exact same picture with minor alterations to her expression.
>>
File: walky.jpg (547KB, 1628x2614px) Image search: [Google]
walky.jpg
547KB, 1628x2614px
>>81396510

>welcome

Yeah, he's totally still welcome on the Allspark. Totally.
>>
>>81396510

It wasn't Walky, just some fans.

And yes I have some screens, but the powers-that-be frown upon their posting. I got banned last time I posted something.

>People post comics that others have to pay to see
>"That's fine, carry on"
>People post screens of mentally-unfit idiots jerking off to Willy's shit
>"You scum, banned for 24 hours, do it again and I'll shit my pants."
>>
>>81395724
Happy Birthday, anon!
>>
>>81396044
>you never told them you had a gun pointed you
Wouldn't that have been in the news? And if the gun in Joyce's face was new information, then her brother doesn't bat an eye or give a fuck.
>>
>>81396340
>treat it as a somewhat-interesting oddity
Most likely, unless they're one of the sects REALLY into being fruitful.
>>
>>81396011
>They recently had a stupid blowup about asexuality.
What now?
>>
>>81396604

Cheetimus might bitch at him here but he made him a custom Hotshot as a gift once. He usually charges a lot for them and retards do seem to buy them. The two are on generally good terms though.

Allspark members will put him in his place and keep him in line if they have to, and he damn well pushes it sometimes, but they generally tolerate and welcome him there. Begrudgingly, but he's welcome.
>>
>>81396393
MAGA Robin?

>>81396452
Do it anyway, be the hero we deserve. Bonus points if you use a crusader Mary pic.
>>
>>81354912
>Where, John? At her school, where she's been kicked out?
>Yes, her school. Becky could ask them for a transcript. Need me to drive you to the campus office on Monday?
>WOW, THANKS, JOHN, YOU'RE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES!
>I don't know what you mean by that, but thank you.
>>
>>81396128
Why would a Nihilistic person even consider himself to be nihilist.
Wouldn't they care too little about their own identity to join a subclass or something? That's where you realize how bullshit this sounds on most teenagers.
>>
>>81356731
John the best.
>>
>>81397469
Honestly, throughout history when were people killed for being asexual? When were people bullied for being asexual? When were people disowned by their own family for being asexual? It's stupid. There is no heavy stigma against it. Any "hardships" they face pales in comparison to what would happened if you were a homosexual.
>>
Mods deleting on-topic conversation for arbitrary reasons. Again.
>>
>>81397769
Being asexual, the worst thing that happens to you is people say "Pff, what? That's not a real thing." or you have trouble forming intimate relationships because everyone wants to fuck.
>>
>>81397958

On topic my ass we're complaining about All Spark being a den of shitty people.
>>
>>81372831
Everybody's parents should pull their kid out of that piece of shit school.
>>
>>81398006
True. We should be talking about Becky.
>>
>>81398006

I was more referring to sexuality and such. Though dipping into Transformers is fully appropriate too, considering the author.

Wonder why mods are so assmad about these threads anyway. Banning people out of the blue for completely fickle and unfounded reasons is childish. I wonder if one of them is a Willy fan...
>>
>>81397592
Because Nihilism is not what you think it is. It's fairly similar to existentialism.
>>
>>81397958
DoA threads have been heavily moderated lately.
>>
>>81398407
Maybe we have a splinter cell.
>>
>>81395656
Exactly. Like I'm just imagining situations where you might have a genuinely serious family meeting - shit like announcing a divorce or holding an intervention for a sibling.

Like fuck, can you imagine a couple of parents breaking the news to their kids that dad's got cancer, and then suddenly IN COMES BECKY with some snarky fucking quip to see how she can drive home the fact that everything is really about her.
>>
>>81356731
I didn't realize she was from the Uchiha Clan.
>>
>>81394372
Willis has been reading some blog posts about condescending, overbearing "rational men" and tone policing, so he decided to make a few strips demonstrating a cartoon version of these events to show that HE GETS IT, MAN, HE'S NOT LIKE OTHER GUYS. Then, since he didn't actually ever have a plan to build off of these events he just had Joyce and Becky leave the restaurant they had spent 5 or so strips traveling to. In the end, we're left with about a month's worth of strips that serve no purpose whatsoever.

C'est la vie.
>>
>>81398407
Have they? Because the only appropriate response I can think of to seeing one is to delete it.
>>
>>81398947
You are in a DoA thread right now.
>>
>>81398689
You could also interpret it as Becky intruding because, outside of Joyce, she doesn't have anyone else. She and Dina have been seeing each other for maybe a week and a half at this point.

Alternately, the reason why Joyce keeps insisting Becky come along is because she's projecting onto Becky or using her as a crutch while she works out her issues with her family.
>>
>>81398689

Part of the reason I don't care for Becky is because I've known somebody like her (down to the looks) and while she was admittedly alot of fun to be around when you were in the mood for it, she either couldn't turn it off or it was, in the end, the product of a not-so-great personality.

In my experience, people like Becky aren't actually good friends. The problem with these "wacky" girls is they tend to be highly immature, unwilling to grow up or think too much; as such, the people around them are treated very much like toys, to be held on to for a while, fawned over and shown affection, then disgarded once boredom sets in.

IMO, Becky is a highly unrealistic character.
>>
>>81399318
Even if they play up the fact that Becky's Oh so wacky personality is a defense mechanism it still makes her feel very fake. I would never be comfortable around such a person and eventually it'd put me off. It's not a desireable personality trait and it's something that you should tell her to not do, not just ignore/encourage her to be herself.
>>
>>81399318

She's very realistic. Annoying people like that do exist. The thing is she doesn't have realistic relationships with her friends.

She's a more obnoxious Robin. But while Robin was annoying everyone called her out on it. She was told she was an nuance. Sure they wanted to be friends with her but the characters grasped she was annoying.

With Becky no one has that. They view her as a lovable scamp that needs protecting. All plots converge at Becky. All plots are about Becky, even when they should not be. Anything about Becky you don't like is because of homophobia in or out of story.

She's just a terrible tumor on the plot and an even worse crutch that makes writing easier for Willis to stir drama up from all sides.
>>
File: outgoing.png (57KB, 800x216px) Image search: [Google]
outgoing.png
57KB, 800x216px
>>81399516
I miss Robin...and by Robin I mean the Shortpacked run before willis made it his life goal to vent all of his many issues through his art nonstop until that's all it is anymore.

I keep remembering finding his stuff for the first time and reading all of it. How did it get so much worse!?
>>
>>81399717

I miss Mike.

He can't be an asshole anymore and that's his whole schtick. He's already been called out for "slutshaming" by Willy's fans; there's no place for someone whose humor focuses entirely around triggering people amongst his readers.
>>
>>81399717

The key to having an annoying character is they need something endearing to them or they need to be called out on it to some degree.

Becky has nothing endearing. Being a lesbian is not endearing. It's not a thing you build a character on. It's meant to be a secondary trait.
>>
God why are the Dumbing With Age comments so cancerous
>>
>>81399853
>Being a lesbian is not endearing. It's not a thing you build a character on.

You can build a character on it, you just can't build a character in an ensemble, gag a day, soap opera comic on it. It's something that requires focus and character building.
>>
>>81399853
If, when describing a character you're inclined to immediately name their race, or sexuality, they're PROBABLY a weak character without a lot to them.
>>
>>81399848
>He's already been called out for "slutshaming" by Willy's fans
You've got to be kidding me.
>>
>>81400343

Mike is loved by the older fans but the newer ones really dislike him. Same with Joe.
>>
File: 2015-05-02-rivalry[1].png (425KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-02-rivalry[1].png
425KB, 1000x333px
>>81399516
The Robin example is perfect. Amber was constantly mad about her shit, and it actually got to a point where she got fed up and let her have it.

Afterwards, Robin told Amber that she would keep her insecurities to herself because Amber is capable of being mean when provoked. However, no blame was placed on Amber for not taking Robin's bullshit in stride. (Carla and Mary parallels)

Fast forward to DoA and Becky is being a douche to the nicest character in the strip (see image), and all Dorothy's ex and current boyfriend do is sort of lament her attitude after she's gone. Why not react? Say she's out of line! No, we can't have that because she's in a bad situation, which gives her free reign to sort of be a dick to everyone around her if she feels like it.

And on the other side, the people who care about her that have noticed her awkward behaviour don't ever ask if she's okay.

Instead she exists in this state of just doing whatever and having people sort of treat her as if she's not a real person who's expected to behave like a real person sometimes.
>>
>>81395055
The only 3 m2f transgender people I know irl all changed their names to Julie. I legitimately thought that was a thing... Add breasts, change name to Julie. Then Caitlyn happened.
>>
>>81356860
John had better watch out. In some universes, a Joyce that angry leaves bodies with more holes in their heads than is medically recommended.
>>
>>81357427
She is intentionally withholding that information out of fear that they would take her out of school for her own safety.
>>
>>81360363
Kurt Busiek also talks constantly about how fucking gigantic his reading backlog is.

He may have read like half of the first book or something and enjoyed it.
>>
>>81400516
I think people would have less of a problem with her if Becky wasn't subsisting on a level of charity that'd make Jesus proud.
>>
>>81393846
>I thought I was going to die
Did Toedad even speak to Joyce? besides that time she punched him?
>>
>>81394372
>And why is the older bro being such a dick?

You know, now that I think about it, he almost never sees his family, to the extent that his sister has never even met his wife.

It's possible he never sees them because he doesn't doesn't like to spend time with them, can only force himself to do so very occasionally, and has very little patience left over for any drama or bullshit.
>>
>>81369802
I'm 28 and I don't know my SSN. It's on a card in my firesafe, whenever I need it (which is not often) I just look at the card.
>>
>>81401303
Joyce was with Becky right before Toedad took her away.
>>
File: 5buKxIB.jpg (56KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
5buKxIB.jpg
56KB, 500x398px
>>81400516
>I don't like you, you don't like me
>I like you
Did Willy really just straight up steal a joke from The Simpsons?
>>
>>81395055

My friend didn't, but her name was pretty gender-neutral anyway so she just changed the spelling.
>>
>>81401634
>her
>>
>>81389108

But you have it.

My parents gave me the card when I was 18, right out of our firesafe even though I was still living at home and told me "It's your responsibility now don't fuck it up"

I put it in a DVD case for safe keeping and forgot which one almost right away.
>>
>>81399053

I think Joyce is doubling down on her friendship and protectiveness of Becky because she's afraid her parents are going to forbid Joyce from seeing her. Also, throughout the strip she's been VERY resolute about sticking by her friends, even when she's known those friends for all of two weeks; it only makes sense that she'd be even more so for a lifelong bestie that doesn't really have anyone else in the world.

Even Becky, in this chapter, has started to notice that Joyce is breaking under the strain, and Becky's as dumb as a pile of bricks.
>>
>>81401892

Like a month and she's willing to die for every last one of them.

Willis had done a terrible job at this timeline. Joyce should still be in the semi-awkward phase with her friends.

Becky I get. Childhood friend and the sister she always wanted but will never have.

But her bonds with all the other characters is too strong. They really should be at least halfway into Freshman year.
>>
>>81373055
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK
>>
>>81354912
Joyce really has no reason to get testy there that fifth panel. He's right, Becky should THINK about what she says before she says it. Why is Joyce getting angry at basic common sense?
>>
>>81402012
Could have just made Joyce the clingy, overbearing but not enough to actively avoid her, type. She could be all like, "Yay, besties!" while everyone else is, "Shit girl, calm down. We've known each other for a month."

Either that or you could parallel her to her mother and Toedad.

>>81402016
Joyce is not for lewd.

She totally is but there is no way I'm committing my JoycexJocelyn idea to paper.
>>
>>81359919

How do you have diner?
>>
>>81369299

That whole invited herself thing still grates on me
>>
>>81402568
Technically she asked Joyce and Joyce was like "Yeah sure." She didn't just say "I'm coming with you!"
>>
>>81394372
Is he being a dick? Joyce is throwing a tantrum in a public place 2 minutes into seeing him for the first time in ages, so he's removing himself from the situation until she calms down. Seems like a pretty good choice to me
>>
>>81385535

I just noticed Joyce resembles Galasso while screaming
>>
>>81402678
He's being a dick in a passive-aggressive and dismissive kind of way. It's all ham-handed and stilted, but that's Willy for ya.
>>
>>81402723
Willis has same face syndrome a lot of the time
>>
>>81402974
Also same hair. Everyone has the same 3 bangs.
>>
>>81403121
if your shortstack you're probably going to have Amber hair according to Willis
>>
>>81403190
What?How does that logic even follow?
>>
>>81403369
>according to Willis
>>
>>81393946

Schadenfreude.

Because no matter our faults. No matter how broken any of us may be.

At least we aren't THIS pathetic, batshit insane, deluded piece of shit excuse for a human being.
>>
>>81393846

John's supposed to be in the wrong. But he just comes off as being right.
>>
File: 1268646991842.gif (339KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1268646991842.gif
339KB, 346x346px
>>81395724

Happy Birthday!

Have something adorable.
>>
File: Do It Faggot Arbuckle.jpg (35KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
Do It Faggot Arbuckle.jpg
35KB, 600x610px
>>81396452
>>
File: David Willis.png (257KB, 720x563px) Image search: [Google]
David Willis.png
257KB, 720x563px
always relevant
>>
We all think Joyce is the self-insert, but really it's Becky. Think about it - every strip has had an obnoxious flippant girl character, and as soon as she matures a little Willis introduces another obnoxious girl to take her place. Joyce -> Robin -> Malaya -> Becky + Carla, great now there are two of them. (And apparently the first Walkyverse strip, Sly Sirs, had Sal like that too, but it's not online and probably doesn't exist anymore.)
>>
>>81393846

>third panel

Where are his EYEBROWS?
>>
>>81407366
Left eyebrows have a habit of getting sick of the conversation and leaving through this whole meal.
>>
>>81407170
Joyce is not a self insert, and that's not what self insert means. It just means Willis is a one trick pony.
>>
>>81405725
He'll just have to settle with his $70,000 in internet money. Ka-Ching!
>>
>>81360410
Probably a good assumption. Ol' Bex probably expects people to line up to give her a job. That or she just half-assedly fills out one application every few weeks and then complains that she can't find anything.

I should know, that's how I was
>>
>>81401102
I think people would have less of a problem with Becky if the other main characters reacted to her like normal fucking human beings.

The problem is that all the main characters act like cult members instead of well adjusted people - screaming at and threatening and cutting themselves off from anyone who dares insult The Great and Glorious Becky, no matter how much of a fucking bitch she acts like to everyone.
>>
>>81400500
Ah so that's why he's hardly ever on screen anymore. Ethan and Jacob haven't really been around either, but that might be because he's been focused on his meta-plots for months.
>>
>>81356918
She can also just go request a new one if she has enough documentation to prove who she is without it.

But seriously, how the fuck do so many people NOT know their soc? It's nine digits that you're going to have to remember for every job application, loan application, hospital visit, yadda yadda.
>>
>>81360410
Probably not. She's 18 and also incredibly sheltered. I'm 21 and the only job I've ever had was based on nepotism.
>>
>>81408306
There's also the "I'm gonna fill out X number of job applications I'm not interested in so I can keep collecting unemployment" approach.
>>
>>81360410
Seems like a reasonable conclusion... but how the fuck do you get that far in life without working a single fucking job? It's not like she's coming from a wealthy, privileged life.

Fuck, man, I got my first part time job when I was 14.
>>
>>81393846
Christ, look how fucking terrified Josh looks in the last panel.
>>
>>81408500
I'm 23 and still jobless. Shit happened from so I basically had no chance of getting a job when most people do, around age 16, then that shit disqualified me for a lot of jobs, and then once you hit age 20 and you've got 0 experience and you can't go the burger flipping route where no one gives a shit, it just gets harder every year.
>>
>>81408887
Nigga, get a damn job!

Literally... right now... shut down the computer, go find a newspaper, check the classifieds, and apply for a minimum of five jobs.

Don't even reply to me - go - now.
>>
>>81377948

They tried that first, it didn't work. Things only improved after Stonewall.
>>
>>81408974
Actually if you ask some high-ranking Democrats like Joe Biden, most of the gay rights progress came from 90's era shows like Will and Grace making people more supportive of same-sex marriage and equal treatment

Stonewall accomplished relatively little in the long run, the total lack of sympathy for gay people was one of the reasons the AIDS crisis of the 80's happened so fast and so hard
>>
>>81408887
Why can't you go the burger flipping route? Medical stuff?
>>
>>81388329

Hell, I only memorized mine when I got to college. Had the card in my bedroom but only used it to get my high school job and then never needed it.

For some reason the college I went to was using SSNs for student IDs, so I memorized mine really quickly after that. Fortunately they realized how retarded the practice was by Sophomore year.
>>
>>81391568

can't remember where off the top of my head but in one state where you have to get an ID most of the DMVs in overwhelmingly poor or ethnic neighborhoods have closed down, effectively preventing many in those neighborhoods from voting

also can't remember who but a republican staffer outright said these laws are great for them
>>
>>81396490

Good
>>
>>81398272

I think the one or two anons who came to EVERY THREAD going abloobloobloo why are you reading this if you hate it must have just started reporting every single post they didn't like. For weeks.

It infuriates me screencapping or copy-pasting Cerebus's insane panel analyses is a bannable offense now.
>>
>>81399848

He's redundant now. Even if he was just being an annoying prick saying thoughtless things, that's HALF THE CAST.
>>
>>81409096
Yeah, I'm a bit crippled. Anything that even requires a lot of standing just isn't going to work out. I've tried applying for a few secretary-esque jobs but my social skills are lacking too so that hasn't worked out so well either.
>>
http://mutant-aesthetic.tumblr.com/post/142183983340/why-dumbing-of-age-is-a-shit-webcomic-and-david

did I do good /co/
>>
>>81408947
Nah. I'm taking 6 classes this semester, I'd rather wait a few more weeks until I'm on the summer semester where I'm only taking one class before I go on another big job hunt.
>>
>>81409078

My point isn't so much that militant rioting is the way to go, it's that trying to keep your head down and stay invisible did absolutely nothing for the movement.
>>
>>81409425
No. This is worse then Willis.
>>
>>81409425
I'd argue against that first point. Joyce screaming at him makes sense for her character. It's not polite, but it's not unreasonable. Like obviously you would ideally want to be civil and cooperative, but that's not how it works. We're emotional creatures and Joyce is at the end of her rope. The proposed comic you said also sounds kind of shit for that reason. Like it'd feel like he's backtracking or something. I dunno. I disagree with Willis but I also disagree with this.
>>
>>81394823
He's not calm and collected though, he's being kind of an asshole. Becky makes what is obviously a joke about the how not knowing her social is making it hard for her to find work, and John just tells her to find it, like it's no big deal. There are ways for her to find her number, but she obviously doesn't know them, being a super sheltered 19 year old, and instead of offering any sympathy towards what is obviously a very difficult situation, he just says "well, maybe you should have thought of that before running away from the man so deranged and abusive he tried to bring you back home with a shotgun."
>>
>>81360410
Just because she doesn't know it by memory doesn't mean she hasn't used it. It's not like everyone instantly memorizes their number the second they write it on a form, it certainly took me a few years.
>>
>>81360410
Probably. She's a sheltered 18 year old from a small town. Not that unusual to have not looked for a job before College.
>>
>>81409561
>I disagree with Willis but I also disagree with this.

For me, the major problem is that John seemingly shows no compassion for the shit Joyce has been through. When your sister mentions having almost been killed, you'd have to be a real monster to talk about how she should calm down. At the very least he could've said "I do care, I'm glad you made it through that safely, I can't imagine how that must've felt, but I'm worried you've let that experience change who you are." That would've had some humanity, some shittiness and some truth. But instead John is a robot. BEEP BOOP, JOYCE MAD, ABORT FAMILY LUNCH.

Also, while she did have that shitty party experience which lead to her agoraphobia, generally Joyce has kept her insanely positive attitude until drama related to her hometown started to seep in. It's not really fair/accurate to blame all that on "college" and the crowd she's fallen in with.
>>
>>81411016
Right, the guy's just being a compassionless dick right now to both Joyce and Becky.
>>
>>81411016
>BEEP BOOP, JOYCE MAD, ABORT FAMILY LUNCH.

I think the thing right now is he doesn't actually know shit. He didn't know how her hand got hurt, as in didn't seem to have any idea how it might have happened, which doesn't mesh with him being aware Joyce was in a violent episode involving a car chase and guns.

He's also not presenting himself as overly concerned with the problems themselves, or offering solutions to those problems, just pointing them out negatively.
>>
>>81412554
Yeah, he's mostly concerned about the way she's reacting to her problems then he is with the actual problems, which as a brother is pretty shitty.
>>
File: ofcourseshemad.png (341KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
ofcourseshemad.png
341KB, 1000x333px
>>81393846

make more edits
>>
>>81412554
Right. He doesn't even bother to ask why Joyce punched Becky's dad, but he knows it was an over-reaction.
>>
File: SPOTTHEMISSINGEYEBROW.png (333KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
SPOTTHEMISSINGEYEBROW.png
333KB, 1000x333px
>>81415048

wasn't too happy with the first take, forgot to add the missing eyebrow
>>
>>81415503
>Pakistan
>>
>>81415503
Really "worse things happen at sea"
that actually manages to make him look like an even bigger dick
>>
>>81415841

Make more edits
>>
>>81408034
>that's not what self insert means
It's what it used to mean dammit.
But fine, author surrogate, happy now?

And anyone who's interacted with him knows, there's a lot of Robin/Malaya/Becky in him, and not in a good way.
>>
>>81416337

It's really more of a "Worse things happened to me" type of deal.
>>
>>81416840
Still something only an emotionally stunted robot would say to his own sister. For shame editanon you can do better
>>
>>81411016

I was operating under the premise that John had little to no idea what had happened to Joyce, because that's the only way this comic makes any sense at all.
>>
>>81354858
Joyce's family is way more blunt and confrontational than just about any Christian I knew growing up.
>>
>>81354912
These people are all pricks, but also Joyce is stupid, and older prick brother is right about taking other people's soc.
>>
>>81356731
This is one of the least-awful Willis strips I've ever seen.

It's super mundane, but it isn't actively bad.
>>
>>81370306
>a stupid haircut another student could probably do for free
Or a barber's college. Or ANYTHING.
>>81372508
Willis seems to consider therapy - or dealing with any kind of problem - as admitting weakness. I think it ties into his problems with authority figures. Has ANYONE in authority been portrayed in a positive light in this webcomic?
>>81372831
>she's fallen in with a pretty bad crowd
I spent far too much time today considering just who in Joyce's social circle is a good person. Even then, there were a few caveats:

>Sarah (made fun of Joyce behind her back to impress a boy)
>Walky (being written as an idiot in order to make St Sal of Phonetic-Accents as being less of a bitch)
>Dina (got pissed with Joyce, but to be fair Joyce did pull that stupid "We don't KNOW evolution happened!" shit, so she kind of gets a pass)
>Mary (technically in the right, but still kind of a bitch
>Sierra (she IS the kwaifutz haderach, but I'm not sure they've even exchanged two words)
>>81374054
>>81376123
>The dewd is here
YAY! Also, "firend". Sorry.
>>81383001
>>81385535
>>81386001
ALL HAIL THE MSPAINT PERSON WITH LEARNING DIFFICULTIES
>>81391283
>she's obnoxious as shit
Well, that's obv-
>and isn't meant to be looked at as infallible, right?
Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Given how the universe is bending over backwards to make anybody who doesn't like come across as an asshole, I'd say that's unlikely. Really, the "Becky is just using her quirkiness as a facade" seems more like headcanon we all wish was true.
>>81396510
TVTropes has a dedicated amount of Willis fans who will undo any "negative" edits to his stuff. Somebody tried suggesting that Mary was right to not take Carla's shit, and was told that misgendering was the same as murder
>>81399853
There were some genuinely cute moments with her and Dina. I feel bad for the lesbanon dating an autistic girl
>>81401035
See, NOW it makes sense!
>>
>>81413174

Probably because the way Joyce is reacting makes her impossible to work with. How do you help someone who doesn't tell you anything and snaps at you over the slightest misstep? Sibling or not, Joyce isn't in a mental state where productive dialogue can take place.

>>81415502

Nine times out of ten punching someone is normally an overreaction.
>>
>>81417571
Telling her to be calm makes sense. Telling her to be reasonable is telling her that she doesn't have a leg to stand on and her issues aren't valid.
>>
>>81393846
Joyce inviting herself on this trip sure has helped it go smoothly for Joyce.

Good call, Cerberus.
>>
>>81417878
BECKY inviting herself on this trip sure has helped it go smoothly for Joyce.

Good call, Cerberus.
>>
>>81417670

"Reasonable" could just be another word for calm. Plus, Joyce was upset that Becky's unreasonable requests (can I use your SS to commit fraud) aren't being fulfilled. She's not interested in reasonable solutions, she's currently desperate and crazy and not capable of thinking clearly. She needs to come back to reality if she wants to handle her problem. She's being hysterical and impossible to work with, and James has no obligation to put himself through this shit if she's not going to be cooperative.
>>
>>81393846
How is it nobody can tell Josh is a tranny?

It's gonna be the final straw that destroys the family.
>>
>>81417943

That's why I went with my idea of Joyce calling out Becky. At some point Becky has to face the fact that she's done nothing but cause trouble for people. She has to face the consequences of her behavior.
>>
>>81418105
Never gonna happen.
>>
>>81411016
>>81412554
>>81413174
Thank you for explaining why the latest strip was so fucking retarded. No family member, no matter how estranged, would react like this unless there was some DEEP tension with the other person. Willis could be foreshadowing this, but that'd be giving him waaaay too much credit.
>>
>>81418133

The idea is that the strip is being written by someone who isn't an aggressively awful person.
>>
>>81418082
One of those things where the family maintains a determined silence about it
>>
File: 1459656748400.png (340KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
1459656748400.png
340KB, 1000x333px
>>81417011

I see your point

BELIEVE IN ME THAT BELIEVES IN YOU
>>
File: 2015-11-23-honkin[1].png (436KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23-honkin[1].png
436KB, 1000x333px
Now that I think about it, maybe Joyce's mom was the one that told the family what happened, and she lied to make it seem less dire. Both her dad and brother found out about the punch in person.
>>
File: joycesmom.png (410KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
joycesmom.png
410KB, 1000x333px
>>81419130
>>
File: That's 29 spanks.png (372KB, 855x1068px) Image search: [Google]
That's 29 spanks.png
372KB, 855x1068px
Ultra Car, and by an extension Carla is 29 today.
>>
>>81419832

>>81419832

This is probably closer to what a real small town white country mom would react like, desu
>>
>>81377655

Usually it's either the art is complicated enough it takes a couple days to get it right (few webcomics are this advanced) or the creator is lazy or has other things like a day job that slow updates.

Dominic Deegan, whatever else you might say about it, updated pretty much every single day of its run.
>>
>>81420087

Well, I refuse to believe it's the scripting that is taking him so long
>>
>>81374490
ugh, could you just, like..... NOT? ugh I cant even right now
>>
>>81419019
I love the edits in these threads
>>
>>81417943
don't mention cerebus, the janitor will get triggered
>>
>>81401526
I thought it was a Futurama joke.
>>
>>81401698
You don't know if she was a FtM or MtF, Anon.
>>
>>81421600
When in doubt, The Simpsons Already Did It.
>>
>>81421821
Oh wait, Futurama had it continue.

>"Listen, I don't like you, and you don't like me."
>"I like you."
>"Really? What do you like about me?"
And then the scene ends.
>>
>>81422020
In the next scene fry asks
>"Is Leela coming?"
>"I don't know. But I know she likes my "in your face" attitude"
>>
File: CerebusWorse.jpg (131KB, 650x621px) Image search: [Google]
CerebusWorse.jpg
131KB, 650x621px
>>81421456
I think we can mention Cerebus, Dave Sim's infinitely superior comic which when contrasted to DoA (and when you compare Dave and Willis' Patreon accounts) kind of proves most readers care more about whether they buy into the creator's personal beliefs than the quality of the creation itself.

Just not Cerberus.
>>
File: 3-5.png (296KB, 1111x333px) Image search: [Google]
3-5.png
296KB, 1111x333px
The next part in our love story.
>>
>>81377655
Laziness, really. Korean stuff like Tower Of God shows how fast an artist can make webcomic pages if they really apply themselves.

Although to be fair, for most webcomic artists they're only doing it as more of a hobby than a full-time job. And Willis has two infants at home, so I'm really not opposed to him spending less time working.
>>
Just went from the first to last comic in around 3 days. Wew lads. What a ride. Seems like it'll be a daily thing for a long time.
On a side note, when did Carla first be known as trans? Just saw that on the Antagonize (Jan 23, 2016) strip.
>>
>>81423635
It was implied but never outright stated.
>>
>>81423708
Do you know in which strips? I really completely missed this and I don't wanna hunt through a ton of posts for it.
>>
>>81424017
There was one where she called having a dick drawn on her door "a hate crime". And another where she responded to why she doesn't do Roller Derby as "You know why"
>>
File: [flapping arms intensifies].png (278KB, 563x456px) Image search: [Google]
[flapping arms intensifies].png
278KB, 563x456px
>>81354858

But Where's...?
>>
Willis is posting all the cakes with Ultra Car on them and all it makes me think is, "I'm an artist, and I've had characters for as long as I can remember and never ONCE has my mom thought to put them on a cake. How bad could your parents REALLY BE!?"
>>
>>81419130

Is this supposed to make me like Joyce? Because it's not working. She's purposely antagonizing her own mother. She's just going to make her own situation worse. Why should I feel sorry for her when this inevitably blows up in her face? She brought this on herself.
>>
>>81424835
She's just laying some ground rules. She's like "I'm not gonna just pretend all of this stuff doesn't bug me and lie down and take it. So let me get this all out in the open, and if we're gonna have issues later then we're gonna have to throw hands".
Like she's 18. She can legally just never see her mother again until she dies.
>>
>>81424835

Joyce is crazy protective of her friends (see >>81402012), and hasn't taken the time to work through her fear, stress, and anger despite clearly dealing with an unreasonable amount of all three, so it's coming out in unhealthy ways.

I don't care for Willis's writing either, but let's establish something: though his execution is generally flawed, it's clear he's *trying* to make his "good guys" flawed and to give his "bad guys" redeeming factors. /co/ has to stop acting confused whenever one of the "heroes" pulls a dick move.
>>
>>81425142
>make his "good guys" flawed
True, sorta.
>and to give his "bad guys" redeeming factors
Not really. I mean sure /co/ loves Mary and Toedad, but they're obviously 100% evil.
>>
>>81425303

Well in Willis's mind at least. Toedad isn't evil in that he honestly believes he's doing the right thing, most likely the same with Mary. They do hurtful things, but they see it as necessary for a greater good. They don't even see it as being hurtful, they see what they do as helping the kids who just don't get it. They don't try to cause pain, they just accept it as an unfortunate side-effect of what they do.

Meanwhile, the "heroes" just like pissing off people for no conceivable reason. The only way they can come off as justified is if you subscribe to Willis's world view.
>>
>>81423310
Do you have these all posted somewhere else? I haven't been keeping up.
>>
>>81419019
You made that nazi 1000x more reasonable.
>>
>>81354912
What's with the Birdo snouts?
>>
>>81426407

For reference, I'm going by D&D alignment.

Good- helping others, altruism, selflessness
Neutral- looking out for yourself, flexibilty, pragmatism
Evil- hurting others for no reason, spitefulness, sadism

I'm sure Willis finds that system bullshit because privilege or something though
>>
>>81427957
Everyone finds D&D alignments to be bullshit, because a 9x9 grid can't reasonably model human ethics.
>>
>>81393846
>Whaaa!
>My brother won't let my girlfriend use his social security number!

Ok, I need to see screen caps as proof that people actually support her.
In refuse to believe anyone thinks she is right.
>>
>>81428261
We can't anymore. It's a bannable offense now for "off topic".
>>
>>81428255
It's mostly bullshit because people misinterperate the alignments, and use them like a straight jacket.

Law-Chaos is the authoritarian/libertarian axis.
While Good/Evil is the over simplified axis.

Obviously, helping others is a morally laudable action, but what is it when the consequences of a conceptually good deed leads to a terrible outcome. (See, the welfare state.)

Really, the it would be communal-individualist scale. But, it is a system for a High Fantasy setting. Where Gods and Demons battle for the fate of mortal souls.
>>
>>81401102
She would be a better character if she actually got what she deserves.
But no, the only time something bad happens to her we are told to feel pity for her.

It's like watching Gary Oak always win and never seeing his oh so satisfying defeat and crying cheerleaders.
>>
>>81428461
What alignment is Batman?
>>
>>81428653
Pretty much every superhero would be lawful good.

They fight to uphold law and order, some stand for freedom. I would actually put Cap in CG, because he stands for American Individualism as much as anything.

But, overall, pretty much every hero would be LG.
>>
File: 2015-10-16-troopers.png (400KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-16-troopers.png
400KB, 1000x333px
>>81425303
>Toedad is obviously 100% evil.

Sometimes I wonder if /co/ even reads the comics it hates so much, or if it just regurgitates what everyone else in the thread is saying.
>>
>>81428255
>Everyone finds D&D alignments to be bullshit, because a 9x9 grid can't reasonably model human ethics

Because D&D WASN'T a 9x9 alignment grid originally, it was a spectrum going from Law -> Chaos.

And - here's the thing. The edition that introduced the Good <-> Evil alignment axis?

It went out of its way to point out that Good and Evil are subjective.

>Remember, however, that goodness has no absolute values. Although many things are commonly accepted as good (helping those in need, protecting the weak), different cultures impose their own interpretations on what is good and what is evil. - 2nd Edition PHB
>>
>>81428561
LGBT folks have it shit in real life, and shit in a lot of fiction, so to counteract that Willis has set up the Dumbiverse so Becky cannot fail, she can only be failed.

I kinda see where he's coming from, but the execution is so very painful...
>>
>>81427560

http://freakanimes.com/collegeusa/

There you go.
>>
>>81428962
See, I'd give Willis Credit for this, if he didn't make it very clear that he's portraying Toedad in such a way that he doesn't like Becky, he just likes the idealized version of her he can control, and when she's not that anymore he stops giving a shit about her.
He actually says something along those lines. As if he's just never experienced love before, what the hell.
>>
>>81429027
it's the worst kind of wish fulfillment. He's not even LGBT, he has a wive and kids and seeing or drawing a dick makes him ass barfy
>>
>>81429099
Which is why he needs to work extra hard to redeem himself in the eyes of the social justice community, who, let's face it, are mostly overprivileged white kids doing it for the same reason.
>>
>>81429058
From what you've posted in thread and the comic itself I find it interesting.
You hit most of the same Story beats (especially at the begining) and even similar character archetypes while still changing enough that I wouldn't immediately notice it's a blatant rip-off.

Art could use work and you REALLY need to work on making sure your dialogue reads from left to right as often as possible.

The humor is really crude but I guess that's the point. It gets to the point where it's not even funny as a parody in places so I'd say dial it back a bit. I'd say "not Joyce" always looks like she's drawn wrong. I can't put my finger on it.

It could be WAY better, but I guess since it's primary reason for existing is mostly taking the piss, I can't be to harsh in my criticism. Part of me would like to see it slowly evolve into something better, Kind of like It Hurts did.
>>
>>81408268

No one would still want to be him, even WITH "Internet money"
>>
>>81429748
He has a wife and kids. And that was when this was just a hobby.
>>
>>81406821
I hate people who hide behind their shitty writing like that, because... well, how the fuck are you supposed to explain it when they are supposed to be unlikable?

An unlikable character who is full of themselves is important in some stories, they provide contrast, conflict, and even a place for the character in question to grow. They should never be used to show how good a protagonist is because of what they AREN'T, but they're a wonderful way to provide a challenge that reasonable words can't resolve, so the character in question has to actually work to overcome it. More than that, they can be wonderful as the protagonist, someone who's got to overcome their personal flaws and really develop as a character. As much as breaking down the better parts of humanity can make for engaging work, so can building those parts in where they had previously been vacant. Or hell, they make for amazing sources of comedy, even! Boringly Cartoonish if used wrong, but an invaluable source of scenarios if used properly. Being a bad person can be funny, as much as it can be engaging.

Terrible people have a place in stories besides stock badguys with no personality who the hero defeat, damn it. And yes, you are supposed to find them terrible, that's the point!
>>
>>81411092

Neither really deserve compassion.

I don't blame him for leaving one bit./ Joyce is being a psycho hose beast.
>>
>>81417011

he IS right, though.
>>
File: 1418722.gif (336KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1418722.gif
336KB, 200x200px
>>81417555
>Somebody tried suggesting that Mary was right to not take Carla's shit, and was told that misgendering was the same as murder

Seriously?
>>
>>81429027

>LGBT folks have it shit in real life and in fiction

Not really? We're people, we don't have some sort of magical shared experience. I've experienced some shit, nothing major. My boyfriend experienced virtually nothing rough because of his sexuality. I'm not gonna identify with the gay characters just because I'm gay. Like if my boyfriend was as shit as Willis's LGBT characters, I'd unapologetically dump his ass.

>>81430450

I can buy it. I know some nice trannies but the community at large is fucking insane, holy shit.
>>
>>81430511
I feel like Willis would dismiss your claim because you didn't have the "gay experience" growing up
>>
>>81430589
It's the most I can do to not mention how I haven't had anything really racist happen to me despite being black growing up in the south because people would start using it to devalue my opinions.
>>
>>81429027
>LGBT folks have it shit in real life

Good. Serves them right for being degenerates.
>>
>>81430589
Willis dismisses all things that don't adhere to his world view. If you try to show him a large complicated world you just get banned.
>>
>>81429728
Yeah, I do plan on dialing stuff back a bit. Thanks for the crit! I will try to improve!

Also, the story is slowly going to stray away from wilis's plots, this chapter that I'm doing right now especially has a moment that changes a lot of things.

But honestly, this is the comic that I only do for fun, my other comic I take a little bit more seriously.
>>
>>81430511
>but the community at large is fucking insane
Gee, who would have guessed that a community unified by a certified mental disorder would be way the fuck out there crazy.
>>
>>81429907

If Walky is what happens when you have success and fame, I think Id prefer my anonymity.

Who wants to become well known enough so that people can start compiling and archiving everything you say and do.

Nothing's worth getting listed in Encyclopedia Dramatica
>>
>>81430938
>Nothing's worth getting listed in Encyclopedia Dramatica
I happen to find it an achievement.
>>
>>81430755
>>81430826
HA, that's so funny. You funny.
>>
>>81431049
They did bring AIDS to the US.
>>
>>81428962
>cancer is satan
>homosexuality is satan
Your dad showing up to shoot you and die is god's will?
>>
>>81430589

Well in his defense I didn't know I was bi until I was 17 (was in denial for a few years prior) and despite having hardline evangelical grandparents that I felt uncomfortable around I was never in any immediate threat. The only people I legitimately feared finding out about my sexuality were nonwhites so I guess that doesn't count.

>>81430826

Like it's not the dysphoria though- there are transfolk who confront the issue without losing their minds. It's that the "community" is a toxic circlejerk that enforces neurosis and a shitty "us against the world" mentality. I blame the "solidarity" concept which leads to hiveminds.

>>81430938

The internet has a short attention span. The trick is making it easy to disappear. You can vanish well enough if you're paranoid enough to think ahead like I was.

>>81431151

Nah, blame the haitians for that.
>>
File: 29 spanks.png (178KB, 556x507px) Image search: [Google]
29 spanks.png
178KB, 556x507px
>>81419874
>>
>>81429326
>>81429099
>Sorry!
>Look, just stop apologizing and--
>SORRRYYY!
>Oh for fuck's sake...
>>
>>81431579
You're a treasure.
>>
Where's the comic
>>
>>81431699
Nobody in the SJ community says "stop apologizing." If you are in a marginalized/oppressed/whatever group and you say anything against the SJ narrative, it's "false consciousness" or "internalized bigotry" or something like that.

Basically, imagine the social justice internet as a few people who took sociology or gender studies as a freshman in college, got a B- and think this qualifies them as experts, and a lot of people who learned these concepts from these "experts".
>>
>>81416426
I mean, I don't mind people like that, I hang out with people like that and I like Willis characters.
The problem is the writer tho, he is an angry and bitter person who could never get pass with "Traumatic experiences as a child" but you already know this, it has been said in every thread, I just would love if someone just grabbed this characters and do a good story with them, like that fan art dude who hangs around here.
Willis can't copyright characters, he's a loser, all he would probably do is throw a tantrum in social media and shit himself.
>>
Where's the update??
>>
Where is muh new DoA? I just ate a spoon full of bitch and ready to go!
>>
>>81432935
Most of the time the SJ people don't want privileged people to apologize exactly, because that makes it all about you and your guilt. What they want is for you to excoriate yourself for having privilege and act as an ally, which basically means standing up for whatever the community says no matter how stupid or awful it is. Which is really a form of constant apology in stealth.
>>
Why are progressives such retards?
>>
>>81434965
It's basically like a cult. If you're not with the cult you're the enemy.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>81435005

>>81435005

>>81435005
>>
>>81435259
They're the left's equivalent of the Tea Party

Same emphasis on ideological purity and commitment to "the cause" over anything else
>>
Yo the big bro seems a little smarmy but otherwise he is being 100% reasonable. He's offering to help his sister's gf even though hes very religous, but won't yknow, break the law,

This just seems.completely tone deaf, like, how is he the bad guy? At all?
>>
>>81435331
At least the Tea Party doesn't smear cars with feces when they protest.
>>
New thread got deleted.

What the fuck is with the mods lately?
>>
>>81435788
This one isn't in autosage.
>>
>>81435788
>>81435802
The new strip is out. Anyone gonna post it here?
>>
>>81435839
No point until this hits autosage
>>
>>81435328
>>81435788

are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>81435788
Do you want a fucking general or something?
>>
File: 1459754169684.png (364KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
1459754169684.png
364KB, 1000x333px
>>81435839
>>
File: beam_me_up_I'm_done.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
beam_me_up_I'm_done.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>81436096
>a church would buy one of it's employees a mustang

Willis...what?
>>
>>81436063
I don't know, but I bet your face is stupid.
>>
>>81436131
Knowing Willis, Joyce has never met John's wife because she's actually a slave girl from India that the Church gifted him.
>>
>>81436096
Have I driven home the point that John is irredeemable yet!? I don't want there to be a shadow of a doubt that he's an awful guy. You know how much I hate Ambiguity!
>>
>>81436131

At a megachurch, this is easily possible. They aren't exactly known as sterling bastions of integrity and thriftiness.
>>
>>81436337
the issue is we don't know what kind of church Joyce's family is a part of. I assumed they are a part of a small church since Willis loves hammering home that they live in the middle of nowhere but fuck me I don't know
>>
>>81436371

There's over 1500 megachurches in the US. Statistically, odds are good that they're close to at least one. Plus, John may not live with the rest of the family.
>>
>>81436131
As someone who gave up the chance of leading a church because of that kind of corruption... This is actually very plausible.
>>
>>81436371
I grew up in a town of 8000 people, the largest church could hold over a thousand people and literally had a backup church for overflow.
>>
>>81436096
>people might think John was being reasonable in Becky not wanting to take Josh's fucking identity, so I'll make him a closed minded, priveliged, Christian bigot to further my Becky pushing agenda
Holy shit, Willis, what is your problem
>>
>>81436096
>Have someone make several fair and reasonable points
>but he got given a car by his employer
>this means he had it easy, is a hypocrite and invalidates everything he has to say
A guy has to be worth something to be given a company car. Clearly his conversion rate is good.
>>
>>81436317
What's wrong about anything he has said?
>>
>>81436649
Referring to being gay as "sin"
Belittling the trauma of being held at gunpoint

All of his dialogue reads like what someone who feels victimized imagines everyone else is like.
>>
>>81436649
he hasn't said anything wrong, but he's a big meanie which means everything he's said is invalidated
>>
>>81436558

Am I the only person who read that as halfway joking? She knew it was identity theft, she was asking out of frustration and an attempt to make light of the fact that she couldn't do anything without hers, which she didn't know how to find. (Yes, she should know it, but she's 18, and was obviously sheltered. Most teenagers don't need it except for college applications, which it's a safe bet her parents handled.)

>>81436588
And there's nothing off about getting a new car for bringing people over to a specific faith?

>>81436649
>>81436686

If nothing else, suggesting that she needs to give up college and come home because she has a different point of view from him is pretty damn patronizing.
>>
File: 1407563634070.jpg (48KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
1407563634070.jpg
48KB, 500x360px
>>81409925
This woman came from nowhere and he has no idea who she is, or what her sense of humor is like, or what her ribbing threshold is. Yeah, he's being a dick, but not in an intentional way, or in the kind of way where issuing ultimatums and going off like a cannon are justified.

Shit, I'm an emotional wreck who lashes out at tone policing, and you still have to poke at me for a *while* to get fucking laser eyes like Joyce. Her response isn't unwarranted, but it's her IMMEDIATE choice, and that's the problem with the sequence of events. People are actually incredibly willing to tone themselves down a little unless they're just complete, unadulterated assholes, and that effect usually is amplified for family that you're theoretically somewhat close with.

Honestly given the stressors she's been subjected to, the more realistic response, regardless of sex, would be to just have a breakdown rather than a Hulk-off.
>>
>>81436757
I'm pretty sure she was joking too, but then Joyce got super serious and defensive about it and Becky, in a rare turn of events, actually kept her fucking lesbian mouth shut the entire time this meltdown happened. Even if she was joking, no one else was.
>>
>>81436757
>there's nothing off about getting a new car for bringing people over to a specific faith?
Off in moral terms? Depends. Organised religion has always been a businesses. Not fedora tipping, I think it's fine to have personal faith, but anyone who isn't completely blind can surely understand a church functions exactly like a business and always needs to grow its consumer base. Proselytizing is essentially just salesmanship in one of the world's most successful pyramid schemes. If people do well by being part of that and don't think it conflicts with their faith, fair enough. A billion Catholics can't be wrong.

>>81436757
>suggesting that she needs to give up college and come home because she has a different point of view from him is pretty damn patronizing
True, but it looks like just more poor writing by Willis. One moment John thinks college is bad for Joyce, the next he seems to understand perfectly that kids in college are entitled whiny liberal fucks but who soon grow out of this phase when hit by the realities of life.
>>
>>81436683
When has he referred to being gay as sin? I think getting expelled for having sex at a christian college is considered sinning by anyone. This entire storyline could as well be about Becky having had sex with a guy in a small christian community.
>>
>>81436757
What, getting a lower-mid-range sportyish vehicle for an upper-middle-class family who works for a large, international organization, religious or otherwise?
Honestly the dude could have a TaTa Nano and Willis would still find a way to make this jab. It's a lot easier than confronting the man over calling lesbian sex a sin, and qualifies as a 'joke' to some people.

It's pretty patronizing, sure, but combined with the way the scenes are presented he's probably pretty angry about his sister just going off for basically no reason about two bad jokes between people who have literally not talked in years and may as well be strangers. Yeah he's a dick, but I don't really blame him.
>>
>>81436096
>heh
>did you see that?
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was right fucking there. Yet again Willis can't have ambiguity in his antagonists.

I wonder if Willis knows that he's ruining Joyce. She becomes less likable every strip as she becomes more like Willis. I know he says she's autobiographical, but he never almost got raped or shot, so I'm willing to bet everything else in the strip is bullshit that never happened either.
>>
>>81436899
>True, but it looks like just more poor writing by Willis. One moment John thinks college is bad for Joyce, the next he seems to understand perfectly that kids in college are entitled whiny liberal fucks but who soon grow out of this phase when hit by the realities of life.

I don't think that's poor writing, necessarily. The unspoken assumption there is a fear that Joyce WON'T grow out of it. Many people remain liberal, after all.

>>81436929
see >>81436096 "Swept up in some trendy LGBQXYZ-whatever" is a pretty clear indication that the gayness was the sin he was referring to.
>>
>>81436683
>Referring to being gay as "sin"

Well, it IS.

Sins can be forgiven though.
>>
>>81423438
Also Finnish stuff like Stand Still, Stay Silent. A page a day of shocking quality
>>
>>81436131

I'd believe it. Grew up in a church where the pastor had a bunch of high-end cars. A real moron, and with a streak of self-importance too, showing up places and literally going "Bet you didn't expect the big ol' pastor to be down here amongst you".

>>81436096

Again, I'll point out that this guy's pretty much in the wrong in this, but the arc is still stupid and obvious in its "Fuck muh upbringing"
>>
>>81436096
So Willis has definitely hammered home that John doesn't care that his sister was held at gunpoint, because there should be consequences for her actions! Or consequences for the actions her friend took? Look, whatever, all he's saying is Becky's a queer and if you enter her sphere of influence you're liable to be killed by any god fearing relative. That's just how life is. Don't get angry about that.

Willis should've just made Jocelyn stay on target and get John to say that he doesn't care about Joyce's well-being because Becky is gay. Just so we can literally see that crazy stance laid bare. He did it with Ross before, why skirt around it now?

>Crappy nazi jokes aside
Added in post for sure. Although it doesn't even matter if it was, no one seemed to give a shit about it so it's weird to bring it up. John doesn't seem to care at all.

>>81436757
>Am I the only person who read that as halfway joking?
It was definitely a joke, but all of the fallout from it has been surprisingly serious.
>>
>>81417555

>Somebody tried suggesting that Mary was right to not take Carla's shit, and was told that misgendering was the same as murder

Man, it wasn't even that. I told them having a trans girl who just harasses people only to shut down when someone fires back makes them a weak character/bully, and that I believed there are more "robust" transpersons IRL who wouldn't just shut down. The responses were something like:

>I guess I can drive my car on the sidewalk and hit a bunch of people because I believe they can take it.

Like holy fuck, have they never heard "sticks and stones"?
Thread posts: 521
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.