[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Animated in Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

File: 1454117057735.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1454117057735.gif
2MB, 400x300px
Transformers, GI Joe, 80s MLP (I can at least mention that here, right?)

So many 80s cartoons have that anime-ish (at the time) look to parts of it. Want to discuss that?
>>
Anime hadn't yet developed it's kawaii desu ne >w<, so they were basically the same thing in different languages
>>
>>81037114
What the fuck do Weebs mean when they say "anime"?

Seriously, it seems entirely arbitrary

also, how are those Cobras eating with masks on?
>>
>>81037268
In this case, the background desighns often look like really cheep look alakes of backgrounds in contemporary animes.

Ever see a a cliff side, or trees in the background, or something, in like the 80s MLP or Transformers and go 'hey, that kinda looks like how its drawn in pokemon'
>>
>>81037231
God. Why did anime have to go to such shit since then?
>>
>>81037450
Insecure man-children who took to being otaku
>>
>>81037231
>>81037450
Watch more anime
>>
1986 My Little Pony isn't anime-ish at all. What are you talking about?
>>
>>81037450
same reason action cartoons started sucking so much. instead of monetizing something good, it was starting with the business aspect and never once moving past it. too goddamn much meddling by idiot executives who THINK they know what fanboys wnat, but don't. if they did that would be fine.

anyway, yeah, i liked the slight anime look of some old stuff. i remember watching thundercats and realizing particularly at the Lunataks arc that they were getting pretty animetastic. but not enough.
>>
>>81037524
Holy shit, go back to tumblr. Have you forgotten what site you're on.
>>
>>81037782
Good one proving his point.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiC5_qROyMw
>>
Remember M.A.S.K?
That had to be an anime I swear.
>>
savor
>>
Most of those shows only had a few episodes done in japan, the rest were in korea or by Wang Film Animation, shit.
>>
>>81039315
Fuck that was cool.
Also, imagine how disappointed kids in Japan were once the show actually started when they watched the 90s X-Men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
>>
>>81037450
there's still at least 3 enjoyable anime series each season the problem is that in a sea of shit its hard to find them
>>
>>81043479
>CRY FOR THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
it is literally impossible to get tired of this
>>
>>81037576
Anon most modern anime is trash. Not all of it of course. There are gems hidden everywhere but for the most part it's trash that just copies itself with the same set up of Male Protag getting a harem of girls but falling for the tsundere one. Just look at studio ghibli closing as a sign of the times that traditional anime is dead and has been replaced with fanservice waifu crap
>>81037114
That's because that was the style of the 80's for the entire globe basically. Back then there wasnt really any difference between animation from japan or america.
>>
>>81037450
Dude, I use to think like that, but I saw what's been released yearly for the last 30 years. Cute shit is the norm.
>>
>>81037114
The first time I impressed with animation quality as a kid was in the last part of the DuckTales pilot. The whole part after the second commercial cut (starting with when they're about to be boiled in the well) was so buttery smooth that it inspired me to want to get into cartoons at a young age. Nowadays I don't even know what TMS has worked on since the mid-90s.
>>
File: yuru_yuri_756996.jpg (300KB, 1000x776px) Image search: [Google]
yuru_yuri_756996.jpg
300KB, 1000x776px
>>81037450
Dude, That shit has been in anime atleast since early 80s, nothing has chanced.

And i actually like some of those moeshits.
>>
>>81045777
This is for pedophiles, correct?
>>
>>81037231
your ignorance is showing desu
>>
File: 11-miracle-girls-festival-3[1].jpg (291KB, 727x1024px) Image search: [Google]
11-miracle-girls-festival-3[1].jpg
291KB, 727x1024px
>>81045777
>nothing has changed

Moe is so popular today that there was a rhythm game released featuring the cast of 11 series of almost exclusively cute girl characters doing cute things, and these are all series from the past few years.

But since nothing has changed, and it's been around since the early 80s, can you name 11 series throughout the 80s and 90s that feature:
1. Cute girls doing cute things
2. Exclusively or predominantly female characters (maybe some characters have dads or brothers)
3. Are not harems
>>
>>81045878
Well i enjoy this show and i guess it kinda is but
i like it because it is cute.
>>
File: 61aa1350.gif (453KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
61aa1350.gif
453KB, 480x270px
>>81046243
Sure cute girls doing cute things is new thing but moe isnt. But i do admit that somethings has chanced.
But i still like some of those moe shows so i dont mind of it. Have some more moe for you
>>
File: 1435682666453.png (151KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1435682666453.png
151KB, 449x442px
>>81045878
>>
File: BYsDl6k[1].png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
BYsDl6k[1].png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>81046491
Moe is pretty much an umbrella term for cute girls doing cute things. This guy >>81037450 was basically referring to how oversaturated the anime industry is with this kind of stuff.

I personally don't outwardly hate it for the most part, but it is a shame that most of it is trash that is just taking a slot away from a potentially good series. K-ON is my jam, since I'm a sucker for anything that has a strong focus on playing music, and Yuru Yuri is fun since the humor is more crude, and sometimes dark, than what you would expect from girls of that age.
>>
File: noa cute.gif (1024KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
noa cute.gif
1024KB, 500x375px
>>81046748
I do agree that it is oversaturated the anime industry but its not like we can do anything to it.

But have some 80s moe.
>>
>>81046243
Akage no Anne
Candy Candy
Minky Momo
Princess Nine
Mahou Tsukai Tai
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Miracle Girls
Cardcaptor Sakura
Sailor Moon
You're Under Arrest!
Alazukin Chacha
To Heart
Ojamajo Doremi
Creamy Mami
Majokko Megu-chan
Fancy Lala
Corrector Yui
Magical Project S

I could keep going.
>>
>>81047119
Majokko Tickle
Magical Angel Sweet Mint
Floral Magician Mary Bell
Pastel Yumi
Magical Emi
Lalabel
Saint Tail
Hello! Sandybell
Persia the Magic Fairy
Tonde Burin
Cutie Honey
Little Women and Little Women II
Super Doll Licca-chan
Yume no Crayon Oukoku
Cyber Team in Akihabara
Mahoutsukai Chappy

Some of these are from the 70s as well. I could still keep going.
>>
>>81047119
I appreciate it, though most of those feature male characters. Cardcaptor Sakura alone has more male than female, as far as the main/important characters go. Then you have Akazukin Chacha whose two best friends are guys.

Maybe I should have specified what I meant about 'cute girls doing cute things'. I meant the stuff that is massively popular right now, the slice of life stuff, where there is no real plot, no goal, just girls literally doing random shit for the sake of being cute or 'funny'. Also, there's an almost disturbing lack of male characters in them. Like, I think there was a guy in a classroom once in K-ON, and I'm pretty sure they took a bus in Yuru Yuri that had a male bus driver.
>>
>>81046900
Why is Noa so perfect
>>
File: TMS_Entertainment_logo.svg.png (30KB, 800x512px) Image search: [Google]
TMS_Entertainment_logo.svg.png
30KB, 800x512px
A lot of ostensibly Western shows (mainly ones from Mainland Europe - France, Spain, etc)/outsourced their animation to Japanese/Chinese/Korean studios (pic related is one of the best-known) DiC were a big proponent of this

If you want examples of anime-style designs in nominally Western shows, the clearest example, IMO, is Mysterious Cities of Gold.
>>
>>81047316
You are talking about a specific niche of slice of life anime for adult male viewers that started developing in the 90s (the best of my knowledge) then, not moe in its entirety. Moe isn't a genre, it's a nebulous feeling that is elicited in viewers that is connected to having a strong affection for a character.
>>
>>81045377
Bias Yoshinobu Michihata.

Anyway they just did Blue Jacket Lupin III and they were starting to get their act together again as Japan is only as of now is starting drafting (they remilitarized months ago) the fujos that are killing the industry over there and got their old staff back in charged, the fujos at TMS & Telecom were fired just as soon as their episodes of All Out (done by 3 studios, TMS, Telecom & Madhouse) were finished.

They are right now doing something for Warner Bros as hinted by a voice actor, this could be for the upcoming Killing Joke DTV but seeing how he worded it says otherwise, plus Tom Ruegger is in charge of the project due do leaving Disney after pre-production of 7D's second season was finished.

https://twitter.com/Stephen_Stanton/status/595661162403991553
>>
>>81047484
>Mysterious Cities of Gold.
That was from Pierrot (back when they were good).
>>
File: image.png (409KB, 1300x1743px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
409KB, 1300x1743px
>>81047624
Yeah, although the term moeshit is used to describe the SoL stuff in a more derogatory manner. That was more the sense I was going for. But the whole start of this, from earlier in the chain of replies, was some guy mourning for the current state of the anime industry in its excess of SoL stuff. Then another guy said that nothing has changed, and that it has been around since the 80s, though he was just referring to cute characters. Of course, cute characters have literally been a thing in anime and manga since day one, since Osamu Tezuka's artstyle, even in his adult oriented works, is rather cutesy.
>>
>>81037450
Name one good anime from 70s-80s that is not Ghibli.
>>
>>81048940
As far as television series directors go, Osaku Dezaki's stuff is, more often than not, top-notch. A specific one would be Rose of Versailles.
>>
>>81046748
There aren't even that many cutesy shows per season. A good majority are action adventures. Some comedies may have cuteness
>>
>>81045777

Akarin~!
>>
>>81048940
Nice effort.
>>
>>81050553
You're delusional.
>>
>>81037450
tumblr took over western animation, otaku took over the east. Welcome to hell. Moe/kawaii shit has always been around, but it's at a point where creators really can't do a lot unless otaku will pump money into their series.
>>
>>81047807
> was some guy mourning for the current state of the anime industry in its excess of SoL stuff
And even this is a gross misperception.

Yes, there's more SoL these days, and for a few years in the mid 00s they were a strong trend, but moe slice of life specifically has never *dominated* anime releases outright.

What you guys are conflating is a number of vaguely related but separate trends:

1. Cute character design overall replacing the more realistic proportions of the '80s
2. A general drop in '80s style hard sci-fi space operas
3. the rise of light novels (particularly the "magic high school" type) and the adaptation thereof
4. The rise of 4-panel comics and the adaptation thereof
5. otaku's commercial influence during the recession years exerting influence over content in the interim, coupled with their emergence into something resembling the cultural mainstream

And >>81050553 has it right. Especially in the last 5 years or so, there have been at best a handful of "SoL/cute-girls-nothing-happens" shows per season. What you're seeing instead is a general incorporation of cute and moe traits across multiple genres rather than the dominance of a single one. There may not be a lot of shows about girls hanging out in their club room this year, but maybe the big show about robots that fight with swords will have a clumsy big-boobed glasses girl. And so on.
>>
>>81050794
Looking at the spring chart now an I count about 9 "moe" series out of 54. Look, not gonna deny it has its presence ,why wouldn't it, it obviously has a market, but it really isn't this giant, overhearing, anime killing, monster you guys make it out to be.
>>
I LOVE 80's mlp. It seems more...solid than today's bronyfodder. Sure, there's a shitload of animation and coloring errors, but you can tell there was more honest effort. And the characters are more likeable. Whatever happened to Sunbow and Marvel Animation? Back to you, co.
>>
>>81051130
exactly, and unlike a few years ago the moe shows aren't even the most notable ones getting the harder marketing push.

The real cute-girls-cute-things stuff has been pushed to the margins after a brief period in the sun, and even shows that are more aggressively cutesy have involved stronger plotting and sports-show structures.

It was never ALL Lucky Star or K-On, but even since then there hasn't been a primarily moe shoe that struck the same highs of popularity.

It's certainly worthwhile to debate the pervasive influence of moe across anime in general - especially as moe elements enter and sometimes undermine shows that would've been better if played straight, the dominance people claim happened is illusory.
>>
>>81051220

Sunbow was bought out by Sony, and Marvel Animation was eventually part of the Saban/Fox Kids merger before being bought out by Disney.
>>
File: AmuroRay (1).jpg (28KB, 455x452px) Image search: [Google]
AmuroRay (1).jpg
28KB, 455x452px
>>81048940

Gundam.
>>
File: 5464545443.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
5464545443.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiDs-tqDTbY
>>
>>81052091

>Lorenzo Music

This is amazing.
>>
File: Ghostbusters-Cathulhu..jpg (28KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
Ghostbusters-Cathulhu..jpg
28KB, 350x263px
>>81052091
Man, John K is such a fag.
>>
Osamu Tezuka was inspired by Walt Disney and wanted to make cartoons for Japan, however he didn't have the money to make amazingly fluid big budget animation like disney, so his anime used lots of money saving techniques, such as the type of stuff in the OP image. Cartoons from the 80's were low budget children's show made to sell toys, so they used some of these type of techniques to save money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_animation
>>
>>
there was a jem and the holograms poster in zeta gundam if i remember right.
>>
Sometime around 1966 they decided that cartoons shouldn't be cartoons anymore.
>>
>>81037450
lmao @ /co/ckroaches who think they know what's good and what isn't
enjoy your steven universe and mlp
>>
What's the biggest case of this, anyway? I've been meaning to shove this fact up /a/-related boards' asses for some time.
>>
>>81047807
My favorite book ever
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.