[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daniel Clowes on superhero comics and fans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 581
Thread images: 75

File: daniel_clowes-620x412.jpg (728KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
daniel_clowes-620x412.jpg
728KB, 620x412px
>http://www.salon.com/2016/03/19/adult_superhero_fans_make_daniel_clowes_sad_people_need_something_that_has_very_clear_moral_boundaries_i_guess/

>I am laughing at the fact that for years, when we were doing “Eightball” and “Hate” and “Love & Rockets” and stuff, we thought, “What we’re doing is really the mainstream stuff. It’s like comics for adults, that a general audience could read… and only the tiniest niche audience of emotional defectives care about superhero comics.”

>Right. And yet they’re dominating our industry. I remember an artist, Bob Burden, saying, “It’s so random. It would be like if all comics were about pilgrims and then we did comics about normal people and we were looked at as the weirdoes.”

>So that was our thesis, and then to see with the advent of technology where they could actually make these realistic superhero movies, to see that: No, the entire culture is what the comics shop was in 1985. It repudiates our lofty claims. It says more about our culture than anything else. I’m always kind of saddened when 45-year-old parents of my son’s friends can’t wait to go see “The Avengers.” That shouldn’t be for you. [Laughs]

>I think there’s a certain chaos in the world and people need something that has very clear moral boundaries, I guess. I’ve taken my son to see a few of the superhero movies and I just find myself tuning out the minute it starts. It’s just not of any interest to me.

>I’ll leave the movie and a day later I’ll think, “Oh, we should go see that movie.” It’s like I can’t even remember it. And he doesn’t even like them. That’s the thing, he’s sorta like, “Yeah, it was OK.” [Laughs]

>There’s no doubt about it. I find it hilarious when normal people are talking about obscure Marvel characters like they always loved them. It’s like, No you didn’t. [Laughs]

>Yeah, or just like, “Oh, that’s great, I love ‘Iron Man.’” It’s like, No you don’t. [Laughs]
>>
[Laughs]
>>
>>80920631
>I’ve taken my son to see a few of the superhero movies

Im surprised he could ever get his dick in a woman in the first place
>>
File: bitd.jpg (16KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
bitd.jpg
16KB, 255x247px
Oh look, another guy whose oh high and mighty about comics, with his superior patrician taste

[Laughs]
>>
>gib me money pls
keep crying
>>
>>80920649
>[Laughts]
>>
>>80920631
>I'm not as big a success as I could be if only everyone liked my work instead of what's popular
Is there a word for that kind of thinking because it's some of the worst shit
>>
>salon
lol stop, anon
>>
>>80920631
/co/ would gnaw their own mother's throat if she said something about superheroes being immature or something. You would probably stab yourself in the tongue if you ever caught youself sleeptlking shit about superheroes... That's not a board to post this at.
>>
>>80920781
Fuck off, Clowes
>>
>>80920792
I'm Moore ye daft cunt
>>
>Salon

Fuck off.
>>
>>80920631
the inexplicable conquest of the cape genre in itself justifies cape comics treating cape comics as a legitimate artistic framework
>>
>>80920769
dan clowes is a master and has been established as such for a while. he doesn't need help selling books.
>>
>>80920663
>>80920670
>>80920722
>>80920769

>Some rightly criticises adult capeshit fans for being intellectually immature
>insecure manchildren engage in desperate ad hominem attacks

Like fucking clockwork
>>
>stories about heroics will always be the most popular
Why is this so hard for people to understand?
>>
File: Dr Strange kills Billy Batson.png (1MB, 778x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Strange kills Billy Batson.png
1MB, 778x1054px
>>80920631
>>I think there’s a certain chaos in the world and people need something that has very clear moral boundaries

>Modern superhero comics
>Having clear moral boundaries
I don't think Clowes has read any superhero comics in decades. Hickman's Avengers run among others is full of shades of gray.
>>
File: kekuna.png (20KB, 586x550px) Image search: [Google]
kekuna.png
20KB, 586x550px
In December 2013, Shia LaBeouf's short film Howard Cantour.com became available online. Soon thereafter, those familiar with indie comics noticed its remarkable resemblance to Justin M. Damiano, a comic Clowes contributed to the 2008 charity anthology The Book of Other People.[22] The short film was then removed by LaBeouf, who claimed that he was not "copying" Clowes, but rather was "inspired" by him and "got lost in the creative process." LaBeouf later issued several apologies on Twitter, writing, "In my excitement and naiveté as an amateur filmmaker, I got lost in the creative process and neglected to follow proper accreditation", and "I deeply regret the manner in which these events have unfolded and want @danielclowes to know that I have a great respect for his work." Clowes responded by saying "The first I ever heard of the film was this morning when someone sent me a link. I've never spoken to or met Mr. LaBeouf ... I actually can't imagine what was going through his mind."[23]

>Legal representatives of Clowes also sent a cease-and-desist letter to LaBeouf[24][25] concerning another tweet stating he intended to make a second film plagiarizing Clowes.[26]
>>
>>80920892
>stories about heroics will always be the most popular
Well why are the stories about punching, making shitty jokes while punching and MAKING HARD DESICIONS more popular then?
>>
>>80920631
You can like both, can't you?

Just because I like watching Spidey fight with Green Goblin doesn't preclude me from appreciating more nuanced art.

I can understand his disillusionment a bit though; the fact that an entire medium is essentially dominated by a single genre can get a bit tiresome at times.
>>
His take is basically "Stop liking what I don't like", dressed up as critical analysis by using multi-syllabic vocabulary. I can see why Gary Groth loves him.
>>
A lot of these articles roughly translate to "My pretentious slice of life book doesn't sell as well as an Spiderman or Superman, two American cultural icons."
>>
File: 1423778057345.png (207KB, 340x355px) Image search: [Google]
1423778057345.png
207KB, 340x355px
>Wah every adult should be as joyless and elitist as I am
Prick
>>
>>80921016
The fact that capeshit like Spiderman or Superman are American cultural icons says a lot about the lack of maturity of most Americans.
>>
>>80921039
Yeah, he does come of as a cunt.

He has a fair point that there isn't much variation in genre within the comic book industry but
>only the tiniest niche audience of emotional defectives care about superhero comics
>'emotional defectives'
It's a needlessly insulting tone that makes it sound like this is more out of a need to feed a superiority complex than anything else
>>
>>80921001
Yeah, it's weird.
In Manga and Franco-belgian comics you don't see one genre dominating everything.
>>
>>80921067
Hi, Alan.
>>
>>80921067
Doesn't the same apply to the Ancient Greeks telling tales about Hercules?
>>
>>80921001
This. When I started getting into comics, I cut my teeth on Ditko's Spider-Man, Swan's Superman, The Hernandez Brothers' Love & Rockets and Woodring's Frank. I put Harvey Pekar and Moebius above writers like Roy Thomas and Grant Morrison, but I still enjoy Roy's and Grant's stuff as well.
>>80921086
I'm 80% sure I read somewhere that Japan's going through a glut of high school drama manga these days. Damned if I can find the link, though...
>>
File: comeonnow.jpg (30KB, 550x375px) Image search: [Google]
comeonnow.jpg
30KB, 550x375px
>>80921101
Hercules is real.
>>
On one hand, he has a point: there needs to be more variation in the comic book industry - or the Big Two, at least - if it ever hopes to grow. Capeshit won't keep the boat afloat forever.

On the other hand, he has no place trying to police what other adults enjoy.
>>
So according to him I can't enjoy the latest Ms. Marvel while still enjoying stuff like Saga and even his own Ghost World? I can't enjoy Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal while still enjoying Superman?
>>
>>80921165
No you fucking child. Grow up.
>>
>>80920631
>So that was our thesis, and then to see with the advent of technology where they could actually make these realistic superhero movies, to see that: No, the entire culture is what the comics shop was in 1985. It repudiates our lofty claims. It says more about our culture than anything else. I’m always kind of saddened when 45-year-old parents of my son’s friends can’t wait to go see “The Avengers.” That shouldn’t be for you. [Laughs]

I remember people making this claim when Phantom Menace came out. "Hey man, its supposed to be big, dumb and stupid. Star Wars is supposed to be for kids!"

>There’s no doubt about it. I find it hilarious when normal people are talking about obscure Marvel characters like they always loved them. It’s like, No you didn’t. [Laughs]

This is so fucking true and one of those things that has been grinding my gears for years now. Ever since Iron Man came out in 2008 all of the sudden you get these people who think their Marvel comics experts and shit, but like fuck you didn't know who Jessica Jones was before this year. I read the fucking comics when they came out. And I'm supposed to capitulate to this bitch like she owns the fandom?
>>
File: 2015-07-15_20-47-02.jpg (19KB, 462x390px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-15_20-47-02.jpg
19KB, 462x390px
>all this capefag butthurt
>>
>>80921121
you don't even need a source, it's plain to see that a disproportionate amount of manga stars highschool students regardless of the kind of story it is
>>
>>80921181

>these people
>she

wew lad
>>
>>80921195

Anything to keep the NEETs happy, I suppose.
>>
File: quacky.jpg (208KB, 510x624px) Image search: [Google]
quacky.jpg
208KB, 510x624px
>>80920631
Is this guy laughing at people for being secondaries or for liking comics?

Either way he's coming off like an autis.
>>
>>80921181
>DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL
>>
File: Truth Zone 39.jpg (761KB, 1280x1851px) Image search: [Google]
Truth Zone 39.jpg
761KB, 1280x1851px
>Dan Clowes
>>
>>80921207
Whereas capefags are soooo intelligent...
>>
>>80920649
I do hate it when interviewers write that down. It never fails to irk me, no matter the context.
>>
>>80920781
My mom said for years the shit I enjoyed was for kids.
But now superheroes are big, and she's a complete tool who will instantly accept anything if the majority goes along with it so now she has no issue with what I enjoy.

I think the fact she accepts it now just because it's popular pisses me off than when she shit on it for being immature.
>>
>>80921219
>webcomic loser hating on a real creator
You don't say?

>>80921227
Because he's happy and you aren't?
>>
File: 1454460054345.png (114KB, 640x958px) Image search: [Google]
1454460054345.png
114KB, 640x958px
>>80921220
We all know manga and it's readers are superior to comics.
>>
File: img_8560.png (168KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
img_8560.png
168KB, 320x240px
>>80921237
>capes are impopular
>capefags whine
>capes become popular
>capefag whine
>>
>>80921259

>impopular

wut
>>
>>80921067
Yes, only Americans like Superman and Spider-Man.
The rest of the world hates them.
Clearly.
>>
>>80921259
Bad news Freehaven, I filtered you long ago.
>>
>>80921272
>defeated the truck
More like parodies them.
>>
>>80921243
>Because he's happy and you aren't?
Nice projecting m8.
I don't like it because I find it impersonal and awkward when written down. It's not about Clowes, it's about interviews in general.
>>
>>80921259
>impopular
>>
>>80921294
In that case, don't read plays or transcripts, ever.

>>80921302
The 1950s, dude. Do you even capes?
>>
>>80921287
>Not knowing about Japanese Spider-Man
It's not a parody, it was a real show. Spider-Man was so popular in Japan that they made a live-action TV show about him.
"Defeated the truck" is just another example of awkward translation.
>>
>>80921086
manga does but it's more in phases and even shit like naruto ends eventually compared to the big 2 which are eternal
>>
>>80921243
>webcomic loser hating on a real creator
That was just him having fun. He doesn't seem to have a problem with having a blurb of Clowes' recommendation in Megahex.
>>
>>80921322
>It's not a parody, it was a real show
What's the difference? Many Japanese movies and shows look like parodies to me.
>>
>>80921337
that's only because you're a mega-autismo
>>
>>80921336
Understandable; the nly reason why that webcomic loser is there is because Fanta wants some of that tumblr money, so that being it's hard to use "he" or "she" with those LGBTs has to be kind to real creators.
>>
>>80921337
That's beside the point.
Someone said "The fact that capeshit like Spiderman or Superman are American cultural icons says a lot about the lack of maturity of most Americans."
I pointed out that those characters are popular in other countries too.
>>
>>80921337

>Many Japanese movies and shows look like parodies to me.

It's almost as if Japan is an entirely different culture that you don't "get". But that can't be the case, can it?
>>
File: 000.jpg (30KB, 362x408px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
30KB, 362x408px
>>80921349
>2DEEP4U!
>>
>>80921355
Yeah, but they're not a religion in those other countries.
>>
>>80921360
Who are you quoting? I'm just saying not being able to differentiate satire or not is a sure-sign of autism
>>
>>80921379
>satire
Because le manga is DEEP and INTELLECHUL, right?
>>
File: sure okay.png (190KB, 539x565px) Image search: [Google]
sure okay.png
190KB, 539x565px
>>80921360
>>80921388
>>
>>80920914
Yeah, in fact, I recall Chuck Dixon complaining about the exact opposite. He hated how modern comics were grim and gritty and had "moral relativism", which he somehow blamed on liberals.
>>
>>80921388
I'm not defending manga or western comics. I'm just stating the fact that >>80921337 probably has a case of the Auts, is all
>>
>>80921396
>manga is stupid like me
Nice to know we finally agree.

>>80920914
>I don't think Clowes has read any superhero comics in decades.
Why should he? Capes died 20 years ago.
>>
>>80921420
>I'm not defending manga or western comics
Nice backpedaling, bro.

>>80921400
Well, then he shouldn't have written franchises where bad guys usually escape the good guys.
>>
>>80920631
God damn why are comic writers so disgustingly pretentious and full of shit.
Do you think Anton Chekhov whined to everyone because The Importance of Being Earnest was more popular than Three Sisters?
Or did Arthur Miller cry because Annie Get Your Gun was more popular than All My Sons?

Like seriously, why don't these pretentious fucks get that sometimes people just want to have fun.
>>
>>80921437
>le references to famous playwrights
/lit/ pls
>>
>>80920631
Let's leave Clowes' comments aside for a moment.
I read Ghost World and liked it, is the rest of his work worth checking out?
>>
>>80921437
>literature should be stupid like me!
>>
>>80921455
Yes, definitely. Eightball, Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron...

>>80921458
No, they just imply some autism fetish.
>>
>>80921471
>fetish
Throwing around any words you can now, eh?
>>
>>80921165
Ghost World is garbage, possibly the least-interesting thing he's ever done.

Fuck off you fake "fan".
>>
>>80920631
So he's simulatenously insulting comic fans and "fake" fans
>>
File: 4363.jpg (23KB, 613x431px) Image search: [Google]
4363.jpg
23KB, 613x431px
So we can all agree that any person that judges quality entirely on some minute external factor like if the main characters wears a cape and saves people is a complete fucking idiot right?

To say guys like Grant Morrison, Chuck Austen, Alan Moore, Mike Mignola, Scott Lobdell, Moebius etc. are all worthy of the exact same blanket dismissal because of the GENRE that they work in is insane. Yes the comic industry leans HEAVILY in the superhero direction, but that's the history of the industry. That's how it was created and that's how it has supported itself.

I agree that most of the modern movies like the Avengers are terrible brain dead children's films that bore me within minutes but what the fuck does poor filmmaking have to do with superhero comics? The movies aren't inherently awful because they star super heroes, they're awful because they're committee created and there's no reason for quality because they'll be successful in any case.
>>
>>80921456
You're the only one who is stupid here bro.

But seriously, noone else but comicbook writers act like this.
Hell look at Shakespeare for fuck sake. He understood that there were times to be serious and times to be silly.
This is a guy who wrote Hamlet, which is a play filled with some of the most complex character interactions and well elaborated character development in literature, perfectly capturing a young mans descent into complete madness. This is also the guy who wrote Much Ado About Nothing, which is essentially the gross out sex comedy of the time.
But nah senpai Dan Clowes is 100% right, if an adult isn't 100% serious 24/7 it's pathetic and sad, everyone should just be miserable like him.
>>
>>80921540
>So we can all agree that any person that judges quality entirely on some minute external factor like if the main characters wears a cape and saves people is a complete fucking idiot right?
Yeah, but it works in the other direction as well.

When people like Morrison tell me how amazing and important and uplifting the superhero genre (and every work in it) is then I know he's an idiot too.
>>
File: 2009.jpg (15KB, 220x270px) Image search: [Google]
2009.jpg
15KB, 220x270px
>>80921550
tl;dr. Sorry /lit/.

>>80921540
>any person that judges quality entirely on some minute external factor like if the main characters wears a cape and saves people is a complete fucking idiot
Yer not the chuffin' full shillin'?
>>
Why is it so hard for writers of all people to get the concept of escapism? People get enough real shit in their actual lives they have to deal with. It shouldn't be a surprise they're not looking for more in their fiction
>>
>>80921602
Escapism is fine in small doses

When browsing thematic websites hunting for pictures snapped at the shooting of Captain America 8 Part III becomes the main topic of you dailty thoughts and conversations, it's the first sign of brain degradation
>>
>>80921602
And yet gossip stories sell like hotcakes...
>>
>>80921237

I think noone can seriously say that capes are mature. No matter how many adult concepts and storytelling techniques you put in a cape comic, it still remains a power fantasy aimed at being cathartic. You can have satire about capes or meta-capes, but those just mirrors to capes, not alternatives to the simple kiddie storytelling that is inherent to the concept of costumed vigilantes.

There is no such thing as a mature superhero comic or movie. I still like it, but let's call it what it is.
>>
>>80921582
I seem to recall Morrison also taking a swipe at Chris Ware and other non-cape comic writers for having a bad attitude seemingly for not writing escapist fiction.
>>
>>80921641
>fine in small doses
This. I have the same opinion about pulp fiction: one or two stories in a day is fine, but a whole magazine? Ugh.
>>
>>80921662
I wish Morrison knew to how to write a sad superhero story, a la Ware.
>>
>>80920631
Yeah, he certainly sounds like the kind of self-important douchebag Salon would write an article about.
>>
>>80921602
>Escapism = cape
>>
>>80921550
I think your comparisons to literature are off-base, in that there are times when a genre or book might be *popular*, but no times when the medium is completely *dominated* to the extent that comics are.

There are people on this planet RIGHT NOW who have no idea that *any* non-superhero comic even exists. For them, comic==superhero and superhero==comic and that's that.

And what is the effect of this? I'd say it's the reason why almost nobody reads comics.

You know why superhero movies are so popular but comics are so unpopular? Because people think that movies are full of variety and only occasionally about superheroes-- they think that they can watch a superhero movie this week and then go back to watching non-superhero movies next week-- but they think that comics are exclusively a never-ending stream of only superheroes and nothing else, and they have no interest in getting invested in that.

Capes are strangling comics.
>>
>>80921656
is Homer's odyssey mature? Is Dante's divine comedy? is Virgil's aeneid? is the epic of gilgamesh? the book of samuel? journey to the west? the Mahabharata? 1001 Arabian Nights?
>>
>>80921642

Gossip stories are fiction mostly, though.

Glossy magazines basically take cherrypicked stock photos of famous people looking mildly fat, ill, angry or sad and invent pompous stories around it.

That's basically mean spirited fan fiction.
>>
File: Star Wars Legacy 016.jpg (40KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Legacy 016.jpg
40KB, 357x368px
>>80921746
>capes are as good as the classics of literature
>>
>>80921641

Anything is fine in small doses, not just just escapism.
>>
>>80921752
Yes, they're not fantastic fiction but they're equally escapist.
>>
>>80921764

No one is saying that, but Clowes' argument would dismiss every one of those works.
>>
>>80921772
And yet you're always consuming capeshit...

>>80921781
Why, exactly?
>>
File: salty pretzel.jpg (141KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
salty pretzel.jpg
141KB, 500x375px
>>80920631
Abloo Bloo Bloo. Maybe he'd be more successful if he wasn't a whiny hack.
>>
>>80921791
Oh, he is successful; in fact, he became successful without making capeshit, which has a lot of merit.
>>
>>80920631
Based
>>
>>80921746

Dante's divine comedy is political satire. Homer's odyssey is a lyrical text. And 1001 Arabian Nights doesn't have something akin to superheroes in it, as far as I know. All of these were groundbreaking works of genius IN THEIR OWN TIME.

Besides, all of these and especially biblical texts and the epic of Gilgamesh are of a mature interest because they're basically a conservatory of ancient ideas about the world.

So: Capes have much in common with ancient texts, but they're written in this time and not then - superheroes simply aren't something that relates to the modern experience in any deeper way. It's fine to enjoy them, which I do greatly, but they are far removed from any form of maturity. Of course, this is not black and white, as the cape genre overlaps with other genres.
>>
>>80921656
>There is no such thing as a mature superhero comic or movie

What's the definition of maturity here?
>>
>>80921791
He would be more successful if he was a whiny hack writing capes.

Aren't you people always bemoaning the fact that top-selling writers like Bendis and Slott and Snyder are whiny hacks and successful?
>>
>>80921785

>And yet you're always consuming capeshit...

As if indieshit made by English writers were anything better mate.

I don't even know why you pulled capeshit out of that post.
>>
File: 43749830.png (97KB, 416x600px) Image search: [Google]
43749830.png
97KB, 416x600px
>>80921067
The rest of the world likes stories about heroes, too. If none of that resonates with you I'm sorry.
>>
>>80921817
For instance, something that makes your brain actually work, not leaving you more stupid than you already were.

>>80921833
We're discussing capeshit, lad. And yeah, no one is saying 2000AD is any better.
>>
>>80921764
there is zero difference between the kind stories told about the likes of beowulf or king arthur and the kind of stories told about the likes of black bolt or hal jordan.

your position is arbitrary
>>
>>80921818
>being comparable to bendis or slott

Now you see the problem.
>>
>>80921837
>posts a manga
>a kind of comic that also tells stories with no heroes
OK?

>>80921847
>the classics of literature are shit, like capes
lol
>>
>>80921791
>That much salt on a pretzel

might as well not get one if you plan on ruining it.
>>
>>80921862
>Kamen Rider
>not a hero
>>
>>80921872
>that lack of reading comprehension
No wonder you only read capeshit...
>>
>>80920631
>Salon
Jeez, OP. I call myself a liberal and even I won't read that rag. Why would you?
>>
>>80921902
>I call myself a liberal, but I love corporate franchises
lol
>>
>>80921862
you are intentionally misconstruing my argument to further raise contention
>>
>>80921872
Kamen Rider is (super)heroes, but everybody who knows about manga knows that non-(super)hero manga exist too.

We're at the point now where there are people who know about superhero comics but have no idea that non-superhero comics exist.

The rest of the world likes stories about heroes, but only America could let heroes poison the perception of an entire medium.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n3oh4swOFO1r8soiz.png (86KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n3oh4swOFO1r8soiz.png
86KB, 500x258px
>>80921862
>kamen rider
>not a hero

Surely I'm being trolled.
>>
>>80921181
>This is so fucking true and one of those things that has been grinding my gears for years now. Ever since Iron Man came out in 2008 all of the sudden you get these people who think their Marvel comics experts and shit, but like fuck you didn't know who Jessica Jones was before this year. I read the fucking comics when they came out. And I'm supposed to capitulate to this bitch like she owns the fandom?

oh my god who even cares
>>
>>80921841
>For instance, something that makes your brain actually work, not leaving you more stupid than you already were
I don't think that there's anything in the genre of capes that precludes that.
>>
>>80921817

Maturity in a story for me is the reflection of actual human sensitivity in that given time. I don't want to say "realism" because that is associated with grim and gritty storytelling. What I mean is that subtle problems people have in real life should be represented and solven/not be solved in a non-trivial way. It's not a measure of general story quality, but of complexity in the depiction of the human experience.

Take All-Star Superman for example: This is a fine work of art to me. It soothes me and gives me hope. But I would not call it mature, exactly because it is so forcefully concentrated on that simple notion of hope. It ignores the subtleties associated with that. Again, fine work of art which emotionally resonates with me but does not actually reflect the complex experiences we have every day.

Take Gotham Central on the other hand as an example of cape-related, but mature stuff: Again, fine work of art and I also would call it mature in some way, because it more closely and more complex reflects what humans go through every day.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy capes. Capes can be a work of art and beautiful. They can give us hope DESPITE the complexity of our lives. But generally they do not REFLECT that complexity and subtlety, which is what I would argue a mature work always does.
>>
>>80921847
How about the fact myths and legends were created to impart cultural beliefs and values, whereas capeshit is created to make a profit?

I could perhaps agree if there was one "Superman legend" but there isn't. Capes are just churned out and rebooted in perpetuity for one reason and one reason only, to make money. People keep reading them for the same reason they keep going to Starbucks, because it's safe and familiar and they know what they're getting. I did used to read capes but Jesus I soon got bored and wanted something different.
>>
>>80921550
>>80921594
But Shakespeare's contemporaries thought he was pleb shit
>>
>>80921987
Myths and legends were often created as propaganda.
>>
File: 5-1.jpg (392KB, 986x1174px) Image search: [Google]
5-1.jpg
392KB, 986x1174px
>>80921923

America's the only place to have to deal with this shit for decades. Plus the only reason it happened at all is because the industry WASN'T all capeshit for kids at the time and moral guardians thought it should have been
>>
>>80921910
You trying to point out some hypocrisy, friend?
>>
>>80921809
They're also the surviving greatest hits from a period that have gone through hundreds if not thousands of years of editing and polishing, rather than an entire modern genre. Shakespeare's pretty great, sure, but there were many, many, many more poets, baladeers and theatrical writers during his day, some of them were as popular as him at the time, and a lot of their output is shiiiiiiiit. Even by the standards of the time, which are all over the place because of the constraints of the era, the cultural mores, the amount of time and effort people put into making them, and the relative lack of choice in literary entertainment. One or two might survive, but there's a reason "A strumpet'f dishonour: Beeing a maidf adv'f ftroll thru debauchery in five actf' gets completely forgotten.
>>
>>80921957
>But I would not call it mature, exactly because it is so forcefully concentrated on that simple notion of hope.

Ah, so you need the perception of "complexity" to be mature.
>>
I don't even like superhero comics but I really don't see the problem here. Even if someone general likes fiction with more depth to it it doesn't mean they can't be in the mood for an easy to digest MCU movie every now and then for example. It feels like a really pretentious idea to think someone can only exclusively enjoy simple action flicks or something with more artistic merit.
>>
>>80922017
Yes, impart cultural beliefs and values, that's what I said.

How do you think you create a coherent society without convincing/manipulating people to share the same values? Literally every society on the planet does that to their children.
>>
>>80921987
>I did used to read capes but Jesus I soon got bored and wanted something different.

Well bully for you.
>>
>>80922023
I still maintain that Archie and DC created the comics code specifically to drive EC out of business.
>>
>>80922051
>It feels like a really pretentious idea to think someone can only exclusively enjoy simple action flicks or something with more artistic merit.

That's snobbery for you.
>>
clowes never said you cant like both guys

he just doesnt like it himself and thinks that people who only like "shallow" media like capeshit and not more "complex" stuff are stupid

you guys are seriously misrepresenting clowes here
>>
Oh please will you all shut the fuck up! Look this is the great debate in comics, you can complain all you want but indie comics were never mainstream material. I mean have you ever see Love and Rockets referenced on tv and not just by name? Also it's stupid how flooded American comics are with superheroes, but that's how the industry is, but what can you do changed the taste of everyone? Neither side has perspective, like back in 2000's there was a glut of indie autobiography comics, it was not just blankets, there was so many at the time. Hell indie chases more trends than anything else. They also never last in the public conscious. Like think who are the most famous indie comics characters? For a while it was The Teenage Mutant Turtles. So yeah the industry is fucked lets just burn it to the grown and see who lives.
>>
>>80922053
>impart cultural beliefs and values

Capeshit became the dominant genre due to the Comic Code of Authority's attempt to do just that.
>>
>Clowes
You mean the guy who writes about how being a middle class American is the greatest struggle?
>>
>>80921809
>Dante's divine revenge fic
>everyone who was mean to me is in eatong shit
>people I like are in heaven with all the saints.
>>
>>80922043

Yes, and of course the story would need to "ring true" also. Not complexity for complexities sake.

So maturity doesn't automatically mean "better than immaturity" for me. Immature works can have resonance, but they do so through very simplistic, distanced from life notions. All Star Superman is more of a philosophical exploration of what hope and optimism is in idealistic form. It's so abstracted that it does not reflect actual nuanced human experience in a way meaningful to this particular time.

Again, I don't mean that immaturity means bad. I just mean that capes are a simple concept set in modern times instead of simple times. If the myth of Gilgamesh were to be invented now, it would not make any wave and seen as kids stuff because it's so cognitively simple relative to what is cognitively possible today.
>>
>capeshit defense force
This is why this industry sucks.
>>
>Look at me and praise me, for my taste is so much better than yours. Meanwhile your taste is terribly wrong, you ought to be a kid or retarded to have that kind of taste.

Caring about whether or not you like "adult" things is what teenagers trying to look adult do.

Some people never grow out of it though.
>>
>>80922122
>MUH ENNUI
So mature and complex.
>>
>>80920631
>Americans
>culture
>>
Maturity is preferring escapism to reality while still partaking in it.
>>
>>80921158
>there needs to be more variation in the comic book industry - or the Big Two, at least - if it ever hopes to grow. Capeshit won't keep the boat afloat forever.

The boat is made of capeshit. The boat was built with capeshit and has had every original part replaced with capeshit. There's a few planks of Image and a poop deck made from the Walking Dead, even a mizzenmast of Saga, but the boat is mostly capeshit.

The worst selling Superman is as 55,000 issues is still several times the Wicked + the Divine's regular 10,000. You can't scuttle a boat on purpose to replace it with a dingy.
>>
>>80921987
If you were going to get deep about it, cape heroes share some attributes with folk heroes where there's a basic few stories that are probably intended to give a lesson and then get progressively wackier stuff added to them over time because people make up new shit to top the old stories and sell their interpretation. You know how X character works (jovial / vengeful / smartass) so put him into Y new situation (courting someone / fighting something / doing something new and impressive)

Capes bypass some of the cultural mythology aspect by being actively pushed by mega media corporations as part of the branding and merchandising rather than developing more organically over a long time. Its not just some old coot talking about Paul Bunyan and his giant cow to entertain children and explain why there's no more forest, its a large profit driven enterprise trying to exploit a niche to its fullest having helped kill off their competitors. The company have it in their interest to link their corporate mascots to established popular political and social ideas, and establish their pretty odd niche as an essential component of the American cultural framework.

Or something, I don't know, I'm talking out of my ass.
>>
>>80921351

Simon Hanselman identifies as non-binary and uses male pronouns.
>>
>>80920631
>why aren't my comics as popular?
>these movies suck! STOP SEEING THEM! WATCH GHOST WORLD!
>>
File: 1395009954493.png (53KB, 546x271px) Image search: [Google]
1395009954493.png
53KB, 546x271px
>>80920631
>and only the tiniest niche audience of emotional defectives care about superhero comics
what a faggot
>>
>>80921370
>a religion

There's maybe less than half a million people in America who read comics consistently, which I'd say is still at cult numbers.
>>
>>80922246
>what is the modern depiction Santa Claus
Coke pushed the jolly fat fuck hard.
>>
I don't think he is that wrong. At least he admits it's not for him and has a bit of humor about it.
>>
>>80921987
>whereas capeshit is created to make a profit?

It's 2016, nearly everything is created for profit.

That's a worthless standard for gauging the authenticity of something.
>>
>>80922110
>clowes never said you cant like both guys
>he just doesnt like it himself and thinks that people who only like "shallow" media like capeshit and not more "complex" stuff are stupid
>you guys are seriously misrepresenting clowes here

We wouldn't have something to argue about if we were reasonable.
>>
>It's like, "I'm an asshole"
>>
>>80921437
George Bernard Shaw hated Shakespeare because Shakespeare was popular than him. Shaw of all people. Fucking Shaw.
>>
>>80922340
Can you really not see the difference between writers and artists creating their own original works driven by their own creativity and publishers taking a chance on them, and megacorporations paying writers and artists to churn out more stories about their popular copyrighted franchise characters?

Read some Euro comics sometime. I don't think many creators over there sit down to create with the intention of getting a fat paycheck first and foremost in their minds.
>>
>>80921086
Yes you do, it's just less pronounced and more mutable. There are and always will be cultural trends.

The problem is Clowes isn't seeing it at all: when comic books started superhero stories took off but there were periods of horror, romance, etc. comics too. There were different trends and specialist publishers within the industry. As that industry consolidated (and effectively died, going by publication figures vs. publication figures) you ended up with one hardcore fan group being dominant. That's continued ever since, more-or-less - until now, maybe, actually, because if you compare superhero numbers vs. non-superhero numbers in the industry just now I think they'd be a lot closer than they have been in a long while. Separate from that, movies right now are going through a phase where superhero movies are the trend like cowboy movies have been a trend, like teen movies have been a trend.

Daniel Clowes is linking the superhero comics and the superhero movies together too much, without (apparently) getting in America he was always pitching to a niche industry.

Plus, once something becomes an accepted cultural touchstone it's well, a cultural touchstone. A lot of kids have read comics at one time or another: you wouldn't rag on a kid for reading comics just like you wouldn't rag on one for playing with lego. Some of those kids become adult fans of very specific stuff in the same way you get adult fans of lego.
>>
>>80922429
>I don't think many creators over there sit down to create with the intention of getting a fat paycheck first and foremost in their minds.
I can't think of anyone who does this other than Arleston.
>>
File: 1407458679551.jpg (111KB, 503x698px) Image search: [Google]
1407458679551.jpg
111KB, 503x698px
>>80920631
>It would be like if all comics were about pilgrims and then we did comics about normal people and we were looked at as the weirdoes.
Just because you do less known comics doesn't mean anyone views your comics as "comics for weirdos".

It's also a silly thought process because look at movies, I'm not talking about superheroes, I'm talking before. All these blockbuster action films with these protagonists that kick ass and have cool one liners(much like superheroes), they've been here since the 80s and have always dominated the industry of film in terms of money.

>
It's like, superheroes have been dominating the industry for decades now, but you just now decided to speak up about how much you dislike them, after countless of others have spoken up about it in the last 2-3 years? I find ii hilarious when he tells me he always hated capes comics. It's like, No you didn't. [Laughs]
>>
You idiots seriously don't know who Clowes is? he's unarguably one of the top 5 GOAT... It's just that, along with a lot of the "comix" OGs, his perception of superhero comics lies on 60s camp.
>>
>>80922429
You're an idiot if you think the French/Euro and Japanese comics industries are not trying to make a profit.
>>
You're gonna work in comics a feign surprise at the fact that most are about superheros.

And then blame and belittle those that did not by what you made, it's their fault for not buying.

While an immense majority of comics are about superheros, merely making a comic in another genre does not mean failure, not if its good.

And then he scolds people for being casuals?

At least he found a way to feel superior no matter what.

Can we set him up for a fatal car accident, please?
>>
>>80921086
Are you nuts? manga is completely dominated by shonen.
>>
>>80922485
Ya big dum dum, Clowes has been criticizing superhero comics for 30+ years. Download Eightball on kat.ph, it's still amazing.
>>
>>80922429
>Can you really not see the difference between writers and artists creating their own original works driven by their own creativity and publishers taking a chance on them, and megacorporations paying writers and artists to churn out more stories about their popular copyrighted franchise characters?

Capes pay the bills, man. Rucka has to do occasional DC work so he can keep the lights on while he does Lazarus, Gillen is making megabucks writing Darth Vader while he does weird wizard shit at Image.

Brubaker made so much bank from Captain America vol 5 he can do whatever he wants now. Fraction and Deconnick have left Marvel all-together for Sex Criminals and Bitch Planet.

Am I supposed to disregard all that commercial work they did? Is it really inherently having less creative integrity? Warren Ellis rides commercial work like a white horse made of cocaine on a lightning bolt and does whatever he wants. Does it matter if it's James Bond or Injection at that point?

>Read some Euro comics sometime. I don't think many creators over there sit down to create with the intention of getting a fat paycheck first and foremost in their minds.

I have, a lot of them are poorly edited and paced. Blacksad is great. Moebius' stuff is often a lucid mess. Froid Équateur by Bilal was a bunch of rambling pseudosexual ideas.
>>
>>80922523
Shonen isn't a genre you blockhead. It's the target audience of the magazine it was published in.
Shonen can be action, slice of life, fantasy, sci-fi, romance or many others.
>>
>>80922506
>You idiots seriously don't know who Clowes is?

I've read his Acme Library collections. He's master of storytelling.

>he's unarguably one of the top 5 GOAT... It's just that, along with a lot of the "comix" OGs, his perception of superhero comics lies on 60s camp.

He can also be up his own ass.
>>
>>80922528
I've read some Clowes and I've ordered Patience and it's on the way. Just saying, coming out and talking bout them now seems like poor timing. 10 years ago if he said this in an interview I'd at least see more honesty than now when he just sounds like he wants to join the party. Besides, my first point still stands.
>>
>>80922485
>they've been here since the 80s
I'm no expert on the history of action movies, but I've at least seen earlier James Bond movies with big cool action set pieces, and snappy one liners, as a guy with super-gadgets fought to stop a supervillain
>>
>>80922506
We know who Clowes is, we just think his views on capeshit makes him a pretentious snob.
>>
>>80922582
I'm talking about that "battle shonen genre", you know, One Piece, Dragon ball, Bleach, One Punch man...
>>
File: ultimate hipster tier.jpg (325KB, 960x814px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate hipster tier.jpg
325KB, 960x814px
>>80920631

>hipster indie creator acts smugger than though

News at 11!
>>
>>80922594
He's a 50 year old man that never gave a shit about superhero comics, he's been shitting on superhero comics for his entire career. He's not "coming out".
>>
>>80921067
Superman and Spiderman are way more interesting than Smurfs or TinTin fella.
>>
>>80921243
He publishes real books and is a New York Times bestseller. For what that's worth.
>>
>>80922506
He made that movie with Shia labeouf right?
>>
File: get.gif (2MB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
get.gif
2MB, 500x451px
>>80922627
>a New York Times bestseller

That means about as much as an Oscar these days.
>>
>>80922618
It sure feel like it. Al right, you're 25 and wan to shit on capeshit? fine, do it. 5 years later, still shitting on capeshit in interviews? alright then. 10 years late, well, buddy, it's time to just drop it and live your life at this point. You've made your thoughts on the matter known already.
>>
>>80922616
>though
He's just giving his opinion on the state of the industry. Because he was asked.
>>
>>80921400

No, he basically thought that cape books had an all age audience and thus shouldn't go into political stuff that little timmy would be confused by, like gay marriage, etc.

It's weird, because he writes women better than most women and inserts lots of gritty real world stuff into his books.
>>
>>80922616
Doesn't this kid have any parents?
>>
>>80922654
It's just some dude asking, another dude replying. Calm down.
>>
>>80920891
I felt bad that you got ignored so I decided to reply. Feel better, anon.
>>
>>80922656
Well his opinion makes him sound like a pretentious asshole but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>80922666
He was posessed by you, Satan.
>>80922652
Are you mad that they judge it on artistic merit and not popularity?
>>
>>80922656

No, I agree with him. Cape movies are largely forgettable popcorn pieces and movies are either utterly light hearted or Oscar bait about gay ethiopian kids writing poetry. There's no middle ground.

At the same time, he could just say, I believe there's more you can do with the medium and we're not taking advantage of it, without sounding more grumpy than Alan Moore.
>>
>>80922694
they kinda judge it on popularity though.
>>
>You might think that you're enjoying things, but you're Wrong.

Oh bow, one of those kind of elder nerds.
>>
>>80922684
He gave valid points, though. He seems to hate that they are popular instead of hating them because they're popular.
>>
>>80922657

Dixon is behind-the-times like most old men. "little timmy" has an ipad and plays minecraft.
>>
>>80922711
If they did Star Wars and capeshit would wipe the floor.
>>
>>80922694
I'd like to think the devil would have better fashion sense than that.
>>
>>80922727
And is probably already gay married.
>>
>>80920891
They all attack him instead of defending cape comics because they're indefensible.
>>
File: lol the internet.jpg (197KB, 960x756px) Image search: [Google]
lol the internet.jpg
197KB, 960x756px
>>80922666

Some parents are horrible people.
>>
>>80922616
>/fa/ would defend this.
>>
Clowes wants to blame someone for the lack of variety in mainstream American comics. Blame the Comics Code for killing every genre but superheroes.
>>
>>80922727

This is true, and they've all seen /b/ tier humor already if their parent let them unsupervised on the Internet, so it's a lost cause.
>>
>>80922694
>Are you mad that they judge it on artistic merit and not popularity?

Best Supporting Male actor will almost always go to an older man with a stage background who hasn't been in "showy" roles.

Best Supporting Female Actor will almost always go to a young woman in her first big breakout role so she can ride the success of that for years.

Best Film will go to a movie that confronts an "important" issue.

Best Director will go to an Academy favorite.

The Academy is overwhelmingly biased toward biopics about handicapped or closeted men, particularly period pieces from WW2. Fictional films set in-period based on real events too.

Less than a third bothers to see more than one animated film a year so Disney or Pixar will always win by name recognition.
>>
>>80922786
I feel like webcomics are bringing variety back.
Problem is they're made by amateurs and 98% of them suck ass fumes out of an old couch.
>>
>>80921195
>>80921205

Many people conflate anime and manga as one. I hope you two aren't doing same.
>>
>>80921086
They also don't have to deal with the stupid shared universe and multiverse shit that plagues American comics.
>>
>>80922815
So the academy have a type?
Honestly a reshuffle would be a breath of fresh air, I'd love if actual animation entusiasts got to vote on Best Disney/Pixar Movie (Animated)
>>
>>80922823
>Problem is they're made by amateurs and 98% of them suck ass fumes out of an old couch.

Also, no one can tell them that the suck because their little fanbase will back them up no matter what they do. Editors are important to force someone to get off their ass and do something new.
>>
File: 4chan fa neck.jpg (1MB, 3110x2073px) Image search: [Google]
4chan fa neck.jpg
1MB, 3110x2073px
>>80922784

Would they stick out their neck for them?
>>
File: chalky4.jpg (562KB, 1650x1253px) Image search: [Google]
chalky4.jpg
562KB, 1650x1253px
>>80921677
>>80921662
>>80921582
Morrison's rant about being raised working class was embarrassing.

Besides, how can anyone hate Chris Ware? He gave us Rusty Brown.
>>
>>80921422
>1996
That's an interesting cut-off point.
>>
>>80922823
Well Image and Dark Horse are doing their part I guess. And IDW, but almost all of their output is licensed.
>>
>>80922761
maybe you should read the rest of the thread
>>
File: draw distance on.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
draw distance on.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>80922871

The anime industry is in a creative downturn, too.

It just peaked in the 1980's and 1990's and then hit a brick wall.
>>
>>80922887
I feel like the creative industry is heading in the wrong direction in this sense.
Seeing as most critics lack 'tact' or anything constructive to say at all, it easy to write them off as bullies or haters.
Now you see writers from the big two lashing out at fans on twitter and revealing that their heads are lodged up their own asses.
Having thick skin and being receptive to critique is a rare gift.
>>
>>80922998

To be fair, anyone can anyone a huge gay faggot who sucks horse dick at any time. And a lot of things that are accepted now would have been flamed to death if the Internet had been widespread in the 1990's.

But the small mainly liberal echo chambers and stupid stuff like New Games Journalism is a creative retreat. Just look at all of those Marvel books that are just cutesy, no edge.
>>
>>80922990
They can't afford to pay their talent, and pander just as hard as the west (e.g. Wacky Schoolgirl Slice of life v.s. Crude Family Sitcom).
>>
File: twisted toyfair gundams.jpg (141KB, 650x960px) Image search: [Google]
twisted toyfair gundams.jpg
141KB, 650x960px
>>80923048

The yen being in the shitter and merchandise driving those shows doesn't help. Action cartoons have basically died in both the West and East.
>>
>>80922614
One Punch Man is seinen, not shonen.
>>
C'mon Clowes! Let's not get too sanctimonious about it. I mean, we all eat at McDonald's sometimes. We all grab a Starbucks coffee once in a while. Might as well get comfy with a little bit of capeshit too. I've got my Superman and X-men sitting next to my Acme Novelty Library and Palookaville. Chill out. It's fine.
>>
>>80922012
No they didn't. John Milton, for example, had a huge, huge erection for the guy. There was a brief period of time when his work was considered too flashy because it didn't suckle Aristotle's teat, but even then damn near everybody conceded that he was a fantastic writer. The writers people thought were better than Shakespeare generally felt the opposite way about their own work.
>>
>>80922930
>Morrison's rant about being raised working class was embarrassing.

How? Superman was his lifeline as a kid. Mature Adults Who only Read Serious Graphic Novels piss on that, but their books never inspired any kid.

>Besides, how can anyone hate Chris Ware? He gave us Rusty Brown.

Fuck Rusty Brown. He's a horrible person, not just because he's a nerd, but because he's a horrible person.
>>
>>80920933
this. superheroes movies barely feels heroic
>>
>>80923129

Not true at all. Robots aren't popular with Japanese boys but action anime do fine. Provided they have tits for the pervs.
>>
>>80923251

Yeah, but the merchandise has gotten worst and more expensive. Compare Gyrozetter's ugly shell formers with old school Braves toys.

Hot glue toys took over everything, too.
>>
>>80920631
>Comix creator
>Salon
It's like the cancer is real.
>>
>>80920631
I only read Death Ray from him but found it nothing special. What's his deal?
>>
>>80920631
To me this just feels like every person that thinks "I can't be wrong, it's everyone else that's wrong."
>>
>>80921540
>that's the history of the industry. That's how it was created and that's how it has supported itself.

You're wrong. The first comics were in newspapers around the turn of the century and were fairly broad in subject matter - i.e. Little Nemo in Slumberland, Krazy Kat, Fritzi Ritz. The first superheroes didn't appear until the latter half of the 1930s.

Superheroes aren't the foundation of the genre historically.
>>
>European comics constantly push the boundaries of what is possible with sequential art as a medium
>American Comics have been stuck in the same rut since the late fifties and refuse to progress.
>>
>>80923132
It's originally a webcomic. It doesn't fall into either category because it wasn't published in a shonen/seinen publication.
>>
>>80922614

And the industry still isn't dominated by them. Any sales chart has a lot variety.
>>
>>80923528
That's not how it works.
>>
>>80923528

One Punch Man is a meme series anyway. I read the first four volumes and thought it was amusing for the references but otherwise lackluster.
>>
>>80923518
>European comics constantly push the boundaries of what is possible with sequential art as a medium
Examples?
>>
>>80923546
They're strictly demographics so if you're not aiming your series specifically for either and self-publishing it it can't really be said to be either.
>>
>>80923533
Yes it fucking is.
>>
>>80923573
Metal Hurlant, 2000 AD, Fucking Moebius.
>>
>>80923602
Those are just anthologies. And Moebius has been dead for years. Give me 10 examples of such stories published in the last 10-15 years.
>>
>>80923518
>this is what eurofags actually believe
>>
File: 1444267429157.gif (115KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1444267429157.gif
115KB, 500x281px
>indie comics
>relevant
>>
>>80920631
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE

people like this make my fucking blood boil
>>
>>80923753

If you count Walking Dead or iZombi, indies are more popular than ever. However, those are genre works, and Clowes probably hates them.
>>
>>80923894
Genre works are the lowest tier of sequential art save for capeshit.
>>
>>80923783
It's the sense of superiority that got me.
>>
The only people who worry about how mature something is are children who want to seem more grown up

If you're an adult you know that it's okay to like whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>80923894
iZombie is a DCancer property, not indie, you fat fuck.
>>
I don't mean to hate on Clowes, but he's being a bit simplistic. He's complaining about the way the medium evolved, and this evolution happened for a bunch of reasons, including censorship in the fifties and the growing insularism of the comic book community in the eighties. It's as if a movie director from the fifties was complaining about western movies, or a writer from the XVIIth century was complaining about knighthood romances.

Of course he throws in some ad hominens there, calling superhero fans "emotional defectives". It kinda goes to show how people see the world in a different way. Used to be, a liberal like Clowes was all about live-and-let-live, while a conservative would be the one worried about manchildren being emotionally warped. Now the seats have turned.
>>
>>80923951
Being pleb and proud is worse than being pleb and quiet.
>>
>>80923953

Vertigo was a prestige series that gave some creator's rights back in the day.
>>
>>80923983
Veritgo is under DC though.
>>
>>80920917
Shia LaBeouf's after-the-fact, bullshit justification of his plagiarism of Clowes' work, and the way he doubled down by pretending to be a shock artist, is more dignified, culturally relevant, and entertaining than anything Clowes has ever done.
>>
>>80920631
I didn't know who this fuck is until I looked him up.

Now I realize its the guy who's books I skip over while digging through trade paperback boxes at conventions.
>>
>>80923978
Who are you to classify others as plebs? You are acting like a teenager.
>>
>>80924167
Only a teenager would rush to call others he disagrees with teenagers.
>>
>>80920631
So let me see if I got this correct:

Hipster comic writer who only has one moderately well know book bitches about superhero comics while wondering why people don't buy more indie trash like the stuff he writes.

Is this close?
>>
>>80924255
Spot on actually
>>
>>80924255
Yeah pretty much. You get these kinds of articles occasionally.
>>
People sure get defensive when someone says mean things about superheroes.
>>
>>80924255
Two moderately well know book actually.

It seems like when it comes to comics people (and people who make them) can be really insecure.

This guy for example talks down to cape fans as he needs to feel superior to someone.
>>
>>80924411
People sure get defensive when someone says they're basically retarded for liking something
>>
>>80923046
>Just look at all of those Marvel books that are just cutesy, no edge.

And stuff like the Vision goes mostly unread.

In 2016, I have real doubts about what the potential audience for comic book actually wants beyond a casual toothless experience.
>>
>>80923161
Very little people understand that capeshit and hipstershit can live together in harmony
>>
>>80920631
>I find it hilarious when normal people are talking about obscure Marvel characters like they always loved them. It’s like, No you didn’t
Well he's not wrong.
>>
>>80924515
Well, that's a normal response.
>>
>>80920914
>Dr. Strange kills Billy Batson
He was clearly supposed to be Tim Hunter, you casual.
>>
File: Capefags.jpg (222KB, 1273x448px) Image search: [Google]
Capefags.jpg
222KB, 1273x448px
>>80924020
>is more dignified, culturally relevant, and entertaining than anything Clowes has ever done
See, now you're just baiting.
>>
Man why is the indie scene so fulled with fart eaters? Its like a constant contest of people trying to out hipster each-other.

And its funny as it seems like these guy seem to rehash the same boring narrative all the damn time. "Its a coming of age story" or "Its about a person finding out who they are" or "Its about a person dealing with X".

Seems like actual good indie stories are rare to find.
>>
>>80923319

We're a couple years from 3D printing bringing a new paradigm to global manufacturing.
>>
>>80920891

Not all entertainment needs to be intellectual.
>>
>>80924635

3D printing still means you need to paint it and put ti together with actual tolerances.

Have you never put together a resin kit before? Same deal.
>>
>>80920631
I just googled him.

Holy shit this guy has the most bland boring looking art style I have ever seen. No wonder he falls asleep during movies, he is the most boring person in the world.
>>
File: the-lost-skeleton-of-cadavra.jpg (141KB, 900x606px) Image search: [Google]
the-lost-skeleton-of-cadavra.jpg
141KB, 900x606px
>>80923914
>Genre works are the lowest tier of sequential art save for capeshit.

You can sit in your chair and drink your tea and growl to yourself about how only you have good taste unlike the masses, but your study is a mausoleum, your heart is stopped, and you're just a lonely haunted skeleton in a lifeless place.

Complain that pigs eat and fuck in their own shit but they're in the sun and alive, unlike you, necromancer.
>>
>>80924631
A lot of them are probably just depressed with their lives and like to lash out or tear down things more successful than them. It's like trolling. Misery loves company.
>>
>>80924626
Certainly more entertaining.
>>
File: ass.jpg (38KB, 429x502px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
38KB, 429x502px
>>80924631
People are dumb.

Watch Crumb and see how people react to him as a genius when the narrative and the man himself just paints him as an obsessive weirdo who just draws what gets him off or finds funny
>>
>>80924626
>Love and Rockets
>advancing the medium
>Good
NOW THAT'S COMEDY!
>>
>>80924744
>the-lost-skeleton-of-cadavra.jpg
Aw shit, I love that movie, it reminds me of Plan 9. It's so funny, I haven't seen the sequel yet. Is it worth watching?
>>
>>80924631
>"Its a coming of age story" or "Its about a person finding out who they are"
It's sad that people keep associating indieshit with that now.
What happened? Do the indie scene get creatively bankrupt or that's just the thing most prominent at the moment?
Or is it just the reaction to the exposures of capeshit in mainstream comics?
>>
>>80924843
Its just the most prominent at the moment. I have to admit I miss the days when the indie scene was filled with Heavy Metal style sci fi.
>>
File: 1_0924.jpg (54KB, 192x387px) Image search: [Google]
1_0924.jpg
54KB, 192x387px
>>80924799
You don't get the joke? It's a pizzafaced nerd in a comic shop wearing a Cerebus shirt shittalking capes and only bringing up the greatest hits of entry level hipster shit
>>
>>80924802

I thought it got delayed.
>>
>>80924922
Nah, man. The sequel came out in 2010.
>>
>>80920891
They may be immature but they like what they like. I'd argue it's more immature for indieshit creators to constantly whine about how nobody reads their comics because they'd rather read capeshit.

Hmm, gee, why might that be I wonder?
>>
>>80924890

Prophet regularly sold under 10,000 issues. Relaunching without a new #1 hamstrung it severely.

Graham likes to buck trends but he's barely scraping by from his earnings. I can't imagine his wife Marian Churchland is doing much better.

The industry is rarely set up for success.
>>
>>80920631
The fact that /co/ talks about nothing but capes and kids'/stoner cartoons kind of proves his point.
>>
>>80921073
I completely agree. He brings up some valid points, but in the end, it just seems like he's being a douche. One of those old guys in the art field that's gotten to the point where he receives praise just for doing anything, due to his track record, and now he thinks he's some kind of elite authority. I've had to meet a lot of people like this when I was in the art field, these old fucks who think they know everything and that their opinion resound as fact.
>>
>>80925014
/co/ is 4chan, though, it's the garbage heap of the internet.
>>
>>80925088
>garbage heap of the internet.

No, that's Reddit. Reddit just reheats stale content. We're a compost heap that has lots of worms and warm mulch.
>>
>>80920631
You know, saying that something is for children doesn't really have a lot to do with whether adults should be fans of it.

Take ALICE IN WONDERLAND. It's a masterpiece, adults have been reading it on their own since it was published, but it's still a children's book, because it doesn't have anything inappropriate for children and is written in a language kids can understand.

STAR WARS is the same thing. It's a kids' movie but that doesn't mean adults weren't supposed to enjoy it. It's just that Lucas chose the form and style of a children's story.
>>
>>80925088
Well, yeah. His entire point is that capes comics are emotionally immature, and the most emotionally immature people on the internet talk about nothing BUT cape comics. And fucking cute, little bunny rabbits. But at least the rabbit-fuckers are discussing something that portrays adult issues, instead of "man in spandex punches other man in spandex".
>>
>>80925014
What about the people who go 'I don't read capeshit' on /co/?

If you remove the threads about capes you will only find stoner cartoons and people talking about how they want to have sex with girls from cartoons from kids shows. If you are not here partially for capes, you are here for that and don't have any room to talk shit. Not a false dichotomy
>>
>>80925139
No, Reddit is where all the normalfags go to loudly proclaim they're the normallest of them all, and everyone who disagrees with that is a fascist piece of shit who should be shoved into a labour camp.

I mean, I thought chantards were kidding, but when I went there I saw it for myself. The place is just a collection of hugboxes. It's like commenting on someone's blog or something. Just look at 4chan: I can shit on something you don't like, and maybe we'll tell each other to die in a fire, and that'll be it. It's more like friends telling each other that their mother is a whore.

But on Reddit, the gloves are off (or on, because boxing gloves allow you to punch harder). These fucking people will assume you're being 100% honest with even the most obvious sarcasm, unless you add that "/s" tag they use. If you say one thing in a comment that they can attack, they will attack JUST that one thing while ignoring the rest.

There's decent folk on there, but a huge part of Reddit only goes there to be offended and then whine about it.
>>
>>80925301

The main subs are normalfag/repost/dank meme central.

The smaller subreddits are full of super serious people who will downvote you for disagreeing with them and have no fucking life.
>>
>>80925273
Jesus fucking Christ, that's the most defensive post I've read all day.

No, I don't come here a lot, precisely because of all that shit. But occasionally, there's a thread I feel I can contribute to, or a comic dump I can read. So yeah, I do pop in here now and again to see if people are talking about stuff I actually like or have something to say about.

But seriously, this:

>If you are not here partially for capes, you are here for that and don't have any room to talk shit. Not a false dichotomy

is top shelf bullshit, and I hope you realize it.
>>
>>80925174
> the most emotionally immature people on the internet talk about nothing BUT cape comics.
but that's not true. they discuss my little pony and anime MUCH more than cape comics.
>>
>>80925273
>What about the people who go 'I don't read capeshit' on /co/?

Aside from the Walking Dead, Saga is the top telling indie comic.

There are two kinds of Saga threads on /co/ storytimes and complaint threads.

There's otherwise nothing to talk about it, it's difficult if not impossible to find anywhere on the internet where there's a forum for real informed debate from people who've read some issues.

And that's for Saga, a top seller.
>>
>>80920781
It's not that he doesn't like capes, for me, but rather it's the constant condescending bullshit that people like him spew out. Don't like capes all you want but I'm tired of seeing whiny articles and speeches and other shit from guys like him, guys at Image, whoever about how people need to stop being intellectually inferior and read REAL comics (i.e. their comics).
>>
>>80925395
Forgive me for pointing it, out, but don't people have their own boards for that? And in case they forget that, isn't that why we have mods?
>>
>>80925451
And the people who read Eurocomics are fragmented across the other languages of the internet. And if they come here, they're probably discussing capes, because they also like those.
>>
>>80925506
Eh, it's just what you're going to get with a supergenre like capes. It's kind of like The Big Bang Theory. The show itself is just a stupid sitcom. Hell, I even liked Two and a Half men when I was younger. I can't really hate TBBT for what it is. But I can definitely hate it for being as fucking everpresent as it is. There's only so many times I can hear someone say "bazinga" in real life before developing a passionate hatred for everything even remotely connected to it.

When something is so everpresent, you're never really away from it. You can't ignore it. Ironically, /co/ has that complaint about any flavour of the month (Bojack, Rick & Morty, Korra, Zootopia, etc. etc.).

For me, I don't dislike capes. I think some of it is cool. But I also like science fiction and action movies, and now the forced popularity of capes is basically poaching that genre from me. And When I come to someplay on the internet (/co/) to talk about shit I like, I get the said reaction to my "flavour of the month" stuff, while 50% of the boards is capes, all. The. Fucking. Time.

And I get the impression this guy has the same experience. He even mentions his friends and families wanting to go see popcorn capes movies.
>>
>>80920871
Who?
>>
>>80925518
correct, they do, but you misunderstood. I meant in general, not just on /co/. There are some spergs here for sure, but this place is nothing compared to /mlp/. The most emotionally immature people on the internet don't talk about cape comics much, if at all.
>>
>>80925451
Why do people complain about Saga anyway? Its pretty damn good.
>>
>>80922162
I think you might be my favorite anon on /co/ right now.
>>
File: sin dont win.jpg (56KB, 244x288px) Image search: [Google]
sin dont win.jpg
56KB, 244x288px
>>80920631
>w-why do they buy CAPESHIT instead of my mature intelligent comics for mature intelligent people such as myself?
>p-please give me money, it'll make you cool...
>>
>>80926118
Well, there's always the boss of the boss, if you get my meaning.

But I specifically mean, if you're seeking to discuss comics on 4chan, you walk into a big wall of capes. Coupled with 4chan's (farnkly, justified) reputation, it seems to reinforce Clowes' point.
>>
>>80920631
>I am better because I'm hipster
>please like me
What a faggot. He's a great artist but he's clealry a douchebag
>>
>this whole fucking thread full of mildly retarded capeshit fans
Oh, that's why /co/ is the worst board.
>>
>Man these fake fucking fans who only got into the thing recently
>Man fuck these adults who want to watch a superhero movie, it's for kids
>People who like superheroes are emotionally defective/can only handle simple stories

It's like a greatest hits of shitty comic book nerd opinions. I've heard all of this belched by the grognards at the local comic shops already
>>
>>80925012
Please don't act like Prophet is some intelligent work of fiction.
>>
You know once you get past what Marvel and DC have to offer, American comics aren't really that much different than european or japanese comics.
>>
>>80925451
Shelf threads are where /co/ talks about indies
>>
File: 1435722495817.gif (484KB, 325x217px) Image search: [Google]
1435722495817.gif
484KB, 325x217px
>If someone in the industry criticizes mainstream comics it's because they're jealous and their opinion doesn't matter.
>If someone who is a fan criticizes mainstream comics they're just a hipster and their opinion doesn't matter.
You just can't win.
>>
>>80927641
You can't win when you argue with emotional defectives
>>
>>80927641
More that if your criticism has a bunch of punchy ad-hominem than your actual message will get overlooked. And what's his actual message, even? Adults shouldn't like cape comics? Indies need more love?
>>
>>80927608
>shelf threads
>discussion
>>
>>80927577
Ha, no. The other publishers are mostly doing these crappy genre fiction shits. And they're mostly action.
>>
He's right about cape comics sominating the industry but he's wrong to act superior about it.
>>
>>80927753
It's true, if you ask about a book on someone's shelf or ask for opinions you'll get them.

It's probably the most consistently good actual comic discussion not bogged down by stupid culture war bs or whatever caped book came out last week. Just slow.
>>
>>80927505
Please don't pretend you read intelligent fiction.
>>
>>80927812
I will talk good things about Koko Be Good all day if someone just asked me about it. Fuck, I love that thing.
>>
I always like coming into these threads and seeing Marvel and DC fans rabidly defending their soulless overdog corporate comics that have been strangling the medium for decades. I don't even like Clowes but it's just funny in a sad way.
>>
>>80927897
>I always like coming into these threads

No you don't.
>>
>I am laughing at the fact that for years, when we were doing “Eightball” and “Hate” and “Love & Rockets” and stuff, we thought, “What we’re doing is really the mainstream stuff. It’s like comics for adults, that a general audience could read… and only the tiniest niche audience of emotional defectives care about superhero comics.”

...Really? For years? Unless he's in his 70s there's a pretty good chance that he got into the industry when the vast majority of books were capes and he should've seen the writing on the wall. The CCA torpedoed just about every other genre well before I, he, or any of us were born.

That complete lack of self awareness is far more telling about him than his critique of everyone else is about them.
>>
>>80927828
Bitch, even Graham admits it's not intelligent.
>>
>>80927950
So? I'm just saying that I have doubts you read intelligent fiction in the first place.
>>
>>80927812
>Is this good
>Yes
Is not discussion.
>>
>>80921152
>Hercules is real
Hercules isn't even his real name.
>>
I'm so mad that 8ball collection is fucking expensive

>>80927897

what's funny to me is that I'm as huge a big 2 nerd as you can't but to not accept the bullshit that comes along
>>
>>80927975
Cry somewhere else capebitch.
>>
>>80928012
See? Someone who actually reads intelligent fiction wouldn't be so rustled at the truth that he has to resort to using meme terms like capebitch.
>>
>>80922585
>Clowes
>Acme [...] Library
Wew.
>>
I have maturity. I have loved and I have been loved. I've buried siblings and friends. I file income taxes and get prostate exams. I have three kinds of insurance. I can drive, smoke, drink, fuck, cook, hunt, and kill. The fullness of the human experience is open to me.

So logically I can read whatever the fuck I want and still be a grown up. I don't need my bookshelf to give me validation.
>>
>>80927778
If anything,I feel like it's mostly slice of life/biography - but the other genres are actually doing quite well. The US market gets a lot of flack but it's really diverse right now, you just have to remember First Second, Oni Press, Boom(Box) and D+Q exist. Image/Fantagraphics/Vertigo are not the end all and be all of the NOrth American market.

>>80927846
I read it a few years ago, definitely enjoyed it but the art is mostly what stuck with. Have you read Solanin and Aya? They're similar in kind of dealing with young adulthood plights.

I think it's difficult to talk about indies, you're trying to talk a book you just read and adored with someone who hasn't touched it in five years. And there's just so many books worthy of discussion, it's hard to come to the same page. I might like Chester Brown, but what's there to really say about his work to generate pages of talk? Someone else chimes in with they like him, but they haven't rad the same books by him I have.

WIth capeds, everyone's read it on the same day or within the same month so it's much easier to talk about. Everyone's split when it comes to indies, it's hard to generate discussion.
>>
>>80928032
Don't pretend like you aren't a capebitch.
>>
>>80928037
>I have maturity
Why are you posting in 4chan then?
>>
>>80928037
>hunt, and kill
Careful with that edge, boy.
>>
>>80928131
I'm hungover. And theoretically you need to be 18 to post here.
>>
File: Harbinger v1-000.jpg (6KB, 168x126px) Image search: [Google]
Harbinger v1-000.jpg
6KB, 168x126px
>left this thread hours ago
>it's still up
Oh boy, is this how capefags spend weekends?
>>
>>80927608
There good if you ignore vollsticks.
>>
>>80927778
Whats wrong with Genre fiction?
>>
>>80928126
Doubling down on proving you can't read intelligent fiction, I see
>>
>>80928162
>Deer hunting is edgy.
>Not necessary population control
>Venison isn't delicious
>>
>>80928172
>you need to be 18 to post here
Why are you posting in 4chan then?

>>80928184
You should ignore Fatgirlish and any other namefag too.
>>
>>80928181
Most of the responses are by anti-capes though
>>
File: 1453892263705.jpg (10KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1453892263705.jpg
10KB, 320x287px
>>80923593
No it's not. I recall Kuroko's Basketball being one of the best selling comics in Japan after One Piece.
>>
>>80928186
Genre fiction is mostly poop. And an action adventure sci fi comic will often read like a cape comic.
>>
File: superhero movies.jpg (102KB, 500x693px) Image search: [Google]
superhero movies.jpg
102KB, 500x693px
Hi guys, what's going on in this thread?
>>
>>80927982
It's more than that, like sure it's ALSO just that but you can get good opinions. It's just a matter of discussion needs to be prompted - people don't just start talking about a book unless it actually comes up, then you'll find people chiming in with their opinions. If you wanna try and get discussion going on an indie you like, it's a better place than starting a thread.

>>80928209
That's a small ass thread you got left lol
>>
>>80927945
He means that a general audience of American adults did not care about the sole genre of Superheroes controlled by a duopoly.

That complete lack of self awareness is far more telling about you.
>>
>>80928215
No, we anti-capes are having fun with butthurt capefags. The latter are the ones shitting on Clowes because he doesn't like their super-religion.
>>

Yeah... I agree with him on this. It's just disingenuous.
>>
>>80922261
Pretty much this. Clowes and people like him labor under the delusion that culture follows art, rather than art following culture. When confronted with the quantifiable evidence that people would rather watch cape flicks than quirky slice-of-life high school dramadies or heartfelt autobiographical pap, they insist on new people - because, clearly, it's the audience that's wrong, not the product.
>>
>>80928283
>No, we anti-capes are having fun with butthurt capefags. The latter are the ones shitting on Clowes because he doesn't like their super-religion.

You're saying the latter were having fun triggering Clowes fans?
>>
>>80928245
But... you are the unnatractive.
>>
Cape fans getting triggerd and indie fans being smug,now this is a fun thread.
>>
>dont enjoy things
>>
>>80928284
Somebody tell /tv/ about this. The butthurt will be legendary.

>>80928313
>clearly, it's the audience that's wrong, not the product.
True. Capefags, in fact, are always wrong.
>>
>>80928250
I've browsed through many shelf threads, you can't get a discussion going even about mainstream DC, Marvel or Image titles.
>>
>>80928326
>and indie fans being smug

Isn't that what happens when they get triggered?
>>
>>80928318
Not really, no. Obviously, OP knew capefags would shit blood at the sad truths Clowes is telling. And so it happened.

>>80928363
>not filtering that landwhale
You must be new here? There are so many casuals in this board.
>>
>>80920631
Why do they always have glasses and beards?
>>
>>80928319
thatsthejoke.jpg

Most of the people in this thread defending capes or hating capes never read Clowes.
>>
>>80928391
>capefags don´t have glasses and beards
Really?
>>
File: 1455148431041.jpg (26KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1455148431041.jpg
26KB, 640x427px
>>80922083
Of course they did, EC was actually paying their artists well and not treating them as wagecucks.

At least we got Mad Magazine out of them getting fucked over.
>>
>>80928383
I don't know. It sounds more like you made the anti-Clowes posts and then tried to point to your own posts to say it's proof capefags are getting triggered.
>>
>>80928383
The landwhale is stupid, but not a shitposter like Xenos.
>>
>>80928393
And you have, which makes you the most intelligent anon here. Congrats!
>>
>>80928363
the problem is a lot of people in shelf threads buy comics just to have them, they see a 600 page book for like 30 dollars and get it just because, you have people in those threads who won't even touch a book if it's under 100 pages and costs more than 15 dollars because they don't see it being worth it
>>
>>80928106
A lot of what really hit me with Koko was the watercolor coloring and the sense of movement in all the poses. I haven't read Solanin and Aya, though! A lot of my "indie" comic reading relies on the eclectic tastes of nearby libraries, which will have a 50/50 mix of superhero graphic novels/omnibi and indie shit.

Yeah, and that's also a problem. I mean, most indies are too short, small, or not widely read enough to really generate a lot of group discussion. I know I could talk about Koko for a few hours with a close friend of mine maybe once! But we can talk about Spiderman for countless afternoons. With capeshit, not only do you have more people being on the same page at once, but there's also a lot more history to discuss; and with the constant influx of new readers to every hero, you've got plenty of retreading of conversational topics being perfectly fine.
>>
File: tinfoil-hat.jpg (13KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat.jpg
13KB, 178x178px
>>80928430
>y-you samefag!
>>
>>80928414
I don't have glasses or a beard
>>
>>80928483
But you're fat and full of pimples.
Inb4 I have muscles and such
>>
>>80928482
Resorting to memespeak only confirms it some more.
>>
>>80928528
Indeed. The term "meme" has some of the same letters as "samefag." Here's your Nobel prize.
>>
>>80928449
This is true, but that attitudine is a result of the hivemind being pushed and the
>is this good?
>yes
"discussions"

On the other hand I can understand people not wanting to pay a lot of money for 50 pages. I love Burns X'ed Out Trilogy but you have to buy three books, each only about 50 pages and each about 20 bucks. Black Hole on the other hand is a lot of bang for your buck.
>>
>>80928586
Still better than 5 bucks for 20 pages of bad capes.
>>
Okay. Then what would be Clowes's ideal comic book?
>>
File: 1454273662249.png (39KB, 166x188px) Image search: [Google]
1454273662249.png
39KB, 166x188px
It's funny that you goddamn capefaggots can criticize the everloving shit out of Marvel's and DC's artists, writers or awful business decisions, or bitching about casuals, but if a comic artist has the same negative feelings you all go "DURR HE JUST JEALOUS OF THAT BIG 2 SUCESS" and strawman the hell of them, usually proving their point.

/co/ continues to be the worst board.
>>
>>80928621
A good comic, not capeshit.
>>
>>80926286
>Why do people complain about Saga anyway? Its pretty damn good.

Here's a criticism of Saga: the arc with the Will being sick took way too long to wrap up. Some of the ending issue stingers border on melodrama or outright hysterics. Some of the characters have the same cadence to their speaking style.

Here's a /co/ critcism of saga: Why is there swearing? This is so juvenile. Vaughan is a jew faggot. Staples is fat and piglike. These allegories are obvious. Why is Saga so shitty 0/10 God I love all these fetishes. who wants to lick Hazel's feet. Lycng Cat ebin meme reddit comblr is real
>>
>>80928512
I am fat (linebacker fat anyway), but I actually have pretty clear skin since I cut out soda for water two years ago.

Hairy as fuck though. I'm like a yeti. Summers are unbearable.
>>
>>80928648
I always said that the more violent the fandom, the worst the product.

>>80928668
See? You're no better than a hipster, Sack O'lard.
>>
>>80928621
One with his name on the cover.
>>
>>80928621
Something among the lines of a slice-of-life comedy-drama.
>>
>>80928586
yeah but I think that's a bad example since burn's trilogy was made to be poured over and examined, it's not like his other short humor/surrealist comics which are very surface level outside the initial weirdness. burns played a lot with his sugar skull/x'ed out/ hive series out for the reader to want to go back and look at every page closely, moreover when the final one was released.
>>
>>80928235
>Genre fiction is mostly poop.

By any hard hitting critical standard mostly everything is poop.

>And an action adventure sci fi comic will often read like a cape comic.

And?
>>
>>80928648
Nice try, /tv/ reaction image crossposter
>>
>>80928452
Yeah, I agree - you would think Jen Wang came from animation, because it's a really beautiful blend of illustration and cartooning. It's kind of a shame she went more on the illustration route of things, I was hoping to see more comics from her. Koko Be Good was her debut wasn't it? It was really strong for a first book.

Totally agree about how the capeshit consistent audience makes it easier to discuss to. Not to mention it adds to the urgency of reading it, to be able to participate in discussion. It's like, I've seen three failed threads trying to talk about Clowes Patience - I know I'll eventually read it, but I don't have the need to read it TODAY like I do for the weekly Batman. We won't be able to talk about Patience here honestly for like, a month before you have enough people around to even get like 10 posts in a thread about it.

>>80928449
I mean, I've definitely bought books just for value or because I like the cover or whatever. I think we've sort of lost the idea of just reading a comic because it seems interesting and not because it's THE perfect or best comic ever worth collecting. People talked a little in this thread about just being bogged down in the collecting nature of comics, rather than the pure enjoyment or being a fan of comics and I think it's a really big problem in general for all comic readers these days
>>
>>80928621
he likes old comics from when he was younger and a few from his contemporaries, this is the case for all old indie cartoonists
>>
The truth is that even if Clowes is 100% right it's always going to sound like sour grapes, and htat he's mad he's not as popular.

Especially when its worded as such.
ESPECIALLY when it's on a site like Salon.
>>
File: Chair leg of Truth.jpg (40KB, 400x581px) Image search: [Google]
Chair leg of Truth.jpg
40KB, 400x581px
>>80928655
Well there is a lot of that. The Goon, Atomic Robo, Saga, Hellboy, Transmetropolitan, Sin Sity.
>>
>>80920891
>calls us "emotional defectives"

HE STARTED IT
>>
>>80920843
>inexplicable
Anon, it was the Comics Code that did in other genres with appeal towards adults.
It did for comics what the Hays Code did for animation in the US.

Comics and animation as mediums for more varied and more adult stories were set back quite a lot for that reason.
>>
>>80928818
Only now with the internet are we recovering.
>>
>>80928621

An illustration edition of the dictionary.
>>
>>80921121
>>80921195
High school is a setting, not a genre, and the Japanese are generally nostalgically fond of high school and "youth." Their television dramas and movies also have high school as the setting far more than American shows and movies.

>>80921205
Manga is mainstream in Japan, and high school settings don't have anything to do with NEETs.

>>80922990
>The anime industry is in a creative downturn, too.
This is a myth perpetuated by people who don't watch anime.

>>80923048
They can afford to pay people, and you are confusing animators with writers. The stories for anime most often come from manga and light novels, or are otherwise written by one or two people.

Pandering is a myth and does not exist.

>>80923129
>merchandise driving those shows
The merchandise is a by-product in almost every case.

>Action cartoons have basically died in both the West and East.
There are about twelve action shows this season, not including shows carrying over from last season, indefinitely running daytime shows, and one show that came back from a hiatus recently.
>>
>>80928818
>Anon, it was the Comics Code that did in other genres with appeal towards adults.

The only genre the comics code really killed off was True Crime.
All the other major genres in comics- Western, Romance, Cartoon Comedy, Cash-In Licensed Crap- carried on until the 70s, and by then even Horror was back in some form.
>>
File: southland-stills04.jpg (151KB, 1222x813px) Image search: [Google]
southland-stills04.jpg
151KB, 1222x813px
>>80920914
>We'll never get a Great Society ongoing
>>
>>80928783
>The Goon
Pulp genre shit
>Atomic Robo
Pulp Genre shit
>Saga
Tumblr pandering genre shit
>Hellboy
Pulp and capeshit
>Transmetropolitan
Pulp genre sci fi shit. Would have been better as a straight biography of Hunter Thompson
>Sin City
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>80928938
Nah horror was definitely fucked by th code, iirc you were not allowed to show anything that could be described as "monstrous". Which was left vague so that the CCA could fuck over anyone as they pleased
>>
>>80928960
>memeposting-level descriptions
>>
>>80928980
Only during the late 50's and 60's though.

By the 70's horror was back.
>>
So what does Clowes do? Slice of life studies of lesbian teenagers in midwestern towns?
>>
File: wilson_11.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_11.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929020
>>
>>80929020
humor(primarily satire), surrealism and drama. his most recent is a sci-if book
>>
>>80928621
slice of life story about assholes
>>
>>80928818
The Comics Code doesn't explain why superhero stories became so dominant. There are many other stories that could have been told without violating the Comics Code.

Same thing with Hays Code. It doesn't explain why American animation went down the cartoon animation road.
>>
File: wilson_15.jpg (1018KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_15.jpg
1018KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929038
>>
All comic books suck end of story.
>>
>>80928621
Anything put out by his personal friends, and thats it.

>>80928648
>strawman the hell of them, usually proving their point

You did not read the interview. Take off your agenda goggles & read it again or are you too busy masturbating to your own smugness?
>>
>>80928938
I mean, many genres continued but in such a neutered unappealing way that it DID essentially kill them. People stopped wanting them because they were so mediocre thanks to the regulations they were subjected to, so comics lost the bulk of their general audience.

I think the change in the market recently has more to do with manga than the internet though.

>>80929038
Surreal slice of life + elements of sci-fi I guess is the best way to describe it.
>>
>>80929038
See this is what happens when parents spoil their kids.
>>
File: mol.jpg (223KB, 1023x745px) Image search: [Google]
mol.jpg
223KB, 1023x745px
>>80920631
>I want to be Alan Moore so bad; The Interview
>>
File: wilson_17.jpg (935KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_17.jpg
935KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929074
>>
>>80928980
What I'm saying is that killing Horror off didn't stick.

The 70s were full of all kinds of horror comics, and if anything killed them off, it was the increasing publishing costs that kept driving up prices and causing shit like the DC Implosion.
>>
>>80929066
Purposely vague wording that makes it absurdly easy to stamp down on anything they might find objectionable.
>>
>>80928960

So like, what doesn't meet your definition of shit?

biocomics like Alan's War or the Alcoholic?

Or historical fiction like Incognegro, or Essex County?

How about near-future speculative scifi like 100% by Paul Pope? Or the Nobody?

How about magical realism/fantasy like pop gun war, Beast by Marian Churchland, or Frankenstein's Wimb by Warren Ellis?
>>
File: dddd.jpg (76KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
dddd.jpg
76KB, 560x407px
>>80920631
Literally who.
>>
>>80921791
That's a big pretzel
>>
>>80929066
>There are many other stories that could have been told without violating the Comics Code.
I don't think you fully realize just how constrictive the code was.

Moral ambiguity, for example, was absolutely verboten.
>>
>>80929091
He's Daniel Clowes, pretty much the biggest name in US alternative comics. He's a critical darling, the elevated king of his genre awed over for his smart, grown up comics - why would he want to be Moore?
>>
File: wilson_21.jpg (937KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_21.jpg
937KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929093
>>
>>80929038
>>80929074
>>80929093
Okay real talk this is all out of context right? There's some actual story there and not this one asshole giving uninvited soliloquies, right?
>>
>>80929074
Is Clowes saying that you should interrupt your work to talk to strangers? Or is the joke that glasses guy is being a dick?
>>
>>80929158
The book is set up like a collection of gag comics featuring one main character, it isn't narrative driven.
>>
>>80928840
True. I'd say that the cultural exchange we're getting with globalization is also helping.

Euro comics and manga are both more respected genres in their home countries because they had the opportunity to grow organically and reach the point where they were seen as accessible to all ages.

>>80928938
>>80929013
>>80929066
Whereas in America, the CCA stigmatized comics as kiddie fare in the collective mind of Americans. That's the most far-reaching effect that it's had, and has been far more damaging to the industry.
To most people comics = superheroes and the funny pages. And instead of trying to tell stories with adult appeal, we've had to shoehorn DRAMA and ANGST in our superhero comics.
Nobody would have read about or cared about Watchmen if it wasn't a sendup of cape comics.

The Hays Code combined with Disney's reluctance to cater to adult audiences has similarly helped contribute to a stunted and infantilized animation industry in the US.
>>
>>80929164
Obviously the latter.

You don't need to comb through his work looking for an attack vector to disagree with his rant about capefags.
>>
you guys obviously dont know much about clowes if you think he's complaining because his work isn't "more popular" - he's really about as mainstream as indie gets.

i wish they would make a /co/ board specifically for capes: cape movies, tv shows, and comics.

but it's true, people just think comics = superheroes. one time i was reading pussey! at lunch and some dude came up to me and asked me what kind of comics i liked, told me he liked batman, spiderman, etc. when i explained i didn't read superhero stuff he looked at me like i had two heads. i hate having to constantly explain that i draw comics - no, not those sorts of comics - or having to explain the medium has more depth than the superhero genre. my dad will give me shit for drawing cartoons because the average joe sees them as kiddie fair - no thanks to fucking capes.
>>
>>80929104
>>80929119
What was preventing anyone from making, say, an inspirational story about a baseball team? There was no reason why superhero comics would have become dominant just because of the Comics Code.

There's also something to be said for the fact that the Comics Code was voluntarily enacted by the industry. Yes, they did it to pre-empt government regulation, but I don't see why they had to go so far and why they couldn't have argued the matter in court and appealed to the first amendment. The game industry didn't do anything so drastic when they were faced with the same situation later, they just came up with age ratings.
>>
>>80929200
>Euro comics and manga are both more respected genres in their home countries
Manga isn't respected in Japan at all
>>
File: wilson_39.jpg (1001KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_39.jpg
1001KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929158
He's an asshole without self-awareness. But there's an overall story going on when it's all read together.
>>
>>80929187
Oh so it's kafkaeqsue.
>>
>>80929038
>>80929074
>>80929093
>>80929150
Maybe my perspective is colored by his comments in the OP post, but all of these utterly fail as comedy.
>>
>>80929274
They aren't gag lines
>>
>>80926286
Most people hate it because it's popular and "casuals" like t. Personally, I like the first volumes, but think it's gotten kind of stale.
>>
>>80929303
They don't seem to be anything.
>>
>>80929200
The CCA didn't make people think comics were kid's stuff, though. The whole reason why Wertham's campaign against them was effective because that's what they universally were seen as, and him using (poorly performed) research linking them to juvenile delinquency made "Please won't someone think of the children" much more effective.
>>
>>80929143
Because, like Moore, he's buttmad at cape comics for outselling his Graphic Novels, so much so that it's probably shitting out of his face.
>>
>>80929268
I don't understand, wilson isn't really set up that oddly. it's a comic framed as one page comics to tell a story, it's not different than like a Prince Valiant collection or any other newspaper comic that features a primary protagonist the reader follows around. I don't get how people have a hard time figuring this out
>>
>>80929303
I don't know, the endings kind of seem like the're intended to be punch lines, except they aren't actually funny. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the appeal is supposed to be.
>>
>>80929379
...Never saw Mission Hill then?
>>
>>80929393
A character study
>>
>>80923496
In which case you are also wrong. What you listed were comic strips. Which then were then collected into the first comic books. But comic books didn't find true success until when? Oh right, Action Comics #1.

Featuring a superhero.
>>
File: wilson_42.jpg (781KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_42.jpg
781KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929256
>>
>>80928614
Sure, but you're being very little quantity for a lot of money. With black Hole you pay less money and you get more pages and it is the more popular Burns work. I personally prefer his X'Ed Out trilogy but my point is that I'd understand why people would prefer buying Black Hole over X'Ed Out, The Hive and Sugar Skull.

>>80928704
Yeah, it's pretty dense actually and even though there's only 50 pages you still can't read one of the chapters faster than 2-3 hours at best while, say, the last Spider-man trade is 150 pages for the same price but you read it in one hour tops.

I haven' really read anything from Burns aside from Black Hole and X'Ed Out trilogy, I wasn't even aware he did more since he took so long to release new material between X'Ed Out, The Hive and Sugar Skull.

Still though it is a lot of money to invest in it and it's understandable why people don't rush into paying for the three books. It's like how I've seen some Druillet pages but I can't bring myself to buy Loan Sloane because there's, what, three trades? and they're expensive and they're all under 90 pages and it might not actually be very well written, just well drawn.
>>
>>80929393
I think you have to have a certain sense of intellectual superiority to get them. It's shocking how relevant the Emperor's New Clothes continues to be into adulthood.
>>
>>80923496

Also, Superheroes ARE a genre. So yes, superheroes were the foundation of the genre.

You mean medium.
>>
File: wilson_46.jpg (914KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_46.jpg
914KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929447
>>
>>80929393
The setting, tone and style reminds me of New Yorker cartoons but, as you said, they're just not funny
>>
File: wilson_51.jpg (993KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_51.jpg
993KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929500
>>
>>80929424
that person didn't distinguish between books and strips. they said >the comic industry

>>80929455
you're right - medium, not genre. the medium didn't find its genesis with superheroes, then.
>>
>>80929356
Tone down the projection and reread the OP, douchebag.
>>
People also forget that manga/anime were filling a void in Japan that didn't exist in the West. We have an extremely well developed live-action scene, with a wide range of stories being created historically (even if we're in remake world right now) and rebellion didn't take the form of comics in the US like it did in Japan.

Japan had generation manga and then had people who grew up on it wanting those stories to grow up with them. THey used manga to explore the world and challenge preconceptions, in the West especially the States that was the role music took instead.

But in a way we're getting our own manga generation now, with kids who grew up on imported manga wanting to revolutionize their own industry taking queues from the stories they were inspired by.
>>
>>80929505
So just like New Yorker cartoons?
>>
>>80929500
>>80929447
I haven't read Wilson in years - didn't realize it was so much like Fante Bukowski. (or should I say Fante Bukowski is like Wilson.)
>>
File: wilson_55.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_55.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929509
>>
Plain and simple comics wouldn't still be around without capes, this dude can bitch an moan all he wants but with DC and Marvel keeping the whole industry's afloat with the comics and movies he would be crying himself to sleep (if he isn't doing that already, the whiny cunt)
>>
File: wilson_57.jpg (879KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_57.jpg
879KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929573
>>
>>80929248
Bullshit.

Manga is sold at street corners and every demographic reads manga.

The otaku culture that sees it as the number one priority in life is what isn't accepable.
The problem with manga is that it's slowly starting to cannibalize itself by catering specifically to otaku instead, since otaku types are starting to get into the industry.

>>80929344
>only kids read comics, so let's ban anything that's inappropriate for kids!
You don't think that this line of thinking had a negative effect on the industry as a whole?
>>
>>80929547
New Yorker cartoons are usually at least amusing. The Clowes pages being posted here aren't.
>>
File: wilson_58.jpg (863KB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_58.jpg
863KB, 1600x2215px
>>80929590
>>
>>80929546
>We have an extremely well developed live-action scene
Not true. There are very few truly great filmmakers in america right now. Japan has it better.
>>
>>80929547
>>80929505
>>80929393
it's subtle humor. i guess it needs to be hamfisted le random xD deadpool cape humor for you to appreciate it.
>>
>>80921437

>Do you think "real" writers do this?

yes, there are MANY examples of this.

Like Twain fucking hating Fennymore Cooper (who was like the Tarantino of his time, wrote The Last Mohican and other stuff that was considerable more popular than Twain's stuff at the time) and used every resource he had access to in order to shittalk him
>>
Funny how he talks about emotional immaturity and arrested development when his works display that he clearly he missed that childhood milestone of realizing no one gives a fuck about what you have to say.

If you hit 21 thinking that you're a unique voice with something meaningful to impart then someone, most likely a parent, has failed you.
>>
Schizo is a way better comic than Eightball.
>>
>>80929691
It's not subtle, you can tell the jokes right away. Problem is I don't find these jokes funny. And I'm the kind of guy who likes New Yorker cartoons.
>>
>>80928245
Listen if you don't want to make small talk in a cab then just say so, don't be a dick about it.
>>
>>80929713
Not even just writers, Lincoln used to put out a paper under a pseudonym and would trash talk other politicians. People don't just magically incapable of insulting people once they turn a certain age.
>>
>>80929688
>There are very few truly great filmmakers in america right now.

kek

American has not only the good "american filmmakers", but also the good ones from most of the western world. In no way Japan compares, as their quality output is but a trickle compared the the good stuff that comes from america as far as live action is concerned.
>>
File: 1454560442837.jpg (17KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
1454560442837.jpg
17KB, 250x150px
>>80928726
>post Mickey
>"/tv/ reaction image"
/co/ continues to be the worst board, etc.

>>80929081
>You did not read the interview.
I did. He never talked about any finical success he had or complained about how much money superhero properties get, or anything about cape comics being bad. But /co/ will get butthurt about comic creators criticizing the industry, even if they share some of the same opinions.
>>
>>80929107
Don't bother, he is either a troll or a nitpickey little shit that will shoot down any suggestions.
>>
>>80920914
I never got the criticism about simplistic morality. Doesn't it imply that Millar is a great comic writer, or make LOTR and a few ancient mythologies as bad fiction?
>>
So /co/ got really shit these last few years, huh.
>>
>>80929840
>So 4chan got really shit these last few years, huh.
Ftfy
>>
>>80929840
Not really, this isn't that much different from 8 years ago.
>>
File: wilson_63.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_63.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929617
>>
>>80929754
they're not really supposed to be kneeslappers though.
>>
I don't know much about Daniel Clowes. I've only read a few of his comics. Would you say he's a beta loser?
>>
>>80920631

He's half right. Superhero movies are mostly stupid and cape books usually aren't great at all. Disney is full kiddie mode so while this is all true some of his opinions about the medium come off as pretentious and outdated. He might not realize the industry wouldn't even exist if superheroes weren't around. Kind of autismo/ungrateful and not really seeing the big picture. Live and let live ya know?
>>
>>80929812
>American has not only the good "american filmmakers", but also the good ones from most of the western world
Nigger please, look at what's fucking coming out this summer

And for the rest of the year we either get the same generic suburban thriller films, some historical oscar bait, some shitty kids films outside of lakia, and some more edgy comedies with the same exact sense of humor.
>>
>>80929691
>You shut up fo' I gon' turn yo' assho' into a pussy
>subtle humor
>>
>>80929812
What, you mean like Inaritu? guy sucks.
>>
>>80929909
What good directors are coming out if Japan then?
>>
File: wilson_69.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_69.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929881
>>
>>80929881
What is this? This is the most boring comic I ever read/skimmed through.
>>
>>80928245
You have to be some kinda special asshole to act like this.
>hey you know that extremly popular movie that everyone is america is talking about
>I don't watch kiddie shit Imma an adult!
>t-the movie isn't really meant for kids
>RELIGION AND POLITICS ARE THE SAME THING WAKE UP SHEEPLE
>>
>>80929864
2008 was way better, TDK and Avatar threads aside

We have a bunch of moviefags and memeposters from /tv/ now, along with SJWs

though waifufags have never let up, unfortunetely
>>
>>80929918
he isn't American
>>
>>80921400

Jim Steranko went on a similar rant after 9/11.
>>
>>80929931
>You have to be some kinda special asshole to act like this.

Uh yeah, that is Wilson in a nutshell going by the rest of the pages.
>>
>>80929915
yeah. duh. but most of the jokes rely on the interplay between the characters. it's pretty similar to king of the hill, actually - given, lots of people don't like that show because they find it "boring" too.

>>80929887
Not really. He's just a normal dude.
>>
>>80929864
It's a lot more /tv/ thanks to all the caped live action shit.

>>80929909
That doesn't mean that for the last 50 years, America tells their adult nuanaced stories via live action. I know we're at a loss for original stories right now and the movie film industry is revolving around remakes and reboots, but that's a really recent trend. If you're looking at original stories, America TV still has a lot to offer compared to the Eastern markets.

Nobody is saying Japan can't and hasn't released quality over the year, but like the other OP said - it's a trickle compared to America's flood.

They use manga/anime to tell stories that we tell through film/tv.
>>
>>80929909
There are entire film festivals for artsy fartsy crap anon.
>>
File: wilson_74.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_74.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929923
>>
>>80929688
>Japan has it better.

Japan's film industry has imploded to idol pandering.
>>
>>80929955
I know, that's my point. You said that the industry in America doesn't only have american filmmakers.
>>
File: wilson_75.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_75.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929976
>>
>>80929931
>I AM SILLY

Also, what is adult about The Dark Knight? How is it different from Indiana Jones or Star Wars? Violence isn't "adult", idiot.
>>
>>80929969
American tv is in the gutter though.
>>
File: wilson_80.jpg (1MB, 1600x2215px) Image search: [Google]
wilson_80.jpg
1MB, 1600x2215px
>>80929990
>>
>>80929956
That guy barely ever made comics. I don't get why anyone cares about him Marvel marketing I guess
>>
>>80929909
if you only care about the big studio tentpole shit, then thats your problem

many of the good films coming out right now are indies/independent and in a more generalized live-action sense; there are some very high quality tv shows too

by claiming japan has hit better, you honestly sound like a weeb. the only cultural sphere that is as good or better than the american-western one is the yuropian in terms of live-action
>>
>>80929981
There's a lot of garbage anywhere you look. loads of garbage manga, loads of garbage capeshit comics, loads of garbage blockbuster hollywood shit. But in Japan you still have people like Sion Sono making outstanding films. And Miike is inconsistent but that's to be expected since he makes so many movies every wear. Still, he's made some real gems.
>>
File: 2906580-justice_league_alex_ross.jpg (133KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2906580-justice_league_alex_ross.jpg
133KB, 1024x768px
>>80920631
>>I am laughing at the fact that for years, when we were doing “Eightball” and “Hate” and “Love & Rockets” and stuff, we thought, “What we’re doing is really the mainstream stuff. It’s like comics for adults, that a general audience could read… and only the tiniest niche audience of emotional defectives care about superhero comics.”
The thing I do not like about this line of thought is that it's sort of implying that you have to be an "emotional defective" to relate to a character who is anything but a walking baggage of personal issues and insecurities engaged in a dysfunctional relationship of some sort. It seems like Clowes believes that all Superheroes are Omnipotent paragons of morality. Not only is this not true but also means that he assumes "normal" people can not relate to powerful people who actually want to help people.
>>
>>80929955
he makes movies in the US with us based prduction money and us actors
>>
>>80920631
Nigga if you wanted to write boring everyday shit you should work on Sitcoms.
>>
>Wilson
You should have posted something good dude
>>
File: 1453760432690.png (240KB, 330x342px) Image search: [Google]
1453760432690.png
240KB, 330x342px
>>80930033
>impyling the Steranko History of Comics isn't GOAT
>>
>>80930011
And Japanese tv is even worse when it comes to telling stories.
>>
>>80930011
Not it isn't, especially compared to other countries. Shows are getting huge budgets and are allowed more freedom than ever.
>>
>>80930116
Oh by far. But that still doesn't mean american tv is producing much high quality shit.
>>
File: Nick_Fury_of_SHIELD(1000)_001_11.jpg (229KB, 975x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Nick_Fury_of_SHIELD(1000)_001_11.jpg
229KB, 975x1450px
>>80930033
>That guy barely ever made comics. I don't get why anyone cares about him Marvel marketing I guess

Marvel marketing? Really? Marvel has basically abandoned his style. Grayson over at DC is actually a better riff on the tone he set.

The guy was doing format stuff in the 60's ahead of everyone else.
>>
>>80930081
>Not only is this not true but also means that he assumes "normal" people can not relate to powerful people who actually want to help people.
Most superhero stories are about the conflicts between heroes though.
>>
>>80930148
>especially compared to other countries
I suppose, but being better than something bad doesn't automatically make you great.
>Shows are getting huge budgets
Literally who the fuck cares about that?
>>
>>80929604
>You don't think that this line of thinking had a negative effect on the industry as a whole?

Not nearly as much as is made out of it. Codeless indie books exploded throughout the 60s, Magazine Format comics started circumventing it by the end of the 60s, and the code itself started to be amended to allow a lot in the 70s. So it wasn't for very long that the Code really shut down anyone really wanting to push the medium.
>>
>>80930011
>American tv is in the gutter though.

American tv is in a Renaissance. There's more quality material than ever.
>>
>>80930148
Yeah seeing people die on Game of Thrones really helps with the otherwise garbage storytelling :^)
>>
>>80930202
>There's more quality material than ever.
Eh, not really.
>>
>>80930011
>Fargo
>True Detective s1
>Homeland s1-s2
>The Expanse
>DD
>Outlander
>GoT

Thats just what i personally liked enough to remember. There are more im sure.
>>
>>80929993
Didn't say it was adult, just said it wasn't meant a kids movie i.e. not aimed at kids.
>>
>>80930159
I mean, US television has a really wide range of complex stories right now. You have everything from Crazy Ex Girlfriend to Unreal to House of Cards to The Americans to Daredevil

Just very different kind of stories with lots of freedom to go in whatever direction you want, well shot and directed in lots of different tones. That's pretty unparalleled in the East, and comics take up that space instead.

Since we are well covered, there isn't the same push for comics to tell adult stories
>>
I agree that comics could use an audience more willing to participate in a variety of genres, but Clowes is obviously fucking butthurt that capeshit is overtaking his sales and fame.

That's how you get the upper hand. Shit on people having fun. [Laughs]
>>
>>80930221
There is, the problem is that there's so much tv/streaming that there is a lot more shit than ever as well.
>>
>>80930177
He wasn't ahead of anything there are a ton of EC guys that were better than him
>>
>>80930239
You seriously think DD and GoT are high quality tv? Come on now... not that the other are anything amazing either, but still.
>>
>>80929931
I always see it as a sign of immaturity when people have to confirm their adult hood by acting dismissive or demeaning.
>>
>>80929993
How is it a kid's movie?
>>
>>80921400
How exactly can one blame dark and gritty comics on liberals? What's his thought process?
>>
>>80930258
>US television has a really wide range of complex stories right now
Uh, not really.

>>80930270
But at the same time I feel like there's no truly amazing tv show going on right now.
>>
>>80930278
Sure.

They are both entertaining fantasy soap operas.
>>
File: NickFuryAgentofShield02-05.jpg (408KB, 1222x1821px) Image search: [Google]
NickFuryAgentofShield02-05.jpg
408KB, 1222x1821px
>>80930273
>He wasn't ahead of anything

Yes he was.

>there are a ton of EC guys that were better than him

They're all dead, He isa bronze god with skin like fine Italian leather.
>>
>>80930337
Fargo.
>>
>>80930311
I think he's saying liberals see thee world as shades of gray rather than black and white.
>>
>>80930178
>Most superhero stories are about the conflicts between heroes though.
They don't fight each other that much but when they do they only fight each other because they have conflicting ideas of what it means to help people.
>>
>>80930337
What is good television to you? I listed some very well done series in all different kinds of tones and aimed at different audiences, and you just go; "No". Like the ones I listed are well-acted, well shot, well-written and created with a lot of care and appealing in different ways.

And even if you don't like them, it doesn't change y point that the market for adult stories is dominated in the US by live action productions in a way that they 100% aren't in the East.
>>
>>80930397
But conservatives are usually the ones in using violence against our enemies to solve all of our problems, which is what grim and gritty comics are all about
>>
>>80930337

Dude, without responding with more than just a no, you're just gonna appear contrarian.
>>
>>80930273
>He wasn't ahead of anything there are a ton of EC guys that were better than him

What a generic criticism
>>
>>80930081
I don't like it as its a self back patting, narcissistic attitude.

Our stuff is so much better than whats popular! The people that like the popular thing are just a tiny group that are stupid dumb dumbs! Real smart people read our comics!
>>
File: ghost-world_SD2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg (60KB, 758x426px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-world_SD2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg
60KB, 758x426px
I'm gonna get shit for this but I'm really surprised how many people in this thread don't know about Clowes already.

Dude had a book adapted into a movie, dudes's comics are story timed quite a bit, I've been seeing threads about Patience, and then there was the whole Shia Lebouf thing.

Like, man. What the fuck. Clowes is entry level as shit, has had all the elements /co/ likes to gain notice of him and people still don't know him. I'm just baffled, man.
>>
>>80929546
Anime probably fills a void to an extent since Japan's television and film industries are low budget compared to America's, and scifi and fantasy epics are hard to do, though there were scifi shows and movies too during the time when anime started being developed.

But anime is much more than scifi and fantasy. There were already shows in the 60s and 70s that could have just as well been accomplished in live action, and in fact later were. And those were usually based on manga.

Manga had already "matured" in the 60s or 70s, and didn't need to grow up with its audience.
>>
>>80930455
uh, nope
>>
>>80930437
>the ones in favor of using violence
>>
>>80930467
Not everyone follows everything. And that includes people who don't read comics in general. Once you understand that it becomes less surprising. Shit, I didn't start reading Clowes stuff till like six years ago.
>>
>>80930467
>Book adapted into a movie
Oh are you talking about the thing with Shia?
>>
>>80930391
>>80930457
>no arguments
You're such sore losers. I bet you'll respond to this too
>>
>>80930416
The Wire, Sopranos, In Treatment
>And even if you don't like them, it doesn't change y point that the market for adult stories is dominated in the US by live action productions in a way that they 100% aren't in the East.
I never said I disagree. My point was that american tv is not doing outstanding groundbreking stuff right now. American tv shows are of higher quality than tv show from other countries right now, sure, but I don't think the medium is in a place right now where I find it very exciting.
My initial point a couple of posts ago about Japan vs America in terms of live action was more in terms of movies, where I think there are still talented people with a voice in Japan making live action movies, and I shouldn't single out Japan, Korea and China are making good movies too, yes there's a lot of mainstream poop being done there too, but there are still gems which is something I don't see much out in America.
>>
>>80930269
>Clowes is obviously fucking butthurt that capeshit is overtaking his sales and fame

how many posters have made this post in this thread and don't realize clowes isn't threatened by the success of cape stories at all? he's right. you would think the fantastic, spandex wearing men of myth would be the subgenre and stories about ordinary folks would be the norm. once i discovered there was stuff OTHER than cape comics in the west, i never went back. some superhero comics are nuanced, but for the most part it appeals to the retelling of a safe, popular myth. cape comics are consumer objects, indie/alternative comics are art objects. two very different functions within the same medium.
>>
>>80930081
I guess that answers the question: "Can someone be so far up their own ass that they can not find their way out"
>>
>>80930467
Dan Clowes was also on the Simpsons. That's as mainstream as you can get.
Not sure why Lisa was allowed to read Ghost World.
>>
>>80930598
Do you buy $30 silk screened zines?
>>
>>80930584
>You're such sore losers. I bet you'll respond to this too

Fella, if after having read Steranko's work in comics you can't see how innovative he was for comics in the 1960's, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

He did extraordinary work worthy of praise. Can you inform of material from the same era by other writers & artists that you feel rivals his work?
>>
>>80930546
Nah I get that but still, dude's a huge name in the world of indies and alt comics. I dunno, man. I shouldn't be surprised especially considering all the traffic /co/ is pulling from just the movie going audience who don't read comics but for some reason I just am.

>>80930562
Can't tell if serious or not.
>>
>>80930455
I don't know what you want me to say, I just don't think there's a large variety of tone done in that particular medium and I don't see much anything being done right now that's truly outstanding. Some decent stuff, maybe a few good series, but nothing great and certainly nothing to make me take a deep breath and say "wow"

>>80930467
I've only read Ghost World and Death Ray from him but I don't feel like he's worthy of the praise. I've read better work from other cartoonists. Oh and the pages posted in this thread are not very funny.

>>80930484
Anime actually had a good period, maybe around 2002-2007 or so where there was plenty of good stuff with a varied tone coming out but anime right now is in the gutter.
>>
>>80930590
>but there are still gems which is something I don't see much out in America.

there are more "gems" coming out from the west than from asia on a yearly basis

that you like more asian stuff is a your personal taste, but the west, and specially america, simply churn out more stuff, and when even a "low budget" film has a 40m budget, production values skyrocket when decent filmmakers are involved (not even great ones, but just "good ones")
>>
>>80930467
> Clowes is entry level as shit

This!! And he's actually had two movie adaptions, both with Terry Zwigoff - Ghost World and Art School Confidential. The latter didn't really catch on (probably cause it's hard to stretch a page or two into a feature length film) but it's basically an extended version of the art class segments in Ghost World. If you've ever been in an art school/program it'll have you in tears (the good kind.)
>>
>>80930467
We (or at least I) know who Clowes is. But taht doesn't mean we think he is a good writer.

On the contrary the guy is a hack and writes over rated (in a strange way), boring, Indie drivel.
>>
>>80930708
Haven't you ever heard of Bernard Krigstein you pleb?
>>
>>80930730
>there are more "gems" coming out from the west than from asia on a yearly basis
I can't agree with that

>that you like more asian stuff is a your personal taste
I don't really like 'asian stuff" better, I just prefer asian cinema

>and when even a "low budget" film has a 40m budget
Seriously, who gives a shit about budget? You think just because you have a budget of 100 million your movie's going to be better than some really low budget film like Tokyo Trash baby?
>>
>>80930794
Literally who?
>>
>>80930718
>I've only read Ghost World and Death Ray from him but I don't feel like he's worthy of the praise. I've read better work from other cartoonists. Oh and the pages posted in this thread are not very funny.
Being worthy of praise is different from being relevant for discussion. Clowes falls into the latter. Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is the comic I see most praise and story times here on /co/, Ghost World is mostly just talked about because it got the movie and the Shia Lebouf thing was just something to talk about because it crossed all sorts of airwaves

>>80930759
Personally I am not a fan of Clowes. I am just commenting on how I find it surprising many people are going "literal who" and "had to google this guy." I guess the thing about elements /co/ likes what a mess up on my part, I just meant that /co/ likes watching movie adaptations of comics and then coming to /co/
>>
File: nick-fury-7-spread-steranko.jpg (569KB, 1975x1450px) Image search: [Google]
nick-fury-7-spread-steranko.jpg
569KB, 1975x1450px
>>80930794
>Haven't you ever heard of Bernard Krigstein you pleb?

Has he ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air, topless on a motorcycle while smoking a cigar?
>>
>>80929604
"Otaku" have existed since the late 70s and early 80s and have always been part of the manga industry. And the anime industry. And the game industry. And the light novel industry.

The manga industry is huge and can accomodate everyone. It's not being taken over by whatever "otaku" strawman you have envisioned. "Otaku" is a nebulous concept anyway, and Westerners have a particularly distorted and poor understanding of it.

>>80930258
>That's pretty unparalleled in the East, and comics take up that space instead.
Anime takes up that space, though you are somewhat underestimating Japanese live action shows.

Also there's no reason to call Japan "the East." It's just Japan.

>>80930718
>anime right now is in the gutter.
This is a myth.
>>
File: ZONA.jpg (87KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
ZONA.jpg
87KB, 768x576px
>>80930682
I did just buy a $20 zine with silkscreen covers, but it was worth every buck, buddy.

I don't mind dropping more on zines/DIY products specifically because they are handmade in a small run with more effort placed into the creation of each book - versus a trade that's a mass print (but, of course, the value there lies in the higher page count. page count =/= amount of content, though.)

pic related - is: http://auction.comicsworkbook.com/2016/01/24/zona-01-january-2016/
>>
>>80930887
> I am just commenting on how I find it surprising many people are going "literal who" and "had to google this guy."
They're mostly just joking though.
>>
>>80930813
>Seriously, who gives a shit about budget? You think just because you have a budget of 100 million your movie's going to be better than some really low budget film like Tokyo Trash baby?

are you really this simple?

money is the great equalizer in live-action production quality

your dp may not be awesome, but if you have the right equipment to product beautiful shots, you can do it

your story creator may not be the best screenwriter, but if you hire someone to doctor it, then fucking magic can happen

your crew may not be most experienced or skilled, but putting money in the right places can make up for it

not everybody can be shane carruth and make something amazing for $7k

money is EXTREMELY important in live action
>>
File: PUSSEY!.jpg (310KB, 1066x1656px) Image search: [Google]
PUSSEY!.jpg
310KB, 1066x1656px
somebody make a new thread and storytime this
>>
>>80930894
Anyone have that one recolor?
>>
You know the type of people that bitch and moan about how ALL AMERICAN MADE MOVIE=BAD and FOREIGN FILM = GOOD typically are not worth the time to try to argue with.

And Vise versa. No one country/industry makes constant great films, but great films can come from ANYWHERE.

OF course saying your taste = shit while my taste = amazing, is always douchey and will only lead to a endless argument.
>>
>>80930930
>This is a myth.
Oh, it's you again.
>>
>>80931002
Oh, we're pretending to be on Reddit again where people have usernames and post histories. I guess we're also pretending that "you have visited 4chan before!" is supposed to be some kind of argument.
>>
>>80930954
>money is EXTREMELY important in live action
I just can't agree with this. At all. I've seen low budget movies have some beautiful shots in there, miles better than anything I've sen in 100 million budget movies. For me, the loads and loads of high quality cgi, the tons of make up and shit like that is not aesthetically pleasing. let's not even get into the explosions. Even american movies that I really really like don't have a big budget.
>>
>>80930998
>No one country/industry makes constant great films, but great films can come from ANYWHERE.
True. But there's also a case that one country might produce 100 shits and 2 gems a year while a different country might produce 60 shits and 20 gems a year. I know it's easy to have an agenda and just take everything into extremes and think "well this guy just hates everything this and likes everything that" but that's not the case.
>>
>>80931025
Well, considering that anon likes to deny reality, it wouldn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>80931312
?
>>
>>80931085
>I just can't agree with this.

Do you know that even paying for shooting rights on certain locations costs money if you don't know how to approach the authorities (or risk doing it guerrila-style).

I'm not even talking about into cgi costs or practical effects, just elementary filmmaking, and this talking in a post-film era where you can piggyback lots of the cost on software licenses that are comparatively chip as dirt.

You see all those low budged sub $10k masterpieces? BIG portions of the real cost of where absorbed by free work and guerrilla-tactics as they are passion projects; and im sure you can corroborate this if you read the interviews.
>>
>>80930794
>>80930584
This is pleb-tier arguing. Saying that an artist should be diminished because other artists predate him is usually said by someone with little analytical skill.
>>
>>80931592
>he was ahead of his time
>but this guy did it be-
>shut up he was ahead of his time!
>>
>>80922926
>All that awkward as fuck beta.
Thread posts: 581
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.