[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Comic Books were a mistake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

File: alanmoore.png (577KB, 731x834px) Image search: [Google]
alanmoore.png
577KB, 731x834px
>Comic Books were a mistake
>>
>>80892709
Old man yells at cloud.png
>>
>>80892771

He's right though
>>
So, the same attitude that Miyazaki has towards anime?
>>
>>80892709
The only people who disagree with this are hopelessly addicted fanboys.
>>
>>80892852
He never actually said that, you know.
>>
>>80892852
But Miyazaki still makes anime
>>
>>80892709
>he plans to withdraw from public life
Hasn't he said this twice a year for the last 20 years?
>>
Comic books or Cape in general?
>>
>>80892709
He's right
>>
File: 1427680235723.jpg (47KB, 576x480px) Image search: [Google]
1427680235723.jpg
47KB, 576x480px
>>
>>80892709
>NOHO
What did he implied by that?
>>
>>80892991

Bros B4 Hoes, mang.
>>
Alan Morre turns into Steve Ditko?
>>
Is there a reason why I should care about anything this hobo has to say?
>>
>>80892709
As if I'm going to take the word of a man who looks like a hippy Hagrid and made a career out of writing superheroes.
>>
>>80892942

>can't even be bothered to look at the image

Fucking millennials
>>
>>80890736
>>
>>80892709
he's just butthurt Warner bros actually managed to make Watchmen despite his obsession it couldn't be done.
Fuck him.
Pretentious old men
>>
>>80893063
Op did the same mistake.
>>
>>80893035
One of the best comics writers of all time.

From Hell is his magnum opus, and it's a stunning example of how comics can be serious works of storytelling without many frills.
>>
>>80892709
Why can't he just be grateful that he made a career out of writing comic books? Thanks to him the comic book medium has become more appreciated by the public. What's his fucking problem?
>>
>>80893140
Ah so he's a has-been. Why should we care again?
>>
Do you think it bothers him when we post about him on the internet
>>
>>80893171
He's jaded that movies ruined his comics by adapting them retardedly for the most part. Watchmen is the only one they didn't butcher. Also that he's not relevant anymore. He's always been a bit of a loon, but age has only made him a cranky loon.
>>
File: ted.jpg (48KB, 395x391px) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
48KB, 395x391px
> Alan Moore doesn't consider Swamp Thing and Watchmen cape comics
>>
>>80892709
Did grandpa Alan get off his meds again
>>
>>80893103
That movie turned out shitty as hell though.
>>
>>80893267
your opinion bro
>>
>>80893228
Swamp Thing is more horror than cape comic in my opinion, but I agree with you on Watchmen.
>>
>>80893287
Some opinions are better than others.
>>
>>80893171
He's going on elderly and believes in magic.

Clearly, he's out of touch with reality.
>>
>>80893267
I'm curious, because I keep seeing a bunch of pissy, ass agitated anons saying it was shit, but I loved it. Sure the sex scene was uncomfortably long, but the rest of the movie was spot-on. I even liked the ending better than the comic. What did you dislike about it? Without vague insults such as "it's for normies" or "shit ____" etc. if you can.
>>
>>80893315
That's what you tell yourself if it makes you feel better at night
>>
>>80892921
>Hasn't he said this twice a year for the last 20 years?

OP image is two years old.
I call this bait.

If anybody gives a shit about the link
>http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/21/superheroes-cultural-catastrophe-alan-moore-comics-watchmen
>>
>>80892709
He is not entirely wrong.

Superhero comic only served for meme, big event and movie.
Non-cape comic actually doing alright, but it's hard to navigate amidst SJW and tumblr heavy fags.
Try to create challenging and thought provoking story, but weak minded people getting offended easily nowadays.
>>
File: Really.png (103KB, 316x382px) Image search: [Google]
Really.png
103KB, 316x382px
>>80893356
>>
>>80892709

Why does anyone care what a washed-up old hobo who worships a snake god says about popular culture?
>>
File: 1362322998010.png (102KB, 273x220px) Image search: [Google]
1362322998010.png
102KB, 273x220px
>>80892709
>giving a shit what Moore has to say
>>
File: Hagrid.jpg (3MB, 2135x2735px) Image search: [Google]
Hagrid.jpg
3MB, 2135x2735px
>>80892709
Moore in a nutshell:
>Americans are dumb
>Capeshit is dumb
>Read my shitty fishrape comic
>>
>>80893341
Characters aren't portrayed particularly well for one. Ozy and Comedian are like cartoons villains throughout unlike the comic for example. I also hate the ending because it doesn't make any sense. The squid is a little goofy in retrospect and its arguable how much more effective it would be but just think, if Dr. blue balls blew all those cities all over the world and then left even if they united together for awhile eventually people are going to start blaming America for using him as a military weapon in the first place. At least with the squid it's a completely outside threat with no one to blame and makes America the only victim. In the movie it just seems like everything would be worse cause everyone would blaming the US for fucking everyone up and turning a literal god against humanity.
>>
Yet again something Moore said years ago in a cheeky way is posted out of context and distilled to a soundbite in order to make it look angry, spiteful and get lots of butthurt replies.

Been a few weeks since I've seen one of these threads.
>>
>Alan Moore starts writing superheroes several decades after the idea gained prominence
>suddenly decides that he's responsible for the whole concept.
>>
>>80893226
>Watchmen is the only one they didn't butcher
>Watchmen movie
>not butchered
>>
File: MIYAZAKI BRO AND HELLA MOORE.png (787KB, 788x1024px) Image search: [Google]
MIYAZAKI BRO AND HELLA MOORE.png
787KB, 788x1024px
>>80892902
>>
Remember when Alan Moore had Harry Potter kill people by shooting lightning out his dick and then getting rekt by Mary Poppins?
>>
>>80898219
I remember this potterfag who is still butthurt about it.
>>
Alan Moore is right about most the stuff he says. He's also one of the nicest people that have worked in the industry. Watch him interact with fans at a book signing, he goes out of his way to make everyone happy.
>>
>>80892709

The thing about Moore is: He wants the adoration of the public and seems to have it in his mind that he can only get that if he is seen as a literary writer. The problem with that is that his comic aren't really literary, they're pulp with some cleverness mixed in. From Hell may be the only exception to that. Morrison at least knows what he is. And they're both good at what they're doing, but Alan hasn't come to terms with being a flashy comic writer.

Moore's a friend of Michael Moorcock, who is someone I would consider a literary writer who deals with some pulpy ideas. For instance, Dancers At The End of Time conveys some deeply unsettling notions about human character and its dependence on its surroundings and it conveys those notions subtly and to the point. I was very surprised to hear that he already wrote that in the 60s or so.

Moore couldn't do something as timeless. He's surface-clever and I like him nonetheless. Sadly, he doesn't seem to like himself too much so he has to elevate himself in the eyes of the public by ridiculing cape comics and by being a pseudo-hermit.
>>
>>80892902
Ghibli does, not Miyazaki
>>
I agree with Moore & still but his Lovecraftian works.

I'm getting to the age where I realize that I continued to buy Marvel's offerings due to nostalgia for a golden age that really wasn't.

Marvel's current horrific content also helped send me packing.
>>
>>80893063
only millennials post on 4chan
>>
>implying he's wrong
>>
>>80893592
Yeah i agree with your point but i always thought how much of a threat are these space squids when you have a literal god on your side.
>>
>>80898522
He doesn't do book signings anymore, though, does he? I remember one time he complained one guy followed him to the shitter so he ragequit after that.
>>
>>80892819
Youre giving him and capes way too much credit
>>
>>80892819
>He's right though
No, no he's really not.
>>
>>80893331
Senile dementia is a terrible thing.
>>
>>80898603
Moorcosk's a crank, too. He rode the trend of New Wave sci-fi, but all it really amounted to was Swords and Sorcery with drugs. He did write some great Blue Oyster Cult songs, though.
>>
>>80893287
I seriously don't understand why people consider the Watchmen movie gold.
I'm convinced its because none of you know anything about what makes a good film and you're all convinced that its good just because it uses the story from the comic panel for panel.
The fucking slow-motion and the idiotic soundtrack alone just kill the film.
When you take a deconstruction but play it completely straight as another generic cape blockbuster, you destroy the message. And thats what the movie was- another generic capeshit film, but this time featuring the watchmen, with shit acting/casting to boot.
>>
>>80893140
>From Hell
>not a godawful Jack the Ripper fanfiction
>>
>>80892852
Miyazaki is against what anime has become, and the otaku culture surrounding it. He doesn't disown the art form completely, and doesn't think people who enjoy his previous works are idiots.
>>
>>80908269
Anyone who enjoys shit like Kiki's Delivery Service is an idiot for sure, though.
>>
>>80908269
Miyazaki doesn't know much about anime or otaku, so his opinions on both are inconsequential. People have built him up as this voice of authority that he actually isn't.
>>
File: 1357800512809.gif (284KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1357800512809.gif
284KB, 267x200px
>>80908406
How can you hate Kiki's Delivery Service?
Not enough waifus for you to fuck?
>>
>>80908406
Come on dude, I'm reading a thread minding my own business and you do this shit to me
>>
File: the man with no taste.jpg (74KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
the man with no taste.jpg
74KB, 800x449px
>>80908406
>>
>>80908495
>likes boring waifushit garbage like Kiki
>accuses others of being waifufags
Oh, the irony
>>80908600
NO U
>>
>>80892709
When was the last time Moore made a comic worth reading?

Ten years ago? More?

He's a dottering old dinosaur with nothing left to offer except his ego-stroking rape comics. I'm sure he's love for you to believe that Neonomicon was just the deepest thing since ur mum.

Let him go. Let him wile away in obscurity until he needs the dosh and signs away the rights to make a shitty Nemo movie.
>>
>>80908824
There doesn't exist any such thing as waifushit.
>>
>>80892709

>dangerous distraction

How so? How can it possibly be dangerous?

I work 30-40 hours a day tired and sometimes I just want to come home to watch super heroes fight each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OqzABzvzc

How can this possibly be endangering?
>>
>>80908824
Kiki's entertaining because of the whole young adult/growing up spiel and how Kiki handles it, on top of the fantasy elements adding spice to the mix and having overall charming characters besides Kiki.
I can understand having a dislike for slice-of-life and related media, but hating on Kiki's delivery service for no discernible reason past /a/ buzzwords just shows you are the retard in this equation.
Its like people who don't like Ghibli's less fantasy themed movies, you just seem retarded for not liking them on the singular basis that they're not in the same genre as the rest.
>>
>>80909019
Like most social liberals he's just getting in a huff about some strawman he made up.
In this case he's decrying capeshit as raising a bunch of immature manchildren that in turn lead to the downfall of civilization.
>>
>>80893592
>America the only victim
?
>>
>>80909074

Then I guess I'll be the immature manchildren. at least I have money.
>>
>>80909074
Yeah! He's right! Kids need to grow up with wholesome comics about prostitution, grisly murder, and rape!

>"And then the fish-man goes 'GRAAAAA' and shoots a wad of putrid semen all over the naked and vulnerable blonde."
>"I wanna see the pictures, mommy!"
>>
>>80909173

manchild*
>>
>>80893592
Also death by squid is a lot more horrifying than instant disintegration by mr. blue. The scene of absolute carnage and the viscerality of the victims last moments leaves more of an impression on the media in-universe as well as on the reader.

It gives a better idea of the weight of Ozy's decision. He's not blinking people out of existence, he's killing them. It's easy to vouch for a "end's justifies the means" solution when the results are clean but it's not meant to be easy and in reality, it's rarely clean.
A big absurd squid monster is a better reflection of the conflict, the characters and the world. The war, the heroes and the villains were all grotesque and ridiculous, even Ozymandias. Only something more grotesque and ridiculous could put them back in their places.
>>
>>80909026
>Kiki's entertaining
Good joke.
>how Kiki handles it
Melodramatically, badly, etc.
>charming characters
You mean bland and forgettable like the rest of the movie
>no discernible reason
The reason is that it's an awful melodramatic piece of trash with no redeeming qualities.

By the way, maybe if you didn't respond with buzzwords, you didn't get a response with buzzwords back, so that point is moot. But I guess it's too much to ask from a dumb faggot who likes Kiki.
>>
>>80909429
>The reason is that it's an awful melodramatic piece of trash with no redeeming qualities.
Maximum bait. Or butthurt. Hard to tell.
>>
>>80909588
Or just truth you don't want to hear.
Miyazaki was never good at writing stuff that doesn't scream "TEAR UP IT'S EMOTIONAL YOU SHOULD CRY" so obnoxiously it makes you want to laugh instead, anyway.
>>
>>80909728
>Or just truth you don't want to hear.
When you say the movie is trash with no redeeming qualities you're also saying the background art, animation and music are trash. Which is just ludicrous. So you're either baiting or butthurt.
>>
>>80909849
I mean the writing standpoint, genius.
I know /co/ and /tv/ love the "visual medium" meme, but art and animation are not what makes movies great.
And music is shit. Japs are inherently incapable of creating good music.
>>
Anyone talking about Kiki's Delivery Service in this thread is being trolled.
>>
>>80892709
>NOHO
No Homo?
>>
>>80909429
That's just your terrible opinion m8.
I guess its too much to ask to have someone with such a retarded opinion to have a critique that doesn't entirely revolve around the singular use of the word "melodrama".
>>
>>80909931
>any opinion I disagree with is trolling
Go away Ghiblifag.
>>
>>80909926
>I mean the writing standpoint, genius.
No you didn't.

>Japs are inherently incapable of creating good music.
Anime has the highest music quality among soundtrack music, and Japanese games generally have better music than Western games.

I'm going to go with "butthurt" because you seem really upset.
>>
>>80892709
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhI1pZWxCcA
>>
>>80909981
Maybe that's just because "bad melodrama" sums up the movie rather nicely. I mean, it's all there is to it. The movie has the depth of a puddle despite clumsily and unsubtly trying to tackle transition into adulthood, none of the characters have any personality beyond being one/two-dimensional, the dialogue is dull. You can't say much about a movie that doesn't even offer much.

>>80910105
>games music
>ever good
And by the way even hacks like Philip Glass or Danny Elfman are better than any "music" Japs create anyway.
>>
>>80892709
Why dosen't Moore undo time with his wizard powers?
>>
>>80910313
What's unsubtle about it?
What makes the characters fall flat to you?
Its like what, an hour and a half or so? Are you expecting something like Catcher in the Rye to unfold in under 2 hours?
What makes it a "bad melodrama"?
All of this shit just boils down to you having a terrible opinion and giving incredibly vague defenses of that shit opinion.
You can hate slice-of-life shit, thats fine, but if you can't critique it you should stop trying and just let your shit taste stand on its own lack of merits.
>>
>>80908833
Providence that's currently coming out.
>>
>>80910508
>What's unsubtle about it?
What isn't? If any idiot can tell the heavy-handed message a movie has, it's unsubtle.
>What makes the characters fall flat to you?
Maybe that they all have three personality traits at very best?
>Its like what, an hour and a half or so? Are you expecting something like Catcher in the Rye to unfold in under 2 hours?
>I-IT COULDN'T BE GOOD ANYWAY
Then fuck off.
>What makes it a "bad melodrama"?
It's obnoxiously obviously trying to tug on the viewer's heartstrings. There's no actual sincerity in any of the scenes that are supposed to be emotional, just the cold attempt to make the viewer cry.
>can't criticize
Or maybe the movie is too shallow to give it non-shallow criticisms?

>terrible opinion
>shit taste
Right back at you.
>>
>>80907920
>I seriously don't understand why people consider the Watchmen movie gold.

It's either /tv/ posters or /co/-/tv/ crossposters pushing it.
>>
>>80910313
>games music
>ever good
Video game music doesn't mean incoherent bleeps and bloops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2tL6XD49s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8KEZ4kr-Xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgpWhd80ldQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9L-QzakeiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxhBnHgY-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrggyNW3kl4

>And by the way even hacks like Philip Glass or Danny Elfman are better than any "music" Japs create anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TawN_4icG_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPtfzOgL28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVbd-lS2X4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1g9RqpcaEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeNa_BiZb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQafisGNR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw19XDSB0ZI
>>
>>80892709
His beard looks less like a beard and more like a fungus. I'm not against people having beards, but that thing looks like it's eating him.
>>
>>80902151

I'm not a Millennial.
>>
>>80911499
No, it means generic crescendocore and shitty rock/pop.
>>
>>80911715
None of the examples I just provided are anything like that.
>>
>>80893592

The squid is a reference to Ronald Reagan's crazy "If aliums attacked Earth, we'd all put aside our differences and come together" notion.

Art (sort of) imitating real life.
>>
>>80909074
complaining about men not being traditional mens's men sounds way more conservative than liberal.
>>
>>80909429
Holy shit, i havent even seen the movie and i can see your argument is all kinds of faulty.
>>
>>80892852
that is the meme that op is referencing, yes
>>
>>80893592
Comedian was the best part though.
>>
>>80909019
>How so? How can it possibly be dangerous?
Because reading comics distracts you from being a degenerate hippie, just like Moore.
>>
>>80910313
>he doesn't enjoy Journey, Castlevania, Ragnarok and God of War soundtracks
I can't even care about anything garbage you say.
>>
>>80907301

Much of his output is clearly just meant to keep him alive, yes. But Jerry Cornelius is at least innovative and as I said Dancers At The End of Time is even subtle and nuanced (especially for the time it was written in). The guy knew how to do it and did it. Just not always.
>>
>>80902630
No, the people following him into the bathroom thing is why he quit conventions, back in the 80s.
>>
File: amikawaii.jpg (15KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
amikawaii.jpg
15KB, 240x240px
>>80908437
>>80908406
>BUUAHHH MIYAZAKI SAID MEAN THINGS ABOUT MUH CHILD PORN!!! HE'S A MEANIE
>>
>>80924391
What child porn? I think you're confusing him with someone else.
>>
>>80905964
He kind of really is,anon. It is obviously not just comic books and their surrogates.
>>
He should give the millions of dollars he made on the comics back then
>>
This coming from the man whose attempt at Lovecraft was dozens of pages of fishrape?
>>
>>80924391
funny how miyazaki himself is a closet pedo
>>
Is this news? Hasn't he said this a dozen times over the last 20 years?
>>
>>80925070
Based on what?
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.