[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do the villains keep up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 3047516-ww_blitzes_amazo.jpg (86KB, 600x541px) Image search: [Google]
3047516-ww_blitzes_amazo.jpg
86KB, 600x541px
So I came across a thing earlier about Thor Vs Wonder Woman. I'm a big Marvel fan and thought 'well man that'd be a cool fight'. Cos I figured Thor is this ancient mystical warrior type with a magic weapon and super strength and flight and such. And Wonder woman is pretty much likewise. Shes based on a different mythos and has different tools but the two have their similarities as far as I knew. So in my head i figured (based on less than stellar wonder woman knowledge) that it would be kind of an even fight.

But apparently the thread was pretty overwhelming in the idea that Wonder Woman would speed blitz him and dismantle him in nanoseconds. That shes not flash speed but still moves at near light or some crazy shit. And I realized I heard similar stuff about supes, and martian manhunter, captain atom, even heard green lanterns can automatically react with their rings anything above speed of sound. So it made me wonder...are all their villains just that fucking fast.

Cos mind you marvel has their speedsters and super super fast types like Silver Surfer. but even in his case its more travel speed not combat speed exactly. Not that SS isn't silly in his power feats outside of that.

But I would have to imagine most of the DC big hitter villains would need to be whatever their schtick is....AND really really really fucking fast in order to not instantly be dismantled by the hero.

Is that the case or is it more like consistent PIS situations like Black Panther getting the surfer into a fucking arm bar, or Gladiator being beaten by gods own faggot Gambit?
>>
really, it doesn't matter, none of it's consistent
Flash can evacuate an entire city while the nuclear bomb is forming it's mushroom cloud but still get totally owned by Deathstroke
>>
some of them are just as fast like Cheetah and Zoom, some of them have enough defense that the surprise brought by speed is negated by accurate attacks, there ae those who use area attacks and telekensis/telepathy to limit the options of movement, there are also those who remove the speed advantage like the Turtle, then there are people like the rogues who specialize and plan against speedsters.
>>
>>80820224
>someone besides me remembered that Diana has super speed
Huh.
>>
>>80820224
>that pic
That shit just looks like laziness to me.
>>
A lot of the time they literally just forget to use it, or at least the writers do.

It's one of those things you just accept in fiction, like how people can somehow speak entire sentences in the time between two punches.
>>
They mostly don't, that's why they lose
>>
>>80820466
Trust me, you bring up a DC vs marvel situation...every fucking feat is remembered.

Go look up a comicvine thread involving thor. It blows my mind how many obscure powers he has had through the ages. Sure lightning and flight and strength and shit.
Hey he can hear prayers, and make it snow, and control tectonic plates, and sense dimensional barriers....cos fuck it THOR.
>>
Okay so heres a question. And this is coming from a mostly marvel fan who only occasionally reads DC stuff. But I have noticed alot of the big time JLA members have kinda gotten a juice up over the years (mind you some got brought back down post crisis like superman cos shit got ridiculous). Flash is the one who comes to mind. I know hes super fast but I remember the thinking and reacting so fast he can perceive picoseconds and evacuating a city as a nuke goes off. And I always kinda wondered if the reason alot of the members of the JLA seem to up in ability (Batgod, Flash speed, Aquaman strength and psychic power) is so they can match up to superman and thus have a reason to fight alongside him.

Is that like a shared belief among DC readers or is it more likely they just developed naturally as the years went on.
>>
>>80820665
It's funny that people mock Superman but not Thor about this, I mean most of the ridiculous stuff Superman does are not really super-powers per se, but rather different applications of his powers, like sewing things fast

While Thor, it's more like "I'll use the magnetic energy of my hammer to cure little Tim of his diarrhea"
>>
>>80820809
I know. I think it's two fold. Thor spends alot of time doing semi cosmic shit while occasionally visiting earth (typically with the avengers). I think with supes it's the fact that people still think of him as the guy protecting metropolis. And its like....thats fucking ridiculous thered just be no crime in metropolis. If batman or spider-man were defending metropolis sure yeah makes sense. But having a guy who can crack planets and sneeze out stars (hehe) stopping a runaway bank heist just seems ludicrous. Even though I imagine most of the time that isn't what superman does anymore.
>>
>>80820792
I don't think it has anything to do with the JL as a team at all and it's kind of weird to me that you'd make that connection. Most power creep occurs in a character's solo and seems mostly to be the result of a writer trying to one-up their previous stories in cool applications of the powers.
>>
>>80821041
Well I mostly notice it because theyre all the guys who work with superman. Seemed to make sense cos I don't recall much of it with the characters who are never in the JLA with him or only occasionally.
>>
Thor has super-speed too though. Like straight up last Thor issue, moved from Earth to Jupiter in a second or two while fighting.
>>
>>80821420
Yeah it's kinda weird because it is really inconsistent with him. He has done some serious speed feats but then later will be about as fast as just a really fast dude.

I guess it's just comics. Gotta make em tough but also create conflict
>>
>>80820224
Thor doesn't do well against blitz in general, never mind a proper speedster.
>>
>>80820809
Thor is a Norse god. You expect crazy powers and shit from gods.
>>
>>80821469
Thor jobs constantly on team books and Marvel doesn't have the highest tier of power that DC does in its universe consistently (Marvel cosmic can be on the JLA/DC cosmic level but often isn't). If it did, Thor would be up there: he has a massive list of Silver Age total bullshit powers to match Superman, and he's been repeatedly shown to be FTL.
>>
>>80820977
No one thinks that. He's portrayed most often as Earth, and sometimes space.
>>
>>80821511
And so do you expect crazy powers and shit from aliens
>>
>>80821487
Man i hated that helmet.
>>
>>80821653
Only sciency ones.
>>
>>80821691
as opposed to like...magical aliens. shit are their magical aliens in DC or Marvel?
>>
>>80821798
A lot of Dr. Strange's enemies are extradimensionals you could go visit using SCIENCE. That dark priest Hulk brought back from the planet he conquered taught him to not get instantly fucked by Strange too, so some aliens just plain have magic. Similar things are true of the subdimensions in DC. Anywhere Swamp Thing can go under his own power can be got to using SCIENCE, and that includes places like Hell, Gemworld, any person's mind, alternate pasts and futures, and virtual computer worlds. And he totally learned magic from that plant person Green Lantern with a beak who got killed in Rotworld so he could return to Earth.
>>
File: cQ2XIHD.jpg (430KB, 600x2788px) Image search: [Google]
cQ2XIHD.jpg
430KB, 600x2788px
I hate the Thor is slow meme
>>
>>80821487
Well, he is dealing with spidey and his combat precognition. Spidey can move out of the way the moment thor even reacts to it. And it's not that spidey is a speedster, he's pretty much cheating.
>>
>>80822353
And before any one complains spidey's reaction time is and has always been fucking godly.
>>
>>80821798
DC has a Sorcerers World that I think was started by human settlers but aliens with magic show up there too.
>>
>>80822353
>the moment thor even reacts to it.
He can move before someone even thinks of an attack. It is actual precognition, not psychic or just very fast reflexes, although he has those too. He doesn't even need to be aware of a threat to dodge it. You couldn't tag him with a sniper, for example. He'd be flipping through the air a mile away before he could even think "I wonder why I did that. Probably something bad". Like that time some shumck in Vegas tried to get him with a bazooka, and he veered out of range without having ever spotted the guy. Peter David's Joe Fixit run, I think.
>>
File: 1387400952669.jpg (110KB, 710x414px) Image search: [Google]
1387400952669.jpg
110KB, 710x414px
>>80820665
>Hey he can hear prayers, and
All Marvel gods of magical origin can do that.

>make it snow,
Weather manipulation.

>and control tectonic plates,
Obtained from Elder God heritage via mother.

>and sense dimensional barriers....cos fuck it THOR.
Majority of the might-end magic beings in Marvel are capable of that.
>>
>>80822353
But Thor can outright deflect bullets with Mjolnir. He have fought the lights of Gladiator and Silver Surfer and won. The latter 2 are significantly faster than Spider-man in terms of speed and reflexes.
>>
>>80824120
Blocking where a gun is aiming is probably easier than hitting Spiderman.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.