[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where was Hal during JLU? Why didn't he exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

File: JLUpromo.jpg (79KB, 424x605px) Image search: [Google]
JLUpromo.jpg
79KB, 424x605px
Where was Hal during JLU? Why didn't he exist?
>>
Different continuity. Not every character has to exist. Jason Todd didn't.
>>
File: Oh My Guardians.gif (422KB, 352x288px) Image search: [Google]
Oh My Guardians.gif
422KB, 352x288px
>>80786582
More than likely DC mandate. They previously used Kyle Rayner in STAS, but gave him Hal's origin.

John was made the GL literally for diversity. And while a lot of anons like to bitch about this, I dunno, I liked how they handled John, particularly his dynamics within the group. He was basically an original character on JLU anyway.
>>
>>80786665
>>80786665
Yeah, I really like John I think he's a good GL. Hell I'd be okay with the remake of the GL movie having John as the GL.

Can we have a JLU thread?
>>
>>80786582
A newspaper blowing in the wind covered his face, he bounced off a bird, fell into a billboard sign, and knocked himself out.
>>
File: JLU Dance Hypo.gif (115KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
JLU Dance Hypo.gif
115KB, 290x231px
>>80786701
You got it my nigga

why was Lex so based in this adaptation and so shit in all others?
>>
>>80786665
His role in the group was largely superfluous though. That league was long on no-nonsense gravitas. Kyle would have been a great counterpoint to Wally and could have been the newbie. Hal would have been a good heel. John's most important contribution to the show was the Hawkgirl romance, which while an important aspect of the show demonstrates his lack of character. I like John, but it's hard not to view it as a wasted opportunity.
>>
>>80786582
>Why didn't he exist?
His status quo in comics was fucked at the time and they went with John for diversity purposes anyway

Hal did get a little cameo
>>
>>80786811
Why didn't they just adapt any number of the perfectly created stories for the movie universe? Why didn't they give Timm the keys to the kingdom?
>>
>>80786582
Just pretend Green Lantern Animated was canon to the DCAU and he was off in space with Aya and Razer while Steward held the fort on Earth.
>>
>>80786811
Honestly this show was so based. It is probably the greatest DC ---show ever. All of the VAs were amazing and the 2nd season was great.
>>
>>80786582
But he did.
https://youtu.be/Q0CiiPCePck
>>
Where was Barry during JLU?
Why didn't he exist?
>>
>>80786867
If you scratch either the Kyle episode of STAS (and maybe the following reference in JL) or the Sinestro episode of GLTAS, they fit fine.
>>
>>80786582
Somewhere off camera because they wanted the show to be successful and no one other than H.E.A.T. members care about him.
>>
>>80786826
I dunno, yeah you could argue that with Hawkgirl and Bats, but John was the only one that acted like a drill sargent. I liked the ideas that he's been a lantern so long, he doesn't even identify with humanity that much, that short of Vixen, he seemed to only be interested in alien women, that he has an actual military background and that's what caused him to bond with Hawkgirl or personally oversee Supergirl's training.

I don't think Hal would have contributed in the same way.
>>
File: Hal_Jordan.png (71KB, 250x289px)
Hal_Jordan.png
71KB, 250x289px
>>80786582
Hal never gets the ring because Abin Sur's ring went to Kyle Rayner, and later you can see Hal Jordan's jet wrecked.

So Hal exists in the DCU, he just isn't a Green Lantern.

When the timeline starts getting fucky, Hal takes John Stewart's place in the timeline temporarily.
>>
File: what the fuck.gif (459KB, 200x158px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.gif
459KB, 200x158px
>>80786865
I wonder he was put in charge constantly. Man of Steel was trash, BvS looks just as bad. It's obvious he'll do a shit job with JL.

And maybe he's not my personal cup of tea, but he's undoubtably someone that delivers work that gets mixed reception. To put him at the head of everything is just dumb.

>b-but his movies make money
Nigga, any fucking directors movie could make money with the Superman or Batman properties.
>>
>>80787402
I was thinking that Batman and J'onn were the ones who largely filled the roles that John played. Even Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl had the militaristic attitude as well. If they had fleshed him out beyond his background and the occasional wise crack and included something like the alienation you suggested then I think he would have been a much better character. I had forgotten about his mentorship of Kara, that was another positive, although once again a role that could have easily been filled by other leaguers.
>>
File: flash.png (2MB, 1726x966px) Image search: [Google]
flash.png
2MB, 1726x966px
>it's a Flash's rogue gallery tries to take him down episode
>>
File: Flash Hungry.gif (420KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Flash Hungry.gif
420KB, 320x240px
>>80787105
Timm has always been about using modern ideas when they fit.

For example, even in BTAS, Dick used Tim's outfit. Clayface had Matt Hagen's name even though he was closer to Basil Karlo in background.

Originally, when they were pitching to WB, they were told they wanted some kid characters involved, so instead of Flash, Impulse was on the team.

When they went to CN, who actually did greenlight JL, they reverted to the classic team, but traded Hawkgirl for Aquaman so there could be another woman.

They wanted to keep a youthful member on the team, so they made it Flash, who is a composite of Impulse and how Wally was initially portrayed as being really self centred and womanizing before Waid's legendary run.

Revealing him to ultimately be Wally just made sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUryP8qnVw
>>
>>80786846
When?
>>
>>80787977
God i miss Wally

Also why did hawkgirl never get a push in the comics you'd think dc Would have capitalized on her momentum

they did with john but not enough hoenstly
>>
>>80788345
In the episode with Chronos, time gets all fucked and John disappears but Hal appears saying that John never became GL so Hal was still the GL.
>>
>>80786811
Clancy Brown
>>
Better question is where was Kyle.
>>
>>80788799
in space
>>
>>80787977
>tfw based Wally and Kyle are codified as definitive by way of the Timmverse and Morrison's JLA
nu52 can suck a cock
>>
>>80788591
She kinda did

I mean she started showing up a lot more in group shots and making actual cameos

When McDuffie himself started writing JLA, she was a pretty substantial member of the team, what with her Red Arrow romance.
>>
File: hal is the cutest spectre.png (177KB, 264x284px) Image search: [Google]
hal is the cutest spectre.png
177KB, 264x284px
In the comics, Hal was Spectre at the time when this came out and Barry was dead, so they used Wally and John ( Wally and Kyle would have made more sense comic-wise, but they needed some diversity, so )
>>
>>80787977
>composite of Impulse and how Wally was initially portrayed

This is why I don't like to think of him as a proper version of Wally. Humor was too goofy rather than the dry asshole that was early Wally who I enjoyed. Not a bad character on his own but definitely NOT MUH.
>>
File: Hawkman (2002-2006) 016-002.jpg (750KB, 1074x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkman (2002-2006) 016-002.jpg
750KB, 1074x1650px
>>80788926
You got Hawksnarled.

Kendra Saunders and Shayera Thal were never the same characters.
>>
File: Beating sense into you.gif (2MB, 576x324px) Image search: [Google]
Beating sense into you.gif
2MB, 576x324px
>>80788975
Yeah its kinda weird, especially when in JLU in the final season they gave him Barry's job and its like, but this version of Wally is just a functioning retard

Personally, I was more bothered how his rogues were barely shown and when they were, they weren't treated as threatening. Captain Cold was a motivationless Mr. Freeze. And for all the writers' bitching about how hard it is to write Flash competently, they never once introduced another speedster. How the fuck did they never use Zoom?
>>
>>80789039
goddamn hawkshit is confusing as fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 480x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 480x514px
>>80787519
>>
>>80789208
I don't think the DCAU did much for any villain who wasn't on BTAS or STAS first.
>>
>>80788799
he was with the GLC wasn't he? he showed up in a cameo with them later

>>80788859
Hal and Barry are the definitive Flash and GL, sorry anon
>>
>>80786582
I'm pretty sure we saw him in the episode "The Return". He was on Oa when Amazo moved it to another dimension.
>>
File: luthorscakes.gif (793KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
luthorscakes.gif
793KB, 300x167px
>>80789448
I dunno, Despero, AMAZO, Hades, Chronos, Faust, Eiling, Killer Frost and Waller were treated pretty well.

But goddamn, did they fuck up Cheetah and Sinestro hard. Which is really weird cause Sinestro's STAS portrayal was solid.
>>
>>80788764
What he said was, "Hal Jordan, another time shift. I'm up to speed, carry on."
>>
>>80786582
He showed up in that time travel episode. From what he said looks like he and John know each other
>>
>>80787087
>>80788345
>>
File: hal_is_sinestros_slave.jpg (847KB, 1200x1023px) Image search: [Google]
hal_is_sinestros_slave.jpg
847KB, 1200x1023px
>>80789888
Maybe, it's because there was no Hal for Sinestro to mentor or enslave. And most of Sinestro's character development was in Johns' GL run, which started 2004 and ended about a decade later.
>>
>>80789551
Kyle and Wally will always be better characters.
>>
>>80790692
Thats true, but Sinestro being the mentor was always there.

If Kyle got the same ring origin as Hal, it stands to reason they'd go the teacher route with Sinestro too.

But even with ignoring that, its bizarre to see Sinestro give a shit about earth currency in JLU.
>>
>>80789888
They also could've handled The Shade better, but having to explain his backstory might be a bit of a hassle, and there were other immortals in the cast.
>>
Does GLTAS exist in JL continuity
>>
>>80791277
No, its its own thing.
>>
>>80789551
Why Hal and Barry? Why not Alan Scott and Jay Garrick?
>>
>>80792112
All the people who grew up with Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern are probably dead, and the Silver Age was the last time anyone could be permanently replaced.

You can found a lot of Golden Age fans going not muh Green Lantern, Flash, Atom, or Hawkman in the letters of old Silver Age comics.
>>
>>80790895
>Thats true, but Sinestro being the mentor was always there.
That was only a thing since the early 90s and after Emerald Dawn II it didn't really come into play again until Johns GL so I'm not surprised the DCAU ignored it
>>
>>80790848
Whatever helps you sleep at night, anon
>>
File: tips conspiracy.jpg (11KB, 300x255px)
tips conspiracy.jpg
11KB, 300x255px
>m'huntress
>>
File: Numbuh 1.jpg (14KB, 365x277px) Image search: [Google]
Numbuh 1.jpg
14KB, 365x277px
>it's a joker episode
>>
>>80786582
Because Bruce Timm hates him, as much as he loves Batman.
>>
>>80788859
>>
>>80790149
>>80786846
I'm almost sure you see Hal in a group shot with the other Lanterns in JLU.
>>
>>80786582

John was a good choice. Flash needed a straight man to bounce off of and neither Superman or Batman quite fit that role
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.